Get a Free Quote Learn More
Accredited Partner

Get a Free Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.66/5
Learn More

With over 25 locations nationwide, American Addiction Centers provide compassionate care to adults who face struggling times with addiction and mental health disorders. AAC works to customize tailored treatment plans for every person that seeks treatment. American Addiction Centers are passionate about providing each person with the tools to recover and achieve wellness.

View More View More
American Addiction Centers Call Now Toll Free (888) 987-1784 Get a Free Quote Learn More

American Addiction Centers Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: April 1, 2020

I was really messed up and I needed a place to go. I went online and I started looking up rehabs. I called up a random number, and whoever I spoke to on the phone ran my insurance and told me that I qualify. But when they told me it was in Jersey, I told them I didn’t wanna go. It is too far. But a week later, I was feeling like the worst I’ve ever felt and I went to a bar to kinda help me out. While I was at the bar, I was looking at more rehabs closer in New York, where I’m from. I got a call again and it was the same guy and he checked up on me again. He explained to me that they would send a car over at no charge to me and pick me up from my house and then drop me off, then I said okay. And I was there the next day.

When I went in to Sunrise House, I felt kind of ** because of my withdrawal. But the little old lady at the front desk told me that in a little bit I would go upstairs to get my first dose of what I needed, and that kinda helped me out, which was true. I did not mind the search. That was to be expected. But they didn’t just rummage through my belongings. They asked me first if they didn't know something, so it was fine.

With the accommodations, I definitely feel that they can do something with the heat and the coldness because some nights it was so hot, where you're pretty much sleeping naked, which I was. It doesn’t help you to get your rest when you have a room that’s boiling hot or a room that’s freezing cold. It’s messing your sleep up. On top of that, you have someone coming in there every hour checking up on you. But I enjoyed it there. The food was good.

Overall, the staff is pretty helpful. They are nice. But I did come across one situation where a staff member did say something that was not factual and by that happening, someone else got written up. I wrote a statement on that person's behalf explaining exactly what did happen. It’s kinda sexist because I’m a straight male and the person that I kind of bonded to mostly was a straight woman, and in the eyes of everyone else, the whole stupid saying like, two dead batteries don’t start a car. I get it, but we’re people.

One of the big things that they also need to underline there is a lot of times when people are dealing with these addictions whether it’d be through drugs or alcohol, you’re also not communicating properly with the opposite sex. When you’re on these drugs, you’re a kind of one-track mind because you want certain things. So I thought it was really helpful and healthy for me to be in the company of fellow alcoholic that was a female where our conversation had nothing to do with anything sexual at all, but more about who we are when we’re not drinking and how we feel. That was a very crucial part of my recovery.

Also, being able to have that friend that is of the opposite sex where there’s no sexual contact there, but it was very frowned upon, which I think is kinda really rude because this is a rehab that we have checked ourselves into, and if you did not want men and women to be under the same roof, then they should figure that out on their end. But you can’t put men and women together and then tell us that we have to remain x amount of feet from each other. We’re not in a prison. So I found that disturbing. While they were out there looking at us, and we were not doing anything, no one was looking at the other people that were actually doing things in the bushes. I found that hysterical.

This was my first time in a rehab and they have equipped me well to go back. I was a really big drinker but when I was there, I only wanted to have a drink once and since I’ve been home, I haven’t had a drink, and I have no thoughts of having drinks. I’m completely fine. So they equip you with the knowledge of leaving there and to have a successful road to recovery.

Get expert buying tips about Drug and Alcohol Treatment Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 3, 2020

With Laguna Treatment, I didn’t feel I was on the dual diagnosis program. I felt that it was strictly alcohol or addiction. It was supposed to be dual diagnosis for depression and for addiction. The whole thing was really focused on addiction, which is not my main issue. Also, the way their rep made it come off to be was it was gonna be this beautiful country club atmosphere, workout rooms and pools. He said, “Make sure you bring your bathing suit.” It was so freaking cold. You couldn’t possibly swim in an outdoor pool in December and January. Not to mention that you're not allowed to go out there except at mealtimes. So, a lot of this was very misrepresented. I was not pleased at all with that respect.

The arrival went fine. It was very late at night. But then, upon looking at my personal belongings that were in a safe later on, there was $100 missing. I filed a report about it and heard nothing for two weeks. And the only reason why I heard something was because I found proof that I did have the money that I stated I have. I was spoken to very disrespectfully by the person in the office telling me not to get an attitude with her after she accused me of lying. I was really upset about that. The only reason why I finally was able to prove it was because they did write the amount down on the piece of plastic back that stored all my money and credit cards. But I hadn’t noticed that until two weeks had gone by. They offered me a gift card back, not the $100 cash that was missing, which was wrong. If I lost cash, I should have been able to be given cash back.

Some of the staff were wonderful and some of them sucked. I was told that I couldn’t have the blankets that I needed because it was cold there because other patients might be cold, and it wasn’t fair for me to have more blankets. A solution to that was to buy more blankets. Why should I have to be uncomfortable because others might be uncomfortable? They need to supply enough blankets if they can’t have heat at a reasonable temperature. They tried coming in and covering the vents that the cold air comes out of. Unfortunately, it just pushes it out of other different places like on the casement of the door where the latch would go into. The cold air flew out of there instead when they covered it up. And that’s also the same vent that the heat’s supposed to come out of. So, that was a loss.

Then, another day, I came up after working out, and there was no clean towels anywhere to be found. So, I couldn’t take a shower after being sweaty and gross, and had to continue on with my day with groups, stinking, after doing an hour in the treadmill. They should buy more towels. The groups and everything were fine. But they were just really focused on addiction and nothing to do with anybody who has depression or anxiety. It’s all addiction, recovery, recovery, recovery, addiction, recovery. I had to stay sober. How do I stay not depressed? How do I build my self-esteem? They should consider that.

You need to be able to do more outings because you start to go stir-crazy if your minding is standing. They're not doing any more passes where people can go out for two hours on their own, which for me was the only thing that saved my life. That would have been absolutely nuts in there for that long a time because you're not allowed to bring in candy or things like that. And when you go out in the outings, that’s really nice but you're not allowed to bring any money. You’re not allowed to spend any money unless you happen to have maybe a wallet in your phone. That would be nice.

They may have implemented a little store, but it’s not the same as going to Walmart or similar and being able to buy some sweatpants like I had to when I went out on pass because it was too cold. I had to spend a lot of money on warm clothing because it certainly never expected to be freezing. I had to buy three sweatshirts and a pair of sweatpants. This was in California. I expected everything to be really warm. I never expected to be freezing. I didn’t know what winters were like because I come from Connecticut. Overall, I wouldn’t recommend the center for somebody who’s struggling more with mental illness than addiction, but I'm happy enough with my experience.

American Addiction Centers response

Antoinette, thank you for taking the time to share this feedback. We have shared this feedback internally with the team at Laguna Treatment Hospital to identify possible areas of opportunity and improvement. We wish you well in recovery.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

Upon arrival, I was scared 'cause I didn't know where I was going, I didn't know anybody and I'd never been out of state by myself. The behavior health aide was very helpful. I was starving, and they offered me a bag of lunch. The intake went very smoothly and it wasn't a long process at all. Some of the BTA's, however, took their job to another level to where they made it seem like they were correction officers. Sometimes they would threaten us and say, "If you don't do this, you don't go to class. You don't do this, we're gonna take your cellphone." The cellphone thing went beyond everybody's head, because they knew that that was their way of controlling what they wanted us to do. They would push people a little bit too much to make their job a little easier. They didn't want anybody in the dorm so it would be quiet. They also didn't let us tag in to their WiFi because they don't want us on social media posting pictures.

Before I left, they had it to where the cellphone use started at 4 o'clock instead of 8:00. 4 o'clock was a little bit better, but it should've been a little bit earlier because they fail to realize that a lot of us there still have lives outside of River Oaks. We have to make appointments and follow up, pay bills, do this while we're there. 8 o'clock at night, offices are closed. And a lot of people are in different time zones. So, if they wanted to talk to their children, 8 o'clock may not be their time.

Post-treatment for me was a little difficult. After I left, I had things set up on my own because of my location. They were more focused on stuff that was in Florida and down south. I live upper, so it was hard. Then, the IPOs wouldn't take me because I had private care insurance and I didn't wanna drop that in order to get into sober living. Also, a lot of the times my counselor was lazy, so I had to do my own feedback and research on myself to get to where I needed to be when I left River Oaks.

Overall, they could've had a little bit more outings for us to do. From the time that we eat dinner or dinner's over, there's nothing for us to do. There's no bingo, no games, nobody coming in to help the ladies do some nails, do something to keep your mind occupied 'cause you got that time from like 5 o'clock till lights go out at 10:00. They said you can't turn the TV on in the day room until a certain time. By the time you're getting your meds, it's time for them to turn the lights out. And they make you turn the lights out like you're a little kid. Nobody wants to go to bed at 10:00. The campus is really nice, but they lied. There's no pool, there are no horses. They had horse therapy presented in the brochure, but they didn't have that. So it's false advertisement. Nonetheless, I would go back today if I needed to. My therapist was very helpful the whole time I was there.

American Addiction Centers response

Chimere, thank you very much for sharing your experience. Please know that we have forwarded this information to the team internally at River Oaks so that we may identify opportunities and areas of improvement. We wish you the best in your recovery journey.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I've been to the ACC program twice and the only reason why I went back the second time was because of the therapist that I had. I wouldn't be sober today if it weren't for that. My therapist was the absolute best therapist I ever had in the world. I loved it at AAC. Admissions was a little intimidating. There was a lot of paperwork and I have been to other facilities so a lot of paperwork was a lot. But aside from that, they had a great staff and a great clinical team. It was a really down-to-earth facility that I went to at Recovery First in Hollywood and there would be times where we'd go to an outside meeting. This one meeting was where a really close friend of mine died at so they knew it was bothersome to me and we never went back while I was there. It was on another level of care.

When I first got there though and I was moving into residential, one of the techs had just gotten fired. There was an incident while I was there on Christmas. With all the drama stirred up, this tech that had gotten fired. I guess she stirred up a bunch of stuff with the clients. She was telling some people with kids that they didn't love their kids. So that was a little hectic. But that doesn't reflect AAC as a whole. It reflects her.

But within the first two days, a ton of designer stuff and some of my personal properties stored with the techs in safekeeping went missing. The only way that it could've gone missing was through the access of a tech. A $200 perfume was stolen and it had disappeared right when all this happened with this tech and that was the last night that she ever came. I tried to file in for a grievance and a complaint form for it. I would never put any of the techs that are still there accountable but nothing was ever done about it either. I was still disappointed that something was taken like that. I had to continuously file the complaint. Then finally, clinical came back from higher-ups, and I guess they just said that I never had a perfume. So that was a little bothersome. That was the only thing that I wasn't so fond of. But that doesn't even reflect the good times that I had in treatment. So I weighed the good with the bad, and that doesn't even touch the good.

With the way the clinical is set up with the AAC, it definitely keeps you busy. But sometimes, it can be repetitive. Still, the experience was really nice. In a lot of rehabs, you don't have your phone and this and that. But with AAC, you still have that little bit of freedom where you can still have that self-care. You can go to a Walmart, pick up your food and cook it at night. So you still have that sense of responsibility and I enjoyed that.

American Addiction Centers response

Hi Nicole, thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with Recovery First, Hollywood. We take concerns like the one you mentioned very seriously and ask that you reach out to us directly if you'd like to discuss it further. Furthermore, we are pleased to hear you had an overall positive experience with Recovery First and found the therapeutic aspect to be so helpful. We wish you the best in your recovery journey!

Original review: April 6, 2019

My mom dropped me off at one of the American Addiction Centers and I was there for around nine days, but I left early because I had to go back to work. The people were very nice. I didn’t ask a lot of questions when I initially did the intake and my counter ended up calling Susan on the phone. I was in the office and I started asking her questions. Susan was the reason I ended up going.

However, AAC is mismanaged. It was a mess even for me to get a letter out to my employer. Usually, you sit down with your counselor. They have a template that they use and they type the names in, then they send it. You sign a release and it takes eight minutes. At AAC, they told me it was gonna take nine days to get a letter out to my employer and I've never heard of that in my life. I shouldn't be stressing about that while I am at rehab. They told me that it had to go through their corporate office in Tennessee or Georgia. At that point, we had our cellphone, so I just contacted my employer and let them know what was going on.

The staff and the groups were good. I could talk to them. From my experience, they have the self-advocates, so I always do that and things get done, but everyone is underpaid and overworked. They had two people doing discharge planning for a whole bunch of people and it was crazy. There should also be eight people writing the letters, but there was just one that time and they were billing my insurance company the same. They were really understaffed and it was frustrating. There was a woman who came in on prescription medication and she was trying to get off alcohol, but they wouldn't take her off the prescription medication because she had been on it for about a decade. And on her discharge planning, they weren’t getting her set up with a prescription medication doctor outside. That was scary.

Taking attendance was so ridiculous. They took attendance every two minutes and I've never seen that either. It was for legal purposes, but there was a better way to go about it. I had a counselor there and he was very nice. I am gay and I am totally comfortable with myself, but he sat me down and said, "It's okay that you're gay. We're all sinners. Sinners sin." It was so weird and really awkward. If I wasn’t leaving, I would've been totally uncomfortable after that and I probably would've requested a change of counselor if I were to speak with him about other things. Nonetheless, I am clean today.

American Addiction Centers response

Hi Meghan, thank you for taking the time to share some feedback on Sunrise House. We work hard to ensure all our patients receive safe and effective treatment and we are sorry to see that you felt some of our services were not as described. However, we are happy to hear you found the staff and groups to be helpful. Congratulations on your recovery success - we wish you the best moving forward!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Addiction Centers?

Original review: March 29, 2020

American Addiction Centers reps were friendly and helpful for the most part. The living arrangements at the Sunrise House were okay. The food and the classes were good, although I preferred some of the counselors over others. I felt that others were more passionate about it and a couple were more by the book. Also, I understand there's no groundbreaking material when it comes to this stuff. It's really just trying to nail it home, to get people to understand what they can do in the future and do something different. I found it helpful overall and they really challenged us to think about what we were gonna do once we got out and was faced with regular life again.

Original review: March 27, 2020

I wasn't comfortable going to Sunrise House because I was 700 miles away from home, but it was also a new experience. I had to just deal with it as I got there. Whenever I'm not comfortable, I kinda just shut down. So that was one thing I was starting to work on when I was getting there and it wasn't getting any better, but Sunrise House is a very good place to be at. My experience short and abrupt, but I got back onto the right set of mind track that I learned from an IOP program at Wellstone. It's getting me back into the mindset that I needed to be into instead of ranting and raving and running the streets like I was. So that's helping a lot. Now I'm just paying attention to them and following the steps that I had to follow.

Original review: March 23, 2020

The people were nice and everything was okay. It was an old place, so it wasn’t the most modern of facilities, but what's important was how the people cared for us, and they did a good job. I was only there for several days as I was there for detox, but the people that I met seemed to be very caring and it was about as good as I could expect. They’ve been doing all the right things. What I needed from them worked for me.

Original review: March 22, 2020

While doing research, I found American Addiction Centers on the internet. Everything was all good with them. I stayed at the Sunrise House and everybody was pretty supportive. It was also a good schedule. The living area was fine. There, I learned not to be in denial. Anyone that wants to learn can learn and be a better person. The only thing was they were really short of staff and I wish they have a little bit more people.

Original review: March 18, 2020

I went to the Laguna Treatment Center twice. The first time I checked in there, I filled out the papers in about two minutes. But for my second time, I told them to look at their file and that my info was all in there. My last experience with them was also horrible but that goes with every treatment program I go to. On my first day, some roommate of mine told me that he'd slap me if I farted in there. But I told him that I'd kill him if he looked at me like that again and he complained. Also, one of their staff there tried to get me and my ex-fiance to separate because we were talking. So, I almost fought the fool. I told him to get out of my face or I was gonna beat him up. Then, they got sick of me and kicked me out. I was there for six days.

Other than that, my last sponsor there got to step 3 with me. But my other sponsor got me a drink. I’ve been to 50 treatments after that and they all hate me now. But the staff at the Laguna Treatment Center was decent. I don't like the staff in general though as I always knew 10 more things than them and it pisses them off, so we just never end up talking. Besides that, the food was better during my second time there and the staff learned very quickly just to leave me alone, so that was cool. They'd usually kick me out before they even know me and that’d be a headache because I’m a headache. But so far, I’m straight.

American Addiction Centers Company Information