Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.95/5

Home Chef Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Chef?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Chef?

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

Husband and I Were using Home Chef when it first started, but just cancelled our service. The service started off great enough portions, includes paper shipping used to be on time, Now portions are too small, two servings are not enough for 1 person, I still need to do grocery shopping for missing or unreasonable items. Delivery is always late, not worth it!!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2021

I love Home Chef. It's prepared for you. It's healthy and good delivery was good good rates. I would recommend this to all individuals. It's easy, convenient, quality product. I have friends that order from home chef.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

To start with top notch ingredients all around. At first it seems like too many steps but the final outcome ????. I've had guests comment that they would pay for Home Chef's meal in a restaurant!??? I have learned l lot thru HC and now cook with care and flare!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

2 orders and 2 problems. I am canceling membership. First order I get the wrong meal and the protein (meat) is missing for one. Ok, so I get a credit. I place a second order; eta 8 p.m. but not arrived. Wake up to find an email saying my meal was delivered, "left at the front door". Who the hell does that? Well my gate was never opened and no one rang my bell, which leads me to believe that there was NO delivery at all. However, if there in fact was left at the front door, on the sidewalk, obviously someone was going to steal it. I called 5 times and finally get a response "we apologize for the inconvenience but we are unable to send out a replacement meal". That's IT! Cancel my membership; way too frustrating and stressful; now someone else is enjoying the expensive meal I paid for and all I have is a credit? No thanks! Refund me and close my account!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

Food quality and directions were good. Choose to suspend partnership after they moved their delivery from FedEx to some terrible California based company. It's terrible, not because of California, but because the food can't delivered as expected. The food via FedEx as arriving around 1:00 (aka - 13:00) but with this "new" and not so improved company it arrived at 10:00 (22:00) or about nine hours later. Just the thought of the food quality decline after such an extended period of time is a concern. Sadly Home Chef told us it was this delivery company or nothing - guess what? I'll go to another company and you (Home Chef) can save a lot of money using this new delivery company. I'm sure you will be even more efficient when all your customers have left. I hope you got a great price - good luck to ya.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

My husband and I HAD been using Home Chef for a year, but just cancelled our service. The service started off great even when the recipes started getting remarkably similar and the vegetable side was too often squash. Over the last few months, I found myself contacting them at least once or twice a month with issues that they don’t seem to care about.

Due to the lack of care when packing our box, too often was there a puncture or tear in a package of meat causing blood or goo to get all over everything. Sometimes we paid for a fancier meat like filet mignon and didn’t get it. Other times, vegetables were soft, wilted, and the issue that caused the cancellation was that we received a garlic clove that had mold growing on it! The quality of ingredients has gone completely down hill and it’s no longer acceptable considering this isn’t a cheap service. If you had asked me a year ago if I recommend, I would have said yes, but now, heck no!! Do not waste your hard-earned money for inedible ingredients and poor customer service.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

I wanted to try Home Chef as a more affordable meal kit option. My first box arrived on time and the food was great and easy to prepare. Unfortunately the following week my box arrived over 24 hours late and the items inside were warm to the touch. I discarded all of the meals due to fears for food safety, and customer support actually did provide a full weeks credit to my account. The third week I never even received a box, and customer support said it was due to a shipping error and offered another credit to my account. I canceled my subscription because of the hassle. The bottom line is that the meals are worth the price if you ever receive them, however if you’re looking for a reliable meal subscription service to make dinnertime easier for your family (like I was) I would recommend looking into other companies.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

Packaging not taped all the way to the edge. Food falling through bottom of box. No labels to tell which ingredients were for what meal! I thought everything for each meal would be in separate bags at the very least. Recipes were wet. All in all not a good experience. Will not order anymore!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

I was a loyal and happy Home Chef client, until they started cheating out on ice packs. When we started they would use 4-6 ice packs. 3 months ago they reduced it to 2. Now this is the middle of the summer. Meat was coming in at 50 - 55 degrees. Not safe to eat. I had to throw out multiple meals, for which they refunded my payment. My request that they fix the problem was acknowledged but not fixed and I cancelled my membership.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

Home Chef is similar to many other meal prep services out there. The one I tried previously was Hello Fresh, and many aspects were extremely alike - types of meals, packaging (mostly - more on that below), recipe/instructions. When the ingredients/packaging were correct/high quality, meals turned out quite tasty. However, I had several deliveries that had issues.

In several deliveries, one of the produce items had gone bad within the time frame I was given to cook the food. In another delivery, the amount of sauce I was given was very small (looked way less than what the recipe indicated), so I had to supplement with some of my own. In a more egregious incident, I opened the box to find that the enchilada sauce had spilled out of the bottle and all over everything. So, not only did I have to spend a bunch of time cleaning out the box and bags to make sure my kitchen didn't become a mess - I also couldn't complete the meal as described since there was effectively no enchilada sauce left.

Finally, a note on packaging - the meat would also ways come packaged such that each pack of meat (say, a package of chicken and a package of beef) would be in their own separate outer package. At first, I thought this was strange - Hello Fresh did not do this. But I quickly found out why - on 2 occasions, the inner packaging of the meat itself seemed to have failed and the juices from the meat were floating in the outer meat package. The outer package, of course, made sure that the meat juice didn't get all over everything else, which was good. However, the fact that this happened at all meant that the badly packaged meat was probably contaminated and not fit for consumption. Also, salvaging the other, unspoiled meat package from the spilled meat juice was an unpleasant experience. Overall, due to these numerous issues with packaging/ingredients in different shipments, I would NOT recommend Home Chef.

Home Chef Company Information