Peanut Butter Salmonella Complaints

Compare Miscellaneous

Research top Miscellaneous recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

In 2007, I went grocery shopping and for the first and only time in my life purchased a rather large jar of Peter Pan peanut butter. My children and l normally ate so much that it made sense to buy the large jar instead of making extra trips to buy more. Within days, I became ill. I had been eating PBJ sandwiches for lunch on the go for all week. Although I was sick, I kept eating the PBJ sandwiches not realizing it was the cause. Weeks later, the news broke and sure enough my jar matched the codes (211163560021010). I saved the jar but my husband eventually tossed it out. I was never compensated for my PB or illness. It was an experience I hoped to forget. Months later, I was hospitalized reaching for my life. I never mentioned the salmonella contamination or re-contamination but now I wonder if there was a connection. After eating at a local Mexican restaurant where I was one of the many contaminated with salmonella, many of my symptoms have returned. Praying it passes but it has been two weeks and nothing seems to be improving. Stomach cramps, nausea, diarrhea/green stools. Not sure if this is normal. But, now I feel there are two foods I don't ever want to eat again.

Father hospitalized in Oct. 2006 for salmonella. He was in hospital 3 different times for this and complications. He hired an attorney in Mar. 2007 for peanut butter. Called our local health depatment to see if we needed to have jars tested and was told to throw away and keep lids. Conagra and FDA said throw away and keep lids. Attorney sent medical records and info to Sedgwick(Conagra reps) and they have denied claim because we do not have the peanut butter to test and no way to prove thats what caused his salmonella because the hospital lab did not type the salmonella. ARE THEY KIDDING ME WITH THIS CRAP!!! So, now filing a lawsuit. Thought Conagra was going to take care of the customers?

Sick for months, reiters syndrome

My mother Mary Grice age 60 ate about half a jar of tainted peanut butter for a week, she suffered flu like symptoms and upon going to the emergency room was taken into surgery and had her gall bladder, appendicitis and part of her intestine removed due to an infection. The recall was not known until afterwards.

She died 4-25-07

My 66-year-old husband ate 3/4 of a jar of Peter pan peanut butter before we found out that there was a problem with it. We checked the jar and sure enough it had the code that showed it was bad. My husband did not feel well and never recovered from it. The doctor ran tests and put him on a heavy duty antibiotic.

As the mother of 4 young adults / teens ages 19, 18, 16, & 15. I was baffled as 2 why they were so sick. It seemed that they were passing along a virus of some sort. First 2 were sick and home from school, then the other 2, as they would feel better, they would have their favorite food (PB & J), then they would get sick again. While calling them out of school I mentioned 2 the school administrator that It was getting frustrating I could not get the symptoms to subside. Them missing several days from school, and me missing days from work I was at my wits end. Finally I saw the recall information on the news.

I rushed to the pantry to see if we had gotten a batch of bad peanut butter, and sure enough it was. After 3 and 1/2 containers of peanut butter, we finally had some clue as to what was causing this annoying problem. Although my children have not been to the doctor, since they stopped eating the peanut butter they have all gotten better. I still have my peanut butter wrapped and put away. I was told without a medical diagnosis from a stool sample there was nothing they would do except to refund the money spent on the peanut butter. So, I sit with my peanut butter in storage waiting to hear the latest news on this matter.

How do I know I can trust these reviews?

I was poisoned by the Walmart brand of peanut butter. I suffered 3 days of throwing up and severe stomach aches. I missed work and my stomach is still affected by this poisoning.

I missed work and continue to have stomach pains.

I am interested in what is happening with the re-called peanut butter from Con-Agra. 2 of my children became sick..one worse than the other. One threw up at school and one was out for almost a week. We thought it was the stomach flu..I still have the jar and the # on the lid is 21116301001951B.

I ate a peanut butter sandwich and got sick that day. I was sick for a week. I called my doctor and he prescribed medicine however, I was out of work for one week

I lost an entire week at work. I also have back problems so the severe vomiting caused my herniated disk to relapse causing me to lose even more time from work.

Why is Conagra recalling peanut butter products back to 2004? Because they were trying to cover up for themselves. I have written before and I wanted to let you know that my son Colby has had these symptons off and on for the last 1 1/2 years and he was also hospitalized. I couldn't understand about his constant headaches and complaining of his back hurting. Just wanted to spout out some anger towards Conagra again and I will NEVER buy any of their products again!!! I will be buying JIF peanut butter from now on.

I was sick for 2 days with fever/diarrhea and nausea,fatique. When I was watching the news sometime later, I listened to the peter pan peanut butter recall. We have a large commercial size bought at sam's club and it has the recall numbers. My daughter also has been sick off and on with fevers and gastric symptoms

I feel I should be reinbursed for my 2 12-hour shifts missed at the hospital due to being ill. My daughter has missed school from being ill.

I purchased Great Value Peanut Butter (Product Code starting with 2111...)in late January '07 and ate it in sandwiches thru about February 1, 2007, when I became ill with fever, diarrhea and abdominal pain. That condition continued for four days (thru a weekend), at which time I was able to see my doctor (it was a Monday). After examining me, he felt that I had some form of food poisoning. We discussed having a culture made, but I was scheduled to leave the country by Thursday so we agreed to skip that test. He prescribed Cipro, which, by Thursday, had cured the illness. A week or so later, the newspapers and TV covered the salmonella contamination issue of ConAgra Peanut Butter.

Confined to bed for about 4 days and was unable to work. Medical expenses were also incurred for the doctor visit.

Two years ago my daughter was in a peanut butter eating contest at a sports rally at her school.She had consumed a jar of peter pan peanut butter. After she came home from school she had severe vomiting and diarrhea. She ended up the emergency room on IV's for severe dehydration. After several weeks of dr visits I told her doctor I thought it was the peanut butter. He said peanut butter would not cause problems like this. She was never checked for food poisoning. She ended up having to have a upper scope done and put on stomach medicines. This cost me a lot of money. All of my family has had symptoms of GI illnesses because my brand of peanut butter was Peter Pan. I feel some of us have developed Reiter's Syndrome from this.

My daughter had been experiencing sharp stomach pains, and throwing up. My symptoms have been more severe, for 2 weeks straight, I suffered from cramping, and severe diarrhea. Never putting together that it was the peanut butter making us sick. I am worried that this might have some long term affect on both of us. My daughter has been sent home from school twice this week. She continues to have cramping and still throwing up. She will see the doctor tomorrow, and I will have her and I tested.

The peanut butter that was tainted killed my grandmother. My grandmother Rosie Haskins, 81, died Feb. 26, 2007. She had been sick for months with stomach cramps, vomiting, diahera, dehydration and an infection no one understood. Unfortunately, it was not until her death we found the peanut butter sitting in her bedroom almost half eaten. While she was in fact an older woman she was in great health and full of life and vigor. It is so sad that she had to lose her life at the hands of utter carelessness. I empathize with the other families and want this company to feel pain behind the lives lost and the people affected by this issue.

I became very sick after eating a couple of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches when I got home from school. I had uncontrollable diahhrea, vomiting, stomach cramps, and I was very lightheaded. I am a student in college so I also missed school and work because of this.

After consuming Great Value Peanut Butter with the product code beginning 2111 in late November 2006, I became violently ill with severe cramping, sweating and violent vomiting that required my hospitalization for two days.

I have 2 children, a boy aged 7 and a little girl aged 18 months. They are anemic and the doctor gave us a list of things they could eat to help, one of those things being peanut butter. I bought several jars of walmart brand peanut butter last year and since that time my children have constantly been sick for months. They vomited, had severe cramps, diarrhea. My son keeps complaining his stomach hurts, he had diarrhea constantly. My son was only 55 lbs, now he's around 49. My daughter was taken to the ER 2 times and every time we were told that it was a viral thing, it just had to run i's course, but it was highly contagious and to wash our hands.

We took the kids to the doctor several times. Then in February it was announced about the Salmonella poisioning, I looked on the jar of peanut butter in the cabinet and sure enough it began with the number 2111- that explained everything, because not only did my kids have the symptoms, but my husband and I had also had them without realizing it. We just thought it was the flu and would run its course. My son has not had an appetite since this has started. He will hardly eat anything. I'm wondering if he will ever get better.

I lost days of work, worrying and stress over why my kids were sick, not to mention the nights when they were up vomitting, having diarehha etc and why had I given them something that had harmed them and my whole family that was supposed to be ok. I question myself, why didn't I throw away the peanut butter when it smelt funny to me.

On 2/27/07 I went home for lunch and made myself a peanut butter sandwich. I returned to work as usual and around 5 pm started having a severe headache. After work I went home to lay down hoping I would wake up feeling refreshed and the headache would be gone. At 6:00 pm I woke up with stomach cramping, nausea and diarrhea. I took pepto-bismol but it didn't help at all. I started vomiting over and over. Around 8 pm I called a friend that's a nurse to see if she had any prescription anti-nausea medicine. She brought it over but I couldn't keep it down. I continued to vomit but this time it was blood I was spitting up.

She asked if I had eaten anything that could have given me food poisoning and I said No, all I've had today at all is a peanut butter sandwich. Immediately she went to my kitchen to check and it was the tainted peanut butter -- 2111!!

I continued to get worse and she took me to the Emergency Room. I'm glad I went when I did because at one point I was so dehydrated and sick I passed out in the middle of the waiting room. I was having stomach cramping, severe headaches, diarrhea, and vomiting. I spent most of the 2 hours waiting on the doctor in the bathroom. Once they got me on an IV and gave me medicine for nausea and the pain I started to do better. It has been 6 days since the trip to the ER and I've missed 3 days of work and I'm still not at 100%. I THOUGHT I was going to die. I haven't ever felt so sick in my life.

My family & i ate the great value peanut butter & got sick,for about 2 weeks we were instructed to throw the peanut butter away & did.

I ate Great Value Peanut Butter with the 2111 label on Monday 12 Feb and Tuesday 13 Feb. On Wednesday 14 Feb, I became ill... with vomiting, cramps, nausea, diarrhea, and extreme discomfort. My wife consulted a physician by phone (I was too sick to talk) and he prescribed an anti nausea medication. I was sick for 48 hours but the medication did stop the vomiting after only 8-10 hours.

The only economic consequences were the cost of the medication, and two days out of work which put me behind in duties requiring make up time on weekend.. but no monetary loss. I was weak for 5 to 6 days.

My daughter was sick off and on for two months with vomiting, diarrhea, stomach cramps and we had the 2111 peanut butter. I called the health department as instructed but they woult not test the peanut butter, saying it had to be a lab-confirmed case of food poisoning. I was told to call their 800 number and was told they would do nothing but throw out the peanut butter.

My dauther was very sick and went to two doctors and many tests with no results costing thousands of dollars and she missed a lot of school and is behind.

My 3 1/2 year old son developed severe diarrhea, expelling every 30-45 minutes, which lasted 4 days. His stomach cramps and fear of further sickness prevented eating much of anything except cold water (he wouldn't drink anything with pedialyte). Thinking it was just the flu, we monitored the sickness forcing liquids (water) to prevent dehydration. Into the third day I heard of the salmonella outbreak in Peter Pan Peanut Butter, a brand we use and my son loves to eat.

I checked the serial number on the lids and discovered the 2111 code on the open jar, and on two (2) additional unopened jars. We contacted our doctor to inform them of the possible salmonella contamination. My wife returned the two unopened jars of peanut butter, but I retained the opened container for evidence if an action is taken. I probably won't file suit, but I don't want to throw away proof.

I also discovered when informing my family of the contamination that my 64-year-old father suffered from severe diarrhea as well. The common link, both ate Peter Pan Peanut Butter with serial number 2111

The only loss, and thus the limitation to a legal recovery, is sickness to my son, loss of a day of work and the cost of the product. My son's appetite, however, has never recovered. Noah, my son, lost a few pounds, will not touch peanut butter and has half the appetite he once had. I am unsure of the long term effects of salmonella, and wonder if the bacteria may still be affecting his system

It started with severe abdominal pains then followed by fever. Went to hospital that night and was admitted. The whole time I was curled up in a fetal position with sever pains and running a temperature of 101.3. I begged for them to find out what was causing this pain. I just wanted it to stop. My family hurt as they sat there and watched without an explanation.

I have a medical bill in the thousands that might not be covered. I have lost two weeks of working pay . I will not look at Peter Pan Peanut Butter the same. My family and I went through a great deal while I was in hospital for four days. I don’t wish this on my worse enemy.

I have the Honey Roasted lot #2111 peanut butter which I ate 2/13/07. I went to the doctor for severe abdominal cramping and diarrhea, nausea, etc. He prescribed 2 different meds, and I am still suffering from this.

I bought a one pound 2 oz. jar of peter pan peanut butter in or around October. Every thing seemed great then I started getting sick alot.It was off and on.I was really sick for a while and just had no energy to work though i still did.and then I came down with pneumonia. It never seemed to go away but it finally did after heavy medication. Then I here about this 2111peanut butter thing and it all seemed to click.

I have a very hectic schedual. I babysit during the day and work at night. Being ill all the time from eating tainted peanut butter allmost killed me.

I purchased Peter Pan Peanut Butter from the Walmart. I have been eating it and not aware of the recall. It was brought to my attention about 3 weeks ago about the recall but I paid no attention to it because the emphasis was on it being in Georgia. Tonight, my wife heard the report again on the Nightly News and decided to check our jar of Peanut Butter. Low and behold the numbers were 21116252002154A.

For the past month or so I have been suffering from excruciating abdominal cramps on an intermittent basis. My wife thought maybe it was ulcers but not even an antacid would releive the pain. I was too stubborn to go to the doctor because the pain would eventually dissipate however it would return. Did not relate it to the Peanut Butter until tonight. At about 3pm today I started having the cramps again and laid down. When I got up my wife informed me of the possibility of having tainted PB. I ate from this jar Monday and Tuesday of this week.

i don't understand why they are saying nobody died from eating the contaminated peanut butter. My mother ate it and within hours she was vomiting, stomach cramps, diarrhea. She was admitted to the hospital on Dec 23, 2006. She steadily became worse and died Jan,10.2007. There is no doubt the peanut butter did it.

I lost my mother to peanut butter. They never checked her for salmonella because it wasn't released till it was too late

On February tenth I bought a jar of Creamy peanut butter ''Peter Pan''which is not very popular here in Colombia and in some way, sometimes it's exclusive only of good and recognize stores. I made the purchase at Carrefour Stores. I have a three-people family -- 'my daughter , my wife and I. My daughter is about to be 5 years old. She eats peanut butter and jelly sandwich quite often, but during the last week she presented Diarrhea Symptoms, so she stopped eating things that are sweet.

To my suprise i was watching CNN news in English when I heard that the FDA was warning consumers about the salmonella in Peter Pan peanut butter. And to add to this suprise the lid of the jar i still have has the number 21111, so i went inmediately to Carrefour to complain, they just gave me a phone number from the importer FEDCO, and i called them and they just said, if you aren`t in danger just have yourselves an examination of your own money at a local Lab. I think these people are not really interested in our health.

I have always purchased the Peter Pan brand of peanut butter, we eat a lot of this product,I have it in my house and work place for a quick pick-me-up

I ate from the product jars 2111 in Jan 2007 and within 4 or 5 hours I experienced severe stomach cramps, severe vomiting and diarrhea. This lasted for two full days. I live an hour away from any competant medical help, and frankly was too ill to go see the doctor.. I thought of foodborne illness, but couldn't pinpoint any risky food, like chicken, eggs, or uncooked anything. So I had no idea that the peanut butter that I had consumed could have been the culprit..I still have the jars.

I have 2 jars of this peanut butter with the serial # 2111.

Me, my husband and granddaughter have been getting sick off and on in the last 4 months, never thought anything about it until the recall on this peanut butter. I looked on the jars and they both begin with 2111. One jar is 3/4 gone, the other one I have not opened yet. I have the receipt where I bought it from Walmart here by my house.