3.07/5
Based on 41 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

41 Schwan's Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I submitted two orders online Dec 8 each going to different addresses. Dec 11, I noticed that one of the delivery addresses was incorrect and attempted to update. Not an easy feat to correct (unable to edit order online), made numerous phone calls on both Dec 11 and Dec 12 to request assistance. After spending an interminable amount of my time, I was transferred to a department that will only accept voicemails. I've left 2 detailed messages, still waiting on a response. Did speak with manager on duty at call center who advised unable to assist me, and needed to transfer my call to the mail order desk. Both customer service and web services are severely lacking with this company. In the future, I will be spending my money elsewhere with a company that appreciates its customers.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I placed an order, first attempt my error, re-scheduled, they canceled and rescheduled three times. They came to deliver, I wasn't home but paid for cold bags to leave order. They didn't leave but did leave a notice that I can pay for bags and cold packs and they will leave it (yes, already did that) - then I got an email that they canceled my order. I called, re-ordered and re-scheduled, they provided the date and time. Got home, no delivery, checked my email and they re-scheduled again. So this is the 4th or 5th reschedule - almost 4 weeks since I placed the order (which was for a fundraiser). They gave me phone number for local hub, I called it and it was a fax machine. Someone at the main number told me a manager will call me, we'll see. Also, when they send you an email to reschedule, they give you the date but when you call to question it, they always move the date up. If that date is available, why not give that date to begin with.

Get expert buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I just sent Schwan’s an email saying what I will say here tonight. I placed an order a month ago and my delivery date FINALLY come due, it was to be delivered tomorrow evening. Because I don’t get home from work until after 7 pm, I took the day off from work so I would be here and not miss the delivery. I realized I forgot to add our favorite pie, added that to my order and it changed my delivery date to ANOTHER MONTH off at Dec. 16th. If that order is not delivered tomorrow as it was set to be, I will never place another order again, nor will anyone I know!! This is absolutely ridiculous. That will put my order being delivered 2 months after I placed it because I had the nerve to want to add something to my order. I AM DONE!!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

We recently moved and our new neighbor had the Schwan's driver stop every two weeks and sent him over one time to see if we wanted anything. I bought a few items that day and he suggested I go online and order from now on and he would be sure to have my items. I registered yet that day and learned on your first order you receive 50% off. So I put in another order for the next delivery date but it would not take the coupon code. I called and they said since the driver had entered my information into his computer and I had bought something already, I did not qualify for the 50% off first order any more. That should have been a red flag but I ordered again because my husband liked some of their ice cream products.

I continued to have coupon problems where they would not honor them if I had already used them or if I had received them from someone else, i.e. my neighbor let me use a code she had received in the mail but since it was sent to her and not me, I was ineligible for the discount. They tell you this on the phone when you call and offer no other options for discounts! Their prices are high and most (not all) of their products are good. But if you can't use the company discounts whenever you order is this really good policy? I also have delivery problems as mentioned in other reviews. They just don't show up and there is no call or email to let you know. I've walked away from ordering from Schwan's.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

I used to live in Ely, Nevada and I always ordered your products. I just loved them. Then we moved to Las Vegas and I started ordering your products again. My husband and myself just loved the thick bacon advertised. We buy a lot of it. When we lived in Ely it was thick as advertised. Now every time I order it it gets thinner and thinner but the price keeps going up. I can't imagine what happened to it because if they use a slicer wherever they cut it it should be the same for every slice which is not the case. We love the taste of it but something is wrong here. It's almost like false advertisement. Thick is thick, not thin.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Schwan's?

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

My fiance spoke with me about ordering Schwan's because the Facebook group was making a big deal about how great they were. We set up an account and placed an order to be delivered a few days from that day. The day comes and no one shows up. No one calls or emails - just no show. We call them and they apologize and tell us they were very busy and couldn't get us in that day but would throw in a 10% discount, and scheduled us again the next day.

The next day (today) comes and again, no show. I just got off the phone with them and was transferred twice and told "Oh, the lady you spoke with yesterday must have been new, you weren't even on the schedule." What? It showed up on the website pending my delivery, I checked and double checked to make sure we would be home, again. We were confirmed. And if we weren't on the schedule, they just let our unfulfilled order float out into the abyss with no set re-schedule day for delivery without calling, cancelling, or at least letting us know?

After doing research (which didn't even take much digging), it appears this company isn't really as great as it was hyped up to be in my fiance's group. Clearly from our experience, their customer service isn't very great. We have been reading that the portions are shrinking in size, while the prices keep going up, the quality has gone down, and the driver ends up harassing them every couple of weeks when they haven't ordered. Looks like this was a blessing in disguise and we dodged a bullet! Will not be giving this place another try now, or in the future. There are other home delivery food services with better prices, quality and service.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

My husband and I started using Schwan's several months ago. We had heard they were very good and my sister used to get her frozen dinners and ice cream from them back in the 80's. The ice cream is wonderful, the delivery is on time and the driver is very pleasant. However, the salmon is very fishy and mushy. I usually cook Salmon once a week - thought we'd try Schwan's. They come individually packed and frozen. First time I baked it in the oven as directed - from frozen state. Doctored it up with spices, but oh, the taste was horrible.

Two weeks later I defrosted the salmon in the fridge. Had to paper towel all the water out of it and it was falling apart - like it's been through a blender then packed to look like salmon (I don't know). Anyway, fried it this time, put on the spices (butter, garlic, salt and pepper). Thankfully I had some good rice that hid the taste of the salmon - which again was just not good. Would not recommend the salmon. We did enjoy, however, the Shrimp.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I was going to order over $50 of stuff. When a note was left on my door, I got online signed up, put in an order, and set up a time but I refuse to give out my cash card number. I waited 2 weeks, then called the company. Waited on the phone 30 min then asked for a callback. They called me back and I thought, "Ok. Finally we might get somewhere." Told her I wanted the truck to stop, and she want to sign me up again. I told her I already did, she found my order and that I had indeed already signed up online but would not send out a driver without my cash card number... not good service or a rip off scam from the co. You decide. I called on 9/17/18.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

My Mother used to order from Schwan's sometimes when I was younger, so I thought I'd give it a try. I placed my order online, when the driver showed up he didn't have a third of my order on the truck and promised to bring it back in two weeks. Then, the driver pulled out these cards and other information re: "specials". Halfway through the spiel, I told him I wasn't interested in anything else. It was apparent that the drivers were trained (forced) to keep asking for more sales, because he continued in spite of my rejections - saying things like "Really? How can you turn down $2.00 off ice cream sandwiches?" I felt like I was in a new car finance office. I finally had to shut it down and told him I had to go. I canceled my account that day.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I am a first time customer with Schwann's, my order was preplaced, when the truck delivered the items half my items were not on the truck, he sold them prior to getting to my location even though I PRE ORDERED, did not offer any type of other product, still charged my card for the pre purchased order, I called customer service. She said a manager would call me in two days. They NEVER CALLED and never refunded me for the items they did not deliver, WILL NEVER USE THEM AGAIN. HORRIBLE COMPANY AND HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

They do a great job and are very friendly. I order food for my mom for special occasions, or just for fun. Their prices are reasonable, delivery reliable and she gets a special treat brought to her front door! It is a win-win!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

We've been bi-weekly, regular customers for about 20yrs, and my wife was a driver back in the 80's. I don't make these comments lightly. The company has been in a slow death spiral for the last 5yrs or better. None of the food they sell is unique anymore, most of it is available elsewhere in larger quantities, and costing less. Serving sizes have been shriveling up for some time, reaching a point where the products are just not worth the money. Meat products are priced the worst, ice cream sandwiches look like samples now.

Delivery service in our area is hit and miss at best. Current driver hasn't stopped in six weeks, no-call no-show despite pre-ordering. Had to have last items mailed to house. Supposedly they have broken down trucks but I don't believe it as the same driver services adjacent towns and I've seen him there. Customer service has been farmed out to some their party outfit and is poor. If you have a real problem, like no delivery for six weeks, there is no follow-up. Not sure who their target demographic is these days, must be folks that have lots of spare cash to spend on small amounts of food they may or may not get -- Not worth the hassle anymore, sorry.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

Love this service. Reliable and has nice quality and free shipping option. Many ice cream flavors. Easy online ordering and simple packaging. I am actually saving money buying food this way because I have less wasted food.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

This food is a little pricey but very good, the delivery man comes every two weeks and you can pay when he drops off. You can even buy directly off truck also. I order, you make, you get rewards, and can use the points on next offer.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

This is a home delivery service, and the food is on par with home cooking! It has a huge selection of entrees and the ice cream cannot be beat by anything you would purchase in a store! I've been getting this service for more years than I can count, and I don't see where I would stop ordering from them unless they closed up shop.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

The food is bland and I always ended up using my own spice or marinade blend. Also, there was a limited food selection menu in my opinion and it didn't vary much. The meat choices were not premium meats... very tough. I was always ordering the same food and finally decided Schwan's delivery service wasn't for me.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

We work non stop in the summer at our resort. We always have Schwan's food in the freezer for a "what is for dinner" go to. Sure it's packaged, but most stuff is healthier than what we'd eat otherwise. Our drivers have all been very, very good as well.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

My driver delivered my food today and all of it was covered with ice crystals. There's no way he didn't know there was a problem with this food when he pulled it from his truck so why did he give it to me? By the time I got to my freezer and saw the problem, he was long gone. One other time the item was wrong and it took them a week to make it right. Totally UNSAT for what we pay!

Original review: April 19, 2018

Called in an order on Monday, March 26, 2018, I called the 800# to order my order to be delivered for Easter. The sales rep promised me the order would be delivered by March 28, 2018 so I could have my ham in time for the weekend. On Thursday, March 28, I got an email which stated due to the overabundance of orders by order would be at least 2 to 3 business days for delivery.

I waited till Saturday and still no delivery, so I called back. I talked to a sales lady and explained the situation. She said she would have someone call me back within the hour, no one called back. So I called back and told the rep that answered the same story and that no one called back, also told the rep that I could meet any Schwan's salesman anywhere in Illinois or Missouri to get order so I could get order because I wanted the ham and items for Easter. She told me that sounds great, I will get ahold of someone and call you back. Never heard from anyone that day on anything.

On Wednesday April 4, I received a call from Schwan's to deliver my order, and I explained the story to him and told him I will never use or buy from them again for what happened over this order. He says, "I am a supervisor. I can take of this problem for you and will get back to you." I never heard back on any solution from this supervisor. On April 18th, the sales rep drop off a book at my door and wanted an order. If you call Schwan's 800 and promised to receive your order to hold up to their promise, because it does not happen and they won't get back to help you out on the problem.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I decided to start ordering from Schwan's and they changed my delivery date twice. I tried to cancel my order and couldn't. Then they told me they would drop my food off outside or with a neighbor cause I was not going to be home when they finally decided to bring it. I will not be ordering Schwan's again.

Original review: March 10, 2018

I buy every 2 weeks and most of the items I've received are not what I expected! Damn near everything is less than the serving sizes as stated! Quality is not good! I received a order of guacamole that had a hole in the packaging. When contacted no one responded!!! I just placed an order for $174.05 with 3 X's points and I received 495 ($24.75) points! That's not correct! They screw you in points! It's suppose to be a point for every dollar. So they screw you in all the way around! From serving sizes, quality, pricing and points! My recommendation is to stay away from this company! I'm about to review a order on their website for orange chicken for two but it's definitely for one and I'm posting a picture!!!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I just moved and bought a house ten miles away from my old house. I called Schwan's to have them start coming to my new address. I used to order 100 dollars plus a week and they're saying I have to order first before they will come out and they are giving me a runaround about coming out. This company is a joke. I get coupons daily in my email that I can’t even use cause they don’t come out to my house. Again this company is a JOKE and has gone downhill. Their customer service is the worst I’ve ever dealt with.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I'm a regular Schwan's customer with delivery every 2 wks. I had to skip my scheduled delivery until Jan. 17th and my delivery person was aware of this, but Schwan's is controlled by an outsourced company that does the delivery scheduling. I did place my order on 12/24 for delivery on Jan.17, 2018 (Jan.17 would be my reg. scheduled date) and received email confirmation of the order which stated delivery date Jan. 17th. which is correct. I then happened to go to Schwan's site checking to make sure I did not want to add any more to my order and I just happen to see that my pending order is Jan. 31, which is not correct. I called the CS dept. and explained that my order is to be delivered on the 17th not the 31st and she stated that she would take care of it.

I checked a day later and still stated the 31st. I called at least 4 times and all told me they would correct it and I would be having my order delivered on Jan. 17th. Then I get an email from I would guess the top Rep. that states they cannot change my order date, sorry for the inconvenience that this may have caused, if I would like to change to a later date please call the toll free number and speak to a customer care rep. My point is I was not asking them to change my order date, I just wanted the original date I was suppose to have. I was never notified that the date had changed and the only email I ever received was my order confirmation with delivery date of Jan. 17th. which is my regularly scheduled delivery date, always a Wednesday.

Schwan's does not communicate with their customers and apparently don't care if they satisfy them or not. I don't think the people working in the customer care have a clue as to what they are doing. This is not the first time this has happened, I sat one day waiting for a delivery that never arrived. I then checked my account online and saw it was to be delivered not on my regular Wed. but on Friday that week. They could send an email informing the customers that they have changed the delivery date, some may not be home. I have stayed with Schwan's because I don't get to the grocery store and the delivery drivers have always been great, it is not their fault. It is the Schwan's Corporate that hires people that are not local to do a job that someone near here should be doing.

They made me feel like I was asking for a special request when all I wanted is my order delivered when it is scheduled to be. I am very dissatisfied with the customer service and whomever does the route scheduling. My order has been scheduled since Dec. 24 for delivery on Jan. 17th and I apparently am not going to be getting it as scheduled. Bad customer service and terrible communication with customer. The only good thing about Schwan is the delivery persons, all have been very friendly and polite. I would not recommend this company unless desperate for food and homebound.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

I have a 2nd home in New Hampshire. I asked Schwan's NOT to leave notices because it signals that no one is there. This was after I came back after 8 weeks of being fine and found several notices. My friend just checked on the property after I've been gone almost 3 months. He said there were several notices on the door again. Schwan's won't stop doing this so it looks like I'm going to have to either SUE both them and the driver for trespassing or get a restraining order to get them to stop leaving notices on my door. They should have just stopped at my request. I'm in the position to have to tell them I'll seek legal action now and if they don't stop after that I'll go to court. Terrible company!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

Schwan's met expectations. If you order from Schwan's you will not be disappointed. They had a nice product line. I liked the ease of ordering, the delivery set at a certain time, and the ease of the meals provided. I also like that it saved me time when I was running a bigger farm. The drivers were always polite and knowledgeable about the product line, but I wish they had not stopped delivery in our area. I never understood why they did and I never got feedback from the company. I would still be a customer if I could order here in DE.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

This is a trusted company with a long history of good service and exceptional reputation. Customer service and support is fantastic, knowledgeable and makes suggestions that are spot on. They are dependable and save me time in the kitchen. I count on the meals to be better than promised, well packaged and delivered on time by a trusted, friendly serviceman. They provide quality products, easy serve meals liked by all ages. I am satisfied with the service and quality received from this company.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I have new item each time and delivery is on a schedule. You have to be home when they come around, so you can plan your day. I like that you know when they are coming and get the item instantly. Great comes to the door and I can pick what I want. I have told my friend and we seem to purchase the same thing or products. We like the convenience, but it is something you service to your family once in a while because of the cost, it too expensive.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

I chose Schwan's because my parents did when I was a child. It is a trusted brand that I grew up on, and the food is a great quality for a decent price. I like the different ways you can order as well as the payment methods. I like the convenience of having food delivered to my home. Not only is it easier, but I really enjoy the diverse selection of foods and desserts offered. Some can only be found with this company. The customer service is also amazing. I know when to expect my order to be delivered. But, some items are a little overpriced for the quantity you get. I would prefer more variety and possibly cheaper prices. I would have not only frozen food available, but fresh items as well as some boxed goods that make food delivery more convenient.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

Fast, reliable and they come to your place of residence at your scheduled time. This makes it so convenient and you're getting fresh and good quality product without having the hassle of going to the store, that makes me want to keep using them. The company does meet my expectations, I just wish they would give better specials for long time customers, provide better deals and were not as pricey as they are. Loyalty should be rewarded with better incentives and give something that makes a customer want to keep coming back.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

It’s easy to set up an account with Schwan's. When I first ordered with them I was a little skeptical but ordering was easy and the customer service was very good and friendly. Food is great and delicious and there’s great assortment to choose from. It's great for parties because you can shop right from your home and in large amts. The delivery is on time and it was reliable. It’s a bit pricey but you’re paying for convenience. If they would lower the prices I think their business would get even better and I would definitely order more than what I do now.

Schwan's Company Information