Niman Ranch

Compare Bacon Brands

Research top Bacon Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I have been buying Niman Ranch bacon for over a year. We are really nerdy, picky bacon lovers, and probably eat way too much of it, but hey, you only live once. Everyone should eat nitrate free if they can afford it. It cooks perfect in the oven, and it's just the right thickness. It's expensive, but it has 2 more ounces per package than some of the other nitrate free bacon, so it evens out.

Smoked. It just taste better. I will go to jons, food 4 less, vons & neighborhood markets smart and final to find what I am looking for. If not Well I just go without. I like to use Pepper, rosemary and thyme. I like to cook out in the microwave. It comes out better that way but then there are times frying is great too. Bacon had gotten very expensive. I am thinking of smoking my own. The marbling isn't as great as it use to be like when I was a child.

Smoked bacon is my favorite as it has the best taste. I just place it in a pan and roast it. You may flip it eventually but no need to. It tastes great crispy or not. The whole family enjoys it.

I like smokey, sweet & peppery. I know I can get my favorite one at Whole Foods, and certain restaurants serve it. But it would be nice to have it more readily available. I cook mine on an electric griddle. I find that this gives me the ability to cook it flat, without the ends curling, and gives me a nice balance of chewy and crispy parts. There's nothing that would keep me from my bacon. Don't you dare try to come between me and my bacon - you wouldn't like me without my bacon.

Good old fashioned smoked bacon. It's a classic. My grocer stocks Niman Ranch Bacon. I've not had a problem finding it there. Line the pan with heavy duty foil for easy cleanup. Preheat to 400. Cook 10 minutes and turn. Adjust cooking time to thickness of bacon.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Niman Ranch?

Plain ole smoked is fine. For fancy, nothing beats Ina Garten's bacon appetizer recipe, it's like candy. Completely off the charts! I like lots of lean.

Baked in the oven. 400 degrees. Deep pan. Flip once or twice before pulling them out, it always depends on how each individual bacon strip is cooking.

Peppered & applewood. I like the kick of the peppered. I'm very lucky. I live one block from a Molly Stone that carries several types of bacon. Usually I buy it at Costco. They actually carry the Niman Ranch. I also shop at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods... so I have a lot of choices. Lately I've been using the microwave. One minute per slice. It's very convenient for me, especially when I'm throwing together a salad or doing a frittata. I usually only have 1-2 strips at home, the reason being that I'm adding it to a salad or a scramble, omelette, or frittata. It's the flavor that makes it good to cook with.

Expert Review

Jim AngelusBacon Contributing Editor

Jim Angelus has 25 plus years of restaurant experience, and he brings this experience to his food truck. Bacon Bacon is a place where foodies and bacon lovers generally can find mouthwatering meals in a friendly atmosphere. Jim opened his food truck in 2010. It is now a popular bay area food truck and sandwich shop, open seven days a week for breakfast and lunch. Bacon Bacon has appeared on Food Network, CNN and Discovery Network. Most important to Jim, he has a successful business that allows him participate in the industry he is most passionate about and be home in time to put dinner on his family‚Äôs table.    More about Jim→

Niman Ranch is a food company with a focus on selling all-natural bacon and other meats raised by family farmers in a humane and sustainable manner. Niman Ranch began in the 1970s on a small ranch and now works with a large network of sustainable farmers and ranchers in the United States.

• Strict raising protocols: All pigs are raised in a natural outdoor environment or deeply embedded pen.
  • No hormones or antibiotics: Niman Ranch promises this guarantee will never be broken.
  • A healthy diet: Hogs are fed a 100% vegetarian diet, as nature intended.
  • Award-winning hogs: Bacon products from Niman Ranch are from Berkshire, Duroc and Chester White pigs, all of which are praised for having delicious taste.
  • Sustainable practices: Buyers can rest assured knowing their purchase came from an environmentally-aware farm that treats pigs right.
  • Best for Restaurant owners who only want to serve natural and high-quality bacon, and those who do not want bacon filled with additives and preservatives.

Compare Bacon Brands