Looking for organic skincare?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

2.72/5

36 Beautycounter Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 23, 2019

I did not think this could possibly be as good as I heard because it was “all natural”. At first, the products tingled and I thought it was burning my skin. My complexion turned bright red and looked sunburned. After a few days of application, I could see a huge change in my skin and the way it felt. I’m on month 3 and I can go without makeup most days. I’m 42 and can never remember not wearing makeup. My pores are smaller and my skin rarely breaks out. I really think my skin was detoxing when I first started using it. My body was addicted to all the toxins! Trust me, see this thru at least a month and you will notice a change. I ate my words.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I HIGHLY recommend Beautycounter. This is a company dedicated to changing the beauty industry. They are working to get safer products into the hands of everyone. I’m obsessed with all things Beautycounter. The Countermatch line is by far the best product to ever touch my skin. I like knowing my children can use the products and not have to worry about harmful ingredients, fertility blocking products, endocrine blockers, or hormone blockers. I’ve personally dealt with their customer service and they were super friendly and very helpful. I see nothing but good things go happening with this company.

Get expert buying tips about Organic Skin Care delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I have been using Beautycounter products for a little over a year. I love the company's mission of getting safe products to everyone. I had to find the products that work for my skin type. I did this by working with my consultant and trying different products. I never had to return anything, but felt confident in the company policy on returns, and had confidence my consultant would facilitate the return process if necessary. As for the reported customer service issues... I think it is important to find a good consultant, and use them as your first stop for any customer service request. After all, they are the ones representing the company, and who, theoretically consult and sell you the product. They should be responsible for ensuring you get the service you are promised.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I have been using the Beautycounter Skincare line for 5 months now, and I have yet to find a product that I don't totally love. Not only does this company stay true to their mission of, "Getting Safer Products into the hands of everyone", but they provide high quality, affective products! Since using Beautycounter products, my pores have cleared and are noticeably smaller, my dark spots are lighter, my skin is brighter and I can't tell you how good it feels knowing that I am no longer loading my body up with chemicals and all the other crap that I've been unknowingly putting on my skin for years. After reading some of the negative reviews on here about their customer service, I can't help but think each of those people must work for a competitor or something... because my experience has been nothing short of exceptional from day one- customer service, my consultant, the products, and everything! Thank you Beautycounter!!!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Was very hesitant to try but have been completely surprised by the quality and the results. Loving the items for kids, especially the conditioner and the mask for evenings is great. Highly recommend especially if you are looking for a safe product as they make sure to not sure chemicals and products that are harsh for consumers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Beautycounter?

Original review: May 4, 2019

Poor email communication with canned responses. Recorded message whenever you call saying agents are in training. Had to open a dispute on PayPal to get my refund, which was decided in my favor because the company never responded. It's almost a month since I returned my items. I'm out the shipping fees. Never again.

Original review: April 30, 2019

I bought Beautycounter because of its all natural hype. I received my package and used the body wash which left me with a break out on my back after one use and then I also used the lipstick exclusively for three days and ended up with a huge cracked lip. Something in my 40+ years has NEVER happened. I can't speak for anyone else and their reactions but I did just read several complaints about the lipstick leaving lips dry and cracking and now I am one of them too. I have this huge crack and am trying to find something to heal it.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I was hounded by a consultant for months to buy something, finally I gave up and said screw it I'll order something so I can get finally left alone. I ordered the foundation which I believe is called BB cream or counter match. Anyways it came with a retractable brush. Both items cost me $98. INSANE!!! So first a week after using the brush the hairs started falling out of the brush and it got super oily. So I washed it like I do with all my make up brushes and it completely fell apart. Then the foundation makes my face burn and looks like I have severe sunburn. It's filled with chemicals, don't let this company fool you. Stay far far away.

Original review: March 29, 2019

This company will not let me talk to their fraud department and states that the fraud department does not have a phone number. An email has to be sent from a representative to the fraud department. I have called four times on this fraud issue, and I have not been contacted by the fraud department or anyone else from the company.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I recently became a consultant for Beautycounter. I ordered the big kit with all the skincare products in it. I used the Countermatch line while my mother tried out the Rejuvenating line. Both of us ended up having red almost sunburnt feeling skin from these products after a couple days of using them. The company also was of no help as I was getting all my startup emails in French and At least a month after I emailed them of this matter they said it was fixed but now I don’t receive any of the emails. I signed up without a mentor and one was never appointed to me. I decided to stop selling this because I could not promote a product that reacted this way with my nonsensitive skin. Very disappointed as I was excited to be a consultant.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I was attempting to place my order online when wording on the screen said there was a problem with processing my order, so I tried again and it went through. The next morning, I check my bank account and they withdrew twice. So obviously the first order was successful. I immediately call customer service and I am told there is nothing they can do. She stated that I would have to return the second order and maybe I will get a refund. I asked her to check the status of my order because it says processing on my end and maybe they can cancel the order. Nope! As I am sitting here typing, my orders still says processing and I was told that there is nothing they can do. NEVER ordering from this company again! The product is average and the service is HORRIBLE!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I liked the company message of natural products and bought 6 lipsticks... 3 shades, 2 each. I liked the colors and used them exclusively for 2 weeks. Then I noticed my lips feeling very dry, chapped, and very sensitive to anything salty or acidic. It took me several days to realize that the lipsticks were the cause. I have now been “off” them for almost 2 weeks and my lips are slowly returning to normal and I have no ill effects from other lipstick brands. I am currently on vacation so I have not yet contacted the company. Based on feedback in these reviews, I am not expecting any sort of satisfactory response from them and wish I would have read these reviews before purchasing.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I love the ingredients of Beautycounter. Natural look and easy to wear. Your skin glows, too. There is also a good variety of products including sunscreen and shampoo.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Beautycounter offered a sale of 20% off with the promo code. We placed an order but the area for entering the promo code did not show up. We continued with the order thinking it would show up at the end. This did not happen. We contacted Beautycounter by phone the same day and were told nothing could be done about it. We also sent an email asking them to make the correction since we saw no area for a promo code. They continued to say nothing could be done and our Beautycounter consultant was told their system does not process these requests. We then asked Beautycounter to cancel the order and it does not seem that they are able to do this either. Is this allowed under Consumer Affairs?

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I work in customer service for a corporation. I know what customer-service-friendly customer service entails. I accidentally placed an order under my daughter, who is a new consultant. I was her first member and her first purchase. As a mom, I wanted to help my daughter out. I spent almost 200 dollars and didn't put in a promo code "Love" on my order. My daughter called the following morning, and customer service refused to issue a credit. I spoke to a Counter agent who refused to give me a discount. I emailed a counter agent, who refused to give me a credit for the 20% off.

I then had a supervisor email me. She STILL refused to honor the promo code. I couldn't believe it. They want to lose a $200 order & a member and most likely a consultant all for 40 bucks? That's bad business, bad customer retention, bad consultant retention, and bad customer service. The products are already priced far too high for anyone that is not already wealthy. Maybe the company is struggling. I don't know. But I won't order again.

Original review: June 9, 2018

Paid A LOT of money after seeing the passionate founder on TV. The product burned my NON sensitive skin, the lip gloss was drying, the moisturizer was water and did NOTHING, and all in all, just terrible products. They did accept my returns and I got a refund.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I love that it's a healthier more natural option and even like their products even though the price is really steep. But I DO NOT like the way their consultants operate or at least the one I have had the misfortune of dealing with. I met this woman Andrea before I started cosmetology school and she was shy to the point of me having to ask to have a party so I was like “great, she won’t be one of the people that bother you endlessly”. Well I was wrong. She then tried to pressure me into becoming a consultant which I told her I would be in school and needed to focus on that. I expressed interest in possible becoming a consultant when I graduated. It is now the beginning of June and she has contacted me SIX times! And each time I have repeatedly told her I will not be doing anything until after I graduate and at this point if I become a consultant it will NOT be through her! Horrible experience!

Original review: March 27, 2018

After my uncle was diagnosed with cancer, and seeing my sisters and best friends struggling with infertility and my sister and myself being diagnosed with uterine fibroids I realized there has to be more to this epidemic. I quickly learned the products we were all using every day was the problem. I was putting horrible carcinogens, butane and propane on my head (and brain!) 3x a day (with Moroccan Oil Dry Shampoo and my hairspray), Putting hormone disruptors, impurities and toxins on my skin every day with my Olay soap, Nivea toning lotion, Bobbi Brown makeup. And even worse formaldehyde in my eyes with my mascara. I love the chic grown up beauty regimen I've created with Beautycounter, the skincare products are great and my dry skin has finally been put to rest. The cleansing balm is my favorite - it takes off my makeup so easily and hydrates instead of dries out my skin.

The charcoal bar has cleared up any acne I've had from head to toe (including backne) - I love that it pulls OUT the toxins and impurities from my skin vs. adding them to my body like my Dove & Olay soap had done. I use the brightening vitamin C oil at night and it smells so amazing, it has evened and brightened my skin tone. I only use their products on my body - charcoal bar, citrus body wash, body scrub (so hydrating and luxurious), body butter, shampoo and conditioner.

Makeup Review: I will say when I first tried some of the makeup products combined with my old favorites, I didn't love them. This brand seems to work best together, even the cleansing balm seems to remove the Beautycounter brand makeup the best vs any other makeup. The dew skin is really nice for summertime - it provides a dewy glow finish with SPF but VERY sheer coverage, I wouldn't call this a foundation. It's definitely a lightly tinted moisturizer/sunblock. The tint skin is nice but I only liked it when I used it with a foundation brush. The click pen concealer is great with the tint skin/dew skin (and a cheaper, safer version of the YSL pen). I love the powder bronzer, blush and the lip sheers & lip gloss. I didn't love the lengthening mascara but exchanged it for the volumizing mascara and it works great with no fall off or clumps. All in all, I love how the products perform but give this 5 stars for the peace of mind the brand gives me and my family.

Original review: March 26, 2018

The main problem I have with this company is not only the high prices (despite using the mantra of getting safer products into the hands of everyone) is that if you take apart some of the bottles and look at how much product you’re actually getting, it’s a total ripoff. Take the Nourishing Day Cream. The bottle is about 6 inches tall. If, when you run out way faster than you thought possible for a container that size, you take pliers and pull it open to try to get the last little bit out, you’ll find that there’s a small well, about 10% of the bottle which is all the product you’re actually getting, smaller than a pot of lip balm. The rest is entirely empty, and the weight on the container is just that, the weight of the container, not of the actual product you're getting.

Their consultants will push you to become a consultant at every opportunity as well to bump them up a level on their quasi-pyramid scheme business plan. The upline collects a percentage of the sale every time they sell something. Although they have reviews on their website, it does not allow you to leave one at will. You will only receive emails to rate select products, rarely, and not for everything you've purchased. Additionally, they've turned off ratings on their Facebook page due to others wising to the fact that this company is more concerned with getting rich and having lavish CA homes, hiding behind the guise of doing social good, than actually enabling real women from all socio-economic backgrounds a chance at safe, affordable products.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I received a sample of the eye cream that was marketed as 'safe'. I used it for a couple of days and ordered it, but then, I started developing painful red areas on the outside corners of my eyes and tried to cancel the order. It could not be cancelled. I received it and returned it with some other products that I'm not happy with. These products are crazy expensive and not very good quality. It's been three weeks since I've returned them and I've still not yet heard anything from them that they've received them even though USPS shows they received them two and a half weeks ago. Meanwhile, I'm still battling the painful red eyes. It's like my body is still reacting to whatever was in that cream. I'm now on a daily dose of ** to alleviate a possible allergic reaction, but that does not really help. On top of that, I was charged $9.56 to return this stuff. No thank you. Never again.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I started using Beautycounter products a little over a year ago. I have extremely sensitive skin, and have had a hard time finding products that hit that sweet spot between triggering eczema (drying) and triggering acne (oily). My Beautycounter consultant, Elizabeth **, takes a personal interest in my satisfaction and helps me choose products that work well for my skin. The Rejuvenating line of products has erase the tiny lines and minimized the larger creases to the point that numerous people have commented on the difference. Ok, they never say "you look less wrinkled." They comment that I look well, happy, radiant, "glowy," and the like. But I know what they mean, because I can see the difference too. No product works for everyone, but I would certainly give this company a try and make sure to select a consultant to help you navigate returns and questions, etc.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

After reading several articles recommending their Dew Skin No. 2 and Charcoal Cleansing Bar, I placed an order online for these two products totaling $80 on October 22, 2017. I received an order confirmation, but when I hadn't received a shipping confirmation after 4 days I sent an email to customer service requesting information on the delay and an expected shipping date. An automated response was immediately sent out saying that my inquiry would be answered within 48-72 hours (72 hours? Really?). 72 hours came and went, so I called the number on the website - which went straight to a busy signal. I called elegant times over the course of a day or so, always getting a busy signal, and decided at that point that I wanted to cancel my order due to the company's complete disregard for customer service.

I left a message on the Facebook page and sent another email to the original address explaining what had happened and requesting that my order be cancelled. A representative responded to my Facebook message by the end of the day and requested my phone number and a good time to reach me; I also received another automated email saying that a high volume of orders due to a holiday promotion had put their shipping schedule behind and my order would be shipping soon. The next day, a representative did call as promised, but I missed it (it was Halloween night, and we had guests). I then received an email from another rep saying that the delay was due to one of the products from my order being out of stock and she would try to cancel the order but didn't know if it could reach the warehouse in time. I then heard nothing from them until three days later when I received a shipping confirmation.

In short, I have a lot of questions - why couldn't they have told me when I placed the order that it was backordered? Why the two different stories about the delay? Why is it impossible to get through to anyone on their customer service phone line (a busy signal in 2017?!?) Why is communication between reps and the warehouse so poor that they couldn't have cancelled an order three days before it shipped? I haven't received the products yet, but I can tell you I will not be ordering anything from Beautycounter again. For $80, it would be nice for them to demonstrate even an attempt to communicate with and meet the needs of their customers.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

In today's world of online shopping and the understanding that customer service is 80% of your brand, I am blown away that this company still exists. Yes, they have an amazing mission and purpose and their products are fantastic. However, if they only valued their customers as much as they valued their mission, they may be worth investing your time and money in. On the attached receipt notice the costs in taxes in shipping with this company!

There is zero room for any mistakes while placing an online order with Beautycounter. Accidentally pick the wrong color of lipstick? You will pay for that? Change your mind and want to add an item? You will pay for that. Accidentally pick the wrong type of moisturizer and learn you wanted a different kind? You will definitely pay for that! What do I mean by that? Even if you make a mistake and call their support right away they tell you that you will have to pay for shipping the wrong product, then pay to ship it back to them and then pay again for them to ship you the right product... Yes, you will have to pay for 3 shipping orders to get the right product!!!

Their customer support tells you that they have no way to change your order even though you JUST placed it and they haven't prepared it yet. MIND BLOWN! Don’t even get me started that they even charge you for shipping!!! What company does that in today's competitive world of online shopping?!?

As a consultant they offer you discounted rates on products but fail to tell you that even though you get a discount on the product you still have to pay full price taxes. Yes, that means you can pay up to 25% in taxes on a supposedly "discounted" product. Is this proper procedures? When the question was asked to a tax lawyer in the state of Washington they said that if the company can prove that they are claiming the "retail priced" taxes on their taxes at the end of the year then it is legal… So Beautycounter, Do you file your taxes ethically?

I have used their products for 1 year now and in that time frame they have had 2 product recalls and had to cancel an entire line of hair products due to contamination. 9 days ago I placed an order. Today I got an email saying they can't keep up with orders in their warehouse and that they are sorry. No compensation, no action item to get the orders shipped. Nothing. Just an email saying it's gonna take a while. They do not care. They do not care about their customers or keeping them.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I ordered 2 Sheer Lipstick -- Coral color -- I did open the boxes today after 2 weeks and saw both of them were Plum dark color. I was Very disappointed. Last time I had to return a cream -- it took a long time and many phone calls to get my money back. I was really disappointed with their customer service. Now that they sent 2 wrong items I do not want to go through the same. I just lost the money 70.0 dollars, their price is very expensive too. I have been a customer with them for 2 years. I would not order again. Very bad customer service.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I purchased this Beautycounter shampoo for $25 for a 8.5 fl oz bottle and was notified by the company several weeks later that the product was being recalled due to contamination with Pseudomonas aeruginosa. This is a "antibiotic resistant bacteria that can cause disease in plants and animals, including humans". I had noticed my eye had become red and irritated about a week after using the shampoo and the following week I had a obvious infection in my bottom eyelid. After getting this email about the recall I immediately informed the company of my condition and discarded the bottle – but not before culturing a small amount of the shampoo to confirm if it was indeed contaminated (note - I am a PhD scientist with a lab thus I was able to confirm the presence of this Gram-negative bacteria in my shampoo – see image attached). I received no response from the company for four weeks.

Today I just received an email asking if I would like a refund of $25. No apology about my inconvenience or the fact they sold me a bacterial pathogen that caused an infection! THIS coming from a company that touts "safer" beauty products for which you "meticulously screen ingredients for safety" (a direct quote from your website)! I will NEVER buy from this pyramid scheming, overpriced, bacterial pathogen selling, company ever again!!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2017

I have been using Beautycounter products since November 2016. I have used about 20 products and my favorites are the Charcoal Mask, Rosewater, Balancing Oil, and the Eyeliner. My #1 passion is to help people make great decisions about their health (nutrition, etc) and Beautycounter aligns with my vision to help people. I don't believe every line works the same on everyone. If someone is allergic to let's say glycerin or fruit enzymes, it is always best to start slow and make sure it works for your skin. Start with 1-2 products and make sure you feel great about it. Overall, great experience using and promoting Beautycounter as one of a few brands that are making a difference in the industry.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2017

I have struggled with breakouts since I was a preteen. I often had multiple zits on my face at one time. After trying numerous other popular products, I finally was on the hunt for one that actually worked!!! I had 7 zits in my chin when I first tried Beautycounter's charcoal cleansing bar & results were immediate and that my breakout was less inflamed and visible! My pores looked amazing too! My skin was left feeling so smooth! Now it has been 4 days of using this bar and my skin looks amazing! My breakouts are a light faded pink and I have had no new breakouts! I have gotten many compliments too! I just ordered more products to try. At this point, I would highly recommended this company as their mission and products seem to be nothing short of ahhhmazing!

Resolution response: Feb. 25, 2018

Issues have been resolved fully - company has been very good at giving a credit for products that I was not fully satisfied with

Original review: Jan. 14, 2017

I signed up for the membership (then was billed for the very expensive "free" rose water) to be shipped to me. Do not expect customer service when you call or email. The company appears to be very "cold". The person I called was uninformed and not interested in my experience. I did order some of their product... then they sent me an email about getting another free cosmetic but then they informed me that I did not meet their timelines to get it... Very "TRUMP" like - all words -no action.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2016

I began using BeautyCounter skin, makeup and hair care products six weeks ago and cannot be happier. My consultant advised that it could take 6-8 weeks for me to notice a difference with my skin. For me, the difference was immediate. My aging dry skin has never looked or felt better. The product is light and does not weigh down my face. In fact, my skin feels as though it is breathing. Product is also very condenses, so I no longer have to slather on massive amounts of it to keep my face well hydrated. And the shampoo is so gentle that I find my gray hair isn't popping through the color as frequently as it had in the past. I am a BeautyCounter convert!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2016

I have been using Beautycounter for a year and a half and I am very pleased with the personal care products. They work as well as my previous brands, yet without the chemicals and additives that have been repeatedly linked to various health problems. As I get older, I get more concerned with what my daughters, son and grandchildren are being exposed to on a daily basis. I believe we consumers should responsibly research what we put IN and ON our bodies; because, after all, what goes ON will go IN.

Our daughters and sons are exposed to endocrine disruptors from so many sources; all we can really hope to do at this point in time is to reduce that exposure as much as possible. I firmly believe that Beautycounter is one way (of several) to do that. I highly recommend that people do the research and make informed decisions for themselves. Not all products work for all skin types; that should be obvious to a reasonable consumer. Nevertheless, I recommend that health (and beauty) conscious people try out Beautycounter for themselves.

Beautycounter expert review by Jessica Assaf & Alexis Krauss

Founder Gregg Renfrew started Beautycounter after she learned about the beauty industry’s lack of regulations. Beautycounter empowers consumers by offering them to join the company as a Consultant.

• Beautycounter safety promise: Beautycounter is one of the few companies in the world to actually test their products for safety before they go on the market.

• Mission-driven: The company’s mission is to get safe products into the hands of everyone.

• The Never List: Beautycounter has banned more than 1,500 ingredients from their products and is setting a new health and safety standard for consumers.

• Best for: Women and mothers looking for safe and effective cosmetics and skincare products.

Profile picture of Jessica Assaf & Alexis Krauss
Jessica Assaf & Alexis Krauss Organic Skincare Contributing Editors

Jessica Assaf & Alexis Krauss are co-founders of Beauty Lies Truth, a website dedicated to educating consumers about the ingredients in personal care products. Alexis is a singer, songwriter and front-woman of the band Sleigh Bells and uses her public platform to transform the beauty industry. Jessica is an award-winning activist and entrepreneur who has spent the past ten years spreading awareness about product safety and working with the most conscious companies on the market.

Beautycounter Company Information