2. Elder Care
Costco Hearing Aid Center

Costco Hearing Aids

4.1/5 (90 ratings)

About Costco Hearing Aids

Costco Hearing Aid Centers are located across the country and offer hearing tests, fittings and maintenance from five manufacturers, including its own Kirkland brand. Customers can choose between basic hearing aids and high-end, feature-rich hearing aids. Costco’s prices are among the lowest in the industry, and it offers a 180-day return policy for all hearing aids.

Find Hearing Aids partners near you

Pros

• Bluetooth-compatible
    • 180-day return policy
    • Free testing and fitting
    • Warranties on all hearing aids

Cons

• Must be a Costco member
    • No payment plans

Bottom Line

Costco Hearing Aid Centers offer low prices on a variety of hearing aids. Costco also offers helpful services for free, including testing, fitting, follow-up appointments and maintenance.

Top Costco Hearing Aid Center Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Costco Hearing Aids Center?

Verified

I have had hearing aids for ten years using three pairs before Costco's... These Kirkland for $1600 are great. I can hear my wife, the TV, and conversations. Before, I could hear ...

Verified

We went to the Costco hearing aid center... The staff was professional, courteous, very knowledgeable and honest. I did a lot research about hearing aids and can confidently say t...

About Costco Hearing Aid Center

Costco has more than 540 stores in the United States, and many of these locations have hearing aid centers. The company sells low-priced hearing aids for people of any age who have mild, moderate, severe or profound hearing loss. Costco also provides free hearing tests, fittings, loss and damage coverage, maintenance and repair. The company stocks a variety of hearing aid accessories, including transmitters and microphones.

Costco hearing aids brands

Costco sells hearing aids from Philips, ReSound, Phonak and Rexton along with its Kirkland brand. These brands offer a wide variety of hearing aids, including open-fit and completely-in-the-canal devices.

Costco’s hearing aids come with features like noise reduction technology and Bluetooth compatibility that allows your hearing aids to double as headphones. All Costco hearing aids connect to smartphone apps and accessories.

Costco hearing aid prices

The cost of Costco hearing aids ranges from $1,499 per pair on the low end to $2,999 per pair on the high end. Prices vary depending on the features, technology and type of hearing aid you choose. For example, in-canal hearing aid models may cost $2,999 or more per pair because they require custom molds. Hearing aids with Bluetooth capabilities also cost a few hundred dollars more.

Costco hearing aid brandsCost
    Kirkland Signature 9.0$1,499 per pair
    Philips HearLink$2,499 per pair
    ReSound Vida$2,499 per pair
    Rexton Adore$2,499 to $2,999 per pair

Costco doesn’t offer financing options. Sales and discounts on hearing aids at Costco are also rare.

How to buy hearing aids at Costco

To buy hearing aids from Costco, first make sure your membership is up to date, then book an appointment for a free hearing test. If you’re shopping in a store, you may be able to get tested without an appointment.

A hearing aid professional determines the extent of your hearing loss by doing a series of tests. After testing, the professional fits you for your hearing aids by selecting devices that match your type of hearing loss, the shape of your ear and your lifestyle.

You can choose to buy hearing aids right then or take some time to research the different brands and types that Costco sells. It typically takes Costco two weeks to ship your hearing aids after you order. You can return hearing aids bought at Costco within the 180-day trial period for a full refund.

Costco hearing aids FAQ

What is Costco’s return policy for hearing aids?
    Costco has a 180-day full-refund return policy for hearing aids.
    Does Costco sell hearing amplifiers?
    Costco does not sell hearing amplifiers. Hearing amplifiers boost all sounds around you and are intended for people without hearing loss. Hearing amplifiers are not hearing aids and should not be used by people who are hearing-impaired.
    Does Costco offer a trial period for hearing aids?
    Costco has a 180-day money-back guarantee return policy on its hearing aids, so you can use that time to decide whether you like your hearing aids risk-free.
    How long do Costco Hearing Aids last?
    Costco hearing aids last anywhere from five to eight years. Costco's Kirkland hearing aid batteries last between four and eight days, depending on how long you wear your hearing aid each day.

Are Costco hearing aids good?

Yes, Costco is a good choice for many people shopping for hearing aids. Costco carries premium hearing aids from four of the top brands in the industry, as well as its own Kirkland brand of hearing aids. Costco hearing professionals are there for you during the entire process, from initial testing to follow-up appointments for maintenance and cleaning. Costco hearing aids are best for anyone who wants to buy hearing aids at an affordable price and have all their hearing needs taken care of in one place. Unfortunately, you must be a Costco member to take advantage of these low prices.

Costco Hearing Aid Center Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Costco Hearing Aid Center?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Costco Hearing Aids Center?

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

5 months ago I replaced my hearing aids with Costco's Brio 4 model. It was mediocre in performance (but please read on as you'll see why), with 3 trips back to tweak, adjust and complain about the myriad of issues that plagued me. I have another month to return them for a full refund, and was seriously considering taking them back. However, I had a lot of misgivings about the person's ability who fitted me with this aid, so I tried another Costco store to see what they could do. I made the appointment with a different Costco store. After talking to the person answering the phone, explaining my problems with the aids and the store that issued them and we made an appointment for 5 weeks out. (They were that busy, but certainly worth the wait!)

Today was my appointment with the new store. I explained my problems, and the poor responses of the original store to my new hearing aid expert. She listened and even apologized for the other store's incompetence and then downloaded the program from my hearing aids to her computer. She found and corrected several problems with the way it was programmed, made other changes that I wanted that the other person said was not possible and made suggestions for changes based on what she felt would be best for my situation. Wow, what a difference! I walked out of there with a totally different opinion of the hearing aids. I am very happy with the performance and I am ecstatic that all my needs were addressed and corrected. What was a 2 star review from the original experience has earned them a 5 star review now.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2021

I had a Resound hearing aid I bought three years ago from an audiologist. It quit working. I saw an online discussion about Kirkland's Signature 10, the price was $1,000 cheaper than the Resound and it had more features. When I went to Costco's hearing center in Tampa, they gave me a much more thorough ear examination and I ordered from them. The Signature 10 was delivered in a week and when I went back to Costco to pick it up I was surprise they also had a very detailed computerized setup procedure. The procedure played sounds from different directions in the sound booth and customized the aids for the best sounds.

I have now had these aids and am very satisfied. I also got a TV amplifier ($125) that broadcasts TV to both hearing aids. It works great. If I want to watch/hear a program and my wife is sleeping, I can turn the TV sound off, then turn it up on its box to as loud as I need it. Sometimes, I want to be able to hear my wife in the earpiece next to her and listen to the TV in the other ear. Easy to do. I like this aid so well, I am tempted to buy a second one for after this one has worn out. This also works well to answer the phone and talk to someone using the hearing aid's microphone. Tip: It works best in this mode if you do not hold the phone up to your ear--you can put it on a nearby desk or table for the clearest sound for the person you are talking to on the phone.

Get buying tips about Hearing Aids delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2021

The people at the Costco hearing center are quite helpful in helping you get adjusted to the hearing aids. However in my case, it required several visits before the sound quality was good. I find the aids a bit uncomfortable to wear and with the mask situation now, almost impossible. Every time I remove the mask, the unit falls out. Costco is very good about cleaning the aids and I try to do so each time I am in a Costco store, wherever it is.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2021

While the Costco Hearing center customer service is phenomenal, their Kirkland brand hearing aids are not. I have worn hearing aids for approx. 20 years; with a condition of substantial hearing loss. I’ve had aids of 2 different brands prior to receiving the Kirkland (Rexton) bluetooth/ rechargeable hearing aids. I have had these aids for almost two years. While I enjoy the capability of streaming directly into my ears, the streaming is not continuous. It often cuts out, playing in one ear only, switching ears, or cutting out completely in both ears. I’ve taken them in for adjustments, and the staff has been very courteous and patient.

My next trip to Costco, I will be leaving the aids with them to send in to the company. I initially, I had ordered the battery-powered aids, which were completely covered by our insurance. I found myself replacing batteries daily. I exchanged them for the rechargeable model—for which I paid an additional out-of-pocket expense. I find myself wearing these now only during Zoom mtgs, phone calls from our car, audio books while hubby watches football, and tv news—all of which I stream directly to my ears. For general all-round hearing, I wear my old hearing aids (Phonak, purchased through a major hospital healthcare system; and at a substantially higher cost).

Costco Kirkland (Rexton brand) hearing aids just do not provide the clarity I get from my older aids. I’ve been back to Costco for adjustments, with no satisfactory result. I will say—and I’m assuming it is spoken in desperation—that I’ve been told my ears are not compatible for hearing aids...so what am I to do about that???? Even with the fancy menu of hearing options: automatic, complete with directional microphone; listening to music; outdoors; playing music; television; etc...these aids do not effectively deliver ( and the ‘music options’ are horrible—music sounds tinny. I actually use this option while in the car; as it seems to amplify a bit better than other options...but then the road noise is louder as well—just cannot win).

While streaming, the rechargeable aids are only good until about noon; at which point I place them back on the charging unit until the evening news. I just cannot recommend these hearing aids. I may add, it's also frustrating to those around me when I constantly respond with “what?” while wearing them (many times hearing a disgusting response like “I thought you had hearing aids”). I went with Costco this time, due to ratings in Consumer Reports.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

The Costco experience was so easy to get tested, ordered, and fitted for my hearing aid. I probably qualify to get hearing aids through a VA hospital, but after reading about how Costco was so highly rated in a leading Consumer Magazine, I elected not to go through the VA, thinking Costco would have the latest and greatest hearing aid products. I'm very happy with my "ears" now.

Original review: July 11, 2021

Helen (Specialist) and Jade (Attendant) provide excellent service to my mom. Recommend and tried Hearing Aid. Mom comfortable and purchased, love the service and will refer 2 family/friend. Thank You.

Original review: May 5, 2021

AN ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE. At first, we were quite happy with the hearing aids, and the service at Barrhaven Costco. All was well until one of the hearing aids started acting up less than a year later, and that is when the nightmare began. Being over two hours from Ottawa, we mailed in the hearing aid to be fixed. They did nothing that we hadn’t done ourselves, and said it was ready anyway. Covid had begun by then and we were in the first wave. Everyone was in a panic, and Ottawa was fast becoming a hot spot for infections. But, we drove there, picked up the hearing aid, and drove straight back, all the while feeling very vulnerable.

When the hearing aid started acting up again during the third wave, we talked to them about mailing the it in again. However, we are seniors and were not prepared to drive to a ‘hotspot’ again, especially with the ‘stay at home order’ in effect. After many talks with the manager, it was agreed that we could pay for a courier to pick it up and return it to us. However, when we called to get the correct postal code, and mentioned what the manager had told us, we were informed, in no uncertain terms, and very forcefully, that there was no way it could be returned to us, by courier or otherwise. We would be forced to pick it up. Since we are not prepared to do that, we are pretty much up the creek.

So, for anyone out there who needs a reliable hearing aid, please do not do what we did. We thought we were saving some money and getting a good product and service at the same time. We were dead wrong on both counts. The hearing aids are rubbish and the service is non-existent when you need it most. Do yourself a favour and buy locally from a reputable business. That is what we will be doing in very short order.

Original review: May 4, 2021

I've had several sets of hearing aids but decided to get the latest with a great price. The automatic function does not work or is very erratic. Speech even in a small room with few people is garbled. Every time my iPhone has an action or I look at a photo or message, the hearing aids go bonkers or off. I have an echo around me and I can hear my own chewing. I had these adjusted after 3 weeks and they are still bad. My phone link has to be uploaded constantly and so it is slow for me to adjust to new situations. I've kept my prior ones when I can change the channel manually. I will be returning these; The new auto program does not work.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

3 pair of Siemens hearing aid in past (2 from Costo) & all were great. Costo sold me my 4 pr which were Resound & had nothing but trouble in last yr. Technicians at Torrance Ca. Store are great but their support leaves something to be desired. Will be going back to hearing aid only business in future.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

Service is impressive and, unlike some other hearing aid companies I have dealt with, continues after the devices are purchased. The number of sites available across the country for service outshines any other hearing aid company and it has the benefit of being in a one stop shopping location.

Find a Hearing Aid partner near you.

Costco Hearing Aids Center author review by Shelley Webb

Costco Hearing Aid Centers sell hearing aids from five brands, including the in-house brand, Kirkland. Hearing aids are available for customers with mild to profound hearing loss. Financing options are not available, but hearing aids purchased through Costco are usually cheaper than competitors’ models.

• Products: This company sells hearing aids by ReSound, Phonak, Rexton, Philips and its own Kirkland brand. Within these brands, customers can choose between open-fit, behind-the-ear, in-the-ear, completely-in-canal and canal configurations. Accessories are also available, including batteries, remote controls, TV-sound transmitting units and portable microphones.

• Features: This retailer can provide any features that its five brands make available in their designs. Some hearing aids are Bluetooth-capable and connect to smartphones and accessories.

• Trial and warranty: Customers can return any hearing aids bought from Costco for a full refund within 180 days of purchase.

• Locations: Not all Costco stores have a Hearing Aid Center, but many do. To find one near you, check Costco’s store locator.

by Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Costco Hearing Aid Center Company Information