Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Americord was featured on my Ovia app and I decided to use them because it’s good to have some insurance in life. Their specialist was superb. I had my baby at 6:00 at night and I followed their instructions. My sister called and they said when they’d be coming so we kept the kit with us at our bedside. Their courier was here first thing in the morning and picked it up. He was excellent. Overall, it was wonderful and I hope one day it’s more affordable for everybody to do it because I really think that everybody should save their baby’s cord and tissue.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I love Americord. The customer service has been fantastic and they followed up on both with email and with phone calls which were very helpful. They followed up after they received all of our blood and tissue, and they also let me know exactly how much they were able to bank and how much we sent. It was all successful.

Resolution In Progress

Dear Maria,

This is Martin Smithmyer, the CEO of Americord. I am sorry that you were dissatisfied with the service that you received; we strive to provide five star customer service from the moment you consider banking stem cells all the way through to the time that you might access them. Clearly, we did not live up to our own high standards in this case. I have looked into your situation and would be happy to discuss why only two products were banked. Out of respect for your privacy, I cannot do so in this response but I would encourage you to call me at (888) 652-5631 and I can provide you with a full explanation.

As for the failure to spell your daughter's name correctly, that is completely unacceptable and I have spoken with my customer service team to make sure it is rectified. The baby's name is input into our computer system from a handwritten form that is completed at the time of birth and human error can occur during the transcription. I have emphasized to my team that errors in the child's name, while they occur for the most innocent of reasons, can appear to be particularly insensitive. In light of your comments, my team are now implementing a procedure where additional checks on spellings of names are made before certificates of storage are issued.

Thank you for banking with Americord.

Martin

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

I decided to bank my daughter's cord blood just in case if I need something. I made order for three but they only saved for two. Then they spelled the name of my daughter wrong.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I'm very satisfied with my experience with Americord and I've already recommended them. At first, I didn't like the guy that I spoke to so I called Americord and asked to speak to someone else. The next person that I talked to made me comfortable, and she was really helpful and very caring. She explained very well to me so that I understood exactly how their process worked and that made all the difference. The courier who picked up the collection kit seemed very confused so the whole process became a little cumbersome. He didn't know where the hospital was and he kept calling all the time. It was really annoying when you're postpartum. But I'm sure it worked out because they sent the confirmation email and let me know what was collected and how much they got out of it. I want protection for the future of my baby but I hope that I'll never have to use it.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I have a very positive experience with Americord. I didn't have to do a monthly payment. I could just do it all at once. Also, if we didn't gather enough we wouldn't have a fee for having used them, so that was nice. The lady who initially helped us was very nice and she didn't make me feel like just a customer. She was very genuine and interested in what we're doing. Also, their staff who got the kit was very punctual. The only hiccup was when I was charged to the wrong card because we had two cards on file. My father wanted us to bank our baby's cord blood because he thought that the technology for using cord blood cells is advancing quite quickly and he wanted to provide an extra measure of protecting his grandson.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Americord?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I compared the cost, quality and the varieties of the samples they can store, and I think Americord is a good choice. They were good, efficient and timely. I request it on the night before I delivered, and everything just went so well and timely with great speed. I was very happy with that. Someone called me describing the samples sent over, including the numbers and quantities, but it would be great if they could send a copy of this to me.

Hi Priyanka,

This is Martin Smithmyer, the CEO of Americord. Let me first thank you for your kind words regarding the quality of the service you received prior to the collection. We work hard to make sure that our cord blood specialists and customer service representatives make things as easy as possible because we understand that having a baby is a stressful time and we want to do whatever we can to ease the burden. I have passed along your comments to the cord blood specialists and they are very appreciative of your feedback.

I am, however, sorry and disappointed that the pickup service did not rise to the same level of excellence. As a general matter, there is a window of about forty-eight hours within which the cord blood collection kit has to arrive at our laboratory. Nonetheless, we strive to pick up the kit as soon as possible after birth both to maximize the amount of time we have to transport the kit and also to make sure that our customers have one less thing to worry about when they are supposed to be enjoying the precious first moments with their newborn. Our procedure also anticipates that parents will only have to make one call to arrange the pick up at which point an estimate of when the pickup will occur is given. The fact that this procedure failed in your case is entirely unacceptable to me. Our courier is actually a third party with whom we contract to ensure that we can provide service nationwide. I have communicated with them regarding the importance of providing accurate estimates to parents as to when kits will be collected and to update parents if those estimates turn out to be inaccurate. It should never be necessary for a parent to make more than one telephone call to us; if there are any changes to estimates, the burden is on us to communicate that to our customers, not the other way around. Again, I sincerely apologize and I hope that I have assured you that we are working to make sure that such problems do not occur again. If you would like to discuss this matter further, please do not hesitate to contact me at (888) 652-5631.

Thank you for choosing to bank with Americord.

Martin

Original review: Dec. 18, 2016

We researched for the cord banks and found that there were more options with Americord. When we compared it with other banks, the difference was they extracted twice the number. One thing that we had a little bit of problem was when our baby was born, they were really late in picking up the package. It was in the evening and we had talked to them about that beforehand and they had assured us that someone would come and pick it up in the evening, but no one showed up. So we had to follow up a couple of times as it was a deadline. Eventually, they did send someone but it was after a lot of calls. We were dealing with so many other things, and it would have been really good if someone would have taken care of it without us following up four times.

We made some changes before the collection, and they were very quick in doing that. Since I had registered, I would get quick response and emails with the follow-up. So that was really good. When I had a question and called them, they were really nice and explained to me the detail. They took care of it. That's what stood out for me. The representatives were really good and they always talk in a nice manner. Overall, I’m really confident and hopeful that the decision that I took is good.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

With my age I wanted to make sure I have a healthy baby so I got in touch with Americord. Just in case anything happens, I have an alternative and I feel more secure. My contact person at Americord was wonderful. Every time I talked to her, she answered all my questions. I had problems with the carrier picking up the specimen. We had to call several times before they answered. We had trouble getting them to come out to the house. Then I called my contact person from Americord and she took care of it. She made it very, very comfortable for me and easy and she's the reason I would recommend them to any of my family or friends that want to save their baby's cord.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I decided to bank my baby's cord for the future so that if anything happens, I can use that one. I have searched and found good reviews on Americord. Their specialist suggested a lot of stuff and even if I approached at the last minute I still got back with them immediately. It's very easy to get information and get things done. The process of getting the kit and sending it was also very easy and quick. And the overall experience with the equipment and the people that I talked to was very good. I'd recommend them to friends.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

With what we've been reading lately and the fact that banking our baby's cord is an option now, we thought we might as well try it. It can't hurt. Our Americord specialist was great and was quick to follow-up. The experience was really good and it was very easy to have the kit picked up by the courier. However, it would help if there was something written on the outside of the box on what the nurses have to do before delivery. We didn’t open the box until after the baby was born, and there was a few things to do right before, but it worked out fine.

Dear Sruth,

This is Martin Smithmyer, the CEO of Americord. Thank you very much for your kind words and I am thrilled to hear that you would recommend us to your friends and family. Unlike other cord blood banks, which pay doctors to recommend their services, at Americord we believe that we can win customers and their trust in the ethical, honest way: by providing the best product, the best service, and the best price. Recommendations and referrals from existing customers just goes to prove that our straightforward, transparent approach is working. Also, please note that we have a new referral program that gives customers who refer new clients to us with a gift card and gives the new customer a discount! I very much hope that you can take advantage of this new opportunity.

I am, however, sorry that there were problems with the courier. We contract with a third party to provide our courier services so that we can provide our products nationwide. Nonetheless, because they are our vendor, I take full responsibility for any problems that you experienced with them. I am a little unsure precisely what the problem you experienced was. If you could contact me at (888) 652-5631 and provide me with more details, I will instruct my client services department to launch an investigation to make sure that the difficulties you experienced are not repeated. Also, it is worth noting that, since you had your baby, we have actually changed the courier with which we work. We did so because, in part, we are committed at Americord to using only the very best possible third party contractors as part of our overarching commitment to providing the very best possible service from the moment you begin considering cord blood banking, through the collection process, the stem cell extraction process, and for the remaining twenty years that we store those cells. I apologize again that we failed you in this respect but I assure you that, after we speak, I will personally do my best to remedy the problem going forward.

Thank you for choosing to bank with Americord.

Martin

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

We liked the objectives of Americord and we have gone through their track with the cord for the past few years. Also, the price they offered was better compared to other banks. We googled about Americord and other banks and we've heard the research of Americord in maintaining the bank are better than the other ones in the market.

Their specialist explained to us what it was and how it will benefit us when we got ill in the future. They explained the importance of this banking of cord blood. They were good at it and it was very helpful. Something happened with the courier, though. He went back and he came, but otherwise, it was easy-going. Everything was good and we're very satisfied. If we were planning for a second child, we're going on to Americord. We recommend Americord to our friends and family.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I have a son with autism and there's ongoing research on attempts to use the umbilical cord to remove or to ease out autism issues with the kids. So, we decided to bank our baby's cord blood because it's a hope against hope, and I'm just hoping this could help my son. We went with Americord because of the cheapness of the service and the availability of the kit on short notice. When we went to the hospital, I didn't know that they will have the kit available. Americord was the only one that was providing it right away. Other providers were taking 48 hours to deliver the kit.

We had a fairly good experience with Americord. They provided us with the kit right away with all the necessary documents and requirements, and the handling was good, too. I delivered the kit to Americord because, as per the hospital's rules, the kit needs to be delivered by the person requiring the service, and it was fine.

The only problem I have with them right now is that they haven't provided me with the certificate yet, which is quite a worry to me, and I have followed up with them twice this month. The baby was delivered in the second week of September. There was some delay from my side, too, since there was some document that needed to be signed by my wife, which I provided to them after a month. So, by the end of October, everything was sorted out. But now it's the start of December and I haven't received the certificate from them yet, and they've been charging me for the past three or four months now. Nevertheless, despite the delay, I would still recommend them, due to the availability of the kit and the fast delivery option without charging extra money for it. Overall, it was nice, easy, convenient, and cost-effective with Americord.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I read customer reviews about Americord and decided to bank my baby's cord blood as a precaution. I was being induced and Americord agreed to ship the kit to us quickly. Their cord blood specialist was very accommodating. He answered all of my questions and I had a good feeling. The process was simple and the paperwork was straightforward. Americord was professional, too.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We thought banking our baby’s cord blood is the kind of safety net we wanna have so my husband did a lot of research and called lots of places. We spoke with every single company but the person we spoke with at Americord was very thorough and answered all of our questions. Everything we heard from them made it sound like it was the best fit for what we were looking for. The fact that we went with them shows you how easy they made it for us and how informative it was. The cord blood specialists were fantastic and they were a big reason why we chose them. We had a fine experience and they're exactly what we were looking for.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We banked our baby's cord blood just in case anything happens to her and using Americord is a good peace of mind. My experience with them was very quick and easy. Working with their cord blood specialist was pretty straight forward. I didn't have any questions because they explained everything. The courier was way earlier than our scheduled pick up, so that was good. Moreover, the box was very well put together.

Dear Hayden

This is Martin Smithmyer, the CEO of Americord. First, let me thank you for taking the time to provide such detailed and thoughtful feedback. We take our customer's thoughts, praise, and, most importantly, criticisms, very seriously and we work hard to find ways to incorporate our customer's comments into our ongoing efforts to perfect our systems and products. To that end, let me address each of your points in turn and I apologize in advance that this means my response will be rather lengthy.

First, I apologize that you felt we followed up with you too often. Our cord blood specialists are passionate about the service that we offer and also ensuring that people are fully informed about the benefits of cord blood banking, even if they ultimately decide to work with another company. Sometimes, when a customer's due date is fast approaching, our specialists reach out more frequently to ensure that there is enough time to get a collection kit to the customer in advance of the birth. In this instance, however, it sounds like we went way too far. I have spoken with the cord blood specialist with whom you dealt and counseled them regarding the need to balance the desire to help a customer with the need to respect the fact that cord blood banking is an important decision that customers rightly need time to consider.

Second, I am also sorry regarding the problems you experienced with paying for the product. II understand completely that cord blood banking can be expensive. At Americord, we strive to make it as affordable as possible in two ways: first, unlike other cord blood bank companies, we do not charge an annual storage fee. The amount you pay covers twenty years of storage and there are no hidden fees. Transparency and honesty is very important to us. Second, we offer a twenty-four month payment plan that allows our clients to spread the cost over a two year period with only a small financing charge. In your case, however, it seems that we misunderstood how you wanted to pay and did not explain our payment policy to you properly. What we should have told you is that customers elect at the time of enrollment if they want to pay in one lump sum or over twenty-four months. We also take a credit card number, but we do not charge it until approximately three days after the baby is born and we know that the stem cells are suitable for storage. At anytime up until the charge is made, customers can change the card number or how they wish to pay. It seems that we believed that you wanted to pay in one lump sum and proceeded on that basis when we charged your card. I am sorry if that is not what you wanted. I am, however, reassured that we did offer to reverse the charge for you but I understand that you did not want to do that. I would like, however, to offer to reimburse you for the $40 transfer fee you incurred when you transferred the amount to your preferred credit card. If you contact me at 888) 652-5631 I can arrange for that to happen.

Third, relatedly, I am sorry that we did not fully explain when your credit card would be charged. I understand how upsetting it must have been to see a charge that you did not want or expect, particularly when you should have been enjoying your time with your newborn. I have spoken with my cord blood specialists and reiterated to them the importance of explaining our payment policy. I have also instructed my client services department to investigate the possibility of sending emails to parents either shortly before or just after birth reminding them of the payment option they have selected and how payment will be charged. Rest assured, however, that we would not have discarded your cord blood had there been a problem with the credit card. We do not charge until the stem cells are frozen at which point we do not discard cells except in very limited situations, such as where there has been an extended history of non-payment after repeated attempts to recover sums owed. We certainly would not discard cells jus because a credit card was declined. Our commitment to our customers and our knowledge that the stem cells have the potential to treat numerous serious diseases means that we would think long and hard before ever simply discarding them.

Fourth, I'm sorry that you felt that the pickup arrangement process was unduly burdensome. I completely agree that the moments after birth are precious, stressful, and exciting all at the same time and the last thing you want to do is deal with bureaucracy. We do strive to make things simple but there is some information that we are required to obtain in order to get the stem cells collected and processed. If your husband's name was not included on the account for some reason we would have to get the information from you for privacy reasons. In this case, however, it seems that we were too heavy handed and I'm sorry that we caused you stress at such a special time. I have counseled my client services department about the importance of being sensitive and balance the need to obtain information with respect for the pressures on new parents.

Finally, I am happy and disappointed about the doctors feedback regarding our kit. On the one hand, I am glad that the doctor found it to be comprehensive because we have worked to make sure that the kit comes complete with everything that the doctor might possibly require to get the cord blood collection done properly and in a manner that ensures that the maximum number of stem cells can be collected. That is a core part of Cord Blood 2.0 and I would much rather make the kit a little more complicated so long as it gets the best possible result for our clients. Other companies might want to make life easy for doctors in the belief that it will encourage the doctor to recommend their products but, at Americord, we believe that the interests of parents and babies come first. That being said, we are currently revising our kit and I have passed along your feedback to the team responsible for that redesign so that they can take into account your comments, particularly regarding the number of items that the doctors had to include. One thing that does surprise me, however, is the medical staff's surprise that your blood had to be taken. This is actually a regulatory requirement to ensure that there are no infectious diseases that might prevent the stem cells from being used in the future. Even if that were not the case, it is our philosophy at Americord that customers should be aware right at the start of any limitations that there might be on the use of stem cells in the future so that they can make a properly informed decision about whether to proceed with cord blood banking and the associated cost; we think it is much better for people to know as soon as possible if there are any problems rather than charging them for storing something that might otherwise be unusable. This is a critical part of our commitment to ensuring that we put our customers and their health first. I appreciate, therefore, your understanding in having your blood drawn.

Thank you once again for your feedback and thank you for choosing to bank with Americord.

Martin

Original review: Nov. 2, 2016

Americord gave me a discount for single pay and there was no monthly or annual charge. They also seemed to be the more reliable one when I looked up cord blood banks. However, when I first talked to them to get information, it was a very large sum of money to pay upfront. After that, I felt like they were calling almost every couple of days to see if I had decided, and I was getting annoyed. I finally told them that I would call when I was ready to go. When we finally made the decision to do that, they asked for a credit card number to verify funds. Then I asked them if I could change the card number for the charge when the cord blood was actually done, and they said yes.

When our baby was born, the cord tissue and cord blood were taken and everything was fine. Although iit's a very large amount of money, so I had wanted to talk to somebody about a payment plan. But then all of a sudden, the credit card that I had given them was charged when I didn't want that card charged. I called and talked to somebody with Americord who was very nice and sweet, saying he can "delete it off this", but I said no. I ended up calling my other credit card, where I wanted it put on. They gave me a different deal, so we ended up paying it off and I got charged a $40 transfer fee.

I also got an email that said it's been paid to my card. It was two days after the baby was born and we were still in the hospital so we got a lot of stuff going on. It would've been nice to be told that my card was going to be charged at the time. If somebody wanted to change their card, or if that card has been compromised for any reason, the charge would have gone haywire and Americord would have gotten rid of the cord blood. There should be an email that says the card is going to be charged this much on this date, and that they should be contacted within 48 hours if I need to make any changes.

The other thing was that there was such a time-sensitive thing. We had to call Americord within an hour of the baby being born. I understand that, but it was funny because I had my husband call since he had more access to a phone and I wasn’t about to get on the phone. He got a hold of them and we had to go through the whole thing. I set up the account so it was under my name, so he was asking me questions when it probably would have been easier for me to call.

But this was easily done and we got it all set up, and the lady who came and picked it up was real nice.

There were also two vials of my blood taken, which was fine. But the doctor said it seemed more complicated than the other packages, which means that other packages that they’d taken care of were not as thorough as Americord. It seemed like there was a lot of stuff that my doctor and the nurses had to do to get everything in. They’ve never had a package that asked for the mother’s blood to be taken, but as long as it’s done right and the lady definitely got enough cells and cord tissues, we’re set, and I’m totally happy with that.

Dear Theresa:

This is Martin Smithmyer, CEO of Americord. I very much appreciate your feedback and I'm sorry to hear that you had this experience with your hospital. It is our aim at Americord to help parents to bank as much of their cord blood, cord tissue, and placenta tissue as possible. Unfortunately, some hospitals still have out-of-date policies that make it difficult for parents to have their wishes fulfilled and it is often impossible for us to know in advance which hospitals they are. Our advocacy group here at Americord is working hard to educate policy makers, healthcare institutions, and health care professionals about the important uses and research involving stem cells and why it is critical that they partner with us and parents.

In light of your feedback, I have asked our staff at Americord to conduct a review of state law governing placenta tissue and we will, in the next few weeks, make available on our website materials that prospective parents can share with their hospitals and health care providers to make clear the benefits of placenta banking and also the rules that permit parents to take their placentas with them from the hospital. While I appreciate that this will not solve the problem in your case, I hope that it will help future parents avoid the difficulties that you experienced.

Congratulations to you and your family on your new addition. If you have any further need for help or would like to discuss this more, please feel free to contact us and mention this response.

CEO, Americord Registry LLC

Original review: Oct. 29, 2016

My god-sister uses Americord and recommended it to me. The representatives from the company explained everything, but I wasn't happy about how the hospital where I delivered my baby, didn't know how to save the placenta and keep it fresh, and so we couldn't get the placenta delivered on time. It had to be shipped within 24 hours, but the hospital could not release the placenta within a certain period of time. They couldn't use the placenta, and I was really looking forward to saving it, as well as my cord blood. It was supposed to help me in the future if I ever need it, but it went to waste. Also, Americord never informed me that there might be other hospitals that do not know, or wouldn't be able to release the placenta. If they had informed me, I would have made sure that I wouldn't go to certain hospitals to give birth.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I did some research on the technology and we decided to bank our baby's cord blood. The lady at Americord was really helpful. I compared their prices to other ones and Americord's were good. The courier came right away to pick up the kit. Everything was easy, painless and good.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Americord didn't charge a banking fee. It was only one time for up to 18 years. I'm very happy with them. We have a history of POL in our family so we wanted to bank our baby's cord blood just in case. I called a week before my due date and they got the kit to me in time. They're very fast. Also, their courier was very prompt in picking up the kit. In addition, I had a very good experience with the blood cord specialist.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Although I don't have any family history of anything or any concern, banking my baby's cord blood might be a good gift for my baby. Compared to other companies, Americord's price is reasonable. The specialist collected the cord blood. However, the courier who picked up the kit didn't come on the same day, but the next day, and I was concerned that the blood has been spoiled.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I received an email with a coupon for Americord from WhatToExpect. I decided to bank my baby’s cord blood for medical reasons and I wanted to have some type of insurance for the long-term. The person who answered my call was amazing and really nice. I liked that it was a one-time payment for the whole thing, including the 18-year storage. And it was easy. The only thing is that when we called to have it picked up at the hospital, it took a while for them to get there. We had to call again because it was almost past the two-hour mark and we were worried that it might affect in some way. But other than, it was great.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My experience with Americord was good. I liked their deal with the one-time payment and its long-term benefits for my baby’s cord blood. Their reps were friendly and provided the right information.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We have diabetes and ALS that run in our family. And right now with research and technology moving forward, I felt like it's a good thing to have Americord for our future. My mother-in-law purchased it for us as a gift. It's something I definitely wanna have for my child and for our family. We're very satisfied and we love it. It was quick, easy, and a great experience overall. I would definitely recommend it.

Hi Melada,

I wanted to personally thank you for choosing Americord. I am thrilled that you had a great experience and that you’ve shared your story with us. It has been my company’s mission from the moment I started Americord to make sure we provide the absolute best experience and quality. Thank you again for your kind words and for being part of our Americord family!

Martin Smithmyer, CEO & Founder, Americord Registry

Original review: Sept. 18, 2016

My doctor had a few list of companies with my first child, so I went online and did some research. I ended up choosing Americord because it's cheaper, and I read good reviews about them. So when I had my second child, I also used them. I like that they have the discount for the sibling. Because I wasn't sure if we're gonna go for the same company with our second child, the discount helped us decide. Everything went well when I dealt with their rep. And the carrier came in very fast to pick up the kit. Overall, I'd recommend them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I'm paranoid about all these crazy things that could go wrong, so I did a little bit of research on the different things that are being done with cord blood these days. There are really astounding things that can be treated using that and I'm hoping that we continue to do amazing things with it. Americord was less expensive compared to other blood banks and I liked the fact that I could do the whole 20 years instead of having to pay something every single year. I waited until the last moment to pull the trigger on it. It was really easy to sign up and to set up. I was really pleased with the whole process and it was really fast too. It was also great with the rep.

They were able to ship it to me and I got it the next day or maybe one day later, so it's good. My husband took the kit down to a different area of the hospital to drop it off. Once it was given to the staff at the hospital, I didn't have to think another thing of it. Scheduling the pickup was painless, too, and they came the next morning. It was one of the things that you buy and you hope you never have to use. It was a good experience, that's why I've recommended Americord.

Hello Kyle,

Thank you so very much for your message. I am so very happy to hear that your experience has been so positive. Thank you again for your kind words and for being part of our Americord family!

Martin Smithmyer, CEO & Founder, Americord Registry

Original review: Sept. 14, 2016

I decided to bank with Americord because of pre-existing family conditions and health issues that we were nervous about. The rep that we talked to was the one that finally sold us because he was really nice and professional. Everyone else has been easy to deal with.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My bank, OBGYN, was talking about different options for blood cords. The only reason that Americord caught my attention was that they are collecting not only blood cords, but also amniotic tissue. There are three different specimen that they pick up but there is not too much use besides the blood cord itself. But I thought that in the future, scientist may find a need. I personally believe that the stem cells are the only solution in so many medical problems in the very close future. I really wanted to have mine banked for any upcoming use. The person that we dealt with over the phone was an old lady, but she was so sweet, very understanding, and knowledgeable.

We didn't have so much done with Americord. We just received the kit and gave it to the doctor who collected the samples, then Americord's staff came and picked it up. That's the whole experience we have with them. I like Americord. I hope there is never ever a need medically to pull them out for treatment on my children. Until that happens, I cannot tell how organized and excellent Americord is. But just for the collection part so far, I think it was good. Nothing extra special, but I couldn't expect anything more or less than what I saw.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Americord gave us more options for less price so we went with them. They came and dropped the kit off at the hospital and then came back to pick it up. I recommend them all the time to my family and friends who I know is giving birth.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Americord was more economical than other banks and they also have tissue banking. They're a newer company than the others that had been around since 90’s but it wasn’t a problem with our doctors. It was easy working with them. I did all the paperwork and my husband worked with the cord blood specialist.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Americord had an all-inclusive cost for 20 years of storage. The cord blood specialist was very nice and helpful.

Question and Answers - Americord

What problem is Americord trying to solve?

Americord is working to improve lives in ways that would not otherwise be possible. We focus on cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue banking innovations that provide more treatment options for newborns and their families.

For example, our proprietary Cord Blood 2.0™ technology preserves up to twice as many stem cells, making it possible to treat larger patients and expand treatment opportunities for smaller patients. This is crucial because traditional cord blood banking often collects only enough stem cells to treat a child under 65 pounds. Americord expands treatment options to patients weighing up to 165 pounds.

What sets Americord apart from the competition?

Americord offers the broadest and most technologically advanced product line in the industry. Our focus is on providing more treatment options for clients by combining innovative technology and white-glove care for superior value.

We are the only company that offers Cord Blood 2.0™ technology that collects up to twice as many stem cells as the industry average.  In addition, we are one of very few companies that offer expertise in three stem cell products - cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue. We are also one of only two companies that offer a collection kits approved by the FDA for c-sections.

We are committed to the highest levels of customer service, with 24/7 availability and white-glove care, including bedside pickup service by the medical courier. For mothers in early labor or last minute stem cell banking decisions, our AmericordRush™ program offers same-day delivery of the Americord Collection Kit at no extra cost.

We allow parents to decide what to bank right up until delivery, with our 3-in-1 Collection Kit for the collection of cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue. Expectant parents can reserve a kit and then return it free of charge as their plans change. There are with no cancellation fees, no annual storage fees and no withdrawal fees.

What needs does Americord fulfill, and how does Americord fulfill those needs better than your competition?

Americord’s mission is to provide the highest quality services, at the lowest possible cost, while supporting unique and innovative ways to improve the therapeutic utility of cord blood and tissue stem cells to improve patients’ lives. We invest in the future of stem cell banking so that families and their loved ones will have peace of mind. We actively explore innovative collection, transportation, processing and storage technologies to improve yields and viability to ensure the best possible results for our customers and the medical community.

We operate to the highest ethical standards in the industry and are committed to complete customer satisfaction. We thoroughly test every collection, and if the yield falls below the recommended minimum standards, we don’t charge parents who elect to forgo storage. In addition, we don’t offer incentives to the medical community to steer patients to Americord, preferring that patients make an unbiased assessment of the best stem cell bank for their needs.

We have the highest quality guarantee in the industry at $90,000, eliminate all hidden fees, and offer a risk-free cancellation policy.

How does Americord measure success?

Our clients entrust us with their most valuable medical assets, and we take this trust seriously. We measure success by customer satisfaction and regularly solicit feedback to ensure our products and services fully meet or exceed their expectations. We also benchmark our stem cell yields to ensure they deliver on our promise of achieving twice the industry average. In 2016, we recorded our highest cord blood collection volume and TNC count of 183 ml and two billion TNCs, respectively.

What’s the most common misconception consumers have about cord blood banking?

Expectant parents often have questions about the types stem cells that can be collected and stored and the potential different stem cells hold for future medical treatments for their growing families.

A newborn’s umbilical cord contains two types of stem cells – hematopoietic stem cells (HSCs) and mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs). HSCs stem cells are programmed to become red and white blood cells. Medical science has found ways to use their natural abilities to treat over 80 disease of the blood like leukemia. MSCs, on the other hand, develop into muscle cells, bone cells, cartilage cells and fat cells. MSCs are considered essential to the future of regenerative medicine.

How has cord blood banking changed in the last 5 years?

Over the last five years, scientific breakthroughs in regenerative medicine and stem cells have raised awareness and interest in umbilical cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue banking. At the same time, expectant parents can be overwhelmed by an influx of cord blood banking companies with confusing claims, complicated offers and aggressive marketing tactics. As the industry evolves, it has never been more important for expectant parents to find a reliable source of unbiased information to ensure they make the most informed choice for their important medical assets.

What is something you wish every consumer knew about Americord?

Americord is rooted in a firm set of values. Our purpose is to improve lives and change the world. Our core values support our purpose and define how we manage and successfully grow our business.

• Customers: We strive to serve and provide value to our customers, faithfully and consistently. This commitment is foundational to our success.

• Employees: We encourage an ownership mentality, treat others with respect, provide opportunities for learning and growth and challenge to be their best selves.

• Integrity: We treat all we encounter fairly and with integrity.

• Innovation: We constantly improve strategy, products, operations, ourselves, sales talking points, marketing and financial performance, and our internal processes, with the aim of challenging ourselves to leave the organization better off tomorrow than it was yesterday.

• Learning: We instill a culture of learning and growth.

• Community: We engage with the local community, advancing important technologies and being generally charitable and helpful to others.

These values are more than just words, they inform everything we do.

Has Americord received any rewards or recognition for its products or services that your customers would like to know about?

Americord is AABB and FDA accredited and we have an FDA accredited collection bag. We have an A+ Better Business Bureau rating. Americord is also licensed in all states that require licensure for cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue banking.

How has your company grown?

Americord’s superior technology, focus on customer service and engrained set of values has made it the fastest growing cord blood bank in the United States. As a result, the company has been listed on the Inc. 5000 List of the fastest growing private companies in America for the past two years.

Americord Company Profile