Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.99/5

Home Chef Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Chef?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Chef?

Original review: Aug. 16, 2020

Bought Home Chef at Kroger. Been wanting to try them out before subscribing. The meal was meatloaf and mashed potato. I should have read the ingredients before purchase but I didn't until I was ready to cook. There were 1570 mg of sodium in one serving. Cooked and tried it anyway and it was obviously too salty. Only ate half and threw the rest away rationalizing I cut the salt in half. I won't be trying any more.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

For a few months the service was good - several of the first deliveries had missing or moldy items which was rectified after the third delivery. Options are limited, but fairly good. The last few weeks, however, have been horrible. Delayed shipments with last minute notifications, promises of "next day delivery" that turned up two days later, and now notification on the day of expected delivery that the order hasn't even shipped yet. My experience here is that it may be best to find a service elsewhere.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

If I were just rating the food it would probably get 4.5 stars. On occasion, the produce is lacking, but that is a rarity. It is the shipping I have a problem with. Food promised can be a day or two late and at times too warm to use. I canceled their service last year due to delivery delays and mishaps and this year I decided to try them again. And, it is a repeat of the past. Last week I was supposed to get my meal on Wed and it came on Friday and was too warm to use. This week I am notified that it will be late again. This type of thing should be a rare event and not a predictible one. Good Food, Poor Service.

Original review: July 31, 2020

We've been using Home Chef for four months. The food quality has generally been good and the recipes have been relatively easy to prepare and flavorful. However for the past month, we've been having delivery issues resulting in boxes crushed, a day late, or for the past two weeks no food/delivery at all. The Fed Ex tracking just says pending, and we never receive any updates unless we check in with their support team. I really wanted to stay with them, but after a month of major delivery issues, I don't think we can. It seems like they are having both production issues and shipping issues, so I would advise going with a different meal service at this point.

Original review: July 24, 2020

Bad customer service. I have an incident with the supervisor at the pro desk and now the manager is telling me I can defend myself. She was going to address the issue but she keep protecting the guy not the customers. Is not good.

Original review: June 12, 2020

I have been reviewing these home delivery food services and this one, I thought, had the best potential. However, after trying for a week to set up an account and getting errors on the site I thought okay I’m sticking with this and calling support to help. Unfortunately, there is NO way to call, it’s submit an email, so I did. The error I was receiving was my postal zip code was incorrect... I’ve lived here 10 years, I know my zip code. SO I get a response to my email it says try again... I do same thing. I email back same error, she says, "It’s your CSV code, you are entering four digits not three."

I email her back and ask, "Do you accept American Express cards?" She says yes. I tell her, "The error says incorrect postal code remember not CSV code." She says, "Yeah, but maybe you...meaning me, have the wrong address including zip code on your AMEX." I reply, "I’ve lived here for 10 years, same AMEX same zip..." WTF? So benefit of the doubt working, I ask, "Do you have a technology dept that monitors issues with your website because I think this is outside your expertise, can you please give me a number to call?" That was the last communication or contact I had. The response from the child that was emailing me was silence. NICE. Don’t care if they send a personal chef to my house weekly and they kiss my ** daily. Stupidity is not acceptable, not rudeness is worst. They will never get a penny from me.

Original review: June 5, 2020

My friend wanted me to sign up and sent me a code for a free box. I was setting up my account and the website would freeze up whenever I was setting up my profile. I spent over an hour calling customer service twice. The second rep said he would stay on the phone with me until my account was set up but he did not because I was never able to set it up. Wasted an hour of my life on this terrible company.

Original review: May 20, 2020

We were thrilled to find a kosher meal services since there is not much to buy in our area. Unfortunately the problems are overwhelming and include: missing ingredients, missing steps in the recipe, unable to access the recipes, charged for a box that was never shipped, and the owner lying in emails instead of dealing with the problems. I received three meal packets yesterday. I could only download one of the three recipes. I emailed starting yesterday morning asking for access to the other two recipes. I got several emails indicating I would have them in about an hour. It is now a day letter and I am still trying to get those recipes. In the beginning I was willing to blame everything on the pandemic and an increase in customers. That still doesn't excuse lying and ignoring emails.

Original review: April 15, 2020

My husband, son and I are very sick after I made, for the first time, a meal that we had delivered that morning from Home Chef. It was the pork and cauliflower. I only ate one bite of the pork, so I thought it couldn't be that as we are all sick. But the cauliflower. I can't tell if it was the sour cream that had gone bad, the cheddar cheese or something else, but the minute I ate a very large portion of the cauliflower I felt sick. I am guessing it was the cheddar cheese. It just seemed off. I don't think spice can get you this sick.

Everything was packaged beautifully when we received it. The meats/seafood were in a separate bag and each dish came with its vegetables and serving packets of items all together. However, no one, and I mean no one, trusts this food any longer. It doesn't feel as bad as food poisoning I've had in the past with chicken that wasn't cooked enough. There I was retching and almost went to the hospital. So I really don't think it was the meat.

When I called Home Chef they were glad I contacted them and asked a lot of questions and are looking into to it. I don't want anyone else to get sick, and I can tell they don't either. I purchased this through Groupon, however, and was not happy with their response when I asked for a refund. All they could offer was a credit. That's not good enough. I don't want to spend any more on Groupon than I have to and credits just don't cut it when three people are very sick. So for Home Chef there are two stars because even though the food was bad, they are doing something about it. Can I give zero stars to Groupon?

Original review: March 30, 2020

I signed up for weekly meal plans with Home Chef. I chose my meals and immediately my first weekly payment was withdrawn from my account. Afterwards I read different reviews on different sites and decided this program was not for me. Unfortunately there is no way to contact anyone to cancel my subscription. I called the number and held for 15 minutes, then a recording came on and said they were closed and to call back during business hours. This was 10:00 am on a Monday morning - definitely during business hours. There is not an option to cancel subscription online, only to pause service. There is not an option to request a refund online. There is no customer service for this company. It was super easy to sign up and get started and no way to get out. I have sent an email to the "support" team, but not overly confident I will receive a reply. Very frustrating.

Home Chef Company Information