3.51/5
Based on 37 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

37 Hygeia Breast Pumps Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Made a call, after receiving several emails requesting a photo of the front and back of my insurance card. Which I provided upon request, several times. Today received a final notice email, although I had done my part. I was connected to a combative male representative named Sammie. He refused to call my insurance, take their number or the name of the representative that I deal with personally. He also told me I had not sent in my insurance information and was unable to help. Frustrated, because I'm looking at my successfully sent emails containing the requested attachments and asked he call my insurance and he refused and continued to be combative.

I asked to be transferred to a woman, because I am 27 weeks pregnant and do not wish to be unnecessarily stressed - exactly what he was doing. He laughed and said ok then the line went silent for several minutes. I hung up and reached a young lady named Melissa who listen to me and agreed to call my insurance and said she would even call me later today. Sammie should not be in customer service. He is not helpful and preferred to be rude and brush me off. My doctor recommended this company to me. I am highly unsatisfied.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I used the cordless Hygeia Enjoye with my son and it was an absolute life saver. Not only was I able to get more milk than with the Medela pump that I first tried, it was also cordless which made it possible for me to continue with my to-do-list while pumping. If I wouldn’t have found the Enjoye, I don’t know that I would have continued pumping for as long as I did.

Get expert buying tips about Breast Pump delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

My doctor ordered this pump for me and I like it a lot. It shipped right to my door and I had it before I had my baby. I used it to help with engorgement issues I was having, and will be using it when I go back to work. It is strong and so light, I love it!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I got this pump through my insurance with my daughter two years ago and just got another one with my son. I love that the company recycled my other pump when I finished with it. I pumped for 16 months with my daughter and loved the extra pump parts I got every few months since I was constantly washing parts every day. The pump was easy, quiet and comfortable! I clearly liked it since I am using the same pump again with my son!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I received this pump through my insurance and didn’t know how good I had it! It wasn’t until I was given a Medela from a friend (so I could keep one at home and one at work) that I realized how good it was. 1) WIRELESS | Game changer! And the battery life is impressive. I pumped at least 3 times a day and rarely ever charged it. 2) GREAT SUCTION | finding the right size flanges and which suction thingy works for you is key. The suction was GREAT esp against the Medela (that was not wireless). I even tried a hospital grade pump (like rented it from the hospital) and the Hygeia had the same level of suction. Medela flanges work with it and the noise level is not silent but it’s not a deal breaker considering the other pros. I didn’t find it terribly cumbersome - I lugged it back and forth to work every day and lived to tell about it! I’m pregnant again and I’m excited to get another enjoy so I can keep one at work and one at home!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hygeia Breast Pumps?

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

The Hygeia cordless breast pump is a great product! As I first time mom I was a little intimidated by breast pumps but this one made it easy. The parts attach easily and it’s an absolute breeze to clean. Love that you get 2 different suction options so you can see what works best for you. I found it to make the process much less daunting than I expected it to be. Oh and it’s cordless and well you may think that’s not that big of a deal but let me tell you it is!!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Great pump for a working mom or someone on the go. I used this pump a lot in the car or traveling, super easy to charge then pack and go! Overall had a great experience with my Hygeia pump, would highly recommend!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

My wife uses the Hygeia and loves it. She used the Medela in the past and it was super loud, didn’t have a filter and took her a lot longer time to pump. The Hygeia is faster, more efficient, quieter and more hygienic. Plus, she can use the Hygeia anywhere since she doesn’t have to be plugged into an outlet. It’s worked out well for us when we travel. Good product for new moms.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I was very pleased with the customer service Victoria gave. She listened to my concern and was very helpful troubleshooting my difficulty. She was helpful answering questions and being supportive of my journey breastfeeding. I appreciated the quick response of sending new parts out overnight without even requesting. Overall great customer service and I am pleased with how my pump is now working.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I put in an application for an insurance covered breast pump page and I wasn’t sure it worked but about a month later this pump showed up at my mother in law's house and not know what it was. The box was opened. Well when I tried to return it after reading all the bad reviews I was told I wouldn’t be able to so now I’m stuck with this oversized super loud pump I don’t like.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

My doctor's office ordered this pump for me, and I could not believe how quickly it arrived! I tried setting it up but the suction was really bad, so I called the number on the box. I spoke to someone in customer service who talked me through the setup. It turns out I had not put the pump together the right way (oops!), and now it is working great! I've really got the hang of it now, and I'll be ready to go back to work when I need to next month. I'm so glad I got this pump. It is so nice and the people at Hygeia were so nice when they helped me!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

So to start off my OB doctor put in an order for a Hygeia pump without my approval when I had already had ordered my Medela through my insurance company. Well yeah - I got it a few days after the order was placed, I was shocked how quick. I called customer service for Hygeia explaining what had happened and was told that as long as the box was not opened I could send it back which I did. Well a month or so later I got a bill from my insurance being billed for the pump which I returned! Because being a mother is hard enough not to mention a mother of three I found emailing Hygeia would be easier rather than having screaming kids in the background while trying to explain my situation, I NEVER got a reply back! I emailed them three more times and two months later I'm still waiting to hear back from them! I guess they are gonna have to deal with me and my screaming kids because I plan to call them and wait on the phone until this issue is resolved!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I used a different brand pump for my first baby and it was not efficient. When I had my second baby I decided to try a Hygeia and it worked great! For the third baby I decided to try another Hygeia and worked with my insurance company thru the distributor they used and was having a difficult getting the Hygeia pump so I contacted Hygeia direct and got nothing but the best customer service. I even got a call from the supervisor who worked directly with me and the company my insurance works with to get the claim completed and pump sent to me.

The team went above and beyond to get me the pump and on top of that the pump is a very high quality pump. It allows you to change suction and speed and comes with a tote bag and every accessory you need. I only recommend the Hygeia pump to others and let them know they will also get top notch customer service from their team! I love the great quality of Hygeia pump but what makes them even better is the fabulous customer service they have as well. You can’t go wrong!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I went on this website to order a pump and I got the pump shipped to me just a few days later! And what's better, the pump is cordless and came with a pretty nice tote! For my last baby, I had the Medela, which was fine. But with the Hygeia I can adjust the controls so I get more milk, faster. I also used my pump on an airplane, which I couldn't do if it wasn't cordless. I highly recommend this pump, it works great!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I have Enjoyed electric breast pump. The suction is not strong enough, doesn't create a good seal and keeps pouring milk back. Just a waste of time and milk. My insurance covered it but I did not like it at all.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I went online just to verify what I qualified for... next thing you know I have an approved order email yet have no idea what I was approved for. Don’t ignore the other negative comments. Go to Areoflow!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

This is a breast pump and it does just that. It simply pumps milk. However, I can compare it to the Medela pump and have to say the Medela was farrr better. I was able to get more milk when I used the Medela probably because the shield fit me better (Hygeia doesn't have more than 2 sizes) and because the Medela has an automated cycle that mimics a baby's natural nursing tendencies (slower, faster, etc). The Hygeia is also super loud and doesn't sell all of the parts to easily pump away from home, which is where I'm pumping 90% of the time. I didn't realize that when I bought it. They do sell a small insulated zipper pouch to store milk you've pumped (bottles not included), an ice pack for the pouch, and a bag that doesn't close for you to dump everything in.

I personally won't use that open bag when I'm bringing my pump to work because it doesn't stand up straight and seems like things can easily fall out of it. It's just very cheap. The pump also hurts my nipples when pumping. I thought that was normal until I used the Medela and with that pump I realized that I could use max suction and it still wouldn't hurt. Amazing. I would definitely recommend spending the money to get a different pump. The funny thing is that I don't think Hygeia is even the cheapest pump out there even though it feels cheap when I use it.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I have had this pump for about a year now, but did not start using it until about 6 months ago when my daughter was born... received it through my Dr's office, was not given any choice on a pump, I would have never chose this brand. First off the pump is so loud you can't concentrate on anything else. The pump since day one has never been strong enough to pump both breasts at once. They only have size medium or large breast shields. If your nipple aren't on the larger side they will not work. It makes it to where there is not tight seal causing the milk to come back out of the top of the shield... for me I don't pump much as is, this causes more waste than anything else.

Now, after using this pump for 6 months I have started to leave reviews around as a warning to other mothers. We are lucky enough insurance covers pumps, but this pump will have you coming out of pocket for another. As I have begun to leave these reviews the company that fulfilled the order (a breast pump and more) conveniently has begun to call me.

After ALMOST a year they tell me they sent me two and insurance only covers one and I need to return the other or I will be held responsible. First off, I walked out of my Dr. office with mine, 2nd off I never got two... 3rd why would I ever want 2 when the first doesn't even work well? 4th I didn't even know the company this order was placed through until they started calling me... 5th why has it taken almost a year to call me? 6th why would you send two without verifying through insurance it would be covered and verifying my address as I have moved? 7th the lady on the phone couldn't even tell me the day that the 2nd pump was sent or why they are just now calling after almost a YEAR!!!

Then she proceeded to tell me that every so often they send out new parts for the machines, etc. and this is why they noticed I "received two." OK and who asked for a replacement? It certainly was not me? Now I am going to have to contact my insurance to ensure this place is not charging for items that I have never even requested or even asked for... this place is seriously up to no good!!! insurance fraud... I think so.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I am thoroughly pleased with this company. Here's why: Enjoye Pump: This double electric pump was covered by my insurance company. I love the flexibility to adjust speed and strength settings, and to single or double pump. The best part is that because it is a closed system, I can use it again with future children. It's a little on the noisy side, but totally worth it.

Bottles: The bottles with the orange ink are easy to read and the measurements are accurate. They're easy to clean and the lids don't leak! Some of the newer two-part lids don't snap together as well as the old ones, but they still seal tight when screwed on the bottles. It's also nice that these bottles are compatible with my Lansinoh hand pump. Customer Service: This company's customer service is truly exceptional. They answer emails quickly, they provide thorough information and clarification, and they're willing to work with you through an issue you may have. I couldn't be more thrilled that I selected this company for my pumping needs!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Once I had my second son I was thrilled to know I could get a free breast pump covered through my insurance! The reviews online were great so I decided to try the Hygeia Enjoye pump. It came fast and I used it every day for 6 months! In my opinion it was stronger than my previous pump, Medela pump in style and I got a cordless pump with no extra cost! Highly recommend this pump!

Original review: July 28, 2017

This is not a review based on the pump's quality, rather it highlights the exceptional customer service I received throughout my experience. I mean, the best care. With deep regret, I had to send my Hygeia pump back because I submitted two requests for breast pumps. Blame post-partum paranoia and memory. After battling over 10 hours with my insurance and billing companies desperately searching for a business that would provide me with a pump fully covered by my insurance, I searched for pumps online and came across Hygeia's website. It all seemed too easy, but I completed my information and submitted my request. Because I was terribly worried about this request not coming through, I spent another 5 hours on the phone with my insurance company trying to find a place that would provide me a pump covered by my insurance. I finally found a company, so I submitted my request there, too.

Much to my surprise, Hygeia did all of the dirty work in getting the pump approved! I couldn't believe it. I really wish I'd put more faith in the website! It was shipped in just a few days. (And, additional parts were shipped a few weeks later to make my pumping experience more comfortable... without a single request from me.) And, so too was my other pump. Being a mother of 3 children, one of them a newborn (and that I was on maternity leave), I put the pumps in another room of the house, thinking I'd research which one was best during the upcoming days and then send the other back. Well, of course I got distracted, and now I go back to work in 2 weeks. So, just today I realized it was crunch time courtesy of my calendar and a bill from my insurance for the Hygeia pump. Grr.

Feeling overwhelmed, I called Hygeia and was comforted immediately. The woman explained that I could likely return the pump, but that I should check with the other company regarding their return policy. I really wanted to keep the Hygeia pump, but the other company said I'd run out of time in the grace period so I could not return their pump. So, I called Hygeia's customer service, and I spoke to Cassandra. Wouldn't you know that my newborn decided to wake up and scream while beginning my story. Casandra said over and over, 'I'll wait. Please don't worry about the baby." How considerate of a mother's position!

I shared what happened, and she calmly explained that I could return the pump and that Hygeia would provide my insurance company with the return. I can't begin to explain just how wonderful it felt to be treated so kindly. I can't say the same about the other company that I dealt with. I can't believe the ease at which I ordered my pump. The website is easy to navigate, and the shipping was fast. My driving point: Don't waste your time dealing with the insurance company! Hygeia will do all of that for you! Customer service goes a long way, and it seems absent all too often these days.

Original review: July 18, 2017

I had a Medela pump with my first child and was annoyed at the lame "hands free" option which required a battery powered device (like 8 batteries at once which quickly ran out of juice). My Hygeia pump is AWESOME. I pump all the time on car rides with a hands free bra and it saves me significant time! I had an issue with the pump not working well, called and received a replacement within a couple of days!

After that, I was in San Diego for a conference, had one part of the pump break (my fault) and I'm still incredulous of the fact that an angel named Cassandra literally DROVE over an hour and dropped it off for me at no charge (I tipped her of course)!!! She drove from the Hygeia headquarters to downtown San Diego in rush hour on a Friday, all coordinated by her AMAZING and supportive manager Brett. Again, I have never experienced customer service like this. To Brett, Cassandra and the whole Hygeia team, THANK YOU THANK YOU for your kindness, commitment and compassion for us pumping moms who are just trying to make it another day without falling apart!

Original review: July 13, 2017

I was looking at getting a breast pump through my insurance and this was one of them I could get. In order to check it out I had to put in my information and once I did I changed my mind. Well little did I know that they charged my insurance company for it. Plus they have sent me 3 replacements while sending those claims to my insurance!! I never ordered them!! So upsetting!! Stay far away from this company!!!

Original review: June 19, 2017

I filled out the form online that said "see if you qualify". It said I did, but as I read the reviews of the pump further I decided I wasn't interested and never ordered the pump. As usual when you don't complete an order online, I kept getting emails saying "order the pump", but I decided to order brand another instead. Nevertheless about a month later I get a Hygenia in the mail saying the billed my insurance! I was totally confused. They never had my consent! How could they say I "ordered it" and bill my insurance?! I googled it and see this has happened to lots of other people. This is insurance fraud and I am shocked this comphygenia any hasn't been investigate.

Original review: April 27, 2017

While I was comparison shopping for pumps, I looked at the Hygeia breast pump, at their website: https://www.hygeiahealth.com/. The website is set up so that in order to get any information about the costs of pumps through insurance coverage, one must click a See if you Qualify tab, and enter a lot of information, including insurance. I clicked the See if you qualify tab, and went through their prompts to see what pumps they offer would be covered by my insurance. I never choose or ordered a pump. Nonetheless, they mailed me a pump, and billed my insurance. I don't want their pump. And they billed my insurance for a replacement breastpump tube, which I also never ordered. This meant my insurance rejected the claim for the pump that I actually ordered, because the benefit had been used up by Hygeia.

I contacted them, and they were deliberately uncooperative about returning it, and notifying my insurance of the mistake. They insisted that somewhere along the line, while I was following the see if you qualify prompts, I clicked a box that gave them permission to process an order if they found I did qualify. That certainly was not my intent, and I'm a pretty careful consumer. They insist I have to pay the return shipping, and a $75 shopping fee. They were rude, and unconciliatory. The whole thing left me with the strong impression that this is a deliberate way in which they make sales: luring women to see if they qualify, hiding an order authorization box among many prompts, and making it a huge pain to return. Stay away unless you want to risk them sucking up your pump benefit for something you didn't order on purpose.

Original review: April 25, 2017

We got this for my wife and it has sucked (or not sucked haha) almost from the start. This company claims to have a hospital grade product. It is not even close. The pump broke after about a week and check how much they charged your insurance if you want a big shock. You are stuck with it and its junky accessories and there is no hope of returning it through their hassle laden customer service. Save the time and trouble and rent a real hospital grade pump like a Medela. Stay away from this garbage product.

Original review: April 11, 2017

I advise staying away from this pump and this company! The pump is way too bulky and doesn't work properly! When I contacted Hygeia about it, they didn't really care. They said that I marked a box when filling out the order form that I couldn't return it unless I paid $75.00! That must be some extremely fine print they have on that website of theirs! Thanks Hygeia! For nothing.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2017

Purchased a Hygeia EnJoye LBI Professional Grade Breast Pump and it broke within a week after I used it. Manufacturer would not stand by their product and refused to fix my pump. Very dishonest company.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2016

It works very well, helped to relieve a lot of pain and pressure on my breasts I was having. It was very easy to use. Good quality as well. Very durable. I was even able to put parts in the dishwasher without damaging them. I've even dropped it on the floor a few times. Did not crack or break at all. It was not very expensive. It lasted me for as long as I needed it. I did not have to replace it. Very comfortable, just the right size. With just the right amount of suction, which I could adjust. Did not make me feel uncomfortable or sore at all. Actually using it, was a relief for me.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2016

The effective of using this product was amazing. I had great use of using this item. I couldn't ask for a better product. It was great, thanks. The durability was great. It didn't break at all. I seriously would use it again if I had to. The value was great. Never thought I'd use something like this. And I would recommend it to anyone that needed a breast pump. The pump was sort of uncomfortable. But the use of it was good. I had no problem with the use or the product itself. The comfort level could be better though.

Hygeia Breast Pumps expert review by Sandra Gordon

Hygeia is a breast pump company that features hospital-grade electric breast pumps for personal and multi-person use. Hygeia is the only breast pump company to be endorsed by La Leche League International, a breast-feeding advocacy group, and supported by the World Health Organization.

• Pump selection: Hygeia offers a single-user, double electric pump called the Hygeia Q; a double-electric, multi-user pump called the Hygeia Enjoye; a cordless Enjoye model; and two options for manual pumping including a one-handed and two-handed pump.

• Accessories and parts: You can purchase BPA-free parts and accessories for your pump, including nursing pads, valves, power cords, tubing, car chargers, filters, milk storage bags and more.

• Insurance coverage: Hygeia works with mothers to help them receive a hospital grade pump through the Affordable Care Act. You can use their website’s handy tool to find out if your plan is one of many that will cover the Hygeia Enjoye pump. Many insurance plans will also cover bottles, tubing and filters for the pump.

• Endorsements: A Hygeia pump comes with a La Leche League International membership that provides mother-to-mother support. The company is the only breast pump company to be endorsed by La Leche League International. Additionally, the Hygeia Enjoye hospital-grade double-electric pump has received the Pump of the Year award for five years in a row.

• Customer support: In addition to its own customer service and helpful website, Hygeia provides referrals to local lactation consultants to provide one-on-one advice and troubleshooting for both pumping and breast-feeding.

• Best for: frequent pumpers and those who have trouble feeding.

Profile picture of Sandra Gordon
Sandra Gordon Parenting Products Contributing Editor

Specializing in health and medicine, Sandra Gordon has written extensively about cord blood banking for national and regional parenting magazines. She also has written about baby products, including breast pumps, for national and regional parenting magazines, blogs and books. Her work has appeared in hundreds of publications, including Parents, Prevention, Woman’s Day and Self. Gordon also appears on TV as a baby safety and money-saving expert. She is also the author of 10 books and the founder of babyproductsmom.com, a site dedicated to helping new parents gear up safely and within their budget.

Hygeia Breast Pumps Company Information

1375 S. Acacia Avenue
Fullerton
hygeiainc.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.