3.7/5 (90 ratings)

About Fitbit

Fitbit is an activewear company with a line of popular fitness-focused tracking devices. Its models come in several different styles at various price points. These devices are easy to use and ideal for those who want to track their daily steps, calories burned or sleep habits.

Pros

• Easy to use
  • Well-known brand
  • Many model and style options
  • Sleep tracking

Cons

• Can be expensive
  • No blood pressure tracking
  • No Apple texting

Bottom Line

Fitbit offers a large lineup of fitness trackers. Its devices don’t allow Apple texting or blood pressure tracking, but they do track sleep habits, calorie burn and daily steps. Fitbit can be pricey, but it offers many price points.

What is Fitbit?

Fitbit is a technology company that specializes in activewear and devices that promote a healthy lifestyle. Fitbit is most known for its line of smartwatches, which come in many models and styles and are designed to help users stay on top of their fitness goals.

What does a Fitbit do?

Fitbit smartwatches track a wide variety of fitness factors, like heart rate, sleep, steps and calories burned. They can also help track meals and weight loss. The smartwatch itself tracks data with your connected device (usually a phone), and you’ll need the Fitbit app for the full tracking experience. When connected, a Fitbit acts not only as a goal tracker but also as a source of motivation to complete more steps, workouts and general wellness activities.

Fitbit types

Fitbit offers several different devices. Its smartwatches connect to your phone in order to track workouts and lifestyle choices, send text messages, answer calls and check the weather. Fitbit also has standard fitness trackers that offer many of the same services without the smartphone technology; these are best for users most focused on wellness benefits. Fitbit also sells accessories, including watchbands and scales.

Fitbit prices

At the time of publishing, Fitbit prices start at $99.95 for the Fitbit Inspire 2, a basic tracker. Its other two trackers cost around $150 each. Fitbit smartwatches are more expensive, starting at $179.95 for the Fitbit Versa 2. The newer Fitbit Versa 3 lands at $229.95. Its most expensive model, the Fitbit Sense, costs $329.95 and includes a wide variety of high-tech features, such as skin temperature monitoring, women’s health options and more.

Fitbit FAQ

What phones are compatible with Fitbits?
The Fitbit app is compatible with most popular phones and tablets, including iPhones running iOS 12.2 or higher, Google Pixel, Samsung Galaxy phones running Android OS 7.0 or higher and many Huawei devices.
What’s the cheapest Fitbit?
The kid’s Fitbit Ace 2 is the cheapest Fitbit device. The cheapest adult model is the Fitbit Inspire 2, which is $99.95.
Does Fitbit measure blood pressure?
No, current Fitbit devices cannot track blood pressure.
Should you wear a Fitbit to bed?
Fitbit recommends it. Sleeping in your Fitbit allows you to track your sleep habits.
Can you text on a Fitbit?
Yes, if you have an Android phone. Fitbit Charge 3, Fitbit Charge 4, Fitbit Ionic, Fitbit Sense, and Fitbit Versa models allow texting when paired with Android phones.

Is Fitbit worth it?

Fitbit is one of the leading manufacturers of fitness trackers. With a variety of high-tech, personalized tracking options, Fitbit is ideal for those who want a better picture of their personal wellness. While more advanced features, e.g., skin temperature sensing, might not be worth the cost for everyone, most can find a Fitbit device within their budget. For Apple users, Fitbit might not be ideal beyond its fitness tracking, as they can’t use its smartwatches to their full potential.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fitbit?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fitbit?

Original review: Aug. 4, 2022

I loved my Fitbit Inspire 2 when I first got it, however after 14 months the battery stopped holding a charge. I contacted customer service, followed their recommendations, but nothing worked. The charge went from lasting 10 days to 2 hours seemingly overnight and for no reason. Of course the warranty just expired. They did however offer a 35% off coupon, but I'll never buy another Fitbit product. I cannot recommend this product.

Original review: July 30, 2022

I recently contacted Fitbit in regards to the unexceptionable service that was provided from their company. After explaining my issues to the customer service department I was told that they were just following instructions that were provided to them, which is to terminate any phone call after a certain amount of time if an issue cannot be resolved thru their service department. I have never heard of any company putting out this kind of ignorance. I have purchased 3 Fitbit watches from this company and I promise you I will never purchase another one.

Get buying tips about Exercise Equipment delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 25, 2022

My wife and I have had issues with reliability of our Fitbit products, but the real issue that burns me is their poor customer service. My wife purchased an extended warranty (buyer protection plan) from fitbit, but found out it was a waste of money. After jumping through all the hoops with fitbit customer service, the bottom line is they will not honor their extended warranty. What a racket! I hate to see my wife being ripped off. No more fitbit for this family!

Original review: July 20, 2022

After v3 Fitbits I am convinced they are built to fail after 12 to 18 months. I am in the same place many other reviewers are...They get you to buy...It fails...They say out of warranty, buy a new one. Customer service is a joke.

Original review: July 8, 2022

Order a Fitbit and paid for a 2-day delivery. I received an email stating it was shipped. However, when I checked the tracking number, the label was created and nothing was shipped. I waited for the 2-days and called them. The first time I called, the CSR was not very professional. There was a lot of background noise of people laughing. When I told her that it was difficult for me to hear her questions, she stated that there were other CSRs helping other customers, but it sounded like they were talking to each other and joking around. She placed me on hold for over 15 minutes. I had to hang up and call again.

The second CSR was more helpful. I requested a refund on my 2-day delivery and delivery of my Fitbit overnight, which I thought was a reasonable request given that fact that I had yet to received it after 2 days and I had to call twice. She looked into the issues and she admitted the mistake was on their end but then refused to offer me overnight shipment to make up for it. They instead re-order the Fitbit and told me that I had to wait until next week to receive it and would reimburse my shipment costs.

When I asked about not getting the overnight, the person told me that her supervisor refused the request. When I asked to speak to her supervisor (I have the supervisio, the CSR stated that she could not come to the phone and that she will email me. It is so disappointing given that I have been a long-time customer with Fitbit and had ordered several Fitbits from them for myself, kids and family, etc. It would have cost them $7.00 more between an overnight shipment and a 2-day shipment. But I guess they do not value their customers. They can count on this being the last time my husband or I order from them.

Original review: May 23, 2022

Having exercised for over 40 years I obviously became interested in fitness trackers. I went through several brands until I finally decided to splurge on a Fitbit. The first Fitbit model had a problem with the wrist band falling off and several times I feared losing it. In fact, twice I had to contact Fitbit to help me find it. However, they could offer no help in keeping it on my wrist. Then I upgraded to a Fitbit Charge 4 GPS that cost approximately $125 on Amazon. It did everything I needed. However, after about 9 months, one end of the device completely broke off. I didn’t believe I had put any stress on it and the phone tech told me assured me I hadn’t, and even shared that it was a known product issue. They replaced it for free.

The replacement was an updated Charge 4 GPS. However, within 6 months, the end of this device snapped off. Fitbit’s Warranty team wrote and said I was out of warranty (1-year total time) even though this phone tech still acknowledged the continued defect. They offered me a 35% discount to continue my Fitbit loyalty. I was livid and countered that they were expecting customers to pay for their known, unresolved! Car owners didn’t have to pay for recalls. She shot back that she couldn’t alter her offer. I told her that I expected electronics to last longer than one year, e.g., that I have a 25-year-old IPOD and a 15-year-old home entertainment system. She said that was irrelevant. I said, OK, then refund my original purchase price. I worked hard for that money. She said that wasn’t an option. I responded that Fitbit obviously didn’t give a damn about their customers and hung up.

Original review: April 12, 2022

Kids got me a brand new Fitbit charge 5 for my birthday. After the initial excitement wore off, and I had used it for a few days, it simply fell off my wrist. I was not doing anything exciting, just walking down the stairs. Have no idea why it would fall off but there it was. The little piece that held the strap in was on the stairs. I scooped it up. It looked complicated and inadequate. Why engineers fail on systems that have worked well for centuries escapes me but there it was. Have no idea what all the excitement is about. It simply is not worth the upgrade from my Fitbit Charge 4. Back it goes to Amazon where I am sure it will join others in the bargain bin. Come on Fitbit you can do better!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2022

Please don’t waste your money on Fitbit. You can buy a good Apple Watch for about the same price. I have owned Fitbit trackers before the alta & original Fitbit getting this new design as a Christmas gift. I got the Luxe with the gold chain link band Gorjana. It’s a nice look however not made well. The band comes apart every few days at the contact with tracker. I push it back on and unfortunately doesn’t stay put. Plus the screen is so small you can’t read it. For $200.00 I wish I got the Apple Watch instead. I lost my luxe at Animal kingdom. Now I will get the Apple Watch. Bye bye Fitbit.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2021

I have been a loyal Fitbit customer since 2016. I have had the Charge2, two Charge3’s and now the Inspire2. I had had little to no issues with the Charge models. My main issue is the App. I can no longer sync to the App. It will say to wait for 20 or 30 minutes then fail. Support told me I needed to update my IPhone. I told them I have and there are no new updates for my model. I was told my phone is now too old for their new apps. He said, "You need to buy a new phone."

My (bought and paid for) Fitbit worked with my current phone for over a year. Fitbit updated me out of a working device, I am done with them. I believe the issue is that I am able to set my privacy settings so that they cannot harvest my personal data and other activity to sell it so it cannot complete the update. This is upsetting to me because my daughters and granddaughters and I have been doing challenges for the last couple of years. As we live in 4 different states it was a great way to stay connected.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

I have been a proponent of Fitbit products since 2014. I have had multiple Charges. I've had an Ionic (and a replacement one) and most recently the Sense. I have even had two of their weight scales. I have put faith in my ability to troubleshoot (with and without Support) and give the product and the company the benefit of the doubt by getting replacements and giving it another shot. I'm here to tell you I'm tired and absolutely DONE trying to support Fitbit. The product quality has gotten worse and worse and their inability to be accountable for poor product quality is embarrassing. The most recent group of products just stopped charging or turning on after updates. And, yes, I have done the updates as suggested and done everything to keep the product in its best state. But, I am constantly disappointed.

My Sense stopped charging after JUST 4 MONTHS of use. Support was understanding but had no recourse for me other than a replacement (after the only 45 days of opportunity for a full refund). A replacement of a poor product is not worth my time and, frankly, it shouldn't be the consumer's role to replace your product more often because you made it poorly to begin with. Spending hundreds of dollars has only gotten me more time calling Support and waiting for my next shipment of a replacement to come in. So, long story short, I'm done with Fitbit. Buy at your own risk.

Fitbit Company Information