Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.22/5

Benadryl Reviews

Original review: April 13, 2018

Benadryl Allergy Liquidgels - I am very upset I purchased this product at a Dollar General Store (I have since called and spoke with them didn't help much). I got the over the counter med for my mother, I got back and tried to give it to her that evening, the box was sealed good, no reason for suspect anything, I tore it open it had those foil packs where you punch the pill out every single place a pill could be was slit. There was NO Pills at all... Very upset. I believe this must have been shipped to the Dollar General. I have the lot number and expiration date 43539D 07/19.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2016

I buy mine at Walmart but it's available in most of the drug stores I've visited. I like the extended capsules and sometimes the liquid if I've got a sore or a tickle in my throat. It works, no matter the season or the symptoms. I would highly recommend. Treats the worst of my symptoms including sinus pressure and headaches, runny nose, watery, itchy eyes, sore throat, nasal and chest congestion. I prefer the extended capsules so I can take care of things during the day and sleep at night.

I've never had any real problems. Sometimes, it can make me drowsy but not enough to interfere with my daily life. I don't know anyone who uses it who's had any side effects and it's recommended by my doctor. It's a competitive price and at Walmart, the generic version of BENADRYL is less expensive than the "brand" names. I've never found any difference in the formula or how it works as compared to "brand" names. As a senior who takes allergy medicine quite a bit, especially in the winter and spring, it makes a difference to my fixed income.

Get expert buying tips about Allergy Medicine delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2016

Benadryl is the only product that relieves my allergies. I take it almost daily and not only does it help my allergies but it also allows me to get a good night's sleep. I won't buy any other product. I am allergic to pollen, dust, grass, cats, and pretty much everything outdoors. Taking Benadryl before going outside always helps me deal with these allergies. It makes me drowsy so I usually only take it before bed so I won't feel sleepy all day. It really helps though so I take it if I really need it. The price is reasonable and they offer coupons for Benadryl very often. Having a sale would help me stock up though so maybe one day they will offer a sale or something if I buy in bulk.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2016

It's always available in liquid of pills. I've never had a problem of it being out of stock. Walmart, CVS always carry but Dollar General harder to find. They run out. My eyes watery and itchy and throat scratchy and runny nose. With that feeling in the back of your throat that a cold is brewing. Along with post nasal drip down the throat. The one reason most buy it is because the side effect is drowsiness and helps you sleep which is why some buy it just to help sleep. Doesn't help you sleep whole night so dosage needs to be repeated. Price is fairly fair at Walmart and Dollar General but Walgreens is pretty high and CVS if no deal is running at the time. So use coupons if you can.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2016

When I'm sick with my allergy I take Benadryl and it put me to sleep and I'm able to sleep good for the night and wake up feeling 10 times better. You get stuffed up and head hurts bad, you can't smell anything or taste things sometime, when you have it take 1 or 2 pill to help you get better. It don't kick in right away, it take 15 to 30 minutes before the medicine kicks in, it best to take it at night and lay down for the night, the next day you should feel a lot better then. It usually cost $5 to buy it at Walgreens or Walmart, Benadryl comes in a pink box and you can find it in the allergy aisle at Walgreens store, and you might find a small box.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Benadryl?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2016

It is over the counter. I can find it in any drugstore no matter where I am. It's stocked in other stores like Walmart and Target. I never have to worry if I forget it when I am traveling. I have seasonal allergies in the spring and fall. I suffer badly from pollen and molds after a rainfall. I am so uncomfortable that I must take Benadryl to control these symptoms. The side effects include sleepiness. This is well documented. Obviously I don't take it when I need to drive. If I have to be active and alert I cannot take this medication. The price is high considering the variety of generics available. I have found high quality generics that are way less expensive than the brand so why would I pay so much more when I don't have to?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2016

It is available almost everywhere in different forms (pill, chewable, gel, liquid, etc). There is also a version available for almost all ages. Benadryl treated almost all symptoms associated with allergies: sneezing, itching, congestion, hives, cough, etc. Symptoms were targeted and treated immediately as if drug knew which areas to go to. Only major side effect I have ever experienced from Benadryl is drowsiness which can be serious throughout the day if you are somewhere you cannot lay down. Benadryl is relatively affordable depending on where it is bought. I prefer a dollar store or mass retailer like Walmart versus a pharmacy.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2016

Usually right in the middle of the shelf when you're looking for allergy meds - definitely look for the pink color on the package to make finding it even easier! I've never not been able to find it in a store when I've gone looking for it! All in all it's a pretty well rounded drug all things considered. Absolutely no side effects for me, including the often mentioned drowsiness, so I'm more than happy to take it any time I'm in the need of allergy relief no matter what else is going on in my life.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2016

My doctor had given me a prescription for my son's allergies which was Benadryl and it was available immediately. I was able to have the prescription filled at my local pharmacy. My son was plagued with hives and until he was tested we didn't know that he was allergic to grass, mold, mildew. Taking the Benadryl alleviated his hives until the next episode. I did not view any side effects. The Benadryl he took was in liquid form and he didn't even complain about its taste. The prescription worked! I would have paid anything but it's been over 45 years ago and I don't remember how much we paid for the prescription. He still has allergies but takes something much stronger than Benadryl.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2016

Benadryl has always been available just about everywhere that I shop which I really appreciate considering that my daughters can have severe allergic reactions that only Benadryl seems to work on. My youngest daughter has had extreme eczema and horrible rashes that will begin after she's been exposed to certain things. Benadryl has always worked well to halt the rash. My 11 year old daughter hasn't had any side effects other than feeling a little drowsy approximately an hour or so after taking the Benadryl. So far we have hadn't to deal with any bad side effects. Benadryl is reasonably priced which our large family of 8 really appreciates when we have to resort to purchasing over the counter medications. I'm thankful that this doesn't cost too much for us.

Is your car out of warranty?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right extended auto warranty for you.

Benadryl expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Benadryl Allergy is an antihistamine, and Benadryl’s Allergy/Cold formula is a combination antihistamine, analgesic and decongestant that is used for cold and allergy relief. The company has a range of products for adults and children, including tablets, liqui-gels, liquid, topical creams and gels.

• Find your product: Find the best Benadryl product for you on their website using their convenient filters. Filter by symptom and category to see which product is best for your needs.

• Print coupons: Print coupons for Benadryl products from home without signing up for an email list or newsletter.

• Allergy tips for kids: Learn the best ways to prevent and treat allergies in your children by reading Benadryl’s online resources. You can also learn to spot whether your child has a cold or allergies.

• Dye-free: Benadryl’s liqui-gels and liquid syrups are available in a dye-free formula, which means there are no colors added that might cause additional side effects.

• Effective at night: Benadryl can cause drowsiness, which some people may appreciate when they suffer from allergy symptoms at night. Note that the product should never be used as a sleep aid for adults or children, but rather that its formula will not prevent you from falling asleep.

• Best for: Benadryl is best for adults and children with colds, sinus pressure, allergy symptoms and/or itchy skin who do not need a non-drowsy formula.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team