1.42/5
Based on 78 reviews that contain star ratings
Are you this business? Claim your page

82 Philips Sonicare Toothbrush Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 24, 2019

I have had my Sonicare set just over two years and the battery will now no longer charge. I know people who have very old Sonicare and they still hold a charge and work. I was recommended this product by my dentist - I think dentist should change their recommendations because they must be thinking of the Sonicare company of the past which made products that were quite reliable. The company has really changed the beat of its drum. I feel ripped off having spent almost $200 for this product and have very little respect for this company that is mass producing these landfill destined items.

Original review: March 21, 2019

This thing is crap. I bought the first gen Oral B years ago and it still works. Bought this garbage not even 2 years ago and only get about 30 seconds worth of charge on it. Going back to the old Oral B and if it ever dies, I'll get the newer version of that.

Get expert buying tips about Personal Care Products delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I purchased the Philips Sonicare Toothbrush, model number HX9340, on 8/28/2014. The product performed well, giving my teeth a very thorough cleaning, especially at removing plaque. Much better than a typical hand operated toothbrush. However, after about 4.5 years of daily use, the brush suddenly had greatly diminished vibrations. The metal spindle at the tip of the handle, which the brush sits on, which transfers the vibration to the brush, was very loose.

Went to the Philips website, but there is very little information about what replacement parts are available, and when I entered the date of purchase, the first thing that comes up is that your product is out of warranty (mine had a two year warranty, so that is true). Then you are directed to an online purchase site... To purchase a new handle. Apparently the handle assembly is not repairable. At one point the website offered me a 15% discount coupon, but during the registration process to get that coupon, the form is locked into UK address. Since I live in USA, I cannot complete the form.

Terrible customer service, and lack of support for their products, which apparently are throw away products after just a few short years. I have a Philips shaver, that has a similar problem. The transmission component (which is plastic) which transfers the vibration into a side to side motion at the cutter tip, was so worn, that it could not overcome the friction on the cutter head, even with extra lubricating oil.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

Bought my Sonicare right after the New Year 2018. I sent in my receipt to get a rebate. Never got the rebate and now my toothbrush is on the fritz... It turns on by itself and if I put it on the charger it makes beeping sounds every few seconds! Going through all my receipts from last Jan I couldn't find the original receipt... Now I remember why... I don't have it anymore and didn't get a rebate. I'm basically screwed on both ends! WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER PHILIPS PRODUCT AGAIN. I will also tell others not to buy a Philips product. BUYER BEWARE.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Hugely disappointed with this product. Had been a Braun user for many years but at the recommendation of dental hygienist, purchased a Philips Sonicare. The power dwindled to the point of no power. The machine has not been dropped, wiped regularly and brush heads replaced. At first I thought it was the individual replacement toothbrush heads and replaced a few times thinking perhaps faulty unit(s). However, having repeated with no change, and costly process, I am now convinced it is the toothbrush unit itself. In speaking to people about this, I appear not to be the only one who is disheartened. At a cost of close to $300, one would think a longer life span could be had! I have returned to using my good old Braun which I have had for over ten years! Shame on Philips Sonicare. The responsible thing would be to pull the product!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Phillips?

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Sonicare should just tell you to throw your toothbrush away after they have replaced it once because they offer no help when the replacement stops working in less than a year. They have a good name, but it’s unwarranted if the product doesn’t last.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I wish I could write something good about products I use, but unfortunately it's not happening. I absolutely agree with other negative reviews. I am a dentist trying to test different products so that I have a better idea of what to recommend to my patients. My Philips local rep stopped by my office and recommended Sonicare electric toothbrush last year. I and my wife used it for little over a year, then mine stopped working. Since it was under warranty, they asked me to send it back and I did. Through Encompass, I got a new one shipped probably in a couple of weeks, but the case was missing. When I contacted the customer service, I was asked why I sent the case. I thought I had to send everything back since there was no instruction. When I mentioned that, they sent me a new case.

The real issue was one that my wife used. Her Sonicare stopped working 2 weeks after mine broke. I followed the same steps, but didn't receive anything for almost 2 months. I finally contacted the Encompass and they asked me to talk to Philips customer service. When I spoke with them, they said, it was already shipped 2 months ago. When I asked them to verify the name and address, they sent me the link of FedEx tracking service and found that it was different person and different state. When I told them about it, they asked me to contact the FedEx. I was so upset at this point and told them to contact FedEx. They kept asking me to contact the FedEx, but I told them I didn't even know what to say to FedEx since it was delivered to a wrong person at wrong address.

I finally told them that I was going to write a complaint letter to my local rep and the company and as soon as I said that, they offered me a new one with expedited shipping. It's been 3 weeks and my wife still doesn't have her toothbrush. I bought her Oral-B and she is doing fine with it. I am terrified with Philips customer service and the products. I have recommended Sonicare toothbrush to a lot of my patients every day, but I am no longer doing it.

Here is why you should not use Sonicare toothbrush: 1. It breaks down within a year or two. 2. It is more expensive compared to Oral-B; although its design looks better, Oral-B's circular brushing motion seems to be working better for the gum and teeth. 3. Poor customer service 4. Replacement brush head is more expensive compared to Oral-B.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

I have had five Sonicare toothbrushes. They offer excellent cleaning, but invariably fail within 18 months. The price of replacement is now too high, and I'm switching. Very disappointed with Philips whose reputation is better than this product deserves.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I recently had my pink DiamondClean toothbrush die. Since it’s still under warranty, I called Philips. I provided model NBR and serial NBR from bottom. I was told I’d be receiving e-mail from Encompass about a replacement and was told to mail my defective one via FedEx. I did that day. The following day I got an e-mail from Encompass that a WHITE replacement was being sent. I called them immediately since mine was a more expensive pink model. They told me to call Philips. I did so immediately and customer service told me she’d cancel the white and send a pink with 2-day shipping. I then got an e-mail that it was too late to cancel the white and it had been shipped. This was all same day. I called again and was told the pink was on hold.

Today is a new day and I had not gotten a shipping notice for the pink handle. I called this morning and was told that the white (incorrectly sent by THEM - model NBR of my original tells them it’s pink!) had to arrive here first (not due for another FIVE DAYS!), send it back, then they’ll ship pink. In the meantime, I will be without an electric toothbrush for over two weeks due to their error. I asked for a supervisor and was told one will call me. It’s been over two hours. I’m not holding my breath but this is my last Philips product!!!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

This is my second Sonicare toothbrush. I didn’t get the diamond. I got the one below that either not to get the best one out of anything but mine in the store. I wanna see which one around problem with the toothbrush. I don’t mind paying $30 for three heads kiss my mouth clean. Maybe you shouldn’t drop yours and tell the truth why doesn’t work.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I bought a set of kid toothbrushes from Costco. Just about 4 months later, one of the toothbrushes started having issue, stopping every 10 seconds. I was trying to contact customer service to have it replaced since it is well within the warranty. They asked me for receipt which I had registered on Philips.com with receipt attached! They said they could not see it through their system and they asked if you I could find my confirmation email for the registration which I could either. So they asked me to sent it to **. On top of it, I re-registered it on the web again to get an confirmation email about the registration! Contacted them again, still asking for prove of purchase! I repeatedly tell them I re-register the product on the website and I have confirmation email this time. They simply ignored what I had said and kept asking for receipt! How ignorant!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

We purchased a Philips Sonicare Diamond Toothbrush about 11 months ago, well within the warranty. About a week ago, the toothbrush stopped working. We brought this matter to the customer service on the phone, and only learned by surprised that Philips has recently (early Aug 2018) changed their warranty policy without noticing any of their existing customers. In addition, the agent stated that since they have just changed the policy, they do not need to honor the old policy we received as we bought the product. Is this even legal???

Anyway, in our case, it resonants with a previous case I read here posted also Aug. 2018! Basically, Philips refuses to send us a replacement unless we sent the defect product first. However, this causes additional inconvenience! Shouldn't the customers' interest be placed at the first?! In comparison, the old (pre-Aug. 2018) Philips policy is to first send a replacement, then customers return the defect product. The reason I brought up the Aug. 2018 post I read here is that, it seems crazy to me that Philips can just abruptly change their policy. In this case, the customer is so unlucky, if the case was brought up literally a few days earlier, then he/she can be treated differently! How can this happen in America?

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

Ordered a warranty replacement brush after 1 year as the one I had stopped working intermittently during the brushing cycle. Replacement process was PAINFUL. Got email confirmation replacement was on the way from their supply chain partner Encompass. NEVER sent, for a month, had to go thru the process again and 'fight' for what was promised the first time. Replacement has now exhibited SAME problems 6 weeks in. So had to call AGAIN to replace. I was hung up on twice because reps can't work the phone system, promised a call back from a 'busy' supervisor, 4 hours later nothing. Finally call for the 4th time in one day (service???) only to be told the new policy is they won't ship the new brush until you send back the old one.

When I asked why, they said because some people didn't return the old one. So, rather than find a system to penalize those that don't follow the rules (maybe ask for a card # to hold to charge if the old one not returned), the choice is to penalize EVERYONE for bad behavior by some. I have extremely sensitive teeth so the option of having to go back to a regular brush for a month + while Philips receives back my old brush and sends me a new one. Let's not mention the SAME issue happened, and they STILL will not replace the charging base as well as the handle. LOUSY product development, lousy customer service. Will not pay good money for another Sonicare again.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

I owned 3 Philips Sonicare DiamondClean toothbrushes - ALL 3 stopped working after the end of the second year; which coincidentally is when the warranty comes to an end... this is a simple toothbrush that uses a vibrating coil to help clean teeth... Philips either can't produce a simple toothbrush that lasts beyond the warranty... It is negligent for Philips to design products that fail on the 2nd anniversary of the warranty (expires). That is the same as conspiring to make customers buy the same product over & over again. That is not called a purchase, that is called a subscription. Notwithstanding the fact that there are YouTube videos online showing how Philips are using substandard rechargeable batteries when they can use superior batteries. At this price point, it was unfair to expect customer to throw away good money after bad, replacing a £140+ toothbrush every two years. Cars are more reliable.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

This toothbrush is simply junk. I have had it replaced 5 times and it runs for about 2 weeks normally then it gets intermittent and then stops working. I have had them do MANY odd things like starting when I was in the other room. This is made in China and is truly junk. I have a 10 year old model that my son uses and it still works. They know there is a problem and the fact that they continue to sell it is unscrupulous. They should be ashamed of themselves. I have the Diamond Clean. Don't make the mistake.

Original review: July 22, 2018

So according to a guy on YouTube who shows you how to replace the crappy battery Phillips puts in its toothbrushes, the rechargeable battery they use just stops working after a year. I think I've had my toothbrush less than a year. Anyway, he has a video showing how to replace their awful battery with a lithium ion battery. It requires a soldering iron. Yeah, no thanks. I'll just trash this one (which is sad, because how many of these things are now filling up landfills???) and get a different brand!

Original review: July 17, 2018

I just spent more than 30 minutes on the phone with a supposed supervisor in the South Florida call center (for warranties) - named Jason. I've been trying for a couple of months now to get a replacement for my original handle and am told that it's not available. I've even requested to at least receive a voucher for my original purchase amount so that I could pay the difference and am met with constant refusal. Today's call was the last straw. Jason was rude and unapologetic and told me that there was no one higher than him that I could speak/talk/or communicate with. I will continue to press on to speak with someone else if for no other reason than to elaborate on his unprofessionalism and poor service. This was my first and last Sonicare product (Healthy White). I refuse to give money to or use products manufactured by a company that does not have adequate customer service.

Original review: July 13, 2018

My experience with the customer service rep was pleasant, however it went nowhere. I was informed I may receive a call back in a week. I'm on my second Sonic Care brush. My first one cost approx $200 and lasted for a good amount of time. The second one, was only around $100 and it did not make it six months. Was hoping for a voucher to put towards another purchase, but instead they want to look into it. The brush currently sounds like it's grinding rocks, there's barely any speed to the head and a blackish liquid is discharging.

I'm not waiting for this company to figure themselves out and meanwhile the brush just completely breaks. I will be moving forward with another company/product. Further, while Philips figures out their solution, I will be displaying videos of the faulty product on my IG page (approx 5,000 followers), my YouTube channel and my Facebook (approx 2,000) friends and any other social media I deem fit in order to deter people from purchasing this product. Most of the negative review I read are on point. Bye Felicia.

Original review: July 4, 2018

Airfloss Pro - The product is horrible. I returned it and never received the refund. I also had to pay to send it back. I will never buy anything from Philips again. Worst customer service ever!!!! Don't waste your money!

Original review: June 26, 2018

I was brushing my teeth recently with my Sonicare toothbrush while my 2 yrs old was in the room playing around and fell. I bit down on the toot brush for a brief second to grab him and then released it. The next morning is when I woke up to see my front tooth was chipped and the one next to it had a crack also. The vibration cracked both teeth!! I been trying to reach my dentist all day. I am so upset and devastated.

Original review: May 12, 2018

I have been using/purchasing Sonicare toothbrushes for decades! I am a dental care professional and used to praise their products however I have had 4 Diamonclean brushes stop working in the same symptomatic fashion recently. They start to vibrate at a high velocity, blowing water all over your face then within 2 weeks just stop working. I tried switching heads, resetting the brush & even switched chargers, nothing stops this decline. One of them even leaked a black ooze that I learned was a lubricant from inside.

Since I am a dental professional and a once advocate of Sonicare quality I contacted Sonicare. Come to find out even though I had 3 toothbrushes all die near the same time I thought Sonicare would “care”! BUT rather they told me that myself & my family must push too hard while brushing! They sent me 1 replacement that they swear is not refurbished and guess what? It’s doing the same thing and just died tonight, only 2 weeks after getting it. At $180 a piece my family is put around $720!!! Just a disgrace!

Original review: April 11, 2018

I owned 3 Sonicares and all FAILED. First brush I purchased in October 2015. A month after, it exploded! See picture. It was not even charging at that time. I called Phillips and asked if they want me to return it so they can investigate but they weren’t interested (probably they already know how frequent this happens). They sent a replacement body. So this is the second brush - stopped charging a year later. Phillips was nice to send a third replacement - that again stopped charging after 3 months. Looking at the reviews, their batteries have a HUGE problem - either it explodes or stops charging. For a $200 toothbrush, that doesn’t seem to be cost-efficient.

Original review: April 6, 2018

My Philips Sonicare Healthy Clean exploded and burned the top of my bathroom vanity. I called the company immediately and was told they would replace the toothbrush, which they did, and make me whole, which they did NOT. They offered to pay for the supplies for a new vanity but I would have to pay for the labor, which was a few hundred dollars. I told them that was a ridiculous policy since it was their brush that exploded and could have caused a fire if I hadn't been home to hear the explosion and pull out the plug.

Original review: March 8, 2018

Called them twice to replace my DiamondClean toothbrush (the 3rd one). Got lectured on how to properly brush my teeth! Seriously?! Your $200 toothbrush breaks every year and you are trying to put the blame on your customers. Philips, you just lost 4 customers all at once!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I have returned both of the toothbrushes I bought within 6 months; I asked if the black oil that was coming out of the metal piece where the brush head fits on was dangerous if it got in your mouth. They never answered me. I still want to know if that fluid is dangerous.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I recently contacted consumer support for a problem with my Sonicare Toothbrush and I must commend Philips for the fantastic service I received. I purchased my toothbrush from Costco and had no idea how to get warranty on a failed handle assembly. I went to the Sonicare website and was amazed at how fast and professional the service was resolving my issue. 3 days after my initial contact I got my replacement brush handle in the mail. Kudos to Philips for the fast professional service, everyone major company should take lessons!!!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I bought the Philips Sonicare Toothbrush and was very disappointed. The brush does not rotate, does not go between teeth. All it does is tap the teeth and make a lot of noise. I had food caught between two teeth and the electric toothbrush did nothing. I then used my regular toothbrush and within 3 seconds the food came out. I wish I had bought the Oral brush instead because I'm told it actually rotates and gets the job done. This was a very expensive mistake and I regret this purchase!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I have so far had 4 toothbrushes from the Sonicare range in the past 7 years the last being a DiamondClean and every single one without exception has stopped working!! - the 1st 2 were swapped by Philips (purchased together). The 3rd I was told I was out of warranty BUT I could receive a voucher off for my next purchase. The 4th broke at the weekend and surprise surprise I am out of warranty again BUT ALL 4 TOOTH BRUSHES HAVE HAD THE SAME ISSUE/FAULT - THEY JUST STOP CHARGING AND WORKING. I have taken great care of my brushes as they are over £100 each but to no avail. I cannot justify another £100 for it to break just outside of the warranty time so am now looking at alternatives makes. Philips were surprised that I have had the same problem 4 times but a quick look on the internet throws up a whole load of customers with the same issues/fault!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I have had the Sonicare for a few months now but at a Costco those of whom have problems with warranty understand something, if you purchase this product with your credit card the credit card doubles your warranty so even though it is just out of warranty get your receipt, get your credit card reference and turn it into the credit card company. You will be reimbursed. Same thing with renting a car. Your credit card may cover accidents, personal liability for damages on a ran a car provided you charge the car with your credit card. Your credit card can be a very lethal weapon if you know how to use it. I have no problem with Costco, no prob with my Sonicare. It just leaves my teeth in a different state than a brush I have to get used to it.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

I woke up at 2:00 am to find my bathroom full of smoke and soot. Our Phillips Sonicare Series 2 Essence toothbrush was a puddle of molten plastic and charred batteries on the countertop. Fortunately it was a marble top and didn't catch the house on fire. That was 29 Sept 2017 and Phillips still hasn't settled for the damages.

Philips Sonicare Toothbrush Company Information