NordicTrack Exercise Bikes

Compare Exercise Bikes

Research top Exercise Bikes recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

In 5/14 we purchased a Nordic Track recumbent bike for $340. I am in my 60's and was the only person to use the bike about 3-4 days a week. The warranty ran out 1 year later, during that time I wasn't able to use the bike for months due to spine surgery. 3 months after the warranty expired the eddy mechanism broke. We called the NT service phone number, they told us that the eddy mechanism doesn't break. We called service@iconfitness according to the manual. They again told us that part doesn't break but they would be happy to sell us a new part for $533.22. Why would they tell us the part doesn't break and why would we pay that much when the machine cost less than the part? After getting the runaround we gave up trying to get satisfaction. I wouldn't recommend buying Nordic Track products.

This is the worst piece of exercise equipment I have ever purchased. In less than 5 months of ownership it has broken three times. Pedals do not stay attached to the crank shaft (which is a separate problem). Takes weeks for parts to arrive, and then weeks for service tech to make time to come and complete repairs. I have submitted two product reviews to the company and they have not been posted to the company website. I believe that there is manipulation, deceit going on with this company. I would avoid them.

Decided on the one with back support for stability. Purchased in Sears store 9/07 2016. Delivered after 9/26/2016. Within that first week it was inoperable. Settings were off. After much discussion between Sears and NordicTrack, a new one was delivered. After 10/10/2016, something kept going wrong. NordicTrack wanted for me to go digging into some area and removing something. By some miracle the person on phone agreed to send tech, with the part which might be the problem. Sometime in November '16 he came and the part was not working correctly. He was unable to fix the problem. He said it had to do with the main panel computer.

Today he came to installed the part, and something else is wrong with the new part. I called Sears. The manager of the dept. remembered all that went wrong from the beginning and has sent some kind of "escalating" email to the company. Tomorrow I'll go put a complaint for NordicTrack in my local newspaper. I has given them the benefit of the doubt, but they are unreliable.

If I could give 0 or -10 stars, I would. I only wish I had read these first. Ordered 4 weeks ago, promised 4 times, finally had enough today. No delivery again, no call. Lies and more lies. Thankful it didn't arrive so I don't have to deal with the other issues read here. So I guess I'm the lucky one... Never arrived and just a lot of time wasted. DO NOT ORDER FROM NORDICTRACK. They have NO customer service and they DO NOT CARE about you! Save your money, buy a good bike and enjoy the outdoors.

NordicTrack GX 4.7 Recumbent Cycle - Lots of fancy talk. Functions at a very basic level and is not intuitive enough to get any information out of your workout. The user interface from a first glance looked promising but after many attempts to get in and explore this machine's capabilities I gave up. Signage, advertising and overall marketing words selling this machine is clearly overrated. The words "Ifit", graphics display, audio compatibility, easy to use are used to convince the novice they are getting state of the art exercising machine. I bought it because of those words and of course the price. Yes, I got what I paid for but I didn't get what all those words were meant to mean. The spirit of the marketing was never met in my case.

The display is a 1990's technology with very little meaningful information. The pulse monitor no matter how gentle or how well positioned never read my pulse correctly and I mean never! If it were correct I should have been dead looking at the numbers. Even at rest without the sweat and movement the pulse monitoring system is a child's toy. The display of the track and progress you are supposedly working on is useless and lacks even the most rudimentary intuitiveness. The fan is noisy and hardly moves air. Nordic should have kept this one stripped down and not try to fool the public with all this useless added on so called "features". However it is functional as a stationary bike, you know, the kind your mom use to use 30 years ago. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NordicTrack Exercise Bikes?

My NordicTrack Recumbent Bike is a disappointment since it is not durable as anyone would expect. The Customer Service is totally inadequate. No matter what time of the day or which day of the week I called, there is a very long wait for them to pick up the phone. It resulted in calling back, hoping the next call would be answered in a reasonable time.

Worse is the exercise bike failed to operate as required. The pulse reading either did not come on or jumped from one number to the next that was totally unreliable. If that was not enough, the resistance level would not stay at one number, resulting in the bike being impossible to work because the Level jumped well above the level that I had been using and was comfortable. I had to constantly correct the level of resistance back to "1" only for it to jump up to 9, or to 6, never the same. When I tried to return to the lower resistance level, the time would also change BACK to a shorter time. Hence, I could not keep track of the time on the bike or how using it was impacting my pulse, heart and health. Also, I began to hear noise from the operating system.

They worst experience besides the long delays in getting to talk to someone was having to REPEAT the problems to a second employee after a lengthy dialogue with the first one. All this besides being placed on hold during the conversation. At the end of the discussion, I was told they were ordering a new console, beatings and motor. However, NONE OF THE PARTS WERE IN STOCK.

What strains credulity is that this was prescribed by my doctor and as a medical device one needs to utilize on an ongoing basis. However, the firm offered no replacement, did not provide a temporary loaner, or consider taking parts from their inventory of existing machines. Moreover, no reasonable timeline was provided for delivery of back ordered parts and repair. Shame on NordicTrack for failing to follow the Golden Rule (do unto others as you want to thyself). Totally lacking in the Ethic of Reciprocity, this experience shows me the corporation has no protocols and procedures to provide the minimum customer service that is expected when purchasing their products that are under warranty (God only knows how they will handle Calls under their extended policy).

Consumer Increased Rating!

The bike has finally arrived. The second shipment arrived damaged so it took another extra week. They did refund a $100.00 dollars for the inconvenience.

Doina of San Diego, CA on

Original Review

I should have checked the reviews. I ordered a recumbent bike a while back. Today was delivery day and setup. The delivery persons when opening the box realized parts were incomplete. Only one box out of 2 made it. So they left the box and called the company and recommended that I follow up also. After waiting twenty minutes on the phone they had send the second box on the 27 of March and to a different delivery company! So whenever that company gets it, they will call for delivery and assembly.

It seems unbelievable that they did not ship both boxes at the same time and to the same company. Incompetence to the highest level. I will have to take off from work to have the item delivered. I am concerned now with the quality especially if I will need repairs. I also asked to make sure they send the Mat. She said it was mailed yesterday. The e-mail I got from the company stated all was shipped. I really regret I did not do more research, very expensive lesson learned $1200.

It arrived with many broken parts. It took 30 days for all the new parts to arrive. The bike has iFit, but the screen is mounted in such a way that my eyes are mostly out of the cone of view which means the picture is degraded to the point that I don't recognize my neighborhood. You can demonstrate this for yourself by viewing your TV from either 30-degrees above or 30-degrees below the viewing center. IT IS NOT ADJUSTABLE. There is no point in having iFit. After my experience on this, I do not have very good expectations for customer service.

UPDATED ON 03/15/2016: Customer service is nearly non-existent, so I have received no solution to my problem except for a mindless exchange of email. For example, my complaint is about my video display. Customer service then asked me for photos of my bike from three paces back. I did that. I was then asked if I needed further assistance.

This experience rides a fine line between madness and comedy. I am convinced that this company is in the process of being deliberately run into the ground its owners. I don't know what else explains this. Posts by other customers on NordicTrack's Facebook page mirror my experience, so I have searched the Web for class-action lawsuit, but that has revealed nothing.

I received a defective exercise bike that never worked. There is no resistance at all in the bike. I also purchased NordicTrack's premium $300 warranty which promises "someone would come to your home free of charge for 6 years if anything wears out or breaks on it and it will be completely covered." The customer care section had different ideas. The rep claimed the extended warranty is just a maintenance agreement. If the machine does not work, that is a customer responsibility to fix everything including rebuilding the motor.

The warranty does not actually cover repairs in spite of the misleading language. I am attempting to return the bike tomorrow but I have a detailed series of complaints I will make public if the company does not agree to a no cost return. I have had NordicTrack customer service problems every day since my order but I just wanted to document the fraud in this complaint. I should also mention that NordicTrack billed my credit card a higher amount than my invoice without my authorization.

After approximately one and a half years of owning the above bike and not abusing it, the resistance suddenly stopped responding. Level one felt like level twenty. When I contacted the online chat, I was advised to take it apart myself and check the wiring. There is no way I would be able to figure that out. If I wanted a service visit, I would have to pay $159 upfront to schedule a visit, wait for a scheduled appointment, $65 for the technician to come and diagnose the issue. Then, the technician would order the parts which would cost extra, and then wait for the parts to arrive, and then have the bike fixed! Seriously! To fix the bike costs more than what I paid for it and I have only had it for less than two years! Never again will I buy a NordicTrack!

I purchased a NordicTrack recumbent bike in April of 2013 for health reasons. The bike is only used by myself. I am a 59-year old female and the bike is used only in the winter and in inclement weather. A month ago when the cold set in and I could no longer go on my outdoor bike I went to use the bike and the screen would not work that allows you to increases or decrease tension. So the bike basically does not work since you cannot use the settings or programs. I called NordicTrack and sat on the phone for 2 hours listening to music. I called back the sales dept and again I was put on hold. No one ever answered the phone call to the corporate head quarters. My health is impacted by this situation. I spent over 500.00 for the bike plus assembly costs to Sears technicians to assemble the bike. Sears refused to send a repairman even if I paid because Sears advised me that they were not allowed to repair any more NordicTrack equipment.

So I have a large piece of exercise equipment that cost over 500.00 that is inoperable and NordicTrack has no customer service to answer questions or do repairs. I do not know what to do because I must have the equipment in my home for health reasons and I hold Sears and NordicTrack responsible for selling an inferior product. It is not like I paid 50.00 for this. What do I do first? I am writing a consumer report and then I am going to contact my local better business bureau and report Sears. I guess next maybe small claims court but honestly this company NordicTrack should be held responsible for selling inferior equipment and then not even offering a consumer or customer service to fix or remedy the problem within time that cost 500.00+++ assembly costs.

Avoid buying anything from NordicTrack. I have to have an exercise bike for my health and now I have to buy another bike plus find a way to dump this piece of crap. NordicTrack and Sears do not deserve to be in business because they sell inferior products then refuse any service or even have the courtesy to answer the phone.

I ordered the bike on-line on November 2, 2014 and the extended service contract on November 3. The web site indicated that it was in stock. After numerous emails and phone calls, I was told it was not in stock but had to be built. The bike did not ship until November 18 and I did not receive it until November 24. Had I known it would take 22 days to receive the bike, I would never have placed the order and would have sought out other alternatives.

Upon receiving and assembling the bike, I discovered problems with the console receiving signals. The distance between the reed switch and wheel magnet was incorrect for pick-up. There was no indication in the owners manual how to remedy this issue. On my initial ride on the bike, I could not move the fly wheel, even while standing with the resistance knob fully released. Upon further examination the brake adjustment nut was so misaligned that it would not retract through the frame. Even though it appeared to be fully released it was fully engaged.

With those issues resolved, the bike worked satisfactorily for 2 months. This past week, I noticed a sound coming from the chain area. I followed the instructions for removing the chain guard to tighten the chain. While doing this, I noticed that the right crank arm/sprocket was loose. Upon further investigation I discovered of the 5/16 flange screws head had sheared off, with threaded portion buried in the axle.

On Thursday January 29, 2015, I called customer service and remained on hold for at least 20 minutes before I gave up and tried the online chat feature on your website. The representative I chatted with agreed to ship a replacement screw and axle free of charge. He said it would take 3-5 days to ship and then 7-10 days to arrive. Aside from this series of frustrating missteps, I am flabbergasted by the lack of customer support your company offers for your products. Even for someone like myself with above average mechanical skills, the expectation that I would have on had the necessary tools such as snap rings pliers and technical knowledge to remove crank arms, snap rings, axle and repair the bike on my own is ridiculous.

I purchased a NordicTrack GX 2.5, which is the bike. When I was on level 1 it felt like level 20, so I was NEVER able to get past level 1 on the bike. I kept the bike for 2 years with limited use, but tried it again last week. It started to really hurt my knees, so I decided to buy a new bike. While at Sears, the sales rep told me it must be broken. I paid a man to take it apart to check it out. He found a broken cable bracket and found the part online for $111... so I called the 1800# and waited on hold for over 50 minutes with NO pick up, so I tried the website and did a live chat. They told me that I was out of warranty and the only thing they can do for me is give me 20% of the part. THE PART COST $111 AND THE BIKE ONLY COST $250!!! 20% does NOTHING for me. I am going to buy a new bike that is DEFINITELY not the NordicTrack brand and I strongly suggest you do NOT buy NordicTrack. Customer service is horrible and the bike is no better!

I need a repair to a recently purchased recumbent bike. I was informed that a tech would call. The tech called at my home number during work hours and did not leave a message. I believe it was the tech for the bike as the number came up as Exercise Equipment on phone caller id. I gave them my work number and cell phone number. So I called the number back and left a message and I emailed to the email address noted and 4 days later I have not received a reply. I called Nordic Track today and they said that a tech would try to call me within 72 hours.

Thanks for the sorry customer support Nordic Track. I guess that within 3 weeks to two months someone will call to set up a repair. And within another two months somebody could come out for the repair. AVOID ALL NORDIC TRACK PRODUCTS. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED, SO IF YOU BUY ONE OF THEIR PRODUCTS DON'T COMPLAIN ABOUT THEIR HORRIBLE SERVICE!!!

Received this bike for Christmas. Was put together in the beginning of January. No power. Tried a couple of outlets that work, but the bike would not turn on. Contacted Sears (where it was purchased) was told to call NordicTrack. NT tried to get me to troubleshoot, which we did. No go. Called again, sent me a harness with wires to replace. No go. Now they are sending me a new console. But that console is not in stock so it could be 2 weeks before that arrives. On the phone for 45 minutes today and in that amount of time was put on hold for 40 min. After reading other complaints from people, similar to mine, I'm beginning to think that this will never be resolved.

I bought a Nordic Track Exercise Bike Model GX 2.5 on December 13, 2012 at the Sears store in Fountain Hills, AZ. The bike worked well for about 3 months, then I decided to move it to another room (with care, mind you). Since that time, the control panel has not worked (no lights, no one home). I've gone through all the checklist provided on the web page (batteries, power to the wall socket, no GFI socket, etc.)... still nothing works on the control panel. This has been frustrating. But the worst is working (or not working) with customer service. I've tried many times to get through on their customer service line(s)... no one answers the phone!

I've also tried to get through on their customer service web page. It appears they do not want to take calls on issues or register issues online. Oh and I'm not supposed to contact Sears (according to the User's Manual). What? What's a consumer supposed to do? The bike is under warranty but how does one enforce the Warranty if no contact can be made with the manufacturer? I'm not a fan of Nordic Track. They seem to be much more interested in selling product and EXTENDED WARRANTY plans than in actually looking after their customer.

I sure wish I had seen these reviews before purchasing. I had the ski machine for years and it still worked when it went to Goodwill. However the bike did not hold up for two weeks. Banging in the front where you pedal. Two visits from the repairman and six months later it still bangs and will not hold resistance. Now they agree to replace, apparently realized it was a lemon. But I don't have any faith in the product and really don't want it. They also say I can only have 6 months of warranty since I already used 6 on the original bike. Where to go to get help on matters like this??? Now wish I had never heard of morel track.

I have a seven year old NordicTrack exercise bike, though I really had not used it for the first six years. About a year ago, I started riding it regularly. After about a month of use, I noticed that the pedals would slip occasionally when I increased the resistance. After about eight weeks of use, the pedals would slip all the time, rendering this bike useless. So I disassemble it, trying to find the problem. After many hours of labor and about $100 misspent in purchasing the wrong parts, I finally found the problem. It’s the rear pulley with a failed needle bearing race, (i.e., the plastic piece that holds the needle bearings in position).

I pull out my NordicTrack owner's manual, only to find that the part does not appear on the part drawing or in the parts list. I call NordicTrack customer service and tried to purchase the part. The NT rep (no name offered), stated that, "If it’s not shown on the parts list, then you can't order the part." Afterwards, he tried to tell me that it was part of the flywheel and it would cost $313. I denied his claim and told him that it’s a separate part and has nothing to do with the Flywheel.

Hmm, I find it very suspicious that this is the only bearing that you can't order as a replacement part and yet all of the other bearings are shown and are available. I believe that this is a known design flaw and therefore was removed from their parts list and drawing. So I told him, "I really only got about two months of use out of the bike and now it’s a pile of junk that can't be fixed? I will never purchase another NordicTrack product again."

I bought the recumbent bike 1 1/2 yrs ago. Did not use it much as I use my Road bike most of the time. The recumbent may have 5 hours of use on it. Tried to use it in October and smoke came billowing out of the console. It took 2 days to get the smoke stink out of my house. Paid $139 for the repair man to come out.

He said, the company should replace the console at no cost and the bike should be repaired by Thanksgiving. After contacting him 3 times, he informed us today, December 30, 2010 that the company will not replace the parts and it will cost me over $300 to replace the console. That will bring the cost of repairing this bike to over $439 and I will probably have to pay to dispose of this worthless piece of metal .I paid approximately $400 for the bike. I will never buy any Nordic Track product again.

I purchased the Nordic Track recumbent bicycle (model number NTEX05808.0, S/N AA020 C04951) from Sears in Santa Monica, CA, on October 12, 2009, in which Sears also assembled the unit. Please note that the seat is at a downward slant, which is not comfortable, and I'm sure was not intended to be this way. The purpose of this purchase was to prepare/strengthen my legs for my upcoming knee surgery on March 5, 2010, and my aftercare therapy. The day after my surgery (March 6, 2010), I got on the Nordic Track bike to begin minimal exercise therapy, but there was no resistance, and the pedals just spun around. I immediately phoned Nordic Track, and spoke to a young man named Zack. I explained the problem, and he said that he would order the part, however, it would take 7 to 10 days to arrive. We would receive a call, as to who to contact, once the part was here, so they could do the repair.

In my anxiety, I called again on March 8, 2010, and spoke to someone by the name of Gale to check on the status. She said the part was shipping from Utah, and the representative would call in a few days. I believe it was 3/12. I received a call from a person named Bill from True Fitness. He said the part was in the mail, and when we received it, to call Aron, a technician from True Fitness to arrange for him to come to our house, and fix the bike. After ten 3/15/10, 9 days of our initial call, we received the small part.

On March 15th, 2010, I phoned Aron twice at the above noted phone number, and left messages to make arrangements for him to come and repair the unit, but to no avail. We have not heard from Aron. I called Nordic Track again, and spoke to yet another representative by the name of Brett. I told him what was happening. He said he would put in another request for another representative to contact us, so we can get the unit repaired, but it would probably be another 3 - 5 days.

I cannot stress enough that I am not a happy customer about the shabby build of this product, not to mention the less than urgent manner, in which this was handled. I have not been able to use the bike for its intended purpose of therapy after my surgery. I initiated letters to Nordic Track, Sears and True Fitness for a resolve to this issue. Today is 3/19/10. I received a call from a woman by the name of Christine, who stated she was the assistant to Mr. Frank T., CEO of True Fitness. Christine told me that they have no affiliation with Nordic Track, and have never had any association with them. She apologized that she could not help me.

I asked her to be sure there are no dealing between the two companies, and left it at that. I found this to be very interesting, and am waiting a response to my letters from both Nordic Track and Sears. The manual states that this unit has a one (1) year warranty from the date of purchase. I was unable to use the recumbent bicycle for the reason it was purchased, and that was my knee rehabilitation.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Since it began in 1975 with its ski machine, NordicTrack has gone on to thrive after being acquired by Icon Health and Fitness in 1998, making a full line of fitness equipment including exercise bikes, treadmills, ellipticals, rowers and incline trainers. Its line of exercise bikes include upright, recumbent and sport bikes. Most bike models are iFit capable.

• Grand Tour bikes: NordicTrack’s Grand Tour exercise bikes come with web-enabled touchscreen displays, iFit technology and tablet holders. The Grand Tour Pro also comes with a power-adjustable incline feature that mimics a real bike during a climb as opposed to just increasing resistance. Grand Tour bikes are priced at $1,999 for the standard model and $2,499 for the Pro edition.
  • Sport bikes: NordicTrack developed its Sport bike series to mimic a real road bike or a spin class bike. They come with a backlit display that monitors speed, time, distance, calories and heart rate. Riders can customize their work intensity by adjusting resistance with an easy-access knob. Sport bikes also come with a wireless chest pulse strap that displays diagnostics on the center console in real-time. Sport bikes are priced at $399 for the GX 3.5 and $1,299 for the GX 5.5.
  • Recumbent bikes: NordicTrack's three recumbent bike models come with a backlit display, grip heart rate monitors and durable steel construction. Additionally, the Commercial VR25 recumbent bike includes NordicTrack's Bluetooth heart rate chest strap that displays real-time heart rate information on the screen. Each recumbent bike has an ergonomic, cushioned seat with lumbar support and ventilated back. All recumbent bikes are iFit compatible and are priced at $599-$999.
  • Upright bikes: NordicTrack’s three upright bike models come with backlit display screens, heart rate monitor grips, vertical and horizontal seat adjustment and tablet holders. The GX 4.6 Pro model comes with NordicTrack’s Bluetooth chest strap that monitors a rider’s heart rate in real time. Upright bikes are iFit compatible with one-touch controls and have 22-25 resistance levels.
  • Warranties: NordicTrack offers warranties on all of their exercise bikes. Warranties include a lifetime frame warranty, two- to five-year parts warranty and one- to two-year labor warranty.
  • Best for consumers looking for any type of exercise bike for a home gym.

Compare Exercise Bikes