1.0/5 (8 ratings)

About Echelon

Echelon manufactures exercise equipment that tracks your fitness progress and displays workout classes for all fitness levels. Its products include exercise bikes, smart mirrors, rowing machines and treadmills, all of which have a screen to display fitness instruction and tracking. The Echelon United membership requires a monthly or annual fee, but it provides access to thousands of fitness classes.

Pros

• Multiple price points
  • High-tech designs
  • Easy to assemble

Cons

• Membership costs
  • Financing requires membership

Bottom Line

Echelon’s high-tech fitness equipment offers gym-level workouts at home. While the monthly subscription costs extra, it’s necessary to access the company’s exercise classes and most equipment features.

What is Echelon?

Echelon is an exercise equipment manufacturer. Its products offer immersive, studio-quality workouts. Echelon sells state-of-the-art smart bikes, rowers, treadmills and smart mirrors that can provide access to its thousands of live and on-demand classes. However, you need an Echelon United membership to view these classes and utilize many of the equipment’s features.

How does Echelon work?

Echelon’s bikes, rowing machines, treadmills and smart mirrors each have a built-in screen on which you can watch fitness classes or monitor your progress. You can also turn these adjustable screens around to face away from the machine for a yoga class or full-body workout.

Echelon tracks your progress in a user profile and connects with wellness apps like Fitbit or Apple Health. This biometric feedback lets you conveniently set, track and accomplish your fitness goals.

When you buy exercise equipment from Echelon, the company ships your purchase to your home. For an additional monthly fee, you get an Echelon United membership, which gives you access to live and recorded classes, fitness tracking and community competitions.

You can also purchase an equipment-free membership, which offers yoga, strength training and high-intensity interval training (HIIT) workouts that don’t require your other Echelon products.

Echelon bike prices

Suggested retail prices for Echelon bikes range from $1,099.99 to $1,999.99 without any membership. However, these prices seem to be targeted towards existing members buying additional equipment.

Most new customers opt for a monthly membership, which lowers the bike’s cost by about $200 but adds $39.99 per month.

Echelon’s other products are priced in a similar fashion, where the option to add a membership discounts the equipment but costs extra monthly. Its Reflect smart mirrors and its rowers start at $1,039.98, but its treadmills start at $1,338.98.

You can also choose to buy a one- or two-year membership upfront, which saves you money versus paying monthly. Broken down over time, a two-year subscription comes out to just $29.99 per month. That’s about a 25% savings.

Echelon provides financing options with $0 down and monthly payments for up to 48 months for qualified customers. The company provides financing only to customers who purchase a membership, though.

Echelon FAQ

Does Echelon charge for shipping?
It depends:
  • If you choose to pay for your subscription monthly, you’ll have to pay for shipping (typically $199).
  • If you choose the one- or two-year membership, shipping is included in the purchase price.
Does Echelon require installation?
No, most people can install Echelon bikes in as little as 15 minutes.
Do you have to pay for a monthly subscription with Echelon?
No, but it’s recommended. Having a monthly subscription is how you receive access to the company’s live and on-demand workouts, which is one of Echelon’s biggest selling points.
Does Echelon have an app?
Yes, the Echelon Fit App offers live and on-demand studio classes plus personal fitness tracking.

Are Echelon bikes good?

Echelon offers a variety of bikes with smart tracking features and solid equipment. With live and on-demand classes available, it’s relatively convenient for you to find a workout that fits your style. Plus, the company backs all its equipment with a one-year warranty and a 30-day return policy. Membership can be a little expensive, so the Echelon bike is a better option for those who work out a lot and want to save time and money by avoiding multiple gym memberships.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Echelon?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Echelon?

Original review: May 3, 2022

I ordered my stride in July 2021. The first time it was supposed to be delivered there were issues and I was going to cancel however I heard from a customer service manager and he resolved the issue so I proceeded. I received the treadmill in August used it for 10 minutes and it stopped working. I have messaged and emailed around 50 times with no help from them. Finally on March 9th I receive an email that states MY REFUND HAS BEEN APPROVED. DO NOT SEND ANYTHING BACK. I contact them again and I am told that is correct it will take 7-10 business days for refund to my account.

When that time came and went I contacted again and I was told well they are working from home due to Covid and are behind, I waited until April and I called I spoke with a Mr ** supposedly a supervisor. He listened to me and reassured me he was going to escalate this and have the refund issued telling me it usually is not the policy to not have to send item back. I said well here is the email I can send it to you. Now the item does not work. It is upright in my craft room. It’s not that I want it but they have absolutely no idea what is going on. I still have not gotten any refund. When I last spoke with them they are now saying the item has to be returned and once received they will issue refund, I have told them there is no way I am sending it back. They must stand by what they say. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY.

Original review: April 21, 2022

I received a defective bike (ex5) this unit has a known Bluetooth issue that causes the bike to disconnect from the app every 5 minutes or so. The only way to even try to use the bike is to turn off the app, restart, losing all stats and place in class. After explaining that I've tried every possible fix online, they say nothing but send me a generic link telling me to restart the app and update. Of course I've tried that. Customer service won't answer so I reached to them on Instagram, they responded there but just referred me to their website again, no response there. Stuff like this happens but the way customer service handles it is sad.

I've talked to others with the same issue and they were sent a new Bluetooth connection device. That worked for them. The person on their Instagram account said they want me to return the whole bike aside from being wasteful, the bike weighs 106 lbs and is awkward. How am I supposed to pack this thing up, send it to them and then wait months for a replacement. After explaining that I've tried every possible fix online, they say nothing but send me a generic link telling me to restart the app and update. Of course I've tried that. I'm switching to Pelaton, the extra few bucks they charge us worth it for a bike that's actually usable and a company who stands behind their product.

Get buying tips about Exercise Equipment delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2022

I purchased a stationary bike from this company. The bike said it was shipping Jan 2022. After purchase I had contacted their chat so I could get a idea on when the bike would be delivered. I was told 7-10 days I would be contacted to set up delivery. The 7-10 days passes to 14 and I contact their chat again to see if there is a updated shipping date. This time I’m told there was no ship date. When I ask to cancel my order so I can order from another company that is shipping products I get this response from the chat agent. “It is still January, as far as I am aware, I have not said that it will not ship in January, I said that I do not have an exact date given to me.”

I then turn to their Facebook messenger after about 5 days of not getting a cancellation email. I get one response apologizing and asking for my email address. Then nothing. Then I turn to their Facebook page. I posted the conversation with the agent. They then tell me to message them via messenger, which I already did. When I told them I did so they said I messaged the wrong account. I screenshot and posted the message sent. They then tell me that they can’t respond to PM and to PM then again. In whose world does that make sense! After I ask them how that made sense they deleted the whole conversation and blocked me from their page.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

This company is a literal dumpster fire. I ordered a treadmill with "White Glove delivery" service which includes a pre scheduled delivery time. Well they never gave me one and they just ended up showing up at my house on a random day. Luckily I was home to receive it. The treadmill was damaged upon arrival (the belt was broken). Clearly it was not opened and tested before delivering to me. I refused the delivery and made them take it back. When I contacted customer service they keep saying "no worries" and "perfect". Well maybe it's no worries for you, but this has all been A HUGE INCONVENIENCE FOR ME! They still have not given me a resolution.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

We received a non functional treadmill on Dec 10. Nearly one month later, 15 emails and countless phone calls to customer support, the machine is still sitting in my house, failed promises to pick up the machine, no refund has been received. Their product is attractively priced but not worth the headache and hassle. Don’t bother with Echelon.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2021

I purchased the 50" mirror for my wife last Christmas. When doing you must purchase a subscription for $400. We received the mirror and tried to set it up a few weeks later. Try as we may would could not get activated. We could not get customer service. So, I bought another subscription, which worked to get it going. On Monday I contacted customer service and went over the issue with them. They helped me get the first subscription working and told me that they would refund the second one. To date and many, many, many, emails and calls, no refund. They sound all interested in helping you and rectifying the problem, then they just drop the ball and disappear TIME after TIME. These people are thieves, spend your money elsewhere!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2021

I had a membership for almost a year when my bike stopped working. Their warranty dept was really good. I received a replacement bike. The problems were with the membership. We wanted to switch to monthly. When we tried to do that we got a "stripe error" and it kept saying it didn't go through. I tried a couple of times. Well and I should have known I got charged twice. I called customer service supplied proof of double charge. Was told a credit would happen. No credit! Charged over a 100$ for one month. Throughout this whole thing no call from a IT dept telling me issue rectified. I cancelled account. I will never go back to them. Customer service reps were polite. But company not so much.

Original review: June 27, 2021

I received a defective bike and was told by customer service that I could return it for a full refund. This process has taken 6 months, multiple calls and e-mails, the company received the defective bike back and 2 months later I have STILL not received the refund. Every time I call I get a different excuse as to why the refund hasn't been processed. I finally checked in with the Better Business Bureau and saw 275 similar complaints! Do not use this company.

Echelon Company Information