2.21/5

116 Oreck Air Purifiers Consumer Reviews

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Odered Air Cell Cleaner - ORDER placed on-line and paid for on Nov 27, 2017. Called Feb 6, 2018 to find order never placed. New ORDER INVOICE was completely wrong product. Calling/leaving messages never returned. All I want is refund for product not received. In future will never buy an Oreck product again.

Rating has been updated
Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I have had my Oreck for 4 years. It is a great product. The company and customer service is what sucks. Bought this from Costco. Only place you should buy - their return policy is great and you don't need your receipt as it's connected to your membership card. $239.99 compared to $400+. Costco returned the unit for me twice in the first year because it was crackling so much. Turns out I just had to kick the cats out of the room because it was their airborne hair it was zapping... found it out the hard way but thanks Costco. Hasn't zapped since!

Now 4 years later I decide I should buy a replacement odour absorber and the cell cleaning detergent (had just used soap and water for so long and wanted to give a good clean). So two items cost $85 with tax and shipping. Wow should of just bought a new unit. They sent me a odour absorber that looks like a total knockoff.

Not the same as the one you get with your new product. You can see right through it. The cell cleaner they sent me looks nothing like the one on the website. It comes in a dollar store bottle with a taped on label and a nozzle that doesn't fit (you physically can't spray the cleaner because you can't clamp the trigger). So as I attempt to squeeze the trigger... the cell cleaner leaks everywhere all over my hands. Oh and the half the label deteriorated too (not like there was anything important on there anyway).

There is NO safety or precautionary measures on the bottle. NOTHING! No "don't get on skin, don't get in eyes, if contact wash thoroughly." No Keep out of reach of kids. No whmis labels or Material safety data information... law suit waiting to happen. I just want a new absorber and cleaner sent to me or a complete refund. Still waiting on them to get back to me!

Get expert buying tips about Health Products and Supplements delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

It seems that reviews are either far to one end of the spectrum, or the other. I'm guessing this would be attributed to misunderstanding of use and expectations?? I have had no issues with this unit and have used it in my bedroom for the last 8 years. As an asthma sufferer for almost my entire life I feel that this product does its job helping to keep the air in my room clean, while I sleep. Noise is minimal on low.

Clean up really isn't rocket science, either. When the red light flashes I remove the Truman Cell and place it in a sink of warm water and mild dish soap, to soak for a bit. When I'm done I wrap the cell in a towel and allow it to dry overnight. If it's not entirely dry when you replace the cell, the lights will still flash. In this case I allow it further drying time. It may take a day but I don't see an issue with this when it is working 3 weeks straight to clean the air that goes into my lungs...and for 8 years lol. It's amazing to see how much junk is collected from your air in such a short time span, and not to mention that you ultimately don't have to clean the same junk off the surfaces in your home as dust. Yay. It's a win-win, to me.

Original review: June 8, 2017

We purchased an Oreck air purifier (large model) to help with allergies. We found that it picked up very little residue and was a waste of time and money as far as our allergies. Then we purchased a Honeywell 300 air purifier and what a difference. We noticed improvements to our allergies on day #1. It may be somewhat noisy, on the high setting, but we save that for night time use. So in hindsight we will never again buy an Oreck product.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2017

I purchased the Oreck Proshield Air Purifier in Jan 2017 and used for 3 days. On my third day of usage I had the unit standing vertically on its base provided and the back of this unit was facing a white receptacle. After I had this unit running for approximately 3 hours I returned to switch off. This is when I noticed that the white receptacle had somehow turned a dirty white; so I took my index finger to wipe off and yes it came away with black, dusty/dirty particles. When investigating closer I realised that the back of this unit has vents and through these vents a black soot like dust was being displaced into the air while the unit is "air purifying".

I called their customer service and asked them of why this was occurring and their answer was they did not know why and to have my unit checked out by local technician. Well, guess what if their customer or someone from their technical department cannot help to understand what is occurring with this unit then I will be returning to the store for a refund. This item I purchased from my local Costco Wholesaler.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Oreck?

Original review: Oct. 8, 2016

We have owned our Oreck Air Purifier for more than eight years. We have had a bit of grief with it but every time, Oreck stood behind their machine. Twice they replaced the entire machine and twice have sent us a new Truman Cell. All we've ever had to do was call & explain what the problem was & they sent out either a new machine or cell. I don't understand what all of these other people are complaining about. I mean how much easier can it get? And how much better warranty can you get anywhere?? Eight years!! Seriously, People!

As far as cleaning goes, just buck up & get the cleaner from Oreck. I have tried many other cleaners & nothing comes close! It takes a while to dry and if it's still wet, the red light will come on immediately. We usually clean ours every two or three weeks. I LOVE this machine! It removes odors so quickly, and on the lowest speed it is still very functional and relatively quiet. We have ours in our bedroom when DH's nose gets stuffy & he says it helps hugely. I just love the fresh clean smell in the room when I walk in when he is sleeping with it on. Totally different than without it! The noise is just kind of a white noise, actually helps me sleep better because then I can't hear any other little house sounds or birds or anything. We had a Honeywell with a charcoal filter before, The Oreck is waaayyy better!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2016

Well, the Oreck may be a noisy air purifier but it do a good job to remove smoke in my house. I smoke all day and now I can see that the air in my house so clean. It's helpful. You can check out some of good points here http://www.airpurifiersrating.com/oreck-proshield-plus-air-purifier-review/.

Original review: June 30, 2016

While reading various reviews of the ProShield Air Purifier, I noted that people were generally having a difficult time cleaning their unit thoroughly without damaging it. I am a smoker and would clean my unit once every two weeks. Unfortunately I had a house-sitter for two months and during that time the unit was on, but not cleaned. It was a mess and had completely shut down on its own. I sprayed Fantastic (original formula) between the grates and the black goo running out of it was unbelievable. Even the wires were caked.

I soaked it overnight in a basin of Fantastic diluted with water. It was effective but not completely, though the water was black. I purchased TSP in powder form, diluted it with water, soaked it overnight and WOW! No scrubbing required, though I did hold the handle on top and swished it back and forth to get the cleanser moving over the grates and wires. IMPORTANT not to scrub or insert anything within the collector cell. I let it air dry completely, reinserted into the unit and, thankfully, it's as it should be! Whew!! Hope this helps those that are in need of a solution to this problem. Consider it solved!

Original review: May 29, 2016

Positive experience with this product! Had to ship it back due to seal leakage & Oreck replaced it without a hassle or problems. Date on unit is 10300, SN AIR12GUW122735 & it has been used almost 24/7 since. Hope it continues! I would like to obtain another in hopes of the same unit durability/life span.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2015

Purchased ORECK Dual Air Purifier at about $400.00 as I desired one which would clear a large room. Worked noisily for less than a year. It was cleaned exactly as specified by ORECK. Stopped working completely with lights flashing. Very difficult to reach ORECK, so at own expense, $33.00 shipping, I returned unit to ORECK asking for repair or replacement. ORECK threw unit back in box and returned it four days later with no explanation. Worthless unit. ORECK produces faulty units. No consumer response. Found online numerous complaints exactly same as my experience. CAUTION: DO NOT RECOMMEND ORECK PRODUCTS!

Oreck Air Purifiers Company Information