4.00/5
  • 1 star
Based on 19 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 22, 2017

19 Medela Breast Pumps Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

This is regarding my experience with Medela mini electric pump. I have bought the mini electric pump twice in the last 8 months (both from Amazon). After the first purchase within 6 months the motor stopped working. Gave for service but the motor still gave me problems. So I bought another one about 2 months back. The second pump also in no time started showing problems. Now I have 2 pumps but both not working. I requested them to refund my money or replace these two pumps with a different Medela product but they refused and I haven't received a call or mail from them after. Worst service ever.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

My Medela breast pump is easy to use and clean. I can adjust the level of pumping to pump quicker but can stop it if it starts to hurt. You attach one or both of the hoses and then put together the flange part of the pump. Attach that to a bottle and put the hose in the back of the flange. Turn the pump on and it starts the stimulation phase. If you have a let down before the stimulation phase is over you press the button and then adjust the level of pumping until just before it hurts. When you're done pumping you undo the hose and let it pump for a few seconds and then turn the pump off. My Medela breast pump easily takes milk from my breasts unlike manual pumps, which I do not respond to.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

I used the Medela electric pump a long time ago and it was a good design. Setup was fast and it worked well. It was efficient and didn't take long to pump milk. It was easy to use as well as easy to clean. It had its own carrier bag, which was convenient and I found it helpful for carrying the breast pump supplies. I would've packed batteries for when I could not find an electrical outlet. The Medela breast pump was expensive and lasted a long time. The accessories were also expensive as well as the storage bags for the breast milk.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

I enjoyed the benefits of the breast pump, the ease of use, versus having to manually express breast milk. It is comfortable and also so much fun. I really like the way I feel when I had the machine basically suckling my nipples. It’s very simple to set up as well. At times seemed very tedious, especially when you are barely awake, alone with a crying baby, and engorged with milk. I don't want to be with the kind of breast pump that makes me feel independent, inadequate, or insecure about my personal physical deformity. Having a third nipple made it easier in some ways, but I felt like I needed to get myself together in other ways!

I would like the breast pump to be warmer and more gentle. It seems like a good idea to get the babies to be able to get a hold of you when you get back from the airport to express more milk. Also, I believe that you have a good night sleep with you and your pump endlessly suckling the milk and assuring the tenderness was at a very minimal.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

Medela the best pump out there. It pulls the milk out more than other brands. I used couple of other brands and I still get full after use. However with this, I felt relieved. It’s a trusted brands. Medela does the job. It’s easy to use too. Regardless, I still had someone explain how to use the product. But I don't like that it’s very pricey. It’s expensive for mothers to have so much expenses. It’s clunky and can be a bit more faster. I had spent 20 to 30 minutes pumping.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medela Breast Pumps?

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

It was quiet and easy to take with me to pump on go. I could pump anywhere with a outlet plus bag was cute, friendly customer service and easy to use instructions. However, it wasn’t hand free and it had to be plugged in, no battery options so if I take it had to have outlet. And it was hard to clean and my insurance didn’t cover the many options to make it easier so I paid out of pocket, plus delivery time was slow. My trouble was I didn’t produce enough milk and was hard to get baby out of my arms long enough to pump so setting everything up to pump sucked.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

It’s a strong pump, glad I rented it. I used it for both my daughters. It was a machine with guts. I love how fast it would pump the milk out. It's easy to clean too. Only one breast at a time could be done, and it is a little painful because it pumps so hard. It was also very big to carry around and had to be plugged in to be used and didn't have a charger in it. I could only use at so many places.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

The pump is very easy to set up and use. It is a little uncomfortable at first but once it gets going, it's fine. The pump is easy to wash, just use soap and water. I feel the double pump is very efficient and it made pumping much more convenient. The ability to change the speed on the pump was also nice. It always ran perfectly. I liked the high quality, but it was big and heavy. I would have liked it even more if it were a little more compact.

Original review: July 31, 2017

The Medela breast pump was easy to use, to set and to clean. It was very efficient and I could get through a pumping session from start to finish in about 20 minutes. And I could pump both breast sides at the same time. It was not too loud too. It was also small enough that I could easily transport it if I was going to be pumping away from home. The cost was a bit high though, higher than other brands I looked at, but my doctor recommended this brand.

Original review: July 29, 2017

Wife liked the simplicity including the controls of Medela Breast Pump and the fact that it was covered by insurance. The parts seemed made out of good quality and didn't require extensive cleaning. It was very easy also to take down the simple parts and setup throughout the day. In addition, the power is easy and even washing the cups plus it was straightforward too. However, the controls are simple but not very adaptable. It would be nicer if the pumping action was more adjustable, for instance longer, gentler strokes or easing into the pump action. Also, a quieter operation would make the use less disruptive to normal life. Lastly, if it came with hands-free cup supports.

Original review: July 28, 2017

Medela was affordable and I was able to easily make it a part of my budget. It was an easy to use design and I liked it more than one I had owned previously. I like the hand pump so much and that’s the one I purchased as I wasn't using it more than 1/2 times a day. I had owned one previously and wasn't going to purchase a new one for my son who was born 4 yrs after my daughter. But the pieces weren't interchangeable so that was disappointing. But I purchased the similar hand pump mocks as I was very pleased with my previous one. I also had a few problems with the tiny rubber/plastic flap piece to ensure it was completely clean. But it was only one time issue and would definitely recommend to others.

Original review: July 26, 2017

I liked that the Medela breast pump I used was automated or electric, and that it was all in one piece. I liked the color and the bottles that it came with also. But the breast pump should be made to be less big and bulky and easier to use. The process of setting up the breast pump was somewhat difficult too. There were several plug-ins and tubes that needed to be plugged into different places, and then there's the issue of cleaning all the parts.

Original review: July 23, 2017

Medela was recommended by several of my friends and I read great reviews from various websites about it. Models had easy instructions and was nice and comfortable. It made pumping less stressful since it was easy to use. It was very easy to clean too. I would have liked that there be more options that were affordable though. I know there are different options but overall it was expensive. Having my first child, it was a lot to spend on something that I was uncertain would work. But the efficiency of this breast pump was excellent.

Original review: July 22, 2017

I liked the ease of use of Medela Breast Pump. Just plug it in and I can easily adjust the strength while using it so I can start off on a lower number but then increase as necessary and I like how easily the parts come off to be cleaned after every use. Also, it is so small which makes it easily portable. I was happy and comfortable using it throughout - although I don't use it on a daily basis - so could be that is why I'm not so picky.

Original review: July 21, 2017

It was very easy to use the Medela Breast pump. The tubes that are connected from the cups to the machine were easy to put together. After use, a simple wash cleaned the products. The pump was efficient in drawing out the milk and filling the bottles too and I love the hands free pump feature which allowed me to pump while doing other tasks and the settings of the breast pump allowing me to turn the machine on high when my breasts were very full and heavy, or low when my breasts were tender and low on milk. Each of the features worked good for me while I was breastfeeding and my experience with the Medela breast pump was enjoyable.

Original review: July 20, 2017

The MEDELA BREAST PUMP was fast and worked quickly. I am a working mother so I need to be able to get my pumping in fast. I do like the storage areas because I could hold all the parts and filled bags of milk to keep them cool until I got home from work. The setup was easy too. I would just attach the tubes and hang the milk bags. But it was very hard to use the breast pump and do other things. Sometimes the tubes would not work too and I would have to replace a tube. The tubes would be better if they were a bit longer. The seals sometimes had to be replaced as well. And this breast pump should be more portable so it could be taken to more places. It was somewhat easy to clean it but there are some nooks in the pump handles that were hard to get clean without a small steel brush.

Original review: July 17, 2017

Medela Breast Pump is a good brand and efficient with a small sleek design. It is convenient and on the go pumping, hands free bra, good quality product and always able to produce a lot of milk with the machine. I also like that the parts can be interchanged and the battery lasts a while plus tubing is durable. The steam bags make cleaning quick and sanitary too. I generally really like this pump but would like to see the Freestyle more suction, including freestyle with insurance. Also, higher suction and extra pair of pumpkins parts, including a car charger.

Original review: July 16, 2017

Medela Breast Pump was a great product. I am not very savvy on any gadget of any kind and this was great. It was easy to use, extremely comfortable, and nice design. The colors were gender neutral. The breast pump was easy to assemble and clean. I loved how affordable it was and how efficient it made breast pumping. I received it as a gift and I recommend it to any moms who pump.

Original review: May 31, 2015

I purchased some Medela breastpump parts for my niece who just gave birth. Here was the long line of poor service I had received from Medela: 1.) Medela site would not allow me to purchase 3 of one item. Only up to 2 was allowed in the quantity check box, 2.) Called Medela and asked why. Was told that's the way it is, 3.) Complained to Medela online and asked for help. No response. So I had to make 2 separate purchases and pay extra S&H, 4.) On the 5th day, after I made the purchases, Medela responded. Was told I could have ordered 3 in one purchase by calling -- get this -- the same phone # I called before,

5.) When I further complained for everything above, Medela responded: "...The Medela website does have quantity limitations. We can certainly understand your frustration, and we apologize for any inconvenience this website feature has caused. We have a formal document that is submitted for each complaint and product. Be assured that I have submitted this document addressing each concern, product or service complaint." In the end, nothing has changed in how Medela sells their products online. All in all, the kind of customer service I have received from Medela is: all garbage. So forget about complaining to M if you experience the same problems with M.

Medela Breast Pumps expert review by Sandra Gordon

Founded in 1961 in Switzerland, Medela is a healthcare supply company specializing in products that use vacuum technology, including hospital supplies and breast pumps. Medela is most widely recognized as a maker of hospital-grade, double-electric breast pumps. Medela’s products are available in over 90 countries around the world and have been sold in the United States for almost 30 years.

• Product selection: Medela offers several pumps to suit your needs. The Symphony and Symphony Plus pumps are hospital-grade, multi-user pumps with 2-Phase Expression. The Sonata, Freestyle and Pump in Style Advanced pumps offer double-expression and a hospital-grade motor in a single-user pump. The Swing pump is a lightweight, single-expression pump and the Harmony manual pump is great for travel.

• Smart pump: The Medela Sonata is one of the first “smart pumps” on the market. It connects to the MyMedela app to track your pumping sessions, baby growth and lactation information.

• Insurance coverage: Many of Medela’s electric pumps are covered by insurance companies. You can enter your state and the name of your insurance plan on Medela’s website to see if your plan covers Medela brand pumps.

• Storage products: The company sells a wide range of storage products in addition to pumps, to help mothers keep milk fresh in storage or on the go. These include breast milk bottles and storage bags as well as cooling packs for storing milk away from home.

• Purchasing options: Medela’s pumps are all available for purchase, and many are also covered by insurance. Additionally, Medela’s hospital-grade, multi-user pumps are available to rent, directly through the company as well as through many hospital NICU departments.

• Best for: frequent and occasional pumpers.

Profile picture of Sandra Gordon
Sandra Gordon

Parenting Products Contributing Editor

Specializing in health and medicine, Sandra Gordon has written extensively about cord blood banking for national and regional parenting magazines. She also has written about baby products, including breast pumps, for national and regional parenting magazines, blogs and books. Her work has appeared in hundreds of publications, including Parents, Prevention, Woman’s Day and Self. Gordon also appears on TV as a baby safety and money-saving expert. She is also the author of 10 books and the founder of babyproductsmom.com, a site dedicated to helping new parents gear up safely and within their budget.

Medela Breast Pumps Company Information