2. Homeowners
  3. Furniture Stores

3.8/5 (190 ratings)

About Broyhill

Broyhill Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Broyhill?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Broyhill?

Original review: Dec. 26, 2012

I purchased a Broyhill sectional from Direct Buy back in August. My wife and I had it custom-made to our order with materials that were supposedly extra durable and cushions which were purported to provide additional comfort. The furniture arrived, and the first thing my wife noticed was that the skirting around the bottoms of each piece were not properly sewn, so some of them did not hang correctly. Secondly, she noticed that the material across the bottom of all pieces had not been pulled up far enough before they were attached/sewn, so the pieces weren't on a straight line horizontally across the sectional pieces. Lastly, the coiled cushions that were to provide additional support and comfort were smashed down within a few minutes of sitting on them, making the seating uncomfortable as we were virtually sitting on the foundation of the couch.

All of this was reported to Direct Buy, who in turn contacted Broyhill. We received call from DB telling us that a local upholstery repair shop would be out to look at our furniture. A few days later, the repairman showed up as promised. He looked at the furniture and had a paper that listed all of our complaints. He told us that he would fix the uneven seams and the skirting, but would have to order different cushions. He told us that he had heard a lot of complaints about the coiled seats and that he would order cushion replacements that would provide much greater comfort and support. He made the repairs the best he could, though they still weren't as perfect as we would expect them to be from a supposedly quality manufacturer and certainly not for the retail price on this furniture. The cushions he brought back with him were much thicker and at first seemed to be super comfortable. However, within a few hours of sitting on them, they too compacted down to the point of where we were virtually sitting on the couch foundation again. We rotate the cushions constantly and are able to sit for some period of time before we have to move due to butt pain.

The material on the couches we sit on (it's just my wife and I in the house) are starting to get a snagged look on the back cushions and on the seat cushions. The back cushion where I primarily sit is really bad. I usually have just gym shorts and a crew shirt on, so there's nothing on my clothing that could be snagging the material. Also, the material on the back cushion is sagging caused by the compressing of the foam and perhaps stretching of the material itself. It's ugly. The cushions are uneven, wavy and generally make the sectional look like it's several years old instead of just a few months. I will contact Direct Buy when they re-open after the holidays and see about getting this couch replaced. We are very disappointed about the quality of this couch. However, to date, we're very happy about how Direct Buy is taking responsibility and action to get folks engaged. Hopefully, that will continue.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2012

After shopping for a number of weeks for new living room furniture and trying a number of different sofas/chairs/sectionals for comfort, I found a Broyhill sectional that I thought was extremely comfortable. To confirm it, I, along with my family and friends, sat in the showroom model three different times to feel the comfort. After it seemed as though it was the most comfortable one that I tried, I custom ordered the sectional for about $5,000. After the Broyhill Kadin sectional was delivered about six weeks later, I found that the back and seat cushions sag after sitting on them a period of time. The lack of support actually causes back pain.

I contacted the Broyhill, the manufacturer both through their Website and Facebook page, and in both responses, I was redirected to the retailer, Raymour and Flanigan. Raymour and Flanigan told me that I could make a claim since it was under warranty. The retailer then sent a repair person out who determined there was nothing they could do since it was a "comfort issue". I found that to be a strange answer. Of course, it's a comfort issue! The repair person just sat on each piece for a moment, so how could he determine that the unit was made properly? Why didn't my back hurt after sitting in the showroom model for extended periods three different times when my sectional hurts my back after a few minutes? All of the furniture manufacturers deal with this issue, so they must have a standard resolution. I think it's a reasonable request that the cushions need to be much firmer.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2012

I purchased 2 loveseats 2 1/2 years ago. The spring on the back of one couch broke 6 mo. after I had it & they sent someone to repair. At the same time, all cushions went flat & they were replaced by the same quality cushions that went flat 6 months after that. At that same time, the fabric began to pill (I paid extra for this upgrade fabric) & was told that no one had ever complained about that fabric. I had to replace insert cushions costing me $300(!) from another vendor so that we could sit on the couches. The cushions never laid right, and it was not sewn properly. Broyhill said that they could not do anything else for me. This all took place less than a year after buying it. They will be 3 years old this spring and they are falling apart. When we sit, you can hear the springs in the back popping and the bottom of the couch sagging. I will never buy anything from Broyhill again & recommend anyone else to do the same! I threw my money out of the window. Broyhill is equal to a terrible company - product & service! Our old set, 15 years old, is at my daughter's (with two kids) and they are as great and comfortable as the day I bought them.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2012

Broyhill makes junk. My two chairs are only 5 years old and are falling apart. I paid $2,000 for both pieces and will have to just throw one out. I won't even give it away.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2012

I purchased a new Air Dream Sleeper sofa in early June 2012. It was delivered the week of July 4. When I purchased, I explained to the salesperson I have a studio condo and this would be my only source for a bed, was it built for 24/7 use and was assured it was. 20 years ago, I purchased my entire living room set from Darvin in Orland Park, IL (which was all Broyhill pieces from the sofa to the TV cabinet, etc.) and they last many years. So of course when I'm going to buy something new, I wanted Broyhill. I wish I had known of their "quality" decline and where they are choosing to have their furniture made. I would never have bought this piece from them.

It is now early November 2012 (only 4 months later) and while in bed, I heard several huge popping noises. Upon checking, it seems there are several small cells which hold the air for the inflatable mattress. It appears the seam must have given and now I had one very wide cell going across the mattress which was just at the lower base of my back. This happened on a weekend so I was going to call Darvin on Monday. By Sunday evening, the entire mattress had deflated on its own.

I called Monday and was told that an inspector would need to look at (which I totally understand), but they can't come out until November 30. I'm longer than the sofa so I have to sleep with feet hanging over the end! Customer service was very gruff and not at all friendly. I'm now worried I will go through this every 4 months. Does anyone else have this type of sofa sleeper or have you had any problems? I will never buy another Broyhill product in my life. I'll let you know what they say. Also, when the sofa was delivered, the pillows that come with it were all misshapen and the fabric is seriously hideous, not what I remember from the store.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2012

I bought a "custom" sofa, chair and ottoman. The pillows with the sofa came totally misshapen, and the salesman at the Broyhill Gallery (part of American Furniture) in Colorado Springs told me it just needed to be kneaded because it was lumpy. He offered to do this for me and did, but then I realized they would never be square because the seams are so crooked - they look like they were sewn by a 4-year-old. The sofa is only 2 months old, and the cushions already sag. The middle cushion sticks out further than the ones on either side and is sewn on, so it can't be adjusted. The sofa looks older than my 12-year-old sofa that I bought from Macy's 12 years ago and put in my basement. While the sofa cushions are of varying thickness (all pretty flat), the cushion on the chair is enormous - very thick! Horrible quality but not cheap prices.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2012

I will not order another Broyhill product ever! I ordered a couch in early spring. I was told 4-6 weeks, okay. It took 12 weeks. I actually love the sofa, so now I wanted a chair. I ordered it on August 15th 2012 and it's now November 15. No chair. They are saying I might have it by Christmas. Really! Are they that busy in this economy? They say it's a fabric issue (getting it). If it takes this long to get the material, discontinue it!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2012

I bought a complete Broyhill living room set in April 2011. By August 2012, the sofa cushion cover was fraying and the cushions on all the pieces are compacted. I contacted Broyhill, but the 1-year warranty was done. The upholsterer they recommended said the fraying was due to narrow seam allowances and will recur. I will never buy Broyhill again.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2012

I had bought an off-white bedroom set for my 10-year-old daughter and have had several places on the furniture turn yellow and even black. It is where things have sat on the desk or dresser. Today, I was dusting and noticed a yellow ring where her lamp had been sitting. It is all underneath the areas where things have been placed on the dresser.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2012

I ordered the couch from Front Room Furnishings. When I finally got it, it had several wrinkles on the top of the pillows and the front of the cushions. I'm thinking maybe I'm being too picky and tried to convince myself it was alright. Well it's not! So a rep from Front Room just left and said that's what happens to these couches when you sit on them. I tried to tell him it looked like that when I got it, to no avail! So just a warning, don't buy from Broyhill or Front Room Furnishing! I wish I would have read these reviews before I purchased.

Original review: July 24, 2012

I purchased a table and 1 bar stool. I already had 3 previously. I put my feet on the rung and it broke. I received a replacement stool which doesn't completely match the other 3. After I received the replacement, screws holding the cushion on started dropping out. I also have a dining room set with 6 chairs. I had one of your service men come out to tighten the screws on the new bar stool. I also advised him of the screws that were loose on the dining room chairs. He was very gracious and tightened all of the screws. Last week, I was cleaning in my dining room and found 2 screws that have dropped out of the dining room chairs. About the only time the chairs are moved is once a week to clean. I keep tightening them but they loosen up again. Please solve this problem for me as I am elderly and have problems of continually fixing them (which I should not have to do in the first place).

Original review: June 1, 2012

I bought a Broyhill sofa, chair and ottoman. I had it no time at all and the fabric started fraying at the seams. The fabric of the chair and ottoman was faded straight away when it arrived. I contacted the store from where it was purchased and they have been working with their rep for several months. Broyhill said if you have the Guardsman's fabric protection put on your furniture that it voids the warranty, which was not told by the store. The Guardsman's warranty states it does not cover seam failure so now the rep's hands are tied. I feel that if you buy Broyhill furniture that you will not get your money's worth. The quality of their furniture has declined and they do not stand behind their name. I considered Broyhill to be one of the top name brand furniture when I purchased it but that was my mistake and I will never buy furniture again from Broyhill. And I will advise all my Facebook friends and family to do the same.

Original review: May 14, 2012

We bought our Broyhill Cambridge sofa and love seat set from Levin Furniture. In less than a year, the cushions were sagging and the material was peeling terribly. When it peels, the fabric turns to little white balls making it look like bits of paper on the cushions. I contacted Broyhill, and after letters and pictures, they sent me replacement cushions, which have done the exact same thing. We now have 2-year-old furniture that is on its second set of cushions, and it looks like it belongs in a dorm room. Our pieces have not been abused in the least. I have purchased this brand in the past with no complaints, but it appears their quality has suffered greatly. I don't want to have to jump through hoops to have my cushions replaced again. I'm very disappointed.

Original review: May 8, 2012

I ordered a Maddie Set through AAFES. The items were erroneously posted as shipped. I was notified of the error. A month later, they shipped and I received the items and they do not match. Also, one of the frame beams that supports the seating surface was hanging down and nearly tearing through the fabric that covers the bottom. This is extremely disappointing from a company that is supposedly known for its quality. I will not purchase this brand again.

Original review: April 2, 2012

I bought the Broyhill Cambridge sofa and chair and paid almost $1700. Within the first several weeks, the foam cores in the seat cushions were sagging. I contacted Levin Furniture where I bought it and they came to replace the cores. They also reshuffled the back cushions because they are also sagging. Within 2 weeks, these cushions even looked worse than the first set that I had. I contacted Levin again and they replaced those cores. Now, by this time, I am very angry that within one year, the cores have had to be replaced twice. This time, I asked for the sofa and chair to be replaced. That is not an option.

I explained that I was very unhappy with the store and would never purchase from Levin again. They contacted me the next day and said that Broyhill now had a new core that includes springs inside. I just received them a few weeks ago and same story: they are becoming crushed and sagging. I now have to turn the cushions over about once a week. Also, it appears now that the frame is sagging. Do not buy Broyhill. I’m very disappointed with my purchase. I expected much higher quality for the price that I was paying.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2012

I purchased the Broyhill Attic Heirloom counter height kitchen table Oct. 2006 (barely 5 years ago). Distress look in store was attractive. Piece I received has huge silver dollar sized divits/knots and finger sized worm lines i.e. poor quality! Finish has not held up and has been wearing off, too.

Over the past year or so I had noticed the table was becoming warped. At first, I thought it was my imagination, but a few months ago it become quite obvious. Last week, the table actually collapsed in the middle! My 7 year old son was sitting at the table eating a sandwich and my dogs were under the table! Thank God no one knows seriously injured! Table is in original location, so it was never moved. Please if you own this table there are serious structural issues with this table you should be aware of! If you notice the table starting to warp - please discard it ASAP!

This is appalling! A five year old table should not just collapse! Especially one that cost $1500! The table is completely unusable and unsafe. Now I have to pay someone to get rid out it and purchase a new table! Obviously, Broyhill is not the quality it used to be!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2012

Sectional is collapsing in the left rear corner, and toward the front under the cushion. I contacted Sam's Club, where it was purchased, and it only has a 90 day warranty there. I have contacted Broyhill by email and asked for a solution. Wish me luck with that. I just want everyone to know that Broyhill is not the quality furniture it used to be.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2012

I bought the Mirren Pointe dining room table and chairs. They are not deep chocolate brown. They are black. I really, really wish I had seen them in person instead of believing the description from Broyhill. I am so disappointed. It is not the look I was going for at all and it sticks out like a sore thumb from the rest of my dark brown furniture.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2012

I purchased a sectional couch from Hudson’s during their Labor Day sale on September 4, 2011. I asked our sales person (Alicia **) how long it would take for it to be delivered. She told me it would be 6-7 weeks. I said that was fine. I paid for the couch in full. I was scheduled for major surgery on October 12th and decided to get rid of the bigger section of my sectional Saturday, October 8th so my husband didn’t have to do it himself. I called Alicia the week of October 14th to see what the status was on my couch.

She said she wasn’t sure because she didn’t understand why it hadn’t dropped off her list. She said she would call the manufacturer to see what was going on. She called me back and said the manufacturer was having a problem getting the cover for my couch and it was on back order. I understand that this was something out of Alicia’s control but when she noticed my couch was not falling off her list she should have checked into the matter then and not wait until the customer calls wanting to know where their couch was.

I feel I should have been given other options, the opportunity to pick another couch, a different color or cancel the order altogether. So Alicia told me I’d have my couch November 24th and I told her that was fine. The week of November 24th I called to check the status of my couch. She told me they still didn’t have it and would most likely be the week of December 26th. I got a call from Alicia December 28th telling me the couch wouldn’t arrive until the week of January 3rd. Today is January 5th and I still haven’t gotten a call about my couch. I think at this point I need to cancel.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2011

Broyhill Austin Sofa: junk, junk, junk! The sofa started to fall apart in weeks, so Broyhill replaced it. The second sofa is just as bad. The cushions are sagging and the foam slips off the arms. I’m stuck with a sofa that is only a year old and is falling apart. I am out nearly of $1,000 that I spent on this junk. Do not by Broyhill!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2011

I have a dresser set which I have bought a long time ago and I can't get the drawers out. Is there anyway to get these out?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2011

Never buy Broyhill Furniture, the company does not stand behind their products. I bought a sofa and love seat from a local furniture store and Broyhill is not even helping them with the problems with the sofa. The cushions and sofa looked ten years old the day it was delivered. The dye on the fabric looked faded. The store ordered another sofa and love seat. The seat cushions were better, but the store had to put more filling in the back cushions. The fabric color is still not correct. I bought the first set in Jan. 2011, I returned it and another set was delivered in July 2011.

It is now Oct. 2011 and I am still waiting for the fabric to be fixed by changing the skirt on the sofa. The store has ordered the skirt three times. I continue to wait. I spoke with the consumer division yesterday of Broyhill Furniture. The woman I spoke with told me to call the store where I purchased the furniture. The store is not the problem, Broyhill is the problem. She took no information from me. Yesterday, when my husband sat down on the sofa, the leg broke off. Don't buy Broyhill furniture, you will be sorry.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2011

I have a Broyhill double pedestal table, base #5306-54W. The feet on both pedestals became loose and flipped around when trying to open/close the table within a year of purchase. Someone had to crawl under it to adjust the feet, while someone standing had to lift the table when either opening or closing it. Now the top is listing by 2 1/2 inches. It is much worse when it is in the open position. My fear is that it will actually fall off the bases when my guests are dining. The table was purchased in 2006. But it was just over a year when I began to complain about the problem. At this point, I would rather squish my guests around the table rather than try to open it. It's just not fair! The Bassett table I replaced this joke with was over 40 years old. It looked like it had just left the showroom, and was just as sturdy. I sincerely believe there was a design flaw in this particular table.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2011

My 10-year old sofa recliner mechanism broke. According to my original Broyhill Warranty, the mechanism has a lifetime warranty. After trading emails back and forth for over a month, Sarah states that mechanism has been discontinued and the lifetime warranty is prorated over 7 years and so I was not covered. After requesting written documentation from Broyhill about 7 years and providing my original warranty, Sarah informs me she does not have any written documentation and simply provided an 800 number for me to call a repair service.

Original review: May 6, 2011

I purchased a radiance lounge set, dining set and the deep seating sofa set from Costco's Web site. On delivery, legs were broken on chairs and sofa, legs do not fit correctly--nothing fits and nothing is square. I just noticed that a cushion is missing also. Costco are working to get replacement parts for me. My concern is that the replacement will be the same ** that I have already received. It's all made in China, apparently, without any quality control. Nonetheless, Broyhill keep on buying from the same supplier. I spent $11k for these furniture sets and I am totally dissatisfied.

Original review: April 13, 2011

My wife and bought a bedroom suite from Broyhill in Coquitlam, B.C., Canada. The sales lady,Valerie, told us that only the chest of drawers would be a floor model and the rest would be new. When I got home, I looked at the invoice and she had written floor model at the bottom. Meaning that all of it was a floor model.

Now at 70yrs old, you would think that I would look at what I was signing, but this was Broyhill and I thought they had a great reputation. When the furniture arrived we were very disappointed. The night tables were a dark brown not black and you could tell that they didn't have enough coats of lacquer. We thought that we could get another set of night tables, but Sherry, their service rep said that they have a no returns no exchange policy. Valerie told us that the furniture was made in North Carolina. But when we looked at the back, it said that it was made in Vietnam. Then we checked with the Better Business Bureau and found out that they had an F which is as low as you can get.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2010

We own many pieces of Attic Heirlooms collection that were purchased six years ago, and we love them. They are very durable and sturdy. We just purchased the Counter Table, Sofa Table and Dining Chest in August 2010 and the finish on them has a strange issue with it. If you set anything on it, it creates either a white mark or a grease mark. The only way it can be removed is by using steel wool across the whole table. One of my friends has the same exact table and is having the same problem.

The furniture dealer is sending out a service tech for the second time and is now going to take pictures. Hopefully, the furniture dealer will make this right. I believe the only way to fix this is to refinish the table. I think that Broyhill used to make their furniture in U.S.A. and I flipped over the chair and it says "MADE IN CHINA." Maybe this is why there are these issues. I am very disappointed in their products. I have been a long time consumer of their products, so it bothers me that they would allow their product to decline in quality like this.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2010

I purchased a Broyhill dining room set with matching buffet and hutch and paid around $3200. It is a gift for my mother. I received half of my shipment which I already had it shipped to my mother's address. Now, today, I am finding out that this set is not real wood. My mother had a carpenter look at the table in order to build her a matching piece and he told her, "Ma'am I hope you did not pay a lot of money for this set. It is a cheap product." I do not think that $3200 is cheap money I would have liked to know before I made that purchase that the wood was not real wood.

So if at any point these pieces get damaged, it will never be repairable. I feel as though I wasted my money and bought junk. I wish I could send it back to the furniture store and that in the future, they let customers know what they are buying so that they can make better choices. I am very disappointed in this set and I think that I will return the other pieces that have not been delivered yet.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2010

A few years back, we bought a Broyhill Attic Heirlooms kitchen table chairs and a bench as well as a bedroom suite of the same collection and living room end tables. My problem at this point is with the kitchen table, the finish on the table is gummy, you can’t even sit a plate on it with hot food or else it turns white. I always use potholders to sit dishes on but then thy stick to the table. My table looks like a piece of crap. We paid a lot of money for this furniture and the only way to get it fixed is to pay a man to refinish it for me.

I thought when we bought this table it would last a lifetime. Boy, I did get fooled. They may have got the antique look right but they sure did miss the quality. My grandmother’s table was very similar to this but she never had this much problems and it was used way more often than mine. I am pure ashamed to invite guests over because this table looks so bad. Broyhill, you ripped me off. Not to mention, I have the bedroom set for my daughter. At that time I purchased a dresser and mirror, amoir and bed but guess what, the whitewash finish is now discontinued so I once again am SOL. Thanks Broyhill!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2010

Noticeable declination in quality of products over the last 3/4 decade. I was quite proud when I started integrating Broyhill into my household furniture needs. The original pieces are still well built. The new ones (Breakfast table, chairs, bar chairs, and two end tables) are simply garbage. Cheaply built w/ extremely poor durability in physical wood integrity, quality of assembly, and cure of final lacquer finish. I'm moving on to Thomasville and Amish Built now. You get no second chances with me and my money. A disappointing fall from grace indeed. Only about one ladder rung better than cheap walmart furniture now.

Broyhill Company Information