Purple Mattress

Purple Mattress Reviews

Find a Best Mattress Brands partner
1.9(65)

Suggested offers from our partners.

Our favorite mattress companies of 2023

Shop Now

About Purple Mattress

Purple designs its mattresses for pressure relief with layers of support form, comfort foam and hyper-elastic polymer to accommodate all sleeping positions. Each mattress comes with a 100-night trial, and shipping and returns are free. The Purple Mattress starts at $649, the Purple Hybrid starts at $1,299 and the Purple Hybrid Premier starts at $1,899.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • Designed for pressure relief
  • 100-night in-home trial
  • Alternative to memory foam
  • Supporting products available
Cons
  • Original mattress has less edge support
  • Mattresses are heavy

Featured Reviews

Verified
Grantsburg, WI

I sleep all night without tossing and turning. No more aches and pains. My back quit hurting. I'm feeling great. I sleep so much better. I have enough energy that help me get thro...

Verified
Washington, Illinois

Had issues with shoulder pain. Purple reduced pressure points. It sleeps cooler and made me sleep more restfully. Price was more than I wanted to spend, but love it so far. We wil...

Suggested offers from our partners.

Our favorite mattress companies of 2023

Shop Now

What is Purple mattress?

Purple mattresses are marketed as an alternative to popular memory foam mattresses that are designed specifically to relieve pressure. Purple operates entirely online and offers free shipping and returns, plus a 100-night trial and the Purple mattress warranty is 10 years. In addition to two mattress models, Purple sells pillows, bedding, mattress protectors, mattress platforms, power bases and pet beds.

100-night risk-free trial

Free shipping & returns

10-year warranty

Purple mattress materials and construction

Original Purple mattresses are made with layers of support foam, comfort foam and Purple’s unique Smart Comfort Grid technology made of hyper-elastic polymer addressing pressure points and providing extra support to areas like your shoulders and hips.

The New Purple mattress combines its Smart Comfort Grid technology with support coils, making it more of a hybrid mattress offering.

purple mattress materials

Purple mattress comfort

Both models from Purple offer pressure relief and motion isolation while also designed to sleep cool. Some individuals may find more support on a spring mattress, which the New Purple mattress provides as the brand’s hybrid model. All Purple mattresses are non-toxic and hypoallergenic. Unlike traditional memory foam mattresses, Purple mattresses’ top grid layer provides sleepers with firmer support, so they don’t feel as if they’re “sinking in.”

• Firmness: The Original Purple mattress is a medium-firm mattress, generally ranking around 6/10 on the firmness scale. The New Purple mattress comes in three firmness levels: soft, medium and firm.
  • Sleeping position: Purple mattresses are designed for all sleeping positions, including side, stomach, and back.
  • Motion transfer: Purple’s Smart Comfort Grid is motion-isolating.
  • Edge support: The New Purple mattress has improved edge support.
  • Sleeping hot: Unlike traditional memory foam mattresses, the Smart Comfort Grid allows for consistent airflow and helps draw away body heat while you sleep.
purple mattress comfort

Purple mattress prices

Purple sells two mattress models: the Original Purple mattress and the New Purple mattress. Price ranges from $649-$1899, but the average Purple mattress cost is $999 for a queen. Financing is available.

Mattress SizeOriginal PurpleNew Purple
Twin$649$1299
Full$899$1499
Queen$999$1599
King$1299$1899
California King$1299$1899

Are Purple mattresses good?

Purple mattresses may be a great choice for anyone looking for an alternative to memory foam or traditional spring mattresses. The advanced Smart Grid Technology provides a lot of promise in the areas of pressure relief, body contouring, support and cooling. While prices are a bit higher than traditional middle-of-the-line innerspring mattresses, they’re about on par with foam mattresses, hybrid mattresses and other bed-in-a-box brands. With a 100-night risk-free trial, we think Purple mattresses are certainly worth trying.

Purple Mattress Reviews

Stars Rating

• 5%
  • 11%
  • 6%
  • 29%
  • 49%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purple Mattress?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purple Mattress?
    Verified purchase

Reviewed April 21, 2024

In June 2020 I purchased a Purple 3 king mattress for $2549. It only helped my back and hip injuries for 3 yrs. I saw DC and LMP, did not help after sleeping on this mattress again. I slept on 5 different beds at friends, relatives and hotel...no back pain! I went to the store, their answer was to sell me the adjustable

bed frame for $2000. It does not help! I needed a new mattress after only 3 yrs! The warranty says mattress needs to indent 1 in. But mine is less than that and I am now in pain every day with this mattress! The mattress is very heavy. This is horrible.

Profile pic of the author.
    Coverage

Reviewed March 17, 2024

We heard such great things. We went to a store and laid down on the mattress. It seemed really comfortable. We bought the Premier 3 which was the best mattress at the time, 2 pillows and the mattress cover (honestly best I've ever seen. Nothing gets through it. This was 2 1/2 years ago. From the get go, my fiancée thought it was too firm. We both find it uncomfortable now. It has lost its luster. It has expanded and I now use king sheets on a queen. It sags in the middle. We are mattress shopping and we spent $4500 on all of it. I'm giving it 2 instead of 1 stars because of the superb mattress cover. The pillows are decent too.

Get buying tips about Mattresses delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Profile pic of the author.
      Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed Jan. 16, 2024

The basic Purple Mattress I got was about $1500. Purple People claimed it was medium firm, I got the mattress and unrolled it, turns out this mattress is more like a waterbed in its softness. The bed is anything but firm. And while it isn't uncomfortable, it's so soft it's hard to get out of the bed. And if you have a bad back, forget this mattress! Or if you weigh more than 99 pounds, it's not the bed for you. As for the customer service from the Purple People, WOW! Super BAD. Dealing with them to return the mattress was like trying to pull out the Purple People's wisdom teeth! We finally settled, and they finally honored their free trial offer. So the service was so poor, so rude, and inconsiderate that I would never do business with these lowly llamas again, as long as I live. And for those considering a Purple Mattress, DON'T DO IT!

Reviewed Sept. 23, 2023

Now that I caught my breath, and feeling back pain, this mattress is far too heavy to easily lift and move around to change sheets. I do it while I struggle and curse, and wonder why I did not buy a different one! The store clerks did not mention that it was very heavy. And now I know why!

Customer ServiceClaims HandlingStaff

Reviewed Dec. 12, 2022

The shipping is absolutely terrible. It's been over two weeks and we still haven't received our almost $3,000 mattress. We've had FedEx show up at our house for a delivery with the mattress not even on the truck. Purple can't do anything and there's apparently no one to talk to @ fedex about the issue. I filed a claim- their response was, "Your package is out for delivery ery today" - this was 2 days ago and still nothing. It shipped from the same state, it's a few miles down the road and we were told by FedEx reps we can't just go pick it up it has to be approved through the store, etc..

Best believe Purple Mattress has got their money yet we STILL don't have the mattress. It's frustrating. I don't think the mattress is worth all this if it was what they claim it to be. They'd use better shipping protocol for their product for starters. This is customer service in America these days. Trash. And people that are there for a paycheck and not there for helping others or problem solving. They need to go over their business plans and create new ones because these PLANS SUCK FOR THE CONSUMERS!

Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed Dec. 6, 2022

PURPLE PLUS QUEEN SIZE. PROS: The purple mattress is amazingly comfortable (while it lasts). Sleeps cool. CONS: Very Pricey for a mattress. I bought mine 8 years ago and it was supposed to last 20 years, they have since changed their warranty to a 10 year warranty. I bought another one before doing research and despite the "100 night trial" they WILL NOT refund you the price of the bedframe DESPITE the fact that the bed frame was unopened. They also told me they will take out a fee for return shipping (I'll have to see how much they're charging and update this at the time).

Returns involve calling the customer service line AND THEN filling out an email form with the exact same (and some personal) information on a website. Normally, if you use the bed you will have to wait 21 days before you can return it BUT if you soil the bed or stain it during that time they can deny you a refund. NOW, all this information is on their website. so if you buy a purple mattress, MAKE SURE TO READ ALL THE FINE PRINT. At the end of the day: $1800+ for only 8 years is too much for a mattress.

Verified purchase
      Price

Reviewed Aug. 14, 2022

I spent $3200.00 on the Purple 3, 2 and a half years ago. It was great for about 1.5 years. For the past year, my husband has been sleeping in our recliner because it's more comfortable for him. I've decided to stick it out by sleeping in the bed and I wake up aches and miserable. The bed has permanently sunk in about half an inch and has lost its luster. Now we're trying to get our money back or at least a replacement from Purple, and the results remain to be seen. For the cost of this mattress, I'd expect it to last much longer than 2.5 years. Do yourself a favor, run and don't look back.

Claims Handling

Reviewed Aug. 1, 2022

I bought the weighted blanket from Purple and when I ordered it they told me if I refer someone to buy the same weighted blanket using my Purple referral link and they complete their 100 night trial period without returning the product we both would be sent a $70 Amazon gift card from Purple each. Well guess what? I referred the weighted blanket to my sister, which she bought WITH MY LINK, and on her 101st day of owning her $300 weighted blanket... I contacted Purple to claim our $70 Amazon gift cards each... to my surprise, they told us both to pound sand... no Amazon gift cards for us... why? BECAUSE BOTH ORDERS WERE SHIPPED TO THE SAME RESIDENTIAL ADDRESS...

What a COMPLETE nonsense of an excuse to weasel out of a reward payout. I argued with them for a whole hour that my LINK was used as a referral to generate business for them and my sister DID buy it (with HER name and HER credit card), but NOPE, they wouldn't honor their Amazon gift cards deal because both orders were shipped to the same house... Mind you, this was NEVER mentioned on the offer's fine print OR details when we made the purchases. My sister could have easily shipped it to a friend's house if we knew this detail. What are they really thinking here? Do they think that we're going to spend $600 on weighted blankets to scam the company out of $140 worth of Amazon gift cards by shipping 2 orders to the same address? LOL! What an asinine experience...

Since then, my policy is to avoid Purple. I will not give this company a single dollar now or in the future. We were treated badly over a dumb $70 Amazon gift card. I probably would have considered buying a Purple mattress (as I need a new mattress soon), but honestly, after my experience with the weighted blankets, I'm not giving them any business at all. They literally lost $1000s of dollars worth of future business from me over a dumb Amazon gift card. Avoid Purple as a company, they feed on the YouTube hype machine, I don't mind the weighted blanket that I bought from them, but it's nothing special really. You can buy ANY weighted blanket from ANYWHERE and it'll do the same exact thing. In fact, the purple model is really hard to wash and maintain. Taking it apart to wash it is very difficult and takes an hour+. Overall, very disappointed with their business practices, bad company and bad customer care.

Reviewed July 28, 2022

Had less than 2 years, side of mattress is separated, leaving a ridge that is uncomfortable. Purple said manufacturer defect, had to contact where purchased for warranty, now they tell me It's not, but will replace it or credit the amount of $1400 for different mattress or the cost of the mattress. (Was marked 100% + $2999.) I have to pay difference, still paying on the one I purchased. Purchased from Denver Mattress. What a rip off, warranty useless...

Customer Service

Reviewed July 12, 2022

Customer service is poor. Purchased a mattress from Purple in 2019, delivery service was poor. They just dropped it off at the house (I was home) did not set it up. Powerbase for mattress dropped working within a year. Purple will not issue any warranty service as it was manufactured by Reverie. Reverie does not respond to inquiries either by phone or e-mail. The name "Purple" is all over the powerbase frame. It was purchased through Purple. My experience with Purple and Reverie customer service has been poor. The bed is okay but I would advise trying another mattress company if you want good customer service.

Purple Mattress Company Information