Looking for a meal delivery service?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.08/5

151 Home Chef Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 26, 2019

I really enjoyed Home Chef and told everyone how wonderful it is. I began in August, 2018. For the last month, the "fresh produce" have been horrible. Looks like it's been frozen then thawed. I called twice and was refunded my meals. But, it keeps happening. Who wants to have to inspect the meals as soon as you open the box, only to keep calling them. Such a shame. Maybe they can fix this problem.

Original review: June 12, 2019

This is probably the most terrible customer service I have ever experienced. Two out of the four CSRs I dealt with were extremely rude, and one of them hung up on me. The food that arrived was half-rotten and disgusting. I do not recommend this meal delivery service.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I received a damaged box from them and the customer service technician who replied to my email was extremely rude and unprofessional, a toddler would be better to deal with people than this woman is. That company is a disgrace and the condition of the food inside the box was disgusting, I wouldn't feed it to stray dogs.

Original review: June 10, 2019

Ohmigosh what a mess. What started out as a nice gesture from my son turned into major trauma for my bank account. I lost my job, ended up on social security, in government housing and on food stamps. My son was worried about my nutrition and ordered $60 worth of meal service. First, their site is deceiving. Not user friendly. This was service for two and my sister was a recipient as well. She does not eat fish or beef. I ordered chicken cordon bleu. I received the chicken, salmon and a beef bowl. Not what I wanted. It used all of the money. When the box arrived, the “ice packs” were not frozen and they were leaking with a gummy substance. Nothing in the box was cold. Can you say FOOD POISONING! I threw all of it out, per their sales consultant that I called. So I was supposed to receive credit. I received the following week a pork chop meal and a chicken meal. I cooked the pork chop and I will say that meal was pretty decent.

I had asked for my account to be deactivated. Didn’t know I was supposed to do that myself. Then I see another $37.82 deducted from an already depleted bank account. So I worked forever to try and find a way for me to manually deactivate the account myself. Too late...the shipment has gone and it is beef, sausage, and salmon! None of which we eat. Seriously, why ask us our preferences if you’re not honoring them? So when I call customer service...AGAIN, they give me $18 credit. My account is closed and I will NEVER come back. Poor packaging, poor customer service and a really poor website.

Original review: May 30, 2019

I’m 63 and having been making the same foods since I was a teenager. Frankly, it was beyond boring and stale. I found out about Home Chef while watching videos on my iPad and decided to give them a try. I love it! New flavors. New techniques. I can use NuSalt, reduce the oil, split meals into smaller portions to control calories to fit my lifestyle. And, I’ve discovered I love fish. Who knew.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Chef?

Original review: May 23, 2019

Our Home Chef box was never delivered. We were home the entire time that it was supposedly delivered, and we reached out to contact Home Chef right away. After multiple attempts to contact customer service, with Home Chef trying to deflect blame instead of taking responsibility, I'm forced to file a dispute with the credit card company that I thankfully used for the order. Home Chef refuses to resolve this and issue a refund. I would be out $143.00 if I hadn't used a reputable credit card company - so order at your own risk. Boxes that actually managed to get delivered were more often than not missing entire meals ordered, or key items in the recipe.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I've been using Home Chef for over three years. Delivery has never been a problem. The meals are generally interesting, easy to prepare, and very tasty. I have had few problems, but when I have; Home Chef has been responsive and normally offered a credit to cover any disappointment. My only complaint is the current move to include more pre-prepared ingredients to simplify the preparation process. One of the things I have liked most is the "completely made from scratch" aspect Home Chef offers. I don't want my vegetables to come diced or my sauces in a bag. Having said that, I'm still generally a fan.

Original review: May 20, 2019

I ordered Home Chef through Groupon deal. The deal was 1 week of 3 meals. When I went to Home Chef site to use my Groupon it wouldn't let me order any meals until I registered and gave them a credit card. Even after doing this I still could not order the meals I wanted. So I turned to "CHAT." The person I spoke with assured me that my credit card would not be charged once the Groupon was on file. NOT TRUE. They charged my credit card 2 times and sent me 2 meals that I did not choose. I tried calling customer service and to my surprise the customer service number was not valid. I had to resort to "CHAT" again. I basically argued with these people for over 30 minutes of texting to get a partial refund. I haven't tried the food because it was not anything I would order. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. Would not recommend.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I had tested Home Chef with their introductory box and it was amazing. However once I actually ordered and paid for it it was like Jekyll and Hyde. The produce was absolutely garbage; the arugula look like over cooked spinach, zucchini was slimy and squishy and the potatoes were modeled internally with black spots so much that I thought they were part Dalmatian! Considering it came from South Georgia to North Florida and was here in 12 hours, there's no excuse.

As I stated before, the produce was absolutely an abomination meaning I had to go to the store and buy replacement produce. After already spending $60 for a box of food I should not have to do that. When I cooked the chicken, it shrunk so much it look like I had two chicken nuggets rather than two chicken breast. The flat iron steak, don't bother. I had to devein and remove tendon from my steak. It was so gross! Their idea of seasoning, the whole meal ideas are just tragic. I would never grill zucchini the way they did because it just made it gruesome. And that was after I bought fresh zucchini that literally came in from the field that day. Here's what I did with half of my meals; throughout their recipes. Used my air fryer to cook anything that required oil because that way I didn't need it. Bought other food, bought other seasoning, bought other meat. The point is, don't waste your money because they don't care once they hook you.

Original review: May 15, 2019

The first box was perfect, everything in box and good quality. Then the second box had two items missing and less than acceptable produce, wilting and brown. The third box had 1 item missing and brown dry Brussels sprouts and lettuce that was brown. The fourth and final box had no items missing but green beans that were suppose to be fresh, they were inedible. The were stringy and hard it was horrid. So after each box problem, I contacted customer service. To this day no one has responded to any of my problems. I canceled and you can't even really cancel, I don't want my credit card on file with them. They just suspend your account. I hate this company, no customer service, unscrupulous at best.

Home Chef Company Information