3.99/5

83 Oscar Mayer Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 27, 2019

Oscar Mayer is a brand that I grew up with. Since I was a child I remember the name represented quality and wholesome goodness. As an adult, I've tried other brand for various reasons (price, availability, curiosity), but I have always return to the Oscar Mayer brand for consistency, quality and flavor. In our consumer products and services oriented society quality and value are # 1. The FDA ensures safety and consistency. The companies themselves are responsible for their reputation and variety. Every product I've tried for 40 years had been rich in flavor and the many other qualities that has made the brand a staple in my refrigerator.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I cook all my bacon in a iron skillet in the oven. It comes out perfect every time. I sometimes use the center cut and sometimes the thick cut. This brand always cooks the same, crispy and crunchy not fatty and stringy. This brand taste delicious.

Get expert buying tips about Bacon Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I love the taste of Oscar Mayer bacon and the way it cooks up so crispy. It has a nice taste and I have been buying it for over twenty years. I would love if they would make another cut of bacon a little thicker than the one they have out now as their thicker cut.

Original review: March 17, 2019

When I cook up a package of Oscar Mayer bacon I know exactly what I'm getting. The consistency of each piece, as well as the flavor, are always the same: perfect! I can count on crisp bacon that is not too fatty coming from a package that cooks up evenly.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I have tried multiple brands of bacon but I always come back to Oscar Mayer wondering why I ever left. I find it always has good meat versus fat ratios, and it doesn't hide the meat up front and back it with 75% fat behind like some brands. I like its consistent flavor, and it's not as salty as some brands either.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Oscar Mayer?

Original review: April 21, 2019

Not like it was years ago. I no longer purchase Oscar Mayer bacon. During the past year the bacon smells terrible, isn't packaged in even strips, is very fatty, and tastes bad. Additionally, the price is ridiculously high for an inferior product. Don't buy it even if it's on sale.

Original review: March 27, 2019

The hotdog package always leaks, there is always a hole between the seal, and the plastic. All y'all obviously care about is poor product quality, and put a dollar ahead of people's health. ** yall...

Original review: March 16, 2019

I only buy Oscar Mayer bacon, preferably thick cut, although I try to buy it on sale because it is more expensive than other brands. It consistently tastes the best, shrinks less and cooks evenly. I love it!

Original review: March 8, 2019

I'm a long time buyer of OM thick cut bacon. In the last several months I no longer get thick bacon, even though it is printed on the package. I get a poor brand of bacon that is less than regular cut and shrinks a LOT because there is so much fat. Since Kraft foods has purchased OM the quality has plummeted. The taste has been affected as well compared to the OM bacon of the past. Very, very disappointed and will be looking for a different brand from now on.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Today we bought a three pound box of Oscar Mayer bacon. When we got home and opened the box the two packages in back of the front were 90% fat! I have never seen such horrible bacon in my life. We intend to return it if the store will even take back this garbage. So sad bacon cost more than chicken cutlets and 90% fatty white bacon. Not acceptable to even eat.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I have avoided eating food containing added sodium nitrate and nitrite for decades, because I have done a lot of research, and I truly believe added nitrates and nitrites are unhealthy and likely cause cancers. That said, I have been impressed with Oscar Mayer removing nitrates and nitrites from many of their products. But the other day, I bought some of their turkey bacon for a recipe, and after making a whole tray of egg bites with organic eggs and cheese, I realized that the turkey bacon contained sodium nitrate for curing. Bait and switch. Sodium Nitrates and Nitrites render a food non-organic, which should tell us something to begin with. Most commercial turkey bacon does not contain nitrates or Nitrites. Since so many people opt for turkey bacon to make a healthy choice, why would Oscar Mayer add Sodium Nitrate? Why do it at all when we are pretty sure of the dangers???

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I contacted Oscar Mayer about their 8 strips of "Fully Cooked Thick Cut Bacon" being paper-thin and tasting bad (tastes like salted greasy cardboard), 8 thin strips packed inside a big 50 cubic inch box. They apologized about the quality saying it was not to their standards but said nothing at first about the packaging and are sending a coupon. Their email didn't address all the empty space inside the box.

I had to ask again about the packaging. (The box the product comes in has a ridiculous amount of empty space inside, 50 cubic inches of cardboard and graphics around 8 tiny strips.) They replied a second time that "At this time, we haven't had enough consumer demand to justify the production of additional sizes of this product, but, if consumer interest increases, you may one day find this product available in other sizes."

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

We love the flavor of Oscar Mayer bacon. Lately, we've noticed a significant decline in their quality control. What used to be what I call "standard" sized bacon strips have now become bacon "strings". They're not even an inch wide. A couple weeks ago, I complained to Oscar Mayer (Kraft Foods) about their Deli Honey Ham being too salty to eat. They sent me coupons to buy more of their product. No thanks. I'm going to start buying the more expensive, but much higher quality, Boar's Head meats.

Original review: June 21, 2018

Oscar Mayer has always been the only brand of bacon I bought. I have noticed in this past year that the bacon has more and more fat in it. It has changed the taste because it has more and more fat in it. It doesn't even taste like bacon. I see that other company's are doing the same thing. I poured 3/4 cups of bacon fat from cooking from a 16 oz package this morning. That did it, I am through with buying bacon until not only Oscar Mayer but other company's stop with this poor job of butchering. I wish you would sell to the public the same bacon you sell to restaurants.

Original review: May 23, 2018

When I was a boy Dad insisted on buying Oscar Mayer Bacon because it had the most lean and only enough fat to make it good and it fried up nice. NOW it is 98% fat and very little lean with both the full pack and Center Cut. I'm not buying it anymore!!!

Original review: April 30, 2018

Living in a small town makes selection of styles of bacon limited but OM always offers good quality. Price sometimes is a little high compared to off-brands but is worth every penny.

Original review: March 1, 2018

Oscar and I have been good friends now for more years than I care to count. In a blind taste test I could pick out Oscar 10 out of 10 times. It is the perfect flavor of bacon for pancakes, grits and my Swiss cheese and bacon burger. With the price of it lately, I don't eat it as much as I use to, but I still love.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I like many others have noticed that your line of hot dogs have changed in the last year, and frankly they are no longer a favorite in my house. I grew up eating OM Hot Dogs, and now not only do they taste different, they also look, and cook different. You claim that you eliminated nitrates by using celery salt now, but celery salt contains nitrates, so all you did was made them taste awful, and no health advantage was made by doing so. The outer skin, I guess you would call it, is also a different texture now, and the dogs cook up differently, they're just no good! Maybe you could give consumers a choice like Pepsi ended up doing with their Diet Pepsi, have an original, and the newer ones both in markets, and let us decide what we want to spend our money on, you can bet your ** it would be the old recipe that would be once again bought, at least in my house!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

This product is good, however I find that it is not quite consistent in providing the crispness I desire in my bacon. Overall it is a good addition to sandwiches.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I love Oscar Mayer bacon and I feel that this brand is one of the best. 90 percent of the time it cooks just right but I do notice that from time to time the cut of the bacon is not always right. Sometimes this do not allow it to cook as well as it should.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I've been using this product (Naturally hardwood smoked bacon) for over 42 years. I've noticed in the last 6mos the quality is off for the last 6mos. I buy about 3 packs, of the 16 oz and every pack after cooking some had to throw it away. It doesn't cook or taste like it used to. It reminds you of salt pork or butcher's cut bacon. I broke a tooth on it about a week ago. I'm done. I've complained waiting on a response. If a response or resolution is not done soon I'm sure Congressman Trey Howdy would like to look into this because it's a lot of your other products as well when I go into the stores. Now your products are stacked. If you pull a few back some are molded. People are not buying the product in my area as much.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

We have used the natural, no preservative bacon for years and have had no issues of flavor or safety. It is consistently good and we appreciate no artificial additives.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

It's a very good tasting bacon that is perfect by itself or on a sandwich. I really enjoy that it doesn't have much fat on it and that you can create delicious dishes with it. I would like it to come in more flavors though.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

To my taste, OM has the best tasting turkey bacon. Since I stopped eating pork, it fills the hunger for bacon. Since "regular" bacon has sky-rocketed in price, it is also markedly less expensive. Only improvement would be non-use of nitrates.

Original review: July 11, 2017

After opening a package of Oscar Mayer chicken lunch meat I found a pile of ground up foreign matter. I just can't believe that this was over looked. What kind of inspection protocols do they stand by.

Original review: July 6, 2017

I grew up in Wisconsin that was until recently the home of Oscar Mayer meat products. These products were a trusted brand and wherever I have moved in the United States and Canada, I have purchased them. However, I've noticed, since the purchase of Oscar Mayer by Kraft and, especially since the move of headquarters to Chicago, product quality and taste has changed drastically. Obviously, taste is subjective but the first indication of change was the loss of smoke flavouring in Oscar Mayer Hot Dogs and a change in the casing material to something that resemble plastic. More recently, Oscar Mayer Hard Salami appeared on the shelves with the sliced meat fitting loosely in the packaging and thin layer of white congealed fat at the bottom - I have never seen anything like that.

Then, approximately two months ago, Oscar Mayer Braunschweiger 8 oz. packages appeared on my local grocery's shelves with an unusual "quirk" in the packaged product - items with the same lot #, all listed as 8 oz. weight, were noticeably different in length by 1/4" to nearly 3/4" with no difference in the diameter of the package. It's like product taste and production quality control have gone out the window - I no longer purchase Oscar Mayer products.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

In January 2017 Oscar Mayer changed their regular bacon. It is now much wider slices, so there are about 12 in a 1 lb package instead of the old 18. One piece was always the perfect size for wrapping 3 hotdog pieces for an appetizer. Okay, they want to eat the same 3 rashers, but that's about 50% more. But, the REALLY horrible thing is this taste. It now tastes VERY SMOKY -- something I do not want in bacon. Even the fat smells very smoky. (I save my fat, freeze it and then cook with it. Today, it smelled horrid.)

Original review: Sept. 22, 2016

I've been a lifelong fan of Oscar Mayer bacon, but not so much anymore. I've noticed for quite some time that the "Thick Cut" has gone from a decent thickness back down to their old "Normal Cut". I just opened a package the other day and the "Thick Cut" bacon was about the thickness of Prosciutto. There now seems to be no difference between the "Thick Cut" or "Normal Cut". Very dissatisfied with the direction Oscar Mayer is going with these cuts.

Original review: March 17, 2016

Oscar Mayer Butcher Thick Cut Hickory Smoked - I prefer thick cut bacon because it is usually less fatty and bakes to a more even meaty texture rather than being either too soft or getting too crispy/crumbly. The hickory smoke flavor also goes well with the brown sugar/cayenne mixture I like to bake on my bacon. I generally split my shopping between Reasor's (for produce and meat) and the Neighborhood Walmart nearest me (for non-perishables and dry goods).

Since for my family, bacon is usually an impulsive meal choice, and Reasor's is further away, I tend to get my bacon fix at the Neighborhood Walmart, which rarely changes the products it stocks. So I haven't had an issue so far. Brown sugar and cayenne mixed together and patted on the raw bacon! Also good is a little pinch of bourbon in there. Considering how cheap pork is to produce, I feel like bacon pricing has gotten a bit out of hand, but since it's an occasional treat and not a staple for our family, it's never been an issue.

Original review: March 17, 2016

I typically get just the regular variety because I often use bacon when making New England clam chowder. Regular flavor works best in this soup. The 2 grocery stores I use always have the bacon because it's a popular brand. If it became unavailable, I'd request it from the store manager. Fried on the stove top. Don't cook it on a too high heat. It will burn and smoke. I typically flip it several times to make sure it doesn't get too brown on each side. Life is too short to deny yourself occasional bacon. It's not something I have every day or week, so I don't care about the cost. Bacon is great for many treats not just breakfast. Even the pre-cooked bacon is good especially if you are in a hurry first thing in the morning. I do typically fry bacon for sandwiches or soup, not breakfast.

Oscar Mayer expert review by Jim Angelus

Founded in 1883, Oscar Mayer is one of the longest continually running meat companies in America. Its meat products, especially bacon selections, are easily found at virtually any food market.

• A time-honored brand: Oscar Mayer is a leader in the meat industry, and consumers know what to expect.

• A bacon jerky option: Those who love jerky and bacon have a reason to celebrate.

• Classic thick cuts: Oscar Mayer features a plethora of thick cut bacon selections, including hickory and applewood smoked.

• Other options besides pork: Oscar Mayer turkey bacon is reasonably priced and widely available.

• Uncured choices: This is good news for those looking to avoid nitrites.

• Best for: Bacon lovers who want a reasonable price, those who like making BLT sandwiches and those in need of healthy alternatives to traditional bacon.

Profile picture of Jim Angelus
Jim Angelus Bacon Contributing Editor

Jim Angelus has 25 plus years of restaurant experience, and he brings this experience to his food truck. Bacon Bacon is a place where foodies and bacon lovers generally can find mouthwatering meals in a friendly atmosphere. Jim opened his food truck in 2010. It is now a popular bay area food truck and sandwich shop, open seven days a week for breakfast and lunch. Bacon Bacon has appeared on Food Network, CNN and Discovery Network. Most important to Jim, he has a successful business that allows him participate in the industry he is most passionate about and be home in time to put dinner on his family’s table.

Oscar Mayer Company Information