2. Homeowners
  3. Furniture Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.39/5
Based on 2,393 ratings submitted in the last year

Ashley Furniture Reviews

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

I am a big fan of your company and for the most part, have had great interactions with your representatives. I purchased several items through your Milpitas store and I will continue to be a loyal customer because of Sohndre ** from your customer care team. I have been sleeping poorly since my headboard fell apart. The bottom of the furniture complete collapse and parts of it snapped. I am lucky that so far no one has gotten hurt. I have been trying to resolve the issue for the past month by calling into your customer service line.

We purchased the headboard about mid-December, it has only been a month or so before the item complete broke apart and collapsed. I have been given the run around by 3 different representatives, one whom did actually lie to me several times over the phone. I honestly was about to give up on your company and share in detail my experience with the representatives and I have not had a company just completely lie straight to my face before. However, I thought I would give it one more try. I am so glad that I did! I was so lucky Sohndre ** was the one to answer my call.

She was very understanding, patient, and went above and beyond to assist me. She of course, had to look into the case and review the pictures for herself, came to a determination and reached out to make sure that I would not receive a bounce back message and have my case auto-close once again. On top of that, she did more research and reached out to the parts department to assist me with a resolution!!! AMAZING customer service!!! Not only did she hear my issue, she made sure to do her job, and then she reached out to different departments of your company to ensure that my case would be handled correctly! All the meanwhile, she thanked me for my patience and understanding!!

I was completely blown away because this is NOT what I have experienced before! Thank you Sohndre **, because of your hard work and dedication to assist your customers the right way, I will hopefully continue to be a loyal customer. My order is now pending review to see if they will approve the orders, so that I CAN PUT the parts together and FIX my bed finally!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

My husband and I went to the Baton Rouge location to look at the mattresses. We were greeted by Nicholas once we were in that department. He was very professional and knowledgeable about every brand: from the memory foams and pillow tops to the coils/foam on the hybrids. We were telling him our preferences and what we currently were sleeping on. He told us about all the various mattresses available and explained what they were made of (foam/coils/etc.) and what they do for your body. He was so knowledgeable and friendly that I knew in my heart I wanted to BUY my mattress from HIM on that day! He never once pressured us into buying!

His goal was to explain to us all about the mattresses we were inquiring about. He was also intuitive to figure out that my husband and I did not like the SAME mattresses. He then went a step further to explain that we could actually buy two different TWIN XL mattresses to make a KING size mattress. He then made sure to check the inventory on the particular ones we were looking at to make sure they did come in the XL size. He was so awesome -- I believe he "saved" my marriage by explaining to us that we could SPLIT the bed!! Nicholas is truly a Miracle Worker!! So, if you need a mattress - please go to the new Baton Rouge, LA location and request NICHOLAS **!! YOU WILL HAVE A PLEASANT EXPERIENCE!!

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

I bought $1,455 worth of furniture from Ashley. After going online to look for the dimensions I noticed that the total cost for the same product on the site was $1,070 (-$385) less than I just paid in the store. I called back to the store and they matched my price after a bit of discussion. Based on the 100% terms on my receipt I would've just canceled if they didn't. It's odd how the online store could undercut the stores this way. That's just bad business. Overall I'm happy they matched so I didn't have to order it again online. If I ordered online one thing I liked was they offered 18 mo financing where the store would only do 12 or 24, and the multi-year would have a lesser discount % so I would've paid even more. Not sure if they were fleecing me straight up, or if it was some sort of computer issue. The rep 'refreshed' the inventory data right before we ordered...

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

If you're in a brick and mortar Ashley Furniture store shopping, make sure you get the stock number and check the online price at www.ashleyfurniture.com before you buy; the prices may not match. I was fortunate enough to have a store with a general manager/owner good enough to refund me the full price which they could not match and also did not hit me with the 15% restocking fee, but your mileage may vary.

To be clear, I'm not talking about a couple bucks either. In my, possibly unique case, the increase from online to brick and mortar was just over 52% more before tax and excluding the local delivery charge. Contextually, that's $320.99 + tax with free shipping online vs. $489.99 + tax + $50 local delivery charge in the store. In general, like Ashley Furniture stores and because my local store owner was so fair, they have certainly earned my future business. I make this review to hopefully stop someone else from having to make unnecessary additional trips to a local furniture store like I did.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

My dresser & chest arrived and it wasn't perfect. The drawers were put in incorrectly, one track didn't roll smoothly & there seemed to be some kind of small split in the bottom right hand corner. But I'm impressed. I called them expecting a hassle about my overall unhappiness with the condition of my dresser & chest. They had someone call me back within 2 days and set up to bring me a new dresser & chest.

Second set showed up & the chest on the second delivery was worse than the first one. The entire top was moving & shifting. The delivery guy set it down & realized that screws were not put down tightly. He grabbed a drill and screwed them down, then realized the back end was lifting up we then realized it was missing 2 screws in the back as well. So they took that one back as well. Someone called me maybe an hour after the delivery & apologized and said they will bring another one. Luckily I work from home so it hasn't been too bad of an inconvenience. The worst part has been putting in & removing my clothes time & again. My husband gave up and just left his clothes in hefty sacks. So tomorrow morning I will remove my clothes again & pray that the 3rd time will be a charm.

All in all, I am impressed that they have gone out of their way to make it right and most of the people I have spoken to have been helpful & friendly. I would definitely buy from them again even with all the delivery problems. I want to say with each delivery they did show up on time, each time the delivery guys were great & the guy who sold me my furniture was awesome & got me some good deals and even an extra 12 months on my furniture financing, making my monthly payment dirt cheap and interest free for 48 months. Overall they go out of their way to make sure the customer is happy, so I'm Impressed with the customer service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ashley Furniture?

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

Nice looking furniture and large showrooms. 95 per cent of employees are great. It all goes downhill from there. Mark up prices are ridiculous so by the time you finally get their bottom price it makes you think you're getting an incredible deal. Manipulating customers must be high in sales training. Do you want to receive your furniture in a timely manner? Never happens. Even with their 6-8 week delivery timeline. I ordered 2 full rooms of furniture on Oct. 3 2019. The furniture arrived mid February 2020. I was a sold mattress, available for same day pick up in October. It began sagging in 28 days. I took a level to show sagging and presented photos. Their answer? "You bought the cheapest mattress we have.". No, I did not. A 140 lb. person should not create distinct sagging in this time period.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

If I could give ZERO stars, I would. First of all, the message "bot" is named Ashley, and if you speak to a supervisor for online purchases, their name is also "Ashley". (Pretty obvious that they are being condescending, like the customer cannot make the connection.) I took screenshots of the order form for online purchases on my mobile phone to prove my point because they don't listen to what you are saying.

Plus, they do not have any training in de-escalating situations, because I initially called out of concern looking for a resolution, and by the end of the call I was steaming mad with how belittling the representatives are, they argue in circles, don't listen to you as the customer, and no resolution was provided. All they kept saying was, "Well if you had any questions about delivery or shipment you should have called us." Which A) I didn't know what questions I should have had when I placed my order on the February 19, 2020. B) I was calling in right then and there when I realized there was a problem and that I had questions.

Apparently though, I should have known what questions to ask, and I should have called and asked them before placing my order--like I am psychic. I told them, in hindsight, I now know I should have asked that but at the time I placed the order (4 days ago) I didn't know I was supposed to ask that. Their response: "You should have known." I told them I wasn't an employee that was well trained on their jargon in order to know there was a difference between "direct ship" and "home ship." Or that some items are "direct ship" while others are "home-shipped."

When I placed my order, I was informed I was paying a delivery fee. When I received the confirmation page on the website after placing my order, it stated "You will be contacted to set up delivery." Nowhere on the confirmation page did it say, "you will only be contacted to set up a delivery date for the sofa and chair only, and your coffee table and end tables will be delivered by UPS, which you will not be contacted to set up a delivery date for those items."

So here I am waiting to be called by "Ashley" to discuss the delivery date of all my furniture at once (similar to how Furniture Row and American Furniture Warehouse operates, which I also ordered furniture from within the same month). However, I never received a call, so 5 days later I'm like: "Hey, what is the number to the company because I need to set up the delivery dates that I still have not been contacted for?" At which point, I decide to review my "confirmation of purchase" email.

According to "Ashley", you don't get to pick which date you want for delivery. You are informed of the day and your option is to select a time they have available. I advised that I don't close on the new home build until 2/27/2020, and that I cannot have anything delivered to the house until I close. Plus, the confirmation page doesn't state you will be informed of your delivery day, it states "You will be contacted to schedule your delivery date." At the time I placed my order, I didn't have any concerns because I was under the impression I would receive a phone call like I did with Furniture Row (which I received a phone call, text, and email from them to discuss the delivery).

"Ashley" felt the need to educate me on the fact that they are a different company. Which I replied, that I understood that, but there was no indication on the confirmation page that I should expect anything less than what Furniture Row and American Furniture Warehouse delivered. So "Ashley" stated that there should have been some further information in my confirmation email (which again, I didn't check right away because I didn't have any concerns on the 19th when I placed the order and, in addition to the confirmation page I received on the website after placing my order, telling me I would be contacted to set up a delivery date). I also pointed out that I didn't realize on the 19th when I placed the order that UPS would deliver the furniture to a newly built home that is completely vacant and drive off without confirming receipt of the delivery.

Which again, "Ashley" stated that I should have known it would be delivered by UPS because direct ship is different than home delivery. And the $149.99 I paid for home delivery was only for the sofa and chair, and that I wouldn't be contacted to set up a delivery date, that I would only receive an email telling me when my delivery date was. And that I should have called them first before placing my order and that I should be intelligent enough to understand what "Free" delivery means.

No resolution was offered, no discussion of next steps, no options of what we could do to address the issue/"misconception" on my end, etc. All I got out of the call was that "Ashley" ships some items by UPS, which is free by the way, and they charge you a premium delivery fee of $149.99 for other items; and that your delivery of furniture for an entire room is not delivered all together under the $149.99 you pay specifically for delivery.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

As soon as we walked in we were greeted by a salesman. We told him what we were looking for and he pointed us in the right direction. This is where it took a turn. We found set of fur mixture we liked but he was persistent we buy the display that was missing a glass at retail price. I told him no then he kept saying IF we order this set again he would take the glass and give it to me to complete my order but could not guarantee they would reorder the set for display. He then kept saying if he orders the set they will have a delivery fee that I would have to pay. I told him I want a complete set that I will pay the fee but he still insisted I get the furniture with a missing peice. I finally had to tell him I want the complete set. That is what I paid for full price. I want complete set of furniture.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

We ordered what we thought was a lovely bedroom set, the 5 drawer chest and a mattress. It was delivered after waiting 6 wks with almost every piece damaged, the bed frame was literally snapped in two. The 5 drawer chest was damaged in two places. The dresser that holds the mirror had wood missing from it and could be totally seen as it was in front of the dresser. The nightstand drawers did not close correctly and the same frame that was snapped the metal was bent also. I was in tears after waiting so long and having just moved into a new home, it was just awful. About 18 yrs ago I had bought an Ashley bedroom set and it was great, now the quality has went to crap. It’s really a shame because I was a loyal customer until now.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

So let's talk about what happened. I'll attempt to give you guys the Readers Digest highlights version: (Side note: if you want ALL the tea, video conversations, the notes I took throughout the process, the problems with the furniture, links to their horrible reviews, etc. check out the page I made at http://ashleyhomestorescam.wordpress.com.)

- After three months of waiting very patiently for a delayed delivery, missing parts of our furniture pieces (making what we had useless), calling over and over and over, talking to Greg the store manager multiple times to get the terrible sectional exchanged (he always apologized and promised he'd do it but just never did), talking to Jessica the office manager and a multitude of corporate guest care representatives and never getting any answers of any kind, never getting a single callback when they said they'd call...FINALLY I got fed up and requested to cancel the items we hadn't gotten and return the items that were delivered.

- I went into the store and spoke with Jessica the office manager, who told me in no uncertain terms that she'd cancel and return the items. She assured me I'd get a call no later than the next day to schedule pickup, and that all the charges on our financing account would be cleared and we wouldn't owe anything. By this point I knew that Ashley and their employees are manipulative so I recorded this conversation secretly with my cell phone sitting on the counter. (Totally legal in Arkansas, btw.) This is video 1 at the link above if you want to hear it yourself.

- As per usual, the call never came. I gave them 7 full days to call me because I'm patient and I know that corporate stuff can take a hot minute. So one week later, I called the corporate guest care line and they told me that someone wrote a note on my account saying that the day after I'd spoken to Jessica in person to do the return, someone said they'd "advised the guest" (me) that the return was not possible. I never got a phone call, text, email or anything, so this was 100% a blatant lie. I guess they thought this would make me just go away?

- So I went back into the store. Jessica the office manager acted clueless and initially said she hadn't requested the return because she had no idea that I wanted to return the items that were already in my home. Since I have the recording of our last conversation, you & I can go back and hear that she clearly knew what I was requesting and she had assured me that everything would be picked up and a full refund would be issued. There was zero room for miscommunication about this in what we talked about. By the end of our conversation she was telling me that Greg (the store manager) was the person who put the note on my account saying he'd spoken to me when he hadn't. But clearly she had put in the request for the return - despite her insistence that she had misunderstood - because somehow Greg had denied it.

- But Greg was off that day and despite having texted Jessica right back saying that I'd need to come back the next day when he was working, he wouldn't answer his phone when Jessica appeared to call him. She said the calls went straight to voicemail (as if he'd shut his phone off). And despite the fact that Jessica had freely done everything for me herself the week before without needing approval, this time she insisted that she needed Greg's approval. I had no choice but to come back the next day when Greg was working. This conversation is video 2 at the link above.

- The next day, I went to the store again and spoke with Greg. This conversation started with him acting like he didn't know who I was or what I wanted, then he said "they" (corporate) wouldn't allow him to do the return no matter what. But by this point I have spoken to corporate several times about this and they have always told me that the return is possible as long as the store manager approves it. So I stood my ground and over the course of the conversation his position changed from "we just don't do that" to "I'm sorry/this is my fault/I'll take the hit on this/I did drop the ball/you should be upset." This conversation is video 3 at the link above.

- At some point after he finally agreed to this, an acquaintance who has access to the Ashley database contacted me to see if it was Ashley furniture that I was talking about in my Facebook posts. I confirmed it was and they said they could look up my missing items and see why the company couldn't tell me if/when they would arrive. It turns out the entire bedroom set was DISCONTINUED and nobody bothered to tell me. And not only did nobody tell me (when I'm sure they could see it in their computers every time I called to inquire), Ashley's employees TRIED TO MAKE ME THINK IT WOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE TO RETURN THE HALF OF THE SET WE HAVE when there is literally no way we'll ever get the other half.

They tried to leave me stuck with useless bed rails and a footboard for a bed we'd never get the headboard for. And a useless mirror that's made to fit a dresser we'd never get. What if I hadn't been so loud about getting this taken care of? Would they EVER have told me that the set was discontinued and offered to make it right? How many people are stuck with crappy furniture or partial deliveries because they just give up?

So today they came and picked every piece up. It turns out that this "impossible" task wasn't so impossible. I'm thankful it's working out for me, but I'm still speaking out with my Wordpress page (I'll be sending it to the Attorney General, Ashley's corporate officials, the local news, etc) because there are SO MANY stories just like mine. The hundreds of stories you can read in Ashley Homestore Furniture Customer Complaints., the multiple people who have messaged me with similar stories without even knowing who I was talking about) and all their awful reviews tells me that Ashley knows they're ripping people off and they don't care. I still have to wait for the refund to come through on our financing account. I'll be staying on top of them until that happens and then GLADLY permanently cut ties with Ashley Furniture, becoming the biggest anti-Ashley advocate by telling everyone I know not to shop there.

Not sure about Ashley Furniture?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Furniture Stores for you.

Ashley Furniture expert review by ConsumerAffairs

A large selection of affordable quality designs. Shop online or in one of their 600 stores across the United States.

• High-tech fabrics: Durapella® and Duraplush™ are made from durable and stain-resistant polyester suede.

• Warranty: Limited lifetime warranty on frames, varying warranties on cushions, springs, sleeper mechanisms, leather and upholstery.

• Shipping: Standard shipping and in-home delivery options.

• Returns: Eligible items may be returned if unused and with original parts and accessories.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team