Get a Free Quote Visit Website
ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Get a Free Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.69/5
Visit Website

With over 25 locations nationwide, American Addiction Centers provide compassionate care to adults who face struggling times with addiction and mental health disorders. AAC works to customize tailored treatment plans for every person that seeks treatment. American Addiction Centers are passionate about providing each person with the tools to recover and achieve wellness.

View More View More

American Addiction Centers Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

Upon arrival, I was scared 'cause I didn't know where I was going, I didn't know anybody and I'd never been out of state by myself. The behavior health aide was very helpful. I was starving, and they offered me a bag of lunch. The intake went very smoothly and it wasn't a long process at all. Some of the BTA's, however, took their job to another level to where they made it seem like they were correction officers. Sometimes they would threaten us and say, "If you don't do this, you don't go to class. You don't do this, we're gonna take your cellphone." The cellphone thing went beyond everybody's head, because they knew that that was their way of controlling what they wanted us to do. They would push people a little bit too much to make their job a little easier. They didn't want anybody in the dorm so it would be quiet. They also didn't let us tag in to their WiFi because they don't want us on social media posting pictures.

Before I left, they had it to where the cellphone use started at 4 o'clock instead of 8:00. 4 o'clock was a little bit better, but it should've been a little bit earlier because they fail to realize that a lot of us there still have lives outside of River Oaks. We have to make appointments and follow up, pay bills, do this while we're there. 8 o'clock at night, offices are closed. And a lot of people are in different time zones. So, if they wanted to talk to their children, 8 o'clock may not be their time.

Post-treatment for me was a little difficult. After I left, I had things set up on my own because of my location. They were more focused on stuff that was in Florida and down south. I live upper, so it was hard. Then, the IPOs wouldn't take me because I had private care insurance and I didn't wanna drop that in order to get into sober living. Also, a lot of the times my counselor was lazy, so I had to do my own feedback and research on myself to get to where I needed to be when I left River Oaks.

Overall, they could've had a little bit more outings for us to do. From the time that we eat dinner or dinner's over, there's nothing for us to do. There's no bingo, no games, nobody coming in to help the ladies do some nails, do something to keep your mind occupied 'cause you got that time from like 5 o'clock till lights go out at 10:00. They said you can't turn the TV on in the day room until a certain time. By the time you're getting your meds, it's time for them to turn the lights out. And they make you turn the lights out like you're a little kid. Nobody wants to go to bed at 10:00. The campus is really nice, but they lied. There's no pool, there are no horses. They had horse therapy presented in the brochure, but they didn't have that. So it's false advertisement. Nonetheless, I would go back today if I needed to. My therapist was very helpful the whole time I was there.

American Addiction Centers response

Chimere, thank you very much for sharing your experience. Please know that we have forwarded this information to the team internally at River Oaks so that we may identify opportunities and areas of improvement. We wish you the best in your recovery journey.

Get expert buying tips about Drug and Alcohol Treatment Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

American Addiction Centers was great. They’re very strict about some of the rules. Those applied to the kids more than to me, but I understood that they apply it across the board. The regular classes were pretty good, and some of them were excellent. They had some kind of filling stuff late in the day, and they would bring in people who had been addicted, and they’d talk to you. That got a little repetitive because it was the same thing over and over, but they wanted you to attend everything. They weren’t sticklers about it because I had a bad back and they understood that. So, I could do six a day classes, and then my back just gave out. I understand that they had to do it that way because of insurance, and also to keep the kids busy. If they didn’t keep them busy, they would be misbehaving.

I made some friends while I was there. They were kinda peers. One was an engineer and another designed golf courses. We still stay in touch and we had no relapse issues since then. My issue was I had a hip replacement and they were giving me narcotics, and finally, I just had to say, “I can't handle this.” And so, I walked away from it, which was strange because you're not supposed to be able to do that. But then, when this pain started coming back in my other hip and my shoulder, and my back, I started self-medicating with alcohol because I wasn’t gonna do the narcotics again, and it got out of hand. My situation was a little unusual. There was nothing recreational about my use.

I wasn’t happy with the art class, but almost all of the staff at American Addiction Centers was excellent. When I was kinda finishing up, I was supposed to pick two people that influenced me the most, and I picked two of the staff because one kinda guided me, and the other one would tell me when I was full of crap, which I needed. The kitchen staff and the housekeeping staff were excellent as well. I couldn’t believe that in the morning I’d walk out of the room to go to a class and I’d come back and the room would be spotless.

The food was excellent, too. The kitchen staff that I interacted with was always friendly and helpful. And I noticed that there were people with special food needs, and they’d cater to them. There was vegetarian, and he always got his own vegetarian meal at mealtime. There was a person with a gluten issue and similar thing. So, they did everything they could to accommodate you. I have no complaints with them.

American Addiction Centers response

Jess, thank you so much for taking the time to share about your positive experience with American Addiction Centers! We strive to provide an individualized treatment experience catered to each patient's needs. We are thrilled to hear you found recovery success with us and found our program so helpful!

Original review: June 11, 2019

I've been to the ACC program twice and the only reason why I went back the second time was because of the therapist that I had. I wouldn't be sober today if it weren't for that. My therapist was the absolute best therapist I ever had in the world. I loved it at AAC. Admissions was a little intimidating. There was a lot of paperwork and I have been to other facilities so a lot of paperwork was a lot. But aside from that, they had a great staff and a great clinical team. It was a really down-to-earth facility that I went to at Recovery First in Hollywood and there would be times where we'd go to an outside meeting. This one meeting was where a really close friend of mine died at so they knew it was bothersome to me and we never went back while I was there. It was on another level of care.

When I first got there though and I was moving into residential, one of the techs had just gotten fired. There was an incident while I was there on Christmas. With all the drama stirred up, this tech that had gotten fired. I guess she stirred up a bunch of stuff with the clients. She was telling some people with kids that they didn't love their kids. So that was a little hectic. But that doesn't reflect AAC as a whole. It reflects her.

But within the first two days, a ton of designer stuff and some of my personal properties stored with the techs in safekeeping went missing. The only way that it could've gone missing was through the access of a tech. A $200 perfume was stolen and it had disappeared right when all this happened with this tech and that was the last night that she ever came. I tried to file in for a grievance and a complaint form for it. I would never put any of the techs that are still there accountable but nothing was ever done about it either. I was still disappointed that something was taken like that. I had to continuously file the complaint. Then finally, clinical came back from higher-ups, and I guess they just said that I never had a perfume. So that was a little bothersome. That was the only thing that I wasn't so fond of. But that doesn't even reflect the good times that I had in treatment. So I weighed the good with the bad, and that doesn't even touch the good.

With the way the clinical is set up with the AAC, it definitely keeps you busy. But sometimes, it can be repetitive. Still, the experience was really nice. In a lot of rehabs, you don't have your phone and this and that. But with AAC, you still have that little bit of freedom where you can still have that self-care. You can go to a Walmart, pick up your food and cook it at night. So you still have that sense of responsibility and I enjoyed that.

American Addiction Centers response

Hi Nicole, thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with Recovery First, Hollywood. We take concerns like the one you mentioned very seriously and ask that you reach out to us directly if you'd like to discuss it further. Furthermore, we are pleased to hear you had an overall positive experience with Recovery First and found the therapeutic aspect to be so helpful. We wish you the best in your recovery journey!

Original review: April 6, 2019

My mom dropped me off at one of the American Addiction Centers and I was there for around nine days, but I left early because I had to go back to work. The people were very nice. I didn’t ask a lot of questions when I initially did the intake and my counter ended up calling Susan on the phone. I was in the office and I started asking her questions. Susan was the reason I ended up going.

However, AAC is mismanaged. It was a mess even for me to get a letter out to my employer. Usually, you sit down with your counselor. They have a template that they use and they type the names in, then they send it. You sign a release and it takes eight minutes. At AAC, they told me it was gonna take nine days to get a letter out to my employer and I've never heard of that in my life. I shouldn't be stressing about that while I am at rehab. They told me that it had to go through their corporate office in Tennessee or Georgia. At that point, we had our cellphone, so I just contacted my employer and let them know what was going on.

The staff and the groups were good. I could talk to them. From my experience, they have the self-advocates, so I always do that and things get done, but everyone is underpaid and overworked. They had two people doing discharge planning for a whole bunch of people and it was crazy. There should also be eight people writing the letters, but there was just one that time and they were billing my insurance company the same. They were really understaffed and it was frustrating. There was a woman who came in on prescription medication and she was trying to get off alcohol, but they wouldn't take her off the prescription medication because she had been on it for about a decade. And on her discharge planning, they weren’t getting her set up with a prescription medication doctor outside. That was scary.

Taking attendance was so ridiculous. They took attendance every two minutes and I've never seen that either. It was for legal purposes, but there was a better way to go about it. I had a counselor there and he was very nice. I am gay and I am totally comfortable with myself, but he sat me down and said, "It's okay that you're gay. We're all sinners. Sinners sin." It was so weird and really awkward. If I wasn’t leaving, I would've been totally uncomfortable after that and I probably would've requested a change of counselor if I were to speak with him about other things. Nonetheless, I am clean today.

American Addiction Centers response

Hi Meghan, thank you for taking the time to share some feedback on Sunrise House. We work hard to ensure all our patients receive safe and effective treatment and we are sorry to see that you felt some of our services were not as described. However, we are happy to hear you found the staff and groups to be helpful. Congratulations on your recovery success - we wish you the best moving forward!

Original review: March 24, 2019

River Oaks was nice. Upon arrival, I was intoxicated and they made me put on some paper scrubs while they searched my clothes. They did all the paperwork until 5 o'clock in the morning. Then, they finally let me lie down and go to bed. They woke me up at 9 o'clock that same morning to do more paperwork. For the first two or three days, I was kinda pissed off but then after that, it was smooth sailing. I had a good therapist. I didn't speak to a case manager the whole time I was there until I was getting ready to discharge. I was there for 33 days and they offered a decent program but there were a few things that I disagreed with. The males and females were separated during group time but it’s good to hear things from another perspective. It was not practical to me in relation to real life.

Some of the staff were strictly by the book and still easy to get along with. Some of them are more lenient and not completely by the book and friendly, but there were also some who were the same way but you can’t be around them. There were different types of staff but it didn’t affect my treatment. I was there for me and I was determined to get what I could get out of the program. Before I went there, the staff told me that they would put me on some maintenance and see how I would do on that. If I was gonna stay on it, they would keep me on it and if I didn’t want it, they would take it off and it was okay with me. When I got there, they told me that they would see if they were gonna put me on medication or not. I had to threaten them that I was gonna leave if they didn’t start me on it.

Then, they lied to me again to get me to go there. They told me that I would have my phone the entire time that I was there, which was a play on words, because I got there, and they took my phone. They told me that I could get my phone back after detox. I got out of detox and figured out that you don't get your phone all the time. They would give it to you from 6:30 to 7:30 in the morning and then, you'll get it from 8:00 to 10:00 at night. So, there were a lot of downtime and boring time. A lot of times sitting there and I was just ready to leave. The guys get out of group between 3:15 and 3:30 every day and the girls have an extra group from 3:30 to 4:30. So, from 3:30 to 5:30, the boys were just sitting there.

At 5:30, we eat. It takes 10 minutes to eat, so 5:40 to 6:30, you're sitting there doing nothing. Then at 6:30, you have the option to go to an AA or an NA-based meeting. You get out of there at 7:30 and you have to wait 30 more minutes to get your phone. You don't have to go to the meetings and AA and NA is not my chosen method of recovery. It's not the way I do it. So, from 3:30 to 8:00, I was just sitting there, bored and didn't have anything to do. I ended up talking to my therapist. I asked her to give me extra time with my phone and she worked with me. She ended up giving me my phone from 3:30 to 10:00 but I was not allowed to carry my phone outside because it could be a violation. I could be outside taking pictures of other clients and there were too many clients there, so they would make you keep your phone inside.

During phone time, everybody is in their room on their phones. I would get my phone at 3:30 and I would go to my room and hang out. I would talk on the phone for a little bit, leave my phone in the room, go back, smoke a cigarette, hang out and talk, and be sociable for a little bit. Then, get back inside, get back on the phone, go back and eat, hang out and smoke a cigarette, play some cards for a little while, go back inside and check the phone. So, once I got that little situation worked out with my affairs, everything went a lot better.

American Addiction Centers response

Hi Logan, thank you so much for taking the time to share you experience with River Oaks Treatment Center. We are so glad to hear that you were able to settle into a routine and find the experience helpful and worthwhile. If you'd like to stay connected to the program, please reach out to our team. We wish you well moving forward!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Addiction Centers?

Original review: Feb. 15, 2020

I had a good experience with them. The staff were friendly and caring.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

I was still really high when I arrived at American Addiction Centers, but it was great once I got used to it. The staff was amazing and it was an amazing experience. I’m in a completely better mental health overall now.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

I had a pretty good experience at AAC's Laguna facility when I was there for detox. But in May, I was at their Mississippi facility and things were not so great. Before I left, Neil and I talked to them multiple times, and we were sure that I was going to be allowed to stay on my medication the entire time as I’ve been on it since I was 12. But when I got there, they would not give me the medication that they had promised I could continue to take which caused severe anxiety. My heart rate went up to 133 there, and they sent me home because my heart rate was high. But it was due to withdrawal from my medication. Neil talked to everyone, the CEO and the COO, but it was ridiculous to try to get anybody to respond to any question. Despite this, the program in Mississippi was positive in every other way. I really liked the structure, like, you were held accountable even if you were private-pay. So, you had to go to class. That was very good.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

The food was okay and the staff was awesome. They were the best people ever. They really care about you, but my caseworker was horrible. Other people complained about her too. Other than that, it was wonderful. It's a good place. The new CEO there just started and we talked to him. He came to talk to the group, and he was doing a lot of good changes to improve a lot of stuff that's going on there. So it's gonna be a way better place.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

The people I dealt with at American Addiction Center were very attentive, answered all my questions and were professional. They did everything correctly. I wasn’t treated like I was a bad person. They accepted me right from the start. I'm living in a sober living facility now following up from being in Florida, and everything is going the way it's supposed to. Everything is going well.

American Addiction Centers Company Information