Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We were at the OB-GYN's office for one of our first visits and I happened to pick up Americord's brochure and started looking at it. I shared it with my husband and he got really interested. He figured that technology and healthcare are moving so fast that it was not a bad idea to have something on hand. And so, we decided to bank our baby's cord blood.

The woman from Americord whom I spoke to on the phone was amazing. I started filling out some of the paperwork and then got distracted because I was at work. I put it off to the side for a bit then they called me and helped me go through the entire process. She gave me information about the special that they were running at the time and took care of everything within ten minutes.

Hi Ben,

This is Martin Smithmyer, the CEO of Americord. Firstly, I’d like to thank you for your kind words and valuable feedback. We work hard to make sure that our cord blood specialists and customer service representatives make things as easy as possible for expectant families.

Thank you for taking the time to provide this valuable feedback.
Sincerely,

Martin Smithmyer

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

It's better safe than sorry and I never know what's going to happen so I researched a little bit before deciding to bank my baby's blood cord. It's like an insurance policy and I had the financial option to do it. But the birth was very close so I didn't have a lot of time to dig so much into it. I consulted with a friend, read a couple of articles online about it, and I decided to do it with Americord. I liked their price and the lady that I have talked to was very nice. She told me all the details and answered all my questions right away. Overall, I had a pretty good experience.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was 39 having a baby. I kept going back and forth asking different people that have had babies, and they had different opinions. I researched the reviews and I liked Americord's price. Their rep that I dealt with was really nice and helpful. She called me back, kept harassing me but that was a good thing because I kept putting her off. I waited until the last minute and the rep said she could do overnight with me. Americord was the only one that would do that. Also, I was scared about any problems happening in the future so that made me finally do it. It's a good deal and it's simply one of those precautions just in case problems happen. She sent me and emailed me everything.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We have close family and friends whose young children died of cancer so we banked our baby's cord blood. If it's there then it could be a possibility to cure it. I like the financial plan of Americord and the length of the storage was longer than any other banks. The kit was easy. The doctor and the nurse went over it before I had the baby. And they knew what to do and they picked it up. And I got a confirmation email that it was received. Everything has been good.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We thought we'd give Americord a shot because they do placenta banking. We then banked our baby's cord, which we found affordable. Signing up was all good on me.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Americord's track record for having a higher cell count in the cord blood was attractive. It's also interesting that they store blood tissue and placenta, too. In addition, the guy that started the company was one of the principals that started the ViaCord and their technology is now 10 years old. He wanted to start a new entity that has all the latest and greatest so, we went with them to store my son's blood. He's now six and it gives us a peace of mind knowing that his blood is stored out there. Everything was packed by my doctor so, there were no issues with anything being spoiled and the courier came the next morning.

The Americord rep that I dealt with was very informative, laid out all the facts and not pushy. It was easy to determine the financial side of it too. It was more expensive going into it, but we don’t have the recurring annual fee for banking than I had with Cord Blood Registry - their competitor. With the other cord blood companies – ViaCord, Cord Blood Registry, LifeCell, CryoLife – they require that you pay an annual fee for however long you'd store the blood. For my CBR registry, it's 50 bucks a year. With Americord, it's a one-time fee of $6,000 for all three items, but you're covered for the next 26 years.

They're only going out for 26 years, but when that time comes, there will be so many companies getting into the market that'll be much more competitive but the benefits have yet to catch up to the cost. The Americord folks also feel that once the benefits are realized, the insurance companies are going to be stepping up and covering the expense for the storage fees because the benefits are going to minimize their long term exposure to cost for serious illnesses. Americord has totally met my expectations. I'm confident that they’ll be around and I'd recommend them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Americord?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We had Americord bank my baby’s cord blood as a precaution. My doctor suggested it. It's like a life insurance if something goes wrong in the future. That was a last minute decision but Americord arranged everything on time. The cost was also very good. They were less expensive than others that we saw in the two days that we looked. And they did a pretty good job and met our needs. I'd refer them to others.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We had placenta banking. We've always wanted to do cord blood banking with my other two kids, but we didn't have the money till this time. Hopefully, we won't ever have to use it but it's for peace of mind. It was late at night when we delivered the kit, so the courier picked it up the next day and my husband handled that. Our experience with Americord's cord blood specialist is smooth. The only other thing that I really like about Americord was that we paid upfront and we don't have to pay annual fees and think about it after, it's all taken care of. Overall, I'm satisfied.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Americord's price options are very good. The payment is monthly and we didn't need to pay for one big fee prior to taking the service. We liked it mostly because of that and the 20 years of storage is good, too. The people who picked up the kit came on time so we are good. The value of using Americord has met our expectations. Our baby's cord blood can cure so many diseases not only for him but also for any of our family.

Hi Vrunda -

This Marty Smithmeyer, CEO of Americord. Thank you for you very kind words. We are so happy you had a great experience with our team.

We take all feedback very seriously and we welcome you to call us at 1-800-503-6005 ext. 2, if you have any additional questions or comments.

Original review: June 28, 2017

I'm advanced maternal age and decided to bank the baby's cord blood to be on the safe side, in case I needed it. Since Americord also had the placenta banking which others didn't, we decided to use them. Another reason to go for Americord is one of my cousins who used it had a good experience with them. It's also good that they're online. We got the right support. Everything was prompt and when we called up, there was a line to find out what we are supposed to be doing. They came and picked up everything and it's been great so far.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

A friend of mine suggested Americord so I looked into prices and it looked really good for me. It was reasonable and cheaper than the others. Their specialists were very knowledgeable. They did not even ask any questions regarding how to do the process so they knew everything of what they were doing. The courier who picked up my kit came on the next day morning so that was good. So far, we’re very satisfied with Americord.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I banked my baby’s cord blood for personal reasons especially on health to save the life of my child and my husband if needed. I chose Americord because they ran differently than some other companies and had different ways of doing things. I didn’t have to pay a monthly fee and I could pay one lump sum. I also had a great experience with the cord blood specialist. They didn’t waste my time and told me everything I needed to hear. It's been a good experience overall.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We figured banking the placenta was a big expense up front but if it could be helpful in the future in case we'd need it and if we didn't make that decision now, we would regret it. We went with Americord and their reps were very friendly and helpful. They did what they could to help us reduce the price so we were very pleased.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Our friends banked their baby's cord blood and they recommended it. There could also be possible things in the future that the cord blood can correct for. Americord had the best price and their specialists were super informative, polite, and not pushy. It was good that they called back later because we bought the service and then I totally forgot about it. Then they called us again just before the due date and helped us out. They reminded us to bring the cord blood to the hospital.

Hi Barbbie,

This is Martin Smithmyer, the CEO of Americord. Let me first thank you for your kind words regarding the quality of the service you received. We are pleased you choose Amerircord to bank your baby’s cord blood and cord tissue.

Americord as a company is always trying to improve our client experience and would welcome you to provide any feedback on how we could have made your experience even better. Please give us a call at 1-800-503-6005 ext 2.

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

Original review: June 18, 2017

I saw cord blood banking on Americord's app and went for it. I gave them a call to set up a payment plan. I chose them after reading a lot about it. They ended up taking the samples relatively quickly. The customer service people are really nice and they were better than what my friend had.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

If there’s something that goes wrong or there's a disease that can’t be cured, we have our baby's cord blood banked. Americord was the most reasonably priced and we got an excellent service from them. They're easy to use tool. I had a good experience with the carrier who picked up the kit, as well as with the cord blood specialist and I would recommend him. They notified us about things and everything just went smoothly like it was supposed to go.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Americord banks a couple of things including the cord blood and something else that was geared towards helping the moms. And nobody else was doing that, which was what made me choose them. I’m happy that I chose to bank everything because this is my last child. And I didn’t do it with my other two children. It could help everyone and I hope we should never have to use it but knowing that it’s there gives me peace of mind. Over the phone, the Americord rep was very nice. And we’ve also emailed frequently before that. He made me feel comfortable in the process and really walked me through and let me know that if I had any questions I could contact them anytime. Also, the person who picked up the kit was very quick.

For us, technology, knowledge, and trustworthiness were important. Cost also factored in, and in all the dimensions Americord ranked very high among the top 3 vendors we examined in detail. Staff were well educated and super helpful. We ended up investing in all 3 services they offer, also based on some helpful bundle pricing the firm offers. Highly recommended.

I had a great experience with Americord. All representatives were very helpful and always nice. They provide all instructions over the phone + you receive them with the kit. I delivered my boy at night and they picked up the package first thing in the morning and helped to complete the form. So, I would definitely recommend them. Great work guys! Keep it the same way!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We had done our research but hadn't decided on if we would store but we reached out the day before we were supposed to check in to have our little girl and Americord overnighted us the collection package along with everything we needed and clear instructions. We decided to go ahead and do it so we went over everything with the nurse when we arrived in the hospital and thankfully they had done it before so it was a pretty easy process. After our girl was born the doctor and nurses collected everything and we packaged it up and called to have it picked up. Shortly after a courier picked everything up and it was off to be stored.

Our OB did charge us for the collection however Americord gave us back $200 of that which was almost the whole cost! Americord's process was very easy to follow and we didn't have any issues which was nice because the day was really all about mom and baby. We are very happy with how everything went and although we hope to never need the samples it's very reassuring to know that they are there and available should a need arise!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I have no issues with Americord. I used them for banking purposes and it has met my expectation. The storage was already included with the price. I had a very good experience working with the blood cord specialist and the courier was prompt. But they should make their website in which you have an account with friendlier like being able to change payment options and those types of things.

Hi Navyata,

This is Martin Smithmyer, the CEO of Americord. I am happy to hear that you had a positive experience interacting with our teams. We are committed to providing the best experience at all times.

When considering your cord blood, cord tissue, and placenta tissue banking options, we believe it’s important to be transparent about our costs and services, but also on how other companies measure up on our website. Americord prides itself on our ability to provide our competitively priced, high-quality product for a number of reasons. We do not pay doctors a referral fee, we do not employ a large pharma-rep type sales staff and do not have the excessive budgets that go along with supporting that. We simply pass the savings on directly to the client. We feel it is important to offer the option of cord blood banking to every family.

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

Original review: June 5, 2017

We’ve been hearing about the new thing that once we save cord blood, it’ll change a lot of things in the future. This is gonna be our last chance so we decided to go ahead and save the cord blood. Americord was responsive so, we decided to go ahead and do it with them. We initially called them and they responded to give me all the options we have and how much it will cost. We decided on what options we would like to go pickup and once we received the kit, we had to take it to the hospital. We got things taken care of. It was really expensive compared to the other cord blood we had but they did a pretty good job.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I liked Americord's reputation and that they take double the amount of the blood. We also got recommendations for them from other people. I know from past experience with someone else that they are very reliable. I am 30 years old and when I was younger, a lot of these things were not available. Now, there is research and things have gone on, how it can save a life or help other family members. So, my main thing was at least I have a little bit of a security that it can help my family members and me if ever needed.

Americord's price was amazing while most companies want to hurt you with the price that they give you. They are doing a great job and with the availability of baby’s cord blood, I can call and I always get my questions answered. Also, the courier who picked up the kit went out of his way to come to the hospital room and gather everything for us and go over the process with us. It was easy and there was very little explaining needed. I've recommended Americord to quite a few people.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We got Americord for cord blood banking, so that in the future, if we need it, we can use it. They were very fast and on time. They sent the kit quickly and the overall experience was very good.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I did some research and Americord was recommended as a good one for cord blood banking. My husband called them and they seem okay. They provided the information that we need. I view it as a long term. So, we banked with our first baby, and this is the second one.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We decided to take our baby's cord blood as were concerned about the risk of leukemia in the family since my wife's sister had leukemia. Americord had more collection options available, besides the standard umbilical cord blood, than other companies. They also had a good pricing option and were able to deliver the kit very fast because our son was born a month early. We didn’t have a kit then but they were able to get it to us within an hour. The woman who I talked to on the phone was very good and helpful and was able to give us a good discount and payment terms. She sent the collection kit in an Uber from New York City to make it in time, so the experience was really good.

One thing Americord can improve on would be having a user portal. I pay the bill but there’s nothing else after that to confirm everything was collected. We're just counting on them to be there the next however many years we want them to be there for us. So, after the initial contact, besides the monthly bill, there's nothing else to the service.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Americord was less expensive so I went with them. Also, I liked what the woman had suggested about saving other things aside from the cord blood. We decided to do the placenta as well. I was a high-risk patient and our doctor recommended that I bank my baby's cord blood. It was due to my family history and me having Crohn's disease. He said that there's been much success in that area and so, we decided to do it.

My experience with Americord's specialist was wonderful. We went in-depth with my medical history which I appreciated very much. They made it very easy and convenient. We didn't have to worry about a thing once Stratton was born. It was really nice. I had a C-section so I wasn't around when the courier came. But, my husband said his experience was fantastic. The courier met him and dropped off the kit. All in all, it was easier said than done. The benefits are going and I hope more people do it. Better be safe than sorry. It's great and we appreciate everything.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I thought of banking my baby's cord blood in the event that it could be of benefit for some major health problem in the future. I found Americord online and they seemed to be a newer company but professionally run and fairly priced. The cord blood specialist was very personable, and the courier who picked up the kit was great. We've had a good experience with Americord.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs

Hi,

This is Martin Smithmyer, Founder and CEO of Americord. Thank you sincerely for your feedback. I value your post since it allows us to reflect on our performance and improve where necessary. We are truly sorry that you experienced any difficulty with our service. We strive for excellence with every client interaction.

One of our Company's Core Values is 'Taking Care of Our Customers', and throughout our organization, we view this to be more of a priority than any financial metric. Unless we faithfully serve our clients, we cannot be successful as an organization, or true to who we are

We’ve reviewed your records and can confirm that we received, processed, and safely stored your child's stem cells. I’ve been informed that your Certificate of Storage with all your account information has been resent and your stem cells are available should your family ever need them.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. If you would like to have a call to discuss this further, please free to call 866-503-6005 and ask for my assistant Ayanna; she will arrange it.

Martin Smithmyer

Original review: May 4, 2017

I spent $7000 and have nothing to show for it. Not even a certificate proving they still have my sample. I have a feeling I will have to sue to get my money back when I need something I banked and it has mysteriously disappeared.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Americord was one of the cheaper ones when I signed up. They gave me $500 off and I like the fact that I can never pay a yearly storage fee. My oldest son is on the autism spectrum and Americord had done recent autism research. Because of some of the positive results they have gotten, I went with the cord tissue too instead of just the cord blood. I don’t worry about my youngest son now, but you just never know. I would recommend Americord.

Hi Jennifer,

This is Martin Smithmyer, the CEO of Americord. Let me first thank you for your thoughtful words regarding your experience with Americord. I commend you on your research process. It can be daunting, as there are numerous resources that explain the benefits, options, and the process of cord blood banking. I hope you found our Topic Center full of valuable information for your research. We work hard to make the research process as easy as possible on our website because we understand that having a baby is a stressful time and we want to do whatever we can to ease the burden.

Americord prides itself on our ability to provide convenient one-time payments for our affordable, high-quality product for a number of reasons. We do not pay doctors a referral fee we, do not employ a large pharma-rep type sales staff and do not have the excessive budgets that go along with supporting that. We simply pass the savings on directly to the client. We feel it is important to offer the option of cord blood banking to every family.

Thank you for taking the time to provide this valuable feedback.
Sincerely,

Martin Smithmyer

Original review: April 16, 2017

The research in cord blood and the possibilities in the future of using it for different things that our son might encounter are so vast. We felt we would lose the opportunity to try it. One only gets one chance to do it and our son can't do it when he's 14 so we felt that was a worthy insurance policy. There are a lot of banks out there. We looked into those other banks and Americord was the one that said, "If you pay us once, we'll never charge you again." We like that because we didn't want to be billed every year, though it also makes it a little more expensive than some of the other banks. But we're happy so far. The process was also easy. The cord blood specialist was very respectful and she answered all our questions.

Question and Answers - Americord

What problem is Americord trying to solve?

Americord is working to improve lives in ways that would not otherwise be possible. We focus on cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue banking innovations that provide more treatment options for newborns and their families.

For example, our proprietary Cord Blood 2.0™ technology preserves up to twice as many stem cells, making it possible to treat larger patients and expand treatment opportunities for smaller patients. This is crucial because traditional cord blood banking often collects only enough stem cells to treat a child under 65 pounds. Americord expands treatment options to patients weighing up to 165 pounds.

What sets Americord apart from the competition?

Americord offers the broadest and most technologically advanced product line in the industry. Our focus is on providing more treatment options for clients by combining innovative technology and white-glove care for superior value.

We are the only company that offers Cord Blood 2.0™ technology that collects up to twice as many stem cells as the industry average.  In addition, we are one of very few companies that offer expertise in three stem cell products - cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue. We are also one of only two companies that offer a collection kits approved by the FDA for c-sections.

We are committed to the highest levels of customer service, with 24/7 availability and white-glove care, including bedside pickup service by the medical courier. For mothers in early labor or last minute stem cell banking decisions, our AmericordRush™ program offers same-day delivery of the Americord Collection Kit at no extra cost.

We allow parents to decide what to bank right up until delivery, with our 3-in-1 Collection Kit for the collection of cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue. Expectant parents can reserve a kit and then return it free of charge as their plans change. There are with no cancellation fees, no annual storage fees and no withdrawal fees.

What needs does Americord fulfill, and how does Americord fulfill those needs better than your competition?

Americord’s mission is to provide the highest quality services, at the lowest possible cost, while supporting unique and innovative ways to improve the therapeutic utility of cord blood and tissue stem cells to improve patients’ lives. We invest in the future of stem cell banking so that families and their loved ones will have peace of mind. We actively explore innovative collection, transportation, processing and storage technologies to improve yields and viability to ensure the best possible results for our customers and the medical community.

We operate to the highest ethical standards in the industry and are committed to complete customer satisfaction. We thoroughly test every collection, and if the yield falls below the recommended minimum standards, we don’t charge parents who elect to forgo storage. In addition, we don’t offer incentives to the medical community to steer patients to Americord, preferring that patients make an unbiased assessment of the best stem cell bank for their needs.

We have the highest quality guarantee in the industry at $90,000, eliminate all hidden fees, and offer a risk-free cancellation policy.

How does Americord measure success?

Our clients entrust us with their most valuable medical assets, and we take this trust seriously. We measure success by customer satisfaction and regularly solicit feedback to ensure our products and services fully meet or exceed their expectations. We also benchmark our stem cell yields to ensure they deliver on our promise of achieving twice the industry average. In 2016, we recorded our highest cord blood collection volume and TNC count of 183 ml and two billion TNCs, respectively.

What’s the most common misconception consumers have about cord blood banking?

Expectant parents often have questions about the types stem cells that can be collected and stored and the potential different stem cells hold for future medical treatments for their growing families.

A newborn’s umbilical cord contains two types of stem cells – hematopoietic stem cells (HSCs) and mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs). HSCs stem cells are programmed to become red and white blood cells. Medical science has found ways to use their natural abilities to treat over 80 disease of the blood like leukemia. MSCs, on the other hand, develop into muscle cells, bone cells, cartilage cells and fat cells. MSCs are considered essential to the future of regenerative medicine.

How has cord blood banking changed in the last 5 years?

Over the last five years, scientific breakthroughs in regenerative medicine and stem cells have raised awareness and interest in umbilical cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue banking. At the same time, expectant parents can be overwhelmed by an influx of cord blood banking companies with confusing claims, complicated offers and aggressive marketing tactics. As the industry evolves, it has never been more important for expectant parents to find a reliable source of unbiased information to ensure they make the most informed choice for their important medical assets.

What is something you wish every consumer knew about Americord?

Americord is rooted in a firm set of values. Our purpose is to improve lives and change the world. Our core values support our purpose and define how we manage and successfully grow our business.

• Customers: We strive to serve and provide value to our customers, faithfully and consistently. This commitment is foundational to our success.

• Employees: We encourage an ownership mentality, treat others with respect, provide opportunities for learning and growth and challenge to be their best selves.

• Integrity: We treat all we encounter fairly and with integrity.

• Innovation: We constantly improve strategy, products, operations, ourselves, sales talking points, marketing and financial performance, and our internal processes, with the aim of challenging ourselves to leave the organization better off tomorrow than it was yesterday.

• Learning: We instill a culture of learning and growth.

• Community: We engage with the local community, advancing important technologies and being generally charitable and helpful to others.

These values are more than just words, they inform everything we do.

Has Americord received any rewards or recognition for its products or services that your customers would like to know about?

Americord is AABB and FDA accredited and we have an FDA accredited collection bag. We have an A+ Better Business Bureau rating. Americord is also licensed in all states that require licensure for cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue banking.

How has your company grown?

Americord’s superior technology, focus on customer service and engrained set of values has made it the fastest growing cord blood bank in the United States. As a result, the company has been listed on the Inc. 5000 List of the fastest growing private companies in America for the past two years.

Americord Company Profile