3.75/5
Based on 8 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

8 Cochlear Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 18, 2018

First they are compatible only with Apple. They should have used Bluetooth. Their implant is only compatible with Cochlear. They overcharge like crazy for simple parts. Pronto implants on the other hand is compatible with all phones and other hearing devices. They are customer friendly being an American company and do not charge a 1000% markup. Chose Pronto for a hearing implant.

Original review: July 7, 2018

I have no problems with the quality of sound with my Cochlear hearing aid when it works. However it seems every six months or so the thing quits. Cochlear has a racket going. At $750 a pop you can get a rejuvenated one that works. A new rechargeable battery is $250. If you want a unit that will use batteries it is $250. A cable is over $50. Of course you can buy insurance through them for over 800 a year. Their prices are criminal, but they have you because you're deaf without it. They prey upon us. They need more competition. I am going to check out Pronto.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 26, 2017

Without Cochlear I am unable to communicate with friends and family. I was hesitant at first being a little vain but now that I have it I can't imagine being without it. I wear it all the time no matter what my activity i.e. Golf, working in the yard and of course all social events.

Original review: July 23, 2017

It has allow me to hear again! I love being able to hear again. Cochlear products are great and they have great customer service. The wonderful local meeting in your area for support and you make a new friends as well.

Original review: July 21, 2017

I was able to hear my grand babies cry and my grandchildren singing!!! Also when I meet with my doctors and lawyers, I understand them better than wearing hearing aids.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cochlear?

Original review: July 20, 2017

The Cochlear implant works great. Two problems: No shutdown of outside noise using phone like hearing aids. Have to use moleskin to prevent hurting my ear. Has been a problem since purchase.

Original review: July 15, 2017

It's an ongoing process. It takes time to get used to it and learn how to make it work for you. There's adjustment and visits to the audiologist for testing. Overall I wish I had gotten the Cochlear implant sooner.

Original review: July 14, 2017

It's so powerful than hearing aids. I can hear about 75% without read lips. I was born deaf. Right 2001 and L 2011. I love Cochlear. My two children and husband are really pleased! Hopefully I get upgrade.

Cochlear expert review by Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.

Founded in Australia in 1981, Cochlear Limited is a leading cochlear implant manufacturer. It was the first company to receive FDA approval for implantation in adults and children the United States. In 1984, Cochlear introduced the first multichannel system to transmit multiple sound frequencies. More than 450,000 people have been implanted with Cochlear brand implants. The current model is known as the Cochlear™ Nucleus® System. Cochlear also offers a combined hearing aid and cochlear implant system called the Nucleus® Hybrid Implant System and a bone conduction system called the Baha® System.

• Smallest behind-the-ear cochlear processor: The Cochlear™ Nucleus® 6 Sound Processor is the smallest behind-the-ear cochlear implant processor. It uses dual microphones to minimize background noise for optimal sound quality.

• Discreet off-the-ear option: Cochlear implant users have the choice of an off-the-ear processor called the Kanso™, which was introduced in 2016. It is available in eight colors to match your hair or skin tone and is ideal for those who want a discreet option as well as those who wear glasses.

• Low profile: The internal stimulator or receiver is thin, so it creates less of a raised profile through the skin. This results in a device that sits closer to the scalp.

• Five year warranty: Each component of the Nucleus system comes with a comprehensive no-questions-asked five-year warranty, which covers the sound processor, coil, cable, magnet, remote, and battery holder and cover.

• BAHA implant options: Cochlear offers two BAHA implant options for people with conductive or mixed hearing loss: The Baha® Attract System leaves the skin intact, while the Baha® Connect uses a small abutment through the skin.

• Best for: children and adults with severe to profound sensorineural hearing loss and people with conductive or mixed loss that is not helped with hearing aids.

Profile picture of Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.
Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Rosemary Avance, Ph.D., uses her social science research background as a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team to help people make smart choices. She researches products, businesses and industries thoroughly, then passes on the most relevant and essential information for consumers looking to make important purchasing decisions.

Cochlear Company Information