3.83/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

59 Smithfield Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I purchased a package of Smithfield St. Louis ribs recently and they were all fatty and full of cartilage. They were inedible. I went to the Smithfield website and emailed their customer service with my concern and pictures of the packaging, etc...everything they asked for. No reply. Nothing. That is terrible customer service to not even acknowledge my complaint. I will never purchase a Smithfield product again.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I purchase a smoke ham for Thanksgiving dinner. Needless to say it was all fatty, ruined our Thanksgiving dinner. And of course all the places are closed on Thanksgiving morning so we had to make something different, for Christmas I think I’ll go with a turkey!

Get expert buying tips about Bacon Brands delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

Few years ago this was the best bacon out there. Now it's not any better than the store brands with the price going up and the quality going down. Y'all need to define thick cut before selling your product. Very disappointed with Smithfield product. I'll be looking for another brand.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Smithfield Thick Cut bacon is very thin cut. I can't imagine what their thin cut bacon is like. Very fatty and cooks up to nothing. The flavor on the regular bacon is okay but not great. I will not waste my money again on their product.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I have purchased Smithfield products for many years and for the value the products have been very satisfactory. However, I have noticed the thick sliced bacon is not as good quality as I have bought before. The slices are just not thick. I enjoy the applewood and cherrywood variety. The maple is also extremely flavorful. My concern is that the quality is beginning to go down.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Smithfield?

Original review: July 15, 2018

I bought an $8 pork butt to make carnitas and I cut open the package to the worst smell I have ever smelled! The meat was rotten and it was a week BEFORE it expired. I will never buy their products again. Terrible terrible.

Original review: May 19, 2018

My package of bacon should have been bits and pieces! It was not even strips of bacon! It was all fat! I’m angry, and if I could, I would post photos! It’s that bad! Absolutely unacceptable! I’m tired of companies hiding their product, and everyone who buys bacon knows exactly what I am talking about. I couldn’t even use this as a topping for macaroni and cheese. Zero stars if I could!

Original review: May 8, 2018

I have no complaints against you. I tried to use a coupon at Walmart yesterday for $5 off ANY Smithfield product and the cashier tried to refuse your coupon. She said the item I was buying a Smithfield Pork Loin wasn't on the picture so she couldn't take it. I kept telling her it says ANY item and she kept refusing she wouldn't even attempt to scan it to see if it would work. I asked her to get a manager and she even refused to do that told me to get one myself. Like I told her you carry several items and there is no way you can put a picture of everything on the coupon. You might want to rethink your association with Walmart. I have been in contact with Walmart also.

Original review: April 2, 2018

Purchased the country ham that is smoked and peppered. Followed the instructions to soak for 24 hours, then cook in pot. Had a funny odor and when carved was like licking a pile of salt. Inedible. Also grainy not tender. Publix graciously refunded our purchase price. We were told 3 others had a similar experience.

Original review: March 1, 2018

It is very tasteful and the quality is excellent. The price is good and the packaging is good. The freshness there depending on the placement of the product.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

First time order for a Smithfield Country Ham for our family Christmas. Received in good shape, followed enclosed, recommended preparation by an experienced cook. One of the worst experiences in my seventy plus years of dining at home. Slices were almost deli thin, much gristle to saw through. Excessive salt, smoke flavor adequate, tough to chew by all remarks of family. Had to rely on dinner sides to finish our meal. Positively one of the worst meats we've ever experienced. I will never purchase or serve a Smithfield meat product in my home again, nor will I recommend same to any friend, lest I lose him/her as such. It's not worth my time for a return as I wouldn't ask anyone to test it for taste. Horrible.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Smithfield **formerly** produced outstanding ham (and other pork). The quality has gone down *dramatically* in the last couple years. I have been hoping maybe it was an isolated problem for the last few holidays (I had been buying 3 a year). But the one I just purchased for the Thanksgiving 2017 holiday was the permanent end of my buying anything from Smithfield Foods. The Nov 2017 Smithfield ham was the worst yet. It is difficult to convey how awful it was. Flavor, texture, aroma, everything was wrong. There were strange, irregular patches of pale, almost white meat that looked like something had soaked into those spots. There was very little flavor and what flavor this was, was not appealing. The texture was sort of mealy instead of succulent. There was very little aroma and again, unappealing.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

Smithfield Original (was) the only bacon I ever bought always tasted good! The last 6 months it’s been horrible!!! Tough chewy! Disappointed. I won’t be trying it ever again!!! I’ve heard that they had been sold! Disappointing when something is so good! Now is horrible!!!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I do not usually do reviews however, I purchased two packages of thick, Smithfield Bacon Naturally Applewood Smoked. This was not my first purchase. Even after inspecting the back of the package the bacon looked good. The first package was not as good as it had been (more fatty and even tough) but we ate it. Then when I opened the second package I was so mad because I wasn't even able to put slices in my pan! All except ONE slice was fatty and so thinly sliced they were falling apart. THIN bacon! I don't know what happened but this was NOT what my package said. My bacon was supposed to be THICK! When it came out the oven it was the most terrible looking stuff that I've ever seen.

I don't know what happened to these 2 packages of Smithfield Bacon but I think I will look for another brand of bacon. Paying ten dollars for bacon that was so fat and so thin I could see through it and to top it we couldn't even eat the second package because of the way it didn't cook up. I once bragged about Smithfield Bacon but being retired, we can't take a chance on food that we might or might not be able to eat once we can see all that we have purchased. I hope this was a bad 'lot' or something went wrong with something. I don't know. I just hope this is not the quality they are using at Smithfield Bacon now.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2016

For Thanksgiving, I wanted to make a special breakfast for my fiance and myself. This morning, he went by the grocery store to pick up the few ingredients I required. He picked up a package of Smithfield bacon, assuming from the mid range price point that it was most likely a decent product. Upon opening the package, I realized this wasn't bacon, but practically just pure fat. It was packaged in a way to look like there was some substance to it, but about 5-10% of the bacon slices were actually pork meat. The rest was just fat. I have never seen poorer quality in bacon. It went directly in the garbage. I'm surprised this is actually being sold in stores.

Original review: March 17, 2016

Applewood smoked just does it for me. Sometime I sprinkle a bit of onion and garlic powder on for a little flavor boost. I cook it on medium heat slow with the lid on, then turn up the heat at the end to crisp it up

Original review: March 17, 2016

Always available, price usually average. Purchase in bulk. Sometime available on coupon websites. Coupons.com for 1.00 off. Also store sale for 4.00 per pound.

Original review: March 17, 2016

I have found that Smithfield Bacon is usually in most of the stores that I frequent. I use a cast iron bacon press when frying, to keep the bacon from shriveling up. I don't have this problem when I microwave bacon, but to me, as infrequently as I eat it, frying just tastes better. I rarely eat bacon, for health reasons. So I buy it, even if the price is higher than other brands. I always look at the package to make sure there's not all fat.

Original review: March 17, 2016

Like the peppered and smoked - although sometimes salty. Regularly stocked item - do not have to search or contact managers. Would just pick something else - too time consuming to track down manager. No brainer how to cook bacon - in the pan med-low heat. Flip when done on one side and cook on opposite side till done - what else is there to do. Too expensive - only purchase bacon when it is on sale. Smithfield or Oscar Mayer - rarely store brand all tastes salty.

Original review: March 17, 2016

Smoked, I like the flavor. I buy mine from Sam's club. It comes with 3 in the package. I'm not an everyday eater of bacon, but whenever I get a taste for it I have it on hand. I prefer the oven. There's no flipping, it cooks evenly, not too crunchy, and a couple of minutes before removing it we sprinkle it with a little honey. Delicious! The price has risen and there's less than usual. Quality is always a choice for me as well. Groceries has risen SO MUCH over the years; so I want to make sure I'm getting the best that I can for my family.

Original review: March 17, 2016

I'm not partial to sweetened bacon but I love all the rest equally. I've never had a difficult time finding Smithfield bacon anywhere. I pan fry my bacon in a square cast iron skillet and pour off the bacon grease often. I have no special routine for frying bacon. It always tastes great no matter how I cook it. My wife would stop buying bacon when it became predominantly fatty, while I insist on a large quantity of fatty meat in my bacon.

Original review: March 17, 2016

It is available most times when I shop. It is rarely not available and that is because of the variety of other brands being sold. Baked in the oven, Fried on the stove top, Microwaved. Depending on the time I have to cook I will bake in the oven for less shrinkage. Microwave when in a hurry - not recommended (bacon becomes hard). Pan frying allows for a great aroma throughout the house. Price has a lot to do with it. I shop at the commissary and the bacon is priced reasonably for now compared to the local supermarket.

Original review: March 17, 2016

Thick cut, maple. Because it makes everything better. Harris Teeter has a great variety of delicious pig parts. That's what I call customer service. Baked in the oven. Baked on a sheet pan with a rack. Fresh ground black pepper and occasionally, a bit of a brushing with honey. Usually no need to flip.

Original review: March 17, 2016

Low sodium with great flavor, good smoke, high quality taste, easy on the wallet with loads of applications besides eating it plain. The bacon is regularly stocked at Food Lion, Weis and several other locations, but I prefer Wegmans but they do not have lower sodium. Baked in the oven. Add on a little black pepper, sometimes brown sugar, add a little love and make sure you watch it so it does not burn and turn to Cajun bacon on you. Double in price is best but high quality is worth the price, must use less. I sometimes switch to fresh bacon or pork belly at times to change it up when prices are not good.

Original review: March 17, 2016

NO special seasonings at all! Smoked is just okay, but the regular, thick sliced bacon is the best for breakfasts, lunch, and added with dinners! We've never had a problem with our store not ever having bacon in stock. When it's on sale at a really low price, we'll purchase a few packages and freeze a couple. (They're just as delicious after a couple months). Fried on the stove top. No special prepping or seasoning goes onto the bacon. We do turn/flip the slices in the pan but that's it. When turned/flipped it's just as the ends begin to curl ever so slightly, and then finish it off for about 1 minute.

We've loved Smithfield for more than 20 years! Their bacon is always meaty, and the rest of their products are close to being as delicious as their bacon! We place the strips of bacon, (usually 5 or 6 strips at a time) into the pan. NO oil or butter, simply bacon in the pan, because as the bacon fat cooks down, it will release enough liquids to cover over the slices and cook. Once you notice the ends beginning to curl, it's time to turn/flip and finish it off for another minute. For the remainder of the bacon just repeat the steps. We do this for our breakfasts and sandwiches. Baking and broiling come with different recipes.

Original review: March 17, 2016

It adds additional flavor, and can then be used in many situations. For breakfast I like smoked. A little sweet for sandwiches. I shop at BJ's, they always have it. If they didn't I would go to another store to find my brand. Take bacon out of refridge about 1 hour before frying. Also I use a baster to remove some of the fat to use later. The dripping are great for frying french toast. I shop at BJ's Wholesale club. They sell Smithfield bacon in a three # package. I love BLT's and I fry at least 2 #s of bacon. If I'm going to get messy I doing a lot. I save the cooked bacon in the refridge in foil. I will add it to my salads or anything I have cooked to add a little kick.

Original review: March 17, 2016

Smoke, just the way I like it. Have the pan hot, cook till nice and crisp, flipping now and then. The only reason I bought the last bacon purchase was because I needed it for a recipe. I paid for the thick and got crap I couldn't even take apart. I bought it to Smithfield and received a coupon for my trouble. I think that there was a problem, as I never asked for anything. I just wanted them to know how dissatisfied I was. I think the price of bacon is a big ripoff. It is a luxury and not really good for anyone. I would like to know how they justify 7.00 and more for a pound of bacon when everyone blamed fuel for food prices going up.

Original review: March 17, 2016

I prefer just plain bacon. I've never cared for all the favors. I also don't care for thick sliced. Flavors do nothing for me. We also like cooking in an iron skillet on the grill to avoid smoky grease and smell in the house. I don't have a special technique other than to not overcook. Usually only buy when it's on sale. Keeps well if package isn't opened or can be frozen. Can cook a whole package and freeze what isn't immediately used.

We prefer center cut because it is leaner and has better flavor. I love bacon and wonder why we went for years in our fat phobia mode and didn't enjoy such a delicious food as bacon. Some people are now putting it on ice cream and other foods which is a bit excessive. How can you go thru life without a bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwich in the summer?

Original review: March 17, 2016

I like the applewood bacon because it has a great distinctive taste for me. I also will eat the smoked. I also like it a little thick but not too much so. I find that some supermarkets are better than others with variety and keeping things in stock. When I know I am looking for bacon I make sure I go to the store that I've never experienced a problem getting it. Fried on the stove top. Start with a cold pan. You need to regulate the heat to get your desired outcome. I start high and then turn it down. I flip the bacon several times. I don't like it overcooked. I never buy bacon if it's over $6.00. Lately I've been finding a lot of sales on bacon products. I prefer to buy Smithfield's but will buy another brand on sale. I like a thicker bacon because for me it cooks better. Thin bacon curls up too easily. I cook it well done but not overcooked, I like crispy bacon. In order to get it this way you have to turn it over several times. Do not overload your skillet.

Original review: March 17, 2016

BJs Wholesale Club always has Smithfield. I highly doubt they will change that. It is such a great deal and delicious every time we cook it. Fried on the stove top. Flipping when it is just starting to brown on low-medium heat (we have a gas range), then making sure there is a plate with paper towels on it to soak up the grease. We sometimes fry our eggs in the leftover grease in the pan.

We buy from BJs Wholesale Club, so it's $9.99 for three pounds versus almost $4 for a pound at our local grocery store. If BJs got as expensive as our grocery store, then we would find a substitute, like sausage. We prefer bacon with not a lot of fat on it, but not too little either. We also use it more than just for breakfast or BLTs. We do bacon-wrapped tater tots, bacon-wrapped mozzarella sticks, bacon-wrapped pork pieces with jalapeno - use your imagination!

Smithfield expert review by Jim Angelus

Smithfield is a well-established pork brand committed to quality and flavor. Founded in 1936, the company only makes pork, and offers everything from hand-trimmed bacon to slow-cooked hams.

• Low sodium and low fat choices: To meet dietary needs of certain customers, Smithfield offers low-sodium and low-fat bacon.

• Flavor-packed bacon: From peppered bacon to cherrywood bacon, powerful flavor options abound.

• Traceability: Smithfield tracks movement of its pork products from the time the pig is born until it hits the table, ensuring a safe and tasty food product.

• Committed to the environment: Smithfield has achieved International Organization for Standardizations environmental certification.

• Bacon bits products: Those who like a little bacon on their salad have this convenient option.

• Best for: Classic bacon eaters, those who like bacon as a topping and those who want healthier bacon options.

Profile picture of Jim Angelus
Jim Angelus Bacon Contributing Editor

Jim Angelus has 25 plus years of restaurant experience, and he brings this experience to his food truck. Bacon Bacon is a place where foodies and bacon lovers generally can find mouthwatering meals in a friendly atmosphere. Jim opened his food truck in 2010. It is now a popular bay area food truck and sandwich shop, open seven days a week for breakfast and lunch. Bacon Bacon has appeared on Food Network, CNN and Discovery Network. Most important to Jim, he has a successful business that allows him participate in the industry he is most passionate about and be home in time to put dinner on his family’s table.

Smithfield Company Information