3.8/5 (312 ratings)

About Schwan's

Schwan's Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Schwan's?

Original review: Jan. 19, 2023

I have purchased from Schwan's since the 90' and honestly have not ordered fish. I decided to try the Salmon because the advertisement is Alaskan Salmon. I do not eat any seafood from China or Vietnam. The fine print says from China! I called to ask how to be refunded for not disclosing where it is from in the description when ordering. They told me I am ** and out $60.00 for 2 bags.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2022

The company uses an inferior computer software. I can't even empty my cart, and can't get help from their robot. Most items are out of stock. Some are sold in poor condition, and should be put in waste bin. Many have been sitting in their freezer too long. I'm surprised that this company even exists any more. I grew up with Schwan's. I miss the original business. I don't plan to waste any more time on them.

Get buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2022

My mother and I initially started ordering from Schwan's delivery service in March 2022 before she had a wrist operation that put her out of commission for 6 weeks. I was diagnosed with advanced stage 4 in small cell lung cancer July 2022, so we found ourselves relying more and more on Schwan's food delivery. Upon our initial several orders we received good service, always delivering as scheduled. This service remained consistently 5 star and most of the food we tried well also of high quality... Service remained good until late October \ November of 2022. First they just scheduled a "drive by" and asked if we wanted them to stop by our residence as well. At the end of the day, A support ticket was opened and 15$ credit was added to my account. Almost immediately, I received contact from them stating the account was given a credit and their sincerest apology wished.

We then placed over a 200$ order with delivery scheduled for 12/15/2022 between 3-6PM. On the date of scheduled delivery for said order no-call, no contact, so I called them again. Interesting enough... I tried to call them from my personal cell phone number however it could not get through the option 1 - 5 part. I thought to myself, you just updated your phone and it hasn't been rebooted yet. The interesting part is that no matter what, I could not get through to them on my personal cell phone. Fortunately, I also have a work phone with a different number and carrier all together. I was able to then call them from my work cell phone and he pulled up our accounts. He then said, "You do not have a delivery scheduled until the following Monday." I then told him we wanted to cancel the order and close the account, even with a then $25 credit. *** I would not recommend ANYONE placed an order with this company!*** Sincerely,

Original review: Dec. 12, 2022

I've ordered from Schwan's for 25 years or so, and it's always been hit or miss when it comes to service. But my latest experience makes it clear the company is now second-tier at best. I placed an order in early November; my order included a number of items I planned to use for Thanksgiving, and my credit card was charged. I was told my carrier would be by on the Monday prior to Thanksgiving, between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. When the carrier hadn't arrived by 7 p.m., I called Schwan's, and the rep was baffled as to why my order hadn't been delivered.

After several minutes on hold while she investigated, she told me the driver hadn't actually done his route that day. She said she had no additional information -- and no way to contact the driver or his local branch -- but she assured me that she could reschedule the delivery for Wednesday (the day before Thanksgiving) for between noon and 3 p.m. I emphasized the importance of receiving the order before the holiday.

At 4 p.m. on Wednesday, I called to ask about the delivery, and was connected with an annoyingly upbeat and chipper male who, once I explained the reason for my call, put me on hold for several minutes, only to inform me that ... guess what? -- the driver hadn't actually done his route that day, and... of course... he had no way of contacting the driver or the local branch. And gosh, he was very sorry, but that he'd be happy to reschedule the delivery for after the holidays. I was decidedly *not* upbeat and chipper, and expressed my frustration. He could say nothing other than, "I understand." I canceled the order.

The Friday following Thanksgiving, I called to ask when my credit card would be refunded. The rep assured me the order hadn't been processed, so all my credit card would show would be a "pending" charge. Not so. The card was charged the full amount of the delivery, minus two items that weren't in stock. Though she kept insisting I hadn't been charged -- "because that's not our policy" -- I offered to send her a screenshot of my credit card statement I was viewing on my computer at that moment. She said she couldn't access email images. I asked if I could speak to a supervisor or someone in billing to discuss the issue. Once again, she insisted the charge was merely a "pending charge" (nearly two weeks after I'd ordered), and that she had no way of forwarding my call. She couldn't have been any less helpful -- or any less compassionate.

The most frustrating part of all of this is how helpless Schwan's customer service is. They have no contact with drivers or local branches, they can't connect you with someone at the company who can assist you with your specific problem, and they seem to have little respect for their customers (and little pride in their company). This was my final dealings with Schwan's. I've cut them slack (lots of it) over the years, but I won't order from the company again.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2022

I made ONE purchase through Schwan's for a product I could no longer find in the grocery stores. What I bought was okay but the intrusiveness of the delivery person/salesperson was annoying as hell. He tried to pressure me during delivery to make additional purchases but I said if I was interested in doing business again I'd contact them. Within a week, I also received a phone call and txt message again pressuring me to buy. While the food was good enough to buy again, I will NOT deal with the company again. I'll bet this delivery person was a used car or insurance salesman in a previous life.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2022

Cringey business practices. Delivery driver makes random visits and bangs on the door. They set up delivery dates that you cannot cancel or change. Also they only give 1x rewards on food items now when it used to be 3x-5x. Calling their customer support is like speaking with a toddler. Getting random unsolicited text messages from the delivery driver is the best. So glad to be done with Schwan's, which by the way just got bought by "yello". Good riddance!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2022

We’ve used Schwan‘s off and on for two or three decades. Last night, I put several items in my basket. They included over $20 worth of savings. Today I went back to that basket to make the purchase and the price was $122. I called customer service expecting some help, as that tends to be the way most businesses operate. This person, while very polite, simply repeated those savings were only good yesterday and she could not do anything about it today. I understand they have time limits on things but I’ve had this happen from time to time with other companies and I don’t ever remember being told, too bad

Original review: Aug. 13, 2022

They is not a good company to buy things from cause they always keep changing their delivery date at the last minute. They change my delivery date twice. The second time they sent me a message the date of my delivery saying they couldn't delivery my items today. Don't say why or nothing. I will never in life buy nothing from this company ever again.

Original review: July 16, 2022

Initially I had great things to say about this company, really good food however recently I had a family emergency and I had to reschedule a delivery for two weeks out. I had to call two different times to customer service to finally get this accomplished. First time they didn’t seem to understand me. Second time I got an email that stated it had been rescheduled for July 27 and I verify this by logging into my account however in the middle of a funeral I was attending and it was my fault I forgot to turn off my blasted cell phone. The driver called me. Informed me he was about to make my delivery with my frozen food. To say I was pissed I was putting it mildly.

I called Schwan's the next day and then for me it was scheduled for the 27th and I told him about the driver calling me trying to make a delivery. They had no idea what I was talking about. Next day after that I get another email stating yet again it’s been rescheduled all the way up to August. I promptly called customer service very fed up to cancel my order. That’s tall no. My delivery actually is set for July 16 and it’s not possible to cancel so I had to drive insane amount of miles just to get back home and here I am sitting in waiting for this driver who still is not shown. Once I get this order if I ever do I will never order from this company again and cannot recommend anyone else do.

Original review: May 12, 2022

I live in a rural area of Northern California. I have been using Schwan's for well over a year. As far as delivery and quality go, they're excellent and easy to deal with. They just lowered their rebate program percentages, however. Being a senior and a veteran, that's disappointing.

Schwan's Company Information