3.62/5

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Smithfield

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Smithfield Reviews

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

I bought some Smithfield bacon and fried it up… And it left a sticky, gooey, plastic-like substance in my pan which almost ruined the pan. If it’s doing that to my cookware, I hate to think what it’s doing to my insides. It may be meat-glue, or it may be some other additive for taste or preservation. I don’t know what it is, but I will never buy Smithfield bacon again.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I purchased this bacon based on price and packaging. It appeared to be a nice thick bacon. When preparing I realized after opening the package it was very thin, almost to the point of being hard to handle. Holes in the "meat" part. Flavor was nice after cooking in the oven. Overall as expected for money but when affordable I would choose a better product.

Get expert buying tips about Bacon Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

Bought this ham & couldn't see the product because the price tag was placed over the end of the ham so I couldn't tell that the ham was full of fat & gristle. If the price tag wasn't placed there & I could see what I was buying I wouldn't have bought it and I'm sure that is the reason the price tag was placed there. Won't be buying the Smithfield brand again.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

I purchased a Smithfield bone in ham for the first and last time. I am definitely not one to write reviews but that was the grossest meat as far as fat I have ever encountered in my 33 years of life. 17 dollars for maybe a half of pound of meat and pounds worth of fat and slime. The little bit of meat a family of four had to share was so salty and nasty no one could eat it. Needless to say we were veggie eaters for the night. I don't recommend this at all unless you think trying to chew a wad of fat and digging for meat is tasty. NASTY????

Original review: April 23, 2019

We purchased a Smithfield ham for our Easter dinner and when we cut into it there was a hard fiber substance all through it, a large L shape bone bone and some kind of white gooey slime. We could not even slice the thing. I sent an email to Smithfield with pictures and never received a response. Not so much as a "Sorry we ruined your Easter dinner."

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Smithfield?

Original review: April 21, 2019

Spiral ham fell apart when I took it out of the package! This is the first time this has ever happened. I had to tie the chunks, pieces and slices together before roasting it in the oven. Flavor is good, however. There was no plastic insert over the bone either, as has always been present in years before.

Original review: March 27, 2019

Smithfield bacon is very tasty however it cost more than the average bacon and in this economy although it is the better brand people tend or I should say I will buy the most cost effective brand even though I prefer Smithfield.

Original review: March 18, 2019

This is best of the best flavor. A little pricey but worth it. Love it. Either online or in the store I purchase both ways. You have got to get this bacon.

Original review: March 17, 2019

The regular bacon is cut way too thin. It cooks too fast and is inconsistent in thickness. The fat content is good - a lot of solid meat areas within the bacon and great taste, but please...a pound is a pound. More slices cut paper thin are not better. Or at least identify it as extra thin cut.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Bought this beautiful half ham hardwood smoked for Christmas dinner. Cooking instructions were well hid. Didn't see them until I happened to look under wrapping. Followed cooking instruction as listed. There was no warning on the amount of salt content on any of the wrapping. I am on a low salt diet because of heart problems. I felt there would be a little salt, but when I prepared slices on a plate for the wife and I, it was like biting into a salt block. My wife who likes a little salt could not eat it either. Put in a big pot, covered with water for two days changing water every day, which helped get rid of most of the salty taste to where you could actually taste the ham. It was a beautiful looking ham. The wife and I are retired and on SS. It took a small chunk out of our budget. Thank GOD we had other food to eat for Christmas dinner.

Smithfield expert review by Jim Angelus

Smithfield is a well-established pork brand committed to quality and flavor. Founded in 1936, the company only makes pork, and offers everything from hand-trimmed bacon to slow-cooked hams.

• Low sodium and low fat choices: To meet dietary needs of certain customers, Smithfield offers low-sodium and low-fat bacon.

• Flavor-packed bacon: From peppered bacon to cherrywood bacon, powerful flavor options abound.

• Traceability: Smithfield tracks movement of its pork products from the time the pig is born until it hits the table, ensuring a safe and tasty food product.

• Committed to the environment: Smithfield has achieved International Organization for Standardizations environmental certification.

• Bacon bits products: Those who like a little bacon on their salad have this convenient option.

• Best for: Classic bacon eaters, those who like bacon as a topping and those who want healthier bacon options.

Profile picture of Jim Angelus
      Jim Angelus Bacon Contributing Editor

Jim Angelus has 25 plus years of restaurant experience, and he brings this experience to his food truck. Bacon Bacon is a place where foodies and bacon lovers generally can find mouthwatering meals in a friendly atmosphere. Jim opened his food truck in 2010. It is now a popular bay area food truck and sandwich shop, open seven days a week for breakfast and lunch. Bacon Bacon has appeared on Food Network, CNN and Discovery Network. Most important to Jim, he has a successful business that allows him participate in the industry he is most passionate about and be home in time to put dinner on his family’s table.

Smithfield Company Information