2. Shopping
  3. Bacon Brands

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.29/5

Smithfield Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Smithfield?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Smithfield?

Original review: May 11, 2020

Bought a pack of bacon from Dollar General. Got home to find out it was only half a pack of bacon. I expect a full refund or for someone to call a get this right. I'm so tired of food companies being lazy and not acing everything.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

Couldn't get my regular Wegman's thick-cut as they've gone all healthy with uncured stuff so grabbed a couple of packs of Smithfield. First thing I noticed was how 'wet' it was. Not good as this means the coin-shavers are making you pay for excess salt-water, which is heavy. I usually press on the package to see how firm it is but forgot, to my shame. :(

Next was the thickness. Is this a joke? Nope, it's about as thick as a regular cut, maybe a bit thinner. Trying to peel off a slice resulted in much stretching and tearing. It was very sticky, did they add gelatin to hold the stuff together. Finally, as expected, it shrank wonderfully so at the end of cooking it was only about half it's original size. It didn't cook too well either, steaming in all that salty, gooey liquid before finally frying in an inordinate amount of fat. Never again, I'd give it zero stars if they'd let me. :(

Get buying tips about Bacon Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

The salty content in this bone in ham was disgusting. This $22 ham was good quality meat but just inedible because of the salt. I have always bought Smithfield brand products but will consider other brands from now on.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

I purchase a Smithfield brown sugar spiral ham at our local BJ's club for our "special holiday meal". You can't see through the wrapper until you open it. It was disgusting! It was nothing but fat, barely any meat at all. It was not cheap either. I was so embarrassed to have to serve this for Christmas dinner. I will never ever again buy or trust Smithfield products again. Do yourself a favor and get ANYTHING else. It was gross. If I could have seen through the wrapper I would have never purchased this ham. Totally disgusted, and it's not like on Christmas you can run out at get something else.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

I ordered my Smithfield Ham on December 8th with delivery date of December 20th. I received a UPS tracking notice to my email stating that the ham had been delivered to a family in South Carolina. When my ham did not arrive on December 20th, I emailed and eventually spoke to someone at Smithfield Ham who stated "they were behind on shipping" and my ham would arrive on December 23rd. They never admitted that my ham had been delivered to someone else. My ham never arrived on December 23rd and I had to go out and purchase a local ham so our guests on Christmas would have a ham to eat!

I complained and someone responded from Smithfield Ham apologizing. I said I wanted a refund of my $69.99 and she said she would check with her supervisor. This not a "customer service" response. You say "I will take care of it immediately, AND We (Smithfield Ham) will send you an apology and a coupon for your next purchase." None of this happened and I have yet to see my refund credited to my account! Bad business for a big company. I hope no one else experiences the disappoint I did.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

The Smithfield company I'm talking about is the meat company by the way, this is the only business that popped up when I entered the company name so hopefully it's not for another company. For almost a month now I've been entering their daily "giveaways" on their website. Basically they "give" away prizes and money everyday: $500.00, $300.00, $400.00, $50.00, coupons etc. Of course I never win anything (never won any giveaway in my entire life for that matter even when the odds are really in my favor) and obviously I'm low key angry I don't ever win anything because I'm really in need. Live paycheck to paycheck and have to go without food some days because of lack of funds, so when I'm not working and have free time I enter giveaways hoping that I'll win because winning money would literally save my life and get me food so I'm not going hungry...

As I said I've been entering for almost a month now and I've noticed a couple of sketchy things and to be honest I honestly feel like these "giveaways" aren't legit and it's just a way for them to get free publicity and get emails (to enter you have to give them your full name, zip code and email address). First off it seems like all of the supposed winners always come from the same states, a lot of people from CA, MO and another two states I forgot, 99.9% of the time these "winners" are from one of those states, second I noticed that a lot of the names are extremely generic, a lot of repeat names and some are really weird..

Example: The other day someone "won" $300.00 and the person had a weird first name and there wasn't even a last name it was just a bunch of periods and commas (Like I said you have to enter your full name to enter. So weird...). Their location wasn't shown either, speaking of which I've seen a couple without zip codes/locations either. (Once again you have to enter your zip to enter. So weird again.)

Personally I can't stand giveaways because it's soul crushing when you don't win, when you literally put your livelihood on the line getting your hopes up just to be crushed. What makes me feel worse about them is some of the people who enter them and win, countless people out there who are well off and enter contests just for the thrill of it and don't actually NEED the money/or prize... don't believe me? Look it up. There's actually a group of women who made a type of group/club who mass enter contests/giveaways just for the thrill... so when I see other people win I'm thinking "Wow I really hope you're in need and didn't just enter for the thrill and possibly took money from someone who actually needs it." Granted everyone has the right to enter and do what they want and even if companies made them only for people in need there's no way to monitor that but it still hurts.

Bottom line is I don't trust this company or their supposed giveaways. Just way too many sketchy things going on. So if you're like me and enter because you actually are in need keep that in mind. Gotta have a strong will to keep entering everyday just to lose and see other people's names in the "winning" notification day in and day out...

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

I have purchased Cook's shank hams every major holiday for the last 15 years. Have always been proud of the quality and content of meat vs fat. UNTIL CHRISTMAS 2019... I had a 12# ham and after cooking If lucky 3 1/2 # of meat. THE REST WAS FAT, CLEAR TO THE BONE. Also, Cook's hams have never been Salty. A plus for those of us who have to watch salt intake. This ham was not Salty. The quality of the 3 1/2# of meat did not disappoint. It was moist and had great flavor. Luckily, Salmon and meatballs had to supplement Christmas dinner. Will I buy another cook's ham? At this point I'm undecided. Still suffering the embarrassment of a disappointing Christmas Dinner Ham.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

Bought this for Christmas at Kroger. It had a very odd texture to it and was tasteless. I am so disappointed. Thankfully we had other food options. I would not buy this again. I will stick with the Kentucky Legend.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

I purchased a Smithfield ham at the local market to bring to my daughters on Thanksgiving. I was really embarrassed by its poor quality and appearance. Very fatty with little flavor. Never again. Usually I go to Costco and buy the store brand spiral ham. Always delicious.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2019

Today is Thanksgiving 2019, I bought a turkey and everyone loves my ham, so I got Smithfield smoke hardwood ham, because that was the only ham they had. I usually buy Sugardale. Oh my gosh it was the first ham I ever made and I wouldn't even feed it to an animal. MY best friend reminded when I got her Smithfield awhile back and she said it was terrible, so the end of the story is I will never purchase a Smithfield product again. They are nasty! Sugardale it is!! I would not recommend Smithfield to anyone. Rating-00000000.

Smithfield author review by Jim Angelus

Smithfield is a well-established pork brand committed to quality and flavor. Founded in 1936, the company only makes pork, and offers everything from hand-trimmed bacon to slow-cooked hams.

• Low sodium and low fat choices: To meet dietary needs of certain customers, Smithfield offers low-sodium and low-fat bacon.

• Flavor-packed bacon: From peppered bacon to cherrywood bacon, powerful flavor options abound.

• Traceability: Smithfield tracks movement of its pork products from the time the pig is born until it hits the table, ensuring a safe and tasty food product.

• Committed to the environment: Smithfield has achieved International Organization for Standardizations environmental certification.

• Bacon bits products: Those who like a little bacon on their salad have this convenient option.

by Jim Angelus Bacon Contributing Editor

Jim Angelus has 25 plus years of restaurant experience, and he brings this experience to his food truck. Bacon Bacon is a place where foodies and bacon lovers generally can find mouthwatering meals in a friendly atmosphere. Jim opened his food truck in 2010. It is now a popular bay area food truck and sandwich shop, open seven days a week for breakfast and lunch. Bacon Bacon has appeared on Food Network, CNN and Discovery Network. Most important to Jim, he has a successful business that allows him participate in the industry he is most passionate about and be home in time to put dinner on his family’s table.

Smithfield Company Information