2. Homeowners

Mattress Warehouse

Mattress Warehouse
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.36/5

Need a good mattress?

Mattress Warehouse was first opened in 1989 in Maryland. Our first full-time salesman for Mattress Warehouse is still with the company and has since been promoted to district manager! The first Mattress Warehouse store was a mere 1200 square foot area, and the first warehouse was simply a self-storage locker located in Frederick, MD. We have now grown to over 150 locations, and are well on our way to becoming the largest sleep chain in the industry. We are even able to offer customers the convenience of buying a mattress set, sleep accessories, and furniture-related items through our online store. For over 20 years, Mattress Warehouse has made our customers-our number one priority. Call us at 1-800-Bed-Sale or visit us online at www.SleepHappens.com.

Mattress Warehouse Reviews

Original review: Oct. 27, 2011

We decided to buy a new mattress and went out to a local Mattress Warehouse, right on Route 30, and chose on the lay away option. We did make a few payments, however, in the meantime, we decided that it would be better to wait.

I called the local store several times, contacted the corporation via email, which prompted a call from the local store manager and was promised a refund to my card. It has been 2 weeks now, and there's still no refund. I called the store again and was advised that refunds, especially in the fall season, could take up to four weeks, since the corporation has to approve them. Even though I tried calling the corporation, the only option was to leave a voicemail and someone would call back.

Mattress Warehouse is a joke, and I would never recommend anyone to buy a mattress from them. They definitely left a sour taste in my mouth. They are a bad company to do business with.

Mattress Warehouse response

Our records show that the customer was issued a refund to their credit card in October 2011.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2011

I put a $50 deposit down on a mattress set at the Mattress Warehouse in Carlisle, PA on Sept. 12th. By the 15th, I decided not to purchase the mattress set, so I went in for a refund of the deposit. The gentleman there told me it would take 7-10 days. 7-10 days later, no refund. I have been there three times and called twice. Each time, I was told "7-10 days" or "I have to check with the main office". No one ever contacts me back to tell me what the status of my refund is. It is now Oct. 23. I feel robbed.

Mattress Warehouse response

A refund was processed on October 21, 2011 to the cusotmer.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2011

When I went to the store, at the end of September 2011, I purchased a California King bed/boxspring/frame and a queen bed/boxspring/frame. About 2 weeks later, they delivered everything. I had to refuse the queen bed because it did not fit where it was supposed to. When the delivery guys left, I took a second look at how they set up my California king bed. The frame they put was bent and 71 inches long. And it was a used display frame, while the bed is 83 inches long. When I was purchasing the frame, their district manager, Mike, told me that the frame would fit the mattress. It did not. They refused to refund it and are trying to replace it with another used display frame which is also not the correct size.

It is almost a month later, and I have yet to get my refund or a correct bed frame replacement. They were very nice when I was purchasing my bed. But when it came to the return, they were too busy and rarely returned phone calls. After numerous attempts, I have yet to get a hold of the district manager or anyone who can help. The salespeople with whom I spoke on the phone and at the store during my purchase were Willie "WC" and Steve. I would give zero stars if I could. Do not give them any money until you have what you ordered. And make sure they give you dimensions of everything before you pay in writing. Their phone number is (804) 672-3090 and are located at 7482 W Broad St., Richmond, VA 23294. Today is 10-21-11 and still, they did nothing.

Mattress Warehouse response

We received and provided information to the customer through another claim filed. The customer had the option to exchange their frame for another frame or receive a refund. Our records indicate that the customer returned the frame for a refund.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2011

I purchased a mattress in Rossdale Plaza with cash. The return policy was not posted anywhere in the store, and until you receive the receipt, you know nothing about it. A few hours after the purchase, I felt uneasy about it, because they did not have a model of the mattress I purchase on location. We were to take delivery from the Mechanicsburg location, and I did not even know if I would like what I bought, when I noticed the return policy on the back of the receipt and felt scammed.

I tried to make it back to the store the same day, but they were closing. I called the next day, and they told me they deposited the money already and they don't keep money onsite. This is a huge lie--when I paid cash, he opened his desk drawer that is full of cash to put it in. And do you mean to tell me they don't do any new transactions on the next business day to accumulate cash?

I spoke to the manager at the Mechanicsburg location, and I was given the number 301-682-8504 to get my refund expedited. All this occurred on Oct. 2, 2011, and it is now Oct. 19. I called twice a week, and I was told the paperwork wasn't submitted; and then it was, and then it wasn't. Then I was transferred to a regional manager named Bill who never returned a phone call.

Now, I'm being told the paperwork was received, but the check wasn't cut, and they have no way of finding out when it will be. This is crazy. I have an 18-month-old baby, and I'm pregnant. I need a new bed, but I refuse to do business with these shady people. I just want my money back, so I can go buy a bed!

How is this allowed? The policy on the receipt says 3 weeks for refunds (It is ridiculous already; if I pay cash in the store, I expect to receive my cash back). I never took delivery of the merchandise, and I cancelled it the next day. And they are past their 3 weeks, and I still haven't received my money. Also, I'm getting the runaround.

Someone please shut this business down. They are predatory. They are keeping the money to collect interest and make something off your money, even though you didn't receive a product. Isn't that illegal?

Original review: Oct. 10, 2011

I have purchased a mattress in the past from Mattress Warehouse, and the original product delivered was firm when I ordered a plush. I got that resolved and received what I ordered. Then about a year later, we decided to buy some twin mattresses for our vacation home as they were cheaper in our home state than in the state where our vacation home is. But my husband had bought 2 mattresses at a different store. So I called the next morning (less than 24 hours later) to cancel the order. That was 9/24/2011, and I was told they have to send request to corporate to make sure it isn't fraud (crock of crap). I never took the mattresses and they were able to sell them to another customer, so I'm not sure what would be fraudulent about that, except on their end for keeping my money and selling the mattresses again.

I called again on 10/3/2011 to check on my refund as it had been over a week, and it still wasn't showing up. Then I called again on 10/10/2011, and this time, I was told that it can take up to a month to refund my money for a product that never left their store and was cancelled within 24 hours of purchase. I was under the assumption that you have 48 hours to change your mind, and the charge never posted to my account until 9/26 which was 2 days after I cancelled it.

Today, I disputed it with my credit card company, because apparently, MW can't give a refund without the CEO approval even if the customer never received the product. I guess I won't be shopping there ever again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mattress Warehouse and Sleep Outfitters?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2011

My mother purchased a king-sized mattress set in April 2010 as a birthday gift to me. The mattress was delivered and everything seemed to be great. Here it is, October 2011, a little more than a year has gone by and there are so many springs sticking up and it's very uncomfortable. I thought a mattress should last at least 7 to 10 years. I will have to purchase a new mattress as soon as possible. I called the store in Towson where my mom purchased the mattress and they said that she did not purchase a warranty. From my basic knowledge, a mattress is already under a warranty. That's what the non-removable tag is for. I am having a hard time getting the corporate's address. I will not stop until someone addresses my problem.

Mattress Warehouse response

Following up to your claim, if the matter remains pending please provide additional informaiton so that we have further review your claim.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2011

I went to Mattress Warehouse and bought a queen sized mattress, sealy beautyrest with memory foam.

I have back problems that include a great deal of pain and the mattress was more expensive than I anticipated but the salesman was sure that the memory foam would help. The product was delivered but had such a sag that I couldn't believe it. It was visible right away. The delivery men said that they couldn't take it back. I tried it and it felt like I was sleeping on the side of a hill.

I called the store, Mattress Warehouse on Rockville Pike, MD and spoke with the salesman who arranged for a pickup and sent a new mattress. The mattress they sent had the same tags as my mattress but it was not memory foam which I had paid a high price for. I called again and the same salesman said that it's a beautiful mattress and that they can't pick it up for a few days and so sleep on it to be sure that I don't like it.

Well, I'm sure somebody would think it was a beautiful mattress but it was not the mattress I chose and paid for and I didn't like it. I called back and spoke with the salesman again who said that I slept on it already so they can't take it back now and they didn't. I tried several times to speak with the manager and called the corporate offices but nothing happened.

My advice is to stay as far away from the Rockville, MD store as possible. They are not worthy of your money.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2011

Simmons mattress was purchased on 2-19-2011. After 6 months of use, my side (I'm 135lbs) is sagging 1 and 1/4 inches. After contacting Mattress Warehouse, they promptly sent out someone to measure the mattress for sagging. The report was sent to our house and Simmons says it has to sag 1 and 1/2 inches to be replaced.

So we are off by 1/4 of an inch! Mattress Warehouse said they will do nothing. I have left 5 messages for district managers to call back. I have received no call backs.

I finally sent an email to warranty claims. Their response was that they could do nothing. I can have it re-measured in 6 months at my expense was the best they could do! I informed them that I will enter this message on every social networking site I have and contact my local news station that investigates issues like these. I will not let this go.

Did I mention that the mattress was $2300 before tax?

Mattress Warehouse response

Customer was approved to have her mattress exchanged. The customer accepted the delivery exchange on October 14, 2011.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2011

On 8-13-2011, I purchased two twin beds from Mattress Warehouse, confirming delivery on 8-19-2011. On 8-19-2011, I received a call from their warehouse to say that they could not deliver the beds on that day and "sometime next week". I canceled the order on 8-20-2011. On 8-27-2011, I had to go to the store again for them to process the refund. I have not yet received the credit on my American Express card. I would like reimbursement of my money, as well as compensation for the number of times I had to keep going to the store to ask for my refund. That also includes the stress and tension of waiting for the refund/credit.

Mattress Warehouse response

We responded to and were able to resolve with the customer through another claim filed by the customer. The customer's refund was processed on October 6, 2011.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2011

I purchased a queen-sized mattress on 04 Aug 09 for $1,400 from Mattress Warehouse located at 1447 University Drive Burlington, North Carolina 27215 (Phone #: 1-336-584-4767). I had been shopping for a mattress for quite some time and one of the reasons why I chose to purchase from Mattress Warehouse is that I was assured of a low price guarantee that was to be in place for one year from the purchase of the mattress. I purchased the "Starvos" queen-sized mattress with box spring as well as two other twin-sized mattresses. The "Starvos" is/was manufactured by Simmons and is in the "world class" description.

In December of 2009, I noticed an advertisement from Rooms To Go, advertising the "Oslo" world class mattress for $999.99. The stats of the mattress were as follows:

980 Visco Elastic Memory Foam
        360 degree Foam Encased Edge Support
        Triton Foundation (L Brace)

13 3/4 gauge coil wire Coil Density Individually Pocketed Coils

On 06 Jan 10, I called Sean at the Mattress Warehouse store where I purchased the mattress to give him this information. He had to call his manager and get the price match verified and submitted for approval. He called me back and stated that they were not the same mattress and the price match could not be honored. The Mattress Warehouse representative stressed that the world class Simmons mattress that I had purchased at Mattress Warehouse had "enhanced conformability."

I called and spoke to K. ** who told me that the aforementioned "enhanced conformabilty" aspect set their mattress apart from the mattress offered at Rooms To Go. I then learned that Mattress Warehouse had an exclusive contract with Simmons and Mattress Warehouse was the only retailer to offer the "enhanced conformabilty" during that time period. When I questioned Mr. ** as to how they could offer a price match guarantee on competitor's pricing on a mattress that had an additional option not made available to anyone else, Mr. **'s response was, "That is the beauty of capitalism."

In addition, I spoke with Melissa in 2010 at Mattress Warehouse corporate office who stated that the mattress I had purchased was a closeout item due to Simmons bringing their new mattresses out earlier than expected. The name was not "Starvos," but it was explained to me that the same mattress will be named different names depending on the store. As a matter of fact, it was told to me by a salesperson in one of the Raleigh stores that this naming of the mattress was a marketing ploy to make it more difficult to get a price match, as the same mattress may have several different names.

I called Mr. ** again, who flatly refused to give me a price match, stating that the mattresses were not the same. I turned this company into both the Better Business Bureau as well as the Consumer Protection Agency; however, Mr. ** has remained steadfast in his version of "the beauty of capitalism." This issue has continued to bother me as I cannot fathom how a company who knows that they are the only one to offer a certain product can advertise in their store that they have a price match guarantee. They had no fear of having to adhere to the price match guarantee policy, as they were the only company to offer the enhanced conformabilty on the Simmons mattress at the time.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2011

I give them zero stars! First, my husband and I went into the Mattress Warehouse near the Galleria Mall. To make a long story short, because I didn't want to allow the salesperson to see the information on the card the prior manager gave us on our previous visit, he told us if we wanted to play those games we could leave now. So silly us, we gave the other Mattress Warehouse on Loucks Road in York, PA another chance.

We spent $2,000 on Serta mattresses. We explained that the mattresses had to be delivered before 1:00 PM weekdays to the salesman in the store. Then the fun began. We were told they would be delivered on a certain day before 1:00 PM. They called at 7:45 AM to tell me they would be here between 3:00 PM and 5:00 PM. I explained that no one would be home and that they couldn't deliver then. They suggested that they lean the mattresses up against our house until we get home!

My husband is suffering from bulging disks and I have a torn rotator cuff and we are not able to carry them up the steps ourselves. Their other suggestion was to have our neighbors let them in! My husband called the area manager and arranged for a Saturday delivery. In the meantime, on that Wednesday when we got home from work, we had a message on our machine from the delivery man that they were in the area at around 3:00 PM and would be at our house to deliver in about ten minutes. We were not home.

So we waited for that Saturday's delivery, as promised by the area manager, thinking he would make sure the mattresses would be delivered when he said and we waited all day long until 5:30 PM. And no one showed up. So we drove down to the store and tried to get our money back. What a hassle! According to the salesman, he had to “jump through all sorts of hoops” and still we don't have confirmation of a refund!

We will never, never, never buy from Mattress Warehouse again. As the old saying goes, "If you satisfy one customer he will tell 10 people, but if you don't he will tell one hundred people."

Mattress Warehouse response

We apologize for any inconvenience to the customer due to their merchandise not being delivered during the time they requested. Our records indicate that the matter has been resolved.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2011

I bought a mattress during their 4th of July sale. The salesman told me that if I buy this particular bed, I would get a free iPad. We completed the transaction and he filled out the paperwork. I took it home and sent it in. We waited 8 weeks and heard nothing. I called the store back. Another salesman told me that the bed I bought was on the list of ones that were not eligible. I complained and was told I will not be getting what was promised to me. I had a choice between 2 beds and bought the more expensive one to get an iPad. This company obviously doesn't care about its customers, just selling expensive beds.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2011

It took 9 weeks to deliver a replacement mattress that was covered under warranty. They requested $65 delivery fee refund. I was told that I would get it once the mattress was delivered. It has been 2 weeks. The woman named Jennifer at corporate is ignoring and not returning my phone calls. I cannot deal with the store or manager level, as they are rude and have the worst customer service I've ever dealt with. They avoided my phone calls. They gave me the runaround. They had several different versions of a story to keep me at bay, and flat out lied at some points. I tried to go to the corporate level. I was received with apathy about my situation. And they were avoiding my phone calls. I just want my refund, as promised, and to be done with this company. I have considered hiring a lawyer or going to small claims court, but would much rather just have this be over.

Mattress Warehouse response

We reviewed and responded to the customer through another claim that was filed.

Our records indicate that we did honor the customer's request and refunded their delivery fee. Credit was refunded back to the customer's credit card.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2011

I ordered a mattress set online. The order was confusing as to whether it actually included the Triton foundation so I called my local store as recommended. The salesperson rudely asked as to why I wouldn't purchase in the store. I explained that the online delivery and purchase price total was less expensive so why would I go through the store? The mattress arrived without the box spring. Thankfully, the deliverymen recommended that I reject the order so as not to get "stuck" with a mattress that I couldn't return. I rejected the order and proceeded to the physical store to purchase, thinking it would ensure that what I was getting included the foundation. Being customer oriented, I was willing to give them another try "in person."

When I was in the store, I purchased what I thought was a good mattress. Admittedly, I felt a bit weary as I couldn't research or remember which items were good buys versus bad deals. As soon as I got home, all the online reviews indicated that not only was the mattress I had just purchased discontinued (the store manager feigned that it was brand new from the corporate warehouse in MD), but it was also horrible and was likely to feel like a wheelbarrow in a matter of months.

I am attempting to cancel the order so I called back to corporate office. However, they indicated that only the store can initiate a cancellation. I called the sales manager at the store and he gave me all kinds of attitude when I said that I wanted to cancel for the reasons described above. He actually hung up on me for the second time. Classy!

As a consumer, I warn anyone who is in his/her right mind not to deal with this establishment. They are all about commission and sales and have no semblance of pride in product and/or customer relation skills! Buyers, beware! I was told to expect a refund within 7-10 days of the regional manager receiving the paperwork but I will just have to wait and see if the sales manager at the store submits it in a timely manner.

Mattress Warehouse response

Customer's refund was processed in September for the order she cancelled.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2011

I ordered Prnceet-F-Matt. When my daughter tried to sleep on it, was not the same mattress in store--different pattern and pillow top. I went to the store and they said no refunds nor return. There has to be a law on this.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2011

Less than one year ago, I spent $800 on a new mattress and box spring. It is the top of the line. The bed frame has broken inside of the bed and now, it's collapsing. We are unable to sleep on it. So, we filed a claim and faxed our receipt for the purchase. However, Mattress Warehouse is saying that because the bed is a floor model, it is not covered under warranty. This was never explained to us, ever.

I called the store manager (Brian) today, 30 August 2011 and he said that the bed was so high end that it should have never broken. However, his hands were tied. He did admit that the sales representative noted it was a floor model but "didn't finish his thoughts" by noting that it was not covered under a warranty like he should have. I certainly refused to accept that I just wasted almost $900 total on a purchase the company doesn't stand behind.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2011

I am not blaming the clerk in the store because she is only following procedures. After Thanksgiving in 2010, I purchased a bed (frame, platform, mattress and iron bed). Four to five weeks ago, I submitted a complaint that the platform is squeaking, sagging and breaking. The Mattress Marshals in Maryland, who I am told can handle this, have agreed to replace the platform. However, I have to pay $65 to have them deliver it and take the old one. On top of this, the store no longer carries the brand or model that I bought so they have to upgrade it and I have to pay an additional $10! This is their faulty products but I have to pay to have them replaced! And I have to pay because they don't have an exact replacement! I will not purchase from Mattress Warehouse again.

Mattress Warehouse response

Customer received her replacement on August 31st.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2011

I have written a complaint before on how they treated us. I went back in to ask at least the 50 dollars they owed us for the bed frame, and the response was we have 180 stores to deal with, so there we go.

Now, can anyone help me in solving this matter with Mattress Warehouse or is this just a joke line for people to only ** on?

Original review: Aug. 6, 2011

We had a smoke fire in the house, so we needed to replace the bed in my daughter's room ASAP.

We ordered 2 full-sized mattress sets from the store. We got a great price and were fine with everything. The mattresses came while we were at work and my daughters were home to receive the mattresses. 2 men delivered them and my daughter tried to look them over and report any problems, to which she was told that they were just the contact delivery people. She did accept the mattresses since her sister needed a bed to sleep on. Because we were working full time, taking care of the renovations of our home etc., we didn't get to examine the mattress right away.

About 1 month later, we needed to move the mattresses and I got my first good look at them. There were dirt stains and places where the stitching was coming loose along with the backing looking like it was about to break with small holes on the bottom.

I immediately contacted the store that I bought them from, thinking that they would be horrified to find that the quality of the mattresses were not up to par. I spoke with the manager, Mike, who very quickly turned around and started speaking about taking pictures and warranties – basically taking no responsibility for the product.

I asked to speak with the district manager, who could only be contacted through the business office in Maryland. Basically no one would take ownership but I needed to go through the warranty process, which was so ridiculous. So I quickly called American Express and disputed the charge. I did follow the warranty process, asking for a receipt that it was received. I never got that, never got any response.

Finally after another month, I got a letter from Mattress Warehouse stating that they would bypass the independent warranty process and would store credit me (I had negotiated a good price with the store and I know I wasn't getting that price again). And, oh by the way, I needed to return the mattresses at my cost for $65 (which is more than I paid for the original delivery).

I called American Express and told them I was not accepting this offer and American Express told me the case was closed. I protested that, to which I was told it was closed in my favor, that Mattress Warehouse was not getting my money. I love American Express and can't believe what jerks Mattress Warehouse were. All I wanted to do was replace a mattress that was not up to quality.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2011

I had gone to purchase a new mattress and box spring. Granted this was in February of this year, at this time, my problem has yet to be resolved. I picked out a pillow top mattress, box spring and a cheap frame. Well needless to say, Chris called and said “We can't get the one you want at this time, but we will upgrade your pillow top.” So, I agreed I had to wait till it came a few more days. And it finally was delivered. It was not anyhow or any sort of pillow top. And the frame did not have all the parts. The delivery men put everything on the floor, and never returned with anything. So, my new bed was on the floor sitting. I was not home at the time this was delivered. When I went in to talk to Chris, he was not at work that day. The other salesman could not solve my problem, because he didn't sell me the bed. He gave me phone number to call Chris. Well to this day, it has been a runaround. No money was returned for the the frame or anything. And just today, customer service has yet to call me back. Do not buy from this company. Buyers beware of how they will treat you.

Original review: June 30, 2011

I purchased a mattress set and mattress cover (King) on Memorial Day from the Colonial Heights, VA location. I wasn't sure of a delivery date that would work for me so I said I would call back with a day. I did not leave with the mattress cover as I was told I could get it when I decided on my delivery date. I called back two days later to schedule my delivery date which was scheduled for that Saturday, June 4, 2011.

My mattress was delivered and set up with no problem. It occurred to me, later that day, that I did not have my mattress cover. I decided then that I didn't need it and called the store that I made the purchase and spoke with Hal who handled my credit card transaction for the sale. He told me that he would put in for a refund of the dollar amount on the cover with his corporate office. He told me that all refunds had to come through corporate. I have been calling corporate and the location I made the purchase several days a week, each week, since June 6, 2011, to get information on my refund which I still have yet to see as of today.

Each area keeps telling me it's the other areas fault. I will never deal with this business again and will continue to contact them for my money. Their website also advertises that I can expect my refund on my credit card within 48 hours **.

Mattress Warehouse response

Customer received a refund for the mattress cover on June 30, 2011.

Original review: June 21, 2011

Simmons Beautyrest is the product that I purchased! Please stay away from this store and company. Ray, the manager, is the biggest **! I found out that the entire company is like that! They really are the worst! They have no clue what customer service is all about and they will lie and tell you what you want to hear just to make a sale!

We went into this store in Woodbridge last week to buy a mattress. We ended up getting one that is over $1,300.00. We tried the mattress floor samples they had and we liked it. We asked about the delivery time and charges, and we were told that they can deliver it the following day for free! At the start, he sounded very honest and he was looking out for our best interest. He showed us binders of reviews on other mattress stores such as Mattress Discounters, Sleepy's, etc. He went on and told us how wonderful MW is and how mattresses that are returned/exchanged become floor samples or models and will never be resold as new mattresses. The man took my information, charges my card and set the delivery time for the next day. Sure enough, we did get the mattress delivered on the day we had it set up for.

I was at work and I was not able to see the mattress till later on that night. The mattress did not look like the one in the store and it did not even fit my bed. It sure was not the mattress that I just paid over $1,300.00 for! The delivery guys had removed the plastic cover without asking if that was okay and messed up my hallways when bringing in the mattress! I called the store but they were closed, so I called the following day. Chris, the person covering for Ray, said that only Ray would be able to help me with the exchange of my mattress. I did make it very clear that I don't want to return it. I just want to exchange it since it was not the same mattress I bought! I also told him that I don't care if I end up paying more for another one. He said that I call and talk with Ray tomorrow and to tell him what I just told him. So I did call back on Saturday morning, when Ray was in the store.

I called and I was told that the manager could not speak with me as he was with a customer. I left my name and number and waited, but I got nothing. I called back and he picked up the phone. He basically told me that Chris, the guy covering for him on Friday, did fill him in on what is going on and there was nothing he can do for me since MW does not take returns and/or exchanges! Wow, that wasn't what I was told while in the store with three other people who heard the conversation! I was also told that I was out of luck and that it was not his problem. While on the phone with him, he kept talking to another salesperson about how he needs to make a sale today, how much money they are looking to make and just having conversation with the other people in the store while I was letting him know that the mattress I purchased and the mattress that was delivered to me was not at all the same, and that I had spent all that money for nothing!

He told me that my spending over $1,300 and expecting comfort was not his problem. I asked him why I was never told that there was no refund or exchange policy. He said that if I would have asked, then he would have told me. But there is nowhere in the law of mattress that he would have to tell me that without me asking him! I asked for his supervisor's name and number, and told him that I was going to contact the person. The reply I got from Ray was, "I have been with this company for many years and I'm more important to them than any customer, so please go ahead and call". Well, I did call and I guess that 500-pound ** Ray was right. I left John, his supervisor, three voice mails and he did not bother to call me back once. I have slept on the floor since we got this mattress as it's very uncomfortable and it's causing me major hip and back pain.

One last note, I told him that I'm often in that shopping center and I will let people know that they have the worst service and that they don't show the no exchange or return policy to anyone. The only time that it's mentioned is on the back of the receipt after the item has been purchased, paid and signed for. The manager said, "come near my store and I will call the police. Remember that I have your address and I know where you live!" Oh great, so If I'm killed after this review, then you know where to go look for me! I will be contacting an attorney about my complaint just to seek justice from such company! If you want bad service, waste your money and be in pain, Mattress Warehouse is the place for you to go and get trashed.

Original review: June 15, 2011

Over the Labor Day weekend, I went into the Prince Frederick Mattress Warehouse location. I originally went into the store to purchase a Tempur Pedic bed. However upon review of the prices listed, I quickly found that the prices advertised online were not the same as the prices at this particular location. Based on budgetary reasons and a need for a new bed, I tested several other mattresses within the store. I found one pillow top mattress that was very comfortable and happened to be on sale. In addition to purchasing the mattress set, I also purchased a bed, and the required $170 mattress cover.

The items were all delivered to the house and set up by the delivery personnel. That evening I went to bed, and within 25 minutes I found that I could not sleep on the bed as it was very uncomfortable. I slept on an air mattress that evening. Because I tested a King size bed and ordered a queen size bed, I thought maybe it was the bed size. I went into the same Mattress warehouse location the next day, and asked if I could exchange the bed. The store clerk told me that I already accepted the bed, so there are no exchanges. In addition she stated that because the mattress set was under $2,000, that this is another reason why I could not exchange the bed.

I then contacted the Mattress Warehouse corporate offices to speak with their customer care department. I was told by the customer care agent that Mattress Warehouse only has a return policy on Tempur Pedic beds. When I responded with you are telling me that I spent over $2,500 total, and now have a bed I cannot sleep on and there is nothing you can do to assist me, the agent responded with that is correct. I immediately asked for the regional managers phone number. Once off the phone, I immediately called the regional manager and left a phone message asking him to call me about the situation. It has been almost two weeks since I left the message, and I have not heard word one from the Regional manager. I have not slept on the bed since I received it two weeks ago. I am still sleeping on an air mattress.

Original review: June 9, 2011

We went to Mattress Warehouse in Montgomery Mall over Memorial Day weekend to look for a mattress. I'm typically not an impulse buyer but the sales manager (Etay) seemed honest and they offered a 45 day guarantee so we went ahead and purchased a Tempur-Pedic mattress. As an additional incentive, we got 3 pillows and a mattress cover as gifts which the sales manager told us to take home with us that day because the mattress delivery do not deliver pillows.

He said if we were not comfortable with these pillows, we can bring them back to exchange. So we took the pillows and mattress cover home. Afterwards, I started having 2nd thoughts because this was an expensive purchase ($3,000). I hadn't done any research on the mattresses and this was the first store we went to so we decided to cancel the order.

Before the mattress was scheduled to be delivered, we returned to the store with the pillows and mattress cover unopened to cancel the order expecting to get a full refund on our mattress purchase. We were told that the pillows and mattress cover could not be returned because it was taken out of the store and they do not accept returned merchandise. I explained to them that I did not purchase these items. I purchased a mattress which I have not received and the pillows and mattress cover were gifts with purchase, are in new unopened condition, and were told to take home with us. They refused to accept this and insist on deducting the cost of the pillows and mattress cover ($400) from the refund of the mattress. The invoice only includes the price of the mattress. The invoice shows a zero amount for the pillows and mattress cover. Nowhere documented and not at any time were we told that we would be charged for these gifts.

The store manager instructed us to take back the pillows and mattress cover and he would contact the regional manager to determine the refund amount. 6 hours later, an associate calls us back to say that they would have to deduct $400 for the freebies and asked whether we wanted to proceed with the credit. We declined and asked to speak to the store manager who we were told was with a customer at the time. We asked the associate to have the store manager call us back. 2 days later, no response from the manager. We also contacted customer service the same day. The service rep informed us that they do not take back merchandise and we would be charged for the pillows and mattress cover. So I asked her if they gave us 10 pillows with purchase then I would be charged $1,000 for canceling my order. She said yes. She transferred me to the regional manager (Tarek) with whom I left a voice mail and no return call.

Mattress Warehouse response

We have reviewed the information provided for Christine.

Our Regional Manager contacted the customer on Thursday, June 9, 2011. Customer will receive credit, excluding the one pillow that had been opened.

Original review: June 4, 2011

On 04/02/11, at the Chantilly, VA Mattress Warehouse store, my wife and I wanted to purchase a Stearns and Foster mattress. We narrowed down our choices to the Bradenburg Luxury Firm and the Dartington Ultra Firm. At the point of sale, we specified "the softer" of the two (the Bradenburg). But "Matt" put us down for a "Darlington Ultra Firm" (his attempt to spell Dartington), order #: **. Since we had not paid close attention to mattress names and the difference between retail price and final price with tax, we believed we were getting the Bradenburg Luxury Firm. In reality, Matt had ordered the wrong mattress (a $1587.00 value after tax paid with a credit card).

Whatever the case, when the mattress was delivered the following Saturday (04/09/11), we soon noticed it was much, much firmer than what we had tested in the store. We also noticed it was a Dartington: the wrong model. Upon further inspection, we detected a strong musty or moldy smell. And opening the curtains to allow daylight in the room, we could see a stain of some kind (about 16" across). When we called the Chantilly store to inform them that it was the wrong mattress and there was a stain, Matt immediately questioned why we had not reported this sooner. He was suspicious of our explanation despite our honesty. And he said he would need pictures of the mattress and for us to contact the district manager via email (**).

We explained we had not noticed the stain until then because of the lighting in the room. We then contacted "Mark **", the district manager who returned our call and left a voicemail at 5:25 pm, Monday, April 11th. He said: "This is Mark ** from Mattress Warehouse. You had sent a couple of pictures regarding a recent mattress delivery. I just have a couple of questions for you on that." I called Mark ** back the following day. He inquired about the delivery and asked a few prepared questions. I stated that at the time of delivery, the lighting in the room made it very difficult to detect any stain. He seemed very suspicious and defensive. Mark immediately accused us of causing the stain on the mattress, and asked, "How often do you change your sheets?" I refused to answer that question saying that it had no relevance to our discussion, since he was attempting to accuse us of lying. He also accused me of "changing my story".

I realized very quickly that it didn't matter what I said at all since Mark was only interested in demonstrating that the delivery of this stained, smelly, and wrong mattress was our fault. So, by the time our conversation finished, we had been accused of lying. And Mark offered to "ask the delivery guys if they noticed anything" and that he would "see if the warehouse had reported any leaks on the roof". With that unbudging, inflexible response to our situation, it became clear that Mark (and Mattress Warehouse) had no intention whatsoever of actually helping us resolve anything. We then attempted to contact the president of Mattress Warehouse (David Ahern) multiple times. We left messages with the customer service reps at 1-800-233-7253. No return call was ever received. We want a full refund for the total amount paid ($1587.00) since this was not the mattress, stain, or smelly item we ordered.

Mattress Warehouse response

We received and resolved with the customer through another claim filed.

A representative from our company had been in contact with the customer. The company honored a one time exchange only. The cusotmer accepted the exchange on July 29, 2011.

Original review: June 3, 2011

I purchased a Simmons Brentford mattress from Mattress Warehouse after testing it out in the store. It was delivered the next day. However, it wasn't until I arrived home from work that I realized it was not the Simmons Brentford mattress I ordered, but the Breesport mattress. I immediately called and went to to the store the next day to explain that I didn't receive the mattress I purchased. I was told by Gaby that I should be able to exchange it, but nothing was definitive and I'd have to come back two days from then when the Manger, Body was there.

I was informed that there would be no resolution for a few days. So, sans mattress and with the arrival of Guests, I was pretty upset. I was informed by Customer Service that I probably would not be able to receive a refund and I may or may not be able to exchange. Jerry, the Regional Manager, called later to inform me he would take care of things and I would be able to exchange for a different mattress. I informed him that of the mattress I desired and also that I would pay the difference to a certain amount. If not, I told him I wanted a refund. He was checking with Corporate, but never returned my call. I returned to the store to speak with Body. He wasn't even aware of the situation. He called Jerry who stated they would give me an additional 10% off the sale price for the exchange. Body calculated the difference, and I paid an additional $460 with an expected delivery date three days later.

The evening prior to delivery, Body informed me that there was a gash in the mattress being delivered and they wouldn't get a shipment to be sent until a couple of days after that. Due to my situation, he said he would take it upon himself to make sure it was delivered that Wednesday. On Wednesday morning, I called Body was surprised the delivery men hadn't called. He called back to let me know he had made a mathematical error in the difference and that if I wanted the mattress we contracted for, I would have to pay more money. I informed him that I wouldn't spend any additional money and to just refund my money. He stated it would have escalated and from that point on, I have not been able to get a straight answer. I am being told that it is illegal for them to pick up the mattress. At the same time, I have spoken with Tiffany and Jennifer multiple times at Corporate Customer Service and "their hands are tied". Further, Jerry has yet to return the multiple calls I've left him.

We have a mattress as hard as rock, never slept in sitting in our bedroom. We have been sleeping on the couch as it is more comfortable. My credit company has put a hold on the charge of the additional $450 I paid. I am now trying to reach out to my Bank to dispute the debit charge I made initially. Please be advised of the unethical and bad business practices Mattress Warehouse engages in. They have yet to honor their contractual obligation and I feel victimized.

Mattress Warehouse response

We have reviewed the information provided regarding Ms. Peterson's claim.

Our records indicate that Ms. Peterson received her mattress exchange on June 8, 2011. Ms. Peterson was not charged anything additional, paying only the initial upgrade difference for the new mattress she selected in exchange for the original mattress she purchased.

Original review: May 31, 2011

After one year the mattress has become lumpy in the pillow top. Very uncomfortable and creates pressure points.

Mattress Warehouse response

Customer may file a warranty claim with our Warranty Claims Department for her mattress.

Original review: May 20, 2011

I bought a "cheap" mattress during a close out sale on 4/30/11 at Mattress Warehouse's Alexandria store for $240.00 plus tax. I picked up the mattress visibly in good condition and in plastic. Once I got the mattress home and out of the plastic, I could smell something musty, possibly moldy. I called the store a few days later regarding the concern about the smell and the person I spoke with told me that the pillow top might retain a "smell" and that it should dissipate within a week.

Not having been a week since I purchased the mattress, that explanation pacified me, yet I was skeptical. Now, well past the one week mark, I called back and spoke with Otis telling him that the musty or moldy smell persisted and was concerned that it posed a health risk. He stated that he was new and could not help me, that I had to call back tomorrow to speak with someone more senior.

So, I called back the next day and spoke with Nina, the person who sold me the mattress, again explaining that the mattress still smelled moldy and it had been about ten days since I purchased the mattress. Nina informed me that I had to go to the website and under the "Contact Us," send a complaint. I did that immediately after hanging up the phone.

I sent a complaint via email to which Katie responded the following day, 5/12/11, via voice mail message stating that I had to go to the company's website once again and under that "Contact Us" tab use that "Warranty Claim" link and fill out a warranty claim. I did so and the following day faxed a copy of my invoice to complete the warranty claim.

Now, approaching two weeks from my mattress purchase and not wanting to expose my family, especially my children, to a potential mold spores, I called to warranty claim center to verify that they received my claim. Jennifer assured me that they did and that the claim was already in process. I should receive a "voucher" to replace my mattress in an email in 10-15 minutes. I checked my email approximately 20 minutes later and there was a letter stating that the warranty service was willing to replace my mattress without having a third-party inspect the mattress.

My option for replacement was a store credit for $240.00 to be applied towards my mattress exchange; however, if I reselect a mattress of higher quality, I will be responsible for any price differential. Likewise, no refunds will be given if I select a mattress of lesser quality. It instructed me to visit the store where the original purchase was made and the store manager would help me to select a replacement and set up a delivery date.

The transportation costs are not covered by warranty and consequently, I will be charged a standard $65.00 to deliver my replacement mattress and remove the defective mattress. If I wish to avoid paying the delivery fee, the defective merchandise could be returned to the main warehouse in Frederick, Maryland after completing the necessary exchange paperwork from the store where the original purchase was made.

Upset by the very apparent inconveniences of disposal of the brand new moldy mattress, I called to warranty claim center. I spoke with Jennifer and requested to speak with a manager. She gave me the extension to Jerry **, the regional manager. I left a voice mail message stating my health concerns regarding the mold, my dissatisfaction with the delivery fee and in store credit and my strong desire to resolve this matter. I also left my warranty claim information, name and return call number. Mr ** did not return my call. I made additional attempts to reach him, speaking only with a woman named Sharon, who was not able to assist me and refused to give me the name of Mr. **'s supervisor.

Mattress Warehouse response

We have received the information provided for Rebecca Weisz.

Our records indicate that Ms. Weisz received her new mattress on May 28, 2011, in exchange for the mattress she claimed to be defective. Ms. Weisz was not charged the standard delivery fee for the exchange.

Original review: May 3, 2011

I purchased a mattress and box springs set. The item began to sag within a week! A warranty claim was processed and the Serta was found defective. Mattress warehouse (if you are here and looking at the laundry list of complaints, you realize you had dealt with a company that has no regard for its customers) agreed to honor a competitors price on a different mattress. We entered into a contract but now it gets familiar (if you've read the complaints against this awful company). Please sue them at every opportunity you can find. Attorneys will love to win against this defunct, nasty, lying, cheap company. I was told, two weeks after the contract was signed and I paid for the mattress, that they would not perform their duty under the contract (deliver a new mattress).

I filed a Better Business Bureau complaint. To date, the company (three weeks after breaching the contract) has not performed their obligations. As a Virginia attorney, I know that I can file a law suit in Virginia and obtain damages, including for violations of the Virginia consumer practices act, and attorneys fees. You should know this also if you are reading this post. For each and every Virginia or Maryland or DC consumer reading this post, please do not hesitate to contact the DC, Maryland, or Virginia state bar lawyer referral service if you encounter mattress warehouse of Frederick, MD, engaging in such illegal consumer practices. This company is run by a person with no regard to the United States of America, its enacted laws, its consumers, or anything we value. I am sorry to have ever dealt with this bottom feeding company. Don't do business with these renegades. Don't read their "responses'" as anything more than hollow and without any concern. This company should be avoided at all costs.

Original review: April 15, 2011

On March 20, I purchased a twin Glenwood mattress on sale for $227.50. This was one of those inflated sales where they mark the price up so they can mark it down. The mattress was worth about $250, but the salesman quoted the regular price at around $550. The mattress was not currently in the showroom. I wanted to pick the mattress up instead of paying an additional $60 to have it delivered. The salesperson, Tim, estimated the in-store date at 10 days. After 10 days, I started calling and asking about the mattress. All I got were vague and unhelpful answers like, "I'm not sure what's going on, it should have been here by now," and "Maybe it will be here on Tuesday."

Tim also told me that the mattress is manufactured in Fredericksburg, which is about 15 miles from where I bought it, so it's not like it was coming from China or anything. The store didn't even try to give me a reasonable justification for the delay, or a serious effort at finding a suitable substitute that was in stock. Finally, after three weeks of waiting and calling, I canceled the order. The salesman Tim told me that it would take about a week to get my money back. Based on that was promised, I went out and bought a mattress at their competitor's store for the same price (the whole process there took me 13 minutes as opposed to four weeks) and took the mattress home that day.

After a week, I still had not received a refund so I called the corporate office, who told me that it could take another three weeks before I get my money back. Seriously? They get to hold my money for two months and I get absolutely nothing in return? I never even had the mattress, it's not like I had to return the merchandise or anything. When I asked why the salesman would have told me I'd have my money back in a week, when this process typically takes a month, the corporate customer service person told me that the people in the stores often don't know what's going on.

No one in the store has ever made a sincere effort to address my problem, either by offering a suitable substitute item or expediting the refund. Their responses indicate to me a culture of unconcern with customer service.

Mattress Warehouse response

We have reviewed the information provided by Valerie Webber. We apologize for any inconvenience with the delay and communication regarding the delivery of the mattress she purchased.

Following up to Ms. Webber's refund, our records indicate that a credit to her credit card was made on April 21, 2011.

Mattress Warehouse Company Information