Lipton Tea

Compare Food Products

Research top Food Products recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

The local stores no longer carry Lipton loose tea. Also the new tea bags are not filled with 'actual' tea but ground up "stuff" that has no appearance or smell of "tea". As a 50 year+ user of Lipton tea I am very unhappy with the current tea situation.

As many reviewers, I too am a southerner who grew up on Lipton Tea. Having been served it at every family meal by my mother and grandmothers as well as aunts. No other tea tasted the same and just would not do. Several years ago I gradually moved to decaf and then to green tea, Lipton of course. The tastes were different but not unpalatable. I adjusted easily and because I wanted to have a healthier and "cleaner" diet, I made sure to always use filtered water as well. The last time I purchased Lipton I noticed the taste was off, but like others, thought it was just an off batch. This time there is such a chemical taste and complete lack of tea flavor whatsoever that I simply couldn't drink it at all. At first I thought maybe there was soap residue in my glass, so I rewashed it. Then the tea pitcher. No change. Bitter, chemical, weird aftertaste. Completely disgusting. It even smells different. Is there even tea in these bags or is it potpourri?

Honestly it's very sad. In the south, a glass of iced tea accompanies everything at every occasion. From births to deaths, weddings to heartbreaks and every occasion singular or communal you can imagine. Lipton was dependable and is no longer. Lipton has lost a 40+ year Lipton tea buyer in not only myself but also the generations who follow in my children. That doesn't make good business sense. But what's most concerning is the faith so many have - or had in this company. I'd love to ask... What's in your tea bags now Lipton? Because it isn't tea. What damage has been done or is being done by fillers?

I was raised drinking Lipton tea. I noticed in the past year or so that it doesn't have the flavor it once had. Also noticed when I opened the package, the aroma of tea, just isn't there. Today I bought a competitor's tea, opened the box, AHHHH, tea! Whatever you've done, you've lost a lifelong customer.

As a southerner, I have always drunk a great deal of iced tea. My mother made great tea everyday using Lipton loose tea leaves -- great! I have always preferred Lipton tea bags -- five family size to make a pitcher. But the quality seems to have changed since you changed your packaging -- more dusty residue, less strength. I am searching for a new brand.

I would just like to parrot the negative responses I've read so far. I would also like to add that as we have learned from Ralph Nader, the American consumer is one of the most powerful groups in the world. You can see what the American consumer has done to media moguls, like, O'Reilly, Hannity, Limbaugh, Ailes, the list goes on. All brought to their knees by the American consumer forcing advertisers to stop advertising their products for sale to consumers. This power is always downplayed or skipped over completely. It's still true.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lipton Tea?

I drink iced tea throughout the day, every day. I grew up drinking Lipton Tea and as an almost 70 y/o, I have only ever bought Lipton Tea. But, what is in the yellow box bearing the name Lipton does not even smell, or taste anything like tea, let alone Lipton Tea. Initially I thought maybe I got hold of a "bad batch"/box but the second box of 100 was worse than the first. So, I thought it must be my taste buds gone awry until... I Googled, and found the reviews posted here... until I googled "What has happened to Lipton Tea." Oh my what have I been drinking? So, I am holding on to both boxes just in case... Disgusting.

I have grown up drinking Lipton Tea. It used to be one of the best teas available. Not anymore. It's a disgrace! It is the worst tasting tea I have ever had! It's bottom of the barrel. I'm not even sure it is tea. Price has gone way up & it tastes like rancid dish water. How dare they screw people. They ought to be ashamed of themselves. Then they have the nerve to tell people it's their water. Lipton tea is the worst tasting crap they try to pass off as tea! It taste like dried stale parsley. I highly do not recommend wasting money on it. It's disgusting. Lipton tea used to have a great reputation. Now it sucks! Do not buy it. Ever!!! They obviously do not care about their customers!

I recently was surprised when purchasing a new box of Lipton family size iced tea bags that the box was smaller and that the once individually wrapped bags are no longer wrapped with the paper wrappers. They claim on the inside of the box that their packaging has changed but not their tea and removed the paper wraps to help reduce their environmental footprint.

I have drank Lipton tea for many many years and the main reason I have stayed a customer for so long was the quality of the tea and the individual wrappers that I can just toss in a bag and not worry about the tea bag getting contaminated. I immediately noticed after brewing my first cup with the new bags that the strength of the tea was much weaker. The new tea bags are also noticeably smaller. I steeped both bags the same amount of time. I no longer get the caffeine jolt with the new bags that I did with the old ones.

It's pretty sad to see all these companies lowering their standards and trying to trick the public by lowering quality and the size of their products. I've noticed it from everything to smaller crackers and toilet paper rolls and now less tea in the tea bags. It's unfortunate for Unilever that they decided that profits outweighed the quality of their product. Reluctantly I will check out Luzianne tea and see if the quality is better. Hopefully Unilever will get their act together and bring back the good tea with the individual wrappers. Don't fix what's not broken I always say.

Lipton Tea prices and quality have switched places. It happened with Southern Sweet Tea first. Most recently $15.00 for a box of 18, now it's Lipton's Spiced Chai $18.00 for a box of 18. They may make good tea just not THAT good, I'll be buying something else from here on out.

I've been a loyal Lipton Tea drinker throughout my life. In the past 2 years, there has been a noticeable change in the quality of their product. The bags are no longer packed in envelopes in the box. The tea leaves look finely ground. The tea is much weaker than it used to be and as another reviewer mentioned, the bags also seem weaker and break when in hot water from time to time. Just a note: I drink iced tea, not hot and I have always followed the instructions on the box. So something seems to be up with the quality of their tea and the materials used for their bags. Cutting down on costs? I have since changed to a brand that is as good as Lipton used to be.

The taste of Lipton black tea is why I purchase their product over others on the market; however, Lipton has recently decided to remove the individual papers that wrap each tea bag. Those paper packages not only keep the tea sanitary, but most importantly, it keeps the taste UNIQUELY fresh, crisp, & delicious! Now, without the wrapping, the tea has a VERY un-pleasant, common, dirty taste. As a southerner who enjoys tea daily, this problem just can't be ignored! I hope Lipton quickly returns to their higher standard & puts the papers back on!

This is not so much of a complaint as a plea. I buy the box of 20 green tea lemon flavoured tea bags tagged. Have been buying for years and love the tea. Recently the tea bags keep splitting and breaking when you put it into hot water. I went through 3 bags and each one broke spilling tea leaves. Please could you make the bags stronger. I love Lipton and don't want to use other green tea but I'm wasting money throwing away cup after cup of broken tea bags.

Tea is not as fresh as it used to be before new packaging. The tea labels disintegrate when I drop the bags in hot water. After 30 years of being a Lipton tea lover, I am ready to hunt a better tea. I always have bought the 100 single bag count regular brew.

Approx. six weeks ago, our local Walmart supercenter stopped stocking Lipton ice tea with lemon in bottles. When I asked store associates about the missing product, they advised that Pepsi stocks the product for them and could not explain the empty shelves. I found that Piggly Wiggly nearby was also out of stock. I traveled to La Crosse, WI. And found that the Walmart stores (2) there were out of stock, as well as several other major grocery stores that normally carry the product. It was suggested by a few store employees that there may be a distribution problem. I could not find any notice of same.

While I do not drink the product, my wife drinks several bottles a day and what she wants, she gets. For now she fallen back on a brand only available in La Crosse, WI. And requires a two-hour round trip drive to fill her wants. My concern is limited to the lack of information from Lipton and from the local (SW Wisconsin) stores about a sudden departure of a popular product. Is there a problem we need to know about?

When the cold brew tea came out I was excited. It tasted great, until about 7 months ago it has gotten horrible! I sporadically keep buying cold brew tea at different times to see if it has gotten better and it hasn't. Lipton told me it was my water? I have a reverse osmosis filter, how is it my water? And, why was the tea fine with the same water for the earlier batches of tea? I just have to find a better tea and make Iced Tea the old-fashioned way.

I have been a Lipton customer for 30 years plus, very disappointed in new packaging. Half the bags I use to make tea with ends up breaking and I get a cup full of loose tea leaves. I am so tired of remaking tea in the morning because of your brand and the changes that were made to packaging. It's time to move on...

Lipton was our go to daily tea. Since the new packaging and lesser quality, I have not enjoyed it at all. However, I find that in a restaurant, the old individually wrapped tea bags still have the taste we were happy with. If the tea can be made for commercial customers, why can't the public buy it as well?

I was fine scanning the reviews until I came to the notes about worms in the tea. Nowhere do I see answers or replies to these reviews. I can't imagine that none were sent, but I wonder. If I ask a simple question, for example, how do I open the gallon jug of Lipton green tea and iced tea, will I get a response? I've resorted to laying the jug on its side and hammering at the lid to loosen it. And just for the record, I don't buy Lipton dried teas because none of their flavors are strong enough for a true flavor. What a shame. The powdered method of stretching the tea leaves seems to have been a failure. They're just messy to use now.

I have been using Lipton Tea Bags for years and the recent changes they have made to their product is very horrible! They should go back to the individually wrapped tea bags and back to the original recipe that Lipton is known for. The new foil tea bags are stale and are not the same product or quality that is Lipton! The new tea bags do not have the great aroma that the original ones did and do not taste the same as the original Lipton Tea does. Please Lipton go back to your original recipe and the individually wrapped tea bags or I will go to a different brand. Thank you.

My mother is from the UK and I have been drinking Lipton for as long as I can remember almost 70 years. I have become upset with the recent changes in your product and packaging. Let's begin with the packaging. Please bring back the individual tea bag packaging. I can no longer carry tea bags in my purse (tea powder lands in the bottom of my bag). I cannot discreetly remove a teabag from my purse and place it in my cup. I now have to carry a Ziploc bag. Ugh!

These 25 count "gold sleeves" in the 100 count box are a bad marketing idea. I would so enjoy opening my box of Lipton tea and enjoying the moment of the aroma that filled the room would bring back memories of a steeping pot of tea. That aroma is not there anymore, I believe you have also changed your raw tea selection, purchasing a lower grade of tea. I decided to start looking for a new tea, sad to say to the Lipton Tea Company. Please bring back individual wrapped tea bags and your high quality of tea... Your customers can tell things have changed and I am sad to say goodbye.

I just purchased, as I have for years, a 12 pk of Lipton Diet Green Tea Citrus. I like it because it reminds me of kool-aid and I like to put it in the freezer to get icy. Anyway, I was anxious to open a bottle and started drinking when I noticed this foul odor. At first it smelled like B.O. Then it got stronger and had a more chemical smell. I poured the tea into a glass and no smell, but the bottle is emitting a horrible chemical smell I can't get rid of. I don't know what this is, never smelled it before, but I think it's got to be dangerous. Once you get it on your hands, it's hard to get off. Beware!

Diet lemon ice tea - Been buying for years. This week it tastes differently and not in a good way. Almost like the citric acid was gone. Did they change the formula or was there a mistake in the factory and it was labeled wrong?

I recently purchased a box of decaf tea bags when I noticed the new foil wrapping - great I thought, only to be disappointed that each bag is not wrapped so when I open the foil packaging I'm not able to reseal it. I thought what was the point of stay fresh wrapping if when I open it I can't reseal it so my other tea bags get stale tasting. At least put a closure on the foil so the packaging can at least try to keep my tea bags kinda fresh.

I've been a lifelong Lipton iced tea drinker (50 years) and a gallon every couple of days. My choice for making iced tea was the gallon bags. Although I noticed it tasted weaker I really thought it was my taste buds. Good to know it's not just me! But the thing I've noticed with my recent purchases is my bags are now splitting open every time. I never had an issue before and now it is constantly. To Lipton: make a change or lose your customers and market share!

Still love my 100 ct. Lipton Tea Bags. Reading other reviews & realize, you can't please everyone. I don't mind the new package. Same product & understand the need to save on manufacturing today. Don't have any issues with product.

I've been drinking Lipton Diet Green Tea Citrus for several years. I purchased a 12 pack of bottles at Walmart on Oct 7th of this year. The first bottle I only drank half of because it hardly had any taste and no sweetness at all. I also noticed that it had some brown sediment in the bottom of the bottle. Well I thought maybe it was just a bad bottle and opened two more and tried them. Same thing. No taste and sediment in the bottom. This is the only thing I drink other than coffee and water so I'm very disappointed!

After 50 years of drinking Lipton tea every day (in recent years from tea bags in the 100 box), I am abandoning this product. Life is too short to drink bad tea, and Lipton is no longer of good quality on a consistent basis. Frequently now it is just not even drinkable.

I am a 65 year old woman who has used Lipton teabags all her life. Since they had their 100 year anniversary, they changed packaging and lowered the amount of tea in the bag. They don't stay fresh, and I must use less water, giving me a very 'small' cup of pleasure! Please go back to individual wrapping and bring back the product you are known for. I might as well drink Tetley, for what I'm getting now!!!

There were tiny, moving, alive insects in tea bag which was opened by chance. I have been having your tea for years.

I had been buying Lipton tea for years mostly for iced tea. My husband drinks a gallon of iced tea every two days. Ever since Lipton changed their 100 tea bag packaging and made it all fancy, they made the tea bags smaller and raised the price. Plus, the tea really does not taste that good anymore. We bought Luzianne tea and made it the same way as we did the Lipton and were very surprised at how much better the Luzianne tea tasted and the price was over $1.00 less.

Lipton Tea Company Profile