1.35/5
  • 1 star
Based on 162 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 6, 2017

172 Quaker Oats Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I purchased a bulk box of Quaker instant oatmeal at Sam's Club in Avondale, Arizona in October of 2017. I stored one package in my convenient 2 gallon container. Today, December 6th, 2017 I went to fill up my “work” container with the oats in my 2 gallon container. When I opened the container I immediately noticed tiny squirming bugs all over the “scooper” I use. I proceeded to Google away. I threw out the contents of the container into a plastic bag and straight into the outside trash. I then cleaned my cabinets checking each oat and grain container. I then placed bay leaves in every container. Ultimately, I decided to throw out the unopened second bag of oats that came in the same box. I'm a bargain shopper and I am very discouraged by my experience. I will still eat Quaker Oats but I will be much more cautious now. The effortless wholesome view of this product will probably never return.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I have always enjoyed Quaker Oats Raisin, Date and Walnut Instant Oatmeal. So I bought several boxes. I opened a box and made one of the packet. To my surprise it had a bad taste. It taste salty and bitter instead of sweet. I checked the expiration date and it was fine. Then I opened another box and the packet in the box had the same bad taste. I wanted to know if there was a recall because somehow the company accidentally put the wrong ingredient in the this particular oatmeal flavor. Only God know what I digested. I only had one spoon but it was so nasty. I am not a person who is easily thrown off by awful taste. However, this was really bad. I am not going to buy this brand of oatmeal again after my experience and the nasty things I read about concerning the hygiene of the Quaker brand. I am very disappointed.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Many months ago my boyfriend bought the bulk size Quaker Oatmeal box at Costco and we keep it on top of the refrigerator. A few days ago I decided to make Oatmeal cookies and a maggot fell onto the kitchen counter. When I poured the oats into a bowl I did not see any maggots at that time so I made the cookies. I regret that. A few days later I wanted to make some hot oatmeal and I saw a maggot hanging on the side of the jar. I told my boyfriend about it and he proceeded to empty out the bags and found dozens of maggots and clumpy weblike stuff in the oatmeal. I’m totally sick by this, literally. We just bought a new box which I advised him to return asap. Who knows how long this has been stored on the shelf and now makes me wonder what they are putting in the oats.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I have always loved Quaker Oats Instant Maple and Brown Sugar Cereal, but my recent experience has put a doubt about the hygiene conditions the Quaker products may be processed in. I had got this pack from a Ralph's in Southern California. After pouring milk in the instant cereal mix, the bugs began to surface, I don't think I would open the remaining packs in this box, highly disappointed! I immediately went on to the internet looking for similar experiences and wow!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I am traumatized with my experience with Quaker Instant Oatmeal. I purchased the banana nut protein instant oatmeal and was disgusted by what I saw when I microwaved a packet at work. There were 2 types of bugs in the oatmeal. Not just 1 or 2; the oatmeal was swamped with these little worms. I am very disappointed because I used to eat the oatmeal at work every day for breakfast. Not only can I never eat Quaker oatmeal, but I can never eat oatmeal at all ever again. I think about those worms in my food all the time. I check everything before I eat now.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Quaker Oats?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I was not able to open the 42 ounce container. The instructions did not make sense. It said something about pulling on the plastic on the outside and that did not work. I ended up taking a knife and cutting through the top multiple times. After I got the top off I noticed chunks of plastic and paper in the oats so gave thought to throwing it away. Instead I pulled the few pieces of plastic and paper in the oatmeal out that I saw and hope neither plastic or paper is too dangerous. One chunk of plastic was about 1 inch long that I pulled out. The container top is far too dangerous.

I had bought two so I then tried to open the other one. After about 5 minutes I determined if you press down on the areas that look like it cut into the paper they will pop down into the cereal. Then if you grab the paper and rip it up the most of the rest of the paper would come off. There was this plastic circle that if you were able to get your fingers under it then pulled up it seemed to release from the paper so this may have been how it was meant to be opened. Very dangerous. I have never complained about something like this before. The two cost me about $4 per container.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I opened an individual package of Instant Maple Brown Sugar Quaker oatmeal, warmed water in a coffee mug in the microwave, and added the mix to the mug. I mixed it real good and waited. I was at work when I began to eat it. I noticed something that looked like a maggots skin floating, and I took it out. It really scared me, so I began to look more. And then I found a maggot in my oatmeal. I couldn't believe it. I was in shock.

They had a big box of the individual packets in the break room. And for months I would have these. I never thought about searching in my food. The box was not even expired. Then I found all these reviews. How can they keep selling this product to people? I was trying to be healthy, but now, I don't think I'll ever be able to eat oatmeal again. Ever since starting to work at my job I noticed I have been getting more and more sick of my stomach. I wonder if I have been eating maggots and not even noticed. This has caused a lot of anxiety, I am very worried.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I opened a brand new box of Quaker Instant Oatmeal. When I pulled out one of the packets and placed it on the table, I saw a worm - alive and crawling on the outside of the packet. It looked like a mealworm to me. Of course after seeing this, I did not want to eat any of the packets of oatmeal. I removed the remaining packets of oatmeal because I saw something at the bottom of the box. Still not sure what it was, but I took a picture of it. Looked to me like dried up bugs. Quaker needs to explain, why their products are being sold in this condition. This is not good/healthy.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

My daughter opened a pack of banana and cream from the variety box. I've been eating packets of oatmeal from all week. There were black bugs crawling around in it. We opened the 3 remaining bags and bugs were in all but one of them. Will never eat oatmeal again!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

Like others who reviewed on here, I found white wormy things in my Quaker Weight Control Maple and Brown Sugar Instant Oatmeal. It almost looked like a tapeworm or something. It's possible that they were something else besides worms, but whatever they were, they weren't oatmeal and had no place in my breakfast. I'm completely grossed out.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

I feel as if I use cheated and now sicken to think I have been eating bugs in my oats that I found today in this product I have used all my life. That's 67 years. But I hope just this year I found the bugs and hope I was not eating them from the beginning of my life but who knows? I don't think I will ever eat that brand again. It make me sick to think I have been eating bugs all my life. I found little black bugs when I started to make oats for breakfast this morning and can't get it out of my head that bugs were in the oats.That's all I will say so I can just stop thinking about this very disturbing situation I just learn. I don't think I will ever eat this brand of oats again and will check any others I try first. I have given up on Quaker Oats.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I found white wormy things in my cooked oatmeal (Quaker Weight Control Maple and Brown Sugar) this morning. It was after I microwaved it (so disgusting). I had already eaten some. I have been buying this for over a year. Hoping that the company responds to checking this out and make sure this doesn't happen again.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

We recently bought Quaker oatmeal from Costco in bulk. When we looked in the bag there were these tiny black bugs crawling all over the oatmeal. There was bugs crawling out of the bag. It was disgusting! I will no longer buy this product! I will be contacting Costco and Quaker. I'm appalled that this product is being sold in these conditions. For there to be this many complaints against this product there should be a law suit. For anyone out there with this oatmeal DON'T BUY IT! If you do, make sure to inspect it and that goes for all other packaged foods.

Original review: July 17, 2017

I bought a large normal size container of Quaker Oatmeal at our local grocery store called WinCo in Oregon about a week and a half ago. The kids and I decided to make oatmeal cookies. When I poured the oatmeal out of the box into the bowl we saw small black bugs crawling around in the oatmeal!!! I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I called Quaker but they were not open at the hour I called. I called the grocery store to let them know what I experience and stated that I needed to call Quaker. They stated they could give me a refund, but the oatmeal is so cheap that's not even the principle. The principle is they are making a faulty product!!! The concern is consumption safety. This is a million billion dollar company, my hope is that they will get it right... I did lose sleep over this incident. It's 1 AM in the morning. I won’t be having Quaker Oatmeal as my leisure late night sack.

Original review: June 19, 2017

Opened a packet of maple and brown sugar oatmeal to make for a late snack. Opened the package into a clear plastic container and could see something strange moving around in the oats. Ended up being little tiny bugs; more than just a handful. Absolutely disgusting seeing such in my food.

Original review: June 16, 2017

I ate half a bowl of the regular Quaker Instant Oatmeal (the one that comes in individual packets) before finding a dark brown/black circle looking thing that I believe may be a bug. I did some research because I really wanted to find out it's just an oatmeal husk or something safe/edible people regularly find in their oatmeal but I couldn't find anything like it and it's certainly NOT a part of the oatmeal husk. I am so disgusted and scared to eat their oatmeal or any oatmeal again... I flipped the 'bug' around so I have a picture of both sides (FYI, I added a pinch of cinnamon that's why its darker and there are those tiny brown dots - but the 'bug' didn't come from the cinnamon as I would have felt it when I was measuring the pinch). I have been eating this brand of oatmeal for YEARS and this was the first packet I opened in a recently purchased box.

Original review: April 6, 2017

I always eat maple brown sugar oatmeal for breakfast. I bought some on 4/4/17 in Port Charlotte FL at Super Walmart on Murdock Circle. I made a bowl and it tasted like maple banana. I thought maybe my taste buds were off so I made another bowl. Same banana taste. I dislike banana very much. I made my 14 year old son some he tasted banana too. So I'm a little upset I wasted my money on oatmeal I can't even enjoy. I wondering if all the boxes taste like banana.

Original review: March 19, 2017

This appears to be a typical experience for consumers, which is shocking to me. I poured the oatmeal in a clear glass bowl and saw a bug crawling up. Then it started to crawl to my water heater as shown in the picture. I am traumatized now and won't be eating oatmeal any longer!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2017

I just purchased these peanut butter chewy bars for the 1st time, and as I bit into the bar today there was a big piece of hard plastic buried in it. That is very disgusting and I nearly broke a tooth. I will never buy these again!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2017

I never personally had an issue eating the apple oatmeal before, it was one of my favorites. However, it is clear to me this company has a major maggot infestation where they produce their oatmeal products and have been neglecting this issue for SEVERAL years. This is unacceptable, the FDA needs to shut this company down for good.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2017

I got a tube of old fashioned oatmeal a week or so ago. It's something I normally eat in the morning when I'm looking for something filling or I'm not feeling well. However this time the purpose was to learn how to make my favorite cookies – oatmeal raisin. My grandmother was showing me her recipe which calls for premeasured separated ingredients to decrease mess. I had everything put in separate bowls but had the raisins on top of the oatmeal in its own bowl. While mixing the dry powdered ingredients in with the soft ingredients my grandma gets my attention saying “What's that?” I look over and there are maggots is what it looked like to me but go with her because age. She said meal worms. But they had swarmed to the top of the bowl the top of the raisins. I got the chills up my spine so bad it looked like a mini seizure apparently. It was grotesque.

Bunch of tan colored bugs folding themselves in half around raisins where with the color variations between the bugs and the raisins you could see a bunch of them. I got on here to see if it was just my luck but with all these reviews. This is a problem and it's just taken away my least expensive and favorite breakfast away because I am never buying your product again. That's disgusting. I'm pissed. I wish I had taken a pic but I went and smoked and grandma threw it out. Can't blame her. Who would want that ** in their home. Eww...

Original review: Dec. 22, 2016

The first couple of packets in the box tasted normal, but every time I've tried to make it since then (3-4 times), it tastes and smells exactly like soap. Just taking a single tiny test bite leaves a terrible after taste that is very difficult to get rid of. Please fix this Quaker!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2016

My daughter has been sick for the last week. Today was the first day in a while she had an appetite. I made her Quaker Dino oatmeal as it was the only thing she had any interest in. She took one bite and found a mealworm in her oats. :( She cried her eyes out and hasn't ate since. Ugh I'm so mad. Definitely will not be buying anymore!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2016

I was about to eat my oatmeal until I thought it was a grain on the side of the lid of my cup - behold it was a worm. Ewww please let me have my money back. Quaker Oats you forever traumatized me for life. Never buying your products EVER!!!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2016

I bought a bag of plain Quaker Oatmeal on October 2 from Walmart and when I opened the bag yesterday (Oct. 14) to make oatmeal for breakfast, out flew bugs that looked like tiny moths. When I looked into the bag the product was moving with little bugs... Disgusting. What is wrong with product?

Original review: Sept. 28, 2016

Quaker Real Medleys Cherry Almond Pecan Multigrain Cereal. Very difficult to eat. The dried cherries are way too hard even after setting in milk for 5 minutes. I thought that I was going to lose a gold crown while chomping down on them. You need hyena jaws to chew it. For those with false teeth it's game over. This product needs to cease production and recalled from all retailers. I'm taking it back to the grocery store and demanding a refund!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2016

We as consumer look upon brand to get good quality by paying a hefty price. But after that also, if consumer gets a product with live insects in it and if something happens, who is responsible for that. On Sep 10, 2016, I shopped at Reliance fresh, Shimpoli, Borivali west. I bought Quaker Oats 1.5 kg with mfg date 29 June, 2016. When it was unpacked, to my horror I saw the oats with live insects. I have been using quaker oats and give it to my child as morning breakfast. But from now, I can't believe on even the brand names. You have ruined it. I have been recommending Quaker to many of my friends but now its difficult to even say something.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2016

Quaker Simple Granola with almond, raisin and honey - Found Cement Rocks type substances in granola cereal. It won't dissolve in hot water! I bought it yesterday. Was eating it today! Feeling sick! GI issues!!! Yuck! Been eating Quaker products since childhood!!!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2016

I live with my mother and my two younger siblings. We buy granola bars often, usually the Quaker chew bars in chocolate chip, s'mores and rocky road flavors. My mom works and I go to school, so my siblings go to daycare and we were both very upset and shocked when their daycare lady found maggots in my brother's granola bar. Since then we've found one other bar with maggots in it. It's extremely disturbing. I'm also upset that they've decided to send us coupons for this. It's outrageous! My brother ate most of the granola bar.

I'm glad they're taking action and wanting to make sure this doesn't happen again (but clearly it has because other reviews show so) but coupons aren't going to win back my trust. No, I'd rather not buy these products again. It's not like I enjoy having to check over every single granola bar we give my siblings, both my mother and I have become paranoid over this, because it's not us eating them - it's a 5 year old and an 8 year old. We bought these granola bars pretty recently as well. Snacks for the week for 2 kids goes fairly quickly so there's no way it was expired. Very upset, it looks like we'll have to find a new brand of granola bars.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2016

I experienced the same thing as many of the consumers who wrote their reviews here. I found maggots in my oatmeal that I purchased in the large Quaker Old Fashioned oats tube and I found live meal worms in the Quaker Quick-Cooking grits. I will not be purchasing these products again and will either mill my own oats after buying the whole oat groats (it is very easy to do with a small home mill!), or I will buy another brand of oats that I trust. Quaker must know about this problem and should do something to address it. This is horrible!

Quaker Oats Company Information