3.89/5
Based on 19 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Home Chef

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Sept. 28, 2017

19 Home Chef Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I like being able to order a full meal and have it delivered to my home and not having to go out for the ingredients and dealing with traffic or busy lines. So easy to order what I want from a great selection and boom there it is at my doorsteps. You can order anything from full meals to appetizers to ice cream or drinks, it's great for home delivery of food. You can order online or you can order straight from the truck using a booklet they carry with them. They run good deals often too. The price can get a little bit high but otherwise, it's great service to order from. I've ordered many many times and that's probably my only dislike and it's not that bad.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

Home Chef had good reviews and it is supposed to be healthy, and that is something I really needed because of my type 2 diabetes. It has helped me tremendously in my fight. I like that it gives me exactly what I need for each meal, it is very healthy (as opposed to what I was used to eating on a regular basis). I like that I don't have to go to a restaurant or a store. It would also be nice if it were a little bit cheaper and have more variety of the types of foods, or snack foods and foods that are more exotic. I also would like there to be more delivered at one time.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

Good variety of meals. It also had very good prices, it was enough to fill me up, it has fast shipping also, I used the free trial for the first meal. It was good but wish the size was bigger, have to buy two just to feed my family, some families do have more than 2 people in them, I have five. There is this site that you can order dinner, I ordered the steak way cheaper than in store, and so juicy, comes with a side and it is so filling, the price is really good too, if you go online you can find a coupon to try for free on your first order just pay shipping.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

Home Chef has all natural and healthy meals that looked appetizing to me. There were other services that provide the same nutritional value, but the meals were plainer or less adventurous for my tastes. So far all of the food has either met or exceeded my expectations in terms of taste and freshness. It also gives you the opportunity to learn how to cook for future meals. The main feature that I like about this service is that I do not have to think about what I am having for dinner. The meals come with everything that I need, including the directions which are usually pretty simple.

Lastly, the food that you get is well balanced with nutrients and all of it is fresh and natural foods that you feel good about eating. The only thing that I dislike about the service is that the meals get a little expensive over time. It is great if you want to do it for a couple of nights out of the week, but if you want most of your meals to come from the service, it is going to get expensive.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

I like the way how they manage their business. They really have a good briefing for their delivery men. I like the way the delivery man delivered our meal. He is polite, nice and kind. He explains well what kind of food he delivered to us. And it is still hot. It's over my expectations because he is so good how to handle their customers. That is the reason why that I am going to tell my friends about this food service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Chef?

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

It fast and fresh and friendly service. You pick a meal you want and pay for it and it cook by a real chef and they cook real healthy meals that include meat like roast beef and all kind of vegetable. It perfect. Work great. I do not dislike it. It come in the mail fast in a box with instruction on how to cook and get everything ready it perfect for a on the go mom and easy to do. They had good food and I don't have to go to the store. It deliver right to our door. You just pick out which meal you want to try and real chef cook it and wrap it and send it.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

After researching the various companies this one was the cheapest, customer service was wonderful. Made it easy to skip a week if you needed to. Priced out the items in the box and compared them to a regular brick and mortar store and found that shopping with meal delivery services was cheaper. Box was in my mudroom ready to be used when I came home from work. They even allow you to choose how often and how many people you needed to feed or get. They even take into account people who may have various food allergies or are gluten-free or vegetarian.

If you have young children in the house this is a great way to get them into the kitchen and learning to enjoy cooking. Easy to understand recipes, quick service, takes the thinking out of creating a dinner for a family. Easy enough to do so that a family always on the go can quickly make and go. If I had one thing to change it would have to be the ability to choose other options for side dishes and not just the protein item.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I was looking for a food delivery company that I could rely on, and so I was referred by a friend to this company who had a positive experience with it in the past. They told me their customer service was excellent and the food was good. I was inspired by their experience so I then read the reviews on Yelp and it seemed to be a pretty reputable company, so I decided to give it a try.

The food was good and the customer service was excellent. I really enjoyed talking to the delivery driver and I found it very easy to order food. Very friendly business with great tasting food. I've ordered from businesses that were very subpar in those senses, so it's refreshing to have a positive experience for once. But delivery time was a little slow. The food wasn't as hot as it could have been. I understand that there are a lot of deliveries that need to go out and they have to cook and or get the food before they bring it to you, but there should be a way to keep it hotter longer. Like maybe use an insulated bag or something similar. I also found the service to be a little on the pricey side, but I guess it is to be expected when they bring the food to you.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I love the different types of meal and that you can only get two meals a week if you like. Most services make you get at least 3. I also really like that you don't ever see the same meal twice. I wish there were more fish options. I guess it would also be nice if there were some veggie options and more turkey options instead of just beef and chicken. Hoe Chef service is always being on time and always having new and exciting meals. Also the food is always fresh. The deliveries come early in the day too.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I originally chose to order Home Chef because they had a great deal to sign up for new customer initially so it was definitely worth a try. The food was actually pretty good and it was shipped to me in a very timely fashion. I enjoyed that all of the ingredients were in the box and it was very easy to prepare the meals each day. There was very little thought involve behind meal preparation. This is great for single people or a married couple. But if you have a family of four or more it can end up being very expensive and really not affordable at all.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

The vegetables were fresh and the flavors were out of the ordinary. Home Chef used food I don’t ever use and that was fun. It was really nice having it delivered and not having to look all over for specialty items. It was fast to prepare as far as cooking goes but the pea tips required a lot of preparation. One of the sauces tasted like plastic, it had an off artificial taste I did not care for. The box was packed in such a way that allowed the heaviest items to bruise the vegetables when the box was upended during shipping. Also, the first box was free and the second box was required. You could cancel only after payment for the second box had been received. I didn’t have any problem cancelling, I just saved one of their cards that come in every box under a fridge magnet and called about 4 days after we had that second box. It stored 2 days before we prepared it.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

A friend recommended Home Chef to me and I tried it. Not bad for this type of business. The food is very fresh and exquisite. A must for anyone who wants good food. Presentation was great, the food looked good and matched my food palate tastes. Also, directions were easy to follow. Everything I needed was in the box. However, Home Chef is a little expensive. Price should be lower especially if you are a repeat customer. They should also provide alternate preparation recipes using the same ingredients.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

They have lots of choices to chose from so they're a nice company to be with and also they do have good deals to choose from. They're so good to order from. You will lose pounds from ordering their products because you will lose weight. You will also be healthy. However they take too long to order from because they give in business day, like 7-9 days to give you your order. I don't like it because I want my order. I love them.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I don't have to leave the house. This is a plus as I have a difficult time with mobility and stool related issues. It is easier to stay at home where I feel safe than it is to leave the house. However some of the food gave me liquid stool. This was problematic due to my mobility issues. There were a few times I didn't make it in time and made a mess on myself. Help didn't arrive until many hours later which meant I was sitting in my own stool for hours. Just wish the food settled with me better.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

I had tried other services before but this one kind of had that variable I was looking for. Knowledgeable staff and friendliness go a long way with me when it comes to deciding from mail order food services. They also have a great selection and quality to be honest. The portions are just right and there are seasonal items that are quite delicious. The staff that I communicate with provided great suggestions as well. Aside from their great service and knowledgeable staff, I would like to see a more personalized plan service where the menu is catered to my health needs.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

I like the idea of vegetarian food delivery services with a wide variety of meals for the whole family. It’s top ingredients and taste great and it’s healthy and organic. There are about 10 to 13 new meals each week. There are no commitments to this company. I would tell people, “You can try it for free and after that it’s not expensive.” It is such a change to fix healthy foods that taste good.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

It was quick and easy to cook along with fresh ingredients and follow instructions. It came with a recipe book as well so if we would have continued the service it would have made for a great place to keep all the recipes of the meals that we liked in a neat location which had accompanying pictures that helped make decisions on what to pick for the meals that week. However, there aren't a lot of vegetarian or vegan options. Most of the options contained mushrooms and or dessert options which we could not eat for dinner. They do have a lot of good looking meals for meat eaters but again not much for the vegetarian. I would not recommend the site to my friends unless they lived in a big city where going to the grocery store is a hassle because it cost about $10 per person per meal which is about the cost of going out to eat.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

I liked the food and customer service at Home Chef. Their meals were easy to make, and you could pick meals based on the difficulty to make. Plus, there was varied to choose from each week. The ingredients were fresh and were already measured out for me, and I didn't have to go to the store. Particularly, it inspired me to cook more often and to learn more skills in the kitchen without the intimidation of looking for new ingredients in the store. However the price was not reasonable for doing it on a regular basis. It is more of an indulgence. In addition, the meal sizes I found were perfect for me, but my partner was not always satisfied with the size of the meal.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

All of the ingredients I would need to make a meal were shipped right to me. It encouraged me to try new recipes that I would not normally have done. However it was simply too complicated for me to make the recipes. I eat rather simply normally. I was also concerned about whether the foods were being properly maintained during shipment and after they left the box on my doorstep. I had to cancel the program. I would not recommend it. We can do better just buying our ingredients at the grocery store.

Home Chef expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Based in Chicago, Home Chef sends fresh ingredients and recipes to customers each week for them to cook their own meals. The company's algorithm suggests meals for you based on your "taste profile," which details what you do and don’t like to eat.

• Easy subscription: Home Chef is a subscription service, meaning that each week new meals are automatically shipped to the customer unless they opt out.
    • Various size options: Customers can select box sizes for two, four or six people for perfect portions.
    • Gift meals: Meals can be sent as gifts to friends and family.
    • Gourmet menu: Their menu options are unique and provide gourmet meals that are easy to cook.
    • Special diet options: They offer low-calorie, gluten-free, soy-free and other restricted-diet options.
    • Best for: Busy individuals and families, people looking to expand their cooking knowledge and people with dietary restrictions.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs