Looking for organic skincare?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

2.55/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Beautycounter Reviews

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

So I feel that I should start off by saying I have never been someone that identified with "clean beauty" or even a stable beauty regimen. My sister got into selling Beautycounter after feeling like the mission resonated with her and her lifestyle. She eventually got me hooked on the products after using me as a demonstration dummy for several parties. I have always has sensitive skin, full of bumps and area of redness and dryness, regardless of moisturizers or cleansers. I'd break out immediately after applying any brand of makeup or after washing my face with almost every product I tried before Beautycounter. I wish it was an exaggeration.

Beautycounter has really been the only foundation I can wear without ANY breakouts, the skin care always has my skin glowing. I know every skin type is different, I just use my favorite products from different lines and it works like a charm. I will say I'm not a fan of the tinted sunscreen or the mascara, though they've added new mascaras that I have yet to try.

After reading a lot of these reviews I can really say with confidence that my issues have NEVER been with the products, but if anything, the consultants. Unfortunately if you are being sold products by people who aren't self motivated or are motivated by the wrong reasons you're going to get one of three things: 1) bad customer service, 2) no real "trial" runs or refunds, 3) poor product quality. I only recently became a beautycounter consultant to help with costs (because, yes they are pricey but so are a lot of other award winning brands that on the other hand, don't offer commission on each product). I've been using their products for over a year and I buy directly off the website versus asking a consultant to put in an order for you. If you do that, you may have issues of getting sold their product testers and delayed product shipment. I've heard horror stories! But all issues I've encountered have been consultant related issues.

If you're looking to try it out don't hesitate in asking for any of the following: free samples, special discounted items for first time buyers (consultant venoms you a couple bucks off or free shipping), and if you can "trial" test a product for a week. My sister and I and the team we're a part of do all these things and I'm sure we're not the only ones. You're entitled to trying it out without a huge commitment, which is what has made my personal experience the best.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

I have been using Beautycounter skincare and makeup exclusively for 4 years. Why? Because it's really safe and I'd rather not have hormone disruption nor skin cancer. They are vigilant on providing 'safer beauty' as they call it. It is a more expensive line than the grocery store - but if you are used to Estee Lauder or Rodan & Fields or any other high end product, it's an easy switch.

At 61, I don't look like I'm 35. But I look like a beautiful 61 year old woman and I am thankful to have these products. My goal is to live and long and healthy life so that I can be around with my family longer. Anything I can do to prevent illness is a priority for me. My personal favorite skincare is their newest line: Countertime. It is THE best! My skin has felt so wonderfully moisturized! I also love the Counter + resurfacing peel and the Number 1 brightening facial oil. I could go on and on. But once my face is clean and moisturized and ready, I love layering on the makeup! I walk out the door feeling confident every day!

Get expert buying tips about Organic Skin Care delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: May 23, 2019

I did not think this could possibly be as good as I heard because it was “all natural”. At first, the products tingled and I thought it was burning my skin. My complexion turned bright red and looked sunburned. After a few days of application, I could see a huge change in my skin and the way it felt. I’m on month 3 and I can go without makeup most days. I’m 42 and can never remember not wearing makeup. My pores are smaller and my skin rarely breaks out. I really think my skin was detoxing when I first started using it. My body was addicted to all the toxins! Trust me, see this thru at least a month and you will notice a change. I ate my words.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I HIGHLY recommend Beautycounter. This is a company dedicated to changing the beauty industry. They are working to get safer products into the hands of everyone. I’m obsessed with all things Beautycounter. The Countermatch line is by far the best product to ever touch my skin. I like knowing my children can use the products and not have to worry about harmful ingredients, fertility blocking products, endocrine blockers, or hormone blockers. I’ve personally dealt with their customer service and they were super friendly and very helpful. I see nothing but good things go happening with this company.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I have been using Beautycounter products for a little over a year. I love the company's mission of getting safe products to everyone. I had to find the products that work for my skin type. I did this by working with my consultant and trying different products. I never had to return anything, but felt confident in the company policy on returns, and had confidence my consultant would facilitate the return process if necessary. As for the reported customer service issues... I think it is important to find a good consultant, and use them as your first stop for any customer service request. After all, they are the ones representing the company, and who, theoretically consult and sell you the product. They should be responsible for ensuring you get the service you are promised.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Beautycounter?

Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

I felt it a responsible thing to do to use something more safe once I discovered that on a scale of 1 - 14, the Equate (Neutrogena) stick 70 SPF I've been using was rated a 7. I ordered from Beautycounter for $30 (item, tax, shipping). I was NOT happy with such an outrageous cost but THEN it arrived! I wish I could show a photo! It's lost in my hand, it's so tiny! The stuff measures 2" x 1". I don't care HOW good it is, I will never order another item from them. I think it's just another MLM and its gimmick is "natural and safe."

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

I'm a pharmacist. I consider myself knowledgeable about lotions, creams, ointments and the chemical properties of a wide variety of cosmetic products and the potential health effects of using such products. I bought a few lotions at a "party" after being hounded by a neighbor sales rep that was "downlined" by yet another neighbor rep. I would consider the "natural and clean" products anything other than "natural and clean", but full of nauseating, headache inducing fragrances and actually lack their intended efficacy. The body lotions smell terrible and lack any lasting effect after applied. The sales rep suggested that it would last longer if I bought the body oil too. Ha. That means that the OIL lasts longer. The lipsticks are drying. The sunscreens lack efficacy. And the funny thing about this natural, clean beauty line is the abundance of packaging polluting the landfill.

But more disturbing are the claims that the reps keep repeating. How American products are dangerous to our health and point us to corporate sales sites and the Environmental Working Group to support this. Yet they have little to no understanding of the data behind EWG and or of any of the compounds in the Beautycounter products. Final Analysis- Save your money. These products work about as well as ineffective Dollar store products, are not chemical free, nor are they proven to be safer for your health. Don't buy into their marketing hysteria.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

Malina ** is a great consultant and definitely knows about the products. I would recommend anyone who is looking for natural products everything from skin care to shampoo, sunscreen. You would be amazed at what is in some of the other products we use everyday. Give Malina a try!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

I highly recommend NOT purchasing the sunscreen spray or lotion from Beautycounter. Neither absorb well in the skin and they do not work. I applied several layers every 1-2 hours and still burned really bad. I had to leave a review here instead of the website due to the reviews on the site being FAKE. They actually do not let customers submit product reviews, it's a complete scam. I am hesitant to try any products due to their fake reviews.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

Be absolutely certain what you order is exactly what you want. They will not make cancelling an order easy. They will tell you to just wait to get the products then ship it back, and all the meanwhile charge your card instead of cancelling it when nothing has been shipped out and the charge is still pending. So be 100% certain that you will not have a change of heart or be ready to pay. Document everything so that you dispute this charge if it happens to you. Cancelling an order should be easy. They will not cancel the order. Even an order that was made only a couple of hours earlier and hasn’t even been processed or shipped out. What a shame. Not a way to do business or retain a potential new customer.

Beautycounter expert review by Jessica Assaf & Alexis Krauss

Founder Gregg Renfrew started Beautycounter after she learned about the beauty industry’s lack of regulations. Beautycounter empowers consumers by offering them to join the company as a Consultant.

• Beautycounter safety promise: Beautycounter is one of the few companies in the world to actually test their products for safety before they go on the market.

• Mission-driven: The company’s mission is to get safe products into the hands of everyone.

• The Never List: Beautycounter has banned more than 1,500 ingredients from their products and is setting a new health and safety standard for consumers.

• Best for: Women and mothers looking for safe and effective cosmetics and skincare products.

Profile picture of Jessica Assaf & Alexis Krauss
Jessica Assaf & Alexis Krauss Organic Skincare Contributing Editors

Jessica Assaf & Alexis Krauss are co-founders of Beauty Lies Truth, a website dedicated to educating consumers about the ingredients in personal care products. Alexis is a singer, songwriter and front-woman of the band Sleigh Bells and uses her public platform to transform the beauty industry. Jessica is an award-winning activist and entrepreneur who has spent the past ten years spreading awareness about product safety and working with the most conscious companies on the market.

Beautycounter Company Information