3.8/5 (143 ratings)

About Postmates

Postmates offers local delivery of take-out food and other goods. You can order food, alcohol or groceries through the Postmates app, which works with GPS to match inventories to consumer demand. Postmates is available in all 50 states.

Pros

• Available 24/7
  • Membership perks
  • Wide product variety

Cons

• High delivery fees
  • Blitz Prices during peak times

Bottom Line

Postmates is a great option for ordering food, alcohol and grocery items, particularly in metropolitan areas. The service offers a wide variety of products and is easy to use.

What is Postmates?

Postmates’ goal is to provide on-demand delivery of almost anything. The company is available in 2,490 cities in all 50 U.S. states, and it lets you purchase and schedule delivery of take-out meals from restaurants, alcohol or groceries.

Postmates delivery

Participating businesses and product variety and availability vary by city, but you can use Postmates’ app to see the options available in your area. When you order, you can arrange to meet your delivery driver at the door or curbside. You can also request to have deliveries left at your door.

Postmates can deliver alcohol to individuals 21 or older in specific markets, but its delivery drivers are not allowed to deliver alcohol to someone who is already intoxicated. The company charges a $15 return fee if the courier is unable to deliver the alcohol because the recipient is intoxicated, does not have a valid ID or is not of legal drinking age.

Postmates delivery fee

The Postmates app is free to download and use. When you place an order, you pay for your food, beverage or grocery items as well as any applicable sales tax and a tip for the courier.

Postmates charges delivery fees ranging from 99 cents to $3.99 for partnered restaurants and $5.99 to $9.99 for all other merchants. While browsing the app, you can view the restaurant’s delivery fee by looking under its name. Postmates may charge Blitz Pricing, which is a multiplier added to the delivery fee, if the company is experiencing high demands.

You can find discount codes for Postmates online.

Postmates Unlimited cost

If you plan to use Postmates regularly, it’s worth considering its Postmates Unlimited plan. Postmates Unlimited members receive special offers, free delivery on orders more than $12 and access to exclusive giveaways. Postmates does not charge Blitz Pricing on Postmates Unlimited members’ orders.

Postmates Unlimited costs $9.99 a month, or you can save money by paying $99.99 annually.

Postmates FAQ

Do you have to tip Postmates?
Tipping is a great way to acknowledge excellent service. When you place an order on the Postmates platform, you’re prompted to select a tip amount at checkout. You can adjust the tip amount while the delivery is ongoing, and you can change it one time for up to 10 hours after you receive a delivery.
Can you pay in cash for Postmates?
Postmates is a cashless experience. You pay all delivery fees and service fees using a card on file. Postmates does not support cash-only merchants. Tips, however, may be paid in cash.
What time does Postmates stop delivering?
Postmates is available 24/7. As long as the selected merchant is open and accepting to-go orders, Postmates delivers.
Where is Postmates available?
Postmates is available in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. On the company’s website, you can submit requests to bring Postmates to your city if it’s not currently available.

Is Postmates worth it?

If you need help shopping, Postmates offers local, on-demand delivery of thousands of meals and products. Postmates is a convenient option for busy people who need access to take-out or grocery items. Though its delivery fees are higher than similar services, many find the ability to have food, drinks and staples delivered worth the cost. We recommend Postmates for its extensive variety and intuitive app.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Postmates?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Postmates?

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

I put in an order and immediately canceled it due to my family chose to go out instead. I was charged $65 and they refused to refund saying the merchant already started the order. Absurd an order could possibly get started in 2 minutes. And if the order couldn't be canceled why did I not receive the order. Postmates has a cancellation option on the website and they will not take responsibility. I always feel bad for customer service people having to recite the company nonsense, they do not have any control. The representative was as understanding as he could be. It is the company that is stealing my money.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2022

My family orders from you guys at least once, sometimes twice, and even three times, in one day-just about every single day. The amount of money we spend with you guys is absurd. The amount of money we pay in taxes and delivery fees almost always doubles what our total for the items we order was. The absolute slap in the face though, HAS to be the fact that 1 out of every 3 or 4 orders ends up being 100% correct. The other 2 or 3 orders are either totally wrong, partially wrong, or ruined by some other means (caps of soups popping off and spilling the soups everywhere, tearing through the bags, and soaking the bread in the driver's car. Which we were refused a refund for!! Almost 40 bucks for TWO soups that my wife couldn't even eat because of the spill.)

I want to know how it is that all of this seems to be business as usual for Postmates. This is unacceptable, it's one things to charge the crazy amounts of fees and taxes that get added on to every order, no matter how small the order may be or how close the restaurant is to our home, but it's another thing to constantly have your restaurants and drivers screwing up more often than not and then do nothing to fix these issues. We've been charged hundreds in fees, taxes, and prices of food we either never received or received ruined or wrong and therefore inedible. HUNDREDS.

I'm an advocate for these delivery platforms, they make lives easier. They use to make our life easier but that stopped some time ago. As yet another young family who were hit significantly by Covid19, like everyone else, it's a shame to see such a large company, whom we've used most days out of each year the past few years, care so much about money. That could've helped my family if we got it back but definitely wouldn't even be noticed as a loss by Postmates.

Please let me in on how this works because this service has failed us time and time and time again and has done nothing to assure us it will not continue to allow such issues to happen over and over again. Thank you in advance for any replies. It's disappointing to see a service we once recommended to everyone we knew, who we used countless times a week, whom we've been loyal to turn into what I'm seeing

Get buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2022

The reason for the 1 star ⭐️ is because they like to deceive people with their Priority Delivery charge. Most people see $1.99 for priority delivery and then see the expected time of 10-25 min and get hooked in. Please, please, please!!! Don’t pay for priority delivery. It’s not worth it. It’s just a way for them to charge you extra money without them actually doing anything. I’ve always paid for this because I wanted to make my own assumption and research. I lost the money so you don’t have to. 1/10 deliveries were on time, the rest came between the 45-50 min range. Their small print states that they don’t have to give you your money back unless they pass the 50 min delivery time. Just get normal delivery or go with a different company like Uber eats or Doordash. Their prices are lower and deliveries are faster. Postmates are ranked #147 out of all delivery companies. Delete your Postmates app, trust me.

Original review: April 19, 2022

I ordered from this restaurant and the quality of the food was awful and mostly inedible on April 18, 2022 via Postmates. I ordered the sweet potatoes fries and they were cold, soggy, and appeared to be picked over. I also ordered the buffalo chicken salad and the chicken was stale and hard. Lastly, I ordered the philly egg rolls and they were cold; however, they were the only edible item I could eat. I tried to obtain a credit or refund from Postmates to no avail; I chatted with Postmates and stated I will pay for the delivery fees and tip to the driver but I would like a credit for the food I purchased. Postmates only provided scripted messages without a true resolution and then stopped responding. I am very disappointed in the customer service. I have ordered with Postmates in the past with no issues and this is my first concern I had with them.

Original review: April 1, 2022

I ordered delivery from a local restaurant that used Postmates and was surprised by how much it cost. But the main problem was that the delivery driver came, set my order on the front porch and left without even ringing the doorbell. I’m lucky to have been watching out the window. The reason I was ordering out was because I’m a stuck at home with a broken ankle. I have no easy way to step out onto my front porch and pick up a delivery without encountering pain and without risking further injury to my ankle. Whether the fault was with the driver or with the company’s delivery standards I will be making sure now that if I’m ordering from a place that uses a third-party delivery service that that service is not Postmates.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2021

Worst company ever. They charged me a yearly fee with no authorization. They give NO phone number. NO email. NO way to get through. In my opinion, this is fraud. Uber is the same, the parent company. I gave up on Uber and Postmates. I used Lyft and Grubhub with never an issue.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

Food was not delivered. I could not get ahold of customer service. I tried the CHAT, email and difficult to find a phone number. I'm a RN and work nights and specifically said DO NOT CALL only text, bc I was trying to get a few minutes of sleep as I was going back to work soon. They called anyway and when tried to return drivers call, no answer! I let it ring forever. Then that number went to automated message i.e., “that number can not be reached”. Restaurant has no idea where the food is!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

This company has more delivery fees than any other service. I did not realize and clicked on it directly though a restaurant. They are unhelpful and once you place the order they will not allow you to cancel with a fee regardless of the reason.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

So at 5:20 I placed my order. Text relayed ready for pick up, 6:02. Arrived at restaurant and as they ran around frantically looking for my dinner, the order was received. Boo to Postmates, not an isolated issue according to the restaurant. I will see never use them again. I also placed the order with promised delivery and wham, order placed and informed me of pick up time. No! They DO NOT HAVE THEIR ACT TOGETHER!!!

Original review: June 30, 2021

Postmates in San Francisco... where to begin? Their app allows you to see when a car has finally arrived to pick up a hot meal, which is well beyond when the app informs you it's been cooked. Then you can follow the car via the app, and in my recent experience, have noticed the car stopping along the way for another "delivery" which in turn makes me think the driver is stopping off at their apartment or a friend's house, chilling out for a bit, and jumping back in the car with my cold, paid-for food.

I've had it with having to reheat/crisp deliveries that cost $30 a pop. Postmates is a terrible service, and to make it worse, their customer service team has no empathy nor a clue this is happening with their customers (i.e. Millenials who are on their phones all day instead). At least Domino's guarantees a timely, heated delivery. How times have changed.

Postmates Company Information