3.49/5

266 Lipton Tea Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 21, 2019

I have used Lipton tea bags for 45 years but have recently noticed change. Black tea horrible, regular tea has no taste, Iced tea turns milky after you put in fridge, and the tea bags break open very very easily. I have to strain after brewing. I have decided to change brands.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I have been reading reviews about leaky tea bags. All similar to my experience. But I did not see any answers to the problem. I have been straining the bags through a filter. It does not affect the taste but is inconvenient. I have always used Lipton and will continue hoping that this problem is worked out. Just bought my new larger cold brew tea bags for summer ice tea. Thanks for your consideration. Judy **

Get expert buying tips about Food Products delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 28, 2019

I’ve been having so many issues with my tea bags breaking. My sister was here for a visit. She wanted some tea. Normally I keep Tetley here for her and I ran out. Asked her if she wanted some Lipton, and she said, "Yeah." Ended up making four separate cups because the first three bags broke in the cup during heating. She said that’s one of the reasons she switched to Tetley. I’ve been having the same issues with the bags. Guess I’ll become a Tetley drinker too now!

Original review: April 16, 2019

I write this with the greatest displeasure. I don't like slandering a company that has brought me much joyful moments. I enjoyed to represent them wearing the free sunglasses Lipton would give out during festivals. Not anymore. I used to enjoy a Lipton Ice Tea every day, it was the perfect delicious refreshing beverage for any occasion. It used to have sugar. It still has sugar, but more than half of the sugar has been replaced by Sweetener (Steviol Glycosides). The taste is absolutely ruined. I never found a new drink to fully satisfy me.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Lipton has gone DOWNHILL with this new Black Tea. It's horrible! I like other have only used Lipton for years and finally after the nasty taste and bags that leak tea grounds I switched to another brand. All of my kids and friends are doing the same! My relatives as far back as I can remember used Lipton and can't imagine why they could even consider changing it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lipton Tea?

Original review: April 4, 2019

Very easy to tell they changed tea and bags. The new bags leak tea leaves into the tea. I am wasting tea by dumping it. Will switch brands when this three pack is gone. I am betting they went to biodegradable materials. It does not work for tea bags. Yuck.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Drank Lipton for over 50 years, they flood the market with this Black Tea. All the retailers I've gone to only offer this type. Drinking this stuff actually gives me a queasy stomach!!! Lipton, HOW DARE YOU.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I drink Lipton decaf tea and my husband drinks the regular tea. The tea leaves often come out of the decaf bag...yuck! This doesn't happen with the regular tea bags. Are the decaf bags not sealed properly?

Original review: March 14, 2019

Like others, I’ve been drinking Lipton Tea, exclusively, since I was very young. Recently I’ve decided to revisit my tea indulgence, and bought a big box of Lipton. Expecting that distinctive flavor I so craved, I was horrified to find, not only was it gone, but there is no flavor at all! What in blue blazes was the impetus to totally remove their distinction among teas? I’ve since donated my big box of Liptons and needless to say won’t buy it again - oh what I’d give to have the comfort of that flavor I’d so missed!

Original review: March 12, 2019

I don't know what happened but this new tea flavor is not even recognizable, nor is it pleasant. I've been drinking Lipton for 20 years, ever since it was discovered that coffee gave me reflux. I usually get the packages with three containers of 100 at Costco but recently ran out so got one off the shelf at Target. I can barely tolerate it and am afraid to go make a larger purchase at Costco to re-stock. I thought it was one bad box but now that I read these reviews apparently I'm not the only one. Also I agree with the folks who complained about the floating tea, that escapes the tea bags... My last few months have been like that. I can tolerate that but not this icky taste.

Original review: March 11, 2019

Hey! Like everyone else totally* disappointed in taste of the new black*tea. Years of using Lipton and today decided this is the last* box of Lipton for me. Every morning wondering what's wrong with this tea. Tastes like toilet water smells! Strange* scent and using two* tea bags for any* flavor* at all. Something really wrong* with this product. Glad I found other customers with same opinion as was unsure if my senses had an issue. Tea is not even clear but cloudy. Enough of wasting my money and possibly health by their ingredients! Shame, shame, shame Lipton!!!

Original review: March 8, 2019

I have been a daily tea drinker for 50+ years. I use decaf bags and in recent purchases every box I buy the tea tastes like ant spray. It’s (how insecticides smell) the tea tastes. I’m on the 4th box and will have to throw it away. Lipton needs to do a quality check if the source of this tea is not being checked for insecticides. Something is hugely wrong. I see other posts complaining the same (bad taste.)

Original review: March 6, 2019

Exploding tea bags/no more regular tea: I've been drinking Lipton tea for a long time. I liked the regular tea but for the last 2 months or so, I can't find the regular tea box for 100 bags. Instead all I find are the boxes for Black Tea. I don't care for Black Tea... What have you done with the regular tea? Is there a new packaging for it? If so, I can't even find that. The last time I was able to buy the box of 100 tea bags, 25 to a thin cardboard container in gold foil, the tea had a way different taste than I've ever had before. What have you done to your tea? Guess it's time to switch to another brand that has each tea bag in its own envelope. Or, I guess I will be drinking more coffee!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

As I have just read, others have had the same NEW experience of the leaves showing up in my brewed tea cup as I have. I have enjoyed Lipton Tea for many years, however this experience is not pleasant, & it's not every bag. I may have to switch brands if I don't see an improvement soon. Also, I am not happy with the new packaging & since it doesn't keep the tea in the bags, what's the purpose??

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

I have been a tea drinker for 40+ years, usually Lipton. Recently, I have been experiencing Lipton tea bags opening up at the seam during brewing. I contacted Lipton and Unilever (Lipton’s parent company). I told them I suspected a change in their production/packaging process to save money. They responded stating they had changed part of their process to make it more environmentally friendly. If that were true, they would have made the change public instead of using it as an excuse once complaints begin arriving. As I responded to them... tea is tea. Respond to them by altering your product loyalty. They may listen to a loss of revenue.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I have been drinking Lipton Tea for over 50 years daily. And I'm not sure what you changed but the last two boxes I bought were horrible in taste. Even my boys noticed in my sweet tea. And the 2 out of every 3 bags break. I thought it was just a fluke so I bought another box and it was the same way. I'm sorry to say I will be switching brands.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I’ve been drinking Lipton tea several times a day for the last 35 years or so. However, I just purchased my last box. The change in taste is unbearable. I thought I had a bad batch, but the taste is bad with every box. I also notice the taste change around the time the box changed. I also no longer see Orange Pekoe. The box use to say Black tea/Orange Pekoe. I too will be switching to a store generic brand.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I have been a Lipton tea drinker for over forty years and my children also love Lipton. However the gold sleeve wrap makes the tea stale. So I decided to buy bulk at Sam's Club because they sell the individual ones because of restaurant use. But lately the black tea has an awful taste and the bags explode. They are losing loyal customers because they cheaply made these tea bags. So disappointed.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I would have reviewed long ago if I had seen this site. I have been very disappointed with the gold foil trays that were instituted by Lipton. I have been a very long time consumer of Lipton tea. The removal of the paper envelopes enclosing each tea bag is VERY UNSANITARY! These trays make it impossible for each person to take one bag out without touching the surrounding bags. I was so concerned about this, that I did not put the bags out when I invited guests over. THIS IS A SERIOUS HEALTH CONCERN. I have been using other brands of tea and will continue to do so until there is a return to better and acceptable packaging.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Since Lipton Tea changed to the gold sleeves, the tea is tasteless & quite a few bags break. I have been a daily Lipton tea all my life. Right now I have two bags in my cup just so it would have some flavor. I don't think I can buy another box.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Seems like this whole batch of teabags in this box are faulty, almost every cup I have dump, don't like floaties. I started to put a new staple in the top of every bag I use, this has helped the problem, but shouldnt have to do this. FIX THE PROBLEM FOLKS!!!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Been a Lipton Tea drinker for 45+ years. Come from a family of tea drinkers. Recently I've had more tea bags explode in the last 2 months than I've had in a whole lifetime. Nothing worse than a mouthful of tea leafs in the morning. Hope Lipton is working on a fix, because I can't have that.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Ever since Lipton changed from the individually wrapped tea bags to the Golden Sleeves, it has been a HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT! I continued to buy it because I was hoping beyond hope that the Lipton makers would realize that they made a huge mistake based on the negative reviews and change it back. Well... Since it has never happened and now seems to be more blah than ever, I have bought my last box. I don't know who they think they are kidding by putting "New And Improved" on the box. Should read "Cheaper To Make and New Blah Taste!!!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

Have only been using Lipton Tea Bags. I love hot tea but over the last year or so, the tea bags burst and I have to use a strainer and hence have to reheat. Use to get the 312 pack at our local Costco but it has stopped carrying it. HEB local grocers have the 'not individually wrapped' type. So I ordered through Amazon but the problems persist. Lipton, please revert back to the old style packaging of the bag which doesn't break open.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I am 66 years old and I have been drinking Lipton Tea since I was a child. The one thing I loved about Lipton Tea was the wonderful aroma of the tea bags. No other tea had that distinct aroma and flavor. I am so disappointed with Lipton Tea now. The aroma is gone and so is the taste. I will be looking for a new brand.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I have been using Lipton tea bags for 50 years. Since the packaging has changed and the bags are no longer individually wrapped, I now experience broken bags about 95% of the time. Most break as soon as the water is poured. This is a big problem, and needs to be looked at by Lipton.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I have been drinking Lipton Tea my entire life and over the past few months I have noticed that I go through several tea bags to make one cup of tea because I have leaves floating in my cup. I will be searching for another tea bag from another company, I am done writing to customer service to only get a coupon for another box to only be further disappointed.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I have purchased and enjoyed drinking Lipton tea for well over sixty years. Lately the tea bags from the yellow box hot/cold use tea have been bursting with little or no effort from using a spoon to remove them from the cup. My husband is a machinist by trade, and we compared these newer teabags with old ones, and he thinks it is in the width of the seam, which is much narrower than the old version. The bag doesn't even need to be used with boiling water, just warm tap water, and the bag self destructs at the seam. Hopefully this problem will be corrected sooner and not later. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

About 1 out of 4 of these 4 pound lemon sweetened iced tea mixes that I buy has this repulsive burnt taste to it. I buy at least one of these 4 pounders every three weeks and I have to throw it out. If I didn't like other mixes I would buy another brand. I don't know why this happens but I feel they didn't mix it right and either didn't add the sweetener or added too much lemon flavor. The quality control has slid way downhill. Lipton used to be the best of the best.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

As I read these reviews, I have wasted two tea bags already for one cup of tea. What is going on? I buy the 100 box, and in the past several months I've noticed more and more teabags are breaking. I have been drinking Lipton for well over 40 years. Another consumer product cheaping out for the almighty dollar. Wake up LIPTON, Greed is not good.

Lipton Tea Company Information