Find a cord blood bank that meets your needs

Find a cord blood bank that meets your needs

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Viacord Reviews

Original review: June 24, 2019

I am so disappointed with this company. It really brings me to tears. One of the most important decisions I made when it comes to the future health and well being of my baby boy and I chose wrong. Being the fact that I myself have a history of a blood type cancer it was pretty obvious that I would preserve my baby’s blood. The courier that arrived to pick up the product was wearing basketball shorts and flip flops and had no ID, he was very unprofessional. It surprised me that a company as big as Viacord would allow that to be there face. My husband delivered the package to him unfortunately, if it were me I would never have left it with the courier. My husband asked the guy if he knew how to seal the package and he said no I have no clue. The guy was pretty gangster and even the hospital staff were surprised. My husband told me about this after he left so the next day I called Viacord to pay my bill and share my experience.

They were deeply concerned and said a manager would call me right away. After waiting 4 days I have gotten no such phone call. I was also told I would get a recipient 24 hours after the payment went through and that did not happen as well. Waited for the weekend to pass to see why I didn’t get a receipt nor a call from a manager, the rep said she notated on my account. When I asked her if they run blood type tests or anything that would indicate they actually got my blood she told they don’t do that and that I should rest assure knowing they have my blood (don’t understand how I can do that being the fact that they already made so many promises they did not follow through with). I will disputing their services unless I can get proof that they in fact hold my baby’s blood. Regardless I would stay away from this company. Seems like once they get you in they don’t care for maintaining a high level of customer service.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2008

My daughter subscribed to Viacord. GE Money Bank runs their billing/collect service for them. I signed as a co-signer for my daughter. I NEVER received a bill or anything stating that the account was past due. However, they reported this (my daughters' account), as again I am a Co-signer only and was NEVER billed, to the collection agency reflecting MY CREDIT!!!!! How can they report to the credit agency something they have NEVER even billed me for????

Then when I called to get this cleared up... first, I was insulted and told by someone named **, that tells me NOTHING of what the bill is for (I did not know it was for Viacord!) nor whose name it's in. But instead, she actually says to me that it is my husband's acct. and he's primary holder on acct. that you do not know about!!!!!! Can you believe this?? Her name was/is **.

After calling several times, I finally got someone who gave me the right info, but when I argued my point with her and asked to speak to a supervisor. She put me on Indefinite hold!! I called once again and before I could even explain anything, I was hung up on!! All the 'women' there were rude, had no knowledge nor clue as to WHAT was going on, nor did they barely speak or understand English as they ALL (and I am serious about the ALL) had accents. Once again, I called and a MAN answered who was actually polite, yet had no info to give me other than "No, we do not have the number for Viacord." I finally gave up and really got nowhere and never got the number for Viacord, so as to check the status of the cord viability and to see if I could take over the account IF the cord WAS viable!!??

Get expert buying tips about Cord Blood Banking delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Viacord expert review by Sandra Gordon

ViaCord is a cord blood company that has been in operation for more than 20 years. The company is part of PerkinElmer, a worldwide environmental and biological health company.

• Courier shipping: ViaCord uses a medical courier to pick up and deliver cord blood to ensure that it gets there safely, quickly and at the right temperature.

• Clinical experience: More doctors and researchers have used cord blood from ViaCord than any other private cord blood company; in fact, over 280 procedures have used cord blood from ViaCord.

• Medical success: The cord blood from ViaCord used in medical treatments has yielded nearly a 90 percent success rate in patients.

• Lab proximity to airport: ViaCord's processing and storage facilities are located close to the international airport in Cincinnati, expediting the process of delivering the blood.

• Outstanding security monitoring: ViaCord uses a three-level alarm system to monitor storage for temperature changes and an advanced security system to ensure tampering with any product is not possible.

• Best for: Families with a history of diseases, families who have just had a baby and families with an ailing member.

Profile picture of Sandra Gordon
      Sandra Gordon Parenting Products Contributing Editor

Specializing in health and medicine, Sandra Gordon has written extensively about cord blood banking for national and regional parenting magazines. She also has written about baby products, including breast pumps, for national and regional parenting magazines, blogs and books. Her work has appeared in hundreds of publications, including Parents, Prevention, Woman’s Day and Self. Gordon also appears on TV as a baby safety and money-saving expert. She is also the author of 10 books and the founder of babyproductsmom.com, a site dedicated to helping new parents gear up safely and within their budget.

Viacord Company Information