1.28/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

162 NordicTrack Exercise Bikes Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I ordered a commercial grade recumbent bike in November 2018 as a Christmas gift for my parents. I received a confirmation email saying it was expected to be delivered in mid-December, but then it was delayed until January. When it was finally set up in my parent's home, it didn't work. The delivery company took it away and is supposedly sending a new one, but not until late January when they'll already have left for Florida (they spend 4 months in FL).

The call to the Sales Department was oddly "disconnected" and when I tried to call back, the call wouldn't go through. I tried on my cell phone and it worked. I think they literally blocked my number! No one has apologized for any of the trouble yet, although they did give me $100 off for the first delay in December, then another 10% ($85) for the broken machine. But at this point, they won't take my calls and have not provided fair service for this wait. I highly recommend not buying from NordicTrack.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

First, I would like to make it very clear this review has nothing to do with the quality of the equipment. We purchased an S22i Commercial Bike and so far it is great. Also, the company arranging the delivery and install was great (Last Mile Home). This review is directed at the Customer Service we received AFTER we purchased the bike. I knew that this purchase was going to be a substantial one so we did lots of research about equipment and even though NordicTrack had literally hundreds of really bad reviews, our sales person insisted they had changed and convinced us to purchase one from them. We actually thought the worst that could happen was that we had to deal with the bad customer service as we knew the bike was one of or the best bike on the market. Well, the reviews were way too kind. This was the worst customer service I have ever experienced. It was almost time to ask if we were on some practical joke show!

Once we had made the purchase and it was supposed to ship in a few days, it magically was backordered and I received several different shipping dates which, none were from our sales person as they did not see fit to return emails any longer. The only way I ever got to them was they were the Sales person when I was on their Chat and he couldn't ignore me when he realized who I was. I am not kidding that not one person could ever tell me when I was getting my bike nor where it was at any time. Oh, and do not rely on the activity tracker on your order as we have ours working in our home and it still shows that it is processing!

I was so upset a few times at the service, I actually was going to cancel. The Customer Service people told me that was fine and told me to call Accounting. I called this number they gave me and I kid you not, I tried for a total of about 3 hours trying to reach someone but no one ever answered! So, I could not cancel it. That is probably why they didn't care! The only thing they have going for them, at least on the west coast, is the companies they work with. We dealt with Last Mile Home for where the bike actually was and arranging delivery and installation. I believe the company Interstate delivered and assembled the bike. They were all great!! So in summary, if you know this going in, you might not get too stressed out. It is worth the wait so I wanted to make sure you all got the real skinny on these horrible employees.

Get expert buying tips about Exercise Bikes delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

NordicTrack Exercise Bike MN: 21914.3 pedal broke. I opened a work order as the machine is less than 2 months old. The technician told me he can't do much without the parts and I had to call in for parts. I called customer service - after waiting in line for 1 hour plus and the call was hung up. Finally got customer service on chat and I was told that they couldn't help me until the technician entered the notes. As a consumer I am caught in the middle hearing different stories. I need for this exercise equipment to be fixed fully or replaced with new one or get a full refund.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

We bought this over the holidays due to great price, the fact that we have used many past NordicTrack products, and may someday like to use iFit. This bike came with iFit and, due to the sale price, was the same price as the one without iFit "compatibility". We received the bike, assembled it, and found that the digital control panel is disabled (simply reads Hello) until you activate iFit (came with 1 year free membership). We have satellite internet and poor wifi so we did not plan on using iFit immediately. I spent over 4 days on the phone with Sears, NordicTrack, and iFit. They would not answer my continued question as whether I could activate the bike without iFit. They all said they would look into it and get back to me. Sears and NordicTrack never did get back to me but iFit did after 4 days (holiday business I guess). All they could tell me was that I needed to activate the membership.

Once I did I got an email from iFit telling me to hold down the blue iFit button in the top right corner of control panel for at least 30 seconds. Once I did that the bike worked. It seems that the trick to get the bike working is work through iFit customer service, not NordicTrack as I had assumed. We debated what to do but I dove in and decided to activate the free 1 year membership. It worked, the bike now works, and iFit was able to then (by phone call) deactivate my free membership. They claimed I could reactivate the "Free time left" at any time by calling back. The bike still works (I was afraid the control panel would now go dark again) with all functions... just does not connect to iFit account or benefits. I think in the end the user Manual could have been more clear.

Since this solution the control panel since malfunctioned (every 12-15 minutes reset). I figured out that if I powered off the bike it work for another 12-15 minutes before repeating issue. iFit customer service is replacing it at no cost due to software issue. I made the call to NordicTrack, who passed me to iFit, but iFit provided solution within a few minutes.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I ordered the NordicTrack S22i bike during Black Friday to take advantage of the sale price. I was told the first batch of bikes wouldn't ship until December 15th and I was forced to spend over $300 for white glove delivery (they ship to a third party company who delivers, installs equipment). Every day after December 15th I would track the shipment with the tracking link they emailed me and every day it would change to a later date. By late December I started contacting NordicTrack, holding for hours, sometimes getting disconnected by their line after holding more than 50 minutes, other times by their employees that would answer without saying anything (I could hear their background) and hang up.

During days of this, NordicTrack telling me their delivery service (NDS - Non-Stop Delivery) had received the bike and NDS telling me they had the bike with no docs for authorization to deliver. Escalation email after another, I was finally told that the bike was lost and never shipped, although I had already been charged. The next batch of bikes wasn't shipping until January 22nd, at the earliest. NordicTrack would not budge on compensation credit for their error and their customer service is horrible IF you can reach them. I cancelled my NordicTrack order and ordered a Peloton.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NordicTrack Exercise Bikes?

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

My husband purchased me the NordicTrack S22i bike for Christmas. It was delivered when it said it was but we were supposed to get an iFit 1 year membership for free with purchase. We’ve had the bike for about 5 days and they still have not sent us the activation code for our membership. We have each contacted customer service. Was on hold for over an hour both times with no help. I tried the chat rooms on their websites but no response. The sales department responded but they told me they couldn’t help me. I was not aware that you have to have the membership in order to use this $2,000 bike!! What a racket! The seat is extremely uncomfortable, even with a gel pad. I am strongly considering returning it. Really disappointed.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Received as Christmas gift. Returned after 3 days of trying to contact customer service - once waiting 70 minutes on hold, also left my number for callback which hasn't happened yet. Very surprised that after first year my credit card would be charged $399 a year to continue iFIT usage (which is required to use bike). Credit card required to activate the free year of iFIT. I never got my bike off the HELLO screen even after following every direction I could find in manual and online. Worst purchase ever.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Ordered bike 12/2, get shipping confirmation 12/4 that it went to local delivery company. Was patient with holidays and maybe delayed but never heard before Christmas and even waited to 12/31 to finally call. Ends up bike never shipped but took 3 phone calls and over an hour to figure this out. Manager finally tells me to call back as Billing & Returns has over 1/2 hour hold time. I have nothing to return!!!! Have to "cancel" my order and reorder so now another 2-3 weeks before I get my bike. Oh, and my credit card was charged 12/9 so they have had my money since then. A disaster to say the least!!!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

NordicTrack GX4.7R - Easy to set up with clear directions and tools were organized. Looks nice! Unfortunately, when the bike is on, the screen says ‘hello’ and doesn’t do anything else... unless you subscribe to an iFit membership! (Returned it).

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

By the far the worst customer service for any product I have owned and this is a fairly expensive piece of exercise equipment at close to $2k when I purchased. Within less than a year I had two issues - one related to software which is under iFit - took about a month with numerous customer service calls only to have to fix problem on my own after CS rep gave me administrator access to the tablet. Shortly after a piece of plastic broke on the inside and now there is no resistance when pedaling. To gain access to body you need a special tool used to take apart bikes - CS rep wanted me to purchase this and call back to do a video conference to diagnose issue.

I advised that this was under warranty and needed to send out tech. No luck in getting tech out with multiple call to customer service. They did order a part which may or may not be issue and that arrived within 5 days, but no one to install the part so it is useless. I have read a number of complaint online of this tactic where CS reps are advised to just send parts and not order service techs due to high costs for this. Please do your self a favor and do not buy anything from this company.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

UPS failed to deliver the NordicTrack Icon recumbent bike I purchased. I notified NordicTrack the item was not delivered immediately and it has now been 10 weeks since they have had my payment. NordicTrack said they would refund me for full payment but only refunded me $130.00 for the extended warranty. I have not received any refund for the cost of the bike which was $1000.00. Beware!! Do not deal with NordicTrack, period. So many better products and companies out there. Stay away from Nordic Track. The company doesn't care about their customers.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

We purchased a NordicTrack bike, got it set up and everything with no issues. Until we actually went to use the bike. It forces you to sign up for iFit, no exceptions. It offers you a free month trial, however you still have to put in your card information so they can automatically renew your membership. We paid over $700 for this bike, we should be able to just use it, not sign up for something we have no interest in. Terrible business practice.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

In April, 2018, I purchased a recumbent VR-25. After assembling the bike, I tried to use it. The pedals would not turn, no matter how much force. After spending hours trying to get customer service to come out. A month later the tech told me the flywheel was bent and would need a new one. He ordered it and another month later installed it. My fault for not trying it out before he left. It still does not turn. Called back. They said they would send someone out right away. A month later no one. Called back. They apologized. "We'll send someone out." A month later I called back, etc. It's now 6 months later and I have been playing this game with them with a bike that does not work. I never bothered to write a review on anything before, but since this is the worst experience I ever had with any product, I felt obligated to share.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I bought this exercise bike based on the reviews I’d seen on the site. I’m guessing they cherrypick the positive reviews and delete the bad ones. The bike was defective. A pretty important part has apparently been smashed in transit. Inside the box was a sheet of paper outlining what to do in the event of a damaged product. I followed the instructions, setting out the damaged part, including photos etc, and after almost two weeks of back and forth, was eventually told I’d reached the wrong department, and instead of passing along all our correspondence, they left me with a number that didn’t work.

After a lot of research, calls, etc I was eventually able to track down the rift department. Now I’m still waiting for the part, which I’m told is on back order and won’t be here for 4 week, and the left pedal is clicking with each rotation. Oh, and don’t be fooled by the “30-day money back guarantee” either. If you’re not satisfied with the product, you’ll have to pay return shipping AND a 10% “restocking” charge. So “money back” is used loosely here. Overall, a terrible customer experience, and I wish I’d seen this consumer report page before I ordered the product, rather than relying on the reviews on their site.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I purchased the bike and had no issues there, even received a discount on the membership. The bike was delivered (all automated messages to schedule) and my only option for delivery was "white glove". They set the bike up, tested it, and it didn't work. They called someone to troubleshoot it, then packed it up and took it away. Turns out the motor didn't work. The delivery company had dispatch call us to say they would send another one. We already waited 2 weeks for this one, only to get it, brand new and for it to not work.

Not wanting to wait another 2 weeks, for the same thing to happen, I canceled the order. If something brand new doesn't work, what does that say about the product in the long run? When I called to cancel the order, they didn't even seem shocked and didn't try anything to keep me as a customer (no apology, discount offering). Just a "we'll cancel and send you a confirmation number". I decided to purchase the Peloton instead after this.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I purchased their top of the line spin bike on September 27th and was shipped the equipment immediately. October 3rd the bike arrives in Phoenix AZ and I am told that I will be receiving a call shortly to schedule delivery and setup. A week goes by and still nothing. I call daily and I am told all is going fine. The third time I call they say they have no record of my purchase. Yet by this time I have been financed with TD RETAIL and have a bill and payment due date. Still no bike. I call to cancel the order and I am told I can only cancel after I receive the equipment. Well that's impossible seeing that they lost my bike and have no record of the shipment nor the order. Another week goes by and they cancel my order, it is now October 30th and I still have a bill, it shows a refund pending from the 15th yet not released. This company is absolutely terrible.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Our Elite 4.4 upright bike screen blinks when plugged in. It is under warranty (we’ve had it 9 months) and when we called NordicTrack to explain the problem, the customer service technician says that the part is on back order & they don’t have a technician to install the new part & all it takes is a few screws & a screwdriver & connecting a wire. I explain that the machine is under warranty, so shouldn’t they have a technician to install the new part? His answer, ”no.” I also explain that if the part is on back order, then this is a common problem with this model & they should have a technician to install the new part.

He says,”no cause it’s an easy fix.” Again, I explain that it’s still under warranty & NordicTrack should have a technician to fix the problem. Well, regardless if you have a warranty, NordicTrack will send you parts that are on backorder, with no estimated time of arrival, so you can fix your machine yourself. Oh, and they have an app that you can download to figure it out yourself. I am so disappointed with NordicTrack & their warranty to fix it yourself. DO NOT PURCHASE THEIR EQUIPMENT & WARRANTY!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I purchased the NordicTrack VR25 in August 2018, when it finally was delivered, the delivery men knew nothing about how to set it up. It took them a while following instructions. Screen was damaged and the tension was so tight that we can’t use it. We’ve called several times to NordicTrack and get a complete runaround with no one wanting to help us. They keep transferring us to another rep. We asked if they could send someone out to fix the bike or come pick the bike up and give us a full refund. They won’t do either. They want us to try troubleshooting the bike and let them know so they can send the parts to us. This is crazy! We don’t know anything about fixing bikes, that’s why we purchased the extended warranty so things like this will be fixed in a timely manner.

I had two major back surgeries and need a bike to stay active but this bike is useless at this point. I still haven’t received a new screen to replace the one that is damaged. This is so frustrating and I’m out a lot of money. This has to be some kind of crime that they won’t respond back and even try or want to fix the bikes that they sell. It’s like if you aren’t calling to buy something, you are wasting their time and will transfer you in a heartbeat. I do not recommend buying anything from NordicTrack ever.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I purchased the S22i STUDIO CYCLE. Have experienced multiple issues and comment as follows: 5/15/18- placed order, with 4 YR maintenance for $239.95. 6/29/18- I received the bike. 8/7/18- the bike did not turn on. I was asked to make sure proper connections as follows: 122 & 123, 124 & 125, 123 to back of console, 124 to back of console.

8/8/18- orders ** & ** were placed for replacement console 393599 & fan 392672. 8/15/18- the replacement console did not resolve the issue. 8/22/18- another rep placed an order ** for POWER SWITCH part 264511. 8/30/18- the shipment was lost and new order ** placed. 8/31/18- I received the first switch and this resolved the problem. 9/25/18- the bike shut down again and a new order ** was placed for wire harnesses. I received part 398299, but am still waiting for an update to part 398346, which has not yet been shipped. 10/1/18- Paresh ** contacted me, but I informed him that I am still waiting for an update to part 398346. I received this bike on 6/29/18 and for one reason or another, it has been out of commission for about half of the 3-month period.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I purchased this bike with a total knee replacement in mind. This being my 2nd knee done, I did not have a bike the first time. Really the only issue I have is that you cannot bring it down to no resistance while rehabbing, therefore I have tweaked my knee several times. I believe once I am rehabbed that it will be an amazing bike for everyday use and to keep motivated as I like being able to work out in a cool environment, which you never know what the weather outside is going to be. I am 5 weeks post surgery and progressing well this time. Cannot wait to challenge myself more on this bike with so many features.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

The only positive so far was the bike arrived 7 days after ordering. That’s where it ends. The electronic touchscreen console would not load correctly at start up. After forever on the phone with Customer Service we were told a “usb drive” would be mailed to us in 7-10 days and to give that a try. Unreal! I spend over $1000 for a bike that is inoperable and am told I’ll need to wait 7-10 days. I offered to pay for overnight shipping and was told they can’t do anything quicker than 7-10 days.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Purchased a top line NordicTrack recumbent bike for my wife's birthday as a surprise. Ordered in plenty of time and ordered with their knowing the time constraint. First issue was it did not arrive until 10 days late and they were zero help in getting it delivered. Should have canceled payment but...unit assembled and began usage. Nice machine but an immediate issue that the heart monitor did not work. Warranty says we had 1 year in-home service...they sent parts and would not send a service tech.

I installed the handgrips but again the monitor did not work. Called again and they diagnosed as a bad console...and again they sent a console and other parts but would not honor the "in-home" warranty. I can't install all the parts and they have sat. I've contacted them several times and when they wanted to extend the warranty I wrote them, again, that I needed the parts installed; NO RESPONSE and now off warranty period for "in-home service".

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I purchased this bike (S22i) over the Peloton. The specs were advertised as superior than the Peloton. Boy, was I wrong! First bike I received could not be ridden. It made a horrible grinding sound when the pedals turned. Then I received a replacement about 3 weeks later. Same issue, except only when bike had resistance and/or incline. Additionally, bike was extremely wobbling. Spent literally hours on the phone with customer service. Got passed around like a hot potato. Customer service in returns department was flat out rude. Claimed no supervisor would talk to me.

Ended up getting lucky by calling on a different day and spoke with a gal at returns who had common sense and decency to take the bike back and offer a full refund. I didn’t have to argue or beg or anything - she just offered it based on the fact that I was within the 30 day guarantee period. It sounds like other folks have not been as lucky as me. I would not recommend NordicTrack anything. I took my money to Peloton and I’m glad I did. Classes are so much better and no issues with my bike whatsoever.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I have had nothing good to say about this Grand Pro Tour bike. The first one arrived broken-the crankshaft would not turn. The serviceman dispatched to repair it had never seen one before, but after reading over the manual, he identified what needed to be replaced and took care of it. It only took two rides before this part broke. They offered to replace it, and I foolishly agreed instead of just asking for a refund. Now, just two months later, this bike is breaking. The front end is completely unstable and we are unable to tighten it down so the bike makes a thumping noise as it is ridden. Suffice to say that my downstairs neighbor is NOT a fan.

Besides the poor quality of the bike, there is the question of who engineered it and did they even bother to sit on it when they designed it to be bundled with iFit (which I actually really like). For example, even though iFit constantly exhorts me to "stand up on the pedals," there is no way to stand on these pedals as the wheel simply won't turn that way.

In addition, the incline and resistance settings on the bike do not match up with iFit, so the build up in your workout is totally off base the entire time, making you struggle in the beginning and then having nowhere to go as the iFit incline/resistance is much greater than the bike is capable of. To top it all off, NT will not take this bike back as it started to break down outside their 30-day return window--so now I have no recourse except to hope that repairs for this bike stick better than the last one. Do yourself a favor and don't make my expensive mistake. Pass on this poorly designed and tested bike.

Original review: July 25, 2018

July 2018 - Grand Tour bike defective out-of-the-box. Icon manufacturing (NordicTrack parent) evasive about fixing and honoring 30 day return guarantee. Level 1 hard and clunky when spinning. Called support (23 minutes) "go to a bike shop and purchase a crank arm tool" to take off crank and look inside bike to see if anything is broken. (Like buying an iPhone and Apple telling me to call Foxconn for support who tells me to go to Ace Hardware to buy a tool to crack open iPhone and look inside.)

Called sales who transferred me to a "better" support agent (48 mins). "It's a training bike. Hard even on level 1. Harder than walking". Said same take off cover, but he (name Bo) could not stay on the phone to help me do it. Called returns. Said the resistance sounded too high. Offered me "5% discount" ($50). I said no. It is broken. How does $50 help? Then offered to ship a new bike and pick up old one.

Called returns 3 days later after not getting email or phone call as was promised. (Returns closed for a state holiday). Called sales could find no record of any such return commitment. This is not a business who can be trusted. Mine story is repeated here and at other sites like allexercisebikes dot net. Do not purchase from NordicTrack or Icon Manufacturing as they do not stand by their products. I called AMEX who is advocating on our behalf.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I ordered this Commercial S22i Studio Cycle February 22nd. Nothing but problems since day one. It's June 11th and today's the first day it is finally ready to be ridden. Problems (yes, they are in a list because there have been so many): The sales agent told me that the bike came with clipless pedals (the kind you can use cleats with and clip your shoe into), found out a few days later that they only come with the pedals with the foot cage that you strap your foot into. Originally, I selected the delivery option where they ship the bike directly to your door via UPS and you have to set it up yourself. I called back the next day to change the delivery option so that they would have a 3rd company deliver and install the bike. I paid for it using a different credit card that had a different billing address (I'll get to this later).

After confirming 3 times that the delivery had been changed and it would be installed, they still shipped it to my door via UPS. I had to pay the maintenance men in my complex to get the 140lb box and 50 lb box up my stairs, because NordicTrack said there was nothing they could do at that point (I called them as soon as I got the email from UPS that I had a package arriving in 2 days).

Even before the shipping problems, it was back ordered for a few weeks. They gave me a specific date it would ship on, it didn't ship for another week after that date. When they emailed me that the bike would be back ordered, they said they would take $400 off of total price of the bike. I asked for an updated invoice, which I never received. When I called billing to get the updated invoice, they had no record of the $400 discount; they had me send them the email I received from their own company. NordicTrack told me I would have to call TD bank (that's who they use for financing) if I wanted an updated invoice.

They sent a third party company to install the bike. The company thought they were coming to install a treadmill. They left without having me try the bike. As soon as I went to sit on it, the seat fell forward and I couldn't move it back. There was also wiring that was left exposed under the handlebars from the screen console. I called NordicTrack and they sent out new handlebars and a new seat. They sent them to the wrong address (the one I gave when I called to add on the delivery with installation). When I saw that they shipped them to the wrong address (they hadn't actually arrived there yet) they told me that they would try to stop the delivery of those parts and send me new ones. Then they told me that the handlebars were on back order and it would take a few weeks to even get them back in stock before they shipped.

I purchased a 5 year warranty. They keep sending warranty offers, to the wrong address (the same one they first shipped the parts to). Why do they not have it marked in their system that I already have the longest warranty (at least of the ones they offered me)? After the parts arrived, I called them so they could have someone come and fix the parts. I had to call back the first company that called me about the installation and I couldn't get in touch with them. Then they left a voicemail that the work order would expire the following day. Finally a week later, another guy calls me about coming to fix the parts.

I want to install my own clipless pedals so I purchased them from Amazon. I'm not sure about the size though so first I chatted with NordicTrack online, then called customer service. The agent on the phone even spoke to the parts manager, but no one at NordicTrack can tell me the size or thread size of the pedals. They only can tell me that standard road pedals should fit but they can't guarantee that any other company's parts will fit.

Meanwhile, the manual says you can use your own pedals (NordicTrack doesn't make clipless pedals). How can the company not have the measurements for the pedals they use? Didn't they engineer, design, and produce the parts? There had to be measurements done at some point. So today is June 11th and finally the bike could be ridden, except for the issue with the pedals. I have already had to make 3 payments. Getting in touch with any department there, such as customer service, takes at least 45 minutes, except sales which answers immediately.

Last note: When I called to find out information about returning the bike, they told me I would have to pay a restocking charge, over $200. I had to argue with them, go over every problem I've had, and point out that I haven't even been able to ride the bike yet for them to finally agree that if I wanted to return it they wouldn't charge me. What a hassle this has been.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I purchase this bike (NordicTrack Grand Tour) and also purchased to have put together for me. The bike didn't pedal after they put it together. It was so hard to move pedals. The men that put together said they weren't responsible for making sure it worked. I would have to call company. I couldn't believe that. Well after long hours on phone and I had to be by bike with tools and told to start taking it apart to fix while on phone. There was no way I was going to try and fix it now. I did call in a bike repair service and they couldn't fix. They said I had to bring to their shop. Called back customer service. They said if I wasn't willing to fix with someone over the phone send back.

They weren't interested in sending anyone even know the people they send to put together didn't know what they were doing. They transferred me to returns and I spend two hours on hold. No answer. I called back the next day and same thing. Hours of waiting and no response. I called my credit card company. They refunded my money and the company didn't care to argue or do anything about it. Lucky me. Free broken bike that I have to look at... so frustrated. Do yourself a favor. Do not buy NordicTrack.

Original review: May 24, 2018

Worst experience ever. Waited 4 months for a bike that originally came out of the box broken. Told they would send parts and they never came. Spent over 2 hours on hold over numerous phone calls. They only take calls to sell new equipment. They will transfer you 3-4 times and each time you have to explain again what you are calling about, Completely dysfunctional company. Recommend steering clear if you value your time and money. An unbelievable experience to say the least.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I bought online a NordicTrack studio bike S22i this year in January and the website failed to indicate that the product was a preorder. It took two months to receive the bike and when I did there were many components broken on it. Called to exchange for a new bike and was told that they were sold out but that there would be a new shipment on 4/10 and 4/22. Well that never happened. Once 4/22 passed with no bike being shipped to me I called and was told it would ship in a week. That didn’t happen so I called again and was told it would ship in a week. That didn’t happen so I called again and was told it would ship in two weeks, again didn’t happen. Called again and was told an email was sent to sales manager to find out what was going on and I would receive a phone call back. That never happened. Called again and was told they would receive bikes on 6/4 and that they would ship to me within a week but that was not a guarantee.

Last phone call was with Anna who said she was a manager who kept trying to talk over me and wouldn’t listen to what I was saying which escalated my frustration. She then had the audacity to tell me when I kept talking that I was talking over her and that she would end the call if I continued to express my frustration. So I canceled the order and ordered a Peloton with a scheduled delivery date within a week. Would never recommend NordicTrack to anyone. Misleading advertising and rude customer service.

Original review: April 8, 2018

NordicTrack VR25E 2018 Review. Delivery was quick. It only took 6 days from order to delivery. The bike arrived in two large boxes. Both boxes were damaged on arrival and the bike had several scuff marks, but no major physical damage. I would say that the packing was not adequate considering the weight of the unit. Assembly was not very difficult until I got to the point of installing the seat onto the rail. To hold the seat in position, there is a mechanical clamp with three plastic pads that are glued onto a steel plate. One of the three pads snapped off before I even got close to mounting the seat. Fortunately, I noticed before I finished setting up the bike. I then used epoxy and a clamp to glue the part back on. Then, when I was finally installing the seat again, another of the plastic pieces popped off. Another 6 hours with epoxy and a clamp and I finally had the seat mounted.

The seat clamp mechanism is rather awkward to use while seated on the bike. I would much prefer the sort of spring-loaded, latch that others have even if that would mean limiting the seat to a specific set of positions. The NordicTrack allows you to clamp the seat into any position, but the difficulty of doing so is not a good trade.

The position of the tablet mount above the bike display is far too high for comfortable use. There’s no way you would want to browse the web or do anything that requires frequently touching the tablet screen in that position. Even reading would be difficult since each time you turn a page, you would have to strain to reach it. I’m 5’ 10” and when seated with my back against the back-rest, my fingertips are 9 inches short of reaching the tablet. You have to lean far forward to reach it.

There’s a second position to set a tablet on a ledge in front of the bike’s control panel, but this obviously blocks the bike’s display. If you really want to use the tablet, though, this should be OK. Unfortunately, the ledge is too deep such that it covers up a small portion of the bottom of the tablet. I’ll have to find something to place in the bottom of the ledge in order to raise the tablet a bit.

Then you come to the built-in workout. So far, I only tried the “free trial” workout. Whoever thought it was a great idea to show Google Street Views during a work-out must have been seriously out of touch. It’s a sequence of still images, not a flowing video. The images are low resolution. Half the time, you are apparently looking out the back of a vehicle directly at on-coming traffic. However, the sequence of the shots is such that all of the traffic is going backward! On top of that, you are viewing from a position about 10 feet high, so there’s really no feeling of being on a bike. And then there are images interspersed that are completely unexpected. Like staring straight out over water, or facing a wall, or facing a building or crowd of people. On top of all this, the resistance seems to be unrelated to the terrain you are viewing. It’s simply a terrible experience!

The bike operation is relatively smooth. Transition between resistance levels is continuous. The fan is quite loud and the angle cannot be adjusted. It would have been nice to have the ability to adjust the tilt, especially for taller and shorter users. The heart rate monitor was useless in my limited trial. The reading was less than half of what my Apple Watch was reporting. I’m quite certain the Apple watch was accurate. There’s no way I was at 55-65 bpm halfway through the ride. If I let go with my left hand, the sensor readout was unaffected. When I let go with my right, it instantly went to zero. Perhaps there is an electrical issue? I haven’t tried iFit. After that terrible free trial, I’m not sure why I would want to spend money on it.

NordicTrack Exercise Bikes expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Since it began in 1975 with its ski machine, NordicTrack has gone on to thrive after being acquired by Icon Health and Fitness in 1998, making a full line of fitness equipment including exercise bikes, treadmills, ellipticals, rowers and incline trainers. Its line of exercise bikes include upright, recumbent and sport bikes. Most bike models are iFit capable.

• Grand Tour bikes: NordicTrack’s Grand Tour exercise bikes come with web-enabled touchscreen displays, iFit technology and tablet holders. The Grand Tour Pro also comes with a power-adjustable incline feature that mimics a real bike during a climb as opposed to just increasing resistance. Grand Tour bikes are priced at $1,999 for the standard model and $2,499 for the Pro edition.

• Sport bikes: NordicTrack developed its Sport bike series to mimic a real road bike or a spin class bike. They come with a backlit display that monitors speed, time, distance, calories and heart rate. Riders can customize their work intensity by adjusting resistance with an easy-access knob. Sport bikes also come with a wireless chest pulse strap that displays diagnostics on the center console in real-time. Sport bikes are priced at $399 for the GX 3.5 and $1,299 for the GX 5.5.

• Recumbent bikes: NordicTrack's three recumbent bike models come with a backlit display, grip heart rate monitors and durable steel construction. Additionally, the Commercial VR25 recumbent bike includes NordicTrack's Bluetooth heart rate chest strap that displays real-time heart rate information on the screen. Each recumbent bike has an ergonomic, cushioned seat with lumbar support and ventilated back. All recumbent bikes are iFit compatible and are priced at $599-$999.

• Upright bikes: NordicTrack’s three upright bike models come with backlit display screens, heart rate monitor grips, vertical and horizontal seat adjustment and tablet holders. The GX 4.6 Pro model comes with NordicTrack’s Bluetooth chest strap that monitors a rider’s heart rate in real time. Upright bikes are iFit compatible with one-touch controls and have 22-25 resistance levels.

• Warranties: NordicTrack offers warranties on all of their exercise bikes. Warranties include a lifetime frame warranty, two- to five-year parts warranty and one- to two-year labor warranty.

• Best for: consumers looking for any type of exercise bike for a home gym.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs