1.16/5
Based on 32 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

33 Weaver Popcorn Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 29, 2018

Extra oil or extra butter: I'm pretty certain this is the worst microwave popcorn on the planet and I should know. I've tried a lot of popcorn. Mostly oil really so maybe Weaver Popcorn should stick to loose raw kernels. I haven't had those by Weaver Popcorn but it should be difficult to make kernels taste bad.

Original review: May 27, 2018

Have not purchased this brand in a while, recently purchased a 24pk for a bonfire, upon placing 1st bag in microwave within 6 secs the microwave began sparking, after 20 secs we stopped and placed another bag in and it happened again. Tried a total of 6 bags, and every one of the bags sparked multiple times until it freaked us out and we decided to research what was in these bags. Found LOTS of reviews stating the same experience, and in a lot of cases the bags and microwaves catching fire. Will NEVER purchase this product again. My only understanding for microwaves sparking are usually connected to exposed metal, so I ask what in Gods name are used in this popcorn that would cause this... And HOW could it possible be good for our health. Purchased this product from Walmart in Bremerton WA... April 2018.

Get expert buying tips about Food Products delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I put the bag in hit popcorn button, went to bathroom, came out to what I thought microwave on fire! I yelled to bf, who opens the door and the bag was on fire actively! Then a big burn mark on plate, took it out but it had cracked! I checked exp date good! Placement good! Scares me. I'm angry.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

It is the worst popcorn I have ever purchased. Bought at Walmart also, and it says will pop 9 1/2 cups. I measured, I got about 5 cups with lots of unpopped kernels. It is tough & not tender like other brands. You are right, it has strange taste. Unfortunately I bought the 12 pack. I will never buy it again.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2016

Please be aware of this product before buying. I popped a bag of kettle popcorn at work and the microwave almost caught on fire. The bag never popped and the kernels were burnt crisp. I immediately looked for a number on the box and of course there wasn't much information. I went to their website and still could not find a customer service number to report this issue. A month later I decided to pop this popcorn again at home and the same thing happened to me at home. This time the bag and kernels caught on fire. It took one minute and 30 second for the bag to catch fire. The instructions says to pop for 1 to 2 1/2 min no longer get than 5 min. I believe my house would have been burnt If I had left it in there for a good long 5 min as the instructions says.

I will never buy this product and I will report this to Walmart distribution who sells this product which is where I bought it from. I still can't find a number for Pop Weaver. Maybe there is a reason for why they don't want to advertise their number so they can't admit their product is unsafe and defective as well. I think I will call the local news for help on how to call Pop Weaver.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Weaver Popcorn?

Original review: Oct. 23, 2016

We just bought a box of microwave Weaver Kettle Popcorn at the Dollar Tree Store to try in our new microwave. First thing I noticed was the odd, sweet taste it had. Upon looking at the label saw it contained Sucralose -- does that belong in popcorn? And it leaves a bitter after-taste on your palate too. There were a lot of old maids in the bag also. Next time I will buy a better brand at the super-market.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2016

I recently bought a box of Pop Weaver Popcorn from Walmart. I put a bag in the microwave and hit the "popcorn button". Half way through there were sparks in the microwave. I then microwave a bowl of soup and had no problem. The next day I put in a 2nd bag of popcorn and sparks started almost immediately. I then put a plate of food in the microwave and had no problem. I threw the rest of the box away. I will never ever buy this brand of popcorn again. I am on a fixed income and cannot afford to throw food away and ruin my microwave with faulty popcorn.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2016

There isn't anything hard to do but look into the cooked bag of Pop Weaver popcorn to find most of it is UNCOOKED popcorn. If Pop Weaver sells 30% of it popcorn all over the world. Maybe that's why 30% of each bag of my popcorn doesn't pop. I will also report this to the Better Business Bureau. I will send an email or letter to Stater Brother Corp, Winco Corp, Wal-mart Corporate as well. I lose money with every bag I pop, and Pop Weaver gains money with every bag I pop. Totally Unfair & bad business.

Original review: April 11, 2016

I bought 2 boxes of your popcorn. I have popped 3 bags. Each has barely popped and the ones that did pop were 1/2 burnt.

Original review: April 10, 2016

I followed all instructions correctly and I even tried a lower time, but no matter what I do the popcorn does not completely pop and it just burns. Its really disappointing considering its one of the more expensive popcorn brands.

Original review: April 6, 2016

I have popped 5 of 6 bags and everyone has burned in a minute or less. I have played with power settings, even reducing the power level to 10%. It doesn't matter. This is the worst popcorn ever. Why is this stuff still on the market? When I say burned, I mean scorched beyond edible. As soon as it starts popping, it starts burning. Again, why is this still on the market?

Original review: Jan. 2, 2016

I followed the directions and made sure I do everything right. Well I popped the first one and made my eyes water and it was burnt. I popped the second one and did the same thing but this one just filled with smoke. And I thought it was my micro but it wasn't. Coz I tried it at my friend's house. I think they should not sell it anymore because of the complaints and it is not good.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2015

I followed the instructions completely and the first two bags burned. There was even a hole burnt through the bag. The third bag I popped for only one minute and got the same results. I feel this product is dangerous and should not be on the market.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2015

I got this because I felt the name was a brand name. But it's the worst Kettle Corn I've ever had. There is no "sweet" to it. In fact, it's nothing more than bland.

Original review: July 20, 2015

This the 3rd time that a bag of popcorn from pop weaver has burnt and smoke is all over the house. I tried 6 bags and they all burnt, now tried their caramel and burnt after a minute. It ruined my microwave and going after them for a new one. They should be taken off the market. I am notifying my local TV station about this product to warn others. I cannot afford a new microwave as I am a senior citizen.

Original review: July 2, 2015

I tried 3 different bags of popcorn and they all burnt after one minute. My two year old loves popcorn and was disappointed three different times. It wasn't just like half was burnt. It was the whole thing. Disgusting. I bought a 6 pack. Would try the other three but my house is already smokey enough.

Original review: May 28, 2015

I bought last week 24 pack box of microwave popcorn. The code # on box was 4166705112. We have tried 6 bags so far & all have been unfit for human consumption. Afraid to try anymore. Certainly won't be buying anymore. When you're a retired senior citizen every cent must be put to good use.

Original review: May 11, 2015

I almost choked on a big piece of string mix in the popcorn. The popcorn should be pulled off the market. The free nest date is 09/20/2016 Pop Weaver.

Original review: March 16, 2015

Twice while making Pop Weaver popcorn, there was the smell of something electric being hot. Once while at home and once while at work. Both times the microwaves stopped popping the popcorn and no longer worked after that. Coincidence? I don't think so. I think this is a defective product either with whatever is in the bag or the bag itself. I see so many complaints about this product, why isn't anyone doing anything about this?

Original review: March 3, 2015

I have left one popcorn bag from the 22 box. After 2 minutes in the microwave, the popcorn bag broke the plate in 3 pieces. It seems that butter leaks from the bag, causing the plate to overheat. There was an oil spot from the bottom of the package on the glass that looked burnt. Trusting Pop Weaver Company, I went and bought another 22 bags box. This time I decided to put a ceramic plate under the bag. Again the bag leaked butter. The only marks this box has on it says: a Jun 06 16, 22:19. Please be careful using Pop Weaver Popcorn until the company comes with a solution and admit their product can be dangerous.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2015

Place bag in microwave and it caught fire and almost blew up microwave, tried another bag and did the same thing. Very angry and upset, this could burn someone's house down or hurt a child or an adult and severely hurt them. This definitely needs to be pursued and looked into deeper. I see possible class action here. I will be contacting my class action attorneys on this serious issue.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2015

This is a CIVIC of pakistan who unluckily purchased your product for the first time in his life. I read the full instructions and even applied helpful tips before popping my first purchase of kettle corn. To my sheer observation and attending microwave for four minutes, the first corn popped at countdown (00:02:20). Less than 20 popped. I even applied one minute cup of water before. Being angry I gave it another chance. Nothing happened!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2015

Ok we bought some pop weaver popcorn. We got home with a red box movie slammed a bag in the microwave hit popcorn and walked away. Then after microwave beeped walked over took the bag out it was almost on fire. Took it out of the house through it out the door. Tried 1 more bag stopped it in like a little more than 1 minute same problem. Googled it read about 8 reviews then saw one that made sense: cut a piece of cardboard place it in the microwave. Now put the popcorn bag on top of it and hit popcorn 1.75 ounce or 1 min 45 second on high. Perfect everytime. Google is the greatest thing. Enjoy.

Original review: April 6, 2014

The popcorn will not pop, tried all the bags. Added more time to see if that would work and started a fire in my microwave. Thank goodness I was standing there to catch it. Thinking it may be my micro, I used a neighbor's, same results. My micro was not damaged, but it makes me worry for other consumers and a house fire.

Original review: March 28, 2014

Every other bag is not popping. Although I set the same for all bags, some pops correctly, the others don't. I emailed them. I did not get a response back. It's just like am paying for something halfway. I pay for a full and only get half. Don't get me wrong. I love Pop Weaver popcorn. Just I pay for 10 bags, only 5 pop correctly.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2013

My son loves popcorn, so one day while shopping, he decided to try Pop Weaver. Seeing that it is a regular brand of popcorn, I was okay with his choice. Oh how I wish I could turn back the clock and change that decision! The first thing my son does when we get home is put a bag of Pop Weaver popcorn in the microwave. Now this microwave is top of the line, its only 5 years old and I have NEVER had a problem with it.

About 5 seconds into the popcorn cycle sparks start flying inside the microwave and I immediately pulled the door open to stop the microwave from running. At first I thought maybe my son put some foil or something in with the popcorn. Much to my dismay, I found that only the popcorn bag was in the microwave. We thought maybe there was something wrong with that particular bag, so we put a new bag in. It did the same thing. Sparks were flying! So I decided to put a bowl of soup in the microwave to see if the sparks were an issue of the microwave itself or the popcorn. The bowl of soup cooked beautifully. So, for the sake of certainty, I decided to try the Pop Weaver popcorn just one more time. Once again, sparks flew. This time, it caught on fire and ruined the microwave!

My first thought was to contact Pop Weaver. Surely a large company like that would understand my concern and rectify the situation. Boy was I wrong! Once I finally spoke to a live human being, which by the way took hours of research and being on hold, they said that I would have to email customer service. What happened to the days of voice communication? So I did as they asked. A few DAYS later, I received an email from a guy asking me to take pictures of the microwave and the damage. He said that a prepaid box would be mailed to me and that I needed to put the remainder of the unused popcorn in the box and mail it back to them so they could investigate.

Two weeks and several emails later, I finally get a response. The determination? You guessed it. There was no fault on the side of Pop Weaver. They did their investigation and found nothing wrong. Surprise, surprise! I wonder how many times they actually HAVE admitted their fault and replaced someone's ruined microwave?

In conclusion, they did offer to send me a new box of popcorn! I had to take a minute and laugh. Why would I want more of their defective popcorn? Maybe I want to ruin my new microwave as well!! I asked for a refund of the box of popcorn that I mailed back to them. That was 2 weeks ago and I never received a response. So sad! I hope Pop Weaver understands that I have shared this story with well over a hundred people already who have said that they will never use their product.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2013

I purchased a 24-pack of the extra butter Pop Weaver. It must have come from Walmart. I don't shop there often and I do not go through a lot of popcorn. I noticed that unlike the brands I had gotten in the past, this brand does not come with a piece of cardboard to set it on. I figured they have come up with better technology and don't need it anymore. I didn't think much of it until on about my 16th or so bag I hit the popcorn button on my microwave and about 1/2 way through the popping, I hear the glass rotating tray break. There was an oil spot from the bottom of the package on the glass and it broke into three pieces. As far as the other bags go, I'm sending them in to the address on the package with a letter expressing my concern. I never had issue with taste and the prior bags all popped properly but did leave oil on the tray. Lesson learned the hard way. You still need a cardboard buffer under the package or you get a broken tray.

Original review: May 11, 2013

Well, let me tell you my husband loves his popcorn every night. So this particular time that we put a bag in the microwave, pressed the popcorn button and it barely popped. I took the bag out of the microwave and discovered that only 5% of it popped and the rest was burned. So the next try, we thought we'd first open the bag like we had done in the past with other brands and pour it in and pop it in a pot. Well, this time, the whole thing burned. So we immediately went to buy a box of Orville Redenbacher and it popped beautifully in the microwave and in the pot.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2013

My wife and I have bought Pop Weaver microwavable popcorn for the past year and a half because of the price but have had several bags not opened entirely which has in turn caused burning and, in 2 recent incidents, produced fires. The first fire involving Pop Weaver Popcorn, I kind of wrote it off thinking it was my microwave which was 10 years old. It scorched the microwave and I quickly purchased a new one. That was 2 months ago. Last night, another fire was started due to what I believe to be faulty packaging from the Pop Weaver company. I will throw the remaining bags away and spend the extra money to go with popcorn made by a better company.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2012

I was happy to get a box of 24 single-bag, microwaveable popcorn from Walmart in Kingston, NY, but it is the worst popcorn ever. Shame on whoever put this on the shelves! As soon as I got home, I put a bag in the microwave and it burned. I was not surprised since Walmart is a low-quality superstore that sells cheap stuff, but it's a shame that they even put the whole story about those idiots who created the microwaveable popcorn on the box. Shame on you Walmart! I am an unhappy buyer, and I will never shop at Walmart again, for sure.

Weaver Popcorn Company Information

popweaver.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business