NordicTrack Elliptical Machines

Compare Ellipticals

Research top Ellipticals recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I like the touchscreen that is web enabled that I can track my workouts, change my incline, track my heart rate calories burned, etc and can connect my tablet to track everything. I can sync with my fitness apps to track my progress and better meet my fitness goals, it's perfect. I like the incline adjustment to customize how I want to workout each time. I also like that it's not super huge compared to some models which really saves space in our small home.

I'm fairly pleased so far with the model I own. The only thing was the initial assembly and set up was kind of a huge pain. It really takes at least people and there are many steps with several small pieces and screws. After you get past the initial assembly and set up, the machine is rather easy to operate. Ellipticals are pretty self explanatory and easy to operate once you're familiar with them. So day to day operations are a piece of cake, there's no hassle or steps you really need to take to just workout with one. They're one of my favorite machines.

I have had my elliptical for almost 10 years and it is used for exercise and physical therapy, by my husband. Almost 7 months ago it broke, and when I got a thing to renew my warranty that same week I renewed and called about repair. First they told me I had to take it apart and troubleshoot with them to find the parts, then they would order them and set up a technician to come install them. The technician called 2 days later and gave me a number to call when the parts got in. When the parts arrived I call and a couple days later he called back, said he could come on Saturday, but I had my nephew's birthday party. He said his colander wasn't with him and he would call back to set a time. After over a month of my trying to call him and not getting return calls the warranty department said they would contact the manager of Out Of The Box, which turned out to be the subcontractor, and they would call.

When she called she tried to give me the same man's number and I had to explain again what was going on. She finally found someone else and he did come out within a week. This technician told me the other one had done this to several people and had been fired. Then after checking my machine he didn't have the tools needed to take it apart. He came back a few days later and after taking it apart said the parts we had weren't what was needed. I now needed bearings and a crankshaft. Then he said it really would be better to not bother fixing it, but did tell me the parts needed and left.

I ordered those parts and the bearings came in but not the crank, so I called and was informed it was back ordered. Three weeks later I finally got an answer that they had no idea when it would be in, so would check if they could get approval to sub out the same part from another model and would email me the next Monday. Waited three extra days in case it was a system problem then called back. The approval had been given, but no one bothered to order it until I called back.

When the part came in I called again to get a technician out and waited for Out Of The Box to call back. Three days later had to call again and was told the service manager would call and let me know why no one called and set up an appointment. Still no return call, so I called and ranted a little and the warranty department had a manager email Out Of The Box. Two days later, today in fact, I got a call it was the first technician who had apparently not been fired and he could only come out on Saturdays. When I told him that that was the only day that isn't good for me for the next three months he said if I wouldn't change my schedule he would have to hand it over to someone else. Now I have to wait another two or three days for another call.

I have been trying to get this machine fixed for about six months and still am getting the runaround. They have not given me an order number and every time I call I get a different person and have to explain it all over again. I paid for the extended warranty when I bought the machine and an extension for the labor warranty and still can't get it fixed. I would never buy NordicTrack again, another company might be willing to fix the machine they make instead of charging people and expecting them to do it themselves.

The machine was easy to assemble. I was able to assemble by myself and use with no problems. The programs are also easy to use. It has built in programs which are challenging. It has 12 hill settings. The arms are movable or stationary. Can set different inclines and can use on line programs. However, the fan does not blow much air. They should make the fan better. It could also allow me to enter weight and age and offer ongoing updates to preprogrammed workouts.

The NordicTrack machine is an easy machine to use, it also monitors your heart rate. You can adjust the controls to make it an easier workout or difficult workout. Parts move freely. Setting it up was average, although the machine itself is quite heavy and cumbersome. It is not easy to move around and takes up too much space in the house, I have it in my garage. Would like it to be smaller and more portable making it easier to move around.

Some of the included features that I really appreciate about my e5si include its space saver technology, perfect stride, and good quality. I would at least include in the handbook that it won't work if not on a level and completely solid surface. If you have it on carpet or anywhere it feels off balance, the control panel will only partially work and it makes an awful beeping sound. Contacting their tech support is impossible. You have to register your machine and remember the exact day price store etc where you got it. I would also improve upon the fan. But, it is incredibly easy to use and take apart. The initial set up takes a while and the parts are very heavy. You will need two people at first. Once you have the main pieces together it takes two to slide the peddles on each end simultaneously. Once it's together if you need to move it you simply fold up the wheel and tip it with the handle and roll it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NordicTrack Elliptical Machines?

It's great that the NordicTrack has a touchscreen with internet capabilities. I love how you can browse the web, watch training videos, or post to your social media accounts. But I would improve the price, it is a little expensive. It may be a bit out the price range of most ordinary working people. I'd make it more affordable by offering a limited time discount. It's also a little complicated to operate at first. It requires a bit of a learning curve if you are not a tech-savvy person. The computer needs to be a little more intuitive but the payoff is completely worth it.

It is a very well built machine and sturdy. It's high quality and never had any problems with it. It has a very sleek design, looks modern and high tech. It allows me to get a very intense workout each day in a small amount time. It works out many muscle groups, tones the muscles, helps to burn fat, build stamina and cardio vascular strength as well mental strength and discipline. It motivates you to work out each day to stay healthy in both mind and body. The NordicTrack is a very motivational machine even though it may take some time getting used to. You eventually get used to it. You miss it and feel bad on days that you skip it and are unable to use the machine. It was a pretty good investment even though it was not cheap.

The machine cost me over 1000 dollars. I don't think it is the most affordable machine on the market. Just because it is expensive does not mean it is the best elliptical machine on the market. If NordicTrack could do something to improve the cost of the unit, it would make it more accessible to people in the market place for fitness equipment and similar tools. If they could bring down the price more people would buy it and they would make more money by selling in volume. They would be more of a household name. They could also add fancier on screen technology like Peloton have these days. That would help justify the cost of the NordicTrack elliptical training machine for more health enthusiasts in the market these days and would help them compete against similar brands making similar tools and products, etc.

Assembling the NordicTrack Rower machine is pretty easy and can be done in about 30 minutes to an hour and 30 minutes depending on how mechanically inclined you are. A lot of the NordicTrack rowing machine exercise device comes mostly pre fabricated and some of the build of it is left to the user at home. I needed minimal tools like a screwdriver and a wrench, but not a lot of tools or fancy equipment knowledge. It is a pretty heavy machine so you may want help moving it around and unboxing it and flipping it. If you move it to another room in your house you might want someone to help you out so you don't get hurt or scratch floors, carpet walls, etc. It came with good instructions and a dvd and they have a support to call as well.

The Nordictrack elliptical machine is user friendly - easy to turn on, set to a program, you can pause without losing your place, it has a spot to hold a water bottle and a spot for a towel. But the gait is not adjustable so it tends to be a bit on the short side for me, I need a longer stride. It's very hard to adjust the arms to be user friendly as well based on different sized persons. But once the machine is put together, it's easy to use. There is no set up each time you use it. You just turn it on and select a program based on your fitness goals.

The NordicTrack can be set to decrease and increase tension for a better workout. Pre-set programs that are visually and audibly stimulating can be loaded to help take your mind off of the hardness of the workout itself. What I do not like is that it's the same motion over and over again. I like the elliptical machines that have some variation in the movements of the legs. I also do not like the little holder to prop your phone on. It sinks down where you can't really see your phone, if you use it to listen to music or to watch a video. There isn't much to set it up. Once it's up, all that you have to do is get on with your feet and arms in place and start pedalling. The timer starts automatically and I have to increase the intensity.

I like Nordic track because it's easy to use it to work out everyday to lose weight, increase abs, maintain good energy and have a positive attitude. But I would like to improve my workout time on it so I can enjoy it more than I usually do right now. It's fun and rewarding for people to work out with it.

The Nordic Track is easy to use. Push one or two buttons to select programs. Weight loss, Aerobic, Endurance, and heart rate. It is solid and it works well, so I don't have to worry about it shaking even when my husband uses it. It also lets you adjust the incline and speed easily. However I wish it had online features and more choices for programs. I get tired of the same ones over and over. I like the more advanced models that can connect to your Fitbit or offer online programs. A built in TV would be a nice extra as well.

I like that it shows how many calories you burn, your heart rate & the distance you go. And it can play music while you exercise & help you with your workout. It makes you feel good inside & you know that it is good for your heart. It is easy to use, too, you just get on it & start moving with adjusting how easy or hard of a level you want to use.

It was very easy to set up although it is quite heavy. Once the elliptical machine was situated in the spare room, it was simply a process of unfolding it and then locking it into place. It is very versatile and it is easy to dial in the various programs and set up variable resistance to increase effort and cardiovascular exercise level. It has many features and customizable programs.

The NordicTrack elliptical machine is great in many ways. It’s 3-in-one... a stepper, elliptical and treadmill. The controls are very easy to see and use. It’s also very quiet considering how big the motor is… a very impressive machine!! I would not change anything... perfectly engineered. It could be cheaper, but you get what you pay for, so the price is really fair. We started to set it up in the early afternoon with reading all the directions. It really did not need to take that long but I was very careful to do it right since it was so expensive.

There are many options to change my workout. I can change the resistance and it tracks my progress very well. I also really enjoy the water bottle feature which makes it convenient to stay hydrated. The workout itself is as hard or easy as you want it to be which is why this machine is not only great for beginners, but people at any fitness level. But I would improve it by including coaching features that motivate you to work harder. Although the machine is heavy, the set-up process is very easy. My only complaint is that it takes up so much space. I would also change the padding in the seat as it's not very comfortable.

I liked that you could have multiple settings on my Elliptical as it made it very easy to choose which one fit best for each workout. And you can program to save what works best for you for whatever workout intensity you are trying to fulfill at that current time which I found convenient and genius as well. The product was exactly as I wanted and imagined.

The NordicTrack elliptical machine is enjoyable to me and my loved ones due to the fact that I can get a good overall comprehensive workout in without having to stress my joints. It is a quality machine with multiple settings and multiple configurations that serves all of my needs at this time. It is also very quiet!!! It can be cumbersome to use if I am in pain... Although my joints have been experiencing more arthritic like symptoms than before due to my increase in age.

Also I would say that many of the features from today's technology is not on my machine. But it was pretty much self assembled except for a few key components. A lot of the pieces were snap in so there was not a tremendous amount of hardware included. The remaining assembly was very doable for myself and I could venture to say most people as well...

I like the different programs that the NordicTrack elliptical machine has. It also has the option to choose your own speed and resistance on it. It also tells you your distance that you have gone. The only thing that is negative is the size and the weight of it. It is really big and is hard to move around. But it is very easy to use. Just turn it on and then select the program and start moving. If you don't want to use the preset programs you can just keep track of your distance and resistance.

NordicTrack has the latest and up to date technology. Moreover, I love the 3 in one feature because you could get so much done on one machine. For instance if you wanted to get on a treadmill it is right there, if you wanted an elliptical it is there, and if you wanted a stepper it is there. The setting up was pretty easy. The only thing I really had to do was read the instructions which basically said that I had to put up some screws together and certain parts together.

I like the various ways I can use the Nordic Track. The ease in which to switch workouts back and forth. It’s more like a home gym. And it’s easy for both men and women. Even my 15-year old son enjoys it. I’d like video instructions for numerous workouts plus a media docking station would rock and you could attach your Ipod or phone. It was fairly easy for me and my 15-year old son to set-up. Once up, it’s easy to use.

The NordicTrack is very easy to use, it's very user-friendly and walks you through all of the different options when you begin your workout. It has very technologically advanced features, measures heart rate, calories, distance, several options for levels of difficulty, uphill or not uphill, a built-in fan, and many other things. They could, however, probably make the product less expensive overall.

I ordered a elliptical and paid $200.00 for white glove treatment. Never received the merchandise and their finance company Fortiva keeps sending me a bill for the equipment I never received. They have my $200.00 and for the last 4 mos have been sending me a interest and principal bill due for equipment I Never received. The bill keeps increasing. NordicTrack said they corrected it. Fortiva Credit card says no they didn't.

I have nothing to show for anything but they have my $200.00 and are constantly sending me bills... Neither company will take responsibility to correct it. They keep telling me it is the other company's fault and will not fix it or give me my money back. Now I have to find an attorney to resolve this matter. How can they get away with theft and fraud and no one seems to be able to stop the madness. In the meantime my credit is being ruined and I can lose my job for not keeping a good standing. Again, I am looking for an attorney and would like to also see if I can file a police report for theft.

We bought a NordicTrack SE9I in January and used it for about 5 weeks before it broke. Called the customer service line on March 11, 2017, waited over 40 min for a representative, reported the problem and was told it was the SD card and that a new one would be shipped. One week later no SD card had arrived so we called them again on March 18. We are now told that the SD cards are back ordered and they don't have a date when the new ones will be available. An SD card is a commonly available item so the story they are backordered does not make sense. I consider that NordicTrack is currently in breach of their warranty agreement which promised to fix the machine we purchased, parts and labor, for up to 2 years.

I like the product fairly well. I also like the smoothness and solidity of its operation, it doesn't feel jerky or stiff like some other ellipticals I have tried in the past. I like the display panel as well. I wish it were not as bulky, because it is very large and takes up a lot of floor space in my house. Wish I could dedicate less of my floor space to it. It was fairly difficult to set up. I was not able to do it on my own and had to seek outside help to get it up and running. Once you have it set up, it is pretty easy to use.

The Nordic Track Elliptical Machine is easy to use, very strong and sturdy. All you have to do is get on and start moving. There isn’t a motor like there is on a treadmill. It also features different strengths of resistance. You don’t have to use the arm handles but I am more balanced and I feel like I get more of a total body workout when I use them. The footing is plenty big for anyone but has enough traction on it that I don’t worry about slipping. There is not anything that I dislike about the elliptical machine other than it is very heavy and makes it difficult to move around if needed and for vacuuming the room. It takes up a lot of space too and there’s no way to confine it or fold it a little bit. But it is a very good machine.

My NordicTrack elliptical is designed like cross country skiing with the handle bars as ropes. The bottom portion had removable wooden skis, which was a double edged sword. It was nice for storage. But I would definitely rethink the wooden skis, as they were too easy to remove and kids would turn them into weapons like lances and swords. And there wasn't an integrated calorie burning calculator, which would have been nice. Nevertheless, it was easy to use, easy to set up. There weren't a lot of moving pieces so it was also very long-lived and required almost no maintenance.

It was a pain to setup because it's heavy and cumbersome. Once it was together it has been very hassle free. I really enjoy the ease of use. I hop on and it fires up. Even through 3 long distant moves this thing is still working like a champ. It's nice and quietly operates. It has a built in water bottle holder, a ledge to place my tablet or phone on, a steep incline to maximize my workout, a digital interface, and adjustable resistance that increases my workout flexibility. It also came with a chest heart rate monitor to more effectively calculate calories expended.

But I would love to have an even quieter machine. This machine is still loud when pressing buttons (they beep) and when raising to an incline, I would like the ifit module that can be purchased to go with it to not have a monthly membership fee (I workout at home to avoid these come on!). And I would like an even great resistance available. It would also be very cool if it was cordless and ran of its own renewable battery that I charge while working out. But it's a great machine and I would buy again.

NordicTrack is very high tech and I love it. It's the newest model and has all kinds of ways to create the best possible exercise for me! I will definitely buy another one when this one is finally done! I do wish it wasn't as expensive but you get what you pay for and it was still totally definitely absolutely worth it! Setting it up right out of the box is obviously never easy but once it was put together it is rather easy to use. I've never had a better elliptical and I've never gotten a better exercise from any equipment ever!

I am very satisfied with my purchase and would highly recommend the Nordic track elliptical machine to family and friends. The process of setting up and operating it was simple and easy to complete. The instructions provided were easy to follow. The features I like about the NordicTrack elliptical machine is the available features and functions I can use for different workouts.

I like the fact that it is easy to set up and use. My 10 year old daughter often works out on the elliptical alone without any adult help, though I am there to supervise her. She truly enjoys the fact that it is quiet because she enjoys watching television while she is exercising. The only feature that I dislike and that I would most definitely change is the fact that it does not fold away for easy storage. We live in a small apartment & we do not have much extra space. The elliptical is so heavy & difficult to put away, so we just leave it set up in front of the television at all times.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

NordicTrack is known for their trademark skiers, which were introduced over 25 years ago. They have since expanded their lineup to include a variety of cardio equipment, including ellipticals. NordicTrack’s ellipticals are designed for both commercial and home use.

• Commercial series: The Commercial 14.9 and C 12.9 are NordicTrack’s commercial ellipticals. These machines are durable, with added features such as 26 resistance levels, an integrated tablet holder, a sound system and a touchscreen that is iFit enabled. The Mid-mech commercial series ellipticals can work in either a commercial or home setting.
  • SpaceSaver® Design: NordicTrack has several ellipticals with the SpaceSaver® Design, which makes it simple and quick to store the elliptical when it is not in use. Fold your elliptical up or down in one simple step, and easily roll it into a closet or other storage space when your workout is over.
  • 30-day trial: NordicTrack offers customers a full 30 days to try their elliptical at home before returning it for a full refund. Exchanges can also be made within 30 days of receiving your elliptical.
  • FreeStride Trainer: NordicTrack’s FreeStride Trainer offers users a total body workout by combining movements from a treadmill, a stepper and an elliptical. There are three models to choose from, depending on which additional features you prefer. They all feature a web-enabled color touchscreen, and the FreeStride Trainer FS9i has an adjustable decline and incline, ranging from -10 percent to 10 percent.
  • Front and rear drive options: NordicTrack has both front and rear drive ellipticals, so you can choose your elliptical based on the type of movement you prefer during your workout.
  • Best for NordicTrack ellipticals are best for serious trainers and light commercial facilities.

Compare Ellipticals