3.47/5
  • 1 star
Based on 19 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Sept. 21, 2017

19 Hygeia Breast Pumps Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I am thoroughly pleased with this company. Here's why: Enjoye Pump: This double electric pump was covered by my insurance company. I love the flexibility to adjust speed and strength settings, and to single or double pump. The best part is that because it is a closed system, I can use it again with future children. It's a little on the noisy side, but totally worth it.

Bottles: The bottles with the orange ink are easy to read and the measurements are accurate. They're easy to clean and the lids don't leak! Some of the newer two-part lids don't snap together as well as the old ones, but they still seal tight when screwed on the bottles. It's also nice that these bottles are compatible with my Lansinoh hand pump. Customer Service: This company's customer service is truly exceptional. They answer emails quickly, they provide thorough information and clarification, and they're willing to work with you through an issue you may have. I couldn't be more thrilled that I selected this company for my pumping needs!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Once I had my second son I was thrilled to know I could get a free breast pump covered through my insurance! The reviews online were great so I decided to try the Hygeia Enjoye pump. It came fast and I used it every day for 6 months! In my opinion it was stronger than my previous pump, Medela pump in style and I got a cordless pump with no extra cost! Highly recommend this pump!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 28, 2017

This is not a review based on the pump's quality, rather it highlights the exceptional customer service I received throughout my experience. I mean, the best care. With deep regret, I had to send my Hygeia pump back because I submitted two requests for breast pumps. Blame post-partum paranoia and memory. After battling over 10 hours with my insurance and billing companies desperately searching for a business that would provide me with a pump fully covered by my insurance, I searched for pumps online and came across Hygeia's website. It all seemed too easy, but I completed my information and submitted my request. Because I was terribly worried about this request not coming through, I spent another 5 hours on the phone with my insurance company trying to find a place that would provide me a pump covered by my insurance. I finally found a company, so I submitted my request there, too.

Much to my surprise, Hygeia did all of the dirty work in getting the pump approved! I couldn't believe it. I really wish I'd put more faith in the website! It was shipped in just a few days. (And, additional parts were shipped a few weeks later to make my pumping experience more comfortable... without a single request from me.) And, so too was my other pump. Being a mother of 3 children, one of them a newborn (and that I was on maternity leave), I put the pumps in another room of the house, thinking I'd research which one was best during the upcoming days and then send the other back. Well, of course I got distracted, and now I go back to work in 2 weeks. So, just today I realized it was crunch time courtesy of my calendar and a bill from my insurance for the Hygeia pump. Grr.

Feeling overwhelmed, I called Hygeia and was comforted immediately. The woman explained that I could likely return the pump, but that I should check with the other company regarding their return policy. I really wanted to keep the Hygeia pump, but the other company said I'd run out of time in the grace period so I could not return their pump. So, I called Hygeia's customer service, and I spoke to Cassandra. Wouldn't you know that my newborn decided to wake up and scream while beginning my story. Casandra said over and over, 'I'll wait. Please don't worry about the baby." How considerate of a mother's position!

I shared what happened, and she calmly explained that I could return the pump and that Hygeia would provide my insurance company with the return. I can't begin to explain just how wonderful it felt to be treated so kindly. I can't say the same about the other company that I dealt with. I can't believe the ease at which I ordered my pump. The website is easy to navigate, and the shipping was fast. My driving point: Don't waste your time dealing with the insurance company! Hygeia will do all of that for you! Customer service goes a long way, and it seems absent all too often these days.

Original review: July 18, 2017

I had a Medela pump with my first child and was annoyed at the lame "hands free" option which required a battery powered device (like 8 batteries at once which quickly ran out of juice). My Hygeia pump is AWESOME. I pump all the time on car rides with a hands free bra and it saves me significant time! I had an issue with the pump not working well, called and received a replacement within a couple of days!

After that, I was in San Diego for a conference, had one part of the pump break (my fault) and I'm still incredulous of the fact that an angel named Cassandra literally DROVE over an hour and dropped it off for me at no charge (I tipped her of course)!!! She drove from the Hygeia headquarters to downtown San Diego in rush hour on a Friday, all coordinated by her AMAZING and supportive manager Brett. Again, I have never experienced customer service like this. To Brett, Cassandra and the whole Hygeia team, THANK YOU THANK YOU for your kindness, commitment and compassion for us pumping moms who are just trying to make it another day without falling apart!

Original review: July 13, 2017

I was looking at getting a breast pump through my insurance and this was one of them I could get. In order to check it out I had to put in my information and once I did I changed my mind. Well little did I know that they charged my insurance company for it. Plus they have sent me 3 replacements while sending those claims to my insurance!! I never ordered them!! So upsetting!! Stay far away from this company!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hygeia Breast Pumps?

Original review: June 19, 2017

I filled out the form online that said "see if you qualify". It said I did, but as I read the reviews of the pump further I decided I wasn't interested and never ordered the pump. As usual when you don't complete an order online, I kept getting emails saying "order the pump", but I decided to order brand another instead. Nevertheless about a month later I get a Hygenia in the mail saying the billed my insurance! I was totally confused. They never had my consent! How could they say I "ordered it" and bill my insurance?! I googled it and see this has happened to lots of other people. This is insurance fraud and I am shocked this comphygenia any hasn't been investigate.

Original review: April 27, 2017

While I was comparison shopping for pumps, I looked at the Hygeia breast pump, at their website: https://www.hygeiahealth.com/. The website is set up so that in order to get any information about the costs of pumps through insurance coverage, one must click a See if you Qualify tab, and enter a lot of information, including insurance. I clicked the See if you qualify tab, and went through their prompts to see what pumps they offer would be covered by my insurance. I never choose or ordered a pump. Nonetheless, they mailed me a pump, and billed my insurance. I don't want their pump. And they billed my insurance for a replacement breastpump tube, which I also never ordered. This meant my insurance rejected the claim for the pump that I actually ordered, because the benefit had been used up by Hygeia.

I contacted them, and they were deliberately uncooperative about returning it, and notifying my insurance of the mistake. They insisted that somewhere along the line, while I was following the see if you qualify prompts, I clicked a box that gave them permission to process an order if they found I did qualify. That certainly was not my intent, and I'm a pretty careful consumer. They insist I have to pay the return shipping, and a $75 shopping fee. They were rude, and unconciliatory. The whole thing left me with the strong impression that this is a deliberate way in which they make sales: luring women to see if they qualify, hiding an order authorization box among many prompts, and making it a huge pain to return. Stay away unless you want to risk them sucking up your pump benefit for something you didn't order on purpose.

Original review: April 25, 2017

We got this for my wife and it has sucked (or not sucked haha) almost from the start. This company claims to have a hospital grade product. It is not even close. The pump broke after about a week and check how much they charged your insurance if you want a big shock. You are stuck with it and its junky accessories and there is no hope of returning it through their hassle laden customer service. Save the time and trouble and rent a real hospital grade pump like a Medela. Stay away from this garbage product.

Original review: April 11, 2017

I advise staying away from this pump and this company! The pump is way too bulky and doesn't work properly! When I contacted Hygeia about it, they didn't really care. They said that I marked a box when filling out the order form that I couldn't return it unless I paid $75.00! That must be some extremely fine print they have on that website of theirs! Thanks Hygeia! For nothing.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2017

Purchased a Hygeia EnJoye LBI Professional Grade Breast Pump and it broke within a week after I used it. Manufacturer would not stand by their product and refused to fix my pump. Very dishonest company.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2016

It works very well, helped to relieve a lot of pain and pressure on my breasts I was having. It was very easy to use. Good quality as well. Very durable. I was even able to put parts in the dishwasher without damaging them. I've even dropped it on the floor a few times. Did not crack or break at all. It was not very expensive. It lasted me for as long as I needed it. I did not have to replace it. Very comfortable, just the right size. With just the right amount of suction, which I could adjust. Did not make me feel uncomfortable or sore at all. Actually using it, was a relief for me.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2016

The effective of using this product was amazing. I had great use of using this item. I couldn't ask for a better product. It was great, thanks. The durability was great. It didn't break at all. I seriously would use it again if I had to. The value was great. Never thought I'd use something like this. And I would recommend it to anyone that needed a breast pump. The pump was sort of uncomfortable. But the use of it was good. I had no problem with the use or the product itself. The comfort level could be better though.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2016

As a new mother the very thought of going through the process of breast feeding was enough to give me a brain aneurysm. This product really helped me get what I needed as far as the milking process goes. Although not the cleanest process in the world, the clean up after each milking was pretty straightforward and didn't take too long. It is a pretty durable, well made machine and I was quite satisfied.

I must admit I think these machines are way too expensive for my money. I mean I know they are very very important and probably not cheap to make but they are pricey. What's the mark up. I would rate the comfort factor of the the machine I used pretty well. The discomfort is something that is unavoidable bit I think this machine did well in making a difficult process somewhat bearable.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2016

It was quite effective at doing what it was made to do. I found it was very easy to use compared to other pumps in its price range. Not only was it easy to use but also worked quickly. The durability of the pump was pretty much what I expected for the price I paid for it. The thing took a beating due to myself or others dropping it and also through normal wear and tear. It never stopped working. I think it was a very good value for the price of the pump. I've used others that were more expensive than this one was and compared to the others I wish I never bought them cause this one is just as good. The comfort level was pretty standard compared to the other pumps I've used or been told about. I wish there was more padding so it would be a little more comfortable but all and all not bad.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2016

Was super-easy to use. The milk flow really great. It didn't hurt my ** and I found it to be very productive. Great overall. Loved it and I recommend it to all my friends. I used it for about 6 months. It lasted the whole 6 months and I was still able to use it afterwards for my next pregnancy. It was great. I would use it again if I had the chance. Very comfortable. Sucked out all my milk. It was easy to assemble. I would recommend it to any new mom or to any mother that has never used one before.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2016

The breast pump was very effective. It was comfortable and was easy to use. I highly recommend this to anyone who needs it, like new or experienced mothers. The breast pump was very durable. The breast pump held up on multiple uses and all tubing was flexible and sturdy after many uses. The breast pump was inexpensive but was still of a very high quality. It allowed me to collect samples without breaking the bank or pinching pennies. The breast pump was very comfortable. It did not leave any bruises or marks. And even with multiple uses, the pump stayed comfortable and dependable.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2016

It worked exactly the way it was supposed to. There were no issues, no discomfort. It worked perfectly. It was used for a good while, but eventually we just didn't need it anymore, but we would recommend it to anyone. It was very durable. It was dropped more than a few times. It was kicked once or twice, and it was even sat on, but despite the beating it took, it still worked good as new. The durability is amazing. It's definitely worth its price. You never run out of uses. It can be kicked, dropped, and sat on, and it will still work exactly how it's supposed to. It fit perfectly. I never had to worry about it falling off, or slipping. My child definitely didn't have any issues. Even as my child grew, never was there any discomfort.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2016

My wife uses this product and it gives her a feeling of pride and a understanding of the look she wants to have. It works to your level you want and is easy to use. You will love this product. This is just what she wanted and the durability is by far the best that is out there. It lasts a long time and it is there for you any time you need it. The overall value is seeing the comfort and pride my wife has and the feeling of being in control with the look and style she wants to have. The feeling is real and that's the best part. The comfort is seeing that wonderful smile come across her face and I will say this product looks and feels right. She would not use this product if she did not believe in it and like it.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2016

Very effective and comfortable. Works very well and is a very reliable product. Does not break down easily. Very durable product. Works very well and does its job comfortably. Does not break easily. Keeps on working very well as long as you need it. Is very valuable to customers who need this product. It is very worth while. Could not have done without. Would use this product again if needed. Was very comfortable to use. Would recommend to anyone who needed this product. Did not hurt and felt very comfortable every time it was used.

Hygeia Breast Pumps expert review by Sandra Gordon

Hygeia is a breast pump company that features hospital-grade electric breast pumps for personal and multi-person use. Hygeia is the only breast pump company to be endorsed by La Leche League International, a breast-feeding advocacy group, and supported by the World Health Organization.

• Pump selection: Hygeia offers a single-user, double electric pump called the Hygeia Q; a double-electric, multi-user pump called the Hygeia Enjoye; a cordless Enjoye model; and two options for manual pumping including a one-handed and two-handed pump.

• Accessories and parts: You can purchase BPA-free parts and accessories for your pump, including nursing pads, valves, power cords, tubing, car chargers, filters, milk storage bags and more.

• Insurance coverage: Hygeia works with mothers to help them receive a hospital grade pump through the Affordable Care Act. You can use their website’s handy tool to find out if your plan is one of many that will cover the Hygeia Enjoye pump. Many insurance plans will also cover bottles, tubing and filters for the pump.

• Endorsements: A Hygeia pump comes with a La Leche League International membership that provides mother-to-mother support. The company is the only breast pump company to be endorsed by La Leche League International. Additionally, the Hygeia Enjoye hospital-grade double-electric pump has received the Pump of the Year award for five years in a row.

• Customer support: In addition to its own customer service and helpful website, Hygeia provides referrals to local lactation consultants to provide one-on-one advice and troubleshooting for both pumping and breast-feeding.

• Best for: frequent pumpers and those who have trouble feeding.

Profile picture of Sandra Gordon
Sandra Gordon

Parenting Products Contributing Editor

Specializing in health and medicine, Sandra Gordon has written extensively about cord blood banking for national and regional parenting magazines. She also has written about baby products, including breast pumps, for national and regional parenting magazines, blogs and books. Her work has appeared in hundreds of publications, including Parents, Prevention, Woman’s Day and Self. Gordon also appears on TV as a baby safety and money-saving expert. She is also the author of 10 books and the founder of babyproductsmom.com, a site dedicated to helping new parents gear up safely and within their budget.

Hygeia Breast Pumps Company Information