eDiets.com

Compare Weight Loss Programs

Research top Weight Loss Programs recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

On July 1st, 2012, I placed an order for eDiets' home delivery meal service. Being that I am a picky order, I denied the customer service representative's request to purchase three weeks and get the fourth free, stating that I'd prefer to taste the meals first. That denial was made on June 29th, 2012 and at the time, I opted to order online due to the hard sell the representative was pushing. I purchased online Sunday, July 1, 2012.

On the morning of July 5th, I noticed a pending charge of $169 my account. I called eDiets and was advised this was the purchase of another week food delivery. The young lady I spoke with, Colleen, advised, "We had staffing on the 4th of July holiday and you should have called yesterday to make a change." She continued to add once it hits Thursday they can no longer make any changes to orders. The representative then went on to pressure me about all the terms and conditions of the order, and again I advised her I did not sign up for automatic shipments. Colleen then advised she would cancel my order but it would be an $80 cancellation fee. Again, I turned down that offer as I advised I wasn't sure if I wanted to continue until I actually received my order and that was a deceptive business practice of making money via fees. I requested a supervisor and after a lengthy hold, I was transferred to Michelle who offered the same advice.

Finally, I requested a manager call back regarding the matter after some debate with Michelle who continued to insist that Colleen had informed me correctly. I finally received a call back from Wendy ** at 12:17pm on July 5th, the same day. At that time, I had already decided not to put too much energy into the matter and to accept the fee after stating my problem. Wendy advised me that she cancelled my order, waived the cancellation fee but I would be billed $170 for next week of food delivery. I was enraged all over again. She continued to add that once the clock hits 12pm they can no longer make adjustments per the IT department and she tried to override the system and was not able to. When I continued to question Wendy about the outlandishness of her claim that she could do nothing only 19 minutes after the clock strikes twelve o'clock, she replied, "What would I gain from lying to you?"

When I replied that there was no way in hell that can be true, she advised that she would disconnect the call due to my use of profanity. This company and its representatives are not only practicing deceptive business practices but they are unprofessional and I believe they are also deceptive in informing a customer that a manager can stop the billing of an order 19 minutes past 12pm for food that will not be shipped until next Thursday, July 12th. Wendy proceeded to add that I should have taken the offer at the time Michelle made it to me as that was well within the system limits. I've asked for a call back from another manager for whatever good that will do. In closing, I pulled up eDiets' billing reviews and there are a ton of them out there. This company had good food reviews but the backdoor billing practices should be illegal.

I signed up for eDiets and found that FedEx would not deliver to my apartment door, only to the building door. I injured my back twice and therefore, wrote to cancel my account. I did this in plenty of time to prevent the next shipment. They shipped anyway and charged my account. When I called to complain, the woman simply repeated "we charge you endlessly". I actually wondered whether I was speaking to a person since the sentence was repeated regardless of what I said. I returned the food and want a credit for the $115.00.

I signed up for month and have repeatedly tried to cancel. They are continuing to charge my credit card and refusing to cancel my account.

Repeated emails and attempts to contact them have not work.

I am in the process of sorting out my credit card statements. I am frustrated by how deceptive their website is and how hard it is to cancel an account. There is a deliberate intent to cheat here

I signed up for a 7-day free trial. I canceled and eDiets continued to charge my credit card. They continued to push through charges after the card was canceled by my bank. After this issue, I checked Consumer Affairs and eDiets received a D-rating. I should have checked here for before buying online from this fraudulent organization. I could not pay bills for my chronic health condition because it took me time to get some of the funds returned to me by bank and also impacted my ability to buy gas for my car to get to work.

They were offering a 3-month membership for $11.00 and change. They failed to tell new members who wanted these services that there would be extra charges to use most of the site. To put a long story short, I ended up paying $50.00 a month instead of $11.00! When I tried to cancel, they said they would charge me a bogus $25.00 cancellation fee because my 3 months was not up. I felt scammed because I had thought that I read all the fine print, and only signed up because I thought it was $11.00/month. I e-mailed them several times and they did respond, but when I asked for a refund, I got no response. I'm surprised because they are a big web-based company, but their integrity needs some work.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about eDiets.com?

I began signing up for a program that was supposed to assist in a diet/exercise plan for $12.00 a month through ediets.com. When I went to check out, the total was well over $100.00. I didn't sign up for anything else but the basic product, there were many other items the website had added to the total. I did not complete the process; however, there was not a "cancel" icon, so I just left the website without pressing the "submit" button to complete the transaction. I sent an email to help@ediets.com on May 24th and May 25th, 2004, telling them to cancel, it was a mistake and never should have been completed. They still billed my Visa for $91.00 on May 30th. I called to cancel and get a refund again and was told I could only get a "partial" refund. The Supervisor was very rude and determined not to listen to my plight, basically telling me it was my own fault.

I ordered a diet pill supplement to my regular routine. The company sent it to me and I tried it. Subsequently, it caused my heart to race and my Dr told me it could cause me to have a heart attack. So I called them to cancel my subscription for their product and tell them I wanted my money back per their "money back guarantee". They said I had called after the expiration date. They told me I could not have it back after all. I figured I would just have to eat it. I canceled the product, thinking it was over.

When I started the program, they tell you that you can get all your money back if you do not use or like the services. I call them to cancel services 3 days after, the answer was that they have to charge me 4 weeks for the service even though I DID not use any of it. The customer services rep. was rude and they would not refund but 45.00 out of 65.00. I do not think it's fair. Please if can look their website up and see for yourself. Thank you.

On April 19th, I registered online for a trial period with ediets.com at an advertised rate of $5.00. When I received my debit card statement, I found that I was billed at $40.00. When I contacted ediets.com, I was told that I was automatically billed every month. This is something I was not made aware of and would not have agreed to. I also discovered that had I not contacted them about this, they would have continued to bill me on a monthly basis (and may still do so, unless I cancel my debit card number, I just found out). I respectfully requested a credit of $35.00 due to the fact that I did not intend to pursue this, was not aware that this procedure was done and had never even logged into the account; however, I was denied this request.

When I requested via email the account or invoice number for this transaction, I was told they would not email this to me and that I would have log into the account to get it, but I have already cancelled this account. I am an educated person and even I missed or failed to "see" this agreement they maintain was there on the date I signed up for the trial period. I even emailed them on April 21st to confirm this was a trial membership at $5.00 ONLY. I feel that these practices are deceptive and a scam to bilk consumers until they "discover" the real procedures this company uses, too late to recover the money stolen from them.

This to me amounts to outright theft and this company is well aware of it - they just practice "legalized thievery". All I am requesting is the $35.00 I did not agree to pay and cancellation of an account I have never used. I would also encourage this company to list, in plain sight and verbiage, the method(s) used for obtaining money from unsuspecting consumers, i.e., that they will be billed automatically, even if they sign up for a "trial" period membership.

I signed up for a program with eDiets in Nov. 2001. It was very confusing and I should have stopped there. I wasn't even clear on how much it would be. I kept answering questions, which led to more - hoping that when I was done I would know exactly what I was signing up for. I did not. Now I've been charged two months @ $15.00/per month and haven't been using their services. I was under the impression that I signed up for a couple of weeks and that it was over because in Jan. 2002, I tried to log on and was not able to. In March, when I received my American Exp. bill, I found a charge from them for Feb. I called and they told me it was part of the agreement I signed up for.

I told them to cancel it and I paid it. Now I received a charge for March. I called again and they were no help at all. The operator I spoke to said it was what I agreed to and that it was like a gym membership. I told her I never received any info. from them as far as the terms and she told me it was on their home page. I just visited the site and could not find anything out without giving them info. about myself and that's how I got into this mess. It doesn't even say how much it is or exactly what they're offering. I will pay this last charge because I really don't want to harm my credit for $15.00, but I don't want this to happen to anyone else.

Expert Review

JJ VirginWeight Loss Programs Contributing Editor

Celebrity Nutrition & Fitness Expert JJ Virgin is author of New York Times bestseller “The Virgin Diet: Drop 7 Foods, Lose 7 Pounds, Just 7 Days.” She is also the best-selling author of “Six Weeks to Sleeveless and Sexy” as well as a prominent TV and print media personality.    More about JJ→

Customizable diet plans, expert support, and a community forum are among the benefits of eDiets. Rather than a one-size-fits-all plan, eDiet allows you to choose from plans like the Glycemic Impact Plan, Vegetarian Plan, and New Mediterranean Diet.

• Variety: There are enough options here to fit any lifestyle and goals. Anyone will find a plan on here that works.
  • Personalization: This is the antithesis of a one-size-fits-all plan. A large food database allows you to create a plan that works for you, whether you’re 18 or 80.
  • Support: Expert support and a forum both enhance accountability and compliance. eDiets doesn’t just want you to find the perfect fit; they’ll do everything they can to make sure you stick with that program.
  • Confusing: Too many choices among diet plans could become confusing and lead consumers to “plan hop” and not attain their goals. eDiets could become overwhelming if you want everything laid out, though in all fairness, they have excellent customer support to find the right match. Ultimately it’s worth the time and investment, since you’ll ideally stick with this plan for the rest of your life.
  • Best for Dieters with food sensitivities, kids and teens and former athletes.

Compare Weight Loss Programs