2. Shopping
  3. Meal Delivery Service

3.5/5 (50 ratings)

About Postmates

Postmates offers local delivery of take-out food and other goods. You can order food, alcohol or groceries through the Postmates app, which works with GPS to match inventories to consumer demand. Postmates is available in all 50 states.

Pros

• Available 24/7
  • Membership perks
  • Wide product variety

Cons

• High delivery fees
  • Blitz Prices during peak times

Bottom Line

Postmates is a great option for ordering food, alcohol and grocery items, particularly in metropolitan areas. The service offers a wide variety of products and is easy to use.

What is Postmates?

Postmates’ goal is to provide on-demand delivery of almost anything. The company is available in 2,490 cities in all 50 U.S. states, and it lets you purchase and schedule delivery of take-out meals from restaurants, alcohol or groceries.

Postmates delivery

Participating businesses and product variety and availability vary by city, but you can use Postmates’ app to see the options available in your area. When you order, you can arrange to meet your delivery driver at the door or curbside. You can also request to have deliveries left at your door.

Postmates can deliver alcohol to individuals 21 or older in specific markets, but its delivery drivers are not allowed to deliver alcohol to someone who is already intoxicated. The company charges a $15 return fee if the courier is unable to deliver the alcohol because the recipient is intoxicated, does not have a valid ID or is not of legal drinking age.

Postmates delivery fee

The Postmates app is free to download and use. When you place an order, you pay for your food, beverage or grocery items as well as any applicable sales tax and a tip for the courier.

Postmates charges delivery fees ranging from 99 cents to $3.99 for partnered restaurants and $5.99 to $9.99 for all other merchants. While browsing the app, you can view the restaurant’s delivery fee by looking under its name. Postmates may charge Blitz Pricing, which is a multiplier added to the delivery fee, if the company is experiencing high demands.

You can find discount codes for Postmates online.

Postmates Unlimited cost

If you plan to use Postmates regularly, it’s worth considering its Postmates Unlimited plan. Postmates Unlimited members receive special offers, free delivery on orders more than $12 and access to exclusive giveaways. Postmates does not charge Blitz Pricing on Postmates Unlimited members’ orders.

Postmates Unlimited costs $9.99 a month, or you can save money by paying $99.99 annually.

Postmates FAQ

Do you have to tip Postmates?
Tipping is a great way to acknowledge excellent service. When you place an order on the Postmates platform, you’re prompted to select a tip amount at checkout. You can adjust the tip amount while the delivery is ongoing, and you can change it one time for up to 10 hours after you receive a delivery.
Can you pay in cash for Postmates?
Postmates is a cashless experience. You pay all delivery fees and service fees using a card on file. Postmates does not support cash-only merchants. Tips, however, may be paid in cash.
What time does Postmates stop delivering?
Postmates is available 24/7. As long as the selected merchant is open and accepting to-go orders, Postmates delivers.
Where is Postmates available?
Postmates is available in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. On the company’s website, you can submit requests to bring Postmates to your city if it’s not currently available.

Is Postmates worth it?

If you need help shopping, Postmates offers local, on-demand delivery of thousands of meals and products. Postmates is a convenient option for busy people who need access to take-out or grocery items. Though its delivery fees are higher than similar services, many find the ability to have food, drinks and staples delivered worth the cost. We recommend Postmates for its extensive variety and intuitive app.

Postmates Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Postmates?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Postmates?

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

Food was not delivered. I could not get ahold of customer service. I tried the CHAT, email and difficult to find a phone number. I'm a RN and work nights and specifically said DO NOT CALL only text, bc I was trying to get a few minutes of sleep as I was going back to work soon. They called anyway and when tried to return drivers call, no answer! I let it ring forever. Then that number went to automated message i.e., “that number can not be reached”. Restaurant has no idea where the food is!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

This company has more delivery fees than any other service. I did not realize and clicked on it directly though a restaurant. They are unhelpful and once you place the order they will not allow you to cancel with a fee regardless of the reason.

Get buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

So at 5:20 I placed my order. Text relayed ready for pick up, 6:02. Arrived at restaurant and as they ran around frantically looking for my dinner, the order was received. Boo to Postmates, not an isolated issue according to the restaurant. I will see never use them again. I also placed the order with promised delivery and wham, order placed and informed me of pick up time. No! They DO NOT HAVE THEIR ACT TOGETHER!!!

Original review: June 30, 2021

Postmates in San Francisco... where to begin? Their app allows you to see when a car has finally arrived to pick up a hot meal, which is well beyond when the app informs you it's been cooked. Then you can follow the car via the app, and in my recent experience, have noticed the car stopping along the way for another "delivery" which in turn makes me think the driver is stopping off at their apartment or a friend's house, chilling out for a bit, and jumping back in the car with my cold, paid-for food.

I've had it with having to reheat/crisp deliveries that cost $30 a pop. Postmates is a terrible service, and to make it worse, their customer service team has no empathy nor a clue this is happening with their customers (i.e. Millenials who are on their phones all day instead). At least Domino's guarantees a timely, heated delivery. How times have changed.

Original review: June 22, 2021

Postmates is a scam. They used to be good and actually care about their customers and that's why I continued to use them. In 2021, Postmates really started to take a turn for the worse. On multiple occasions, I had to wait between 3 and 4 hours for food that was promised to be there within an hour. The biggest issue with this fact is that they did not inform me that the meal would take longer. In fact, they would wait to update the expected delivery time just as it was hitting that time. An example of this would be Expected Delivery between 1:00 and 1:20, it hits 1:20 and now the Expected Delivery is between 1:40 and 2:00. This last minute change would happen over and over until it had been several hours.

They have also stolen money from me. If you put in a complaint, you cannot contact them about the same order. The able literally does not allow for this. This has caused me to be unable to request a refund for food undelivered because they have two different systems for undelivered food and other complaints. Another time I ordered 4 of one item. I only received 1 of this item. When I applied for refund for undelivered food, they refunded me half of one of the items. An example: Ordered 4 items at $3 a piece. I got $2 refund. Postmates stole $7 from me with no explanation.

Finally, they have completely ignored some attempts at contact. In other cases, they have taken months to reply. The most recent example of this is that I contacted them about some of the above on March 28. Today, June 22, three months later, they replied like they hadn't waited three months. These are just my personal experiences but I know others who have had issues including a joint order I shared with them where the food was cancelled after it had been picked up from the restaurant. I'm positive part of this is because of their integration with Uber because that's really when things went downhill. I am disgusted with this company's poor business practices and I hope no one else makes the mistake of giving them money.

Original review: May 27, 2021

I signed up for the app but they didn't actually deliver for the one business I was trying to order from (I believe Starbucks) so I never placed an order. I then got a charge for the monthly membership since I had put in my card information intending to order though I don't recall signing up for it. I tried to call but they don't have phone support. I emailed for a refund but they never replied. I tried to report it as fraud to my bank but the posted charge had disappeared so I figured oh well as long as I got my money back. Then they charged again the next month so I emailed a few more times. I even posted on their wall on Facebook and they told me to DM them. I did and they said that my email was already in queue and so there's nothing they can do. It's been over a month and they still haven't responded and they still haven't refunded my money and they haven't stopped the continuous charges so I am reporting fraud to my bank. Seriously don't use Postmates.

Original review: April 25, 2021

I order a meal from a restaurant less than 1 mile away. The food is ready 20 min into the order. The 1st driver gets there 40 after the order and leaves after being there 15 min. A new driver is reassigned and the new delivery time is 1 hour and 45 min from the initial order. I canceled and they refused to refund any money back to me saying it was my fault. I drove to get the food myself and the restaurant is closed. I was lucky enough to find a manager cleaning up who gave me the cold order. He said there are tons of Postmates complaints and he feels that his restaurant is getting a bad rap due to Postmates. I will never work with Postmates again and I will make it a priority to spread the word at every opportunity to help prevent future victims.

Original review: April 21, 2021

Absolutely HORRIBLE delivery service! Do NOT USE! They cancel orders frequently after charging your card for it, and when they do decide to show up, it's more than an hour later, when food is cold and/or soggy. I am not sure what is going on with this company, but they really need to get it together, or shut it down!

Original review: March 10, 2021

Noticed today that Postmates jacked their prices WAY up! $11 for an $8 burrito bowl from Chipotle. Then on top of that, you’re charged for fees and delivery....not worth it. Would have been $50 for 2 people to eat. No thank you.

Original review: March 9, 2021

I have used Postmates delivery service many times. Lately, they have been assigning drivers multiple deliveries at once. So my order gets delayed because the food doesn’t come directly to me. Tired of cold food and being ignored when I issue a report and they do nothing. Horrible customer service

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

I completed my profile, passed the background check. I even received an email stating the above. Unfortunately, my account is inaccessible for some reason. I even reinstalled the app. I reached out to the tech support team and not a soul provided any assistance. Instead they continuously send automated messages which has not solved the issue I’ve been having. Why don’t they have a toll free number where people can speak to a live person!?!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2020

$37.50 divided by 2 (in other words 50% off before taxes and fees) according to Postmates is = to $12. Lol. Then $10.27 in fees before tip!??! Me facepalms. Not to mention the fact that they upcharge every item 10-50% more than the cost is at the actual restaurants. Will never use this service.

Postmates Company Information