Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Homeowners

Take a Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Pottery Barn Reviews

Original review: July 31, 2019

I ordered a cabinet in February 2019. In March I was sent an email that it was now being delivered in April. The end of April I was told it would be in May. At the end of May I was sent another email it was now being sent in June. At the end of June it was reschedule for August. So, after many delays with no firm delivery date, I called to cancel the order because we are moving. Customer Service said they have no way of cancelling an order from a third party company that was in charge of the cabinet. Terrible terrible service.

Original review: July 31, 2019

I purchased bedding online using a gift card and paid the balance with a credit card. Two days after placing the order, I realized that Pottery Barn was having a 25% sale on bedding. I called customer service to see how they could apply the discount to my order. 1) They would NOT apply the 25% discount to the order placed. 2) And, even if I took 1.5 hours out of my day to go into the store to return and repurchase the item, there was NO WAY to make it work. When I return the item, instead of getting an immediate credit, it would take 10 days for them to MAIL me the credit. So not possible to repurchase the item during the 5 days the sale was on.

In today's retail world this is crazy:
        - that they are inflexible to apply a discount 2 days after the purchase was made

- when an item is returned in the store, that a credit is MAILED to you and takes 10 days.

I called to speak with 4 different customer service representatives, including a supervisor, and nothing was done to resolve the issue. There was NOT a feeling that they place the customer first. They have lost any future business from me.

Original review: July 31, 2019

Read reviews before buying at Pottery Barn. I wish I had! I would never have ordered from them if I had read their poor reviews and realized what I would be in for! Their customer service is terrible. They do not deliver as promised. They are not helpful resolving problems. They lied to me about my order delay. My delivery date got later and later with every person I talked to. Parts were missing or never ordered. When it came time for my bed to come in. I received a random email from them saying an order for a headboard had been placed on July 1st and my new delivery date was August 25-Sept 5th with no other explanation. I had no idea what was going on and neither did my salesperson. My original order for a whole bed was placed at the end of May and was to be delivered mid July, so I was puzzled when I received this email.

I spent a week calling CS trying to track down what this was all about and I was told a different story by every person I talked to. No one ever called me back as they promised either. I was finally told the headboard was not sent, only the side rails and foot board, so they reordered a new headboard and now I had to wait another whole 9 weeks delivery time. No rush order, no help from CS, no offer to help resolve this in any way, no call backs, nothing. This was just the beginning of the problems.

After the headboard finally came in they told me the side rails were never here and I had to wait another 9 week delivery period to get them. So someone lied to me about this when they told me this story. They wanted to deliver the headboard to me and have me wait for the rest of the bed not knowing if or when it would show up; if the dye lots would match or if the pieces would line up since they were all made at separate times. At that point I said, No way! My 5-8 week delivery time was turning into maybe 15-17 weeks and it was coming in pieces made at different times. This was suppose to be a custom-made upholstered king bed. Save yourself the trouble and shop somewhere else! I've wasted all this time with PB and now have to start looking elsewhere. I will never shop at Pottery Barn for furniture again! Not the company I thought it was!

Original review: July 30, 2019

I have been searching for the perfect coffee table, and I thought I found it. I ordered July 1st, it takes 6-8 weeks to deliver and charges 139.00 extra for delivery. They emailed to confirm delivery, confirmed delivery date, then less than 24 hours before delivery called to say the coffee table went missing in transit and they needed 48 hours to locate it, and reschedule the shipment. After 48 hours, the coffee table is still missing, they act like no big deal, they will just refund me, or I can wait 6-8 weeks for another coffee table. I used to work for Pottery Barn, and I loved their customer service, but that was 20 years ago. I don't even recognize the same company. The absolute worst customer service ever. When I call to check in they act like I am inconveniencing them, and I have been on hold for over 30 minutes.

Original review: July 30, 2019

I was very excited to order a custom upholstered bed from Pottery Barn for our new house. We waited 6 weeks (expected) for the bed to be made and shipped, and when it arrived it was missing parts that should have been built in to the headboard. We decided to re-order the bed, wait another 6 weeks to receive the same bed, which then broke within 2 weeks, the inside frame that is WOOD cracked on one side. I reached out to customer service, very delayed response. Sent pictures and was told we would get parts shipped and a medic to come to the house. It's now 2 months later, I just got a confirmation that parts were shipped and I now have to wait 5 WEEKS for the parts to arrive. It's now 8 months after the original order. Never again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pottery Barn?

Original review: July 30, 2019

We purchased two sets of curtains from Pottery Barn online which is owned by Williams-Sonoma in March 2019. We returned one set of curtains within the 30 day requirement on April 6th, 2019 and should have received a credit on my Pottery Barn credit card of $290.00. I never received the credit and ended up paying the entire statement for both curtains back in April 2019. I called Pottery Barn customer service on May 22 and was told that the Lincoln Park Pottery Barn store where I returned the curtains made a mistake and labeled the return as not refundable. Customer Service told me that they will recode the return and that my credit card would be refunded in the amount of $290.00. On June 22nd, I still did not receive the credit and called customer service again. I was on the phone for 15 minutes and they transferred me to the Chicago store where I was told that I would receive a check in the mail for the $290.00.

On July 9th, I still did not receive the refund and called customer service again. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was on hold over 35 minutes only to be told that a supervisor would call me back within 72 hours. I ended up calling again that evening and spoke to Larry who advised me that the check was in the mail and if they had to cancel the check and send it again, they would deduct $90.00 – even though my return cashiers slip shows a return of $290.00 plus tax of $29.70. I called again on July 24th and spoke to Joe ** for over 45 minutes. He said that the problem is that Pottery Barn wants to issue me a store credit since they think it was a gift due to a different shipping address than my address in Michigan.

I own a condo in Chicago that my daughter lives in and I purchased the curtains and it was not a gift. It was not ordered as a gift and as a result, based on the fact that it was returned within the 30 days, I should receive a credit in the form of how it was originally paid in accordance with their return policy (see attached) – on my Pottery Barn credit card. They were ordered online and we had the receipt in the form of the email receipt. Their return policy states that the customer can return eligible items within 30 days for a full refund.

Joe assured me that he would call me back on Friday, 26 July after he spoke to the corporate office because he said that clearly this was not a gift. Joe did not call me back until Monday 29 July only to tell me that corporate will not issue me a credit on my credit card and instead want to give me a store credit because they still feel that this is a gift. I will not accept a store credit. This was never ordered as a gift and we had the the receipt when the curtains were returned showing we would receive a $290.00 refund plus tax of $29.70. The worst customer service department that I have ever dealt with. They have had my money for over 4 months and I still do not see a end in sight.

Original review: July 27, 2019

I ordered a special order ottoman based on the description on the website. The ottoman I received was 2" higher than the website description. When I called Pottery Barn I was passed around from department to department and rep to rep. In the end no one would respond or help me. So now I have an ottoman that is 2" taller than the chair it goes with. I have purchased so much from Pottery Barn and I am very disappointed in their product and customer service over the last year. Not sure what has happened but I won't buy anything else from them.

Original review: July 27, 2019

I purchased the Pottery Barn Seagrass Bed in February 2019. I cancelled the order on July 13 (approximately 5 mos. later because it still had not been delivered). The rep who cancelled my order confirmed that my PB charge card had been charged, refunded, and then charged again for the bed, even though I never received it. The rep told me when she cancelled my order that it could take a couple of days for the refund to appear on my charge card. It has been two weeks - still no refund. I just checked the email regarding the cancellation of my order, and it says “your card was not charged.” Thus, it appears that PB has no intention of refunding my money. I must have made more than than 30 inquiries about this bed over the past 5 months.

In May, PB finally called to schedule delivery of my Sausalito dresser. I inquired about the Seagrass bed and was reassured that it would be on the delivery truck, too. On June 1, the dresser was delivered without the bed. I called almost every weekend thereafter and got shuffled around from person to person. Each time I was assured that the bed would be delivered within 2 or 3 weeks. Finally, on July 6, I explained to a customer service rep that that my elderly parents were coming to stay with me in a few weeks and that the bed was for them to sleep in. I explained that the mattress was just lying on the floor and that they could not get up and down from the floor to sleep. I told the PB rep that I needed to cancel the order within a few days to make sure I had sufficient time to order a bed elsewhere for delivery by July 28.

The PB rep encouraged me not to cancel, stating that it absolutely would be in the warehouse ready to ship by July 13. I called back on July 13, and the rep with whom I spoke told me there was no bed waiting for me. That rep said she could not fathom why the prior rep had told me the bed would arrive within one week. So I cancelled the order. I was a regular PB customer and have spent tens of thousands of dollars there and at PB Kids in the past 10 years. You would think that they would offer me something for my trouble - a loaner bed from their in-stock selections, some rewards points, a different bed at 50 percent off or even free, or free shipping on my next order.

PB didn’t even offer so much as a $10 gift card for my trouble, and weeks later, PB still has retained all of my money that I paid for the bed. I ended up ordering a similar bed from Joss & Main. Today the bed was delivered without the headboard. In contrast to PB’s attitude, the Joss & Main rep apologized profusely, offered to pay for my rental and delivery of a rental bed, offered me free delivery on the order and free white glove assembly when the bed does arrive. I received telephone calls with apologies from 3 different managers, including the delivery company and another apology sent by text. What a difference.

Original review: July 26, 2019

PB apparently restricts delivery options with UPS. I don't have the option to have it held at my UPS store. I will be out of town, live in the city and these will definitely be stolen! ALL the onus is on me to spend 45 minutes on the phone yesterday and call back Monday when I don't have them. How can they make decisions that restrict my ability to control my deliveries as I see fit??? HORRIBLE policy. Will never buy from a Williams-Sonoma store again!

Original review: July 21, 2019

I purchased within the last year two bedroom sets of furniture living room home decor dining room sectional, etc. I received many reward certificates as I spent at least $20,000. Since last November I have been confused as to why my balance was reduced as it should have been. Customer service was not helpful. I was suspicious not to mention furious.

In the statement of this month, in fine print, it says errors were made in not deducting rewards and finance charges being applied. I advised them I will not pay another dime until this is resolved. I suspect Pottery Barn owes me money. Be aware that when you redeem these reward certificates, PB does not subtract the amount from the order but they are to notify Comenity bank to do this. Therein lies the problem. It is a real mess. I’m furious. I will no longer purchase a thing from them. I encourage you all to please look at your bill and the fine print indicating they made errors as above.

Original review: July 15, 2019

I purchased the small Hendrix desk. We loved it and got many compliments. However, the drawer fell off within 3 years. I believe it was because the screws that hold the drawer on are too short. I would attach a photo if I could. There is only about 1/4" of each screw that attaches the drawer to the frame. I contacted Pottery Barn about this and they will not stand behind their product. They have a policy of covering things within 1 year of purchase, so the drawer falling off my desk was "wear and tear". The customer service woman who assisted me asked whether I would expect the soles on a pair of shoes to not wear away. When buying a piece of furniture that you expect to last, I recommend going somewhere else for quality.

Original review: July 12, 2019

If you have reward points and don’t use them all in one purchase, you forfeit the rest. I had 725, made a $60 purchase, not knowing this, and lost 665 points, or $665. Customer service was no help at all!

Original review: July 9, 2019

We ordered a bed on May 9, 2019. It was promised in June but never arrived. Now it's July and the Pottery Barn decorator had no idea why it failed to arrived. She promised it by July 10th but today we received a notice of a September delivery. In June, we ordered furnishings to match the bed. The order arrived 2 weeks later. Now we have the dresser, nightstands, rug, comforters, shams and wall decor, but we do not have the bed that everything was to match.

No one can give us a definite delivery date, and no one seems to care. They act like it's no big deal and that's how they do business. The decorator says, "I'll just cancel the bed order for you since I can't say for sure if/when you'll get it." Pottery Barn customer service says they can't tell us when the bed will be delivered so if we would like they'll just send someone to our home to pick up all of the items that were delivered and cancel everything. Is this really how the company does business? We spent thousands and have found that absolutely no one cares if they have our business or if we are provided with any firm delivery dates for our orders. It has been the most frustrating purchase imaginable, and I would not recommend it to anyone. What a nightmare.

Original review: July 8, 2019

I ordered a bed in May 2019, first attempt at delivery on June 22, wrong piece send, NO DELIVERY! Replaced the order, second attempt, on July 6, delivered pieces, foot board was broken!! So still we have no bed! Worst customer service, they keep saying they are sorry, but nothing done to remedy!! I would never deal with them again! PLEASE TAKE YOUR MONEY AND SHOP SOMEWHERE ELSE!!

Original review: July 7, 2019

We ordered an oval marble dining room table and waited five weeks for its arrival. It arrived: "CRACKED" and had to be refused. Customer service was pathetic. We requested to speak with a supervisor many times on different calls. No effort was made to help us. Truly pathetic service. We did however receive a full refund which was the least they could do. I would never deal with them again. Read the multiple one star reviews.

Original review: July 7, 2019

1. The back cushions sagged after a couple of months of our pets lying on top of them. We have cats. The stuffing is too soft and it doesn’t go back to shape, so it always looks unkempt.

2. The slipcover doesn’t fit well, so you get that shabby chic look almost immediately, since the slipcover sags.

3. The hardware that keeps the pieces together is ridiculously difficult to work. You can connect the pieces only if you don’t have the slipcover on, but then once the pieces are together you can’t possibly fit the slipcover on. Terrible design. I will never buy another thing from Pottery Barn.

Original review: July 6, 2019

I bought a set of Monstera lead wall hooks from Pottery Barn. First off, they arrived in fine condition but really appear a lot more cheaply made than the price ($59). After purchasing but before arriving to my house, the price dropped to $39. I called customer service to see if they could help me price match themselves. "No ma'am, there's no way to price match. Can't help with that." Instead she suggests that I can try to return these and then repurchase. Fine, so I start the process of returning and repurchasing with the service representative. Turns out that JUST TO RETURN, I must pay something like $12. That is ridiculous. In the era of Amazon, Target and other no fee/easy return companies, I am appalled that Pottery Barn makes so little attempt to retain customers. I will happily be taking my business elsewhere in the future. 2 stars only because the representative was nice, if not helpful.

Original review: July 4, 2019

Have always coveted the slip covered Pottery Barn couch. However, due to cost, it was out of my reach for quite some time. Finally...I bought the couch! After a short while, perhaps a month, the fabric was pilling. I brought in one of the cushions to the store to show them. They informed me that particular fabric was being recalled and they would replace it. Lovely! No problem. I chose the highest available upgrade, Sunbrella fabric, and was very happy with the choice. However, now it has been perhaps two years, and the fabric is again pilling - in areas nobody actually sits! Sunbrella fabric is very tightly woven and is not intended to pill at all. Ever. Not happy. I wish I would have gone to IKEA or somewhere else where they have a VERY similar product (slip-covered sectionals are not hard to find; I had just always wanted a PB one). What was my happiest furniture purchase ever turned into my biggest furniture regret.

Original review: July 4, 2019

We purchased a couch in November, 2017. After only 18 months with only one person using the couch, the bottom cushion is disintegrating and the back cushion (which is down) is unfluffable. While the store manager in the Santa Barbara store tried to help us, they would not replace the cushions. In fact, they wanted to charge us to replace the inserts. Very poor customer service. I’ll never buy another piece of furniture from them again.

Original review: July 3, 2019

I got a $450 reward certificate after buying a sofa. I then ordered a coffee table and submitted the certificate. It was not deducted from my bill 2 different times. Still not ok. No help at customer service.

Original review: June 26, 2019

I bought dishes from Pottery Barn. Some of the pieces were broken when they arrived so I decided to return all I had received and canceled the remainder of my order. They are not giving me credit for the dishes I have returned so I am having to pay for dishes I no longer have. I have called them 3 times and each time they tell me someone will contact me. No one has contacted me! I am very disappointed in this company. They have terrible customer service and I will never purchase another item from them.

Original review: June 25, 2019

Per section 3.c of the Pottery Barn Rewards Program the Terms and Conditions state the “reward dollars” do not expire for 36 months. Note carefully in section 4 it's stated that “reward certificates” expire after 180 days of issue. The terminology is key and quite confusing - you receive 'reward dollars' and then these are redeemed for a 'reward certificate'. I had $425 in “reward dollars” that expired because, apparently, Pottery Barn automatically issues/redeems the dollars to a 'reward certificate' WITHOUT a consumer request which means that they auto-expire in 180 days versus the program terms of 36 months. Very deceptive and potentially illegal?

So, I tried to dispute on the phone with Comenity Bank. I was told to write a letter, which I did on February 20th. Without a response to my letter, I waited 4 months and called again around June 20th and was told "we never refresh expired reward dollars" and that the dispute department doesn't have a phone line and someone would call me - after another 5 days I have yet to hear from the dispute department. Poor customer service and a poor and deceptive rewards program. Buyer beware.

Original review: June 25, 2019

We ordered the Logan Entertainment Center from the PB store in NYC. It came when scheduled and the delivery crew were very good and did a nice job setting up the unit. However, there were three issues - two that I saw immediately, and one we discovered later. First, the bridge was a different color than the rest of the pieces. I don't mean everything was white and the bridge was brown. I mean everything was white and the bridge was a yellow-ish shade of white. Second, one of the doors on the center console was crooked. Unfortunately there are no adjustments on the hinges so this could not be fixed. Later we found the third problem - an indent on the upper shelf unit.

The delivery crew took pics and said they'd notify customer service. Not sure if they did or not because we called customer service anyway. They agreed to re-deliver the three pieces - the bridge, the center console and the upper shelving unit. That delivery came today. And, wouldn't you know it, the new bridge is STILL a noticeably different shade of white, the top corner of the center console is pushed in, and the upper shelving unity has damage in a different spot than the original one. What the actual F?! Supposedly the items were "checked" at the warehouse before they were packed and delivered. Well, clearly there's a big gaping hole in the PB quality assurance process.

So far this is a 2-star review. After all, half of the unit looks OK, and they did respond to the first problem. Let's see how this second CS call goes. I've purchased PB furniture in the past on more than one occasion and never had an issue with the items. I don't know if this is just a coincidence or if PB has gone downhill. Will wait to see how this resolves itself, but I'll definitely consider other options before going back to PB.

Original review: June 24, 2019

Ordered a present for my boyfriend's birthday and gave two plus weeks for delivery as I live on Maui. Paid 10 for shipping and two weeks later still no gift. Finally through post office found out they put it on a slow boat to me and have another three weeks to wait for item. Customer service sucked (except for Joyce) and I will never order from them again. You shouldn’t either!

Original review: June 24, 2019

I ordered two outdoor chairs over the phone from a “flash sale” that turned up in my inbox. The price seemed too good to be true which is why I called my order in so that I could confirm the price. I Was told that indeed the items were heavily discounted. I placed my order and used rewards points to pay for it. A few weeks later I received notification that my order had been delayed. I called again to confirm that the items were the ones pictured in the flash sale advert. I was again reassured that they were. Then I received an email confirming the sale but not for the items I thought I had ordered.

When I again called customer service I was told that there was nothing they could do. (It turns out that the order was for slip covers only, not the chairs - even though I called three times to confirm!) They told me I could not return the items, I could not get back my rewards points, and even though they freely admitted that the ad was very misleading, and three customer service people confirmed that the items I was ordering were the chairs and not just slip covers, they take no responsibility because their ad was wrong and - “there’s a disclaimer in the ad that says they cannot he held responsible for any misprints.”

10 hours on the phone with Margaret, Kwan, Jen, Jennifer, Sharon, Myrna, and Tiara and still no solution. They have admitted that their sales person and subsequent customer service person gave me incorrect information and that it’s totally their fault. Margaret told me she would intercept the order and credit my rewards points, Kwan told me to refuse the order when it was delivered, Sharon told me that she would issue a merchandise credit in the amount of my list rewards points, never came. Tiara admitted it was never issued and promised to send it in “3-5 business days”. That was that was 12 days ago. She also gave me her direct line in case something went wrong - but she never answers it. I leave messages but no return call. I’ve spoken to customer service and “leadership”. Not sure what to do next. I know they want me to give up.

Original review: June 23, 2019

I ordered two rugs on-line and they were delivered quickly. A week later, the rugs were on sale and I called customer service to ask for a price adjustment. The customer representative informed me that Pottery Barn does not do price adjustments.....really? I told her my rugs were just delivered yesterday and they are still in the packages so I could return them and buy two new ones for the lower price. She said that's what I would need to do in order to get the lower price. That policy is so ridiculous.

Original review: June 21, 2019

I bought a bed for my 2 year-old. It was not going to be delivered for several months so I cancelled the order. The customer service rep told me she was cancelling the order. Flash forward 3 months later and Pottery Barn Kids charged my credit card over $400. I called customer service again. They refunded the tax to my credit card but told me I would receive a check for the remainder. They send a gift card instead. I called customer service yet again. They told me that they would cancel the gift card and to wait 7-10 business days for the refund to post on my account. That never happened. After multiple calls, I was told that Pottery Barn Kids has no way to refund my money FOR A BED THAT WAS NEVER DELIVERED and that I have to live with a $400 gift card. For a store that I will NEVER again patronize. I had to call customer service 10 different times and was given the run-around. I just want my money back! This is unacceptable.

Original review: June 18, 2019

Long story short, 5 weeks later furniture is nowhere to be found. They can’t locate it and Pottery Barn offers no solutions. I guess since they got their money they aren’t concerned. Horrible customer service, and I’d go as far as to say fraudulent. Will never place large order again with this mega store with no customer service!

Original review: June 17, 2019

I have to say up front, buying from Pottery Barn is the worst high end furniture buying experience I've ever had. In January we ordered a custom couch and we were told that it would take a while since it was custom made. That was fine with us given our desire for custom features. Where the issue comes in is that we were told it would arrive some time in mid May. Again, that's a long time to wait but those were the expectations set and we agreed to those expectations. Well, here we are in mid June as I write this review and still no couch. The frustrating piece is trying to get Customer Service to tell us when we can expect it and we can't get a clear answer. You'd think this was a low end furniture shop with their lack of transparency on when the furniture will arrive. We are simply told "it's in transit and could be here in a week to two weeks." We've called customer service at least 5 times through this terrible ordeal and never get a clear answer.

At least up to this point I hadn't paid for the couch but today they hit my credit card for the full amount which triggered me calling them again to get an answer on when we could expect the couch. Guess what? The same runaround we've been getting only this time they said "no refunds even if I canceled the order" and they still can tell me where my couch is. How crazy is this? Buyers stay as far away from Pottery Barn and custom furniture as you can. This has been a terrible experience for a very expensive piece of furniture. I'll never buy from Pottery Barn again after this experience.

Original review: June 13, 2019

BEWARE THE DREADED "BACKORDER". I bought a dresser/changing table for my baby from Pottery Barn Kids. I put the order in over 8 months ago. When I purchased the dresser, they said that it would take 2 months to fulfill the order. That was perfect because it synced up with the time my son would be born. As soon as the two months was up, I did not receive my dresser, I look at the status of my order and it turns out it is pushed back 2 more weeks. Fine. 2 weeks later it’s pushed back another month. Okay. The month rolls by and it says another two week. This cycle goes on over the next 8 months and still no table!

I gave them a call 5 weeks ago (7 months later) to figure out where my dresser is and what is the holdup. The woman tells me that they are waiting for the manufacturer to fulfill the order and as soon as it’s done they will ship it out. If they can't fulfill the order because they don't have the product, I would call that SOLD OUT. Don't just take my money, give me numerous dates of delivery, and keep pushing it back, and just call that a "backorder". You don't have it. It’s sold out. Apparently they're waiting for Jesus himself to rise back up and make this freaking dresser.

When I confronted customer service, she said she would send me emails regarding my order, when there is movement, and notes about our call and all this other great stuff. I haven't received one thing. Honestly one of the absolute worst companies I've ever had to deal with. If you don't have a product, CALL IT SOLD OUT! Don't just steal your customers money and not deliver, then blame it on the manufacturer.

Pottery Barn Company Information