Find the Best Meal Delivery Services
Compare Top Meal Delivery Service Reviews
Read 5,658 Reviews
Up to $80 off + free shipping on 1st order.
Offers meal plan kits for at-home delivery. Choose from four categories: Classic, Vegetarian, Family-Friendly and Low Calorie. Customize plan preference and plan size. Meals starting at $7.49 per serving.
Read 11 Reviews
Delivers prepackaged meals for weight loss starting at $121.99 a week. Expect to lose 1 to 3 pounds each week. Provides vegetarian, diabetic and keto options. Meal programs for weight loss include diet analysis and coaching.
Read 50 Reviews
Get 25% Off + Free Shipping on Your First Week
Offers meal delivery plans for weight loss starting at around $100 per week. Select from five- and seven-day programs or customize your own. Programs include support and guidance from a dietician.
|Chef V||Read 7 Reviews|
Offers juice detoxes, juice cleanses and detox soups. Juices are vegan, organic and gluten-free. Prioritizes the consumption of seven Super Green veggies. Available in 31 states on the East and West coasts.
Read 335 Reviews
Enjoy ready-to-eat meals starting at $8.99/meal when you order 12 meals per week. You can also order 4, 6 or 9 meals per week. Meals are pre-portioned and ready to heat and eat. Gluten- and peanut-free facility and meals.
|Home Chef||Read 213 Reviews|
Headquartered in Chicago, Home Chef provides all customers need to cook restaurant-quality meals for two, four or six people in 30 minutes or less. The company caters for vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free and dairy-free diets.
Read 360 Reviews
Blue Apron provides fresh, pre-portioned ingredients and seasonal recipes through its two-person and family meal plans. The company also offers a monthly wine subscription service that delivers wines to complement its meals.
Read 113 Reviews
Schwans is a direct-to-home food delivery service that got its start in 1952. It has over 4,000 sales and distribution centers across the United States and over 4,500 delivery trucks that deliver its frozen food brands.
|Personal Trainer Food|
Read 126 Reviews
Delivers prepackaged meals for weight loss starting at around $19 a day. Weight reduction program includes guidance from diet coaches and community support groups. Typical weight loss is 2 to 4 pounds a week.
|Send a Meal|
Read 11 Reviews
Send a Meal has been delivering individual foods and fully prepared, gourmet meals to customers nationwide since 2004. Located in Austin, Texas, the company offers a best price and 100 percent satisfaction guarantee.
What to consider before choosing a meal delivery service
The price of a meal or plan is a major factor for most consumers when choosing a meal delivery service. Prices vary from vendor to vendor but usually fall between $8 to $10 per person per meal.
- Discounts for order size: Most services offer discounts on larger orders. This means if you purchase a monthly or weekly plan, you are more likely to receive discounted prices than if you purchase meals individually.
- Shipping: Many services provide free or discounted shipping if certain requirements are met, such as if the order is over a certain dollar amount or if the customer purchases a monthly meal plan.
Many meal-delivery services offer their meals based on a plan. This means that you receive multiple meals at once for a flat fee.
- Frequency: The frequency with which you need to order depends on what type of plan you have. Some services offer weekly plans, while others offer meals as a package for an entire month.
- Meals per day: Many plans give you the option of how many meals you want per day. You can choose from dinner-only options to three-meal options with snacks included.
Some meal services are catered to specific weight-loss plans or even dietary restrictions, which can be especially helpful for people who live far from larger grocery stores.
- Weight loss: Weight-loss plans include meals of specific portions and food types that are designed to help the customer lose weight.
- Restrictive diets: You can find meal plans that are friendly toward diabetics or those with other dietary restrictions, such as gluten-free or organic.
Meal-delivery services often offer customization options to give more flexibility and control to the customer.
- Meal swapping: For customers who are purchasing a monthly or weekly plan, the customer chooses a pre-made plan, but can swap out meals or portions of a meal and replace them with their preferred dishes so that they only receive foods they enjoy. Food services that sell meals individually will often let customers swap out the included side dishes or desserts as well.
- Create your own plan: This option allows customers to pay the flat fee of a plan but choose all their own meals, rather than have them chosen by the service.
Frozen or fresh
Meal-delivery services typically ship their food frozen, but some offer fresh food, either for you to heat up or cook yourself.
- Frozen: Since many meal plans are month-long plans, the food is generally frozen for convenience, longevity and freshness.
- Fresh: Fresh (non-frozen) meals are available from some services. The prices for these meals are generally a little higher, and they can only be purchased individually or on a weekly plan.
Some vendors require a weekly or monthly commitment, while others do not.
- Commitment: This option requires customers to commit to a weekly or monthly plan that is automatically renewed.
- Non-commitment: This option means that customers only order when they want to order, and they are not charged until they place an order at the time of their choosing.
What are different types of meal delivery services?
This is the most common type of meal-delivery service. It offers meals that are specially portioned and designed so that customers are able to meet their weight-loss goals.
This option provides meals that are compatible with a paleo diet. This means that meals are generally high in protein and gluten-free.
Gluten-free plans cater to those with celiac disease and gluten sensitivities. Meals may be prepared in a nondedicated facility, however.
Some meal services provide diabetic-friendly meals. These foods are low in sugar to help diabetics maintain consistent blood-sugar levels.
Some services offer meals for special occasions such as holidays or family events. Rather than a plan, these are a one-time purchase designed to feed a number of people rather than an individual.
Some services ship fresh ingredients, along with a recipe. Customers then cook their own meals.
Who can benefit from a meal delivery service?
This group of consumers is actively trying to lose weight, and meal-delivery services can help make the process easier. The preplanned meals are designed to be balanced and healthy so that consumers don't have to worry about counting calories or determining a food's nutritional value.
Some people's schedules do not leave them with much time to cook or prepare meals, and hiring a personal chef may not be financially viable. For these customers, meal-delivery services are helpful as they provide meals in advance that can be reheated or cooked whenever they prefer.
People with restrictive diets
For people with diabetes, gluten sensitivities or other restrictive dietary needs, some meal-delivery services offer foods that cater to these individual needs. This makes meal planning simpler because consumers do not have to come up with new meal ideas or wonder about a meal's compatibility with their health restrictions.
Meal delivery service FAQ
- Can you lose weight with meal delivery?
- Yes, a meal delivery service makes it easier to lose weight. The service provides you with healthy food options that taste good, which makes it simple to stick with a diet. When you enjoy the food that’s part of your diet, losing weight becomes less challenging and more rewarding.
- Are there any meal delivery services for one person?
- Yes, there are several meal delivery services for one person. For instance, some services offer food for only one person each night. Opting for a single-meal service guarantees you get only the amount of food you need.
- Is there a meal delivery service for diabetics?
- Yes, diabetics can order special meal delivery services designed for their dietary considerations. If you visit the website of a reputable meal prep company, it should offer options for several different types of diets. Be sure to order a plan that’s diabetic-friendly.
- What temperature would you reject a delivery of frozen food?
- If you order meal delivery, your food must be kept at a safe temperature. This means that all high-risk foods need to arrive chilled or frozen.
- Chilled food should be no warmer than 41 degrees.
- Frozen food should be completely frozen when it arrives.
If you have reason to believe that the food is warmer than it should be, call the meal delivery company.
- When was food delivery invented?
- Food delivery is not a new concept. In 1889, chef Raffaele Esposito delivered his pizza in person to King Umberto I of Italy and Queen Margherita of Savoy, starting the now popular trend. The trend evolved, and people eventually had the opportunity to order a long list of foods for delivery. However, it wasn’t until 2007 that meal kits started to gain popularity.
- Are frozen meals bad for you?
- No, frozen meals are only bad for you if they aren’t healthy. When you order frozen meals from a meal service, you get high-quality food that is healthy and delicious. Many people use frozen meals as an effective way to lose weight or live a healthier lifestyle.
Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to our newsletter!
Compare Top Meal Delivery Service Reviews
|Top Chef Meals|
Read 9 Reviews
Based in New York, Top Chef Meals offer nutritious, chef-prepared meals with no chemicals, preservatives or trans fats. Meals are hand-plated by professional chefs and delivered to customers throughout the eastern U.S.
A meal kit delivery subscription service. Offers full meals with recipes delivered weekly. Specializes in specific diets, including plant-based, keto and paleo. Uses sustainably-sourced and certified organic ingredients.
Offers local delivery from restaurants, grocery stores and other shops. Order through the Postmates app. Delivery fees start at $0.99. Available in all 50 states.
Online grocery store specializing in high-quality, organic food and home products. Buy online, delivered to your door. Search food by specialty diet. Membership cost starts at $5/month.
|Healthy Chef Creations||Read Author Review|
Healthy Chef Creations has been delivering fresh, gourmet prepared meals without chemicals, pesticides or additives nationwide since 2001. The company offers all-inclusive Meal Programs and an À La Carte Menu.
|MagicKitchen.com||Read Author Review|
MagicKitchen offers healthy, chef-prepared meals created using fresh, high-quality ingredients sourced within the U.S. Meals are flash-frozen and shipped nationally from the company's distribution center in Kansas.
|Plated||Read Author Review|
Founded in 2012, Plated is a subscription service that provides fresh, seasonal ingredients and chef-designed recipes. The company ships from California, New York, Florida and Illinois, and delivers to 95 percent of the U.S.
Information in this guide is general in nature and is intended for informational purposes only; it is not legal, health, investment or tax advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from its use.
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.