1.33/5

Looking for a good furniture store?

Bassett Furniture Direct

Looking for a good furniture store?

Bassett Furniture Direct Reviews

Original review: Aug. 9, 2012

Four years after purchasing a Hudson leather sofa and a Hudson leather recliner at Bassett Furniture Direct, Jacksonville, Florida, the leather started to peel off. Both were from the Bassett John Elway Home Collection. I purchased a Guardsman Elite Furniture Protection Plan on both pieces, but they refused to replace the furniture. I was told by the salesperson that I was purchasing "top-of-the-line" leather furniture. That's a joke! I'm surprised that Bassett is able to stay in business selling this kind of junk. Do not purchase anything from Bassett Furniture Direct.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2012

Four years after buying a leather sofa and love seat at Bassett Furniture, the leather started to peel off. When I tried to file a claim with the extra protection warranty we bought, I was turned down because the problem was not the result of an accident. I called the Bassett store in Jacksonville, FL, where I bought the sofas and was told that there was nothing they would do about it because the furniture was over a year old. Now a year later, both sofas are totally ruined and I have to replace them. I am disgusted by the poor quality of this furniture and will never purchase another item from Bassett.

Original review: July 15, 2012

If you read my other posts, you’ll see that Bassett can't seem to get anything correct. But after many, many days, we are down to only two problems. One piece of furniture still does not have the top and legs that I ordered. When they delivered the top and bottom to the other piece I ordered (I guess they can only do one fix at a time, no multitasking here), I mentioned that the top and bottom of the other piece still needed fixing.

The delivery people first told me no, that wasn't going to happen. Then, they checked the manifest and lo and behold, there was supposed to be a top and bottom in the truck for the second piece. But after checking, they weren't there. So another delivery had to be scheduled. But that same day, they delivered my rug. They laid it down and I was horrified. It was butt ugly. Everyone insisted that this is what I ordered. I could not believe it. The colors were not the least bit compatible with my love seats. I was devastated. I even lost sleep that evening wondering how I could have made such a horrible mistake.

I called and called Basset to try to let them know that this had to be a mistake, but there was no getting through. I must have called 30 times in a two hour window. I used my cell and my landline. I asked my husband to call and the same thing. No way of getting through. Oh, so I get a call the next day. We would like to fix your furniture with the right top and bottom and deliver to you the correct rug. They got it wrong again! See my next post on how well the next delivery happened. The errors just keep on coming. Are you tallying up the score? Wrong color, wrong top, wrong bottom, wrong drawers and cabinets, can't fix the two pieces of furniture in the same visit, wrong rug delivered and installed all this while getting arguments from the Bassett staff that I was the one wrong.

Original review: July 14, 2012

There are several defects in the tall dresser. There are three one-inch long cuts in the wood. It makes it look like an old piece of junk. These dressers cost me over $3,000.00.

Original review: July 11, 2012

I ordered nearly $10,000 in furniture. The pieces have pretty much poor construction. The two wood pieces had the wrong top and the wrong legs, and the doors and drawers were mixed up and not what I ordered. The color was also wrong. The sales associate initially said the order was correct, even when I sent her a photo of what was delivered versus what was ordered. Ah, but the sales associate (called a design expert - must be a company joke) and the store manager said, "Don't worry; we'll make it right." If you hear that, start worrying, because they really mean they will make it right for their selves, not the customer. They said I could return the furniture for a 33% restocking fee. I guess that's how they really make their money - deliver things that are unsatisfactory and then charging thousands to return the items, then reselling all over again. Bassett Rockville will never get my business ever again. Don't go there.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bassett Furniture Direct?

Original review: July 8, 2012

I bought a bedroom set from Bassett Furniture. During delivery, one of the delivery guys asked if he could use the bathroom. I told him no. There's a Wawa down the street, and he should go there. I saw him walk out, while the other two guys finished putting together the railings. I went outside and caught the guy taking a ** in the rose bushes.

Original review: July 7, 2012

Beware of Bassett. Same as many of the others, their 30-day guarantee means nothing. If it doesn't come in 30 days, they always have an excuse. I ordered almost $10,000 worth of furniture. Two furniture pieces were incorrect. The top and the bottom were exactly the opposite of what I ordered. Where there were supposed to be cabinet doors, there was a drawer. Where there was supposed to be a drawer, there was a cabinet with doors. There were major mistakes on each piece. Also, beware of believing that the color of the wood in the showrooms is close to what you will get. My order was not even close to the showroom piece. That makes four things wrong with each piece.

I am totally unhappy and angry over their inability to satisfy me. Given what one person said about the quality of the rug, I am fearful about the quality of the rug I am to receive - 2 months late by the way. These people just want to sell their stuff and not satisfy the customer.

Original review: June 25, 2012

I purchased a 7-piece custom sectional from Bassett for just under $8,000. One piece of that sectional has consistently failed, the foot rest part of the recliner, as well as the back and seat cushions. The piece has been taken away for repairs on two different occasions. After the third collapse of the seat cushion, I was coerced into splitting the cost of an upgraded custom cushion, which by the way doesn't feel any different than any of the others because their service representative told me that Bassett would charge me for the full cost of his trip (125 miles to my house and back because they don't service anyone in this area) and if I refuse, I would have to fix it on my own or pay the whole amount if he left and I disputed the cost. I am so sorry that I bought Bassett. I thought they had a sterling reputation for quality. I am very disappointed.

Original review: May 19, 2012

We purchase a 100% pure wool rug from Bassett in February 2012. After waiting four months for delivery, the rug was delivered and laid down on our hard wood floors. We loved the color, but the fibers had an unusual order, such as, dye color. We vacuumed it several times and the fibers come up in the canister by the millions. The 18 x 10 wool carpet also had a chocolate weave through it and 50% of those complete fibers have been pulled out on the sweeping. I sent Bassett photos of the problem and they agreed that it was most satisfactory and that they would order a replacement. I told them that I had thought that the new one would be much the same and when it came in 3 months later - poof, same quality. They never even brought it out.

I was lucky to find another one of their carpets that will work and I am awaiting the installation. I am very satisfied with the beautiful table, the 4 chairs and bench, and the chair and lamp that we have ordered. In closing, it is so nice to buy quality wood furniture from the same store and be able to design your own for the space you have.

Original review: May 17, 2012

I ordered a custom dining table and 4 chairs. I waited 6 weeks for the delivery and got the table and chair delivered. When I took the leaf out of table, the two sides did not go together (one higher than the other) and a portion of the table was a totally different color. I understand wood tones and slight variation but it looks like a 1/4 of the table was glued to the other portions. I also have one chair back that had marks on each side, like something had been attached there while staining the wood (not wood variation). I called their customer service and first wanted to send a tech out to move the mechanisms. It was not a mechanism issue, the table was not made correctly.

I sent photos of the table and chairs and they finally agreed that it was not a tech issue. They will reorder table top and chair back, but it will take 6 weeks, really! Your error and you should put a rush on it. I called to check the status of the table top. It has been there 3 weeks, chair back missing, finally located and they told me in was in production, it takes quite a lot of process for staining, really a chair back takes more time than a table with a leaf. It has been one excuse after another. Now, not getting call back regarding if my chair back came in since I was told on May 1st back in transit and it will take 10 days. Bassett has lousy follow through for the price they charge and the quality of furniture made in the USA is poor, where is the pride for workmanship.

Next I call corporate. They took my money and have enjoyed having it in their account. I have yet to receive a quality table and chair. I will not recommend you nor will I shop with you again and pay a high price for lousy service and furniture. I’m still waiting.

Original review: April 27, 2012

Do not order custom furniture from Bassett. Like so many others that have posted on this website, I too have been utterly disappointed by Bassett's inability to deliver on their commitments.

My wife and I ordered $5,600 of custom furniture (2 chairs, rug, ottoman) that was supposed to be delivered within 30 days per Bassett's advertising campaign. Three days before the scheduled delivery, we hadn't received the phone call to schedule the delivery per their paperwork. So we called Bassett. At that point, we were told they would not meet the 30-day deadline. What's strange though is that when we spoke to the store manager to complain about the delivery and the lack of information until we called, the manager repeatedly told us that other companies can't deliver in 30 days so we should be happy that Bassett would only be "a few weeks late."

I found it surprising that we had to explain that we ordered furniture from Bassett because of their advertising campaign commitment of custom furniture within 30 days and that I don't care about what other companies can or cannot do. I care about what I paid Bassett to do based upon when they committed to delivering the products. My comments fell on deaf ears with the manager.

The scheduled delivery has since slipped farther and farther from the original date. Now, it will be over 70 days from the original order, paced by fabric that is apparently being shipped in from another galaxy. Only after we made our order did I find the comments on this website regarding Bassett's routinely demonstrated poor performance. I wish I had seen these sooner, and based on these reviews, I am not anticipating a quality product once it does arrive.

Original review: April 20, 2012

My "leather" recliners started peeling after 1 year of owning these chairs. I had bought the warranty that I was told would cover "everything", but no. It did not cover this. They said if I would have punched a hole in the chair, then it would be covered, but not if the fabric is peeling. The down feathers in my couch also started lumping within a year. Now, it looks terrible. Their warranty company (outside company that you cannot call) is a joke. You have to request an application, submit the application and pictures within ten days then wait for a letter in the mail, only to have them deny you.

The customer service at Bassett is worse! The manager Derek ** told me that I should have read the fine print of the warranty and not listened to the lady that sold me the warranty saying that it covered everything including the leather! He should not be in customer service. I would expect this from a company that sold crappy furniture at cheap prices, but I paid $7,000 for a couch and two recliners. Run! Do not buy from Bassett! Go to Gallery Furniture!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2012

I bought two sets of beds from Bassett Furniture. One of them is a floor model, including a queen bed, a dresser and a mirror. I picked up the mirror. A lady who helped us said, others would be delivered to us the next business day. The form I signed stated that it would be delivered within 7 days. A week later, nobody delivered or contacted us. I went to the store and it was still on the floor showing to the public. I found some scratches on them, which were new to me. I asked to cancel this order and they refused. I wanted to return the mirror I already picked up. They said, "You picked it up, its yours".

The other set I bought was a king size bed. I bought it because I liked the model they had in the store. I asked Melanie if they have a king size bed in stock, she said they did. So I paid for a king size bed, expecting I would receive it in 7 days. I did not receive anything 10 days later. They said it's not arrived in the warehouse yet. I asked to cancel the order.

They said it was ordered just for me and it' could not be canceled. But I did not ask for a special order. I just bought something in stock as they said. And I'm not sure where they stock it other than their warehouse. I would not have bought it if they told me it was not in stock. I believe they used misleading language to talk me into buying their products. And later, they said we misunderstood this and that I'm not happy with the experience with them. I never had this feeling with any other stores that I'm deceived.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2012

I purchased a John Elway sectional from Bassett Furniture in Nanuet, NY. I was told by the salesperson it was the top of the line, with our guaranty of satisfaction backed by Bassett Furniture's customer service. They said that if anything is wrong, to contact our site's customer service person for quick resolution. 1 end unit of the sectional, after 3 months of use, the foam padding gave out the other end section was fine, along with all the other sections. I had to leave 8 voice mail messages, then finally got the person's email address. She responded that the foam padding is not covered. I called Bassett Furniture and they gave the same answer. I tried calling John Elway's corporate division. It is a great website, if you want to bow down and see the great story of the great football hero (now corporate greed specialist), but no one will contact you back. Bassett's quality claim is a lie, and so is John Elway's. Do not buy from either of them. All I want is the 1 section fixed.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2012

After four years of normal use and proper care, Bassett won't stand behind their product. They are willing to make the quick buck versus service their customers. Local store management, who knew otherwise, suggested I contact the warranty company and indicated that I’d only recently noticed the problem. Helpful? Dishonest? You decide. A company willing to treat its business partners without integrity is unlikely to treat customers otherwise.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2011

We purchased a Hudson Sofa and Love Seat in May 2009 from Bassett Furniture in Arlington, TX with the understanding that it was made with "leather" material as the name and description state on their website and in their advertising. After a couple of years, the surface of the sofa began to peel off in places. After turning in a claim under a Guardsman Elite Protection Plan, which we purchased through Bassett. At the time of the furniture purchase, we were told that the coverage didn't apply because it wasn't due to a damage incident.

After having a leather repair service company (ColorGlo) assess and repair the issue, we were told that the material is actually inferior quality "bonded leather" with such a small percentage of actual leather that it wouldn't even be considered a leather product. He also stated that the issue we encountered would likely continue to occur and that he couldn't guarantee the repair due to the quality of the original material. Needless to say, we were not happy about this and complained to Bassett. Their best offer of resolution was a $250 in-store credit, which I feel is totally unacceptable.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2011

I purchased bedroom and living room wood furniture, and the quality is very poor. The customer service from my local store is fantastic. All, but one piece of the seven pieces I purchased, had defects (damaged, incorrectly finished, use of damaged wood veneer, or drawers that are not well aligned so they rub on the other wood). I cant recommend Basset for any furniture purchase. They received two stars instead of none, for the customer service.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2011

I bought a leather chair and couch together from Bassett Furniture Direct. We were told it will take 4-6 weeks (8 at most) for the delivery. Thirteen weeks and several calls later, we still don't have them. The manager of Dallas store said, we were informed the leather takes 2-3 months but we were not told of that. He also said we were given a 25% discount at point of sale and he could only give us an extra 5% off. We were never told we received a 25% sales price and fully believed we were paying full price. When my husband emailed the saleswoman, she claimed she never get his email. Calls were not returned as promised, and I don't know how many times we heard, "it is being shipped and will be in the warehouse on Tuesday". It hasn't happened. We are frustrated and would cancel on principal, but they've got that "non refundable clause" in the initial contract.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2011

We purchased a sectional that upon setup and delivery, immediately had loose parts. The frame of one of the pieces was wobbly, sat unevenly and was unstable. We followed "Basset Procedures" by placing a service call, had to meet a technician who took notes and said that they would return after review. This scenario was repeated at least seven times within a ten-month period or less. The piece was never completely replaced, only "adjusted" or the partial frame was replaced which never lasted more than a month.

The leather on this furniture was another problem. The leather chipped away from one area and a new leather cover for the seat was installed (however, there is always the two-step procedure with substantial time away from work). The new leather portion came apart at a seam and this was "sewn" by the technician. This sectional has reclining pieces that work on a pulley/cable. One of these cables completely broke off of the unit. Again, we had a month without use of this due to waiting on repair.

Throughout all of these, we have repeatedly contacted the service department with no success. We tried contacting the store manager but never received a response/call back. It turns out that our complaint was simply sent to the service department again. To date, we are being told that our frame warranty has expired (one year) even though a new frame was installed less than a year ago. They don't consider the replacement to be under warranty. The leather is supposedly under a five-year warranty, which we paid for at purchase. Although the warranty on Motion Mechanisms are stated to be a limited lifetime warranty free of defects, all representatives that we have spoken with have basically said that we are out of luck. We have no recourse, no store credit will be issued, no exchanges, nothing. We are stuck with a $6,000.00 piece of junk. I feel that Bassett Furniture is running a scam and is taking advantage of unsuspecting customers. Do not shop at these stores!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2011

On 9/08/07, I purchased a club room recliner 7306-3 for $1263.00. Problem is, the recliner has holes coming in the leg rest. On 6/27/07, I purchased a Cappicine cobblestone couch 3431-62c, a cobblestone chair 3431-12c, a cobblestone otterman 3431-01c. All inclusive was $2,464.85. All has faded out. The couch was very bad.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2011

Please don't shop at Bassett. They lie and pass blame from person to person without ever solving any problems.

We spent over $13,000 on furniture for our new house. They voided a piece of our sectional couch and we didn't find out until delivery. They said that they didn't void anything and set up for the last piece of our couch to be delivered. After another eight weeks of waiting, they delivered the completely wrong piece. So, it's now been four months since our purchase and we not only don't have our remaining piece of sectional couch, but they still have never delivered our table pad for our dining room table. This was supposed to be delivered separately by Fed Ex and somehow Bassett cannot track down its whereabout.

Their whole store is a joke especially Peggy, their supposed customer service expert. She expertly made us wait over four months for our furniture and we are still waiting. I've filed with the BBB and called the credit card company and they've taken back funds from Bassett until delivery.

I'm sorry Bassett. No delivery, no money!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2011

Attached is the history of our attempts to get resolution of defective leather sofa and love seat, purchased from BFD. Shortly after delivery, we discovered that the surface of the leather was "chipping away", exposing the underlying connective tissue, like the loss of surface skin, following a "sun-burn" episode. BFD sent a technician to examine and without asking, put some paste dye on the worst of the focii of defects and told us we would have to call and "deal with" the customer service.

We called and were offered $200 by the assistant manager, Brian Nies. This only reinforces the notion that, this was defective merchandise. What followed was several months of delays and requests for photos of the defective leather, until the day after the one year warranty was expired, when we were told, rudely, that they would do nothing and not to waste our their time, further. This was insulting, especially by their VP Matt Huffman. We are asking that Bassett either replaces this defective sofa and love seat or refund, fully, the cost of $3724.47.

An apology, to my wife, is also in order, especially since, while we were dealing with this problem, we bought more furniture from Bassett. We thought, Bassett was "a class business". RL Strautz, MD (husband of Jeanne Z Ding)

Original review: July 26, 2011

I purchased a Teddington 13" mattress on 3/13/2008. I called Bassett sometime in April; so they can come and take a look at it because the mattress was sagging.

They came out to inspect the mattress, and said that someone would be contacting me if it was under warranty. I received a call one week after the inspection; they told me that, yes, it was under warranty, and that they would replace it.

They delivered the mattress on Saturday 7/16/2011, and when I looked at the mattress it was not of the same height of my original mattress. I contacted the store and they told me that Sue was in-charge, and that she wasn't working. I left my information to return my call.

On Tuesday, I called again. She was in the office on another line, and was holding for 15 minutes. Then I left a message for her to return my call.

No call was returned; so, I called back and they informed me that she stepped out for 15 minutes. I was so upset and mad that she couldn't get on the phone to speak with me, and find out what my complaint was.

I called again and they transferred me to her. I explained the problem. The mattress wasn't the same one that I purchased (which I do understand), but they should have informed me that it wasn't of the same height (thickness). The mattress is much firmer, and sheets where swimming on it because it was lower than the original. She said she was going to contact the manufacturer, and see if there was anything they could do.

I didn't hear back from her; so, I called and she informed me that they didn't return her call. After one week, she called to inform me that Bassett wasn't going to exchange the mattress.

I am so upset because I would have paid the difference to get the same size mattress and my not so firm mattress was plush, my son slept on it for 1 night, and woke up with a bad back pain.

I would like for Bassett to take back the mattress, and refund me the difference; so I can purchase a mattress which is the same plush and height as the original.

Original review: June 2, 2011

The customer service and delivery with this company has been unreal. I ordered and paid for a china closet on 3/20/11 from the Middletown store. I was contacted by the delivery company **** on April 25th that it would be delivered May 4. On May 3, I got a phone call from them saying, "We have some bad news. As we were loading the truck, we saw the china closet. It damaged along the whole back so we reordered it and you will have it in a week.“ On May 18th, I called and left a message at the Nanuet store since the Middletown store went out of business. No return calls although the message states they will respond within 1 business day.

This morning, June 2, I called the Nanuet store again and left a message. I called back 10 minutes later to get the delivery company’s number off the message and a nasty employee picked up. She said, "You just called like 3 times right? I am trying to check the messages and you keep calling." I stated I called only once and was calling back expecting to get the delivery company number. I said I called 3 weeks ago and never got a response. She proceeds to tell me how yes, she called me back and I told her no. I never heard backhand. She has a nasty attitude and keeps telling me yes, she called. I have a caller ID and an answering machine so I know that she never called. I got the delivery company number from her. I told her I know that she never called me and hung up.

I called the delivery company and told them that I have been waiting a month for them to deliver. The woman tells me, “Okay, where are you located?” I say Walden so she says, "How does Tuesday sound? Unreal. My furniture has been sitting there a month. They just didn't feel like driving out to me. I don't live in the woods. They had a store 20 minutes from my house. Why should I have to wait 4 months for my furniture and be treated like a fool from their employees? I will never buy from a Bassett store again. They have a nice furniture but miserable customer service.

Original review: March 4, 2011

In January 2011, I went to the Bassett store. Claudia, the sales person, waited on me. The first thing I told her was that I am looking for a sofa and loveseat that will not to exceed to 35 inches in height. We finally found one with that height. I picked a fabric from another sofa. She wrote up a sales purchase form and did not review the order with me. When the furniture came a month later, it was not the style or frame we had chosen.

The back measured 38 inches in height and it was not 35 inches, which I had specified. A friend and I went to Bassett the following day and Claudia acknowledged our conversation about the height of the furniture being only 35 inches. I had to call the store to set up an appointment to meet with a customer service representative and a salesperson. After two weeks of trying to get this resolved, I was told that I could return the furniture for a 25 percent restocking fee of $750.00, or I can return it for a 10 percent restocking fee and I purchase something else. I do not feel I should pay any return fees for their mistake.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2011

On August 7, 2010, I purchased a bedroom suite from the Southport Collection, which included the following: a double dresser (model #2869-0218), dresser, mirror (model #2869-0242), bachelor's chest (model # 2869-0254), nightstand (model #2869-0270), and queen panel (model #2869-H159), footboard (model #2869-F159), and rails (model #2869-R159). The total was $2761.21. When I purchased my furniture, they had to order it and knew that I was moving due to active duty military service and they assured me the furniture would be delivered by September 20, 2010. My mother was left with the responsibility of receiving my shipment while I was away.

My original delivery date was for Friday September 23. I had to change this date to Thursday September 22 due to military conflicts. Bassett wasn't able to deliver my items on Thursday September 22, because I was told that they didn't have all of the items in store. At which time, I was ready to cancel the order and wait until my permanent move had been completed in early December. I do not think the salesman wanted to lose the business and in an attempt to keep the sale, my furniture miraculously appeared the next day. The only requirement was that I would have to pick it up myself. This resulted in me being charged $204.53 in tax which I was not originally paying for which, believe me. is upsetting in itself.

At pickup my mother asked if it was from the floor because of the taped box and reassured that it wasn't. She was told that the furniture was from someone else's sale and they were putting the furniture together. I don't think there is anything to put together unless screwing a bunch of knobs on is putting it together? And if that's the case then why did they only do it to the damaged furniture. The store knew that I was in the military and while I would have the furniture in my possession, I would be unable to evaluate it for damage until early December when I moved into my home.

Imagine my extreme disappointment and sadness to learn that half my furniture was given to me used! There is clear evidence that the furniture was floor models due to the way things looked worn, no instructions, and the parts wrapped up in a napkin with tape! One of the wood mirror mounts was split, the dresser has scratches on it and the knobs were facing outward. Where the mirror mounts on the dresser they didn't even use the designated holes to attach it. New holes were drilled beside the original holes in the back of the dresser. The bed rails are cracked and have black scuff marks on the legs. The only pieces that were obviously brand new were the bachelor's chest and nightstand. The knobs were turned on the inside with ribbon on the outside.

I contacted the store on December 6, 2010 to let the store manager know and I took pictures and sent them to him. He said that he could repair the furniture, replace it, or refund me a percentage. I told him I wanted what I paid for and that was brand new quality furniture. The next day he called me to tell me that he is having someone from a local Bassett to come evaluate the furniture but that I should not discuss the matter with him or her. Then I got a call from the local store several days later in NV, telling me that he was sending someone out to repair the furniture. I then turned around and called the manager back in Huntsville to ask if there was a miscommunication since the man said he was going to repair the furniture and I clearly told the manager from Huntsville that I would only accept what I paid for brand new furniture, not repaired, used furniture.

Then he said that he would only repair it and that I would not be getting new furniture. I have been lied to and deceived. I have never met someone practice so unethically. I have tried to settle the matter with the store. I can only imagine how many other people they have done this to just to make money. This is outright fraud!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2010

I will never be conducting business with Bassett again. My problem with them started right after I purchased a sofa. The delivery date for my sofa was scheduled to be one month after my purchase. I waited five weeks, but I did not get any notice or update from Bassett. I finally called them to see what was going on and I was shocked to find out it had been ready to be shipped for some time already and it was just sitting in a warehouse. Bassett clearly had no idea what was going on and only after yelling at them did they finally deliver my sofa.

My second issue with Bassett occurred a few weeks after the sofa was delivered. I noticed that the sofa started to creak every time I sat on it. I called Bassett, but they were unwilling to exchange the sofa because after five days of owning the couch, any problem that occurs is not Bassett's problem anymore. They then told me that I had to contact their warranty company. Two weeks later, a service agent came to my house for less than five minutes because he knew exactly what was wrong with the couch and he said that he would send the invoice and estimate to the warranty company.

As of now, it has been three weeks since the service agent came to my house and I have not heard from Bassett or the warranty company. I am extremely frustrated with Bassett's lack of customer service and they simply do not care after they have taken your money. I would never do business with Bassett again and I recommend everyone else to take your money elsewhere.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2010

We purchased a couch and a leather chair on 1-6-2010. I am writing so late because the couch is so ugly I am making more cushions for it now. I have had it covered with a sheet until now because I am embarrassed for anyone to see it and I wanted to sell it. I take responsibility for our purchase. The sales woman did not listen to anything I said. I gave her the exact measurements I needed. I just assumed it would be close (huge mistake on my part). When I got home, I looked at my other couch and the picture--and the one 'I' ordered was a whole lot smaller. I went back and told them so they showed me more. I finally gave up and ordered another. The cushions were much smaller. Then, came the fabric choice.

I told her that I needed something to go with oriental rugs (I had a picture). I couldn't find much but I finally gave up after she convinced me it would look great with the rugs. I was told my furniture would be here within 30 days. I told her that was very important because I wanted my old furniture out for a party. Of course, the couch came in ($100 delivery charge). I told them I didn't want the couch without the chair because I was getting rid of my old furniture. I believe it came a couple of months later. They added on extra for the type of couch, leather and fabric. By the time I was done, I could have gone somewhere else and received a much better one for at least 30% less (I checked).

Well, when the couch came, it was the ugliest thing I have ever seen. When I started to make new cushions, I noticed that the workmanship was awful--lumps, and the cushions came way over the bottom. The worse part was that it looked awful with my oriental rugs that I paid a fortune for. I will never shop at that store again and I have warned friends not to go there either.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2010

I purchased a 4-piece bedroom suite from a store going out of business. In my receipt it shows 3 of the pieces to be floor models and when I questioned my sales person Jason, he assured me the warranty would still apply out of their store in Richmond. Upon delivery, which came in stages of weeks, the mirror was scratched so they sent someone to replace the glass. Three months after purchase, the dresser top starting detaching from the bottom and the footboard starting detaching from the bed frame.

I called the finance company and asked for the Basset warranty dept. and they gave me a phone number. I called, opened a dispute and it went on for several months. I provided everything they asked for. They sent a letter saying I needed to contact the manufacturer which is who I thought they sent me to. After much run around, I googled Basset in Richmond myself and found the number for Shannon ** who informed me floor models are sold as is. I argued that point and asked to speak to my salesperson. He is no longer with the company nor is his supervisor. She asked me to send pictures which I did and she still came back and said she could not do anything.

So now I am left with a choice, finish paying for inferior furniture or not pay and end up with a collection on my credit report. I cannot believe the lies that were told in order to sell furniture. I will never again buy a thing from Bassett Furniture.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2010

I purchased a Sealy mattress in 2007. I've been battling to get a new mattress every year due to every mattress I keep getting develops a large 4-inch deep indent. Also, the side of the mattress bulges out the side at 2 inches. With time, the mattress itself starts to have indents in it resulting in severe back pain. The indents get about 4-inch deep. Their policy is to just keep giving you a new mattress but the same exact one, unless you pay more money to upgrade. There is no such thing as a refund with this company, so every other year if not every year, I'm getting a new mattress.

Bassett Furniture Direct Company Information