2. Shopping
  3. Meal Delivery Service

3.4/5 (597 ratings)

About Home Chef

Home Chef Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Chef?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Chef?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2021

I started this service because I thought it would be fun and I could maybe get some ideas for food that I wouldn’t normally have tried. I got the box and was impressed by the packaging. I later realized that’s probably what I was actually paying for. I got some chicken with brussels sprouts. The seasoning was a Korean pepper paste and an Italian dressing. Yeah, those two things don’t go together. I had to make some rice and a salad because it definitely wasn’t enough food for 4 servings. The next meal was salmon and green beans. Enough said! Here’s the thing. If you don’t know how to cook and you think salt and pepper are the only real spices you need then, this may be perfect for you. If you are able to go to the store, buy food, chop it up and season properly then you’re 100x better than any Home Chef meal you could ever get. I immediately cancelled my service. What a waste of money! But at least I tried it and will never do anything like this again.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

For two weeks in a row, this company took it upon itself to order meals for me and charged my account $60 without my knowledge. This never happened prior to these past two weeks. I called and complained and removed my account. How are they allowed to do this?

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

Here is my objective review. The food is good, high quality and it's a fun experience. It can be a bit pricey considering each serving being $8.99, but if you're a busy person or looking to expand your palette, this is a good way to do it. For this I would be giving them 4 stars. The reason why I'm giving a 1 star is because there is some trickiness going on. I paused my account due to travel. According from their FAQ, pausing the account is the same as cancelling. To receive future orders, you have to Reactivate.

I decided to Pause the account and promptly received the email with the subject line: "We'll see you soon. Your account has been paused". I didn't even think to open the email because in the coming weeks, I started to get charged $100 per a box. I went back to that same email and realized the SUBJECT and BODY of the email said 2 completely different things. The body said: "We'll see you soon. Your account has been set to reactivate". How tricky!

I called Customer service and kept telling them I'd be willing to share my screen or send them an email to show them this glitch/miscommunication. They didn't want to see it and they had no explanation for it. I wanted a full refund but they were only able to give me 50% refund on food I would never be able to enjoy. As of now, I might have 2 boxes of rotting food at my door and still paying 50% for them = $100. THEY DO NOT GIVE FULL REFUNDS. Beware! If you want to pause, call Customer service to ask them for a DATA DELETION form where your account is completely deleted. Signing up again might take time, but it could potentially save you money and help reduce food waste.

Original review: July 23, 2021

My box was delivered broken not once but twice. I was trying to give Home Chef a chance to fix problem the 1st time but 2nd time all food spoiled on front door and my house front step smelled horrible.

Original review: July 12, 2021

We've been using Home Chef for 4 months. The food is excellent but their delivery arrangement with FedEx is poor. The food is delivered to a group package mail box instead of to our door as requested numerous times. The food is addressed to an apartment number. FedEx has free access to the entire apartment complex. FedEx stuff the food in to the box and leaves. In FL the temps are very hot so the food is exposed to spoilage. PLUS we have back issues and need delivery to our door. Called Home Chef .... Get connected to someone in China somewhere. Called FedEx. Connected to the moon or Mars. They both point their finger to the other and the food keeps getting stuffed in a package mailbox. After this Aug we will stop Home Chef forever. Peace.

Original review: July 9, 2021

Home Chef provides great recipes and the food is always fresh and tasteful. However, it is expensive for the portion sizes. I am always hungry after and need to eat something else. They should increase the portion size or lower the price.

Original review: July 4, 2021

I'd like to first address others poor reviews of others regarding delivery of Home Chef. Once a meal box has shipped via FedEx, it is outside of Home Chef's control. Over the years I have received maybe two boxes that were not safe to consume because of FedEx shipping delays. In both instances, HC responded quickly and resolved the issue to my satisfaction. Rarely, an ingredient wasn't in the box, or produce wasn't up to my standards. Again, in every instance Home Chef has made it right, generally with a credit to my account. Even when I've had questions, they have always responded in less than 24 hours. I've never felt I needed to justify any situation with any meal box.

To the reviewer complaining about small portions, comparing it to McDonald's portions...REALLY???? First of all, McDonald's does not qualify as nutritional food, and second, some people obviously are not aware of appropriate portioning of food, according to USDA guidelines. You get way more nutrition from a Home Chef meal than fast food.

It is apparent that some reviewers are challenged by math. Home Chef meals are $9.95 each, with the Culinary menu items costing more, salads and extras costing less. To get the free weekly shipping you must order a minimum of three entrees (x 2), which is $59.70 per week cost for three meals for two. If you are affiliated in any way as a first responder, critical care, or military, Home Chef offers a PERMANENT 10% discount.

To the person who gave HC four stars because they forgot ONE recipe card and refused to read the recipe from a device, and didn't want to put a piece of notebook paper in their Home Chef recipe binder...Did you think of printing out the recipe in full color from the website and using a three-hole punch to add it to your binder? *eyes rolling*

Home Chef service has consistent quality ingredients, convenient portioning in the meal bags, and good recipe directions. I have "paused" my subscription three times over the past five years, and not once has Home Chef sent me a single marketing (or otherwise) email during those times. I can't think of a single other business that would do that.

Recently I reactivated my subscription and was pleasantly surprised that the cost of each meal had not increased. I like that Home Chef offers quick prep and expert level dishes, as well as "grill ready" selections. During the summer the less time I spend cooking the better! I compared the overall cost, permanent discount, number of entree choices, options for protein substitutes (and the availability of plant-based proteins), and shipping costs between Home Chef and nine other meal delivery services. Home Chef (again) won out on all fronts.

Suggestions for Home Chef: I miss the five minute prep time large salads with protein choices, though I do see them offered sporadically. I would love it if I could order meals in singles because sometimes there's only one person for dinner or, as in our case, I am a pescatarian and my partner is not. If the oh-so-nice (and clearly labeled) Home Chef meal bags were done as single meals (a pain initially to implement, but cost effective once in place) I would probably order more meals per week, and would not have to skip weeks when there's only one of us for dinner.

Original review: June 10, 2021

I rarely write reviews, positive or negative. However. I felt compelled to protect anyone who was thinking of ordering from this company. The cost is 8.99 a meal and you must order 4 meals per week (2 x 2 ppl), an average of $35 per person. I didn’t think the price was bad—until I saw what was in the box. For 2 dinners made of chicken you get one 12 ounce piece of chicken that you cut in half for two meals (you can buy the chicken yourself for 1.69-1.89 pd) you get a handful of vegetables (again split between 2 people) and that’s it. My 10 year old’s kids meals at McDonald's' are bigger.

The meal kits combined are not enough to feed an average size female, much less if there is a man in your household. For 2 weeks in a row my box came all beat up and the meat was thawed. There are many prepared food companies out there. Please do not be like me and waste your money on this one. If you do and are disgusted, don’t say you were not warned. And by the way- don’t bother calling customer service because they don’t care. Obviously they are used to complaints because they were simply rude as if I should have been happy with my 6 ounce piece of chicken. Sorry Home Chef, I am not!!

Original review: May 6, 2021

I have received 4 shipments and here's my experience:

Shipment 1: Box was delivered two days late, all the ice packs were melted and the meats were over 40 degrees. Food too dangerous to eat. Company quickly refunded my money and I decided to try again.

Shipment 2: Box arrived on time, food was ok.. The potatoes sent for one of the meals (Weeknight Steak Bourguignon) were all completely rotten. I supplemented with my own potatoes and once complete, the meal was delicious but it would have been a disaster had I not had potatoes on hand. Shipment also included Shrimp BBQ tacos and Shrimp Diavolo. (I substituted steak in the tacos and chicken in the Diavolo.) Both dishes were good. The tacos are about 6 inches so they are extremely small. I had to give some of my portion to my husband. The pasta dishes are plenty big enough for both our meals.

Shipment 3: Box arrived a day late, ice packs were nearly completely melted but I felt the food was still safe. Food was pretty good but again, portion sizes are small and I felt a bit like I was walking a very thin line on whether or not the food was safe.

Shipment 4: Arrived 1 day late. I received a message from Fedex that the shipment scheduled for Friday, April 30th was not going to arrive until Monday, May 3rd. I contacted HC immediately and expressed my frustration, knowing full well the food would not survive that long. Within an hour I received a message from Fedex that it would arrive on Saturday, May 1st. (Yay HC!) That was great except the package arrived improperly packed and the food was not properly insulated. Meat arrived well over the 40 degree temperature range so I have now received a second box of inedible food! Of course, this happened after the noon cut-off point for this following week's delivery so I'll have one more shipment coming this Friday. Right now we're running at 75% of the shipments arriving late! Still hoping to get a refund from HC on the unusable food from this week's delivery.

In general, these are NOT large portions, especially considering the price point. In fact, my husband frequently has to supplement his meal, but the food, when it arrives on time, is pretty good. I wanted to give a home delivery meal service a chance because I need far less food now that my three sons have left the nest. I was extremely excited about not wasting food because the food service would send just the right amount for each meal. Unfortunately, 6 of my 12 meals have had to go in the trash bin due to spoilage.

My complaint is simply if your company business model is to deliver FRESH food, you should be able to make that goal as a rule, not as an exception!! 75% of my shipments were late. 50% were inedible. I will receive one more shipment since I couldn't get it stopped in time but I am now finished with Home Chef. Hopefully, they will be honorable enough to refund my 4th shipment. Keeping my fingers crossed that shipment #5 will miraculously arrive on Friday as scheduled!

Original review: April 30, 2021

I just received my very first box of food... It was delivered at 56 degrees! That is not a safe temperature. Food must be kept at 42 or below. The ice packs were all melted and the food was just barely cool to the touch. I used a probe thermometer to check temperature of the steak... and the shrimp... Both more than 50 Degrees. I called Home Chef to report the problem, the rep was very short with me as though I was a bother. He tried to say that it's ok that the ice is melted and the food will be fine. ABSURD! I cancelled and requested a refund. I will not cook and serve this food to my family after such poor handling on time and temperature sensitive food. There were shrimp in the box that registered at 61 degrees! UNACCEPTABLE!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

Food never arrived. Home Chef said it did. Tracking number shows it was NOT delivered. 4 day old still in transit and they want me to pay for it. What a scam. These people are not to be trusted under any circumstances.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

Home Chef is at best a scam, when I discovered the sodium content of the meals I tried to cancel my order. No luck. If you have doubts, try to talk to a real person at Home Chef. There's no refunds here, meals are not ready to eat. If you have to cook the meal yourself, where is the convenience? There's not, and if you cook your own meal you can control the ingredients.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

I received a notification from Capital One after signing up for Home Chef. My email address and password for their account was shared on the dark web. I had to immediately change passwords and information shared. It is not secured.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

The food is very good quality ingredients. The recipes are delicious and easy to prepare. I am an experienced cook and enjoy having all the necessary ingredients pre measured and ready to go. The cards are nicely laminated however there have been many times they were placed in the box in a way they get bent. The one time the card wasn't in the box at all is the reason I can't give 5 stars. I called customer service and was told they can't mail me a replacement card. I can print it out but that isn't what I want to do. Notebook paper isn't what I want added to my binder and I hate using my phone to follow a recipe. Other than that they're a great company.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

The meals are always tasty and of course the ingredients are fresh, the directions are simple and clear, customer service is fantastic! Our only complaint is w/ the carrier, they rarely deliver on schedule!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

Instructions to bake meals in provided tray which is plastic. 5 of 10 meals with substituted ingredients that I appear to be less expensive substitutes and you are told about the substitution on delivery day. Meals with missing ingredients. Canceled membership.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

Husband and I Were using Home Chef when it first started, but just cancelled our service. The service started off great enough portions, includes paper shipping used to be on time, Now portions are too small, two servings are not enough for 1 person, I still need to do grocery shopping for missing or unreasonable items. Delivery is always late, not worth it!!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2021

I love Home Chef. It's prepared for you. It's healthy and good delivery was good good rates. I would recommend this to all individuals. It's easy, convenient, quality product. I have friends that order from home chef.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

To start with top notch ingredients all around. At first it seems like too many steps but the final outcome ????. I've had guests comment that they would pay for Home Chef's meal in a restaurant!??? I have learned l lot thru HC and now cook with care and flare!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

2 orders and 2 problems. I am canceling membership. First order I get the wrong meal and the protein (meat) is missing for one. Ok, so I get a credit. I place a second order; eta 8 p.m. but not arrived. Wake up to find an email saying my meal was delivered, "left at the front door". Who the hell does that? Well my gate was never opened and no one rang my bell, which leads me to believe that there was NO delivery at all. However, if there in fact was left at the front door, on the sidewalk, obviously someone was going to steal it. I called 5 times and finally get a response "we apologize for the inconvenience but we are unable to send out a replacement meal". That's IT! Cancel my membership; way too frustrating and stressful; now someone else is enjoying the expensive meal I paid for and all I have is a credit? No thanks! Refund me and close my account!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

This is the 5th service I've tried and found this to be the best one for the super busy person. Most services toss all ingredients for all the meals together into a box. They then have to be separated per meal. Home Chef separates each meal kit into its own well marked clear bag making it super fast to grab your ingredients in one shot. The menu offers different meals with different levels of preparation needs. You can chose meals from culinary meals with more prep, 15 minute meal prep, to no prep at all and the meal in its own prepared pan. The food quantity is also fully sufficient, where some plans I tried had very small portions.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

Food quality and directions were good. Choose to suspend partnership after they moved their delivery from FedEx to some terrible California based company. It's terrible, not because of California, but because the food can't delivered as expected. The food via FedEx as arriving around 1:00 (aka - 13:00) but with this "new" and not so improved company it arrived at 10:00 (22:00) or about nine hours later. Just the thought of the food quality decline after such an extended period of time is a concern. Sadly Home Chef told us it was this delivery company or nothing - guess what? I'll go to another company and you (Home Chef) can save a lot of money using this new delivery company. I'm sure you will be even more efficient when all your customers have left. I hope you got a great price - good luck to ya.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

My husband and I HAD been using Home Chef for a year, but just cancelled our service. The service started off great even when the recipes started getting remarkably similar and the vegetable side was too often squash. Over the last few months, I found myself contacting them at least once or twice a month with issues that they don’t seem to care about.

Due to the lack of care when packing our box, too often was there a puncture or tear in a package of meat causing blood or goo to get all over everything. Sometimes we paid for a fancier meat like filet mignon and didn’t get it. Other times, vegetables were soft, wilted, and the issue that caused the cancellation was that we received a garlic clove that had mold growing on it! The quality of ingredients has gone completely down hill and it’s no longer acceptable considering this isn’t a cheap service. If you had asked me a year ago if I recommend, I would have said yes, but now, heck no!! Do not waste your hard-earned money for inedible ingredients and poor customer service.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

I wanted to try Home Chef as a more affordable meal kit option. My first box arrived on time and the food was great and easy to prepare. Unfortunately the following week my box arrived over 24 hours late and the items inside were warm to the touch. I discarded all of the meals due to fears for food safety, and customer support actually did provide a full weeks credit to my account. The third week I never even received a box, and customer support said it was due to a shipping error and offered another credit to my account. I canceled my subscription because of the hassle. The bottom line is that the meals are worth the price if you ever receive them, however if you’re looking for a reliable meal subscription service to make dinnertime easier for your family (like I was) I would recommend looking into other companies.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

Packaging not taped all the way to the edge. Food falling through bottom of box. No labels to tell which ingredients were for what meal! I thought everything for each meal would be in separate bags at the very least. Recipes were wet. All in all not a good experience. Will not order anymore!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

I was a loyal and happy Home Chef client, until they started cheating out on ice packs. When we started they would use 4-6 ice packs. 3 months ago they reduced it to 2. Now this is the middle of the summer. Meat was coming in at 50 - 55 degrees. Not safe to eat. I had to throw out multiple meals, for which they refunded my payment. My request that they fix the problem was acknowledged but not fixed and I cancelled my membership.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

Home Chef is similar to many other meal prep services out there. The one I tried previously was Hello Fresh, and many aspects were extremely alike - types of meals, packaging (mostly - more on that below), recipe/instructions. When the ingredients/packaging were correct/high quality, meals turned out quite tasty. However, I had several deliveries that had issues.

In several deliveries, one of the produce items had gone bad within the time frame I was given to cook the food. In another delivery, the amount of sauce I was given was very small (looked way less than what the recipe indicated), so I had to supplement with some of my own. In a more egregious incident, I opened the box to find that the enchilada sauce had spilled out of the bottle and all over everything. So, not only did I have to spend a bunch of time cleaning out the box and bags to make sure my kitchen didn't become a mess - I also couldn't complete the meal as described since there was effectively no enchilada sauce left.

Finally, a note on packaging - the meat would also ways come packaged such that each pack of meat (say, a package of chicken and a package of beef) would be in their own separate outer package. At first, I thought this was strange - Hello Fresh did not do this. But I quickly found out why - on 2 occasions, the inner packaging of the meat itself seemed to have failed and the juices from the meat were floating in the outer meat package. The outer package, of course, made sure that the meat juice didn't get all over everything else, which was good. However, the fact that this happened at all meant that the badly packaged meat was probably contaminated and not fit for consumption. Also, salvaging the other, unspoiled meat package from the spilled meat juice was an unpleasant experience. Overall, due to these numerous issues with packaging/ingredients in different shipments, I would NOT recommend Home Chef.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

We are very busy and this was a top food delivery service. The reviews were good. Our boxes always arrived beat up or open. Meat bags were wet and bloody and open all over the other items, twice the protein was missing. Every other week we had to throw out cilantro, or cucumbers or all vegetables. The food was NOT making it to our home in good shape. It was frustrating and we got fed up. We also don't eat pork products yet most of the meals come with bacon or ham etc, etc, it was so incredibly frustrating because you pay all this money for food delivery and then gotta go out and buy fresh ingredients that perished in box and arrived in bad shape. This is the reason we got the delivery of food in first place so that we could save on time at grocery store. Total waste of time and money, very very disappointed!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

The issue with Home Chef isn't the food, it's their shipping policy. They have the audacity to force you to order more in order to get a reasonable shipping charge. I didn't realize this when I subscribed until I noticed a HUGE discrepancy in my cost when I changed my weekly subscription. That change lowered my weekly cost to under $50. Or should have. Home Chef ensured that it stayed at $50. How? By bumping up my shipping charges to more than double. My shipping when my subscription was $53.94 was $6.99. When I dropped it to $35.96, my shipping jumped to over $14/week, bringing my total BACK to $49.99. They more than double the shipping charges for a box that weighs LESS. Based on their shipping chart, my shipping would be $60/month, when it was only $28/month. Way to rip off your clientele. Needless to say, I'll be cancelling the service.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

If you would have asked me 3 months ago, I would've given Home Chef 5 stars easily. The meals are delicious and the directions are clear (and there were rarely any issues with my orders). Unfortunately my last SIX orders have been delivered a day late. By late I do not mean the date of delivery changed, rather my kit sitting somewhere an extra day with icepacks completely melted upon arrival. Due to my previous love for Home Chef I have not wanted to give up on them. Customer service continues to offer me credit after credit, which is appreciated...but I continue to receive warm food and the problem has not been solved.

Home Chef Company Information