2. Homeowners
  3. Mattress Brands

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.77/5

Save Money. Sleep Happy.™

With more than 3,500 company-operated and franchised stores across 49 states, Mattress Firm has the largest geographic footprint in the United States among multi-brand mattress retailers. Founded in 1986, Houston-based Mattress Firm is the nation's leading specialty bedding retailer with over $3.5 billion in pro forma sales in 2015. In September 2016, the company was acquired by Steinhoff International for $3.8 billion, and Mattress Firm now operates as a subsidiary of Steinhoff

The company, through its brands including Mattress Firm, Sleepy's and Sleep Train, offers a broad selection of both traditional and specialty mattresses, bedding accessories and other related products from leading manufacturers, including Serta, Simmons and Hampton & Rhodes.

10 suggested offers from our partners.

Our favorite mattress companies of 2021

Shop Now

10 suggested offers from our partners.

Our favorite mattress companies of 2021

Shop Now

Mattress Firm Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mattress Firm?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mattress Firm?

Original review: June 18, 2020

Salesman who was also manager of store, according to him, took time to show me the adjustable bases & sales mattresses. The Memorial day sale was extended. I presume because of pandemic not many people out shopping. Anyway: made my purchase & the warranties & since items were in stock delivery was to be in couple days. Well gentlemen came; brought in new frame/mattress & removed my old mattress/box spring. Thus far all is well.

Original review: May 7, 2020

Nice mattresses, comfortable, and the staff is friendly. However their payment plans are unrealistic during this pandemic and just a little pricey. What I like for us 1. Quality of comfort of a mattress. 2. The quality in which it is made and the style such as memory foam or pillow top. 3. Price, I guess this should be number 1. 4. Financing or payment plan options. 5. Promotions. Number 3 and 4 are just not in time with today's living standards.

Get buying tips about Mattresses delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 5, 2020

I think my all foam mattress is lovely. It can get warm, but I wake up with no body aches. I fell for a trick in the show room. I was told it had "cooling gel" and when we laid on it, it was cool. It was also under the a/c vent in the showroom. We bought it, but it is still warm and my husband still sweats. We bought a cover for it and sheets through the same store. They are lovely as well, and perhaps the cover is why we don't get any feeling of "cooling gel". It is still the best purchase, and interest free financing is lovely.

Original review: May 4, 2020

The store was closing which I knew walking in and the sales rep made no bones about it, even took time to explain why they were closing locations. He managed to talk me into a better bed that was on a huge discount instead of making me go cheap and return in two years. He gave me his new location as well if I had any questions and made sure when they took my old mattress, they took both. He wasn't looking for sales to beg to keep open, he was looking to get people into a good night's sleep.

Original review: April 28, 2020

I walked in with a rough idea of what I'd end up with but ended up with what I WANTED! I was amazed the sales representative knew I really wanted the mattress in the other aisle! Of course, it may have been she caught me side-eyeing my "dream mattress" lol. She walked over to her desk, making sure to walk by my WANT. When I realized, by catching a glimpse of the sales tag, I could afford it was a moment unlike any purchase before! I had my dream mattress delivered 1 day later at no charge.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

I have to say I never expected to write this type of ratings for Mattress Firm or for the Purple bed. I have been buying mattresses for my family from mattress firm for years 25+. In April 2020 I went to the mattress firm on San Jose Blvd. to purchase a purple mattress with the Adjustable frame due to my husband having severe chronic pain which will continue through his life. Everything I’ve heard about purple and my experience with mattress firm in the past has always been very pleasant and professional. We went in to get the mattress. Sales person stated that we could get the two twin bases (since he had those in the store and would not hold up delivery) and they would work in unison together with our new Purple king size mattress. We asked multiple times if there would be any problems and he stated no. They were sold like that often. Not only did it take us a while to even get our mattress, But the bases has never acted correctly together.

In July 2020 I began placing warranty calls to try to fix my base. One ceased to work at all. They replace the power cord and then they replace the power box that goes at the bottom of one of our bases. They just did this on February 13, 2021. We’re looking at close to a year of having a bed that does not work correctly. When you call Reverie they take days to call you back if you they can ever catch you. You cannot contact anyone if you call. For the amount of money and the reputation of Purple company and Reverie and Mattress firm you would think between all of those they would be able to address our concerns.

We called mattress firm. They referred us to Reverie. Of course the number was bad so we had to track down how to contact them. We have never been able to speak with anyone with Purple which is very disappointing. For owning this bed less than a year you would think that they would be able to correct this error. Before purchasing from Mattress firm or Purple I would definitely look into the customer service side of it. I’m sad to say that because I researched Purple for over five months to determine which mattress we needed use to assist my husband. My only hope is that possibly someone will respond to this review of the service received. Hope you have better luck than we have!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2021

Received firm mattress on 1/1/21 & sinkhole formed two days later. Downloaded Mattress Firm’s online measurement card and sent photos to show unlevel mattress when filing claim. Chat representative stated there would be a fee for picking up the mattress because it was a comfort issue. I replied you cannot be comfortable on a defective mattress. Due to poor customer service/fees, I did not reorder from them. Instead, I slept on a box spring for two weeks until a new firm mattress arrived from another company. Mattress Firm still charged me $100.74 and I have absolutely nothing to show for it except a terrible experience. I wish I had read the reviews before ordering a mattress from this company.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

In December I spent $3000 for a bed. They brought me a really hard mattress that couldn't be slept on. They say no problem to exchange. I went in and they wanted another $1000 for a softer bed. Now it's middle of February and I'm sleeping on the floor. They are still rescheduling my delivery. I have no choice but to wait because they won't give me all my money back either. What a nightmare

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

I went in to purchase a few items. Box springs and a mattress protector. They showed me the mattress protector first. Great. 240.00 but ok. I’ll take it. Not so fast. They can’t sell it off the floor, so they have to ship it 3RD party 5-7 days. I said, "No thanks. I’ll order on Amazon." I did and received next day. The box springs guaranteed delivery next day between 11-1 pm. Waited all day no call, no e mail. No nothing. The app they say that tracks your order doesn't work. When scanned it says it wasn’t even out for delivery. Meanwhile Brian from the store looks into it and says that the drivers said no one was at the house.

Mind you I live in an apartment not a house. The Apartment has a leasing office open during those hours as well as video call boxes at every entrance with my name on the directory. Little did they know my wife is the property manager and I have access to the video, ran the video from 10 am 2:30 pm. Guess what? No Mattress Firm delivery truck. So it was clear they never even attempted the delivery and then they get on the phone and bold face lie to you... obviously such companies are not worth doing business with. They didn’t even apologize. Horrible experience and buyer beware!!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

The Mattress Firm store manager repeatedly lied about return policies of the store. I purchased a mattress on Jan. 8 and returned it in like-new condition on January 21st. The mattress was lumpy and uncomfortable causing back problems to become inflamed. A promised refund was not submitted and I am having to work with another store to try to get my money back. Manager never mentioned a 20% return fee telling me I could return within 100 days at no charge. I have a turn receipt, dated January 21, signed by the Service Manager stating the mattress was returned in like-new condition. If a zero stars was possible, that's what I'd give this store.

The manager lied to me and is not returning my money. BEWARE ALL SHOPPERS! Double check everything and don't buy into "You can return it any time within 100 days for a full refund". When I returned it, I was told about a 20% restocking fee (never mentioned when I bought the mattress), and ultimately was not credited one dime of my purchase price even though I have a return statement by the Service manager that it was returned "like new." You can't complain about anything to the corporate office as they refer you directly to the store only. When I called the store today, I got a bunch of mumbo jumbo from some guy who said he'd have to call me back. No return call.

Mattress Firm author review by Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.

Mattress Firm customers can browse at over 3,000 retail stores or online. Financing options with convenient monthly payments are available. Consumers who don’t want to apply for financing with Mattress Firm can still enjoy a 90-day payment option.

• Mattress pricing: Queen mattresses start at around $300.

• Types of mattresses: Select from innerspring, memory foam, hybrid, encased coil, gel memory foam or pillow-top mattresses from several manufacturers. Mattress Firm sells all the major brands of mattresses; consumers can test out a variety of brands in one of its showrooms.

• Trial period: Customers enjoy a 120-night sleep trial period.

• Warranty: Warranties vary by manufacturer.

• Additional products: Beds, frames, bedding and pillows are also available. Mattress Firm also assists with commercial sales for schools, hospitals, government agencies, interior decorators or other businesses that need to buy mattresses in bulk.

by Michael J. Breus, Ph.D. Mattress Contributing Editor

Michael J. Breus, Ph.D., known as The Sleep Doctor, is a Clinical Psychologist and both a Diplomate of the American Board of Sleep Medicine and a Fellow of The American Academy of Sleep Medicine. He is on the clinical advisory board of The Dr. Oz Show and is a regular contributor on the show. He is also the author of several books, including The Sleep Doctor’s Diet Plan: Lose Weight Through Better Sleep (Rodale Books; 2011) and Good Night: The Sleep Doctor’s 4-Week Program to Better Sleep and Better Health (Dutton/Penguin; 2006). Dr. Breus has been featured on several national media outlets, including The Today Show, The CBS Early Show and Psychology Today.

Mattress Firm Company Information