toll free

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I read customer reviews about Americord and decided to bank my baby's cord blood as a precaution. I was being induced and Americord agreed to ship the kit to us quickly. Their cord blood specialist was very accommodating. He answered all of my questions and I had a good feeling. The process was simple and the paperwork was straightforward. Americord was professional, too.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We thought banking our baby’s cord blood is the kind of safety net we wanna have so my husband did a lot of research and called lots of places. We spoke with every single company but the person we spoke with at Americord was very thorough and answered all of our questions. Everything we heard from them made it sound like it was the best fit for what we were looking for. The fact that we went with them shows you how easy they made it for us and how informative it was. The cord blood specialists were fantastic and they were a big reason why we chose them. We had a fine experience and they're exactly what we were looking for.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We banked our baby's cord blood just in case anything happens to her and using Americord is a good peace of mind. My experience with them was very quick and easy. Working with their cord blood specialist was pretty straight forward. I didn't have any questions because they explained everything. The courier was way earlier than our scheduled pick up, so that was good. Moreover, the box was very well put together.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Americord gave me a discount for single pay and there was no monthly or annual charge. They also seemed to be the more reliable one when I looked up cord blood banks. However, when I first talked to them to get information, it was a very large sum of money to pay upfront. After that, I felt like they were calling almost every couple of days to see if I had decided, and I was getting annoyed. I finally told them that I would call when I was ready to go. When we finally made the decision to do that, they asked for a credit card number to verify funds. Then I asked them if I could change the card number for the charge when the cord blood was actually done, and they said yes.

When our baby was born, the cord tissue and cord blood were taken and everything was fine. Although iit's a very large amount of money, so I had wanted to talk to somebody about a payment plan. But then all of a sudden, the credit card that I had given them was charged when I didn't want that card charged. I called and talked to somebody with Americord who was very nice and sweet, saying he can "delete it off this", but I said no. I ended up calling my other credit card, where I wanted it put on. They gave me a different deal, so we ended up paying it off and I got charged a $40 transfer fee.

I also got an email that said it's been paid to my card. It was two days after the baby was born and we were still in the hospital so we got a lot of stuff going on. It would've been nice to be told that my card was going to be charged at the time. If somebody wanted to change their card, or if that card has been compromised for any reason, the charge would have gone haywire and Americord would have gotten rid of the cord blood. There should be an email that says the card is going to be charged this much on this date, and that they should be contacted within 48 hours if I need to make any changes.

The other thing was that there was such a time-sensitive thing. We had to call Americord within an hour of the baby being born. I understand that, but it was funny because I had my husband call since he had more access to a phone and I wasn’t about to get on the phone. He got a hold of them and we had to go through the whole thing. I set up the account so it was under my name, so he was asking me questions when it probably would have been easier for me to call.

But this was easily done and we got it all set up, and the lady who came and picked it up was real nice.

There were also two vials of my blood taken, which was fine. But the doctor said it seemed more complicated than the other packages, which means that other packages that they’d taken care of were not as thorough as Americord. It seemed like there was a lot of stuff that my doctor and the nurses had to do to get everything in. They’ve never had a package that asked for the mother’s blood to be taken, but as long as it’s done right and the lady definitely got enough cells and cord tissues, we’re set, and I’m totally happy with that.

Dear Theresa:

This is Martin Smithmyer, CEO of Americord. I very much appreciate your feedback and I'm sorry to hear that you had this experience with your hospital. It is our aim at Americord to help parents to bank as much of their cord blood, cord tissue, and placenta tissue as possible. Unfortunately, some hospitals still have out-of-date policies that make it difficult for parents to have their wishes fulfilled and it is often impossible for us to know in advance which hospitals they are. Our advocacy group here at Americord is working hard to educate policy makers, healthcare institutions, and health care professionals about the important uses and research involving stem cells and why it is critical that they partner with us and parents.

In light of your feedback, I have asked our staff at Americord to conduct a review of state law governing placenta tissue and we will, in the next few weeks, make available on our website materials that prospective parents can share with their hospitals and health care providers to make clear the benefits of placenta banking and also the rules that permit parents to take their placentas with them from the hospital. While I appreciate that this will not solve the problem in your case, I hope that it will help future parents avoid the difficulties that you experienced.

Congratulations to you and your family on your new addition. If you have any further need for help or would like to discuss this more, please feel free to contact us and mention this response.

Martin

CEO, Americord Registry LLC

Original review: Oct. 29, 2016

My god-sister uses Americord and recommended it to me. The representatives from the company explained everything, but I wasn't happy about how the hospital where I delivered my baby, didn't know how to save the placenta and keep it fresh, and so we couldn't get the placenta delivered on time. It had to be shipped within 24 hours, but the hospital could not release the placenta within a certain period of time. They couldn't use the placenta, and I was really looking forward to saving it, as well as my cord blood. It was supposed to help me in the future if I ever need it, but it went to waste. Also, Americord never informed me that there might be other hospitals that do not know, or wouldn't be able to release the placenta. If they had informed me, I would have made sure that I wouldn't go to certain hospitals to give birth.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Americord?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I did some research on the technology and we decided to bank our baby's cord blood. The lady at Americord was really helpful. I compared their prices to other ones and Americord's were good. The courier came right away to pick up the kit. Everything was easy, painless and good.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Americord didn't charge a banking fee. It was only one time for up to 18 years. I'm very happy with them. We have a history of POL in our family so we wanted to bank our baby's cord blood just in case. I called a week before my due date and they got the kit to me in time. They're very fast. Also, their courier was very prompt in picking up the kit. In addition, I had a very good experience with the blood cord specialist.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Although I don't have any family history of anything or any concern, banking my baby's cord blood might be a good gift for my baby. Compared to other companies, Americord's price is reasonable. The specialist collected the cord blood. However, the courier who picked up the kit didn't come on the same day, but the next day, and I was concerned that the blood has been spoiled.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I received an email with a coupon for Americord from WhatToExpect. I decided to bank my baby’s cord blood for medical reasons and I wanted to have some type of insurance for the long-term. The person who answered my call was amazing and really nice. I liked that it was a one-time payment for the whole thing, including the 18-year storage. And it was easy. The only thing is that when we called to have it picked up at the hospital, it took a while for them to get there. We had to call again because it was almost past the two-hour mark and we were worried that it might affect in some way. But other than, it was great.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My experience with Americord was good. I liked their deal with the one-time payment and its long-term benefits for my baby’s cord blood. Their reps were friendly and provided the right information.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We have diabetes and ALS that run in our family. And right now with research and technology moving forward, I felt like it's a good thing to have Americord for our future. My mother-in-law purchased it for us as a gift. It's something I definitely wanna have for my child and for our family. We're very satisfied and we love it. It was quick, easy, and a great experience overall. I would definitely recommend it.

Hi Melada,

I wanted to personally thank you for choosing Americord. I am thrilled that you had a great experience and that you’ve shared your story with us. It has been my company’s mission from the moment I started Americord to make sure we provide the absolute best experience and quality. Thank you again for your kind words and for being part of our Americord family!

Martin Smithmyer, CEO & Founder, Americord Registry

Original review: Sept. 18, 2016

My doctor had a few list of companies with my first child, so I went online and did some research. I ended up choosing Americord because it's cheaper, and I read good reviews about them. So when I had my second child, I also used them. I like that they have the discount for the sibling. Because I wasn't sure if we're gonna go for the same company with our second child, the discount helped us decide. Everything went well when I dealt with their rep. And the carrier came in very fast to pick up the kit. Overall, I'd recommend them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I'm paranoid about all these crazy things that could go wrong, so I did a little bit of research on the different things that are being done with cord blood these days. There are really astounding things that can be treated using that and I'm hoping that we continue to do amazing things with it. Americord was less expensive compared to other blood banks and I liked the fact that I could do the whole 20 years instead of having to pay something every single year. I waited until the last moment to pull the trigger on it. It was really easy to sign up and to set up. I was really pleased with the whole process and it was really fast too. It was also great with the rep.

They were able to ship it to me and I got it the next day or maybe one day later, so it's good. My husband took the kit down to a different area of the hospital to drop it off. Once it was given to the staff at the hospital, I didn't have to think another thing of it. Scheduling the pickup was painless, too, and they came the next morning. It was one of the things that you buy and you hope you never have to use. It was a good experience, that's why I've recommended Americord.

Hello Kyle,

Thank you so very much for your message. I am so very happy to hear that your experience has been so positive. Thank you again for your kind words and for being part of our Americord family!

Martin Smithmyer, CEO & Founder, Americord Registry

Original review: Sept. 14, 2016

I decided to bank with Americord because of pre-existing family conditions and health issues that we were nervous about. The rep that we talked to was the one that finally sold us because he was really nice and professional. Everyone else has been easy to deal with.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My bank, OBGYN, was talking about different options for blood cords. The only reason that Americord caught my attention was that they are collecting not only blood cords, but also amniotic tissue. There are three different specimen that they pick up but there is not too much use besides the blood cord itself. But I thought that in the future, scientist may find a need. I personally believe that the stem cells are the only solution in so many medical problems in the very close future. I really wanted to have mine banked for any upcoming use. The person that we dealt with over the phone was an old lady, but she was so sweet, very understanding, and knowledgeable.

We didn't have so much done with Americord. We just received the kit and gave it to the doctor who collected the samples, then Americord's staff came and picked it up. That's the whole experience we have with them. I like Americord. I hope there is never ever a need medically to pull them out for treatment on my children. Until that happens, I cannot tell how organized and excellent Americord is. But just for the collection part so far, I think it was good. Nothing extra special, but I couldn't expect anything more or less than what I saw.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Americord gave us more options for less price so we went with them. They came and dropped the kit off at the hospital and then came back to pick it up. I recommend them all the time to my family and friends who I know is giving birth.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Americord was more economical than other banks and they also have tissue banking. They're a newer company than the others that had been around since 90’s but it wasn’t a problem with our doctors. It was easy working with them. I did all the paperwork and my husband worked with the cord blood specialist.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Americord had an all-inclusive cost for 20 years of storage. The cord blood specialist was very nice and helpful.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We thought it would be best to bank our baby's cord blood as an extra insurance policy because she's an IVS baby and it's possible that whenever we’ll have any other children we have only one or even an embryo left. We went with Americord because it had better customer service and price than other companies. I also felt more comfortable with the person that I talked to at Americord. She was extremely helpful in answering my questions and made herself very available to me if I had any additional ones. There was a company that was cheaper, but the person on the phone was not very engaged and they didn’t seem to care.

Americord's courier came the next day and my husband just met them downstairs at the hospital. I was happy with the discount coupons. There was an app that I used to track my pregnancies and because of that I was able to have a $300 discount. That was a great deal, and I'm very appreciative of that. Americord has met my expectations and I'd recommend it to anyone who’s going to have a child.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I don’t like the idea of uncertainties, so if banking my baby's cord blood could potentially save his life, it didn’t make sense for me to pass up on it. It gives me peace of mind. Every person that I’ve spoken to was so helpful and kind that I didn’t feel pressured at any point into having to choose them. I felt a sense of comfort and that I was genuinely cared about. When I spoke to a representative I felt I got more information and the pricing was much better than any other banking options. The cord blood specialist was very informative and answered my questions at any time. I emailed him on a Sunday, it was five o'clock and I did not expect a response at all, but he called me back within five minutes.

Our whole experience was very professional. Everything went very smoothly. We contacted them as soon as we had the baby and the courier service came right away. My husband dealt with them because I was breastfeeding at the time, but they came right to our room at the hospital and they were quick. They came and collected the content. My sister-in-law is expecting in October and I had recommended that she use them because everything was taken care of.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

When I was doing my research, I found that Americord was more affordable and they store the cord blood longer than some of the other banks that I was looking at. I wanted to offer the cord blood to my little girls in case they'd need it for anything. Since there was so much benefit, I took advantage of banking it. I talked to my husband and we decided to go ahead and move forward with it. Their rep was great and it was very easy working with them. Everything that she described was exactly what I experienced. The packages came in the mail very quickly and I also received follow-up emails in case I got rushed to the hospital and had forgotten about it.

They definitely made sure I had the package. Everything was labeled correctly. The hospital didn’t have any issues with getting all the material together. Americord came and picked up everything at the hospital. They even contacted me to let me know the stats of my two baby girls. Everyone I have encountered was very nice and they gave me good information. Our overall experience was great and everybody has been very helpful in making the process very seamless and easy, especially during that time when there’s a lot of things going on in regards to having children.

Hi Darcy.

This is Martin Smithmyer, CEO of Americord. I'm sorry to hear that you had this experience. It is our aim to provide the absolute best client service and so we take this feedback very seriously. In reviewing your feedback, we noticed that your baby was born very close to the 6 pm cut-off time to make the last flight to the lab for the day. In these instances, we typically schedule the courier pick-up for the next available flight, which can be the next day at times. The other option would be to pick up the kit right away and hold it at the airport, but we feel that it is better to have the parents hold onto it in this case. I would like to also reassure you that our collection kits are designed to safely store stem cells for up to 72 hours and that your newborn’s stem cells were thoroughly tested and safely processed and stored without any incident.

We sincerely thank you for your review and as a result of your feedback, our customer service team will now review courier scheduling with parents as part of our new client onboarding process.

We also completely understand that every new parent has a preferred contact method and try to use it whenever possible. As you can imagine, many parents prefer to not be bothered with phone calls soon after the birth, but I can completely see how this would also be preferred. We typically reach out by both phone and email to give parents the option of responding at their convenience, but will review our processes on this as well.

Congratulations to you and your family on your newborn. If you have any further need for help, please feel free to contact us and reference this feedback.

Best,

Martin

Original review: July 27, 2016

I was expecting for pickup to happen within a few hours of delivery, but was rescheduled for the following morning. Also, I recorded emails wanting to confirm baby's name, but would have preferred a phone call to discuss any additional information.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

For future proofing in case anything should happen in the future to our first child or any other children we may have, we decided to bank our baby’s cord blood. We wanted the optionality of having the blood there to help assist in any procedures or different medical aspects that may help solve any issues. Americord has a better overall value price-wise with the included 20 years of cord blood banking. Also, they were able to store more blood than the other banks since their storage bags and mechanisms allow a larger volume. Additionally, their reps were great to work with. The courier showed up quickly in the room and picked up the kit. Everything has been great so far and we’re very happy with them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Based on the price and everything that they offered, we decided on Americord, and it seems like it’s a good value. We were trying to bank blood but we didn’t get enough, so we did the tissue because it would be good in the long run. It could help if we needed it, and there's also the potential that it would be able to help out our other children as well.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We figured banking our baby's cord blood was a good idea in case anything happens. My brother had cancer when he was 5, so we just want to make sure we had option in case anything should ever happen to the baby. And Americord seems like the best cord bank that had the entrance fee and which is active for 20 years. I have a problem with my bank and Americord gave me options to wait and pay for it and they’d set it off for a few days. It was a good experience. Everyone was really nice to talk to and helpful.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

With Americord, I get to pay one fee instead of through the years. Their specialist who sold me the package was fabulous. I love her and she was part of the reason I chose them. She was very friendly and knowledgeable. She gave me good examples of what could be done with the cord blood and the tissue. My husband helped me pick up the kit. I didn’t bank my seven-year-old and he ended up with autism and there was nothing I could do about it. And I wasn’t going to make the same mistakes with this baby.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I went with Americord mainly for the placenta banking since I can't find any other place that does that. Also, their ratings and reviews online compared to the others were way beyond in comparison. The cord blood rep answered any questions that I had. He gave me a number or email if I needed to contact back about any information I might want to ask about later.

I used the bank for our fourth child. It's our last. I wanted to do it with all of my kids and I work in the medical field. I deal with ultrasound and I know how important it is to have something like that if you can have access to it. There are so many diseases that it's already helping and so many diseases that have the potential of being cured by it in the years to come. It's worth making the extra money to have it because 20 years down the road I'm sure there’ll be a lot more things that it can help with. I loved it. Additionally, the nurse staff at the hospital had never seen or use that one before and she loved how efficient they were. She complimented it. The only thing is that I haven’t heard back about any information about what was collected, but other than that, everything has been great.

Question and Answers - Americord

What problem is Americord trying to solve?

Americord is working to improve lives in ways that would not otherwise be possible. We focus on cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue banking innovations that provide more treatment options for newborns and their families.

For example, our proprietary Cord Blood 2.0™ technology preserves up to twice as many stem cells, making it possible to treat larger patients and expand treatment opportunities for smaller patients. This is crucial because traditional cord blood banking often collects only enough stem cells to treat a child under 65 pounds. Americord expands treatment options to patients weighing up to 165 pounds.

What sets Americord apart from the competition?

Americord offers the broadest and most technologically advanced product line in the industry. Our focus is on providing more treatment options for clients by combining innovative technology and white-glove care for superior value.

We are the only company that offers Cord Blood 2.0™ technology that collects up to twice as many stem cells as the industry average.  In addition, we are one of very few companies that offer expertise in three stem cell products - cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue. We are also one of only two companies that offer a collection kits approved by the FDA for c-sections.

We are committed to the highest levels of customer service, with 24/7 availability and white-glove care, including bedside pickup service by the medical courier. For mothers in early labor or last minute stem cell banking decisions, our AmericordRush™ program offers same-day delivery of the Americord Collection Kit at no extra cost.

We allow parents to decide what to bank right up until delivery, with our 3-in-1 Collection Kit for the collection of cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue. Expectant parents can reserve a kit and then return it free of charge as their plans change. There are with no cancellation fees, no annual storage fees and no withdrawal fees.

What needs does Americord fulfill, and how does Americord fulfill those needs better than your competition?

Americord’s mission is to provide the highest quality services, at the lowest possible cost, while supporting unique and innovative ways to improve the therapeutic utility of cord blood and tissue stem cells to improve patients’ lives. We invest in the future of stem cell banking so that families and their loved ones will have peace of mind. We actively explore innovative collection, transportation, processing and storage technologies to improve yields and viability to ensure the best possible results for our customers and the medical community.

We operate to the highest ethical standards in the industry and are committed to complete customer satisfaction. We thoroughly test every collection, and if the yield falls below the recommended minimum standards, we don’t charge parents who elect to forgo storage. In addition, we don’t offer incentives to the medical community to steer patients to Americord, preferring that patients make an unbiased assessment of the best stem cell bank for their needs.

We have the highest quality guarantee in the industry at $90,000, eliminate all hidden fees, and offer a risk-free cancellation policy.

How does Americord measure success?

Our clients entrust us with their most valuable medical assets, and we take this trust seriously. We measure success by customer satisfaction and regularly solicit feedback to ensure our products and services fully meet or exceed their expectations. We also benchmark our stem cell yields to ensure they deliver on our promise of achieving twice the industry average. In 2016, we recorded our highest cord blood collection volume and TNC count of 183 ml and two billion TNCs, respectively.

What’s the most common misconception consumers have about cord blood banking?

Expectant parents often have questions about the types stem cells that can be collected and stored and the potential different stem cells hold for future medical treatments for their growing families.

A newborn’s umbilical cord contains two types of stem cells – hematopoietic stem cells (HSCs) and mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs). HSCs stem cells are programmed to become red and white blood cells. Medical science has found ways to use their natural abilities to treat over 80 disease of the blood like leukemia. MSCs, on the other hand, develop into muscle cells, bone cells, cartilage cells and fat cells. MSCs are considered essential to the future of regenerative medicine.

How has cord blood banking changed in the last 5 years?

Over the last five years, scientific breakthroughs in regenerative medicine and stem cells have raised awareness and interest in umbilical cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue banking. At the same time, expectant parents can be overwhelmed by an influx of cord blood banking companies with confusing claims, complicated offers and aggressive marketing tactics. As the industry evolves, it has never been more important for expectant parents to find a reliable source of unbiased information to ensure they make the most informed choice for their important medical assets.

What is something you wish every consumer knew about Americord?

Americord is rooted in a firm set of values. Our purpose is to improve lives and change the world. Our core values support our purpose and define how we manage and successfully grow our business.

• Customers: We strive to serve and provide value to our customers, faithfully and consistently. This commitment is foundational to our success.

• Employees: We encourage an ownership mentality, treat others with respect, provide opportunities for learning and growth and challenge to be their best selves.

• Integrity: We treat all we encounter fairly and with integrity.

• Innovation: We constantly improve strategy, products, operations, ourselves, sales talking points, marketing and financial performance, and our internal processes, with the aim of challenging ourselves to leave the organization better off tomorrow than it was yesterday.

• Learning: We instill a culture of learning and growth.

• Community: We engage with the local community, advancing important technologies and being generally charitable and helpful to others.

These values are more than just words, they inform everything we do.

Has Americord received any rewards or recognition for its products or services that your customers would like to know about?

Americord is AABB and FDA accredited and we have an FDA accredited collection bag. We have an A+ Better Business Bureau rating. Americord is also licensed in all states that require licensure for cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue banking.

How has your company grown?

Americord’s superior technology, focus on customer service and engrained set of values has made it the fastest growing cord blood bank in the United States. As a result, the company has been listed on the Inc. 5000 List of the fastest growing private companies in America for the past two years.

Americord Company Profile