1.32/5
Based on 179 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

189 Quaker Oats Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

Yeah... I don’t think I can ever eat oatmeal again after seeing this??? First I found a dried and shredded worm skin so then I started looking... and sure enough after stirring it up... I found the worm. Soooo grosss.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Just called Quaker and they wanted to send me coupons as well to compensate. No thanks. I’m done with Quaker... anything. Tried packets after finding bug in the tub container. Both times had more bugs!

Get expert buying tips about Food Products delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

My son and I were eating peaches and cream instant oatmeal and there was a bunched up RUBBERBAND in my oatmeal!!! I have ate this oatmeal for years and I will NOT be eating it again. I am so grossed out! I am so glad my ONE year old son didn’t have that bite!!!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Today I read an article from research scientists who found our oat based cereals contain 8% more glyphosate than is recommended for our health. I was disappointed, because my favorite cereals are "Honey Bunches of Oats" and Life cereal (contains oat flour). It is time the cereal industry put their foot down on Monsanto, and Bayer, and the industrial producers of cereal who lazily apply Round-Up on our cereal crops every year. It is not a necessary step in production. It is a cancer agent, and it needs to be withdrawn as part of producing our food. People are becoming more and more conscious of what they eat. Wake up! I will now boycott all cereals until the industry complies with this health mandate.

My grandfather was a supervisor for Pillsbury Mills in Minneapolis and Enid, Oklahoma during the last century. I remember how proud he was about the quality of their products, and the extent they went to make certain it was healthy for babies on up. It is obvious that went by the wayside on the way to making more money. Shame on you. People are your meal ticket. It is time to go organic, and stop poisoning the food with herbicides, and artificial fertilizer.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I love the taste of the LIFE cinnamon cereal, but this time around it was different. I started eating the cereal, as it looked fine but realized the taste was off this time, and after about 3 scoops, I noticed this white slime on a few pieces. Started digging around in my bowl to find more. It's not from my milk, as the milk was brand new, not even close to expiring, and I definitely would've noticed curd clumps drop out of the jug if that was the case, and it was the first bowl of cereal out of a new bag which doesn't expire for the next 6 months. I came across a lot of negative reviews for Quaker products while trying to see if someone had the same issue. I'm really disappointed, ruined my breakfast...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Quaker Oats?

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Below is the original email I sent to you about the problem I had with the Quaker Fruit and Cream 20 pack/value pack which I paid $11.99 each for 3 boxes I buy every time I get my SSI benefits check and do my monthly shopping. Today I received some coupons for Quaker products, but NOTHING FOR THE OATMEAL. You people have a lot of nerve... And shame on you for taking an old man for granted by trying to pull the wool over my eyes. When I saw the coupons I got so angry I tore them up in little pieces and cursed you the whole time. You DARED TO SEND ME COUPONS FOR THINGS I NEVER USED AND WILL NEVER USE.

I have no teeth and I can't eat your Cap'n Crunch cereal (and it's practically all sugar that I can't have). I have never bought it and never will. I live in a Veteran's home so I have no way to make your Aunt Jemima pancakes, they serve us pancakes here a few times a week and I wouldn't make them anyway. Your Rice a Roni and Pasta Roni I don't eat and never will. NOTHING FOR FRUIT AND CREAM OATMEAL... And the coupons say "Use only 1 per visit", another scam to make me go and waste money that I DO NOT HAVE, and NO you don't limit my visits to the store to buy your product... do you? But you limit the coupon... if that isn't a scam... what is it? I've explained my situation in the email below. Tell me which part you don't understand and I'll make it very clear for you.

Pepsico is a multi-billion dollar industry and you're telling me you can't afford to reimburse an old man who can't waste a penny to survive??? We're talking $73.39, not millions of dollars!. Reimbursement for 3 boxes 20 pack value pack $35.97. The EXTRA $19.82 cab fare I had to waste to try and solve this petty problem. And $17.49 for dried fruits by Trader Joe on Amazon. THAT'S A TOTAL OF $73.39 - THAT'S ALL. I'm sure this amount would be much, much bigger if I talked to my lawyer about it, but I think it's to petty to go that route... and trust me... you would lose!

ALSO...You sent me a "KIT" on how and what to do with the oatmeal... I COMPLIED, Wasting my precious time and effort TO MAKE YOU HAPPY and I GET NOTHING IN RETURN, but YOU BENEFIT... by finding out what went wrong, you fix it, and CONTINUE MAKING YOUR MONEY BY SELLING THE SUBSTANDARD OATMEAL.

LET ME SUM UP EVERYTHING FOR YOU... I WANT TO BE REIMBURSED FOR THE MONEY I HAD TO WASTE TO TRY AND SOLVE THE PROBLEM... Only $73.39 (refund for the 3 boxes = $35.97, refund for extra cab trip to the store, and refund for $17.50... give or take a few cents to buy Trader Joe's dried fruits on Amazon... So that I wouldn't waste the oatmeal... (yes, I'm picky with my oatmeal for breakfast: I will only eat it only with fruit and cream in it. I do not like and don't eat plain oatmeal).

Additionally, I should be compensated for being compliant, using my precious time and effort with you and your "Kit" that will help you fix the problem, whatever you think is right will be ok with me. I've done my part, be fair to an old man on limited income, and do the right thing by doing what I asked... Please remember... Coupons do not pay my rent or get me the things I need day by day to live. I really need to be reimbursed the extra money that I spent. You should also remember that ..."THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT".

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Just recently bought a small tub of Quaker Regular Oatmeal from my job at Big Lots and saved it for in the morning. Was in the middle of my first bite when I noticed my bowl was full of dead bugs! Then I looked at the tub and saw bugs bubbling from the bottom where they were buried underneath. I nearly choked up my own guts into the trash. There were so many that I had to scramble to kill them and wounded up wrapping the tub in two bags.

I swallowed some of these! After coming here and seeing others' experiences, I am perplexed at how this company is still in business. Great Value does it better! This hasn’t turned me away from Oatmeal but it has turned me away from you Quaker and ANY of your products! If you haven’t fixed this issue yet then your company is well past its death date and your grave is waiting. Now lay in it!!!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

While on vacation, the news reported that Quaker Oats, Cheerios, and several other products contain WEED KILLER. Although they report that the EPA/Government allows 160 parts per billion as an ACCEPTABLE "safe" amount, I refuse to eat anything with ANY AMOUNT of weed killer in it. This is 100% UNACCEPTABLE to us. I eat Quaker Oats 3 to 4 times a week! As soon as we returned home, I pulled the 1/2 box of Quaker Oats out of our pantry and threw it in the garbage where it belongs. I suppose I could have sprinkled it on our flower bed to kill weeds, but we threw it out. I will no longer be purchasing any of your products and we will look for another brand that does not poison their consumers. If we can't find another non-toxic oatmeal, we will just not eat it anymore. Thanks, but you can keep your toxic products!!!

Original review: June 10, 2018

This was the first box of Real Medley cereal that I had tried and was disappointed. Quaker Oats, for a long time, had been known with putting out healthy breakfast foods that were both nutritious and tasteful. Sadly, I cannot apply those terms to this cereal. Though this cereal uses healthful grains and other items such as nuts and dried fruits, this cereal is also very sweet and not favorable to someone, such as I, who is watching their intake of sugar. It seems that Quaker Oats, who once stood out among the crowd of breakfast foods, has now fallen in line with other breakfast cereals in putting out heavily processed and sweetened foods. Also some people suspect that this cereal has GMOs.

At **, the author takes a look at Quaker Oats Real Medley oatmeal and lists all the processed ingredients, sugar content, and the GMOs being used. I suspect the same with the Real Medley cereals. Regrettably, because of all of this, this will be last box of Real Medley that I will purchase. Hopefully Quaker Oats will find their roots once again.

Original review: March 31, 2018

Cooked the last amount of Quaker oats that I transferred to a sealed container and stored inside the fridge, I already ate the first servings and didn't noticed the tiny white spot (egg-like thing) mixed in my oatmeal not until I tried to get my second serving! So disgusting! What will you do abt this, Quaker Oats what if there's gonna be parasites in my stomach because of this? You should close.down your company! YOU ARE A THREAT TO CONSUMERS' HEALTH AND OUR LIVES!!!

Original review: March 24, 2018

I was at work and I open my brand new package of oatmeal. Immediately moths start flying out of the package. I had to quickly cover it and start killing them. Frantically yelling and slamming stuff my co-workers came into the kitchen and notice the swarm of moths. I was so embarrassed.

Original review: March 10, 2018

I was halfway through my second box of maple brown sugar instant oatmeal when the next and last bag I opened up into a bowl had a little black surprise pop out of it along with the oats. Thinking nothing of it and not giving a second look as I assumed it was an overcooked or just discolored oat, I proceeded to pour the boiling water in. After a minute of letting it settle I noticed that the "black oat" had antennas and legs sticking out of it. Disgusted, I immediately put garbage where garbage is supposed to be (in the bin) after showing my wife. I regret not taking a photo of it like she suggested afterwards. I was just too disturbed to do anything else in the moment. Thank you Quaker, for ruining my oatmeal experience. It was a good run while it lasted.

Original review: March 4, 2018

We usually love our Life cereal but today my kids opened up a new box of Life Original. Had a bowl, in search of some more a large mass that was brown, hard looked like things stuck to it fell out. We are scared and want answers. I mean my kids just ate this. I tried calling customer service. It isn’t open on weekends. Maybe poison control? What the heck is this thing???

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Maple Brown Sugar instant packets infested with little bugs. I will never eat oatmeal again. Quaker owes me the milk I wasted, the price of the oatmeal, emotional distress 'cause now I see black/brown specks on my food and immediately lose my appetite.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

What happened to Quaker Oats? They used to be good. After not having prepared their oatmeal in a long time I decided to buy a container. I cooked it as recommended and it was awful. Tough oats and an odd taste. Not good. I threw it out. Then I tried it again a week later. Same tough oats with an unappetizing taste. I then googled Quaker Oats and was shocked to read the number of people complaining about finding bugs in the oats. This is totally unacceptable. What in God's name is going on here? These complaints have been going on since 2005 and up to 2016. Where is the FDA??? Why aren't they inspected these plants and the product? Now Quaker Oats is recalling its granola bars for possible listeria contamination. The Quaker Oats Company should be shut down for good!!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I bought some Quaker Oats and they tasted nasty. After searching on Google I found that EcoWatch tested Quaker Oats imported into Taiwan and found it exceeded the supposedly safe limit of glyphosate Monsanto poison. Bugs are natural in grains but not the nasty taste. People used to have to use a sifter to sift weevils out of the flour before using the flour. The bugs are evidently immune to the poison which shouldn't be used on oats. You shake the oats up and down to shake the bugs out. Aren't any of you country farm people? Anyway it's probably not safe to eat because of the glyphosate Monsanto poison.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I purchased a bulk box of Quaker instant oatmeal at Sam's Club in Avondale, Arizona in October of 2017. I stored one package in my convenient 2 gallon container. Today, December 6th, 2017 I went to fill up my “work” container with the oats in my 2 gallon container. When I opened the container I immediately noticed tiny squirming bugs all over the “scooper” I use. I proceeded to Google away. I threw out the contents of the container into a plastic bag and straight into the outside trash. I then cleaned my cabinets checking each oat and grain container. I then placed bay leaves in every container. Ultimately, I decided to throw out the unopened second bag of oats that came in the same box. I'm a bargain shopper and I am very discouraged by my experience. I will still eat Quaker Oats but I will be much more cautious now. The effortless wholesome view of this product will probably never return.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I have always enjoyed Quaker Oats Raisin, Date and Walnut Instant Oatmeal. So I bought several boxes. I opened a box and made one of the packet. To my surprise it had a bad taste. It taste salty and bitter instead of sweet. I checked the expiration date and it was fine. Then I opened another box and the packet in the box had the same bad taste. I wanted to know if there was a recall because somehow the company accidentally put the wrong ingredient in the this particular oatmeal flavor. Only God know what I digested. I only had one spoon but it was so nasty. I am not a person who is easily thrown off by awful taste. However, this was really bad. I am not going to buy this brand of oatmeal again after my experience and the nasty things I read about concerning the hygiene of the Quaker brand. I am very disappointed.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Many months ago my boyfriend bought the bulk size Quaker Oatmeal box at Costco and we keep it on top of the refrigerator. A few days ago I decided to make Oatmeal cookies and a maggot fell onto the kitchen counter. When I poured the oats into a bowl I did not see any maggots at that time so I made the cookies. I regret that. A few days later I wanted to make some hot oatmeal and I saw a maggot hanging on the side of the jar. I told my boyfriend about it and he proceeded to empty out the bags and found dozens of maggots and clumpy weblike stuff in the oatmeal. I’m totally sick by this, literally. We just bought a new box which I advised him to return asap. Who knows how long this has been stored on the shelf and now makes me wonder what they are putting in the oats.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I have always loved Quaker Oats Instant Maple and Brown Sugar Cereal, but my recent experience has put a doubt about the hygiene conditions the Quaker products may be processed in. I had got this pack from a Ralph's in Southern California. After pouring milk in the instant cereal mix, the bugs began to surface, I don't think I would open the remaining packs in this box, highly disappointed! I immediately went on to the internet looking for similar experiences and wow!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I am traumatized with my experience with Quaker Instant Oatmeal. I purchased the banana nut protein instant oatmeal and was disgusted by what I saw when I microwaved a packet at work. There were 2 types of bugs in the oatmeal. Not just 1 or 2; the oatmeal was swamped with these little worms. I am very disappointed because I used to eat the oatmeal at work every day for breakfast. Not only can I never eat Quaker oatmeal, but I can never eat oatmeal at all ever again. I think about those worms in my food all the time. I check everything before I eat now.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I was not able to open the 42 ounce container. The instructions did not make sense. It said something about pulling on the plastic on the outside and that did not work. I ended up taking a knife and cutting through the top multiple times. After I got the top off I noticed chunks of plastic and paper in the oats so gave thought to throwing it away. Instead I pulled the few pieces of plastic and paper in the oatmeal out that I saw and hope neither plastic or paper is too dangerous. One chunk of plastic was about 1 inch long that I pulled out. The container top is far too dangerous.

I had bought two so I then tried to open the other one. After about 5 minutes I determined if you press down on the areas that look like it cut into the paper they will pop down into the cereal. Then if you grab the paper and rip it up the most of the rest of the paper would come off. There was this plastic circle that if you were able to get your fingers under it then pulled up it seemed to release from the paper so this may have been how it was meant to be opened. Very dangerous. I have never complained about something like this before. The two cost me about $4 per container.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I love oatmeal but will never eat it again. Soon as I opened the container, not the bags, worms, and flying bugs were everywhere. After reading other people’s experiences with Quaker oatmeal. I am at a lack of understanding why Quaker still has products on the market. Why have they not been shut down?

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I opened an individual package of Instant Maple Brown Sugar Quaker oatmeal, warmed water in a coffee mug in the microwave, and added the mix to the mug. I mixed it real good and waited. I was at work when I began to eat it. I noticed something that looked like a maggots skin floating, and I took it out. It really scared me, so I began to look more. And then I found a maggot in my oatmeal. I couldn't believe it. I was in shock.

They had a big box of the individual packets in the break room. And for months I would have these. I never thought about searching in my food. The box was not even expired. Then I found all these reviews. How can they keep selling this product to people? I was trying to be healthy, but now, I don't think I'll ever be able to eat oatmeal again. Ever since starting to work at my job I noticed I have been getting more and more sick of my stomach. I wonder if I have been eating maggots and not even noticed. This has caused a lot of anxiety, I am very worried.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I opened a brand new box of Quaker Instant Oatmeal. When I pulled out one of the packets and placed it on the table, I saw a worm - alive and crawling on the outside of the packet. It looked like a mealworm to me. Of course after seeing this, I did not want to eat any of the packets of oatmeal. I removed the remaining packets of oatmeal because I saw something at the bottom of the box. Still not sure what it was, but I took a picture of it. Looked to me like dried up bugs. Quaker needs to explain, why their products are being sold in this condition. This is not good/healthy.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

My daughter opened a pack of banana and cream from the variety box. I've been eating packets of oatmeal from all week. There were black bugs crawling around in it. We opened the 3 remaining bags and bugs were in all but one of them. Will never eat oatmeal again!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

Like others who reviewed on here, I found white wormy things in my Quaker Weight Control Maple and Brown Sugar Instant Oatmeal. It almost looked like a tapeworm or something. It's possible that they were something else besides worms, but whatever they were, they weren't oatmeal and had no place in my breakfast. I'm completely grossed out.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

I feel as if I use cheated and now sicken to think I have been eating bugs in my oats that I found today in this product I have used all my life. That's 67 years. But I hope just this year I found the bugs and hope I was not eating them from the beginning of my life but who knows? I don't think I will ever eat that brand again. It make me sick to think I have been eating bugs all my life. I found little black bugs when I started to make oats for breakfast this morning and can't get it out of my head that bugs were in the oats.That's all I will say so I can just stop thinking about this very disturbing situation I just learn. I don't think I will ever eat this brand of oats again and will check any others I try first. I have given up on Quaker Oats.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I found white wormy things in my cooked oatmeal (Quaker Weight Control Maple and Brown Sugar) this morning. It was after I microwaved it (so disgusting). I had already eaten some. I have been buying this for over a year. Hoping that the company responds to checking this out and make sure this doesn't happen again.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

We recently bought Quaker oatmeal from Costco in bulk. When we looked in the bag there were these tiny black bugs crawling all over the oatmeal. There was bugs crawling out of the bag. It was disgusting! I will no longer buy this product! I will be contacting Costco and Quaker. I'm appalled that this product is being sold in these conditions. For there to be this many complaints against this product there should be a law suit. For anyone out there with this oatmeal DON'T BUY IT! If you do, make sure to inspect it and that goes for all other packaged foods.

Quaker Oats Company Information