Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I have a very positive experience with Americord. I didn't have to do a monthly payment. I could just do it all at once. Also, if we didn't gather enough we wouldn't have a fee for having used them, so that was nice. The lady who initially helped us was very nice and she didn't make me feel like just a customer. She was very genuine and interested in what we're doing. Also, their staff who got the kit was very punctual. The only hiccup was when I was charged to the wrong card because we had two cards on file. My father wanted us to bank our baby's cord blood because he thought that the technology for using cord blood cells is advancing quite quickly and he wanted to provide an extra measure of protecting his grandson.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I compared the cost, quality and the varieties of the samples they can store, and I think Americord is a good choice. They were good, efficient and timely. I request it on the night before I delivered, and everything just went so well and timely with great speed. I was very happy with that. Someone called me describing the samples sent over, including the numbers and quantities, but it would be great if they could send a copy of this to me.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We researched for the cord banks and found that there were more options with Americord. When we compared it with other banks, the difference was they extracted twice the number. One thing that we had a little bit of problem was when our baby was born, they were really late in picking up the package. It was in the evening and we had talked to them about that beforehand and they had assured us that someone would come and pick it up in the evening, but no one showed up. So we had to follow up a couple of times as it was a deadline. Eventually, they did send someone but it was after a lot of calls. We were dealing with so many other things, and it would have been really good if someone would have taken care of it without us following up four times.

We made some changes before the collection, and they were very quick in doing that. Since I had registered, I would get quick response and emails with the follow-up. So that was really good. When I had a question and called them, they were really nice and explained to me the detail. They took care of it. That's what stood out for me. The representatives were really good and they always talk in a nice manner. Overall, I’m really confident and hopeful that the decision that I took is good.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

With my age I wanted to make sure I have a healthy baby so I got in touch with Americord. Just in case anything happens, I have an alternative and I feel more secure. My contact person at Americord was wonderful. Every time I talked to her, she answered all my questions. I had problems with the carrier picking up the specimen. We had to call several times before they answered. We had trouble getting them to come out to the house. Then I called my contact person from Americord and she took care of it. She made it very, very comfortable for me and easy and she's the reason I would recommend them to any of my family or friends that want to save their baby's cord.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I decided to bank my baby's cord for the future so that if anything happens, I can use that one. I have searched and found good reviews on Americord. Their specialist suggested a lot of stuff and even if I approached at the last minute I still got back with them immediately. It's very easy to get information and get things done. The process of getting the kit and sending it was also very easy and quick. And the overall experience with the equipment and the people that I talked to was very good. I'd recommend them to friends.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Americord?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

With what we've been reading lately and the fact that banking our baby's cord is an option now, we thought we might as well try it. It can't hurt. Our Americord specialist was great and was quick to follow-up. The experience was really good and it was very easy to have the kit picked up by the courier. However, it would help if there was something written on the outside of the box on what the nurses have to do before delivery. We didn’t open the box until after the baby was born, and there was a few things to do right before, but it worked out fine.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We liked the objectives of Americord and we have gone through their track with the cord for the past few years. Also, the price they offered was better compared to other banks. We googled about Americord and other banks and we've heard the research of Americord in maintaining the bank are better than the other ones in the market.

Their specialist explained to us what it was and how it will benefit us when we got ill in the future. They explained the importance of this banking of cord blood. They were good at it and it was very helpful. Something happened with the courier, though. He went back and he came, but otherwise, it was easy-going. Everything was good and we're very satisfied. If we were planning for a second child, we're going on to Americord. We recommend Americord to our friends and family.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I have a son with autism and there's ongoing research on attempts to use the umbilical cord to remove or to ease out autism issues with the kids. So, we decided to bank our baby's cord blood because it's a hope against hope, and I'm just hoping this could help my son. We went with Americord because of the cheapness of the service and the availability of the kit on short notice. When we went to the hospital, I didn't know that they will have the kit available. Americord was the only one that was providing it right away. Other providers were taking 48 hours to deliver the kit.

We had a fairly good experience with Americord. They provided us with the kit right away with all the necessary documents and requirements, and the handling was good, too. I delivered the kit to Americord because, as per the hospital's rules, the kit needs to be delivered by the person requiring the service, and it was fine.

The only problem I have with them right now is that they haven't provided me with the certificate yet, which is quite a worry to me, and I have followed up with them twice this month. The baby was delivered in the second week of September. There was some delay from my side, too, since there was some document that needed to be signed by my wife, which I provided to them after a month. So, by the end of October, everything was sorted out. But now it's the start of December and I haven't received the certificate from them yet, and they've been charging me for the past three or four months now. Nevertheless, despite the delay, I would still recommend them, due to the availability of the kit and the fast delivery option without charging extra money for it. Overall, it was nice, easy, convenient, and cost-effective with Americord.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I read customer reviews about Americord and decided to bank my baby's cord blood as a precaution. I was being induced and Americord agreed to ship the kit to us quickly. Their cord blood specialist was very accommodating. He answered all of my questions and I had a good feeling. The process was simple and the paperwork was straightforward. Americord was professional, too.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We thought banking our baby’s cord blood is the kind of safety net we wanna have so my husband did a lot of research and called lots of places. We spoke with every single company but the person we spoke with at Americord was very thorough and answered all of our questions. Everything we heard from them made it sound like it was the best fit for what we were looking for. The fact that we went with them shows you how easy they made it for us and how informative it was. The cord blood specialists were fantastic and they were a big reason why we chose them. We had a fine experience and they're exactly what we were looking for.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We banked our baby's cord blood just in case anything happens to her and using Americord is a good peace of mind. My experience with them was very quick and easy. Working with their cord blood specialist was pretty straight forward. I didn't have any questions because they explained everything. The courier was way earlier than our scheduled pick up, so that was good. Moreover, the box was very well put together.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Americord gave me a discount for single pay and there was no monthly or annual charge. They also seemed to be the more reliable one when I looked up cord blood banks. However, when I first talked to them to get information, it was a very large sum of money to pay upfront. After that, I felt like they were calling almost every couple of days to see if I had decided, and I was getting annoyed. I finally told them that I would call when I was ready to go. When we finally made the decision to do that, they asked for a credit card number to verify funds. Then I asked them if I could change the card number for the charge when the cord blood was actually done, and they said yes.

When our baby was born, the cord tissue and cord blood were taken and everything was fine. Although iit's a very large amount of money, so I had wanted to talk to somebody about a payment plan. But then all of a sudden, the credit card that I had given them was charged when I didn't want that card charged. I called and talked to somebody with Americord who was very nice and sweet, saying he can "delete it off this", but I said no. I ended up calling my other credit card, where I wanted it put on. They gave me a different deal, so we ended up paying it off and I got charged a $40 transfer fee.

I also got an email that said it's been paid to my card. It was two days after the baby was born and we were still in the hospital so we got a lot of stuff going on. It would've been nice to be told that my card was going to be charged at the time. If somebody wanted to change their card, or if that card has been compromised for any reason, the charge would have gone haywire and Americord would have gotten rid of the cord blood. There should be an email that says the card is going to be charged this much on this date, and that they should be contacted within 48 hours if I need to make any changes.

The other thing was that there was such a time-sensitive thing. We had to call Americord within an hour of the baby being born. I understand that, but it was funny because I had my husband call since he had more access to a phone and I wasn’t about to get on the phone. He got a hold of them and we had to go through the whole thing. I set up the account so it was under my name, so he was asking me questions when it probably would have been easier for me to call.

But this was easily done and we got it all set up, and the lady who came and picked it up was real nice.

There were also two vials of my blood taken, which was fine. But the doctor said it seemed more complicated than the other packages, which means that other packages that they’d taken care of were not as thorough as Americord. It seemed like there was a lot of stuff that my doctor and the nurses had to do to get everything in. They’ve never had a package that asked for the mother’s blood to be taken, but as long as it’s done right and the lady definitely got enough cells and cord tissues, we’re set, and I’m totally happy with that.

Dear Theresa:

This is Martin Smithmyer, CEO of Americord. I very much appreciate your feedback and I'm sorry to hear that you had this experience with your hospital. It is our aim at Americord to help parents to bank as much of their cord blood, cord tissue, and placenta tissue as possible. Unfortunately, some hospitals still have out-of-date policies that make it difficult for parents to have their wishes fulfilled and it is often impossible for us to know in advance which hospitals they are. Our advocacy group here at Americord is working hard to educate policy makers, healthcare institutions, and health care professionals about the important uses and research involving stem cells and why it is critical that they partner with us and parents.

In light of your feedback, I have asked our staff at Americord to conduct a review of state law governing placenta tissue and we will, in the next few weeks, make available on our website materials that prospective parents can share with their hospitals and health care providers to make clear the benefits of placenta banking and also the rules that permit parents to take their placentas with them from the hospital. While I appreciate that this will not solve the problem in your case, I hope that it will help future parents avoid the difficulties that you experienced.

Congratulations to you and your family on your new addition. If you have any further need for help or would like to discuss this more, please feel free to contact us and mention this response.

Martin

CEO, Americord Registry LLC

Original review: Oct. 29, 2016

My god-sister uses Americord and recommended it to me. The representatives from the company explained everything, but I wasn't happy about how the hospital where I delivered my baby, didn't know how to save the placenta and keep it fresh, and so we couldn't get the placenta delivered on time. It had to be shipped within 24 hours, but the hospital could not release the placenta within a certain period of time. They couldn't use the placenta, and I was really looking forward to saving it, as well as my cord blood. It was supposed to help me in the future if I ever need it, but it went to waste. Also, Americord never informed me that there might be other hospitals that do not know, or wouldn't be able to release the placenta. If they had informed me, I would have made sure that I wouldn't go to certain hospitals to give birth.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I did some research on the technology and we decided to bank our baby's cord blood. The lady at Americord was really helpful. I compared their prices to other ones and Americord's were good. The courier came right away to pick up the kit. Everything was easy, painless and good.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Americord didn't charge a banking fee. It was only one time for up to 18 years. I'm very happy with them. We have a history of POL in our family so we wanted to bank our baby's cord blood just in case. I called a week before my due date and they got the kit to me in time. They're very fast. Also, their courier was very prompt in picking up the kit. In addition, I had a very good experience with the blood cord specialist.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Although I don't have any family history of anything or any concern, banking my baby's cord blood might be a good gift for my baby. Compared to other companies, Americord's price is reasonable. The specialist collected the cord blood. However, the courier who picked up the kit didn't come on the same day, but the next day, and I was concerned that the blood has been spoiled.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I received an email with a coupon for Americord from WhatToExpect. I decided to bank my baby’s cord blood for medical reasons and I wanted to have some type of insurance for the long-term. The person who answered my call was amazing and really nice. I liked that it was a one-time payment for the whole thing, including the 18-year storage. And it was easy. The only thing is that when we called to have it picked up at the hospital, it took a while for them to get there. We had to call again because it was almost past the two-hour mark and we were worried that it might affect in some way. But other than, it was great.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My experience with Americord was good. I liked their deal with the one-time payment and its long-term benefits for my baby’s cord blood. Their reps were friendly and provided the right information.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We have diabetes and ALS that run in our family. And right now with research and technology moving forward, I felt like it's a good thing to have Americord for our future. My mother-in-law purchased it for us as a gift. It's something I definitely wanna have for my child and for our family. We're very satisfied and we love it. It was quick, easy, and a great experience overall. I would definitely recommend it.

Hi Melada,

I wanted to personally thank you for choosing Americord. I am thrilled that you had a great experience and that you’ve shared your story with us. It has been my company’s mission from the moment I started Americord to make sure we provide the absolute best experience and quality. Thank you again for your kind words and for being part of our Americord family!

Martin Smithmyer, CEO & Founder, Americord Registry

Original review: Sept. 18, 2016

My doctor had a few list of companies with my first child, so I went online and did some research. I ended up choosing Americord because it's cheaper, and I read good reviews about them. So when I had my second child, I also used them. I like that they have the discount for the sibling. Because I wasn't sure if we're gonna go for the same company with our second child, the discount helped us decide. Everything went well when I dealt with their rep. And the carrier came in very fast to pick up the kit. Overall, I'd recommend them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I'm paranoid about all these crazy things that could go wrong, so I did a little bit of research on the different things that are being done with cord blood these days. There are really astounding things that can be treated using that and I'm hoping that we continue to do amazing things with it. Americord was less expensive compared to other blood banks and I liked the fact that I could do the whole 20 years instead of having to pay something every single year. I waited until the last moment to pull the trigger on it. It was really easy to sign up and to set up. I was really pleased with the whole process and it was really fast too. It was also great with the rep.

They were able to ship it to me and I got it the next day or maybe one day later, so it's good. My husband took the kit down to a different area of the hospital to drop it off. Once it was given to the staff at the hospital, I didn't have to think another thing of it. Scheduling the pickup was painless, too, and they came the next morning. It was one of the things that you buy and you hope you never have to use. It was a good experience, that's why I've recommended Americord.

Hello Kyle,

Thank you so very much for your message. I am so very happy to hear that your experience has been so positive. Thank you again for your kind words and for being part of our Americord family!

Martin Smithmyer, CEO & Founder, Americord Registry

Original review: Sept. 14, 2016

I decided to bank with Americord because of pre-existing family conditions and health issues that we were nervous about. The rep that we talked to was the one that finally sold us because he was really nice and professional. Everyone else has been easy to deal with.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My bank, OBGYN, was talking about different options for blood cords. The only reason that Americord caught my attention was that they are collecting not only blood cords, but also amniotic tissue. There are three different specimen that they pick up but there is not too much use besides the blood cord itself. But I thought that in the future, scientist may find a need. I personally believe that the stem cells are the only solution in so many medical problems in the very close future. I really wanted to have mine banked for any upcoming use. The person that we dealt with over the phone was an old lady, but she was so sweet, very understanding, and knowledgeable.

We didn't have so much done with Americord. We just received the kit and gave it to the doctor who collected the samples, then Americord's staff came and picked it up. That's the whole experience we have with them. I like Americord. I hope there is never ever a need medically to pull them out for treatment on my children. Until that happens, I cannot tell how organized and excellent Americord is. But just for the collection part so far, I think it was good. Nothing extra special, but I couldn't expect anything more or less than what I saw.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Americord gave us more options for less price so we went with them. They came and dropped the kit off at the hospital and then came back to pick it up. I recommend them all the time to my family and friends who I know is giving birth.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Americord was more economical than other banks and they also have tissue banking. They're a newer company than the others that had been around since 90’s but it wasn’t a problem with our doctors. It was easy working with them. I did all the paperwork and my husband worked with the cord blood specialist.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Americord had an all-inclusive cost for 20 years of storage. The cord blood specialist was very nice and helpful.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We thought it would be best to bank our baby's cord blood as an extra insurance policy because she's an IVS baby and it's possible that whenever we’ll have any other children we have only one or even an embryo left. We went with Americord because it had better customer service and price than other companies. I also felt more comfortable with the person that I talked to at Americord. She was extremely helpful in answering my questions and made herself very available to me if I had any additional ones. There was a company that was cheaper, but the person on the phone was not very engaged and they didn’t seem to care.

Americord's courier came the next day and my husband just met them downstairs at the hospital. I was happy with the discount coupons. There was an app that I used to track my pregnancies and because of that I was able to have a $300 discount. That was a great deal, and I'm very appreciative of that. Americord has met my expectations and I'd recommend it to anyone who’s going to have a child.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I don’t like the idea of uncertainties, so if banking my baby's cord blood could potentially save his life, it didn’t make sense for me to pass up on it. It gives me peace of mind. Every person that I’ve spoken to was so helpful and kind that I didn’t feel pressured at any point into having to choose them. I felt a sense of comfort and that I was genuinely cared about. When I spoke to a representative I felt I got more information and the pricing was much better than any other banking options. The cord blood specialist was very informative and answered my questions at any time. I emailed him on a Sunday, it was five o'clock and I did not expect a response at all, but he called me back within five minutes.

Our whole experience was very professional. Everything went very smoothly. We contacted them as soon as we had the baby and the courier service came right away. My husband dealt with them because I was breastfeeding at the time, but they came right to our room at the hospital and they were quick. They came and collected the content. My sister-in-law is expecting in October and I had recommended that she use them because everything was taken care of.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

When I was doing my research, I found that Americord was more affordable and they store the cord blood longer than some of the other banks that I was looking at. I wanted to offer the cord blood to my little girls in case they'd need it for anything. Since there was so much benefit, I took advantage of banking it. I talked to my husband and we decided to go ahead and move forward with it. Their rep was great and it was very easy working with them. Everything that she described was exactly what I experienced. The packages came in the mail very quickly and I also received follow-up emails in case I got rushed to the hospital and had forgotten about it.

They definitely made sure I had the package. Everything was labeled correctly. The hospital didn’t have any issues with getting all the material together. Americord came and picked up everything at the hospital. They even contacted me to let me know the stats of my two baby girls. Everyone I have encountered was very nice and they gave me good information. Our overall experience was great and everybody has been very helpful in making the process very seamless and easy, especially during that time when there’s a lot of things going on in regards to having children.

Hi Darcy.

This is Martin Smithmyer, CEO of Americord. I'm sorry to hear that you had this experience. It is our aim to provide the absolute best client service and so we take this feedback very seriously. In reviewing your feedback, we noticed that your baby was born very close to the 6 pm cut-off time to make the last flight to the lab for the day. In these instances, we typically schedule the courier pick-up for the next available flight, which can be the next day at times. The other option would be to pick up the kit right away and hold it at the airport, but we feel that it is better to have the parents hold onto it in this case. I would like to also reassure you that our collection kits are designed to safely store stem cells for up to 72 hours and that your newborn’s stem cells were thoroughly tested and safely processed and stored without any incident.

We sincerely thank you for your review and as a result of your feedback, our customer service team will now review courier scheduling with parents as part of our new client onboarding process.

We also completely understand that every new parent has a preferred contact method and try to use it whenever possible. As you can imagine, many parents prefer to not be bothered with phone calls soon after the birth, but I can completely see how this would also be preferred. We typically reach out by both phone and email to give parents the option of responding at their convenience, but will review our processes on this as well.

Congratulations to you and your family on your newborn. If you have any further need for help, please feel free to contact us and reference this feedback.

Best,

Martin

Original review: July 27, 2016

I was expecting for pickup to happen within a few hours of delivery, but was rescheduled for the following morning. Also, I recorded emails wanting to confirm baby's name, but would have preferred a phone call to discuss any additional information.

Question and Answers - Americord

What problem is Americord trying to solve?

Americord is working to improve lives in ways that would not otherwise be possible. We focus on cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue banking innovations that provide more treatment options for newborns and their families.

For example, our proprietary Cord Blood 2.0™ technology preserves up to twice as many stem cells, making it possible to treat larger patients and expand treatment opportunities for smaller patients. This is crucial because traditional cord blood banking often collects only enough stem cells to treat a child under 65 pounds. Americord expands treatment options to patients weighing up to 165 pounds.

What sets Americord apart from the competition?

Americord offers the broadest and most technologically advanced product line in the industry. Our focus is on providing more treatment options for clients by combining innovative technology and white-glove care for superior value.

We are the only company that offers Cord Blood 2.0™ technology that collects up to twice as many stem cells as the industry average.  In addition, we are one of very few companies that offer expertise in three stem cell products - cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue. We are also one of only two companies that offer a collection kits approved by the FDA for c-sections.

We are committed to the highest levels of customer service, with 24/7 availability and white-glove care, including bedside pickup service by the medical courier. For mothers in early labor or last minute stem cell banking decisions, our AmericordRush™ program offers same-day delivery of the Americord Collection Kit at no extra cost.

We allow parents to decide what to bank right up until delivery, with our 3-in-1 Collection Kit for the collection of cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue. Expectant parents can reserve a kit and then return it free of charge as their plans change. There are with no cancellation fees, no annual storage fees and no withdrawal fees.

What needs does Americord fulfill, and how does Americord fulfill those needs better than your competition?

Americord’s mission is to provide the highest quality services, at the lowest possible cost, while supporting unique and innovative ways to improve the therapeutic utility of cord blood and tissue stem cells to improve patients’ lives. We invest in the future of stem cell banking so that families and their loved ones will have peace of mind. We actively explore innovative collection, transportation, processing and storage technologies to improve yields and viability to ensure the best possible results for our customers and the medical community.

We operate to the highest ethical standards in the industry and are committed to complete customer satisfaction. We thoroughly test every collection, and if the yield falls below the recommended minimum standards, we don’t charge parents who elect to forgo storage. In addition, we don’t offer incentives to the medical community to steer patients to Americord, preferring that patients make an unbiased assessment of the best stem cell bank for their needs.

We have the highest quality guarantee in the industry at $90,000, eliminate all hidden fees, and offer a risk-free cancellation policy.

How does Americord measure success?

Our clients entrust us with their most valuable medical assets, and we take this trust seriously. We measure success by customer satisfaction and regularly solicit feedback to ensure our products and services fully meet or exceed their expectations. We also benchmark our stem cell yields to ensure they deliver on our promise of achieving twice the industry average. In 2016, we recorded our highest cord blood collection volume and TNC count of 183 ml and two billion TNCs, respectively.

What’s the most common misconception consumers have about cord blood banking?

Expectant parents often have questions about the types stem cells that can be collected and stored and the potential different stem cells hold for future medical treatments for their growing families.

A newborn’s umbilical cord contains two types of stem cells – hematopoietic stem cells (HSCs) and mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs). HSCs stem cells are programmed to become red and white blood cells. Medical science has found ways to use their natural abilities to treat over 80 disease of the blood like leukemia. MSCs, on the other hand, develop into muscle cells, bone cells, cartilage cells and fat cells. MSCs are considered essential to the future of regenerative medicine.

How has cord blood banking changed in the last 5 years?

Over the last five years, scientific breakthroughs in regenerative medicine and stem cells have raised awareness and interest in umbilical cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue banking. At the same time, expectant parents can be overwhelmed by an influx of cord blood banking companies with confusing claims, complicated offers and aggressive marketing tactics. As the industry evolves, it has never been more important for expectant parents to find a reliable source of unbiased information to ensure they make the most informed choice for their important medical assets.

What is something you wish every consumer knew about Americord?

Americord is rooted in a firm set of values. Our purpose is to improve lives and change the world. Our core values support our purpose and define how we manage and successfully grow our business.

• Customers: We strive to serve and provide value to our customers, faithfully and consistently. This commitment is foundational to our success.

• Employees: We encourage an ownership mentality, treat others with respect, provide opportunities for learning and growth and challenge to be their best selves.

• Integrity: We treat all we encounter fairly and with integrity.

• Innovation: We constantly improve strategy, products, operations, ourselves, sales talking points, marketing and financial performance, and our internal processes, with the aim of challenging ourselves to leave the organization better off tomorrow than it was yesterday.

• Learning: We instill a culture of learning and growth.

• Community: We engage with the local community, advancing important technologies and being generally charitable and helpful to others.

These values are more than just words, they inform everything we do.

Has Americord received any rewards or recognition for its products or services that your customers would like to know about?

Americord is AABB and FDA accredited and we have an FDA accredited collection bag. We have an A+ Better Business Bureau rating. Americord is also licensed in all states that require licensure for cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue banking.

How has your company grown?

Americord’s superior technology, focus on customer service and engrained set of values has made it the fastest growing cord blood bank in the United States. As a result, the company has been listed on the Inc. 5000 List of the fastest growing private companies in America for the past two years.

Americord Company Profile