Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We were at the OB-GYN's office for one of our first visits and I happened to pick up Americord's brochure and started looking at it. I shared it with my husband and he got really interested. He figured that technology and healthcare are moving so fast that it was not a bad idea to have something on hand. And so, we decided to bank our baby's cord blood.

The woman from Americord whom I spoke to on the phone was amazing. I started filling out some of the paperwork and then got distracted because I was at work. I put it off to the side for a bit then they called me and helped me go through the entire process. She gave me information about the special that they were running at the time and took care of everything within ten minutes.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I saw cord blood banking on Americord's app and went for it. I gave them a call to set up a payment plan. I chose them after reading a lot about it. They ended up taking the samples relatively quickly. The customer service people are really nice and they were better than what my friend had.

I had a great experience with Americord. All representatives were very helpful and always nice. They provide all instructions over the phone + you receive them with the kit. I delivered my boy at night and they picked up the package first thing in the morning and helped to complete the form. So, I would definitely recommend them. Great work guys! Keep it the same way!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We had done our research but hadn't decided on if we would store but we reached out the day before we were supposed to check in to have our little girl and Americord overnighted us the collection package along with everything we needed and clear instructions. We decided to go ahead and do it so we went over everything with the nurse when we arrived in the hospital and thankfully they had done it before so it was a pretty easy process. After our girl was born the doctor and nurses collected everything and we packaged it up and called to have it picked up. Shortly after a courier picked everything up and it was off to be stored.

Our OB did charge us for the collection however Americord gave us back $200 of that which was almost the whole cost! Americord's process was very easy to follow and we didn't have any issues which was nice because the day was really all about mom and baby. We are very happy with how everything went and although we hope to never need the samples it's very reassuring to know that they are there and available should a need arise!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I have no issues with Americord. I used them for banking purposes and it has met my expectation. The storage was already included with the price. I had a very good experience working with the blood cord specialist and the courier was prompt. But they should make their website in which you have an account with friendlier like being able to change payment options and those types of things.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We’ve been hearing about the new thing that once we save cord blood, it’ll change a lot of things in the future. This is gonna be our last chance so we decided to go ahead and save the cord blood. Americord was responsive so, we decided to go ahead and do it with them. We initially called them and they responded to give me all the options we have and how much it will cost. We decided on what options we would like to go pickup and once we received the kit, we had to take it to the hospital. We got things taken care of. It was really expensive compared to the other cord blood we had but they did a pretty good job.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Americord?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I liked Americord's reputation and that they take double the amount of the blood. We also got recommendations for them from other people. I know from past experience with someone else that they are very reliable. I am 30 years old and when I was younger, a lot of these things were not available. Now, there is research and things have gone on, how it can save a life or help other family members. So, my main thing was at least I have a little bit of a security that it can help my family members and me if ever needed.

Americord's price was amazing while most companies want to hurt you with the price that they give you. They are doing a great job and with the availability of baby’s cord blood, I can call and I always get my questions answered. Also, the courier who picked up the kit went out of his way to come to the hospital room and gather everything for us and go over the process with us. It was easy and there was very little explaining needed. I've recommended Americord to quite a few people.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We got Americord for cord blood banking, so that in the future, if we need it, we can use it. They were very fast and on time. They sent the kit quickly and the overall experience was very good.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I did some research and Americord was recommended as a good one for cord blood banking. My husband called them and they seem okay. They provided the information that we need. I view it as a long term. So, we banked with our first baby, and this is the second one.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We decided to take our baby's cord blood as were concerned about the risk of leukemia in the family since my wife's sister had leukemia. Americord had more collection options available, besides the standard umbilical cord blood, than other companies. They also had a good pricing option and were able to deliver the kit very fast because our son was born a month early. We didn’t have a kit then but they were able to get it to us within an hour. The woman who I talked to on the phone was very good and helpful and was able to give us a good discount and payment terms. She sent the collection kit in an Uber from New York City to make it in time, so the experience was really good.

One thing Americord can improve on would be having a user portal. I pay the bill but there’s nothing else after that to confirm everything was collected. We're just counting on them to be there the next however many years we want them to be there for us. So, after the initial contact, besides the monthly bill, there's nothing else to the service.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Americord was less expensive so I went with them. Also, I liked what the woman had suggested about saving other things aside from the cord blood. We decided to do the placenta as well. I was a high-risk patient and our doctor recommended that I bank my baby's cord blood. It was due to my family history and me having Crohn's disease. He said that there's been much success in that area and so, we decided to do it.

My experience with Americord's specialist was wonderful. We went in-depth with my medical history which I appreciated very much. They made it very easy and convenient. We didn't have to worry about a thing once Stratton was born. It was really nice. I had a C-section so I wasn't around when the courier came. But, my husband said his experience was fantastic. The courier met him and dropped off the kit. All in all, it was easier said than done. The benefits are going and I hope more people do it. Better be safe than sorry. It's great and we appreciate everything.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I thought of banking my baby's cord blood in the event that it could be of benefit for some major health problem in the future. I found Americord online and they seemed to be a newer company but professionally run and fairly priced. The cord blood specialist was very personable, and the courier who picked up the kit was great. We've had a good experience with Americord.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs

Hi,

This is Martin Smithmyer, Founder and CEO of Americord. Thank you sincerely for your feedback. I value your post since it allows us to reflect on our performance and improve where necessary. We are truly sorry that you experienced any difficulty with our service. We strive for excellence with every client interaction.

One of our Company's Core Values is 'Taking Care of Our Customers', and throughout our organization, we view this to be more of a priority than any financial metric. Unless we faithfully serve our clients, we cannot be successful as an organization, or true to who we are

We’ve reviewed your records and can confirm that we received, processed, and safely stored your child's stem cells. I’ve been informed that your Certificate of Storage with all your account information has been resent and your stem cells are available should your family ever need them.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. If you would like to have a call to discuss this further, please free to call 866-503-6005 and ask for my assistant Ayanna; she will arrange it.

Martin Smithmyer

Original review: May 4, 2017

I spent $7000 and have nothing to show for it. Not even a certificate proving they still have my sample. I have a feeling I will have to sue to get my money back when I need something I banked and it has mysteriously disappeared.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Americord was one of the cheaper ones when I signed up. They gave me $500 off and I like the fact that I can never pay a yearly storage fee. My oldest son is on the autism spectrum and Americord had done recent autism research. Because of some of the positive results they have gotten, I went with the cord tissue too instead of just the cord blood. I don’t worry about my youngest son now, but you just never know. I would recommend Americord.

Hi Jennifer,

This is Martin Smithmyer, the CEO of Americord. Let me first thank you for your thoughtful words regarding your experience with Americord. I commend you on your research process. It can be daunting, as there are numerous resources that explain the benefits, options, and the process of cord blood banking. I hope you found our Topic Center full of valuable information for your research. We work hard to make the research process as easy as possible on our website because we understand that having a baby is a stressful time and we want to do whatever we can to ease the burden.

Americord prides itself on our ability to provide convenient one-time payments for our affordable, high-quality product for a number of reasons. We do not pay doctors a referral fee we, do not employ a large pharma-rep type sales staff and do not have the excessive budgets that go along with supporting that. We simply pass the savings on directly to the client. We feel it is important to offer the option of cord blood banking to every family.

Thank you for taking the time to provide this valuable feedback.
Sincerely,

Martin Smithmyer

Original review: April 16, 2017

The research in cord blood and the possibilities in the future of using it for different things that our son might encounter are so vast. We felt we would lose the opportunity to try it. One only gets one chance to do it and our son can't do it when he's 14 so we felt that was a worthy insurance policy. There are a lot of banks out there. We looked into those other banks and Americord was the one that said, "If you pay us once, we'll never charge you again." We like that because we didn't want to be billed every year, though it also makes it a little more expensive than some of the other banks. But we're happy so far. The process was also easy. The cord blood specialist was very respectful and she answered all our questions.

Hi Nuttanun,
This is Martin Smithmyer, the CEO of Americord. Let me first thank you for your kind words regarding the quality of the service you received from the courier. We work hard to make sure that our teams make things as easy as possible. I have passed along your comments to the courier team and they are very thankful of your feedback.

Americord’s 3-in-1 Collection Kit provides all the tools for physicians and nurses to perform a complete collection, including the maternal blood draw. We are sorry that you experienced difficulty with the collection process while at the hospital.

Americord continues to work with physicians and other industry professionals on the benefits to collecting stem cells for future use and common practices associated with our services. We do not currently aid in the process, but appreciate your feedback and will work towards a smoother series of processes for performing the maternal health draw and cord blood collection.

Thank you for taking the time to provide this valuable feedback.

Original review: April 13, 2017

We are in the medical field and we think that our baby's cord blood might be helpful in the future for certain diseases. The pickup was quick and the courier was right on time. And then we tried to reach out to see if there is anybody from Americord to come and take blood for us even if it's not part of the treatment because the nurse at the hospital refused to do that. But Americord didn't have anybody to come out. My husband is a physician so he was able to draw blood for me. Other than the blood drawing problem, everything was great.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had my first child two years ago, and Americord had the best plan for our needs that time. I did it for the first one, and usually whatever I have for the first one is for the sibling, so I decided to go ahead and do my second child as well for the older sibling to be protected. The specialist was very helpful. And because they had all my information, he got everything set up in less than 20 minutes. He was perfect.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

If I had any questions with anything, the people at Americord answered it. So far, I'd recommend them. I’ve done research and I know cord blood banking could be helpful. It's an extra precaution in case I need it. It’s my first baby, so I’m trying to do everything.

Hi Carol,
This is Martin Smithmyer, the CEO of Americord. Firstly, I’d like to thank you for your kind word and valuable feedback. We work hard to make sure that our cord blood specialists and customer service representatives make things as easy as possible for expectant families.

I am, however, sorry and disappointed that you experienced difficulty with the viability of your maternal blood sample. This can happen when a blood sample is collected upon arrival at the hospital and labor continues for an extended period of time and then transit time to the lab. The sample is tested upon arrival at our lab for viability. If the sample is deemed to be not viable for testing, we do send a second kit within 7 days. This would allow you to collect a new blood sample at your next doctor’s appointment. That kit is sent to and from via FedEx overnight for expedited delivery on both ends. If you don not receive your maternal blood draw kit soon, please reach out to a client service associate and we can take care of it right away.

Once again thank you for your feedback. We seek to offer excellent customer service in every interaction with our clients!
Sincerely,

Martin Smithmyer

Original review: March 14, 2017

Ultimately we wanted our babies to have an option if they have an illness. And if we found out that it’s anything that’s blood-borne type of illness then it’s the sibling’s blood that can help. We banked our first daughter’s so we wanted to bank our second baby’s as well. So if it’s something that comes to that, we hope that it could help. A friend of mine recommended Americord to us. The cord blood specialist was friendly and knowledgeable. When we decided very late to do it for our second child, the specialist was really good at getting the kit to us. It was good before and after collecting the blood however, I had a bit of trouble afterwards with the followup. I got an email saying that the maternal blood was not a viable sample, and then they were going to send me another kit. They said they did but I never got it and nobody ever followed up on it. I’m assuming right now that that is not necessary, so I just let it be because I was busy.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

They were upfront at Americord and they have the monthly payments later on. Everyone was very friendly too. We used Americord in 2013 and we had a good experience so we did it again in 2016. In both instances, the process was pretty easy. So far, it's been a good experience and hopefully, they keep an excellent customer service when we need them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Americord's cord blood specialist was wonderful and the person I worked with was really easy-going. She was there to answer a lot of questions so I really enjoyed having her as the go-to person. My experience has been perfect so far, although I haven't had to collect my samples. It's been easy and I have peace of mind.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I'd rather pay for an actual physical health insurance in addition to a traditional one, so I decided to bank my baby's cord blood. To me, it's the best. And because of their pricing, I used Americord. My experience with their rep was great so I had no worries. I just had my baby, and I didn't know what was happening but everything was taken care of. Overall, my experience has been simple, easy and worry-free.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Americord was the first company I called and the lady who I spoke to was so helpful and wasn’t pushy. I was undecided then but she answered my questions, gave me some additional information and let me get off the phone. I found out that I needed to have a C-section earlier than my due date. So I called Wednesday and I was due to have the C-section on Monday. She was so helpful. I had tons of questions and she answered all of them. And whenever I was confused by that information she clarified it for me. I told her that I had to talk to my husband and I’d give her a call back. She took my credit card number then, that way we could just call and if we wanted it, everything was there.

I called Friday and told her yes and we had the package the next day. So it was real nice. My doctor said she doesn’t usually do the Americord ones so she had to read the direction to make sure she’s got everything right. And she said that everything was thought out wonderfully. Even after everything was banked, there was a question that they had regarding the history that I had filled out. They had called me and they were really understanding with that. So I had to call them back with more information. I would recommend Americord.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I wanted to have the cord blood as a safety net in case our child had anything that was wrong with her later on so I used Americord. One of my close friend's daughters got cancer and I was researching it while I was pregnant that it's one of the cancers for which stem cells can be used for.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The Americord rep we've spoken to made our experience easy, really straightforward and we only spoke a couple of times. They answered all our questions and we felt confident moving forward. We're comfortable knowing that that blood is in storage if we need it and that we have the access to it. The only slightly negative experience I had during the process was the follow-up. It wasn’t as clearly communicated as I would have liked when our credit card was charged and what the next steps were when they received the blood and that everything was okay. We had to reach out proactively to make sure that they had everything they needed after we sent it in. We weren't updated and would have liked a little more prompt response from them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My husband and I read as many reviews as we could and decided on Americord based on those we read online. At the very beginning, they had called several times and kept wanting information then when they sent the agreement, it wasn't full agreement and there was a misspelling on the name. We had to send it back then they resent it. There were a few snags and that prolonged the process making me feel tired dealing with it. But I was also very pertinent at that time and I was very happy with them, overall. They sent the kit in a timely fashion. As far as from that end, everything went smooth. If we have a second kid I would go through them again.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Americord was featured on my Ovia app and I decided to use them because it’s good to have some insurance in life. Their specialist was superb. I had my baby at 6:00 at night and I followed their instructions. My sister called and they said when they’d be coming so we kept the kit with us at our bedside. Their courier was here first thing in the morning and picked it up. He was excellent. Overall, it was wonderful and I hope one day it’s more affordable for everybody to do it because I really think that everybody should save their baby’s cord and tissue.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I love Americord. The customer service has been fantastic and they followed up on both with email and with phone calls which were very helpful. They followed up after they received all of our blood and tissue, and they also let me know exactly how much they were able to bank and how much we sent. It was all successful.

Dear Maria,

This is Martin Smithmyer, the CEO of Americord. I am sorry that you were dissatisfied with the service that you received; we strive to provide five star customer service from the moment you consider banking stem cells all the way through to the time that you might access them. Clearly, we did not live up to our own high standards in this case. I have looked into your situation and would be happy to discuss why only two products were banked. Out of respect for your privacy, I cannot do so in this response but I would encourage you to call me at (888) 652-5631 and I can provide you with a full explanation.

As for the failure to spell your daughter's name correctly, that is completely unacceptable and I have spoken with my customer service team to make sure it is rectified. The baby's name is input into our computer system from a handwritten form that is completed at the time of birth and human error can occur during the transcription. I have emphasized to my team that errors in the child's name, while they occur for the most innocent of reasons, can appear to be particularly insensitive. In light of your comments, my team are now implementing a procedure where additional checks on spellings of names are made before certificates of storage are issued.

Thank you for banking with Americord.

Martin

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

I decided to bank my daughter's cord blood just in case if I need something. I made order for three but they only saved for two. Then they spelled the name of my daughter wrong.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I'm very satisfied with my experience with Americord and I've already recommended them. At first, I didn't like the guy that I spoke to so I called Americord and asked to speak to someone else. The next person that I talked to made me comfortable, and she was really helpful and very caring. She explained very well to me so that I understood exactly how their process worked and that made all the difference. The courier who picked up the collection kit seemed very confused so the whole process became a little cumbersome. He didn't know where the hospital was and he kept calling all the time. It was really annoying when you're postpartum. But I'm sure it worked out because they sent the confirmation email and let me know what was collected and how much they got out of it. I want protection for the future of my baby but I hope that I'll never have to use it.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I have a very positive experience with Americord. I didn't have to do a monthly payment. I could just do it all at once. Also, if we didn't gather enough we wouldn't have a fee for having used them, so that was nice. The lady who initially helped us was very nice and she didn't make me feel like just a customer. She was very genuine and interested in what we're doing. Also, their staff who got the kit was very punctual. The only hiccup was when I was charged to the wrong card because we had two cards on file. My father wanted us to bank our baby's cord blood because he thought that the technology for using cord blood cells is advancing quite quickly and he wanted to provide an extra measure of protecting his grandson.

Question and Answers - Americord

What problem is Americord trying to solve?

Americord is working to improve lives in ways that would not otherwise be possible. We focus on cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue banking innovations that provide more treatment options for newborns and their families.

For example, our proprietary Cord Blood 2.0™ technology preserves up to twice as many stem cells, making it possible to treat larger patients and expand treatment opportunities for smaller patients. This is crucial because traditional cord blood banking often collects only enough stem cells to treat a child under 65 pounds. Americord expands treatment options to patients weighing up to 165 pounds.

What sets Americord apart from the competition?

Americord offers the broadest and most technologically advanced product line in the industry. Our focus is on providing more treatment options for clients by combining innovative technology and white-glove care for superior value.

We are the only company that offers Cord Blood 2.0™ technology that collects up to twice as many stem cells as the industry average.  In addition, we are one of very few companies that offer expertise in three stem cell products - cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue. We are also one of only two companies that offer a collection kits approved by the FDA for c-sections.

We are committed to the highest levels of customer service, with 24/7 availability and white-glove care, including bedside pickup service by the medical courier. For mothers in early labor or last minute stem cell banking decisions, our AmericordRush™ program offers same-day delivery of the Americord Collection Kit at no extra cost.

We allow parents to decide what to bank right up until delivery, with our 3-in-1 Collection Kit for the collection of cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue. Expectant parents can reserve a kit and then return it free of charge as their plans change. There are with no cancellation fees, no annual storage fees and no withdrawal fees.

What needs does Americord fulfill, and how does Americord fulfill those needs better than your competition?

Americord’s mission is to provide the highest quality services, at the lowest possible cost, while supporting unique and innovative ways to improve the therapeutic utility of cord blood and tissue stem cells to improve patients’ lives. We invest in the future of stem cell banking so that families and their loved ones will have peace of mind. We actively explore innovative collection, transportation, processing and storage technologies to improve yields and viability to ensure the best possible results for our customers and the medical community.

We operate to the highest ethical standards in the industry and are committed to complete customer satisfaction. We thoroughly test every collection, and if the yield falls below the recommended minimum standards, we don’t charge parents who elect to forgo storage. In addition, we don’t offer incentives to the medical community to steer patients to Americord, preferring that patients make an unbiased assessment of the best stem cell bank for their needs.

We have the highest quality guarantee in the industry at $90,000, eliminate all hidden fees, and offer a risk-free cancellation policy.

How does Americord measure success?

Our clients entrust us with their most valuable medical assets, and we take this trust seriously. We measure success by customer satisfaction and regularly solicit feedback to ensure our products and services fully meet or exceed their expectations. We also benchmark our stem cell yields to ensure they deliver on our promise of achieving twice the industry average. In 2016, we recorded our highest cord blood collection volume and TNC count of 183 ml and two billion TNCs, respectively.

What’s the most common misconception consumers have about cord blood banking?

Expectant parents often have questions about the types stem cells that can be collected and stored and the potential different stem cells hold for future medical treatments for their growing families.

A newborn’s umbilical cord contains two types of stem cells – hematopoietic stem cells (HSCs) and mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs). HSCs stem cells are programmed to become red and white blood cells. Medical science has found ways to use their natural abilities to treat over 80 disease of the blood like leukemia. MSCs, on the other hand, develop into muscle cells, bone cells, cartilage cells and fat cells. MSCs are considered essential to the future of regenerative medicine.

How has cord blood banking changed in the last 5 years?

Over the last five years, scientific breakthroughs in regenerative medicine and stem cells have raised awareness and interest in umbilical cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue banking. At the same time, expectant parents can be overwhelmed by an influx of cord blood banking companies with confusing claims, complicated offers and aggressive marketing tactics. As the industry evolves, it has never been more important for expectant parents to find a reliable source of unbiased information to ensure they make the most informed choice for their important medical assets.

What is something you wish every consumer knew about Americord?

Americord is rooted in a firm set of values. Our purpose is to improve lives and change the world. Our core values support our purpose and define how we manage and successfully grow our business.

• Customers: We strive to serve and provide value to our customers, faithfully and consistently. This commitment is foundational to our success.

• Employees: We encourage an ownership mentality, treat others with respect, provide opportunities for learning and growth and challenge to be their best selves.

• Integrity: We treat all we encounter fairly and with integrity.

• Innovation: We constantly improve strategy, products, operations, ourselves, sales talking points, marketing and financial performance, and our internal processes, with the aim of challenging ourselves to leave the organization better off tomorrow than it was yesterday.

• Learning: We instill a culture of learning and growth.

• Community: We engage with the local community, advancing important technologies and being generally charitable and helpful to others.

These values are more than just words, they inform everything we do.

Has Americord received any rewards or recognition for its products or services that your customers would like to know about?

Americord is AABB and FDA accredited and we have an FDA accredited collection bag. We have an A+ Better Business Bureau rating. Americord is also licensed in all states that require licensure for cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue banking.

How has your company grown?

Americord’s superior technology, focus on customer service and engrained set of values has made it the fastest growing cord blood bank in the United States. As a result, the company has been listed on the Inc. 5000 List of the fastest growing private companies in America for the past two years.

Americord Company Profile