2. Miscellaneous

2.3/5 (62 ratings)

About Beautycounter

Beautycounter Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Beautycounter?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Beautycounter?

Original review: April 21, 2021

I’ve been purchasing Beautycounter for a few years now and slows purchasing more products. Outside of the spray on tinted sunscreen I have really loved everything I purchased. Side note on the sunscreen it stains clothes and if it gets on the floor is very slippery. Just don’t buy it no matter how good it sounds. One of the moisturizers was recently repackaged into an airtight container. Two issues exist with this, one you can’t tell how much is in it at any point and two when initially packed it can get air bubbles that prevent the cream from dispensing. The first is a fairly easy fix, or so one would think, order two and always have an extra one ready. The second one they now have instructions on the box about, you need a paper clip, not provided, to poke into toe small holes in the bottom of the container to help release the air. The first 3 times this worked, after a few attempts and I was able to use the moisturizer, all be it frustrating.

However, on the fourth container after multiple days of trying with no luck I called customer service assuming they would send me a replacement. I mean it’s a $60 thing of moisturizer that can’t be opened. Well I was wrong. You see while trying to solve that first issue and buying two I had now surpassed the 60 day return/refund period and according to Beautycounter there is nothing they can do for me. So now I toss a full, unopened, $60 container of moisturizer in the trash all because they have a ** design for their dispenser. I’ve also requested a refund of my $29 membership renewal for this year. Seeing as I haven’t bought anything since renewing and clearly won’t be purchasing anything further from this company I don’t see why they should get to steal another $29 from me. At this point I have little faith they will choose to refund my $29. As I’ve stated, they do not care about their customers, just profits.

Original review: March 15, 2021

I typically never leave negative reviews but felt compelled to about this company. I had a horrible skin reaction to their products which have left many scars. I stopped using the product in January after realizing my skin was not getting 'adjusted' as they claim or better but rather, so much worse. My skin was dry and has always been sensitive but I started getting major breakouts and scarring and was convinced that if these products did not work, I would be getting a FULL REFUND.

I stopped using the products in January and still have these horrible scars from the acne it caused. I returned the product expecting a full refund but instead I got Product Credits for the shipping cost - when I called to explain that obviously I would not be using the Product Credits as my skin did not do well at all with their products, they told me they could not help and could not return my shipping cost.

I had also purchased their Band of Beauty membership which came with a free gift, I returned this as well but was not refunded the $30 (this is written in small font somewhere on the site) but on their Refund Form they send to fill out, it states 'If your entire order is returned, we will refund up to $9.95 of the shipping and handling fees you paid.' It also says 'return Free items received'. So I returned everything including the Free gift thinking this is what I needed to do in order to get a partial refund (it cost over $16 to ship everything back to them!), only to find out they are not refunding the $30 for the Band of Beauty and free gift and are also not refunding the shipping but rather gave me product credit for $9.95. This is absurd and horrible customer service for a company who claims to want to change the industry for the better. :( I am truly so disappointed.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

I went to their website and chose two items and signed up for that membership and for some reason it didn't seem like the PayPal went through so I went back in and ordered again. Only this time, I just ordered one item. Then I thought, let me just double check and went to order entry and both orders were there. Chat was the only way I could find to talk to anyone, so I told them what happened. They said they can't cancel the order, I have to wait until it gets delivered and write RTS and refuse shipment. The other order, with the membership on it, I could go to my email and click on decline and that would void the order. SO I go to my email and click on decline and it gives me some bogus error message leaving you only one option to accept. OH HECK NO! I exited the email and contacted PayPal. I read someone else say they didn't send products and wouldn't refund. Have a feeling I'm in for a fight.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

I bought the lip conditioner duo set at the end of October as a Christmas gift. Within two weeks of opening the lip conditioner, mold started growing all over the top. I tried to scrape it off and keep using it but it came right back. When I contacted customer service, they told me that it was outside the 60 day return window and they could not replace my items. I tried to explain to them that it was a Christmas gift and hadn’t been opened until the end of December. That didn’t seem to matter to them which is concerning. Having mold grow on top of a lip conditioner scares me to continue to use their products especially if they don’t stand by them when they are defective.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

I am a high school teacher. One of my student's mothers apparently got brainwashed into selling BC. I finally relented because my student kept "reminding" me to purchase BC. I thought it was in very poor taste and felt pressured to buy. No joke. I wanted to support the mother and purchased a number of items, including the limited time Jewel tone eye cream set of four that came out over the holidays. Absolute garbage product: no true color to the cream-based eye makeup, doesn't last, smears off and is just a mess! Eyes itch from using to boot. I've purchased better makeup from the dollar store. I will NEVER purchase makeup from these guys again. The collagen face cream is decent but otherwise, their makeup is junk. Better off buying Burt's Bees or Mineral Fusion line from Whole Foods (where you can just walk in and return it if it doesn't work).

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

I got a severe chemical burn on my face from using the the S Countermatch serum. I am now on day 3 of a hydrocortisone ointment treatment, hoping I don't scar too bad considering it is on my face and today it is starting to peel. I had tried the Countertime line back in March. I had a reaction to the cleansers (far less severe than to the countermatch). My friend (consultant) suggested I stop using the product as it was the stronger than the two (countermatch and counter time) and it was chalked up to MY skin being the problem. Interestingly through the summer I switched face cleaning products, and body washes no problem (not Beautycounter).

Unfortunately, much like most MLM products/hustles, the consultants have no dermatology or chemistry background whatsoever so they are unable to provide any guidance. They are simply to trained to tell you about what the flyers or sales brochures say so they can sell the product for their consultant above them and so on. The ingredient list is a lot more extensive in these products than I was expecting for a company that totes to be all natural, chem free. I have read about ten or twelve other people experiencing similar skin issues as mine. Difficult to find them and the beautycounter consultants know nothing about them. I called in to discuss and got no straightforward answers. Since I have no investment in this company and only was using samples, I will no continue to call, but figured it was worth sharing my experience.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2020

I expected more from a company that prides themselves with the products they sell and for how much it costs to own a full line of their product. I just started using their products and bought the Countermatch line in June during their sale. They never have sales and although I wasn’t ready to buy yet because I still had other products (Origins) I had at home that I needed to use up, I went ahead and ordered. I got to using the toner In August and I hated it only because the pump was sticking when I pumped product. Whenever I pumped, a big drop of toner would spew out onto the counter or floor.

I didn’t think anything of it even though it was annoying. A few weeks went by and I started to really get annoying by how much was being wasted because of the stupid pump so I decided to email them, asking if I could get another pump or a new toner. Their customer service takes forever. At least 4-7 days or more when trying to talk to somebody. Because my 60 days had passed, they refused to help me out at all. It really bums me out that I can get better customer service at Amazon or any other company really. Don’t they want to retain their customers? I guess not.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

I love my friend and new consultant that is very excited about this product. She FaceTimed with me while I logged into the BeautyCounter website and their website displayed a "20% coupon" for new customers. When I commented about the discount, my consultant was surprised because she didn't realize they were offering 20% but we continued on and I ordered nearly $600 in products, expecting to get 20% off. When I went to pay, it only showed 10% off. I immediately wrote an email to their customer service and my consultant called into their 1-800 phone number and sat on hold for 60+ minutes before she had to pick up her children from school. She said she sent a follow-up email as well but never got a response. When I emailed them, they said I should have taken a screenshot because they weren't offering 20% at that time.

Starting in July, they were offering 20% and I made the purchase June 27. I submitted the email request June 27 immediately following my order.. I wouldn't have made that up. After many emails back and forth, they said they were not going to credit me 10% or offer any refunds for the products. Bait and switch. Scamming customer service and company. I want to support my friends and healthier products but not when the company is built on liars and scammers.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

I started using Beautycounter products in January 2020 and by March, I had three obvious milia on my left eyelid. It is now August and I have more milia on my right eyelid, on my waterline of my left eye, and a few developing under my eyes on the sensitive skin where I can't really exfoliate. This is a direct correlation. I purchased their night cream, oil, dew skin, and eye shadow. I was also gifted the peel, which is TERRIBLE. I have non sensitive skin and this stuff made my lip area tight and peeling for two weeks straight. Soon after I started using all of these products consistently, the milia appeared. I hate that I spent so much money on it all. But will be using products that won't cause this milia problem anymore. If that means the products aren't rated so well on that never list, so be it. I just don't want the tiny white bumps everywhere anymore!

All the literature says they'll go away, but they keep appearing. I'm going to stop all use of Beautycounter products and see if they go away. If they do, I'll update this review. I have it two stars because I really like the oil and the Dew Skin. But it's not worth it in the long run. Dew Skin is too expensive and super oily during the summer months. The oil I can get elsewhere or make myself.

Original review: June 22, 2020

Here are some facts that you need to know before ordering:

(1) Once you have an order, you CANNOT cancel the order in any ways.
    (2) When you call them after you make an order, they could say that the order has been already packed and will be shipped on the very next day. What they say is NOT always true. For me, it took a few days.

(3) Although there is a delay in their delivery with the company's problem (e.g., in the process of transitioning to a new warehouse), they will not grant any exceptions for the customers (e.g., there should be NO exceptions for the date for the refund for the product).

Bureaucratic company. Overall, this was the worst experience of customer service. For them, an order made cannot be canceled even if you call them only a few hours later, they did not properly notify customers about the potential delivery delay before they make an order (on their website), and their delayed delivery from the company's own problem was ok although they did not accept the request to return the produce a few days later (which was caused by their delayed delivery) was not acceptable. I just cannot believe that there are still companies like this attitude and service.

Beautycounter author review by Jessica Assaf & Alexis Krauss

Founder Gregg Renfrew started Beautycounter after she learned about the beauty industry’s lack of regulations. Beautycounter empowers consumers by offering them to join the company as a Consultant.

• Beautycounter safety promise: Beautycounter is one of the few companies in the world to actually test their products for safety before they go on the market.

• Mission-driven: The company’s mission is to get safe products into the hands of everyone.

• The Never List: Beautycounter has banned more than 1,500 ingredients from their products and is setting a new health and safety standard for consumers.

by Jessica Assaf & Alexis Krauss Organic Skincare Contributing Editors

Jessica Assaf & Alexis Krauss are co-founders of Beauty Lies Truth, a website dedicated to educating consumers about the ingredients in personal care products. Alexis is a singer, songwriter and front-woman of the band Sleigh Bells and uses her public platform to transform the beauty industry. Jessica is an award-winning activist and entrepreneur who has spent the past ten years spreading awareness about product safety and working with the most conscious companies on the market.

Beautycounter Company Information