3.40/5
Based on 35 reviews that contain star ratings

35 Schwan's Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

My husband and I started using Schwan's several months ago. We had heard they were very good and my sister used to get her frozen dinners and ice cream from them back in the 80's. The ice cream is wonderful, the delivery is on time and the driver is very pleasant. However, the salmon is very fishy and mushy. I usually cook Salmon once a week - thought we'd try Schwan's. They come individually packed and frozen. First time I baked it in the oven as directed - from frozen state. Doctored it up with spices, but oh, the taste was horrible.

Two weeks later I defrosted the salmon in the fridge. Had to paper towel all the water out of it and it was falling apart - like it's been through a blender then packed to look like salmon (I don't know). Anyway, fried it this time, put on the spices (butter, garlic, salt and pepper). Thankfully I had some good rice that hid the taste of the salmon - which again was just not good. Would not recommend the salmon. We did enjoy, however, the Shrimp.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I was going to order over $50 of stuff. When a note was left on my door, I got online signed up, put in an order, and set up a time but I refuse to give out my cash card number. I waited 2 weeks, then called the company. Waited on the phone 30 min then asked for a callback. They called me back and I thought, "Ok. Finally we might get somewhere." Told her I wanted the truck to stop, and she want to sign me up again. I told her I already did, she found my order and that I had indeed already signed up online but would not send out a driver without my cash card number... not good service or a rip off scam from the co. You decide. I called on 9/17/18.

Get expert buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

My Mother used to order from Schwan's sometimes when I was younger, so I thought I'd give it a try. I placed my order online, when the driver showed up he didn't have a third of my order on the truck and promised to bring it back in two weeks. Then, the driver pulled out these cards and other information re: "specials". Halfway through the spiel, I told him I wasn't interested in anything else. It was apparent that the drivers were trained (forced) to keep asking for more sales, because he continued in spite of my rejections - saying things like "Really? How can you turn down $2.00 off ice cream sandwiches?" I felt like I was in a new car finance office. I finally had to shut it down and told him I had to go. I canceled my account that day.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I am a first time customer with Schwann's, my order was preplaced, when the truck delivered the items half my items were not on the truck, he sold them prior to getting to my location even though I PRE ORDERED, did not offer any type of other product, still charged my card for the pre purchased order, I called customer service. She said a manager would call me in two days. They NEVER CALLED and never refunded me for the items they did not deliver, WILL NEVER USE THEM AGAIN. HORRIBLE COMPANY AND HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

They do a great job and are very friendly. I order food for my mom for special occasions, or just for fun. Their prices are reasonable, delivery reliable and she gets a special treat brought to her front door! It is a win-win!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Schwan's?

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

We've been bi-weekly, regular customers for about 20yrs, and my wife was a driver back in the 80's. I don't make these comments lightly. The company has been in a slow death spiral for the last 5yrs or better. None of the food they sell is unique anymore, most of it is available elsewhere in larger quantities, and costing less. Serving sizes have been shriveling up for some time, reaching a point where the products are just not worth the money. Meat products are priced the worst, ice cream sandwiches look like samples now.

Delivery service in our area is hit and miss at best. Current driver hasn't stopped in six weeks, no-call no-show despite pre-ordering. Had to have last items mailed to house. Supposedly they have broken down trucks but I don't believe it as the same driver services adjacent towns and I've seen him there. Customer service has been farmed out to some their party outfit and is poor. If you have a real problem, like no delivery for six weeks, there is no follow-up. Not sure who their target demographic is these days, must be folks that have lots of spare cash to spend on small amounts of food they may or may not get -- Not worth the hassle anymore, sorry.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

Love this service. Reliable and has nice quality and free shipping option. Many ice cream flavors. Easy online ordering and simple packaging. I am actually saving money buying food this way because I have less wasted food.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

This food is a little pricey but very good, the delivery man comes every two weeks and you can pay when he drops off. You can even buy directly off truck also. I order, you make, you get rewards, and can use the points on next offer.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

This is a home delivery service, and the food is on par with home cooking! It has a huge selection of entrees and the ice cream cannot be beat by anything you would purchase in a store! I've been getting this service for more years than I can count, and I don't see where I would stop ordering from them unless they closed up shop.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

The food is bland and I always ended up using my own spice or marinade blend. Also, there was a limited food selection menu in my opinion and it didn't vary much. The meat choices were not premium meats... very tough. I was always ordering the same food and finally decided Schwan's delivery service wasn't for me.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

We work non stop in the summer at our resort. We always have Schwan's food in the freezer for a "what is for dinner" go to. Sure it's packaged, but most stuff is healthier than what we'd eat otherwise. Our drivers have all been very, very good as well.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

My driver delivered my food today and all of it was covered with ice crystals. There's no way he didn't know there was a problem with this food when he pulled it from his truck so why did he give it to me? By the time I got to my freezer and saw the problem, he was long gone. One other time the item was wrong and it took them a week to make it right. Totally UNSAT for what we pay!

Original review: April 19, 2018

Called in an order on Monday, March 26, 2018, I called the 800# to order my order to be delivered for Easter. The sales rep promised me the order would be delivered by March 28, 2018 so I could have my ham in time for the weekend. On Thursday, March 28, I got an email which stated due to the overabundance of orders by order would be at least 2 to 3 business days for delivery.

I waited till Saturday and still no delivery, so I called back. I talked to a sales lady and explained the situation. She said she would have someone call me back within the hour, no one called back. So I called back and told the rep that answered the same story and that no one called back, also told the rep that I could meet any Schwan's salesman anywhere in Illinois or Missouri to get order so I could get order because I wanted the ham and items for Easter. She told me that sounds great, I will get ahold of someone and call you back. Never heard from anyone that day on anything.

On Wednesday April 4, I received a call from Schwan's to deliver my order, and I explained the story to him and told him I will never use or buy from them again for what happened over this order. He says, "I am a supervisor. I can take of this problem for you and will get back to you." I never heard back on any solution from this supervisor. On April 18th, the sales rep drop off a book at my door and wanted an order. If you call Schwan's 800 and promised to receive your order to hold up to their promise, because it does not happen and they won't get back to help you out on the problem.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I decided to start ordering from Schwan's and they changed my delivery date twice. I tried to cancel my order and couldn't. Then they told me they would drop my food off outside or with a neighbor cause I was not going to be home when they finally decided to bring it. I will not be ordering Schwan's again.

Original review: March 10, 2018

I buy every 2 weeks and most of the items I've received are not what I expected! Damn near everything is less than the serving sizes as stated! Quality is not good! I received a order of guacamole that had a hole in the packaging. When contacted no one responded!!! I just placed an order for $174.05 with 3 X's points and I received 495 ($24.75) points! That's not correct! They screw you in points! It's suppose to be a point for every dollar. So they screw you in all the way around! From serving sizes, quality, pricing and points! My recommendation is to stay away from this company! I'm about to review a order on their website for orange chicken for two but it's definitely for one and I'm posting a picture!!!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I just moved and bought a house ten miles away from my old house. I called Schwan's to have them start coming to my new address. I used to order 100 dollars plus a week and they're saying I have to order first before they will come out and they are giving me a runaround about coming out. This company is a joke. I get coupons daily in my email that I can’t even use cause they don’t come out to my house. Again this company is a JOKE and has gone downhill. Their customer service is the worst I’ve ever dealt with.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I'm a regular Schwan's customer with delivery every 2 wks. I had to skip my scheduled delivery until Jan. 17th and my delivery person was aware of this, but Schwan's is controlled by an outsourced company that does the delivery scheduling. I did place my order on 12/24 for delivery on Jan.17, 2018 (Jan.17 would be my reg. scheduled date) and received email confirmation of the order which stated delivery date Jan. 17th. which is correct. I then happened to go to Schwan's site checking to make sure I did not want to add any more to my order and I just happen to see that my pending order is Jan. 31, which is not correct. I called the CS dept. and explained that my order is to be delivered on the 17th not the 31st and she stated that she would take care of it.

I checked a day later and still stated the 31st. I called at least 4 times and all told me they would correct it and I would be having my order delivered on Jan. 17th. Then I get an email from I would guess the top Rep. that states they cannot change my order date, sorry for the inconvenience that this may have caused, if I would like to change to a later date please call the toll free number and speak to a customer care rep. My point is I was not asking them to change my order date, I just wanted the original date I was suppose to have. I was never notified that the date had changed and the only email I ever received was my order confirmation with delivery date of Jan. 17th. which is my regularly scheduled delivery date, always a Wednesday.

Schwan's does not communicate with their customers and apparently don't care if they satisfy them or not. I don't think the people working in the customer care have a clue as to what they are doing. This is not the first time this has happened, I sat one day waiting for a delivery that never arrived. I then checked my account online and saw it was to be delivered not on my regular Wed. but on Friday that week. They could send an email informing the customers that they have changed the delivery date, some may not be home. I have stayed with Schwan's because I don't get to the grocery store and the delivery drivers have always been great, it is not their fault. It is the Schwan's Corporate that hires people that are not local to do a job that someone near here should be doing.

They made me feel like I was asking for a special request when all I wanted is my order delivered when it is scheduled to be. I am very dissatisfied with the customer service and whomever does the route scheduling. My order has been scheduled since Dec. 24 for delivery on Jan. 17th and I apparently am not going to be getting it as scheduled. Bad customer service and terrible communication with customer. The only good thing about Schwan is the delivery persons, all have been very friendly and polite. I would not recommend this company unless desperate for food and homebound.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

I have a 2nd home in New Hampshire. I asked Schwan's NOT to leave notices because it signals that no one is there. This was after I came back after 8 weeks of being fine and found several notices. My friend just checked on the property after I've been gone almost 3 months. He said there were several notices on the door again. Schwan's won't stop doing this so it looks like I'm going to have to either SUE both them and the driver for trespassing or get a restraining order to get them to stop leaving notices on my door. They should have just stopped at my request. I'm in the position to have to tell them I'll seek legal action now and if they don't stop after that I'll go to court. Terrible company!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

Schwan's met expectations. If you order from Schwan's you will not be disappointed. They had a nice product line. I liked the ease of ordering, the delivery set at a certain time, and the ease of the meals provided. I also like that it saved me time when I was running a bigger farm. The drivers were always polite and knowledgeable about the product line, but I wish they had not stopped delivery in our area. I never understood why they did and I never got feedback from the company. I would still be a customer if I could order here in DE.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

This is a trusted company with a long history of good service and exceptional reputation. Customer service and support is fantastic, knowledgeable and makes suggestions that are spot on. They are dependable and save me time in the kitchen. I count on the meals to be better than promised, well packaged and delivered on time by a trusted, friendly serviceman. They provide quality products, easy serve meals liked by all ages. I am satisfied with the service and quality received from this company.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I have new item each time and delivery is on a schedule. You have to be home when they come around, so you can plan your day. I like that you know when they are coming and get the item instantly. Great comes to the door and I can pick what I want. I have told my friend and we seem to purchase the same thing or products. We like the convenience, but it is something you service to your family once in a while because of the cost, it too expensive.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

I chose Schwan's because my parents did when I was a child. It is a trusted brand that I grew up on, and the food is a great quality for a decent price. I like the different ways you can order as well as the payment methods. I like the convenience of having food delivered to my home. Not only is it easier, but I really enjoy the diverse selection of foods and desserts offered. Some can only be found with this company. The customer service is also amazing. I know when to expect my order to be delivered. But, some items are a little overpriced for the quantity you get. I would prefer more variety and possibly cheaper prices. I would have not only frozen food available, but fresh items as well as some boxed goods that make food delivery more convenient.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

Fast, reliable and they come to your place of residence at your scheduled time. This makes it so convenient and you're getting fresh and good quality product without having the hassle of going to the store, that makes me want to keep using them. The company does meet my expectations, I just wish they would give better specials for long time customers, provide better deals and were not as pricey as they are. Loyalty should be rewarded with better incentives and give something that makes a customer want to keep coming back.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

It’s easy to set up an account with Schwan's. When I first ordered with them I was a little skeptical but ordering was easy and the customer service was very good and friendly. Food is great and delicious and there’s great assortment to choose from. It's great for parties because you can shop right from your home and in large amts. The delivery is on time and it was reliable. It’s a bit pricey but you’re paying for convenience. If they would lower the prices I think their business would get even better and I would definitely order more than what I do now.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

The service is convenient and the quality of the food is great. I can order food online, set the date of delivery and know the food will taste great. My kids love being able to go to the freezer and grab a quick lunch or snack or even breakfast. Being able to have the freezer stocked for them makes a stress-free summer. I have 4 kids home during the summer plus the neighborhood kids as well. I wouldn't mind buying more than one box of something if the prices were a little lower. Some of the prices are a little high compared to the quantity you get. Either lower the prices or increase the quantity.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

They drive by my house all the time and most every town has a guy that drives by their houses. They also have a magazine you can look through to see which of their food that you would like to purchase. I like the ease of not having to cook dinner everyday and my family seems to like their food because it’s pretty good. They have a good variety to choose from but I wish they had a better selection. I also have a problem with the price that they charge their customers. The price is high. I wish that they would go down on their prices and I wish there were others like it in my area that delivered food to my house. But I would definitely recommend them to a friend.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

It is so convenient, and the food is always good. The products are always very attractive. The customer service representative is always clean, neat, and pleasantly presented. The representative always takes his time and answers all my questions, gives suggestions, and never makes me feel rushed. There is a very good selection in all categories of the food. The catalog helps you prepare for the next delivery day. It is easy to plan your meals ahead, plan your grocery list, and calculate the total cost of your order. It also gives you different ideas for what to have for your meals. But I would like a customer reward type of program and the prices could be a little better, too. The customer service representative only comes one time per week. At times they do not have all of the selections on the truck.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I selected the company after trying out their breakfast options and fell in love with it after that. Their pancakes for breakfast are to-die for! I love the options I am offered and the affordable prices. While it can get expensive, it's worth every penny! The service is fantastic and it's such a great company of people, drivers, and cooks. If I could change anything, I would love to see a faster delivery time. While I am delivered my meals on the given time, I wish I could get them just a couple days quicker in my area.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I love Schwan’s forever now ever since I was a tiny kid. My mom ordered some treats from it and everyone would gather around and be together to share the ice cream treats. Schwan’s offers delicious meals and treats and you could limit how much you eat if you order from them. The portion sizes are nice if you plan to diet or if you don't. There's all types of sizes. When I was a kid I would always get so excited when the Schwan’s car would pass by. I'd be waiting for it thinking it's going to my house.

I really had a great experience tasting food from them. The service was really nice and I liked how organized it was. However, I'd like a way to order a ton of food on a budget so I could not pay as much because the food is expensive. It could also have healthier alternatives for a rise in popularity so it could be for everyone instead of only dairy and meat problems. But I plan to order more in the near future probably for party, events, holidays, special occasions, bdays, etc. I hope Schwan’s is around more and if I were to recommend this to my friends I would.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Schwan's is a good company with great products. I really like them and the services they provide. They are very easy to do business with and they have great quality food at reasonable prices. I have them come every two weeks and I really enjoy all the food that my family has purchased and ate. They offer so many different options and they have food for all your taste cravings. They make it easy to please even the pickiest eater in your household. They also have friendly and happy drivers for your food services and you can make your own food delivery schedule and they will be there. They also go out of their way to take care of their customers’ needs and you can have them come as frequently as you have need for. Whatever you need when you need it, Schwan's will be there for you.

Schwan's Company Information