2. Shopping
  3. Meal Delivery Service

3.2/5 (405 ratings)

About Home Chef

Home Chef Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Chef?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Chef?

Original review: July 4, 2021

I'd like to first address others poor reviews of others regarding delivery of Home Chef. Once a meal box has shipped via FedEx, it is outside of Home Chef's control. Over the years I have received maybe two boxes that were not safe to consume because of FedEx shipping delays. In both instances, HC responded quickly and resolved the issue to my satisfaction. Rarely, an ingredient wasn't in the box, or produce wasn't up to my standards. Again, in every instance Home Chef has made it right, generally with a credit to my account. Even when I've had questions, they have always responded in less than 24 hours. I've never felt I needed to justify any situation with any meal box.

To the reviewer complaining about small portions, comparing it to McDonald's portions...REALLY???? First of all, McDonald's does not qualify as nutritional food, and second, some people obviously are not aware of appropriate portioning of food, according to USDA guidelines. You get way more nutrition from a Home Chef meal than fast food.

It is apparent that some reviewers are challenged by math. Home Chef meals are $9.95 each, with the Culinary menu items costing more, salads and extras costing less. To get the free weekly shipping you must order a minimum of three entrees (x 2), which is $59.70 per week cost for three meals for two. If you are affiliated in any way as a first responder, critical care, or military, Home Chef offers a PERMANENT 10% discount.

To the person who gave HC four stars because they forgot ONE recipe card and refused to read the recipe from a device, and didn't want to put a piece of notebook paper in their Home Chef recipe binder...Did you think of printing out the recipe in full color from the website and using a three-hole punch to add it to your binder? *eyes rolling*

Home Chef service has consistent quality ingredients, convenient portioning in the meal bags, and good recipe directions. I have "paused" my subscription three times over the past five years, and not once has Home Chef sent me a single marketing (or otherwise) email during those times. I can't think of a single other business that would do that.

Recently I reactivated my subscription and was pleasantly surprised that the cost of each meal had not increased. I like that Home Chef offers quick prep and expert level dishes, as well as "grill ready" selections. During the summer the less time I spend cooking the better! I compared the overall cost, permanent discount, number of entree choices, options for protein substitutes (and the availability of plant-based proteins), and shipping costs between Home Chef and nine other meal delivery services. Home Chef (again) won out on all fronts.

Suggestions for Home Chef: I miss the five minute prep time large salads with protein choices, though I do see them offered sporadically. I would love it if I could order meals in singles because sometimes there's only one person for dinner or, as in our case, I am a pescatarian and my partner is not. If the oh-so-nice (and clearly labeled) Home Chef meal bags were done as single meals (a pain initially to implement, but cost effective once in place) I would probably order more meals per week, and would not have to skip weeks when there's only one of us for dinner.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

The food is very good quality ingredients. The recipes are delicious and easy to prepare. I am an experienced cook and enjoy having all the necessary ingredients pre measured and ready to go. The cards are nicely laminated however there have been many times they were placed in the box in a way they get bent. The one time the card wasn't in the box at all is the reason I can't give 5 stars. I called customer service and was told they can't mail me a replacement card. I can print it out but that isn't what I want to do. Notebook paper isn't what I want added to my binder and I hate using my phone to follow a recipe. Other than that they're a great company.

Get buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

To start with top notch ingredients all around. At first it seems like too many steps but the final outcome ????. I've had guests comment that they would pay for Home Chef's meal in a restaurant!??? I have learned l lot thru HC and now cook with care and flare!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

This is the 5th service I've tried and found this to be the best one for the super busy person. Most services toss all ingredients for all the meals together into a box. They then have to be separated per meal. Home Chef separates each meal kit into its own well marked clear bag making it super fast to grab your ingredients in one shot. The menu offers different meals with different levels of preparation needs. You can chose meals from culinary meals with more prep, 15 minute meal prep, to no prep at all and the meal in its own prepared pan. The food quantity is also fully sufficient, where some plans I tried had very small portions.

Original review: July 27, 2020

We have been subscribed for a few weeks now. Only one week the meals came a day late which was ok since we are only doing 3 a week. The recipes are easy to follow and quick to make which is ideal for our situation. Everything is fresh too and stays fresh all week. They pack it really well. Satisfied with this subscription!!

Original review: July 23, 2021

My box was delivered broken not once but twice. I was trying to give Home Chef a chance to fix problem the 1st time but 2nd time all food spoiled on front door and my house front step smelled horrible.

Original review: July 12, 2021

We've been using Home Chef for 4 months. The food is excellent but their delivery arrangement with FedEx is poor. The food is delivered to a group package mail box instead of to our door as requested numerous times. The food is addressed to an apartment number. FedEx has free access to the entire apartment complex. FedEx stuff the food in to the box and leaves. In FL the temps are very hot so the food is exposed to spoilage. PLUS we have back issues and need delivery to our door. Called Home Chef .... Get connected to someone in China somewhere. Called FedEx. Connected to the moon or Mars. They both point their finger to the other and the food keeps getting stuffed in a package mailbox. After this Aug we will stop Home Chef forever. Peace.

Original review: July 9, 2021

Home Chef provides great recipes and the food is always fresh and tasteful. However, it is expensive for the portion sizes. I am always hungry after and need to eat something else. They should increase the portion size or lower the price.

Original review: June 10, 2021

I rarely write reviews, positive or negative. However. I felt compelled to protect anyone who was thinking of ordering from this company. The cost is 8.99 a meal and you must order 4 meals per week (2 x 2 ppl), an average of $35 per person. I didn’t think the price was bad—until I saw what was in the box. For 2 dinners made of chicken you get one 12 ounce piece of chicken that you cut in half for two meals (you can buy the chicken yourself for 1.69-1.89 pd) you get a handful of vegetables (again split between 2 people) and that’s it. My 10 year old’s kids meals at McDonald's' are bigger.

The meal kits combined are not enough to feed an average size female, much less if there is a man in your household. For 2 weeks in a row my box came all beat up and the meat was thawed. There are many prepared food companies out there. Please do not be like me and waste your money on this one. If you do and are disgusted, don’t say you were not warned. And by the way- don’t bother calling customer service because they don’t care. Obviously they are used to complaints because they were simply rude as if I should have been happy with my 6 ounce piece of chicken. Sorry Home Chef, I am not!!

Original review: May 6, 2021

I have received 4 shipments and here's my experience:

Shipment 1: Box was delivered two days late, all the ice packs were melted and the meats were over 40 degrees. Food too dangerous to eat. Company quickly refunded my money and I decided to try again.

Shipment 2: Box arrived on time, food was ok.. The potatoes sent for one of the meals (Weeknight Steak Bourguignon) were all completely rotten. I supplemented with my own potatoes and once complete, the meal was delicious but it would have been a disaster had I not had potatoes on hand. Shipment also included Shrimp BBQ tacos and Shrimp Diavolo. (I substituted steak in the tacos and chicken in the Diavolo.) Both dishes were good. The tacos are about 6 inches so they are extremely small. I had to give some of my portion to my husband. The pasta dishes are plenty big enough for both our meals.

Shipment 3: Box arrived a day late, ice packs were nearly completely melted but I felt the food was still safe. Food was pretty good but again, portion sizes are small and I felt a bit like I was walking a very thin line on whether or not the food was safe.

Shipment 4: Arrived 1 day late. I received a message from Fedex that the shipment scheduled for Friday, April 30th was not going to arrive until Monday, May 3rd. I contacted HC immediately and expressed my frustration, knowing full well the food would not survive that long. Within an hour I received a message from Fedex that it would arrive on Saturday, May 1st. (Yay HC!) That was great except the package arrived improperly packed and the food was not properly insulated. Meat arrived well over the 40 degree temperature range so I have now received a second box of inedible food! Of course, this happened after the noon cut-off point for this following week's delivery so I'll have one more shipment coming this Friday. Right now we're running at 75% of the shipments arriving late! Still hoping to get a refund from HC on the unusable food from this week's delivery.

In general, these are NOT large portions, especially considering the price point. In fact, my husband frequently has to supplement his meal, but the food, when it arrives on time, is pretty good. I wanted to give a home delivery meal service a chance because I need far less food now that my three sons have left the nest. I was extremely excited about not wasting food because the food service would send just the right amount for each meal. Unfortunately, 6 of my 12 meals have had to go in the trash bin due to spoilage.

My complaint is simply if your company business model is to deliver FRESH food, you should be able to make that goal as a rule, not as an exception!! 75% of my shipments were late. 50% were inedible. I will receive one more shipment since I couldn't get it stopped in time but I am now finished with Home Chef. Hopefully, they will be honorable enough to refund my 4th shipment. Keeping my fingers crossed that shipment #5 will miraculously arrive on Friday as scheduled!

Home Chef author review by ConsumerAffairs

Based in Chicago, Home Chef sends fresh ingredients and recipes to customers each week for them to cook their own meals. The company's algorithm suggests meals for you based on your "taste profile," which details what you do and don’t like to eat.

• Easy subscription: Home Chef is a subscription service, meaning that each week new meals are automatically shipped to the customer unless they opt out.

• Various size options: Customers can select box sizes for two, four or six people for perfect portions.

• Gift meals: Meals can be sent as gifts to friends and family.

• Gourmet menu: Their menu options are unique and provide gourmet meals that are easy to cook.

• Special diet options: They offer low-calorie, gluten-free, soy-free and other restricted-diet options.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team