3.52/5

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Medela Breast Pumps

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Medela Breast Pumps Reviews

Original review: July 23, 2019

I did extensive reviews about breast pumps before purchasing one through insurance. It is a medical device and is needed for any mom wanting to breastfeed and work. I started using my pump after I went back to work at 12 weeks. My pump worked fairly well until around 7-8 months of use. I used it 3-4 times a day based on when I was at work. It started shorting out, stopping altogether and starting the letdown phase again etc. It seemed like it was a connection issue at the pump itself. I tried to keep using it until my son was 14 months old (11 months of use) but the suction was weaker and it wasn’t pulling off all of my milk. I called Medela and they didn’t want to hear my complaints, said they’d never heard of this before and that I could send my pump back for testing but no replacement would be given.

I had to rent a pump from the hospital for another month since my son wasn’t completely weaned yet and I travel for work. I sent the pump back, and their response was they couldn’t duplicate the problem??? Really? Then why was the pump shorting out and not suctioning more? They don’t want to deal with complaints, this is a product type that nursing mom’s need and they take full advantage of it. I will definitely not be suggesting their brand nor will I be getting another one. It’s not worth having engorged breasts and not pumping enough milk for my little one. Absolutely absurd and completely dangerous for a nursing mother to risk mastitis or drying up.

Original review: June 19, 2019

I bought this pump a little while ago for a big price tag and I expected to last more than a few months. I'm an exclusive pumper so my breast pump is extremely important that's why I didn't mind spending over 200 dollars for it. Well a few months in and my pump has stopped working. It keeps cutting in and out. Shutting off, turning on, shutting off. I have replaced everything even the wall plug and still the same thing. I'm extremely upset as we all know how important this piece of equipment is to us. I contacted customer service 3 days ago and still no word. Really? If you are in the business of helping moms feed their child and your product is faulty you need to get back to customer right away as so much depends on your product especially a product that cost a lot of money. Very disappointed. I will never buy this product again.

Get expert buying tips about Breast Pump delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I received this pump via insurance when my little one was born. 3 months in during a pump session the motor suddenly skips to the max setting causing injury and swelling that lasted for days. This happened on a holiday with a weekend immediately following so naturally customer service was closed. When I did finally reach someone, they arranged for a replacement pump but did not offer to reimburse me the cost to acquire a temporary one and they refused to pay any medical bills (I asked them to cover my $20 copay associated with a doctors visit) related to the pump injury. The comment to me by the rep was they will only replace the actual unit under warranty.

I was incredibly disappointed in this level of customer service and would strongly discourage anyone from this brand. When you have a product that is junk and poor customer service behind it, it’s a recipe for disaster. I had even asked for a different kind of pump as this one never fit my needs well to begin with. The rep said it was not possible. It would seem Medela would rather deal with personal injury lawsuits than pony up a few dollars in copay costs when their pumps injure people.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

This product is a nightmare for a person who pumps regularly. My husband will be able to feed and put the baby to sleep before I am successfully pumping. The suction is poor and I spend so much time, up there to 20 minutes sometimes drying and faffing with the suction parts that attach to the bottles. This is the worst after bottles have been washed and sterilized. If I had known this I Would not have bought this product. I am terribly disappointed as the pump is expensive and advertised as the best pump for someone who pumps regular and is always on the go.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

This is regarding my experience with Medela mini electric pump. I have bought the mini electric pump twice in the last 8 months (both from Amazon). After the first purchase within 6 months the motor stopped working. Gave for service but the motor still gave me problems. So I bought another one about 2 months back. The second pump also in no time started showing problems. Now I have 2 pumps but both not working. I requested them to refund my money or replace these two pumps with a different Medela product but they refused and I haven't received a call or mail from them after. Worst service ever.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medela Breast Pumps?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

My Medela breast pump is easy to use and clean. I can adjust the level of pumping to pump quicker but can stop it if it starts to hurt. You attach one or both of the hoses and then put together the flange part of the pump. Attach that to a bottle and put the hose in the back of the flange. Turn the pump on and it starts the stimulation phase. If you have a let down before the stimulation phase is over you press the button and then adjust the level of pumping until just before it hurts. When you're done pumping you undo the hose and let it pump for a few seconds and then turn the pump off. My Medela breast pump easily takes milk from my breasts unlike manual pumps, which I do not respond to.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

The pump is very easy to set up and use. It is a little uncomfortable at first but once it gets going, it's fine. The pump is easy to wash, just use soap and water. I feel the double pump is very efficient and it made pumping much more convenient. The ability to change the speed on the pump was also nice. It always ran perfectly. I liked the high quality, but it was big and heavy. I would have liked it even more if it were a little more compact.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

I used the Medela electric pump a long time ago and it was a good design. Setup was fast and it worked well. It was efficient and didn't take long to pump milk. It was easy to use as well as easy to clean. It had its own carrier bag, which was convenient and I found it helpful for carrying the breast pump supplies. I would've packed batteries for when I could not find an electrical outlet. The Medela breast pump was expensive and lasted a long time. The accessories were also expensive as well as the storage bags for the breast milk.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

It’s a strong pump, glad I rented it. I used it for both my daughters. It was a machine with guts. I love how fast it would pump the milk out. It's easy to clean too. Only one breast at a time could be done, and it is a little painful because it pumps so hard. It was also very big to carry around and had to be plugged in to be used and didn't have a charger in it. I could only use at so many places.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

It was quiet and easy to take with me to pump on go. I could pump anywhere with a outlet plus bag was cute, friendly customer service and easy to use instructions. However, it wasn’t hand free and it had to be plugged in, no battery options so if I take it had to have outlet. And it was hard to clean and my insurance didn’t cover the many options to make it easier so I paid out of pocket, plus delivery time was slow. My trouble was I didn’t produce enough milk and was hard to get baby out of my arms long enough to pump so setting everything up to pump sucked.

Medela Breast Pumps expert review by Sandra Gordon

Founded in 1961 in Switzerland, Medela is a healthcare supply company specializing in products that use vacuum technology, including hospital supplies and breast pumps. Medela is most widely recognized as a maker of hospital-grade, double-electric breast pumps. Medela’s products are available in over 90 countries around the world and have been sold in the United States for almost 30 years.

• Product selection: Medela offers several pumps to suit your needs. The Symphony and Symphony Plus pumps are hospital-grade, multi-user pumps with 2-Phase Expression. The Sonata, Freestyle and Pump in Style Advanced pumps offer double-expression and a hospital-grade motor in a single-user pump. The Swing pump is a lightweight, single-expression pump and the Harmony manual pump is great for travel.

• Smart pump: The Medela Sonata is one of the first “smart pumps” on the market. It connects to the MyMedela app to track your pumping sessions, baby growth and lactation information.

• Insurance coverage: Many of Medela’s electric pumps are covered by insurance companies. You can enter your state and the name of your insurance plan on Medela’s website to see if your plan covers Medela brand pumps.

• Storage products: The company sells a wide range of storage products in addition to pumps, to help mothers keep milk fresh in storage or on the go. These include breast milk bottles and storage bags as well as cooling packs for storing milk away from home.

• Purchasing options: Medela’s pumps are all available for purchase, and many are also covered by insurance. Additionally, Medela’s hospital-grade, multi-user pumps are available to rent, directly through the company as well as through many hospital NICU departments.

• Best for: frequent and occasional pumpers.

Profile picture of Sandra Gordon
      Sandra Gordon Parenting Products Contributing Editor

Specializing in health and medicine, Sandra Gordon has written extensively about cord blood banking for national and regional parenting magazines. She also has written about baby products, including breast pumps, for national and regional parenting magazines, blogs and books. Her work has appeared in hundreds of publications, including Parents, Prevention, Woman’s Day and Self. Gordon also appears on TV as a baby safety and money-saving expert. She is also the author of 10 books and the founder of babyproductsmom.com, a site dedicated to helping new parents gear up safely and within their budget.

Medela Breast Pumps Company Information