Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.00/5

Unsubscribe at any time.

Home Chef Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Chef?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Chef?

Original review: July 27, 2020

We have been subscribed for a few weeks now. Only one week the meals came a day late which was ok since we are only doing 3 a week. The recipes are easy to follow and quick to make which is ideal for our situation. Everything is fresh too and stays fresh all week. They pack it really well. Satisfied with this subscription!!

Original review: July 7, 2020

My friend Sindra is an empty nester that loves to cook. Although I eat servings enough for a party of three, she consistently cooks me amazing meals from Home Chef. I get to taste dishes from around the world on a daily basis, in the comfort of her home. These meals taste as if she has been cooking for days, when in reality it has been 45 minutes or less. The flavors are savory, sweet and everything in between...kind of like our friendship. Thank you Home Chef!

Get buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: May 15, 2020

We have been using Home Chef since April 2017. We love the service and the food. We do not have delivery problems, as some have mentioned in earlier reviews. The food is fresh and there is a decent variety. We "default" to low carb meals but have the option of changing to any of the other meals offered that week. There are regular prep time (15-30 minutes) menus, quick prep versions, and some that even bake in a provided pan. I especially like that they added the customize option so we can change up the type or amount of protein if we choose to. Also, we have enjoyed being introduced to some new combinations and sauces we otherwise wouldn't have experienced. Please bear in mind that unsatisfied customers are much more likely to leave a review than a satisfied customer. I know there are many others out there like us, who really like Home Chef.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

Forgot to skip next week's meal, and saw in e-mail the order had processed. I've been holding off on Home Chef until I get my new job. I called their customer service hoping it wasn't too late to cancel, and got a friendly, courtesy refund. :)

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

I love using Home Chef because it's super convenient, the food is delicious, and the amount of money spent on food has reduced. My partner and I are a childless couple for now, and this is great because it has just two servings which is perfect for our little family. I don't have the monthly subscription any longer because it did feel a bit intimidating having to cook all of the meals before the next box because we skipped a meal or decided to go out. But we still use their products because they have them at our local King Soopers which is nice because I can pick it up whenever I am ready and I am able to look at how fresh the produce is in the box before I purchase! All and All it's worth it!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

The issue with Home Chef isn't the food, it's their shipping policy. They have the audacity to force you to order more in order to get a reasonable shipping charge. I didn't realize this when I subscribed until I noticed a HUGE discrepancy in my cost when I changed my weekly subscription. That change lowered my weekly cost to under $50. Or should have. Home Chef ensured that it stayed at $50. How? By bumping up my shipping charges to more than double. My shipping when my subscription was $53.94 was $6.99. When I dropped it to $35.96, my shipping jumped to over $14/week, bringing my total BACK to $49.99. They more than double the shipping charges for a box that weighs LESS. Based on their shipping chart, my shipping would be $60/month, when it was only $28/month. Way to rip off your clientele. Needless to say, I'll be cancelling the service.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

If you would have asked me 3 months ago, I would've given Home Chef 5 stars easily. The meals are delicious and the directions are clear (and there were rarely any issues with my orders). Unfortunately my last SIX orders have been delivered a day late. By late I do not mean the date of delivery changed, rather my kit sitting somewhere an extra day with icepacks completely melted upon arrival. Due to my previous love for Home Chef I have not wanted to give up on them. Customer service continues to offer me credit after credit, which is appreciated...but I continue to receive warm food and the problem has not been solved.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2020

Bought Home Chef at Kroger. Been wanting to try them out before subscribing. The meal was meatloaf and mashed potato. I should have read the ingredients before purchase but I didn't until I was ready to cook. There were 1570 mg of sodium in one serving. Cooked and tried it anyway and it was obviously too salty. Only ate half and threw the rest away rationalizing I cut the salt in half. I won't be trying any more.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

For a few months the service was good - several of the first deliveries had missing or moldy items which was rectified after the third delivery. Options are limited, but fairly good. The last few weeks, however, have been horrible. Delayed shipments with last minute notifications, promises of "next day delivery" that turned up two days later, and now notification on the day of expected delivery that the order hasn't even shipped yet. My experience here is that it may be best to find a service elsewhere.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

If I were just rating the food it would probably get 4.5 stars. On occasion, the produce is lacking, but that is a rarity. It is the shipping I have a problem with. Food promised can be a day or two late and at times too warm to use. I canceled their service last year due to delivery delays and mishaps and this year I decided to try them again. And, it is a repeat of the past. Last week I was supposed to get my meal on Wed and it came on Friday and was too warm to use. This week I am notified that it will be late again. This type of thing should be a rare event and not a predictible one. Good Food, Poor Service.

Home Chef author review by ConsumerAffairs

Based in Chicago, Home Chef sends fresh ingredients and recipes to customers each week for them to cook their own meals. The company's algorithm suggests meals for you based on your "taste profile," which details what you do and don’t like to eat.

• Easy subscription: Home Chef is a subscription service, meaning that each week new meals are automatically shipped to the customer unless they opt out.

• Various size options: Customers can select box sizes for two, four or six people for perfect portions.

• Gift meals: Meals can be sent as gifts to friends and family.

• Gourmet menu: Their menu options are unique and provide gourmet meals that are easy to cook.

• Special diet options: They offer low-calorie, gluten-free, soy-free and other restricted-diet options.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team