2.77/5
Based on 48 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

48 Schwan's Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Wish I could give them a negative rating. No Star! I use to get grocery delivery from Schwan's for about six months. The last two months of that time period with each order delivery I was missing items. However, I was charged for these non-delivered items. Had to call in each time to receive points instead of a refund. A few times I also would get these strange emails stating that I had just placed order in which I hadn't. Only to find that the driver was using my account to place orders for random other people in the neighborhood. Though my card wasn't charged, it was my account which I did not give permission for...

As of late I have been getting a ton of emails, calls and even just under an hour ago had the driver at my gate trying to get me to make another order. I then went to Schwan's site to close my account. Only to discover they give you no ability to close your account. So I had to change all my personal information. Schwan's is an extremely shady company. One, in which I will never do business with again.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I live in Wisconsin and yesterday (Wednesday, Jan. 30, 2019) it was -25 degrees. With wind chill it was -50. Mail was cancelled, schools, workout places, etc. My delivery day was this day. The delivery man came to my door and I was shocked. He was running around in this temperature delivering products to customers. He was told he had to work. He also was told to turn off his truck each time he gets to a house. This is unacceptable. Frostbite in those temps. can set in in less than 5 minutes. What happens if that truck doesn't start one of those times?

I felt so bad for him. He couldn't even feel his feet when he got to my house. This is ridiculous. If we can't get our mail delivered, our ice cream etc. can wait too. This leads me to believe that Schwan's doesn't care about the well being of their employees. They should be ashamed of themselves. They need to think about people first and then their delivery. I am sure customers would understand wanted to keep their employees safe versus delivering their products in dangerously cold temperatures.

Get expert buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Got an SMS saying I had a service date on 1/11/19. If I placed my order by 11 pm my order would be delivered on my service day. Being in the hospital almost a month, this was our first order. Our 8 year old son wanted to order party food. So, we placed an order. Was told delivery would be 8-11 am on 1/11/19. The order never arrived. So we called and they offered points for the inconvenience and said we were moved to 11-2. Since he really wanted this we said ok. 2 pm and no delivery. Called again, this time they said they had no driver today and offered more points if we could reschedule for the 15th. Since I had home appointments that morning and figured I can do the 11-2 that day but informed them if not here by then, we couldn't take delivery at any other time, for nobody would be available. Paying by EBT we have to be here. They noted my account and said it would be here by that time.

Well 90 minutes later the Schwan's driver shows up, we were confused. They said they had no driver. Since he was here we wanted our order, he didn't have it and no record we ordered. He offered to try to get it together but I couldn't get my 50% off coupon price. That smelled of scam. He didn't even have enough of what we ordered on his truck. We called customer service and agreed he would be back Tuesday with our order at the price we were supposed to pay minus these points offered.

Tuesday came no order was ever delivered. They kept pushing our time slot back and back. Called several times and got more points. Called the driver and he didn't have our order on his truck and said we're not getting our order 'til the 22nd. I was fuming. Wasting our time waiting and our son looking all day for his party food. 5 pm called again was told they moved us to 5-8 pm. We were the last delivery on the route. I told them this order is free 'cause I was already told if not here by 5 it would be free due to the hassle. She had no clue about that.

8 pm 1/15/19 no order. My son was in tears. We had no other time available to take an order from Schwan's. I called them again fuming and they got an ear full. They told me they had no driver that day. Really?? Then that should have been stated earlier that day, instead of wasting our time and keeping our son looking for his party food. They said, "We rescheduled you for Friday the 18th from 2-5." I told them the food ordered was for a party for our son for the 17th. He went to bed in tears. We are not available for any delivery until after the 30th. You had 2 days to deliver and can't just keep changing times 'cause you want to charge our bank card so you can deliver whenever you like.

We no longer want the order. After changing delivery times 6 times in two days we're done. Send no mail, SMS, or people to our house. We were new customers and did so based on family recommendation and this is deplorable service and smells of a scam. The only reason I kept trying with this was for my son. He went to bed in tears, so your hardly worth it. I filed a complaint with the BBB. Don't waste your time ordering from them, they have no sense of customer service!!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I ordered on their website. It wasn’t until I entered the order that it would be almost 2 weeks before I got it. The gentleman gave me a huge bag, filled to overcapacity, and a box that couldn’t fit. I wasn’t able to check things against my order until I started to put things into the freezer. I was 2 items short. I immediately called the 800. Number and reported the shortage. She said they have no contact with the driver. Yet they sent a notice that the order was delivered, and my card was then charged for a complete order, including my missing items. It’s incredulous they didn’t have contact with their drivers in today’s connected world.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

The order I received on 11-21-18 was not my order at all. I called and was told someone would call me in 2 to 3 days!!! On 11-26, someone called. I asked for a full refund. She said she would have to contact the Refunds Dept. On 11-27, someone called. Left a message. I called back on the same day. Never heard from her again. I called on 12-3. Was told a refund had been made. NO REFUND HAS APPEARED ON MY CARD AS OF 12-11. I sent an email on 12-11 asking about the status of the refund. I received an automated reply stating they would get back with me in 1 to 2 days. As of 12-19, no one has replied. The product may be good, but the customer service is the worst I have ever encountered. I will never do business with these people again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Schwan's?

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Order was supposed to be delivered today, 12/17/2018. Order didn't arrive, apparently truck broke down. No notification, email, phone call, or any type of contact was made. I called customer service to see where my shipment was, and I was told my order wouldn't be delivered until January, next time driver would do this route. I asked if there wasn't any other option, told flat out NO, I would have to wait. I cancelled the order disgruntled not having my order made 12/2/2018 could not be received before Christmas as was my intention when order was made.

Customer service was very nonchalant offering nothing to try and make it right. After the fact I see on their website UPS is actually a service offered now for 2 day shipping, but that was not even mentioned by Schwan's customer service. Poor Delivery service followed up by very poor customer service, and no communication. I'm not wanting to do business with a company that cares little about their customers. Order Confirmation – Order #: **. Sun, Dec 2, 2018 11:10 pm.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I placed an order with Schwan's and the original deliver date was suppose to be Dec 12. The driver never showed up. I was then informed the delivery would be on Dec 15, the driver never bothered to show. I have not been informed that my order will be not be delivered until Dec 26, two weeks after the original delivery date. I have a hard time believing this acceptable business practice for any company.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I submitted two orders online Dec 8 each going to different addresses. Dec 11, I noticed that one of the delivery addresses was incorrect and attempted to update. Not an easy feat to correct (unable to edit order online), made numerous phone calls on both Dec 11 and Dec 12 to request assistance. After spending an interminable amount of my time, I was transferred to a department that will only accept voicemails. I've left 2 detailed messages, still waiting on a response. Did speak with manager on duty at call center who advised unable to assist me, and needed to transfer my call to the mail order desk. Both customer service and web services are severely lacking with this company. In the future, I will be spending my money elsewhere with a company that appreciates its customers.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I placed an order, first attempt my error, re-scheduled, they canceled and rescheduled three times. They came to deliver, I wasn't home but paid for cold bags to leave order. They didn't leave but did leave a notice that I can pay for bags and cold packs and they will leave it (yes, already did that) - then I got an email that they canceled my order. I called, re-ordered and re-scheduled, they provided the date and time. Got home, no delivery, checked my email and they re-scheduled again. So this is the 4th or 5th reschedule - almost 4 weeks since I placed the order (which was for a fundraiser). They gave me phone number for local hub, I called it and it was a fax machine. Someone at the main number told me a manager will call me, we'll see. Also, when they send you an email to reschedule, they give you the date but when you call to question it, they always move the date up. If that date is available, why not give that date to begin with.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I just sent Schwan’s an email saying what I will say here tonight. I placed an order a month ago and my delivery date FINALLY come due, it was to be delivered tomorrow evening. Because I don’t get home from work until after 7 pm, I took the day off from work so I would be here and not miss the delivery. I realized I forgot to add our favorite pie, added that to my order and it changed my delivery date to ANOTHER MONTH off at Dec. 16th. If that order is not delivered tomorrow as it was set to be, I will never place another order again, nor will anyone I know!! This is absolutely ridiculous. That will put my order being delivered 2 months after I placed it because I had the nerve to want to add something to my order. I AM DONE!!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

We recently moved and our new neighbor had the Schwan's driver stop every two weeks and sent him over one time to see if we wanted anything. I bought a few items that day and he suggested I go online and order from now on and he would be sure to have my items. I registered yet that day and learned on your first order you receive 50% off. So I put in another order for the next delivery date but it would not take the coupon code. I called and they said since the driver had entered my information into his computer and I had bought something already, I did not qualify for the 50% off first order any more. That should have been a red flag but I ordered again because my husband liked some of their ice cream products.

I continued to have coupon problems where they would not honor them if I had already used them or if I had received them from someone else, i.e. my neighbor let me use a code she had received in the mail but since it was sent to her and not me, I was ineligible for the discount. They tell you this on the phone when you call and offer no other options for discounts! Their prices are high and most (not all) of their products are good. But if you can't use the company discounts whenever you order is this really good policy? I also have delivery problems as mentioned in other reviews. They just don't show up and there is no call or email to let you know. I've walked away from ordering from Schwan's.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

I used to live in Ely, Nevada and I always ordered your products. I just loved them. Then we moved to Las Vegas and I started ordering your products again. My husband and myself just loved the thick bacon advertised. We buy a lot of it. When we lived in Ely it was thick as advertised. Now every time I order it it gets thinner and thinner but the price keeps going up. I can't imagine what happened to it because if they use a slicer wherever they cut it it should be the same for every slice which is not the case. We love the taste of it but something is wrong here. It's almost like false advertisement. Thick is thick, not thin.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

My fiance spoke with me about ordering Schwan's because the Facebook group was making a big deal about how great they were. We set up an account and placed an order to be delivered a few days from that day. The day comes and no one shows up. No one calls or emails - just no show. We call them and they apologize and tell us they were very busy and couldn't get us in that day but would throw in a 10% discount, and scheduled us again the next day.

The next day (today) comes and again, no show. I just got off the phone with them and was transferred twice and told "Oh, the lady you spoke with yesterday must have been new, you weren't even on the schedule." What? It showed up on the website pending my delivery, I checked and double checked to make sure we would be home, again. We were confirmed. And if we weren't on the schedule, they just let our unfulfilled order float out into the abyss with no set re-schedule day for delivery without calling, cancelling, or at least letting us know?

After doing research (which didn't even take much digging), it appears this company isn't really as great as it was hyped up to be in my fiance's group. Clearly from our experience, their customer service isn't very great. We have been reading that the portions are shrinking in size, while the prices keep going up, the quality has gone down, and the driver ends up harassing them every couple of weeks when they haven't ordered. Looks like this was a blessing in disguise and we dodged a bullet! Will not be giving this place another try now, or in the future. There are other home delivery food services with better prices, quality and service.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

My husband and I started using Schwan's several months ago. We had heard they were very good and my sister used to get her frozen dinners and ice cream from them back in the 80's. The ice cream is wonderful, the delivery is on time and the driver is very pleasant. However, the salmon is very fishy and mushy. I usually cook Salmon once a week - thought we'd try Schwan's. They come individually packed and frozen. First time I baked it in the oven as directed - from frozen state. Doctored it up with spices, but oh, the taste was horrible.

Two weeks later I defrosted the salmon in the fridge. Had to paper towel all the water out of it and it was falling apart - like it's been through a blender then packed to look like salmon (I don't know). Anyway, fried it this time, put on the spices (butter, garlic, salt and pepper). Thankfully I had some good rice that hid the taste of the salmon - which again was just not good. Would not recommend the salmon. We did enjoy, however, the Shrimp.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I was going to order over $50 of stuff. When a note was left on my door, I got online signed up, put in an order, and set up a time but I refuse to give out my cash card number. I waited 2 weeks, then called the company. Waited on the phone 30 min then asked for a callback. They called me back and I thought, "Ok. Finally we might get somewhere." Told her I wanted the truck to stop, and she want to sign me up again. I told her I already did, she found my order and that I had indeed already signed up online but would not send out a driver without my cash card number... not good service or a rip off scam from the co. You decide. I called on 9/17/18.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

My Mother used to order from Schwan's sometimes when I was younger, so I thought I'd give it a try. I placed my order online, when the driver showed up he didn't have a third of my order on the truck and promised to bring it back in two weeks. Then, the driver pulled out these cards and other information re: "specials". Halfway through the spiel, I told him I wasn't interested in anything else. It was apparent that the drivers were trained (forced) to keep asking for more sales, because he continued in spite of my rejections - saying things like "Really? How can you turn down $2.00 off ice cream sandwiches?" I felt like I was in a new car finance office. I finally had to shut it down and told him I had to go. I canceled my account that day.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I am a first time customer with Schwann's, my order was preplaced, when the truck delivered the items half my items were not on the truck, he sold them prior to getting to my location even though I PRE ORDERED, did not offer any type of other product, still charged my card for the pre purchased order, I called customer service. She said a manager would call me in two days. They NEVER CALLED and never refunded me for the items they did not deliver, WILL NEVER USE THEM AGAIN. HORRIBLE COMPANY AND HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

They do a great job and are very friendly. I order food for my mom for special occasions, or just for fun. Their prices are reasonable, delivery reliable and she gets a special treat brought to her front door! It is a win-win!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

We've been bi-weekly, regular customers for about 20yrs, and my wife was a driver back in the 80's. I don't make these comments lightly. The company has been in a slow death spiral for the last 5yrs or better. None of the food they sell is unique anymore, most of it is available elsewhere in larger quantities, and costing less. Serving sizes have been shriveling up for some time, reaching a point where the products are just not worth the money. Meat products are priced the worst, ice cream sandwiches look like samples now.

Delivery service in our area is hit and miss at best. Current driver hasn't stopped in six weeks, no-call no-show despite pre-ordering. Had to have last items mailed to house. Supposedly they have broken down trucks but I don't believe it as the same driver services adjacent towns and I've seen him there. Customer service has been farmed out to some their party outfit and is poor. If you have a real problem, like no delivery for six weeks, there is no follow-up. Not sure who their target demographic is these days, must be folks that have lots of spare cash to spend on small amounts of food they may or may not get -- Not worth the hassle anymore, sorry.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

Love this service. Reliable and has nice quality and free shipping option. Many ice cream flavors. Easy online ordering and simple packaging. I am actually saving money buying food this way because I have less wasted food.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

This food is a little pricey but very good, the delivery man comes every two weeks and you can pay when he drops off. You can even buy directly off truck also. I order, you make, you get rewards, and can use the points on next offer.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

This is a home delivery service, and the food is on par with home cooking! It has a huge selection of entrees and the ice cream cannot be beat by anything you would purchase in a store! I've been getting this service for more years than I can count, and I don't see where I would stop ordering from them unless they closed up shop.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

The food is bland and I always ended up using my own spice or marinade blend. Also, there was a limited food selection menu in my opinion and it didn't vary much. The meat choices were not premium meats... very tough. I was always ordering the same food and finally decided Schwan's delivery service wasn't for me.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

We work non stop in the summer at our resort. We always have Schwan's food in the freezer for a "what is for dinner" go to. Sure it's packaged, but most stuff is healthier than what we'd eat otherwise. Our drivers have all been very, very good as well.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

My driver delivered my food today and all of it was covered with ice crystals. There's no way he didn't know there was a problem with this food when he pulled it from his truck so why did he give it to me? By the time I got to my freezer and saw the problem, he was long gone. One other time the item was wrong and it took them a week to make it right. Totally UNSAT for what we pay!

Original review: April 19, 2018

Called in an order on Monday, March 26, 2018, I called the 800# to order my order to be delivered for Easter. The sales rep promised me the order would be delivered by March 28, 2018 so I could have my ham in time for the weekend. On Thursday, March 28, I got an email which stated due to the overabundance of orders by order would be at least 2 to 3 business days for delivery.

I waited till Saturday and still no delivery, so I called back. I talked to a sales lady and explained the situation. She said she would have someone call me back within the hour, no one called back. So I called back and told the rep that answered the same story and that no one called back, also told the rep that I could meet any Schwan's salesman anywhere in Illinois or Missouri to get order so I could get order because I wanted the ham and items for Easter. She told me that sounds great, I will get ahold of someone and call you back. Never heard from anyone that day on anything.

On Wednesday April 4, I received a call from Schwan's to deliver my order, and I explained the story to him and told him I will never use or buy from them again for what happened over this order. He says, "I am a supervisor. I can take of this problem for you and will get back to you." I never heard back on any solution from this supervisor. On April 18th, the sales rep drop off a book at my door and wanted an order. If you call Schwan's 800 and promised to receive your order to hold up to their promise, because it does not happen and they won't get back to help you out on the problem.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I decided to start ordering from Schwan's and they changed my delivery date twice. I tried to cancel my order and couldn't. Then they told me they would drop my food off outside or with a neighbor cause I was not going to be home when they finally decided to bring it. I will not be ordering Schwan's again.

Original review: March 10, 2018

I buy every 2 weeks and most of the items I've received are not what I expected! Damn near everything is less than the serving sizes as stated! Quality is not good! I received a order of guacamole that had a hole in the packaging. When contacted no one responded!!! I just placed an order for $174.05 with 3 X's points and I received 495 ($24.75) points! That's not correct! They screw you in points! It's suppose to be a point for every dollar. So they screw you in all the way around! From serving sizes, quality, pricing and points! My recommendation is to stay away from this company! I'm about to review a order on their website for orange chicken for two but it's definitely for one and I'm posting a picture!!!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I just moved and bought a house ten miles away from my old house. I called Schwan's to have them start coming to my new address. I used to order 100 dollars plus a week and they're saying I have to order first before they will come out and they are giving me a runaround about coming out. This company is a joke. I get coupons daily in my email that I can’t even use cause they don’t come out to my house. Again this company is a JOKE and has gone downhill. Their customer service is the worst I’ve ever dealt with.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I'm a regular Schwan's customer with delivery every 2 wks. I had to skip my scheduled delivery until Jan. 17th and my delivery person was aware of this, but Schwan's is controlled by an outsourced company that does the delivery scheduling. I did place my order on 12/24 for delivery on Jan.17, 2018 (Jan.17 would be my reg. scheduled date) and received email confirmation of the order which stated delivery date Jan. 17th. which is correct. I then happened to go to Schwan's site checking to make sure I did not want to add any more to my order and I just happen to see that my pending order is Jan. 31, which is not correct. I called the CS dept. and explained that my order is to be delivered on the 17th not the 31st and she stated that she would take care of it.

I checked a day later and still stated the 31st. I called at least 4 times and all told me they would correct it and I would be having my order delivered on Jan. 17th. Then I get an email from I would guess the top Rep. that states they cannot change my order date, sorry for the inconvenience that this may have caused, if I would like to change to a later date please call the toll free number and speak to a customer care rep. My point is I was not asking them to change my order date, I just wanted the original date I was suppose to have. I was never notified that the date had changed and the only email I ever received was my order confirmation with delivery date of Jan. 17th. which is my regularly scheduled delivery date, always a Wednesday.

Schwan's does not communicate with their customers and apparently don't care if they satisfy them or not. I don't think the people working in the customer care have a clue as to what they are doing. This is not the first time this has happened, I sat one day waiting for a delivery that never arrived. I then checked my account online and saw it was to be delivered not on my regular Wed. but on Friday that week. They could send an email informing the customers that they have changed the delivery date, some may not be home. I have stayed with Schwan's because I don't get to the grocery store and the delivery drivers have always been great, it is not their fault. It is the Schwan's Corporate that hires people that are not local to do a job that someone near here should be doing.

They made me feel like I was asking for a special request when all I wanted is my order delivered when it is scheduled to be. I am very dissatisfied with the customer service and whomever does the route scheduling. My order has been scheduled since Dec. 24 for delivery on Jan. 17th and I apparently am not going to be getting it as scheduled. Bad customer service and terrible communication with customer. The only good thing about Schwan is the delivery persons, all have been very friendly and polite. I would not recommend this company unless desperate for food and homebound.

Schwan's Company Information