1.62/5
Based on 247 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

251 Lipton Tea Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I have been drinking Lipton Tea for over 50 years daily. And I'm not sure what you changed but the last two boxes I bought were horrible in taste. Even my boys noticed in my sweet tea. And the 2 out of every 3 bags break. I thought it was just a fluke so I bought another box and it was the same way. I'm sorry to say I will be switching brands.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I’ve been drinking Lipton tea several times a day for the last 35 years or so. However, I just purchased my last box. The change in taste is unbearable. I thought I had a bad batch, but the taste is bad with every box. I also notice the taste change around the time the box changed. I also no longer see Orange Pekoe. The box use to say Black tea/Orange Pekoe. I too will be switching to a store generic brand.

Get expert buying tips about Food Products delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I have been a Lipton tea drinker for over forty years and my children also love Lipton. However the gold sleeve wrap makes the tea stale. So I decided to buy bulk at Sam's Club because they sell the individual ones because of restaurant use. But lately the black tea has an awful taste and the bags explode. They are losing loyal customers because they cheaply made these tea bags. So disappointed.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I would have reviewed long ago if I had seen this site. I have been very disappointed with the gold foil trays that were instituted by Lipton. I have been a very long time consumer of Lipton tea. The removal of the paper envelopes enclosing each tea bag is VERY UNSANITARY! These trays make it impossible for each person to take one bag out without touching the surrounding bags. I was so concerned about this, that I did not put the bags out when I invited guests over. THIS IS A SERIOUS HEALTH CONCERN. I have been using other brands of tea and will continue to do so until there is a return to better and acceptable packaging.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Since Lipton Tea changed to the gold sleeves, the tea is tasteless & quite a few bags break. I have been a daily Lipton tea all my life. Right now I have two bags in my cup just so it would have some flavor. I don't think I can buy another box.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lipton Tea?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Seems like this whole batch of teabags in this box are faulty, almost every cup I have dump, don't like floaties. I started to put a new staple in the top of every bag I use, this has helped the problem, but shouldnt have to do this. FIX THE PROBLEM FOLKS!!!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Been a Lipton Tea drinker for 45+ years. Come from a family of tea drinkers. Recently I've had more tea bags explode in the last 2 months than I've had in a whole lifetime. Nothing worse than a mouthful of tea leafs in the morning. Hope Lipton is working on a fix, because I can't have that.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Ever since Lipton changed from the individually wrapped tea bags to the Golden Sleeves, it has been a HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT! I continued to buy it because I was hoping beyond hope that the Lipton makers would realize that they made a huge mistake based on the negative reviews and change it back. Well... Since it has never happened and now seems to be more blah than ever, I have bought my last box. I don't know who they think they are kidding by putting "New And Improved" on the box. Should read "Cheaper To Make and New Blah Taste!!!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

Have only been using Lipton Tea Bags. I love hot tea but over the last year or so, the tea bags burst and I have to use a strainer and hence have to reheat. Use to get the 312 pack at our local Costco but it has stopped carrying it. HEB local grocers have the 'not individually wrapped' type. So I ordered through Amazon but the problems persist. Lipton, please revert back to the old style packaging of the bag which doesn't break open.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I am 66 years old and I have been drinking Lipton Tea since I was a child. The one thing I loved about Lipton Tea was the wonderful aroma of the tea bags. No other tea had that distinct aroma and flavor. I am so disappointed with Lipton Tea now. The aroma is gone and so is the taste. I will be looking for a new brand.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I have been using Lipton tea bags for 50 years. Since the packaging has changed and the bags are no longer individually wrapped, I now experience broken bags about 95% of the time. Most break as soon as the water is poured. This is a big problem, and needs to be looked at by Lipton.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I have been drinking Lipton Tea my entire life and over the past few months I have noticed that I go through several tea bags to make one cup of tea because I have leaves floating in my cup. I will be searching for another tea bag from another company, I am done writing to customer service to only get a coupon for another box to only be further disappointed.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I have purchased and enjoyed drinking Lipton tea for well over sixty years. Lately the tea bags from the yellow box hot/cold use tea have been bursting with little or no effort from using a spoon to remove them from the cup. My husband is a machinist by trade, and we compared these newer teabags with old ones, and he thinks it is in the width of the seam, which is much narrower than the old version. The bag doesn't even need to be used with boiling water, just warm tap water, and the bag self destructs at the seam. Hopefully this problem will be corrected sooner and not later. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

About 1 out of 4 of these 4 pound lemon sweetened iced tea mixes that I buy has this repulsive burnt taste to it. I buy at least one of these 4 pounders every three weeks and I have to throw it out. If I didn't like other mixes I would buy another brand. I don't know why this happens but I feel they didn't mix it right and either didn't add the sweetener or added too much lemon flavor. The quality control has slid way downhill. Lipton used to be the best of the best.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

As I read these reviews, I have wasted two tea bags already for one cup of tea. What is going on? I buy the 100 box, and in the past several months I've noticed more and more teabags are breaking. I have been drinking Lipton for well over 40 years. Another consumer product cheaping out for the almighty dollar. Wake up LIPTON, Greed is not good.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Recently I have noticed the tea bags are bursting. I have been a consumer of Lipton tea for years and never encountered this. I am wondering if they are, as many others are trying to save money by using an inferior product? As they package millions of tea bags this can add up quickly.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

As a Lipton black tea drinker of over 40 years, it’s like some counterfeit tea now. Last month I bought a 1/2 pound of loose tea, not the green stuff. It’s tasteless and is missing the long loved aroma of the thousands of brews I’ve done. I threw it in the trash and just opened a 3 pack of tea bags same tea. Omg my heart just broke as I brewed another batch, it’s missing its wonderful aroma and the taste, it’s gone, all gone and now just blaaa.

In the trash I just threw all these tea bags. Lipton you might as well be honest and fess up to your millions of customers that have used your tea for decades, you changed the ingredients, probably to save money and stuck us with this horrible tasteless aroma-less substandard floor sweeping junk. I feel cheated, and could understand if your industry had been hit by crop killing virus or some other catastrophe, but I see no mention of this anywhere. A search on the web shows I’m not even close to being the only one with this complaint. I won’t buy more unless it’s a diff company that has something to fill the huge hole you created for millions of customers.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

At least 2 out of every 10 cups of Lipton Tea I brew end up with very small tea leaf dust floating on top of the tea water. The tea bags leak and the tea seems to be of poor quality with little taste.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I have been purchasing and enjoying the 1 gallon bottle of Lipton Green Tea Citrus each week for several years now and loved it, but the last two or three bottles have been awful. It smells strange and tastes even worse. I think it's irritating my throat. I had been thinking that maybe it's me; that maybe my taste buds are a little off. So I've been forcing myself to ignore the discomfort; hoping that maybe I'll get used to it. Now after trying to drink this third bottle I've decided that it's NOT me. The stuff is putrid. I don't think I'll ever buy this again.

I tried to contact the company to express my concerns; hoping that they would respond with a reasonable explanation, but there's no way to contact them. None of their contact links would work and their chat line was disabled. So I recommend to everyone: save your money and don't buy the gallon bottle of Lipton Green Tea Citrus because they're something definitely wrong with it.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I recently bought Lipton Tea bags. I put one of the shiny sleeves of black tea bags in a glass jar with a lid. I opened it up the next day and can now see that they have an odor of PAINT!!! Very disturbing! I didn't buy them for years because I thought I didn't like Lipton Brand. Now, I'm done with Lipton for good. There are so many good brands on the store shelves, many are in my cupboard already!

Original review: May 26, 2018

I have been drinking Lipton tea for 67 yrs. I have been making Lipton Tea for over 50 yrs. & I have never seen the label on the bags fall apart like they do now. I bring my tea bags to a boil in water. Then let them seep for a little bit to cool off. The same as I've done for years. Now I have tiny pieces of the label in the tea. Yesterday my husband coughed up a piece. It's nasty & could be unsafe. Someone needs to look into this. Thank you.

Original review: April 22, 2018

I and my family have huge fans of Lipton Tea for as many years as I can remember. As a child growing up and grocery shopping with my mother, I knew better than to put any other brand in our shopping cart. It was Lipton only. I learned this tradition, and as a young wife and mother myself, I strictly adhered to the same process. My children knew early on to not dare even think about any other brand of tea. Well today I am almost 70 and I have been having issues with the gallon size tea bags so I went to the single bags and the tea has been horrible. I went back to buying loose tea as this was what I had been reared on. We used a few boxes of loose tea and oh my goodness it was like going back in time. The tea has been wonderful. The last box of loose tea I bought was a nightmare. I'm on a roller coaster. The next box was bad as well.

The Lipton Tea has such a bad taste it's all you can do to swallow it. I certainly cannot place the tea pitcher in my refrigerator and have it for the next day at lunch time. I have to pour out the whole pitcher. The Lipton Tea company has lost me as a lifelong customer. It is like an old and dear friend has died and will not be brought back to life. I truly miss my dear old friend. I am truly sad to see the company being ran down into the ground. Shame on whoever is making decisions for this company. They need to get rid of these people and put someone in charge that cares about this company and not just looking out for their pocket. Must be nice to get large paychecks while shifting the consumers.

Original review: April 15, 2018

Lipton Tea Yellow Bags - After my brewed tea (kept in refrigerator for less than 2 days) went bad - ugh and then also realizing what a taste it had - I decided to really pay attention. So I brewed another jar and used it right away. Could not believe the disgusting taste, so dark and heavy and acrid. Nothing like the old ice tea I used to make. Have so few delights in my old age, but a large glass of ice tea with fresh lemon hits the spot any time. Now I can't even have that. Like Coke and other products 'improving' their product... please go back to original blend.

Resolution response: March 9, 2018

I just wrote a review about the deteriorated quality of black Lipton Tea individual envelopes. I had been buying it in boxes of 100 bags each. Last night I continued to search whether anyone was still offering the "original", not what they've been trying to pass off as black tea (but looked and tasted like the bottom of the bags) and discovered "Lipton Organic Tea" on Amazon. It looks exactly like the original stuff, is packaged in envelopes (careful, "bags" mean the "new but NOT improved" old stuff) but comes in boxes of 75 and is more expensive.

So I suspect that this was Lipton's plan: Offer the dredgings for a year or so, and then people will be willing to pay a higher price for the original tea (yes, I am but would have accepted a price increase a year ago rather than drinking that awful stuff for a year first.) -- I am forced to give this message stars. I gave it 4 for the moment but that does not pertain to the quality of the old tea, of course, and not to the new, which I have not tried yet but am just about to order, for which I reserve my opinion until tested.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I was looking for boxes of the "old" tried and true Lipton Black Tea on the Internet because I thought perhaps Walmart or Sam's has changed to a cheaper inferior type of Lipton tea. Then I found all the comments here and really cannot add much, except I, too, became disappointed about a year ago when I ran out of the nicely packaged/covered Lipton tea bags because the quality changed drastically. While previously there were nice black pieces, now each open (no more cover) bag is like they are selling us as tea the dust and broken pieces that fell through the better quality teas above. Has anyone found any other brand that's equivalent to the "old" Lipton tea bags because this stuff now tastes bland, like it had been in dishwater or stored in an old bag. Yak!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I've bought Lipton's Diet Green Tea Citrus for YEARS. Over the past several months, however, I've come across several that taste horrible. At first I thought it was just a bad case that I bought (I get the large cases of 16 or so from Sam's Club), but now it seems I come across at least a few bottles in every case lately that taste this way. Some bottles in the same case are fine, and a few others I have to pour out, they taste so bad. I've tried different Sam's Clubs in the area, same results. It's even worse if I buy a bottle at a Sheetz or Bruegger's Bagels, those almost always have the bad taste so I don't even try there anymore. Come on Lipton, get this fixed! When they taste right, the Diet Green Tea Citrus is GREAT. I just hate having to guess which I'm going to get when I open a bottle anymore.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Have bought Lipton tea with citrus diet. For many years, here lately I will buy seven gallons and about four will have a horrible taste. Have to pour them down the sink. What has happened?? If this is a new formulary it's absolutely awful... Please go back to making delicious tea... Wished I could be compensated. I have dumped out six bucks worth of tea per week for several months now...

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

I have purchased the Lipton Green Tea Citrus in the gallon size for many years. This time my entire family finds that the taste is different and NOT in a good way. It has a more acidic taste... What has changed, it's awful!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I bought a box of 100 tea bags yesterday and did not know things have changed because they have always been a trusted tea of quality. I was surprised to see they were not individually wrapped like before which means no taking them with me easily. The real problem is the quality of the tea. It doesn't look, smell, or taste the same. I thought maybe it was just me thinking the bags were smaller too, so I came online to see if I was nuts about all of this, but now know I am not. What is wrong with you Lipton? I grew up on this tea and know what it is supposed to taste like and look like and you've gone and screwed it all up! The almighty dollar is not everything! The world is bad enough and going to heck in a handbasket without our tea doing it too! I just spent $4 ON SALE (normally $6) for cruddy tasting tea. The flavor is NOT there. The smell is NOT there.

I am tired of these companies doing this to us. Two quart ice-cream is now one and a quarter quarts for the same or higher price. EVERYTHING and EVERYONE is messing us over for profit! Maybe quit paying your CEOs so darn much money and take care of the consumers! I never thought my Lipton tea would fall to this level. I have tried many teas during my life and always came back to Lipton. This is SO wrong what you have done to us Lipton! My morning is ruined and I see many mornings ruined because there are 99 tea bags left. Even if I doubled up and only had about 50 mornings left by using two tea bags the taste and smell would not be the same. I guess I should just return this stupid box and get my money back. You're blowing it, Lipton. :(

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Lipton tea in the gallon family size has changed negatively. The tea is very weak tasting after brewing. I thought if maybe if I let it steep for an extended amount of time this would help enhance the flavor. I let the tea steep for an hour but still got the same diluted tea taste. The tea smell has changed as well. I have been purchasing this product for the last 15 years, but not anymore. I am very dissatisfied and I WILL NOT be purchasing Lipton brand tea again. This product is garbage. Shame on you Lipton.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

Grandmother fixed us Lipton Iced Tea every summer. It tasted best on the second day. We drank it hot every winter. I'm 62 now and use Lipton Cold Brew in summer adding an herbal peach bag for variety sometimes. It's so easy and tastes just as good as brewed. My brother and I did a taste test one day to verify. We couldn't tell the difference though he was sure he would. The Lipton Tea pyramid bags were genius. So flavorful. I see they've put out a concentrate liquid. Will have to try that but will always enjoy my tea just as Lipton originally provided; rich and comforting.

Lipton Tea Company Information