2. Homeowners

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.48/5
Based on 1,915 ratings submitted in the last year

Pottery Barn Reviews

Original review: June 28, 2018

I ordered a personalized (name on it) step stool for my granddaughter. It took SEVEN WEEKS for the item to be delivered. When it was delivered, there was no name on the step stool. When I called customer service they indicated that Pottery Barn had decided to discontinue the item so they did not put a name on the stool. Are you kidding me! The customer service person then said, "What do you want to do, do you want to return it." That would mean I would have to box it up and drive 20 miles to the nearest UPS store. And at that point I would have nothing after waiting seven weeks. Pottery Barn should have notified me early on that the stool would not be personalized. I then could have gone to another vendor. What kind of company treats its customers with so little regard.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I am actually nauseous after reading these reviews and kicking myself for not reading them before I ordered a brass bed from Pottery Barn. I really liked the way the bed looked and was described so, despite misgivings about the price, I decided to make the purchase. The bed is special order and I was told it would take 6-8 weeks which seemed like a long wait but I accepted that and attempted to plan the delivery of our new mattress (from an online company) to coincide with the delivery of the bed. 8 weeks later... no call but the UPS tracking website said that “delivery could be scheduled”... I assumed that meant the bed was in.

I waited another day and then I called to see what the delay was and was told (after 3 calls, several transfers and two hang ups totally about 45 minutes) that the bed was in but scheduling was very busy so I would hear from them by the end of business later that day... I did not. I called the following day and again (after a long delay and several transfers) was told that I would hear back later that day and the bed could be delivered in the next few days. Trying to be proactive, we took the old bed apart and donated it so that the space would be clear for the new bed and we scheduled the mattress to be delivered 5 days later which would ensure plenty of time to get the bed delivered first.

When I didn’t hear again the following day, I called and this time I was told that the bed was still in California... we are in New Jersey. I explained that I was told that the bed was going to be delivered to my house in the next few days and now I no longer have a bed to sleep in and how do you lose a king sized brass bed? The rep put me on hold to review the case and then came back on to let me know that the bed was in transit on two trucks and only one had arrived in New Jersey and they weren’t sure where the other truck was so they would call me when it arrives in New Jersey. I felt like I was being “Punk’d” and asked to speak to a supervisor. I was put on hold and then disconnected.

I was stunned and now angry, called back and, after more than 25 minutes, another rep listened to the entire story again and then apologized, put me on hold to review the case and then came back on to say that the rest of the bed would be in the following Monday at the latest (this was Thursday) and someone would call to schedule delivery by Monday afternoon. I was grateful that this rep was at least kind so I thanked her and hoped that I would hear back the next day, which did not happen. Monday, no call. Today is Wednesday. Still no call. The mattress was delivered today so now I have a new mattress on the bedroom floor but no bed. Still not sure where the bed actually is.

This afternoon I decided that enough is enough and I called to cancel the order. I would rather buy a bed from Ikea or Wayfair who actually deliver when they say they will and for free! So after my daily 20 minute wait to speak to a rep from “furniture” I was told that this is a “special” order and is non-refundable. UNBELIEVABLE and UNACCEPTABLE! I run a company and I would be mortified and outraged if my staff treated anyone the way that Pottery Barn has treated me (and apparently hundreds of others)...

I NEVER write reviews. I have NEVER made a formal complaint against a company before. However, I am now hellbent on getting the word out about the incredibly bad service one can expect if you are naive enough to order from Pottery Barn based solely on their hype like I did. I will NEVER buy another thing from any of their stores and I will tell everyone I know about this experience to save them from repeating the same mistake. And I still do not have the overpriced bed that I ordered and paid for.

Original review: June 28, 2018

This isn't so much about the defective product. Yes, we ordered the two City Glass Pendants for $300 plus tax and shipping, and they had crooked light sockets that we couldn't see were an issue until they were hung by a licensed electrician. Yes, Pottery Barn sent us complimentary replacements. But the problem came when we asked PB about having to pay another $160 to the electrician to remove the defective product and hang the new ones, which is not a cost we should have incurred. I think most anyone would agree that a good company who cares about their customers would do the right thing and offer to pay that fee, especially with a parent company worth $2.34 BILLION! We were first told by a customer service rep that we could get an estimate from the electrician and that PB would "figure something out" to help cover that cost.

When we called back with the estimate, somehow there was no record of that phone call. After spending an hour on the phone with "Customer Service", we were first offered a $25 coupon, then that person's superior offered us a random $93. Then that person's superior said, and I quote, "We are a business in the business of making money." So their customer service IS NOT HERE FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE! (There's a recording, Pottery Barn/Williams Sonoma, you can pull it up from 6/26/18.)

We were told we'd hear back in 24-72 hours after demanding to speak to that person's supervisor since person, Ty, did not have authority to oblige with our reasonable request. I am appalled that any business would ever say this to a customer. I've had some pretty bad customer service issues and stupidly kept buying from this company whose product and customer service has nosedived in recent years. PB, Williams Sonoma, West Elm, Mark & Graham and Rejuvenation will never see another penny from us again. Disgusting how they treat longtime customers.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I purchased down pillow inserts, a down feather bed - as well as several $$$ worth of home items - in anticipation of moving to a new home. The down items had a strange smell when they arrived, but I attributed it to being a new item/packaging. I’ve followed all of the recommendations for protective covers and regular cleaning, yet the products literally smell like a barnyard of dirty feathers. My boyfriend calls the pillows the “dead bird pillows,” which is sadly what they smell like. We do not have pets nor poor hygiene to attribute to this odor. I’ve never had an issue with the quality of ANY of their products until now, and I’ve been a loyal customer for greater than a decade.

Per customer service, the “refund time” was only 30 days; however, for the expense of purchasing a supposed “quality” product, the company should review this policy. I am not asking for money back - I am asking for customer satisfaction, whether it be synthetic alternatives to the down or a credit to replace these items. The down fill used for these items were obviously of poor quality.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Ordered furniture on 26 May 2018. Since most was on backordered, rep said pieces would be delivered as they came in. Site said most pieces would be scheduled for delivery between 25-27 Jun 2018. Contacted them today (27 Jun 2018) because I hadn't heard anything to schedule delivery. Rep says it's been scheduled for 11 Jul 2018. I asked why was it going to take another 3 weeks if the furniture is 25 miles away. Was told that they won't deliver the 5 pieces that they have until the last piece is ready. Mind you they scheduled for the 11th and the bed won't be ready until the 16th. Meanwhile all my stuff is in the living room in boxes, but they could care less. Salespeople don't know their own policy and it makes sense now why none of their products have reviews.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pottery Barn?

Original review: June 27, 2018

I ordered an item with a coupon and received email that item was out of stock and would not be in stock for the foreseeable future. Reordered the same item the same day with no coupon and wow it was in stock and shipped. I called Pottery Barn and they told me it happens and they would not honor the coupon for the second order because the coupon expired. More coupons were available but they would not apply.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I am submitting this in a last ditch effort to TRY to get someone from Pottery Barn to step up and manage my order. I ordered a couch in April with a May 27 delivery date. When May 27 came and went, I followed up with the store I purchased it at and was told that the delivery date had changed and that Pottery Barn was sorry and I would be compensated. When I inquired what that meant, I was told 'they don't tell us, be rest assured, you will be contacted and compensated.' Honestly, I just wanted my couch. Never happened. I have made at least a dozen calls and encountered the most indifferent customer service people I have ever had the displeasure of speaking to (not 'with' because that would involve engagement on their part). Every person tells me a different story.

Meanwhile, my couch was shipped on June 9th and appears on my billing statement, but no couch. I have been told it's ready for delivery and unfortunately the truck is full and they could bring it last Sunday and they would call to schedule, and when I hear crickets, I called back and no one knows what I am talking about. Meanwhile, I look over at my neighbors driveway on Sunday and they received a Pottery Barn delivery! I bought this couch, planning well in advance for company that has now come and gone. I am beyond frustrated and cannot believe the lack of avenues for resolution. As consumers, we are at their mercy. Once I receive this couch, I am cutting up my Pottery Barn Card and WS Card. I am disappointed beyond belief. Ridiculous.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I placed an order for 3 sets of dishes, dinner plates, salad plates and bowls-service for 12. They were for a bridal registry. 2 1/2 months later and still have not received the bowls even though they were shown as "in stock" when I ordered them. I also haven't received any updates. When I called customer service, I was told I could call a store in North Carolina myself for 6 bowls. I asked the rep if she could arrange to have it shipped and was informed she was not allowed to do that! What? Not allowed to fulfill an order? I then asked her to send me an email just stating it was still on backorder and when it could be expected. I wanted to send this to the bride waiting for the items. She could not send me an updated email either!! What exactly CAN CUSTOMER SERVICE DO? I got no result whatsoever. Terrible experience and will never order again.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I had previously (about 5 years ago) purchased a couch from Pottery Barn and had a great experience, so when it was time for a second couch for our office, I was excited to shop with Pottery Barn again. That excitement quickly faded to annoyance and then straight up rage. We ordered a couch (SoMa Brady Slope Arm Slipcovered Sleeper Sofa) on April 6th after speaking to a rep on the phone. We were assured our couch would quick ship since they had it in stock, which meant early May...which doesn't sound so quick to me, but whatever. May rolls around, nothing. Mid-May we finally get a notification that it is "eligible to ship", whatever that means. Still, nothing. Then suddenly the tracking info goes dark.

My husband calls and they ASSURE him that we will have the couch by the end of the month. As you can see from the date of my review, it's now June 26th and in that time, the delivery date has been changed no less than 4 times and it now says that it will be shipping mid-July. This is unacceptable. We have had to postpone plans, the guests we were expecting (and the reason we purchased a sleeper sofa) have come and gone and have had to sleep on our floor, and our time has been wasted. Never again. Today we cancelled our order, which I highly doubt ever shipped in the first place, and I can honestly say that I will never shop there again.

Original review: June 25, 2018

My mother-in-law ordered a crib from our baby registry but, being elderly, was unable to figure out how to enter in the promotion code when she placed the order. After she placed the order online, we called customer service and were on the phone for over an hour explaining that we had just placed the order and that she was elderly and had a hard time placing the order online with the code (which would have taken 25% off of the $400 crib).

The first customer service rep said that she could not see the promotion (it's on the HOMEPAGE). I pulled up the code on my computer and it worked immediately but she claimed that the code was not working. Then, she said that the code works but not on the item we selected. Again, I explained that I had the item in my online shopping cart on my computer and the code works just fine (taking $99 off the order). She said that she didn't have the authority to add any codes to the order (so let me talk to someone who does have the authority?) and that she would have to ask someone else in customer service to do this.

She placed me on hold 6 times for a total of 10 minutes each time. She kept returning and saying that she was unable to get a hold of another customer service manager. I asked to speak to anyone else - a manager, supervisor, and she said no one was available due to high call volume. I agreed to continue to hold. After one hour and 10 minutes, she transferred me to a "manager" who said that they were unable to do anything because we already placed the order. I, again, explained that my mother-in-law is elderly and did not know how to enter in the code. He said that it's too late.

I gave up and asked him to cancel the order and I would just place it online on my computer with the code. He said that was fine but that we would be charged $200 for shipping because the order has already "shipped". I said that I did not get a notification about it shipping and he said I wouldn't hear about it for several days because shipping takes a while. How convenient!

This is one of the worst customer service experiences I've ever had. They purposefully put me on hold for an hour in hopes that I would hang up. They said I can't cancel the order because they would charge me $200 for shipping if I canceled. I'm very disappointed in this company and would not recommend anyone use them for baby registry items or regular items. We purchased a sofa from them last year and typically buy about $10,000/year from them in home goods and were planning on continuing to buy for our growing family but they clearly do not care about their customers. Message received!

Original review: June 25, 2018

August 1, 2017 - I order a custom sectional couch and am told 10-12 weeks and they will call for delivery. 12 weeks go by and I have not heard from Pottery Barn. November 21, 2017 - attempt multiple times to contact PB customer service, hold for almost 2 hours, rep comes on and then hangs up, after that I cannot get through to a person so I give up. November 26, 2017 - go in person to a PB store and explain that I am waiting for my sectional, she looks into it and promises follow up. December 2017 - sectional is delivered but half is the wrong color, WAY off - vanilla instead of grey. The delivery people leave the correct half and take the other half back and tell me I need to call customer service about the replacement in the right color. Customer service is always AT LEAST a 20 minute wait to get a human being.

January 5, 2018 - write an email to customer service trying to find out where the replacement half of the sectional is. Email is ignored. February 2018 - get through to a service rep who tells me 8-10 weeks for the replacement and it will come in April. April 30, 2018 and I have not heard a word from PB, call customer service, they tell me... 8-10 weeks. at that point I am over it and I tell them to please cancel the order, take back the half that I have, and issue me a refund. Customer service says fine, they schedule a pickup and tell me that 10 days after pickup I will get the credit. May 15, 2018 - they come take away the half sectional.

June 18, 2018 - No credit is ever issued. I call customer service to inquire about the refund, she says I have to go to furniture. On hold for 20 minutes with furniture, they check all the notes and tell me the refund will be processed in 3-5 days. June 25, 2018 - I call to check on the refund, am on hold for 15 minutes until a rep comes on, she tells me she can't access my notes and puts me back on hold for 20 more minutes. Next rep tells me that they can't process the refund because my Credit Card "token" has expired and give me another number to call to get the credit card reauthorized. I call this next number, and they tell me that credit card tokens are not a thing and that they can only issue a refund to the original card. I tell them that is completely fine, and they have put me on hold for another 36 minutes and counting...

The level of incompetence, lack of communication, lack of ownership of a problem, lousy (or understaffed? customer "service") is staggering. Their reps make stuff up to get you off the phone, or they just hang up. It's impossible to get through to anyone and then they all tell different stories. And nobody follows-up proactively, it's up to the customer to chase down information. You just cannot make this stuff up. I have spent HOURS trying to just close out this nightmare. I am SO SICK of their hold music and I can assure you I will NEVER buy anything from Pottery Barn again.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Pottery Barn actually has its customers working for them now. I ordered furniture in April. It is end of July. I realize the order was back ordered, however I have been calling to get updates on my order for the last 3 weeks. It was delayed because they were waiting for piece. I called multiple times after being hung up on when transferred and sitting on hold for 30-40 min only to repeat the same phone call a day later because they can't transfer correctly. I called to schedule my delivery. Was told I would get a phone call with the window for delivery and a text 30 min before the delivery.

On the day of delivery, I called at 6am to be told that it was never scheduled. I have been waiting and rearranging my calendar to get my furniture only to be shocked and disappointed at every turn. I have called over and over, this is not the way I should spend my time. Pottery Barn, Horchow, all affiliated companies are incapable of performing their business!!! They are completely incompetent and nobody should count on them to perform as a trusted business. It is such a shame!!!

Original review: June 21, 2018

I returned the top of a table (Abbott Round Dining Table Top 2016: Concrete. PB08144607339200) that was delivered to me on 6/14/2018 because of a few scratches. I was told to keep the bottom. Well now I am in limbo because Pottery Barn is not reaching out to me regarding the redelivery of the Table Top. I have emailed, called and was transferred all around. The last phone call transfer, I was on hold for 20 minutes before I hung up. I have been a loyal customer since 1999. My house looks like one of their stores! I have spent thousands of dollars with them. But these last couple of years... Customer service has been going down the hill. Many items that I have ordered in the past were on back order forever without any type of communication with me. Think twice before placing an order with Pottery Barn!!!

Original review: June 21, 2018

1. The Customer Service call line is the WORST I have ever experienced. Suggest every member of management call their own customer service call center and get cut off as I have, repeatedly; 2. Shipment screwed up in either China or Memphis; 3. Promised replacement by certain date, didn’t arrive; 4. Called again, gave me a much later date, despite original promise; 5. No accommodation to ‘order’ for quicker shipment; 6. Worst of all: NO APOLOGY from Pottery Barn. I just checked other Consumer Affairs reviews. Terrible. Mine is in good company! This company is going downhill rapidly; the Pan Am of home supply centers. Wish I had read the reviews first!

Original review: June 21, 2018

We moved recently and my family had no bath towels. I ordered nearly $400 in towels and bath mats, which were supposed to arrive in 3 days. The towels came in 5 and the bath mats won’t come until next week. When the quick dry towels arrived yesterday the box delivered looked like it has been thrown from a 20 story building and the top was open. But the towels were sealed in plastic so I washed them in cold water. No bleach ever used in this machine and every single towel and wash cloth came out with irregular coloring spots where the color literally washed out.

I emailed customer service and never received any reply. So I called and spoke with someone named Kaya. To say this person could care less would be an understatement. Clearly there’s an issue with the towels but she insisted there wasn’t and could provide no guidance or explanation. She offered to replace the towels but refused to even address the issue of the MIA bath mats. I said if she wouldn’t help me then I would cancel the whole order. She said okay. I asked to speak with a manager, was put on hold for ten minutes. She came back and said someone would contact me in 24 hours. I’m returning everything. I called Nordstrom. They were SO nice, and shipped $400 of towels overnight for $15. I will cut up my Pottery Barn card today.

Original review: June 21, 2018

Bought a custom Jake leather sofa. Totally understood it would take a couple months to be delivered, but I thought it would be worth the wait to get the exact color I wanted. A couple months pass. Sofa is manufactured & my delivery is scheduled for 15 Jun. The delivery people were unable to install the legs on the sofa, much to my dismay. They called back to Pottery Barn and we’re advised that they would need to return sofa to their main center so “a technician could repair it.” I was told I could expect to have redelivery scheduled in 3-5 days. They lied. Not ONCE has anyone from Pottery Barn reached out to me about this. I have called several times (every few days) and continue to get the runaround. I still have no idea where the sofa that I have paid for is or what the damage is. I have no idea if or when it will ever be delivered.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I had to step away from my computer when trying to submit a purchase online and redeeming a rewards certificate for $175. When I returned to complete the order and submit my credit card information the system had time out. I inputted rewards number again and clicked apply only to find that the website saw this certificate number as “used” because I had previously entered it before stepping away. However, my credit card had never been charged. I contacted Pottery Barn customer service and was told to enter the order as normal and my information was recorded in the notes of the order. Three customer service representatives later and this still has not been resolved.

I am currently waiting on a “supervisor” to call back. I have waited on hold for over 45 minutes concerning this same situation altogether. At this point, I am considering demanding a refund including shipping because this purchase was made solely based on the fact that I had rewards to use. I have wasted more time trying to get any kind of assistance in resolving the matter. When you spend nearly $2,000 and then have to work this hard to get a rewards certificate redeemed it is not worth it! It would seem like a company like Pottery Barn could offer better customer service. Very disappointed and unhappy!

Original review: June 18, 2018

Have been ordering Pottery Barn for couple years and have spent approximately $20k. Would not recommend ordering Pottery Barn if you have a local furniture store. The problem with Pottery Barn is they cannot answer anything about their furniture if you call them, they are simply reading the same description online as anyone else (no hands on experience). Second, when you check out items will show as available and on almost every item they will email a new expected delivery date because the item is on backorder. Also, items that are nonrefundable you are often waiting as much as 2 months!

It seems as though Pottery Barn is nothing more than a call center and simply places an order with another vendor once you make an online order. And nothing is more frustrating than receiving 5 partial deliveries over 2 months on something 'ready to ship'. Do your research, find the suppliers and order direct. And finally, any rewards earned quickly expire and are lost forever! Currently waiting for delivery of my last and final order from Pottery Barn due to the inability to supply what has been paid for in a timely manner. Don't market and sell items that are knowingly unavailable!!!

Hi Kate,

Thank you for contacting Pottery Barn. I know you're disheartened and I apologize for the shipping/delivery delays. I would like take a closer look into what has/is happening with your order and follow up with you. Please provide your order number.

I have listed my information below should you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me directly and I will be delighted to assist.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I am beyond frustrated with one of my favorite stores I cannot believe what I have gone through. I am on my THIRD sectional in two years from Pottery Barn... My first one had to be returned because of the fabric shredding and separating, the second because Pottery Barn sent me the wrong Couch, now the third has broken at the connection part of the wedge and torn the fabric. I have been waiting since the middle of May and heard nothing of them pic sent and still nothing. I do not want this furniture. I want my money back and call it OVER. I am so disappointed.

Hi Holly,

Thank you for contacting Pottery Barn. I'm so sorry to hear about the experience you are having with lack of follow through. I understand you are frustrated and I apologize. I would be delighted to look into this and follow up with you. Please provide your order number for further review. I have listed my information below should you have any concerns, please contact my directly and I will be untroubled to assist.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I ordered a bed on 4/28 from a local store in Fort Lauderdale. I waited 6 weeks for my bed and when the bed came 3 out of the 4 parts were WRONG. My bed got delivered on 6/15/18. They literally delivered me a two-tone bed. Then after following up I was told that my replacement parts would take ANOTHER 6 WEEKS. I mean this has got to be a joke. Pottery Barn/William Sonoma you should be ashamed of yourself that this is the lousy customer service you offer for the kind of money they charge for the products. I will NEVER purchase anything from this store again NOR recommend them to anyone. They need to reconsider their vendor.

Hi Rachel,

Thank you for contacting Williams Sonoma Inc. I'm sorry to hear about the experience you are having with your order. I apologize for the inconvenience. I would be delighted to assist. I have listed my information below, please provide your order number for further review.

Should you have any questions and or concerns, please contact me directly and I will be untroubled to assist.

Sincerely,

Latricia J|williams Sonoma Inc.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I placed an order for the Pearce 3 piece sectional at the local store on June 11th. I was told by the salesperson that since the fabric I chose was a part of the "quick ship" then I would receive my item in about a week... And she even heard that it takes less time than that. LIES! On June 15th, I called to check the status of my order, it didn't tell me the update but it directed me to customer service. After being on hold for about 30 minutes, Deborah answered. She told me that my item was already at the delivery hub in Memphis, TN and it's scheduled to be delivered on June 28th. Great, I was initially worried after reading reviews on delivery... I thought that maybe I was one of the lucky ones.

I asked if it could be delivered sooner because my family and I will be out of town that week. She said I should call the delivery hub myself and ask for a sooner delivery date. She said they make out their delivery list on Sundays and for me to call first thing that morning. I called Sunday morning... They were closed. No big deal, it was Father's Day after all. I called the delivery hub this morning, the guy said that my item was not in their warehouse... He didn't know where it was. I called PB customer service, she wasn't sure why Deborah told me that my item was ready for delivery because it was still in transit from Georgia to Tennessee (I'm in Alabama, by the way). I asked when will it be delivered to the hub... She said June 29th. 3 weeks after I ordered my sectional (keep in mind this was not a custom order... oh, and it will be delivered to the hub, not me... that'll take an additional 2 weeks).

I asked was it normal for an item to travel for over 2 weeks and she said yes. Ridiculous. The bottom line is I won't receive my sectional until a month after delivery. This will be the last time I'll shop at PB. I ignored the fact that PB have HORRIBLE reviews on their quality, customer and delivery service... and went against my better judgement and got a PB credit card to order my item and additional ones to furnish my home. Seriously considering paying it off right now and closing it. I have family coming to my home and no furniture in my living room. PB needs to stop advertising the "quick ship" products if it takes just as long as an custom order.

Hi Courtney,

Thank you for contacting Pottery Barn, I'm sorry to hear about your experience with shipping delays. I understand you're disappointed and I apologize. I would like to assist by following your order and keeping you up to date. Please send my your order details for further review.

I have listed my information below should you have any questions, please contact me directly and I will be delighted to assist.

Sincerely,

Original review: June 18, 2018

I am beyond upset with PB Teen. I placed an order with PB Teen on March 11, 2018 for the Burnett Super Sectional and an extra Corner. After two weeks I called to inquire about my order to check to see if they could give me a better range on the delivery date, after realizing my order online did not have any date listed as it should. I was told to wait, so I did. My order online continued to not have anything listed for an estimated delivery date, so I called again end of March and was told it would be delivered in a week.

Two weeks past and I called again. This time no one knew why someone would tell me that date and that there was something wrong it the PB Teen System and my order was never placed. So they requested from the vendor to provide an update and they would call me back. I went around and around getting the same feedback for 2 months, never heard anything. I even called every few days to check for updates. I at this time have probably spent over 8 hours on hold and on the phone with PB Teen on 15 different occasions. I was told my order was never placed, the new system dropped the order, there were fabric issues, etc. No resolutions though.

Finally I spoke to Justin **, a Furniture specialist. He assured me that he would monitor and track the whole issue and that it seemed that my couch would be ready by June 23rd. I emailed him twice again to check on status with no reply, so I called again today (June 17, 2018) to check on status. My call was answered by another Furniture Specialist, who told me that my couch was never built. To find this news out at 15 weeks is beyond irritating and disappointing. I was advised to cancel my order since it was so messed up, which I did. Then I could place a new one and get my couch sometime in October.

I ordered this couch with plenty of lead time for a big family gathering at my house on the 4th of July. Knowing that PB Teen strung me along without letting me know of the order issue and telling me it was coming is beyond words, it's already been 15 weeks waiting and the lead time listed was 8-10 weeks. I could have gone to another company and ordered something, now it’s too late to get anything in time for my family event.

The lack of respect this company has for people is awful. I will do my best to ensure that the lack of respect for customer service is communicated publicly so others do not end up in a situation like I am. The sad thing is that after a quick search on PB Teen complaints, I realized this is a common issue and that I was not alone. This is unacceptable and I assure you that I will do all in my power to keep more from ending up in my situation. Come on PB Teen, you can do better!

Pottery Barn response
        Hello Kara- This is truly disappointing to read. I am very disheartened that we were unable to advise you of proper information so late in the order. I would be really appreciative if you would allow me to look at your order and see exactly what went on and if there is anything can do. I will be sending you a private message with all my contact information. Thank you for your time.

~Chelsea T.

Original review: June 17, 2018

I am beyond upset with the crappy customer service I've received from Pottery Barn. I ordered an outdoor umbrella and rolling stand in early May so that we would be ready for a Memorial Day BBQ. The umbrella was received fine however, the base is another story. I was contacted by their delivery service to schedule delivery 3 times and the product was never received. I then had my husband call to which the delivery service said there was no record of previous delivery attempts. (Shocking). Once the merchandise was en route (the day of delivery) I was contacted to say that we needed to be present to accept delivery??? If that is the case, why was I only notified the day of!!!

I was not close to home and asked that they leave the product and they didn't. Aren't all Calls recorded these days??? I then called customer service and explained how the purpose of the order was for a Mem Day BBQ and now I wasn't going to have the product in time as there was no other delivery slots before the holiday. They were useless and unapologetic. They also said there was no record of my previous delivery requests only that I wasn't there to accept delivery (how convenient for Pottery Barn). Here in lies the problem... No record of my first 4 calls and attempts of delivery which never happened but now a note that I wasn't home for delivery... Really? Convenient how record keeping works at this company.

Finally, after missing my window for the holiday the wheeled umbrella base was received. However, it seemed as though an "anchor piece" was missing and therefore the umbrella tips over when placed in the base. I have since placed 4 phone calls to customer service who then send me to furniture delivery regarding this issue. And furniture delivery sends me back to customer service... Now, conveniently, I have been told the item is permanently out of stock... I bought this item one month prior and now it is out of stock permanently??? Of course with no previous disclosure!!!

I am beyond frustrated and now just placed an order for the freestanding base so that I can actually use my umbrella this summer. I still have no way to return the original base as the box was disposed of. Pottery barn will not credit my order until the merchandise is received back in their warehouse. However, they better credit me for 100% of shipping charges this fiasco entailed. Additionally, I better not be charged for return shipping as well now that I have to go and buy a box and ship this extremely heavy piece back to the company on my own free time and money... DISASTROUS... PB should accept returns in stores and credit for shipping when they send faulty merchandise. TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE. SHAME ON YOU POTTERY BARN.

Pottery Barn response

Hi Gina: I'm so sorry to hear about the experience you had with the umbrella base and thank you for bringing it to my attention. A private message has been sent to you with more information and I look forward to hearing back from you soon. - Katie

Original review: June 16, 2018

I highly recommend you not order anything that requires shipping or 'White Glove' delivery. We placed one order for a table, 2 arm chairs, 2 side chairs and a bench. This was split into multiple shipments, some through UPS, but the table seems to be lost. Multiple calls to the customer service departments (one for furniture, one for the bench and armchairs, which apparently are not classified as furniture if they ship UPS) have totaled to 5+ hours of wait time, and conflicting information. Have requested and promised a callback from Leads and supervisors, which has not happened yet. Also no response to email requests for info. We have a bench and chairs, but no table. PB has some serious problems with their shipping logistics and customer service.

Pottery Barn response

Hi Stephen: Thank you for taking the time to send your review and I'm sorry you have not received an answer about the table. A private message has been sent to you with more information and I look forward to hearing back from you soon. - Katie

Original review: June 15, 2018

I ordered multiple pieces of furniture from Pottery Barn during their Memorial Day sale. Scheduling delivery has been incredibly frustrating. I have scheduled delivery 4 times now. The first delivery was set on the 3rd for 6/9 for delivery between 7a-noon. No call, no delivery. On 6/10 I spent about 40 minutes on hold & finally spoke with someone who rescheduled/expedited delivery for the 12th/13th and was told I'd get a confirmation call 10 hrs prior to delivery. (But said I was already on the schedule for 6/16 between 11-12). No call/no delivery on 12/13th. I called again on the 12th, 40 minute hold time and was told my delivery was actually scheduled for 6/16 between 11-12 and I’d be getting a confirmation phone call (apparently there was no record of my previous calls).

Today I received an email saying it was time to schedule my delivery. I called the number and the woman informed me that my delivery date was scheduled for the 22nd. & that I was talking to the wrong department every time I called! I have spent hours on hold, spoken with at least 6 Pottery Barn associates, have scheduled and confirmed appointments, have had friends meet me at the house to help with moving furniture for deliveries that never transpired. Then to be told just now that the people I spoke with at Pottery Barn customer service were incapable of connecting me with the proper person... I’ve never experienced this level of disorganization and miscommunication with any company. This might be the last time I order from Pottery Barn, the frustration isn’t worth it.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I bought a home in Charlotte NC but was still in Massachusetts. I asked Pottery Barn customer service if I could place an order and have it held until I would be in Charlotte to receive it in a few weeks. They said yes, but neglected to tell me that I would have to place the order by phone to have it held. Not knowing this, I placed a very large order (bedroom sets, etc.) and then emailed PB and asked them to hold the order. But it was too late, and the order went out automatically. I saw that this had happened, and I call PB customer service many times and called UPS many times, but no one seemed to be able to stop the items from being delivered to Charlotte, and I could not have the order re-directed to Massachusetts. Customer service was no help at all, but I kept calling and finally got someone whom I thought would help me (Rachelle **). She tried but gave up, telling me she was too busy to handle the problem.

So all the items were delivered to Charlotte without me there, and because I did not receive them, UPS sent them all back to PB. But Pottery Barn has not given me credit for the items on my PB credit card, so I still owe over $11,000 for items I never received, and I still can't get anyone to do anything about it. All of this has been going on for weeks, and I am just sick over it. I feel completely helpless, because I can't get anyone at PB to take responsibility. And I'm very sad, because I wanted the items so much for my new home. The only thing I can do is give PB bad reviews and try to work it out with the credit card company.

Updated on 07/21/2018: I have already left a review describing my hellish experience with Pottery Barn customer service (which was eventually resolved after 2 months but not without taking years off of my life). I also wanted to mention that Pottery Barn charges you interest on your credit card even if you pay the balance on time. They have some complicated formula for this, which I don't understand, even though I am a mathematician!

Original review: June 15, 2018

Placed order for a sofa in March - supposed to be 6 weeks. Now quoting 16 weeks - no emails - no information but I cannot cancel it. They cannot assure me it will be ready in July. They cannot contact their vendors other than sending a request via email. I see the order online and have a new date every time it is supposed to be ready.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Tallulah sofa - I ordered a custom sofa on February 1, 2018 online. My order confirmation informed me that I should receive a call to set up delivery between April 30 and May 14. I called customer service on May 14 when I didn't hear anything. In the past month, I have called several times and sent emails several times. All I am told is that they will contact the vendor (by email, no less) to find out the status of my sofa. No one has followed up. I still don't know where my sofa is, or when I can expect it. I would have never expected this from Pottery Barn -- I will not order anything more from them based on this experience. I am beyond disappointed.

Updated on 08/24/2018: When my original ConsumerAffairs complaint about Pottery Barn (June 15) was responded to by a representative who sent me a private email, gave me a new shipping window, and a discount -- I was hopeful that they would restore my faith in this company. I was wrong! The new shipping window came and went, the new representative I was pawned off on was "So, so sorry" but has no update for me. He has "reached out" to the vendor. It is now almost 6 months since I ordered this sofa. Yet, this sofa (Tallulah) is still in their recent catalogues and email advertisements! How can they still offer an item that they clearly cannot deliver?

Pottery Barn response

Hi Catherine- Thank you for your post. I apologize profusely that you have not received an update on your Tallulah Sofa and I have sent you a Private Message offering to assist you. I look forward to hearing from you. ~Susan

Original review: June 14, 2018

I purchased a four piece sectional with chocolate velvet slipcovers from Pottery Barn in 2003. It was manufactured by Mitchell Gold. It is in excellent condition - minimally used. My family room flooded and I need to replace the slipcovers BUT I cannot determine what style the sectional is... I think it is the PB Basics line but need that verified. I called customer service - I was told they cannot help me. I have reached out to a local store for assistance.

I provided photos of the furniture and photos of several tags on the pieces and cushions. And I get back "those aren't our style numbers or item numbers" - the tags actually say "manufactured for Pottery Barn". Now I have been told no one in the store can identify the style - that it doesn't align to any of the current styles and they do not think I will be able to replace the slipcovers. I asked if they could look up the purchase from my old Pottery Barn credit card - I was told no - that can't be done. I asked if there are resources at corporate that could assist - I was told no - nobody to assist at corporate.

How is it no one knows the sectional lines that the company has sold over the years? In 2003 I know there were not many styles of sectionals... How is it no one knows if the new manufacturer for Pottery Barn kept the same dimensions of the Mitchell Gold furniture? Why buy a slipcovered sectional if you cannot replace the slipcovers? Extremely frustrating. The furniture is in EXCELLENT condition - just need new slipcovers.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I bought the Abbott Chunky Leg table with 2 benches last spring. Soon after its delivery, we found a crack running across the tabletop. After many, many phone calls, a replacement top (concrete only) was sent and assembled. Upon delivery I noticed a few small cracks along the side edges and reported it to customer service. She said that the tables were currently out of stock for the season (now November) and that she would give me a credit in order to hold on to the defective one till next season. She said to call back in the spring to report any further issues and to see if more were in stock.

When uncovering the set for the spring, we found a huge crack across the middle of the table. I spent over an hour on the phone with a lady that said that she couldn't do anything because I had received that credit last season. Again, that credit was not given so that I would keep the table forever. It was more like the lady saying, "Sorry your table is messed up AGAIN." By the end of the phone call, she agreed that she would get a new order moving along and call me back with more details by the end of the day.

Needless to say, I never heard back. So I called back again and spoke to another, kinder, woman. She processed the order right away and that a whole new set would be on its way once they came back in stock at the end of June. Now, early June, I received a letter saying that the order is not coming because the order is no longer in stock and they have no idea if it will ever be. I just went on their website and saw that it and other versions of this table are clearly available and for sale. To boot, the table now has 3 cracks running the full length of the table! Clearly this table is hollow and poorly made. What if this thing collapses on my kids? It's 425 lbs. Now I have to spend another few hours on the phone trying to get a replacement table that won't fall apart. You'd think that when you spend over $3000 on a table set it would last more than a month.

Pottery Barn response

Hi Mary- Thank you for your post. I apologize for the issues you are having with the Abbot Table and I would like to chat with you about it. I have sent you a private message with my contact details and I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you-Susan

Pottery Barn Company Information