2. Homeowners
  3. Furniture Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.33/5
Based on 1,555 ratings submitted in the last year

Pottery Barn Reviews

Original review: May 15, 2020

We ordered our furniture and were told we'd receive it within a couple weeks. After the couple weeks passed, we called customer service to inquire about status, after several 30 minute waits and transfers, we were told we needed to call the last mile delivery company separately. After waiting for 20 minutes to talk to them, they said they were missing a piece and that's why they hadn't called us to schedule. Then we had to call Pottery Barn back and ask about the missing pieces. They showed that all pieces were there, so they called the delivery company directly (not sure why they couldn't have done that originally), who then said the piece was there and wasn't missing. They then scheduled delivery for a week later and never showed up. We called to ask what happened, and they told us we rescheduled the day of transit, which never happened and was a flat out lie. Then they said a piece was damaged and they needed to order a replacement.

We then spent 4 hours trying to get the right person from Pottery Barn on the phone again to verify, who could do nothing other than call the warehouse and confirm their story. Having no faith the delivery company would deliver on their promise, we choose to cancel our order after a month of waiting and countless hours on hold. We will never shop Pottery Barn again. Pottery Barn needs to recognize that they need shorter wait times or a call back service, and that the outsourced delivery company's actions directly reflect on their brand.

Original review: May 12, 2020

I purchased a couch on November 3, 2019. It's May 12, 2020 and still no couch. Six months and waiting! Customer service has been awful. Pretty much same experience as other reviewers. No one at Pottery Barn customer service has a clue - they just read whatever the status order says on their computers (basically what I can read on their website when I check on my order). Somehow the couch got lost at a distribution center but no one wants to admit it. Meanwhile I keep getting the runaround. I've spent hours on the phone with various departments. And here I am still waiting...

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: May 12, 2020

I ordered finials and paid extra $33 to get next day delivery. I was supposed to receive them on May 7th and the last email said I am to receive them May 12th. No apologies. No explanation. If next day delivery was not possible, they shouldn’t have allowed me to select it. Very disappointed.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: May 8, 2020

DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY!! They will NOT do price adjustments for items that go on sale a few days after you purchase the item. They will also charge you for the delivery fee if you try to cancel your order even though NO SHIP NOTICE has been provided. We are highly disappointed as we have bought many things from this company before and thought they were reputable.

Original review: May 7, 2020

I bought a couch, chair and ottoman. Couch and chair came, ottoman did not. The chair had nails sticking out of the bottom that put 2 long scratches (10 and 12 inches) on my nice hardwood floor. The seam on the back of chair was coming apart. The couch and chair seat cushions started to flatten like an couch in old days. I requested a return. I am still being charged for ottoman that I never received in addition to finance charge $217.43. I have been disconnected with customer several times after very long hold times. I would not ever buy furniture from Pottery Barn or anything else.

Pottery Barn response

Hello Cynthia,

Thank you for reaching out. I am so sorry to hear this and I would to speak with you personally so I can make things right. At your convenience please email me at support@potterybarn.com with your order details. I look forward to hearing from you.

Kindest Regards,
    Susan D.

Pottery Barn

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pottery Barn?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: April 28, 2020

I love Pottery Barn's style and have been a long time customer but after my last couple of furniture purchases I will not be buying anymore. Purchased a kitchen table we hardly used and the black paint was peeling within a couple of months! I sent in pictures to the Knoxville store where I purchased and they were not willing to do anything about it which I think is pretty shabby. I also purchased outdoor furniture and same type of issues within a very short amount of time. I purchased about 6 pieces of furniture around the same time but different pieces and every single one had issues. After talking to some friends and designers they have told me the same thing! WAY overpriced and VERY poor quality. I feel like their accessories hold up better but no more furniture for me!

Original review: April 26, 2020

I get emails from Pottery Barn and got one saying a sale that was in progress was ending that day. I was looking at ordering furniture from them online so I dropped what I was doing and went ahead and put the order together and submitted it before the sale ended. To my surprise, the next day I got an email from Pottery Barn announcing a NEW sale - several of the items I had just ordered were priced lower than the day before. I sent an email to Pottery Barn customer service requesting the price be adjusted on the items I had ordered less than 24 hours earlier. Although they say they will reply in 24-48 hours I did not get a reply for a week - in which they informed me they would not adjust the price of the sale items. I have never had such an experience - every retailer I have dealt with has always adjusted a price in such a circumstance. I will not be ordering from them again.

Original review: April 25, 2020

I ordered the Big Sur sectional from the local Pottery Barn store on 1/1/2020. At the time of purchase I was told that, since the fabric we chose requires the couch be “custom” built, we could expect our couch to be done at the end of February and we wouldn’t be charged for the couch until it shipped out. Here we are over 2 months past the original delivery date and still no couch and a $6k charge on my credit card. Depending on who to talk to in the social media department, I receive a different response as to where my couch is. “They are waiting on 2 pieces to arrive”. “They were only missing 1 piece and it was sent to the Delivery Center. They should call in 1-2 weeks for delivery.” So which is it, 1 or 2 pieces? Am I being told the wrong thing so I will wait for another 2 weeks before contacting back?

My favorite are the Customer Service and Social Media reps that reply to “Can I get an update” question with “your item will be delivered by...." That shipment window has moved 6 times so giving me that answer is wrong on so many levels. I just want the truth. I can handle the truth. Stop being so deceptive and just say “we have no idea.”

Original review: April 20, 2020

I ordered a wooden wall art from Pottery Barn on April 2, 2020. It said it would be shipped to me no later than April 16th or 17th. I kept checking the order to see if it had been shipped and it kept saying it was back ordered. Once April 16th came and went I called customer service was told that it should be to me by the next day. Well... the 17th came and went and nothing. So, I called customer service again - waited online for over 1/2 an hour - was told the same thing - they could not tell when it was going to ship, but other people were complaining about their orders as well and the male associate said “I am not sure what you want me to do about it.” SO - I asked to speak to a manager. I waited on hold for several more minutes - got transferred to another customer service rep instead of a manager and had to be transferred again - another 10-15 minute wait.

Finally a manager took my call and said that there was a glitch in their system that only happens a few times a year and my order was not allocating the product to it so she would try to have it sent to another warehouse to ship - this was on a Friday. Over the weekend the product said it would be to me by April 22, 2020 - I decided to call and check on things Monday April 20, 2020 - the customer service rep kept me on hold for 33 minutes and came back and said the manager has sent a request to a new warehouse, but they would not know for a few days if the order would be fulfilled - not what I had been told on Friday - I was assured my order would be fulfilled.

SO again I asked to speak to manager... Customer service rep put me on hold for it was about 45 minutes at this point - and said she was looking for a manager... Then the phone hung up and I was disconnected. NO ONE BOTHERED CALLING ME BACK! This was my first big purchase from PB and I am highly disappointed and disgusted with this company - thought they had way more of a reputable company than this!

Original review: April 18, 2020

I purchased the Pearce square arm sofa with chaise from Pottery Barn. It was comfortable in the store and seemed good quality. I have owned the sofa for a little over a year and really wish I had spend more and gotten better quality. The sofa cushions (and I believe the lower base) have "settled", we feel like we are sitting in a whole. We now are sitting on pillows to make it more comfortable, which is crazy since it is just my husband and I, no kids or pets. I should have read a few reviews before I purchased. I am so disappointed with this purchase. Pottery Barn does an awesome job marketing their merchandise but I agree with others, it is not worth what I paid. I did have a good experience with all the sales people I worked with.

Pottery Barn Company Information