Looking for a meal delivery service?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.09/5

149 Home Chef Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 29, 2019

We have only had two weeks of 2 meals per week. As new customers, we're very pleased with Home Chef. The only thing that was a little disappointing was a little package of fresh parsley because it was a bit wilted. Also the first two boxes have been dented but everything inside was fine. We live in Central Florida and the heat is intense this time of year. That said, our shipments have been cold and safe temperature wise. Regarding cost, I feel the meals are reasonable when you consider this: you would spend much more and have lots of waste if you had to use the variety of spices and fresh produce such as green onions, parsley, fresh basil, etc. to cook at home. I have for years had to throw away lots of wilted unused produce and tossed uneaten leftovers. Now we have 2 tasty meals per week with lots of fun choices and no leftovers.

The meals are quite generous. Then consider what you would spend if the two of you ate out. Say each dinner cost $15; add two glasses of wine at $9, taxes, and a tip. Add $30.00, $18.00, tax about $5, and tip of $10 to $12.00 equals about $63 to $65.00. And my example is using a very reasonable restaurant. We are enjoying choosing different meals to try each week and we're having fun putting them together with very explicit step by step pictures and directions. Our recommendation is GO FOR IT. It's fun, varied, and fresh.

Original review: May 3, 2019

Our favorite meal delivery service. To provide context, we’ve tried 4 meal services. We were with Blue Apron for about a year before making the switch to Home Chef. According to their app we have now cooked 223 Home Chef recipes!! All that should tell you that we clearly love the service. Home Chef to me is good old “simple” delicious meals. Blue Apron was nice but started getting a little tired of their fancy dishes when all I wanted was good home cooking. What we love: High number of choices every week. Easy selection in the mobile app. Great tasting meals. Customer service. What we don’t like: The packaging could be improved. Occasional screw up in ingredient packing.

I’m quite surprised reading some of reviews. People complaining about recurring charges (it’s a weekly delivery service!) or poor customer service. I have had a few issues with missing ingredients or an occasional missing ingredient but customer service has always gone above and beyond to make it right. Considering we’re 223 recipes in, a few mishaps are ok especially since they more than make up for it. My hope is they improve the packaging (more ice and a reprint of the box because fedex always leave it on the side because of the label causing the ice pack to slip down). But that’s a minor complaint. As long as they stick to their core of providing down to earth home cooked meals we will remain a customer.

Get expert buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

For me it has been great. I have made over 50 different recipes in the past 6 months. I have learned to cook new things that I would not have considered trying to make from scratch. The recipes are very easy to follow. I'm not a chef by any stretch, so far I have only messed up 1 recipe, and that was my fault. If you are trying to eat a little healthier and do not want to spend time at the grocery store it's perfect. They give you exactly the amount you need for the meal. It's easy to clean up as you go, just follow the instructions and dispose of what you use in the provided bag.

Everything has been fresh and not over/under seasoned. They only charge you for what you order. If you're even a little internet savvy you can figure out how to skip a week if you're not interested in that particular menu or you are on vacation, but they will pick 2 meals and send them if you don't skip or forget. I will keep ordering from them. I really have no complaints. It does take a little time to adjust to eating fresh if you are used to take out or a lot of junk food. At first it won't seem like enough, but I'm 250 and after each meal I find I'm full. I feel a bit healthier as well.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I have read some reviews for Home Chef on this site and am absolutely baffled. Some of the remarks are inconsistent with their pricing which makes me question were they really reviewing Home Chef. I have ordered over 20 meals with this service for a period of 3 months. I have also tried several other brands which were either overpriced, disorganized, horrific tasting and/or impossible to find an email or person to cancel the service.

Here is a summary of Home Chef’s food: Quality: excellent compared to rotten or foul smelling food from competitors. Price: excellent. I spend as much or more at the grocery store for equivalent meals. Packaging: incredible. From food delivery storage to packaging of each meal kit, quality of food recipe cards etc., organized, organized, organized. Recipes: unbelievable and this is their strongest attribute. Like my 27 yr old son who also orders from them said, “Everything I get is unfricken amazing.”

Selection: unlike some delivery service, there are a ton of choices. Occasionally, I don’t find 3 choices I like. Normally, for these weeks, I find two and am not sure about a third. It is no problem skipping a week. I have saved money using this service since I do not buy more groceries than I need, produce much less of a mess and am trying meals I never cooked before. After 30 yrs, you get tired of the same, old foods. Home Chef is a delight especially compared to their competitors.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Okay, I started with Home Chef about 4 months ago and have been getting 3 meals a week. Reading the reviews on this site it is clear that where you live makes a big difference to the quality of the service. I live in Northern California and my experience has been stellar. So at this point I have probably gotten over 25 different meals. With one exception they have all been extremely adequate to incredibly delicious.

Let me preface this paragraph with a confession that I have cooked all of my life as an amateur. Nightly dinners, dinner parties, holidays, etc. are my bailiwick. Yet I think that makes a huge difference for people that do not have cooking experience I imagine even these simple recipes might be daunting. I can imagine what things will taste like according to the directions and adjust to my taste. I don't think that is true for most people that don't have much cooking experience.

I have not had a single issue with delivery except one time there was a 1 day delay due to the death of President 41. Clearly not their fault. All of the food in the delivery boxes have been impressively, Whole Foods quality. Crisp fresh vegetables, excellent meat (tender after cooking) and fresh fish. I have never had a problem going to the website and sorting out exactly what I want in my order. You just have to be proactive and make changes well in advance. I do agree that there is a lot of packaging but I believe they are all recyclable (at least I have been putting them in the recycle bin). The ooze in the coolant pouches is a bit gross and I could do without that.

Overall I am saving so much money because I like to eat well and have a lot of diversity in my diet and before, when I was pulling recipes off Food Network or some other site, it was really hit or miss if I would like the outcome of the recipe and normally I had to buy a full bottle of each ingredient never knowing if I would use it again. This proved to be expensive on two fronts. One - I had to buy a 15 oz bottle, for example, when I only needed two tablespoons (who knows if I would ever use it again or if it would still be good when I did). This meant that I would pay, say $7.00 for a jar of whatever and then the next time I went to use it - it had gone bad. Factor that into the cost of that recipe!

With Home Chef I get just the amount I need. All the other ingredients like olive oil (or really any cooking oil), salt, pepper, of course anyone has on hand. So overall - I am saving money - portion control was an unexpected perk! And with the exception of the Sweet and Sour Shrimp (just DON'T) it has been a big win for me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Chef?

Original review: July 19, 2019

I started Home Chef May 2019, loved it. Told all my friends how great it was then. 2 weeks in a row boxes arrived destroyed. Home Chef needs to pack the boxes better. Ice packs turn into water and box gets wet.

Original review: July 18, 2019

My husband and I have been ordering Home Chef for just over a year and have been generally thrilled with it. There has been the occasional damaged or missing ingredient, but we have made tons of meals that we otherwise would never have tried. We now have new cooking techniques in our back pockets, so that when we cook with our regular groceries, we can prepare a much greater variety than we had previously. Understandably, sometimes things do not go well in shipping, and while that's incredibly frustrating, the last two tickets I have had to put in to customer service have been answered quickly and provided a solution I was very happy with. In fact, I was so impressed with their customer service, I just googled where I could leave a positive review for Home Chef, which lead me here. Quality ingredients. Fantastic menu selection. Unmatched customer service. I highly recommend this service.

Original review: July 16, 2019

Really disappointed with the service. I’m not one to write bad reviews but I knew instantly after any of the phone today that I would try to protect other people. Received an on Annable box of warm chicken and pork because the delivery was late and had called to cancel. The customer service woman was lovely and told me that I should try the service one more week and that they would be able to change my order if it would not allow me to do if I called in. The issue is when I called back the same customer service person is not available so I speak to a male. He completely discredit everything she says, tells me that not only do I have to stick with that meal but I wouldn’t be able to cancel if I wanted to which was not what she had said initially.

But what I find so offensive and when I want to warn other people about is the meals that they choose of. They’re picking for you literally two plain chickens and a plain pork chop with some kind of dressing or vinaigrette. This is clearly not based off of what is popular with the customers flavor profile as I am not fond of chicken and absolutely based on what cost-effective. Ultimately when I received a poorly packaged and edible box I was going to cancel but the woman I initially talk to was so lovely. However according to the male I spoke with today it doesn’t matter that what happens with the meal I was sent yesterday that I am obligated to not only continue the subscription this week but also to have another two plain chickens and one plain pork. Certainly not worth $60 so please be conscious and if you choose to go with this service do you not trust them to go off of your profile or pick favorites and make sure to pick yourself.

Original review: June 26, 2019

I really enjoyed Home Chef and told everyone how wonderful it is. I began in August, 2018. For the last month, the "fresh produce" have been horrible. Looks like it's been frozen then thawed. I called twice and was refunded my meals. But, it keeps happening. Who wants to have to inspect the meals as soon as you open the box, only to keep calling them. Such a shame. Maybe they can fix this problem.

Original review: June 12, 2019

This is probably the most terrible customer service I have ever experienced. Two out of the four CSRs I dealt with were extremely rude, and one of them hung up on me. The food that arrived was half-rotten and disgusting. I do not recommend this meal delivery service.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I received a damaged box from them and the customer service technician who replied to my email was extremely rude and unprofessional, a toddler would be better to deal with people than this woman is. That company is a disgrace and the condition of the food inside the box was disgusting, I wouldn't feed it to stray dogs.

Original review: June 10, 2019

Ohmigosh what a mess. What started out as a nice gesture from my son turned into major trauma for my bank account. I lost my job, ended up on social security, in government housing and on food stamps. My son was worried about my nutrition and ordered $60 worth of meal service. First, their site is deceiving. Not user friendly. This was service for two and my sister was a recipient as well. She does not eat fish or beef. I ordered chicken cordon bleu. I received the chicken, salmon and a beef bowl. Not what I wanted. It used all of the money. When the box arrived, the “ice packs” were not frozen and they were leaking with a gummy substance. Nothing in the box was cold. Can you say FOOD POISONING! I threw all of it out, per their sales consultant that I called. So I was supposed to receive credit. I received the following week a pork chop meal and a chicken meal. I cooked the pork chop and I will say that meal was pretty decent.

I had asked for my account to be deactivated. Didn’t know I was supposed to do that myself. Then I see another $37.82 deducted from an already depleted bank account. So I worked forever to try and find a way for me to manually deactivate the account myself. Too late...the shipment has gone and it is beef, sausage, and salmon! None of which we eat. Seriously, why ask us our preferences if you’re not honoring them? So when I call customer service...AGAIN, they give me $18 credit. My account is closed and I will NEVER come back. Poor packaging, poor customer service and a really poor website.

Original review: May 30, 2019

I’m 63 and having been making the same foods since I was a teenager. Frankly, it was beyond boring and stale. I found out about Home Chef while watching videos on my iPad and decided to give them a try. I love it! New flavors. New techniques. I can use NuSalt, reduce the oil, split meals into smaller portions to control calories to fit my lifestyle. And, I’ve discovered I love fish. Who knew.

Original review: May 23, 2019

Our Home Chef box was never delivered. We were home the entire time that it was supposedly delivered, and we reached out to contact Home Chef right away. After multiple attempts to contact customer service, with Home Chef trying to deflect blame instead of taking responsibility, I'm forced to file a dispute with the credit card company that I thankfully used for the order. Home Chef refuses to resolve this and issue a refund. I would be out $143.00 if I hadn't used a reputable credit card company - so order at your own risk. Boxes that actually managed to get delivered were more often than not missing entire meals ordered, or key items in the recipe.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I've been using Home Chef for over three years. Delivery has never been a problem. The meals are generally interesting, easy to prepare, and very tasty. I have had few problems, but when I have; Home Chef has been responsive and normally offered a credit to cover any disappointment. My only complaint is the current move to include more pre-prepared ingredients to simplify the preparation process. One of the things I have liked most is the "completely made from scratch" aspect Home Chef offers. I don't want my vegetables to come diced or my sauces in a bag. Having said that, I'm still generally a fan.

Original review: May 20, 2019

I ordered Home Chef through Groupon deal. The deal was 1 week of 3 meals. When I went to Home Chef site to use my Groupon it wouldn't let me order any meals until I registered and gave them a credit card. Even after doing this I still could not order the meals I wanted. So I turned to "CHAT." The person I spoke with assured me that my credit card would not be charged once the Groupon was on file. NOT TRUE. They charged my credit card 2 times and sent me 2 meals that I did not choose. I tried calling customer service and to my surprise the customer service number was not valid. I had to resort to "CHAT" again. I basically argued with these people for over 30 minutes of texting to get a partial refund. I haven't tried the food because it was not anything I would order. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. Would not recommend.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I had tested Home Chef with their introductory box and it was amazing. However once I actually ordered and paid for it it was like Jekyll and Hyde. The produce was absolutely garbage; the arugula look like over cooked spinach, zucchini was slimy and squishy and the potatoes were modeled internally with black spots so much that I thought they were part Dalmatian! Considering it came from South Georgia to North Florida and was here in 12 hours, there's no excuse.

As I stated before, the produce was absolutely an abomination meaning I had to go to the store and buy replacement produce. After already spending $60 for a box of food I should not have to do that. When I cooked the chicken, it shrunk so much it look like I had two chicken nuggets rather than two chicken breast. The flat iron steak, don't bother. I had to devein and remove tendon from my steak. It was so gross! Their idea of seasoning, the whole meal ideas are just tragic. I would never grill zucchini the way they did because it just made it gruesome. And that was after I bought fresh zucchini that literally came in from the field that day. Here's what I did with half of my meals; throughout their recipes. Used my air fryer to cook anything that required oil because that way I didn't need it. Bought other food, bought other seasoning, bought other meat. The point is, don't waste your money because they don't care once they hook you.

Original review: May 15, 2019

The first box was perfect, everything in box and good quality. Then the second box had two items missing and less than acceptable produce, wilting and brown. The third box had 1 item missing and brown dry Brussels sprouts and lettuce that was brown. The fourth and final box had no items missing but green beans that were suppose to be fresh, they were inedible. The were stringy and hard it was horrid. So after each box problem, I contacted customer service. To this day no one has responded to any of my problems. I canceled and you can't even really cancel, I don't want my credit card on file with them. They just suspend your account. I hate this company, no customer service, unscrupulous at best.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I was going between Home Chef & Hello Fresh (highly recommended). I really wanted to try this service and I chose Home Chef to try. My first order arrived 2 days ago. Nicely packaged. Nice pictures of what I ordered with easy instructions. Tonight I planned on trying my first meal, Pesto Shrimp Couscous. I open the package, laid out the ingredients, only to realize one key ingredient was missing. The SHRIMP. Not a Shrimp to be found. Since I don't feel like eating the Couscous tonight, I will settle for another frozen meal. I am truly disappointed. I haven't examined the other two meals I ordered, but based on my first one, I give HOME CHEF A giant thumbs down.

Original review: May 1, 2019

I've tried many such services and this one gets but one star. My first box arrived a day late and I ended up throwing away a lot of the items which, at one day late, were already in a poorly state. The second box arrived last evening and the box was poorly taped which left it mostly opened and exposed to who knows how many FedEx and warehouse rats! I am not impressed with 1. The quality of the food items I received, 2) poor packaging, 3) very simple, mostly pre made sauces and boring, very boring recipes. Regarding sauces. Most other services provide the contents for various sauces - HC provides a premade sauce in a container. Just what's in that sauce and how old is it. At the end of the day, this is not a product worth the cost and time. They should either up their game or get off the court.

Original review: April 24, 2019

We tired home chef because MY HUSBAND works there, so we got a pack for free. Heard loads of good things so I tried and tried, and tired and tried and tried to apply, all of which got declined. They are NOT a growing company and with knowing what they are doing on the inside, this company is going to flop. I advise you to find a better food sourced company.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I tried Home Chef on promotion. The food was good. Problem is I received an order confirmation and I never placed an order. I never saw any language that I was on a automatic plan. Seems a bit desperate and unethical. I cancelled my account, tried to cancel order but it is to be delivered TODAY? I would not trust them.

Original review: April 16, 2019

It’s not possible to access menus without a credit card. Before I did this, the site said I would not be charged until a meal was delivered. But what actually happened was that my card was immediately charged $90. Within 5 minutes, I hit cancel to not get a delivery.. 4 days later, the charge is still on the card. Now I have to call customer service to get them to take it off? Very bad business practices.

Original review: April 12, 2019

All I did was sign in to my dormant account which I had not used in 13 months and they charged me $49.95 without placing an order. I am so upset right now I can ream them a new one but of course there is no customer service email or phone number anywhere to be found. 0 stars from me!!

Original review: April 2, 2019

We decided to try Home Chef after rating all of the home delivery options, and as we live in Chicago, figured there wouldn't be much of an issue with on time deliveries since it's supposedly a Chicago based company. As we are expecting our first child and have very little time to shop or organize food for the week, we were excited by the customizable options and selection. Unfortunately, our very first delivery will now also be our last. Not only was it 24 hours late and we could see that it was on a truck for nearly 3 days, but the food came and was too warm.

I had complained to customer service when it didn't arrive the day it was promised, and they did promptly write me back, but said not to worry, the boxes are made to withstand delivery delay and if the food was at or below 41F, it would be perfectly fine to consume. We checked with our meat thermometer, and everything was 52F... Obviously we threw the shrimp out promptly, and are too scared to eat the rest since I am pregnant and need to exercise even more caution than usual. Customer service didn't even bother to try and rectify the situation, and while I can understand shipping is mostly out of their control, if this is such an issue (as it clearly is for many other customers), why not find a better way?

I just feel bad for all the food that is now wasted because it wasn't handled/shipped properly. Also, if this is how they treat new customers/our FIRST experience with Home Chef, how do they deal with customers who are longer standing??!? To me, if you are so careless with a new client, you don't deserve for us to stick around... why should we? We definitely won't be back- this company and experience didn't suit any of our needs... at all.

Original review: April 1, 2019

The Good: I had the services for a couple of months. Meals were mostly great. Recipes were easy to follow. I learned after a couple of weeks to check the meal prep time and change selections for the week so I didn't end up with meals that I didn't have time to cook on weeknights. All of this was easy to do with their app.

The Bad: Then I ended up with a missing delivery. My weekly package was transported and didn't make it on the normal day. I contacted the customer service to report my missing package. They assured me that everything would be fine with my meals because the packaging was meant to keep the food at the correct temperature. I was concerned that the food had been on a truck for nearly two days already, and since I had a late meeting that night, would continue to sit on my porch for several more hours. The customer service suggestion was that I remove the food from the packaging and test the temperature of the meats to see if they were still good.

Now clearly I was not to blame for the package being miss delivered. Nor was Home Chef, however the recommendation that I come home to retrieve a late food package, unpackage all of the meats, which is messy and bloody, then check the temperature to be sure that it was not spoiled, then repackage them in freezer bags, (that I don't have because I have a meal delivery services and I don't need them) is ridiculous. All of which I expressed the the super attentive customer service representative that never bothered to respond.

When I did arrive home and retrieve my package from the porch, I followed the directions and promptly discovered that indeed my food was not the correct temperate. The dairy products at the top (yogurt for smoothies) was warm, the veggies were wilted but still edible, and the meat at the bottom closest to the completely melted ice packs was not at the recommended storage temperature. I ended up salvaging what was edible and tossing the rest.

The customer service never responded to my comments. They never followed up to see if everything was okay. I cancelled my subscriptions and never received an inquiry. I get it, mistakes happen but it wasn't my mistake, and the reason behind meal subscriptions is convenience. Spoiled food and wasted money is not acceptable. I see online that they are claiming to be the number 1 in customer service, so I thought it was important to inform others to beware.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I used Blue Apron for about a year - repetitious ingredients and too much kale, rice & vinegar in every recipe. THEN I switched to Home Chef and we love everything! The recipes are tastier, many more choices, quality is excellent - I am so glad we are with Home Chef now! My family loves, loves every meal now. I, especially, love this company and look forward to ordering the bbq beef flatbread dinner for guests next time! Super easy and everyone loves it! Christina

Original review: March 22, 2019

Food prep was easy and quality was good. Menus were ok. Product was Always on time. We Needed three portions and that was not an option. So we canceled.

Resolution response: March 17, 2019

Great customer service.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I simply wanted to see the website, check menus and pricing... $29.95 later as I found out... you can’t see the details unless you pre-pay their fee... I told them to keep my fee, cancel my account and I’d warn others. Seems this industry may need some government oversight to fully disclose their billing practices. Avoid at all cost or the very least... $29.95.

Original review: March 7, 2019

When I 1st signed up, over 2 years ago, everything was great! All ingredients, recipe cards included, delivery always on the day selected. Fast forward to 2019. 2 of my BF have been late, the 1st one day late (scheduled Tuesday delivery, arrived Wednesday. It is now Wednesday after 9 pm and it still has not arrived). Mine, scheduled for Friday arrived Saturday. Missing ingredients, and recipe cards. Ripped bags... Considering the price this should not be happening. Really concerned about food safety and I think maybe someone should be inspecting their processes. Kind of sad. I love trying new things and everything was always good. Thinking of cancelling. Wow, it was JUST delivered. 930 pm... 25 hours late. Sigh. But at least it is here!

Home Chef expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Based in Chicago, Home Chef sends fresh ingredients and recipes to customers each week for them to cook their own meals. The company's algorithm suggests meals for you based on your "taste profile," which details what you do and don’t like to eat.

• Easy subscription: Home Chef is a subscription service, meaning that each week new meals are automatically shipped to the customer unless they opt out.

• Various size options: Customers can select box sizes for two, four or six people for perfect portions.

• Gift meals: Meals can be sent as gifts to friends and family.

• Gourmet menu: Their menu options are unique and provide gourmet meals that are easy to cook.

• Special diet options: They offer low-calorie, gluten-free, soy-free and other restricted-diet options.

• Best for: Busy individuals and families, people looking to expand their cooking knowledge and people with dietary restrictions.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs