NordicTrack Elliptical Machines

Compare Ellipticals

Research top Ellipticals recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I waited for over 2 weeks for my elliptical to be delivered to my home. So I contacted the shipping department and I was told that the elliptical I ordered they somehow lost it at the warehouse and they had to place a whole new order (I mean I don't get how they would lose a 300-400 pound machine. Really!?). Plus I still have to wait an additional 2-3 weeks for delivery. I told them for the lack of communication and losing my elliptical I should be compensated. The best they could do is only 5% discount. So only 147 will be credited back to my account. I don't feel that 5% would be appropriate after spending almost $3,000 with this company. I would not recommend NordicTrack.

I purchased my C 9.5 Elliptical W IFIT on March 7th 2017 from NordicTrack because I didn't want to purchase a cheap brand from just any store. Also, their website raved about iFit and how I could program my workout routines, my meals, etc. Upon purchasing my elliptical and the first year membership of iFit I received an email from a so-called representative and stated that if I ordered an additional one year membership I would get a huge discount of 50% a saving of $72. I thought "Wow this is great!!" So I said yes. I should have never did this without first getting the actual iFit product and waiting for an additional email that arrived two day later that stated "Great News!! Upgrade your iFit membership to two years for $60."

My troubles being with NordicTrack and Fortiva Credit... I call NordicTrack billing and explain that I was charged $12 extra dollars for the iFit membership. Not a big deal. They tell me that they're going to provide me a credit. That's great!! This was on March 11. On March 13th I receive my elliptical and OMG!! Trying to put it together was a nightmare but we did it. I honestly can say I could have gone to any store and purchased an elliptical for a better value and saved myself a lot of money. The iFit isn't that great!! In logging into their site it's the most outdated system I've seen. When you log your meals it doesn't separate per day and it continues as a list. Also, the iFit band that they send you for free is cheap and doesn't even track your steps correctly. So I went out and purchased a Fitbit to make sure that I was correct that the iFit wasn't logging my steps correctly and I have to say that I love my FITBIT!!

On March 17th I called the NordicTrack customer service (1 hour 35 minute wait) to ask them to cancel two year membership to iFit and to credit my Fortiva account ($219.08 since I never received the $12 credit as well). They once again stated no problem and that I should see a credit on my account in my April statement. April statement comes no credit. Call Fortiva they tell me no credit was put through. OK. Call NordicTrack (1 hour 15 minute wait) customer service gives me the runaround that they are working on my credit but I should see it soon. So I call Fortiva again at the end of April again NO CREDIT. They have no clue!! I call NordicTrack again and this time I demand to speak to supervisor. I explain what happen to the supervisor and she seemed to understand. She stated that she would fix it so that I would see a credit on my May bill. Get my May bill NO CREDIT. Call again this time I ask to speak to someone in billing.

I speak to a representative called Jan. I once again explain what credit needs to go to my account. She says she'll take care of it and that she'll email me. Well she did but once again she indicates in her email that the amount that NordicTrack charged me was correct. OMG!! I canceled the iFit. All they need to do is credit me the $219.08. So I printed out my invoice, I did the math for them, and emailed Jan the invoice with my notes... Maybe to them that amount isn't a lot of money but to me it is and I'm not paying for a product that CANCELED back in March.

Horrible company!! If I could have shipped back that elliptical I would have... but in order to do so you have to take it all apart and put it back in the original box... HAHAHA!! That box falls apart as you take each piece out. OR you need to get a box big enough to fit everything in there safely and that it's secure. This was the worst $1000.00 investment I ever made!!!

NordicTrack maintains its same position so it doesn’t require setup or tear down. Assembly initially was time consuming but is only necessary when moving the machine. Takes up a lot of space and not friendly for having children in the house. A more compact model would be preferred. Doesn’t have as good of tracking systems for calories burned, but easy to use, not hard on muscles or joints. Makes working out go quickly and is enjoyable. Good customer service. Attractive and sleek design that looks good in the home.

I love the built, quality, functionality and the 10 inch web color touchscreen of this NordicTrack elliptical machine. This really helps me and it is an excellent distraction during a tough session. The setup appeared pretty simple although I didn’t personally do the job. As for operating the machine I find it very user friendly. I love every workout session.

Setting up NordicTrack was a complete downfall for this system. It took me 2 days because on day one I got so frustrated I had to walk away. However, operating the machine is easy. You can adjust almost every setting. It shows you how far you've walked and how many calories you've burned in the time you've been working out. I've never had a problem with any of the screens on my machine. All the features except heart rate work well and there are no cup holders. Plus, sometimes it requires unplugging the machine and restarting it completely in order for it reset. Instead of when you hit off and get off the machine. I also don't like the automatic boot up when the feet areas start moving. Because my child will crawl on them and I'll find that the machine has been on all night because no one turned it off.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NordicTrack Elliptical Machines?

I think NordicTrack is very easy to use. If you want to use one of the 6 programs you can do so at the touch of a button. Some machines hurt my knees but this one does not. I like the different options for the preset programs. They make working out easy because it changes the grade automatically. The fan is also nice and it is adjustable so you don't have to have it blowing right on you. The pads on the handles are very nice and soft. I wish there was a spot to put my water bottle. It does have two storage spots but they are not big enough for water bottle but are great for phone or iPod.

I purchased the A.C.T. 10 Commercial Elliptical on a "50% off special". On delivery day, the driver called to say that I needed to meet him at a parking lot--in town and along his route-- that was large enough for a semi to pull in. Asked him why this was so. He said that I lived on a street that is inaccessible to large vehicles. We decided to rendezvous at a location some 4 miles away and on the main drag. And sure enough, he showed up with a full-size tractor-trailer. Luckily I had a minivan large enough--with the back seats recessed--to squeeze the huge box into my vehicle. And when I got home, my wife and I struggled to get it into our common room. So much for door-step delivery.

The machine is plenty heavy so grandma can never move it, but what do you expect for commercial quality? It took me about 2 hrs to put the thing together. This was okay. I didn't want to spend another plus $100 for set-up. I also took my time because I did not want to make a mistake. Once it was all together and plugged in, it ran well... except for a clunking, then knocking sound with every revolution. I called customer service, and after listening to horrible Muzak for over 40 minute, a sweet-sounding lady tried to help before fully hearing me out.

I tried to tell her what the problem was, but she was convinced that she understood and would send my upgraded replacement spacers for both sides of the crank attached to the flywheel. I didn't think that was the issue, but she convinced me the new parts would take care of the problem. Many other customers complained for the same issue (or so she believed).

NOW FOR THE FUN PART: I received the replacement spacers within a week. But when I opened the small package and read the 3-page manual, I realized that it was a job totally for a technician's visit. First I had to lift the pedal arms to tie them secure to the handrails before sliding the covers for the arm links to remove 4 bolts with nuts in order to disconnect the arms... in order to remove the crank covers so as to eventually remove the cranks by unbolting them from the crank bracket... before putting it all together again after replacing the spacers. Sounds easy, right?

Added to this was that the nuts and bolts were so torqued (tightened) that I had to go to the hardware store to purchase a 2-ft 3/4 inch zinc pipe for torquing leverage in order to break the nuts loose. Pipe cost all of $6. (In all fairness, the instructions did suggest to rent a torque wrench from the hardware store). Now the insult to injury happened when I got the entire thing disassembled, but only to discover that the spacers were THE SAME AS THE REPLACEMENTS. IDENTICALLY! So there. An easy self-help fix. The problem was not the crank, but the mechanism in the housing where the handle arms connect to the link arms at the front. (But "You don't know what you want, I do!" would not give me a fighting change to fully explain over the phone.)

Now the machine continues to clunk knock along. So far haven't been able to get through to customer service again, even as I'm tortured with horrible Muzak. But otherwise, you can still get a decent workout... as long as you're good with "clunk knock, clunk knock, clunk knock..." Oh by the way, you'll also need a block of wood (or something similar) to wedge the crank so that it doesn't continue to rotate while you bear your entire weight down on the skittish crank nut. Maybe 8x8x12. Also a Philips screwdriver, HEAVY DUTY hex-set, a rubber mallet, a wrench and a ratchet set with 9/16 and 3/4 sockets, and old rags (to save your exercise mat or flooring being gouged by the loose shorter link arm still connected to the crank during the whole process). Doesn't hurt to also have some white lithium or WD-40 Silicone lube on hand to put the link arms back together.

Also wear light/gardening gloves when doing this. The links could really pinch if you don't. Also put the link arm rubber sleeve on the longer side (with the closed side facing the front) before bolting the links together. Finally, consider this a two-person job. I'm mechanically inclined and could pull this off by myself. There! Who needs a technician's visit, right? At least that seems to be NordicTrack's mantra. Can't say that I didn't warn you. GOOD LUCK!! NordicTrack is the worst and I will NEVER EVER purchase anything again from this company.

It was quite nice having somebody assemble NordicTrack for us, but it did not look difficult. I enjoy the NordicTrack because it links to phone, can use iFit. I love how you can follow different tracks on the godlike system they use on the NordicTrack, burns good calories, easy on the knees. I can honestly say that there is nothing about the NordicTrack that I do not like. If I had to suggest one I would suggest this elliptical to everyone that I know.

NordicTrack is quite simplistic to utilize, whether it be for an experienced or a beginner exercise equipment user. I like the varying degrees of intensity and levels of difficulty the elliptical possesses. Depending on who is currently utilizing the piece of equipment at any given time, he/she can alter the settings to their level of comfort or potential goals they have in at that particular point in time. However, I would appreciate very much an option to increase or decrease the range of motion, more specifically the amount or limitations of the possible incline/decline function(s). Great cardio piece of equipment.

POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE/ REALLY POOR DELIVERY!! I paid almost $2,000 to have an elliptical delivered. They had issues taking the money out and their delivery tracking is weird. No one at the company seems to know anything so it's almost pointless to call and ask them anything. I spent many different time on hold for at least 45 min each time. I had the machine delivered, which took two weeks, and it was broke, damaged in shipping. I had them return it. They took another two weeks to bring out another machine that was again broke. I wanted to cry out of anger. I knew I would have to spend ANOTHER 45 min on the phone. When I finally asked for a refund they said it would be 3-4 weeks!!! NEVER AGAIN!! Beware of this company even if their products have good reviews. You need to pray and hope it gets delivered in one piece and never breaks on you!

NordicTrack's very easy to set up which can be completed by one person. Moving the equipment from place to place requires some heavy lifting but the attached wheels make moving it easier. I'd prefer if it had larger display, different exercise preset modes for easier exercise, built monitor for different scenes while exercising to provide more input, and internet capable that can connect to online exercise classes. However, I like the smooth operation, distance, speed, calorie and carbohydrate counter, time clock, fan built into the unit, and angle for incline and decline. Great exercise machine and durable.

NordicTrack is very easy to use. The initial set up was fine and now there is no additional set up needed to use it. There are a few things that I like about it overall as a regular piece of equipment that I use. Like the fact that there are various settings to adjust both the resistance and the angle. It does take up a lot of space. However, there isn't much to improve really as it works quite well like it is intended to.

This is the worst purchase I have made in the last five years. The C9.5 is cheaply built with one of the smallest and least capable screens in the industry. I have excellent internet connectivity in my house; but to the NordicTrack, it is sketchy. The heart rate monitor only operates at rest, and according to the NordicTrack Customer Service, requires you to hold on for 90 seconds, then gives you three readings, only the 3rd of which is at all accurate. The foot pads have no outside edge, so your feet naturally slip off of the pads. I am constantly having to readjust my feet back onto the pads so that I don't slip off and break a leg.

The NordicTrack Customer Service is unable to help with any of these issues because as they stated, that's the way it's built, and there is no way to address these issues. I am looking forward to the day this thing wears out so that I can replace it with a real piece of exercise equipment. I will never buy another NordicTrack piece of equipment, and highly recommend that you do not either.

Setting up NordicTrack after purchase was not an easy task especially for one person. It was/is a very heavy piece of equipment that is not easily moved and it takes up a lot of space. I don't like the exposed grease (although it is clear) on the front gliders. They tend to collect dust and dirt and do not look very attractive. I did not have my machine for long when it started making a clunking sound. The back part is enclosed making it difficult to try to diagnose the issue. However, I like that it has a fan built into the machine. I also like that it has several programs you can choose from when doing a workout. The machine is easy to use and is pretty stable allowing for a good workout.

NordicTrack is dependable… smooth. Quality product has lots of workouts. I have had very good luck with this company and its history of producing anything other than a quality product and try to make it more affordable to the masses instead of the more privileged. Also, I would make it more user friendly. Have basic instructions on screen in layman terms. It was fairly easy but I am tech savvy… It helps to know your physical needs or limitations. When initial set up is attempted, put it to desired location, plug it in, set up profile and goals in RM has avail. Worth it totally.

NordicTrack is rather large, bulky and difficult to move. I would improve the size so I can have more workout machines in my home. Also, the pieces were hard to put together and took a lot of time. However, it is extremely easy to use and worth the effort of putting together. It has a touch screen which shows real trainers and is good for motivation. It is also able to go up and down while still moving which makes the workout harder and burns more calories.

I like the touchscreen that is web enabled that I can track my workouts, change my incline, track my heart rate calories burned, etc and can connect my tablet to track everything. I can sync with my fitness apps to track my progress and better meet my fitness goals, it's perfect. I like the incline adjustment to customize how I want to workout each time. I also like that it's not super huge compared to some models which really saves space in our small home.

I'm fairly pleased so far with the model I own. The only thing was the initial assembly and set up was kind of a huge pain. It really takes at least people and there are many steps with several small pieces and screws. After you get past the initial assembly and set up, the machine is rather easy to operate. Ellipticals are pretty self explanatory and easy to operate once you're familiar with them. So day to day operations are a piece of cake, there's no hassle or steps you really need to take to just workout with one. They're one of my favorite machines.

I have had my elliptical for almost 10 years and it is used for exercise and physical therapy, by my husband. Almost 7 months ago it broke, and when I got a thing to renew my warranty that same week I renewed and called about repair. First they told me I had to take it apart and troubleshoot with them to find the parts, then they would order them and set up a technician to come install them. The technician called 2 days later and gave me a number to call when the parts got in. When the parts arrived I call and a couple days later he called back, said he could come on Saturday, but I had my nephew's birthday party. He said his colander wasn't with him and he would call back to set a time. After over a month of my trying to call him and not getting return calls the warranty department said they would contact the manager of Out Of The Box, which turned out to be the subcontractor, and they would call.

When she called she tried to give me the same man's number and I had to explain again what was going on. She finally found someone else and he did come out within a week. This technician told me the other one had done this to several people and had been fired. Then after checking my machine he didn't have the tools needed to take it apart. He came back a few days later and after taking it apart said the parts we had weren't what was needed. I now needed bearings and a crankshaft. Then he said it really would be better to not bother fixing it, but did tell me the parts needed and left.

I ordered those parts and the bearings came in but not the crank, so I called and was informed it was back ordered. Three weeks later I finally got an answer that they had no idea when it would be in, so would check if they could get approval to sub out the same part from another model and would email me the next Monday. Waited three extra days in case it was a system problem then called back. The approval had been given, but no one bothered to order it until I called back.

When the part came in I called again to get a technician out and waited for Out Of The Box to call back. Three days later had to call again and was told the service manager would call and let me know why no one called and set up an appointment. Still no return call, so I called and ranted a little and the warranty department had a manager email Out Of The Box. Two days later, today in fact, I got a call it was the first technician who had apparently not been fired and he could only come out on Saturdays. When I told him that that was the only day that isn't good for me for the next three months he said if I wouldn't change my schedule he would have to hand it over to someone else. Now I have to wait another two or three days for another call.

I have been trying to get this machine fixed for about six months and still am getting the runaround. They have not given me an order number and every time I call I get a different person and have to explain it all over again. I paid for the extended warranty when I bought the machine and an extension for the labor warranty and still can't get it fixed. I would never buy NordicTrack again, another company might be willing to fix the machine they make instead of charging people and expecting them to do it themselves.

The machine was easy to assemble. I was able to assemble by myself and use with no problems. The programs are also easy to use. It has built in programs which are challenging. It has 12 hill settings. The arms are movable or stationary. Can set different inclines and can use on line programs. However, the fan does not blow much air. They should make the fan better. It could also allow me to enter weight and age and offer ongoing updates to preprogrammed workouts.

The NordicTrack machine is an easy machine to use, it also monitors your heart rate. You can adjust the controls to make it an easier workout or difficult workout. Parts move freely. Setting it up was average, although the machine itself is quite heavy and cumbersome. It is not easy to move around and takes up too much space in the house, I have it in my garage. Would like it to be smaller and more portable making it easier to move around.

Some of the included features that I really appreciate about my e5si include its space saver technology, perfect stride, and good quality. I would at least include in the handbook that it won't work if not on a level and completely solid surface. If you have it on carpet or anywhere it feels off balance, the control panel will only partially work and it makes an awful beeping sound. Contacting their tech support is impossible. You have to register your machine and remember the exact day price store etc where you got it. I would also improve upon the fan. But, it is incredibly easy to use and take apart. The initial set up takes a while and the parts are very heavy. You will need two people at first. Once you have the main pieces together it takes two to slide the peddles on each end simultaneously. Once it's together if you need to move it you simply fold up the wheel and tip it with the handle and roll it.

It's great that the NordicTrack has a touchscreen with internet capabilities. I love how you can browse the web, watch training videos, or post to your social media accounts. But I would improve the price, it is a little expensive. It may be a bit out the price range of most ordinary working people. I'd make it more affordable by offering a limited time discount. It's also a little complicated to operate at first. It requires a bit of a learning curve if you are not a tech-savvy person. The computer needs to be a little more intuitive but the payoff is completely worth it.

It is a very well built machine and sturdy. It's high quality and never had any problems with it. It has a very sleek design, looks modern and high tech. It allows me to get a very intense workout each day in a small amount time. It works out many muscle groups, tones the muscles, helps to burn fat, build stamina and cardio vascular strength as well mental strength and discipline. It motivates you to work out each day to stay healthy in both mind and body. The NordicTrack is a very motivational machine even though it may take some time getting used to. You eventually get used to it. You miss it and feel bad on days that you skip it and are unable to use the machine. It was a pretty good investment even though it was not cheap.

The machine cost me over 1000 dollars. I don't think it is the most affordable machine on the market. Just because it is expensive does not mean it is the best elliptical machine on the market. If NordicTrack could do something to improve the cost of the unit, it would make it more accessible to people in the market place for fitness equipment and similar tools. If they could bring down the price more people would buy it and they would make more money by selling in volume. They would be more of a household name. They could also add fancier on screen technology like Peloton have these days. That would help justify the cost of the NordicTrack elliptical training machine for more health enthusiasts in the market these days and would help them compete against similar brands making similar tools and products, etc.

Assembling the NordicTrack Rower machine is pretty easy and can be done in about 30 minutes to an hour and 30 minutes depending on how mechanically inclined you are. A lot of the NordicTrack rowing machine exercise device comes mostly pre fabricated and some of the build of it is left to the user at home. I needed minimal tools like a screwdriver and a wrench, but not a lot of tools or fancy equipment knowledge. It is a pretty heavy machine so you may want help moving it around and unboxing it and flipping it. If you move it to another room in your house you might want someone to help you out so you don't get hurt or scratch floors, carpet walls, etc. It came with good instructions and a dvd and they have a support to call as well.

The Nordictrack elliptical machine is user friendly - easy to turn on, set to a program, you can pause without losing your place, it has a spot to hold a water bottle and a spot for a towel. But the gait is not adjustable so it tends to be a bit on the short side for me, I need a longer stride. It's very hard to adjust the arms to be user friendly as well based on different sized persons. But once the machine is put together, it's easy to use. There is no set up each time you use it. You just turn it on and select a program based on your fitness goals.

The NordicTrack can be set to decrease and increase tension for a better workout. Pre-set programs that are visually and audibly stimulating can be loaded to help take your mind off of the hardness of the workout itself. What I do not like is that it's the same motion over and over again. I like the elliptical machines that have some variation in the movements of the legs. I also do not like the little holder to prop your phone on. It sinks down where you can't really see your phone, if you use it to listen to music or to watch a video. There isn't much to set it up. Once it's up, all that you have to do is get on with your feet and arms in place and start pedalling. The timer starts automatically and I have to increase the intensity.

I like Nordic track because it's easy to use it to work out everyday to lose weight, increase abs, maintain good energy and have a positive attitude. But I would like to improve my workout time on it so I can enjoy it more than I usually do right now. It's fun and rewarding for people to work out with it.

The Nordic Track is easy to use. Push one or two buttons to select programs. Weight loss, Aerobic, Endurance, and heart rate. It is solid and it works well, so I don't have to worry about it shaking even when my husband uses it. It also lets you adjust the incline and speed easily. However I wish it had online features and more choices for programs. I get tired of the same ones over and over. I like the more advanced models that can connect to your Fitbit or offer online programs. A built in TV would be a nice extra as well.

I like that it shows how many calories you burn, your heart rate & the distance you go. And it can play music while you exercise & help you with your workout. It makes you feel good inside & you know that it is good for your heart. It is easy to use, too, you just get on it & start moving with adjusting how easy or hard of a level you want to use.

The Elliptical is a good buy. It's reliable but some features lack quality. With it had higher steps, heavier, and advanced workouts. Preprogrammed workouts are made for beginners, and heart monitor is very inaccurate.

It was very easy to set up although it is quite heavy. Once the elliptical machine was situated in the spare room, it was simply a process of unfolding it and then locking it into place. It is very versatile and it is easy to dial in the various programs and set up variable resistance to increase effort and cardiovascular exercise level. It has many features and customizable programs.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

NordicTrack is known for their trademark skiers, which were introduced over 25 years ago. They have since expanded their lineup to include a variety of cardio equipment, including ellipticals. NordicTrack’s ellipticals are designed for both commercial and home use.

• Commercial series: The Commercial 14.9 and C 12.9 are NordicTrack’s commercial ellipticals. These machines are durable, with added features such as 26 resistance levels, an integrated tablet holder, a sound system and a touchscreen that is iFit enabled. The Mid-mech commercial series ellipticals can work in either a commercial or home setting.
  • SpaceSaver® Design: NordicTrack has several ellipticals with the SpaceSaver® Design, which makes it simple and quick to store the elliptical when it is not in use. Fold your elliptical up or down in one simple step, and easily roll it into a closet or other storage space when your workout is over.
  • 30-day trial: NordicTrack offers customers a full 30 days to try their elliptical at home before returning it for a full refund. Exchanges can also be made within 30 days of receiving your elliptical.
  • FreeStride Trainer: NordicTrack’s FreeStride Trainer offers users a total body workout by combining movements from a treadmill, a stepper and an elliptical. There are three models to choose from, depending on which additional features you prefer. They all feature a web-enabled color touchscreen, and the FreeStride Trainer FS9i has an adjustable decline and incline, ranging from -10 percent to 10 percent.
  • Front and rear drive options: NordicTrack has both front and rear drive ellipticals, so you can choose your elliptical based on the type of movement you prefer during your workout.
  • Best for NordicTrack ellipticals are best for serious trainers and light commercial facilities.

Compare Ellipticals