1.65/5
Based on 233 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

237 Lipton Tea Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

As I read these reviews, I have wasted two tea bags already for one cup of tea. What is going on? I buy the 100 box, and in the past several months I've noticed more and more teabags are breaking. I have been drinking Lipton for well over 40 years. Another consumer product cheaping out for the almighty dollar. Wake up LIPTON, Greed is not good.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Recently I have noticed the tea bags are bursting. I have been a consumer of Lipton tea for years and never encountered this. I am wondering if they are, as many others are trying to save money by using an inferior product? As they package millions of tea bags this can add up quickly.

Get expert buying tips about Food Products delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

As a Lipton black tea drinker of over 40 years, it’s like some counterfeit tea now. Last month I bought a 1/2 pound of loose tea, not the green stuff. It’s tasteless and is missing the long loved aroma of the thousands of brews I’ve done. I threw it in the trash and just opened a 3 pack of tea bags same tea. Omg my heart just broke as I brewed another batch, it’s missing its wonderful aroma and the taste, it’s gone, all gone and now just blaaa.

In the trash I just threw all these tea bags. Lipton you might as well be honest and fess up to your millions of customers that have used your tea for decades, you changed the ingredients, probably to save money and stuck us with this horrible tasteless aroma-less substandard floor sweeping junk. I feel cheated, and could understand if your industry had been hit by crop killing virus or some other catastrophe, but I see no mention of this anywhere. A search on the web shows I’m not even close to being the only one with this complaint. I won’t buy more unless it’s a diff company that has something to fill the huge hole you created for millions of customers.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

At least 2 out of every 10 cups of Lipton Tea I brew end up with very small tea leaf dust floating on top of the tea water. The tea bags leak and the tea seems to be of poor quality with little taste.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I have been purchasing and enjoying the 1 gallon bottle of Lipton Green Tea Citrus each week for several years now and loved it, but the last two or three bottles have been awful. It smells strange and tastes even worse. I think it's irritating my throat. I had been thinking that maybe it's me; that maybe my taste buds are a little off. So I've been forcing myself to ignore the discomfort; hoping that maybe I'll get used to it. Now after trying to drink this third bottle I've decided that it's NOT me. The stuff is putrid. I don't think I'll ever buy this again.

I tried to contact the company to express my concerns; hoping that they would respond with a reasonable explanation, but there's no way to contact them. None of their contact links would work and their chat line was disabled. So I recommend to everyone: save your money and don't buy the gallon bottle of Lipton Green Tea Citrus because they're something definitely wrong with it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lipton Tea?

Original review: June 9, 2018

I recently bought Lipton Tea bags. I put one of the shiny sleeves of black tea bags in a glass jar with a lid. I opened it up the next day and can now see that they have an odor of PAINT!!! Very disturbing! I didn't buy them for years because I thought I didn't like Lipton Brand. Now, I'm done with Lipton for good. There are so many good brands on the store shelves, many are in my cupboard already!

Original review: May 26, 2018

I have been drinking Lipton tea for 67 yrs. I have been making Lipton Tea for over 50 yrs. & I have never seen the label on the bags fall apart like they do now. I bring my tea bags to a boil in water. Then let them seep for a little bit to cool off. The same as I've done for years. Now I have tiny pieces of the label in the tea. Yesterday my husband coughed up a piece. It's nasty & could be unsafe. Someone needs to look into this. Thank you.

Original review: April 22, 2018

I and my family have huge fans of Lipton Tea for as many years as I can remember. As a child growing up and grocery shopping with my mother, I knew better than to put any other brand in our shopping cart. It was Lipton only. I learned this tradition, and as a young wife and mother myself, I strictly adhered to the same process. My children knew early on to not dare even think about any other brand of tea. Well today I am almost 70 and I have been having issues with the gallon size tea bags so I went to the single bags and the tea has been horrible. I went back to buying loose tea as this was what I had been reared on. We used a few boxes of loose tea and oh my goodness it was like going back in time. The tea has been wonderful. The last box of loose tea I bought was a nightmare. I'm on a roller coaster. The next box was bad as well.

The Lipton Tea has such a bad taste it's all you can do to swallow it. I certainly cannot place the tea pitcher in my refrigerator and have it for the next day at lunch time. I have to pour out the whole pitcher. The Lipton Tea company has lost me as a lifelong customer. It is like an old and dear friend has died and will not be brought back to life. I truly miss my dear old friend. I am truly sad to see the company being ran down into the ground. Shame on whoever is making decisions for this company. They need to get rid of these people and put someone in charge that cares about this company and not just looking out for their pocket. Must be nice to get large paychecks while shifting the consumers.

Original review: April 15, 2018

Lipton Tea Yellow Bags - After my brewed tea (kept in refrigerator for less than 2 days) went bad - ugh and then also realizing what a taste it had - I decided to really pay attention. So I brewed another jar and used it right away. Could not believe the disgusting taste, so dark and heavy and acrid. Nothing like the old ice tea I used to make. Have so few delights in my old age, but a large glass of ice tea with fresh lemon hits the spot any time. Now I can't even have that. Like Coke and other products 'improving' their product... please go back to original blend.

Resolution response: March 9, 2018

I just wrote a review about the deteriorated quality of black Lipton Tea individual envelopes. I had been buying it in boxes of 100 bags each. Last night I continued to search whether anyone was still offering the "original", not what they've been trying to pass off as black tea (but looked and tasted like the bottom of the bags) and discovered "Lipton Organic Tea" on Amazon. It looks exactly like the original stuff, is packaged in envelopes (careful, "bags" mean the "new but NOT improved" old stuff) but comes in boxes of 75 and is more expensive.

So I suspect that this was Lipton's plan: Offer the dredgings for a year or so, and then people will be willing to pay a higher price for the original tea (yes, I am but would have accepted a price increase a year ago rather than drinking that awful stuff for a year first.) -- I am forced to give this message stars. I gave it 4 for the moment but that does not pertain to the quality of the old tea, of course, and not to the new, which I have not tried yet but am just about to order, for which I reserve my opinion until tested.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I was looking for boxes of the "old" tried and true Lipton Black Tea on the Internet because I thought perhaps Walmart or Sam's has changed to a cheaper inferior type of Lipton tea. Then I found all the comments here and really cannot add much, except I, too, became disappointed about a year ago when I ran out of the nicely packaged/covered Lipton tea bags because the quality changed drastically. While previously there were nice black pieces, now each open (no more cover) bag is like they are selling us as tea the dust and broken pieces that fell through the better quality teas above. Has anyone found any other brand that's equivalent to the "old" Lipton tea bags because this stuff now tastes bland, like it had been in dishwater or stored in an old bag. Yak!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I've bought Lipton's Diet Green Tea Citrus for YEARS. Over the past several months, however, I've come across several that taste horrible. At first I thought it was just a bad case that I bought (I get the large cases of 16 or so from Sam's Club), but now it seems I come across at least a few bottles in every case lately that taste this way. Some bottles in the same case are fine, and a few others I have to pour out, they taste so bad. I've tried different Sam's Clubs in the area, same results. It's even worse if I buy a bottle at a Sheetz or Bruegger's Bagels, those almost always have the bad taste so I don't even try there anymore. Come on Lipton, get this fixed! When they taste right, the Diet Green Tea Citrus is GREAT. I just hate having to guess which I'm going to get when I open a bottle anymore.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Have bought Lipton tea with citrus diet. For many years, here lately I will buy seven gallons and about four will have a horrible taste. Have to pour them down the sink. What has happened?? If this is a new formulary it's absolutely awful... Please go back to making delicious tea... Wished I could be compensated. I have dumped out six bucks worth of tea per week for several months now...

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

I have purchased the Lipton Green Tea Citrus in the gallon size for many years. This time my entire family finds that the taste is different and NOT in a good way. It has a more acidic taste... What has changed, it's awful!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I bought a box of 100 tea bags yesterday and did not know things have changed because they have always been a trusted tea of quality. I was surprised to see they were not individually wrapped like before which means no taking them with me easily. The real problem is the quality of the tea. It doesn't look, smell, or taste the same. I thought maybe it was just me thinking the bags were smaller too, so I came online to see if I was nuts about all of this, but now know I am not. What is wrong with you Lipton? I grew up on this tea and know what it is supposed to taste like and look like and you've gone and screwed it all up! The almighty dollar is not everything! The world is bad enough and going to heck in a handbasket without our tea doing it too! I just spent $4 ON SALE (normally $6) for cruddy tasting tea. The flavor is NOT there. The smell is NOT there.

I am tired of these companies doing this to us. Two quart ice-cream is now one and a quarter quarts for the same or higher price. EVERYTHING and EVERYONE is messing us over for profit! Maybe quit paying your CEOs so darn much money and take care of the consumers! I never thought my Lipton tea would fall to this level. I have tried many teas during my life and always came back to Lipton. This is SO wrong what you have done to us Lipton! My morning is ruined and I see many mornings ruined because there are 99 tea bags left. Even if I doubled up and only had about 50 mornings left by using two tea bags the taste and smell would not be the same. I guess I should just return this stupid box and get my money back. You're blowing it, Lipton. :(

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Lipton tea in the gallon family size has changed negatively. The tea is very weak tasting after brewing. I thought if maybe if I let it steep for an extended amount of time this would help enhance the flavor. I let the tea steep for an hour but still got the same diluted tea taste. The tea smell has changed as well. I have been purchasing this product for the last 15 years, but not anymore. I am very dissatisfied and I WILL NOT be purchasing Lipton brand tea again. This product is garbage. Shame on you Lipton.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

Grandmother fixed us Lipton Iced Tea every summer. It tasted best on the second day. We drank it hot every winter. I'm 62 now and use Lipton Cold Brew in summer adding an herbal peach bag for variety sometimes. It's so easy and tastes just as good as brewed. My brother and I did a taste test one day to verify. We couldn't tell the difference though he was sure he would. The Lipton Tea pyramid bags were genius. So flavorful. I see they've put out a concentrate liquid. Will have to try that but will always enjoy my tea just as Lipton originally provided; rich and comforting.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

I have been a lifelong user of Lipton teas, also my parents & grandparents. In the last year, I have become increasingly disappointed in your tea. It is no longer flavorful, does not smell like tea (fillers, I've read) and apparently, according to recent reads, uses 50% more pesticides than other teas. It's time to go back to your roots!! NO ONE wants more pesticides today... and fillers are just cheapening your product and turning customers away! If you continue along this path, you will be losing the one thing you need... your customers base! My family & I are already checking out other teas and are no longer buying Lipton!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

After several months and boxes of Lipton I am considering switching so googled to see if it was just me and found these other posts. In the past I was always able to get 2 cups of flavorful tea out of each bag and now am not happy with even the first cup. I thought maybe they were putting less tea per bag but seeing the other posts realize it may be filler? I drink regular but have tried Salada decaf and was not at all happy with that. I didn't consider myself a tea expert, but there is a very noticeable difference in Lipton over the past year. If cost cutting is the issue, please go back to basics and I'd pay a little more for the flavor I remember!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

The local stores no longer carry Lipton loose tea. Also the new tea bags are not filled with 'actual' tea but ground up "stuff" that has no appearance or smell of "tea". As a 50 year+ user of Lipton tea I am very unhappy with the current tea situation.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

As many reviewers, I too am a southerner who grew up on Lipton Tea. Having been served it at every family meal by my mother and grandmothers as well as aunts. No other tea tasted the same and just would not do. Several years ago I gradually moved to decaf and then to green tea, Lipton of course. The tastes were different but not unpalatable. I adjusted easily and because I wanted to have a healthier and "cleaner" diet, I made sure to always use filtered water as well. The last time I purchased Lipton I noticed the taste was off, but like others, thought it was just an off batch. This time there is such a chemical taste and complete lack of tea flavor whatsoever that I simply couldn't drink it at all. At first I thought maybe there was soap residue in my glass, so I rewashed it. Then the tea pitcher. No change. Bitter, chemical, weird aftertaste. Completely disgusting. It even smells different. Is there even tea in these bags or is it potpourri?

Honestly it's very sad. In the south, a glass of iced tea accompanies everything at every occasion. From births to deaths, weddings to heartbreaks and every occasion singular or communal you can imagine. Lipton was dependable and is no longer. Lipton has lost a 40+ year Lipton tea buyer in not only myself but also the generations who follow in my children. That doesn't make good business sense. But what's most concerning is the faith so many have - or had in this company. I'd love to ask... What's in your tea bags now Lipton? Because it isn't tea. What damage has been done or is being done by fillers?

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

I was raised drinking Lipton tea. I noticed in the past year or so that it doesn't have the flavor it once had. Also noticed when I opened the package, the aroma of tea, just isn't there. Today I bought a competitor's tea, opened the box, AHHHH, tea! Whatever you've done, you've lost a lifelong customer.

Original review: July 6, 2017

As a southerner, I have always drunk a great deal of iced tea. My mother made great tea everyday using Lipton loose tea leaves -- great! I have always preferred Lipton tea bags -- five family size to make a pitcher. But the quality seems to have changed since you changed your packaging -- more dusty residue, less strength. I am searching for a new brand.

Original review: June 26, 2017

I would just like to parrot the negative responses I've read so far. I would also like to add that as we have learned from Ralph Nader, the American consumer is one of the most powerful groups in the world. You can see what the American consumer has done to media moguls, like, O'Reilly, Hannity, Limbaugh, Ailes, the list goes on. All brought to their knees by the American consumer forcing advertisers to stop advertising their products for sale to consumers. This power is always downplayed or skipped over completely. It's still true.

Original review: June 23, 2017

I drink iced tea throughout the day, every day. I grew up drinking Lipton Tea and as an almost 70 y/o, I have only ever bought Lipton Tea. But, what is in the yellow box bearing the name Lipton does not even smell, or taste anything like tea, let alone Lipton Tea. Initially I thought maybe I got hold of a "bad batch"/box but the second box of 100 was worse than the first. So, I thought it must be my taste buds gone awry until... I Googled, and found the reviews posted here... until I googled "What has happened to Lipton Tea." Oh my what have I been drinking? So, I am holding on to both boxes just in case... Disgusting.

Original review: June 11, 2017

I have grown up drinking Lipton Tea. It used to be one of the best teas available. Not anymore. It's a disgrace! It is the worst tasting tea I have ever had! It's bottom of the barrel. I'm not even sure it is tea. Price has gone way up & it tastes like rancid dish water. How dare they screw people. They ought to be ashamed of themselves. Then they have the nerve to tell people it's their water. Lipton tea is the worst tasting crap they try to pass off as tea! It taste like dried stale parsley. I highly do not recommend wasting money on it. It's disgusting. Lipton tea used to have a great reputation. Now it sucks! Do not buy it. Ever!!! They obviously do not care about their customers!

Original review: June 6, 2017

I recently was surprised when purchasing a new box of Lipton family size iced tea bags that the box was smaller and that the once individually wrapped bags are no longer wrapped with the paper wrappers. They claim on the inside of the box that their packaging has changed but not their tea and removed the paper wraps to help reduce their environmental footprint.

I have drank Lipton tea for many many years and the main reason I have stayed a customer for so long was the quality of the tea and the individual wrappers that I can just toss in a bag and not worry about the tea bag getting contaminated. I immediately noticed after brewing my first cup with the new bags that the strength of the tea was much weaker. The new tea bags are also noticeably smaller. I steeped both bags the same amount of time. I no longer get the caffeine jolt with the new bags that I did with the old ones.

It's pretty sad to see all these companies lowering their standards and trying to trick the public by lowering quality and the size of their products. I've noticed it from everything to smaller crackers and toilet paper rolls and now less tea in the tea bags. It's unfortunate for Unilever that they decided that profits outweighed the quality of their product. Reluctantly I will check out Luzianne tea and see if the quality is better. Hopefully Unilever will get their act together and bring back the good tea with the individual wrappers. Don't fix what's not broken I always say.

Original review: May 25, 2017

Lipton Tea prices and quality have switched places. It happened with Southern Sweet Tea first. Most recently $15.00 for a box of 18, now it's Lipton's Spiced Chai $18.00 for a box of 18. They may make good tea just not THAT good, I'll be buying something else from here on out.

Original review: May 24, 2017

I've been a loyal Lipton Tea drinker throughout my life. In the past 2 years, there has been a noticeable change in the quality of their product. The bags are no longer packed in envelopes in the box. The tea leaves look finely ground. The tea is much weaker than it used to be and as another reviewer mentioned, the bags also seem weaker and break when in hot water from time to time. Just a note: I drink iced tea, not hot and I have always followed the instructions on the box. So something seems to be up with the quality of their tea and the materials used for their bags. Cutting down on costs? I have since changed to a brand that is as good as Lipton used to be.

Original review: May 5, 2017

The taste of Lipton black tea is why I purchase their product over others on the market; however, Lipton has recently decided to remove the individual papers that wrap each tea bag. Those paper packages not only keep the tea sanitary, but most importantly, it keeps the taste UNIQUELY fresh, crisp, & delicious! Now, without the wrapping, the tea has a VERY un-pleasant, common, dirty taste. As a southerner who enjoys tea daily, this problem just can't be ignored! I hope Lipton quickly returns to their higher standard & puts the papers back on!

Original review: April 6, 2017

This is not so much of a complaint as a plea. I buy the box of 20 green tea lemon flavoured tea bags tagged. Have been buying for years and love the tea. Recently the tea bags keep splitting and breaking when you put it into hot water. I went through 3 bags and each one broke spilling tea leaves. Please could you make the bags stronger. I love Lipton and don't want to use other green tea but I'm wasting money throwing away cup after cup of broken tea bags.

Lipton Tea Company Information