4.19/5
Based on 21 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 18, 2018

21 Ameda Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 18, 2018

My overall experience with Ameda was good. It was effective and made pumping the most stress free and less worrisome. I liked how easy the product is to use, clean and store. It was also easy to follow the directions of use. I like the design as well and how it felt using. It didn't hurt my hands as much. It could've been a little quicker to use but it worked well enough.

Original review: April 27, 2018

Ameda was ok. I had a hard time extracting milk. It made my breasts tender. I could only do one breast at a time which a little inconvenient. On the positive side it is very easy to set up and figure out how to use. Also, the fast pumping action worked well for me. I liked the multiple storage options that were available with the breast pump as well. Moreover, it also had multiple settings to determine the level of pumping. Although, I would still like to see more options available for storage purposes and the ability to pump both breasts at once to save time.

Get expert buying tips about Breast Pump delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 26, 2018

It's a good tool to have when you need to express and does somewhat of a good job. But it does not pump or express the way it should be done and it is painful and does not mimic natural sucking. Also, not as efficient as the real thing...

Original review: April 25, 2018

I liked that it was easy to use. It had all the things that I needed and the plastic wasn't too uncomfortable either. It wasn't too hard on my breasts and some had made them feel sore before. The price wasn't too bad at all either. The breast pump was pretty efficient and worked very well. But considering there are a lot of smaller breasted woman that breastfeed as well, maybe that they would make smaller cups for us woman with smaller breasts. That would be so awesome. Overall I would use this breast pump again. My other advice would be to get one right away so you have it ready.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I liked the Ameda breast pump because it was easy to use. I also had a hands free adapter which made it even easier to use while caring for my baby. However, it was loud and not very compact and easy for travel. I would like to find a pump that is a little bit quieter for pumping in public and one that comes in a travel bag for when I go out. Overall I really enjoyed having the Ameda double electric breast pump and it did a wonderful job pumping. I would recommend this to any of my friends.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ameda?

Original review: April 23, 2018

It was hospital grade and worked amazing. It was a double breast pump which helps keep your milk supply up. Suction was gentle yet firm but made it comfortable to use. Efficiency was great. Had a great portable carrying case for ease of use to carry back and forth from work to home. But if there was a way to make it quieter as it can be kind of embarrassing for a breast feeding mother who is in the workforce and has to pump in an office with male co workers. Other than that, would use this brand again.

Original review: April 22, 2018

The overall concept is super helpful and affordable, and I would recommended to any other breastfeeding mother. I love that this pump is from a respectable brand and use most often by hospitals. Also my insurance covered the cost of it. The overall of this breast pump is appealing and resourceful. Love telling others mom about this pump and all the wonders it has to offer. It is a helpful way to pump and store for your hungry little one. Love the overall idea of feeding my baby my own milk, so many health benefits and it's super cheap too, just need dedication and you will pull on through.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I like the design of the Ameda. I also like how lightweight it is and easy to use. I recommend to any new mom that plans of breastfeeding their baby. I think this is a great brand and very well made. I am very happy with this and it is very easy to store and best of all very easy to clean. I also found that this breast pump brand is very comfortable and I enjoy using it with my newborn.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I like the ease of use and the design is great. The color is very neutral and it is discreet, easy to travel with and quiet. The suction is not painful and I do not experience pain or anything during or after use. It was very comfortable to use and the best part is that it is fast so that I can get back to my baby and my life without having to worry too much about it later. But I would like to be able to design my own prints for the breast pump online and have them sent to me for an extra charge so that I could make it look more personal in case of theft or just for a change of pace. I would also like to have a travel version that is smaller.

Original review: April 19, 2018

My experience was good. It helped a lot, especially in the hospital when he was a preemie with a tongue tie. It helped him nurse better. It was a very helpful machine which is easy to use and clean. I liked it exactly the way it was and so did my son. I'd really recommend to anyone.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I liked that the breast pump came with a stylish bag. It was portable and small in size so I could take it with me to school and use easily pretty much anywhere. What I didn't like was how strong and powerful it was, it did hurt my breast when I was pumping and afterwards. Not sure if a weaker pump would do the job though. But the breast pump was overall easy to use.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Ameda is comfortable, easy to use and delicate on tender breast. Love that it has pumps to fit any size breast and fit my breast size with no leaks and kept my breast milk fresh and it came with different caps and the different bottle size to store as much milk as you need to. It was a great experience for me to be a first-time breastfeeding mom. I would recommend it to others to use.

Original review: April 16, 2018

It was simple to use with easy to read instructions. The pump was small enough to carry around as well and didn't take up much space like other pumps do as well as soft. Comfort was just right, efficiency was good too. I was able to get a lot of use from this pump. Wish I didn't wait so long to use it. But the pump is not always sold in every single store. It was so hard to find in stores. And it was also expensive.

Original review: April 15, 2018

I had a good experience with this pump, I wasn't disappointed. I like the ease of setting the machine up, hooking the hoses and bottles up with the machine and the cups. I like the different settings for the pump. It mimics how my baby nurses and that helped to get a strong flow of milk. The suction wasn't uncomfortable. The take apart was simple and since no milk got where it shouldn't there wasn't much for clean up. Storage was fast and easy. But maybe include other bags for transporting the parts of the pump and a larger bag for keeping the breastmilk cold when out and traveling.

Original review: April 14, 2018

Ameda did what I wanted to do and I didn't know if I was going to keep pumping or for how long so I wanted just a basic pump. I didn't need an over the top expensive pump when I knew I was only going to use it for a couple of times a week for a few months. For the most part it was a good pump. But I would consider improving the following two items: I think that there should have been different available speeds. I also felt like the suction cups didn't really stick especially after a while. But Ameda worked for the time I wanted it to (about 6 months).

Original review: April 13, 2018

I have had a great experience with my pump. It is easy to use and takes minimal cleaning. This pump is user friendly as well. However, I prefer there to be no cables, cords, or tubes. With the one I selected it does not have this so I have no issues with my pump.

Original review: April 12, 2018

The Ameda breast pump I used was easy to use, clean and had great power. I used it daily and took it with me to work to use as well. The travel bag was very nice and easy to clean also. The travel bag could have been more stylish but it served its function. This pump made my life easier. The ease of cleaning was a great plus as I am very particular about cleaning and making sure all parts are really clean. It had a strong motor making the expression of milk always easy and it was comfortable to use.

Original review: April 8, 2018

I like that it went in the dishwasher. It was easy to take apart and put back together quickly. Even my husband was able to get it prepared for me to use. I also liked how it only worked if it was assembled properly. However, it was pretty loud when I would use it and it's not an easy way to be discreet with it. Also, the motor broke and I had to buy an entire new one! I would have preferred to have just bought a new motor instead of having to buy an entire new pump. It was pretty expensive.

Original review: April 7, 2018

The Ameda breast pump is very easy to use, easy to clean, and comfortable. It's such a good machine for pumping especially it's my first time to pump. Never regret using it. My milk started to produce not after using it. Although sometimes it's sucking slow but all in all it's perfect. Finally I found some product like this and I'm glad I found this. It's perfect for me since I'm first time mom and I will recommend it to my friends.

Original review: April 6, 2018

Ameda is more faster than most pumps and it's very quiet. It was a new experience since I never pumped before. Less pain than most pumps that leave you bruised and sore. Also comes with a bag to place stuff in with extra storage bottles. But Ameda needs more pumps. 2 at once would be ideal and if it came with more bottles for storage. Also could use a heat pack in the bag to keep warm while on the road just in case can't heat it up. Ameda provided my son with breasts milk and got me through when no other pump could. It's very affordable for people not looking to spend much money and your insurance will even pay for it.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I really loved this style breast pump and I would love it even more if there was a manual one as well. It left me feeling empty and I had enough milk expressed every time. I like the power of the suction that this pump provided. Ameda breast pump was a very well made device. And I also really like that it is compatible with many different types of bottles. But I would maybe possibly implement an extra battery pack into the Breast pump and maybe some kind of comfort padding and a quieter setting.

Ameda expert review by Sandra Gordon

Founded in 1962, Ameda is a breast pump and accessory manufacturer based in Switzerland. They were founded by a Swedish engineer who sought to create a comfortable and effective way to pump milk. Once a division of Evenflo, Ameda is now a standalone company.

• Product selection: Ameda offers several hospital-grade options, including the Platinum and Elite models, for those who need a multi-user, double-electric pump. Its Purely Yours and Purely Yours Ultra models are single-user, double-electric pumps for women who pump frequently. Its manual pump is a good option for those who pump infrequently and has won awards for its innovative design.

• Hygienic innovation: Ameda’s HygieniKit Milk Collection System, which is a standard feature on its electric pumps, airlocks pumped milk to protect it from bacteria, mold and viruses.

• Health care coverage: Ameda partners with many insurance companies to allow customers to use insurance to cover the cost of breast pumps and related items. Check to see if your insurance provider will cover an Ameda pump.

• Helpful website: Ameda offers lots of information about breast-feeding and breast pumps on their website. Their Milk 101 site is an in-depth guide to breast-feeding and pumping, with information on latching and breast-feeding holds, when and how long to pump, what to expect in the first year of your baby’s life, breast-feeding at work and more.

• International retailers: Ameda breast pumps can be bought throughout the world, making it a convenient choice for mothers in a wide range of locations. In the United States, they are available at major retailers including Target and buy buy Baby, and online at Amazon.com.

• Best for: frequent pumpers, those with trouble breast-feeding and those who prefer manual pumps.

Profile picture of Sandra Gordon
Sandra Gordon

Parenting Products Contributing Editor

Specializing in health and medicine, Sandra Gordon has written extensively about cord blood banking for national and regional parenting magazines. She also has written about baby products, including breast pumps, for national and regional parenting magazines, blogs and books. Her work has appeared in hundreds of publications, including Parents, Prevention, Woman’s Day and Self. Gordon also appears on TV as a baby safety and money-saving expert. She is also the author of 10 books and the founder of babyproductsmom.com, a site dedicated to helping new parents gear up safely and within their budget.

Ameda Company Information