Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.96/5

Home Chef Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Chef?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Chef?

Original review: July 27, 2020

We have been subscribed for a few weeks now. Only one week the meals came a day late which was ok since we are only doing 3 a week. The recipes are easy to follow and quick to make which is ideal for our situation. Everything is fresh too and stays fresh all week. They pack it really well. Satisfied with this subscription!!

Original review: July 24, 2020

My experience about this company is wonderful. Great quality of products. I bought products from the company 9 times. The quality of products was great. Everyone who looked the products became a regular customer of the company.

Get buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 7, 2020

My friend Sindra is an empty nester that loves to cook. Although I eat servings enough for a party of three, she consistently cooks me amazing meals from Home Chef. I get to taste dishes from around the world on a daily basis, in the comfort of her home. These meals taste as if she has been cooking for days, when in reality it has been 45 minutes or less. The flavors are savory, sweet and everything in between...kind of like our friendship. Thank you Home Chef!

Original review: May 15, 2020

We have been using Home Chef since April 2017. We love the service and the food. We do not have delivery problems, as some have mentioned in earlier reviews. The food is fresh and there is a decent variety. We "default" to low carb meals but have the option of changing to any of the other meals offered that week. There are regular prep time (15-30 minutes) menus, quick prep versions, and some that even bake in a provided pan. I especially like that they added the customize option so we can change up the type or amount of protein if we choose to. Also, we have enjoyed being introduced to some new combinations and sauces we otherwise wouldn't have experienced. Please bear in mind that unsatisfied customers are much more likely to leave a review than a satisfied customer. I know there are many others out there like us, who really like Home Chef.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

Forgot to skip next week's meal, and saw in e-mail the order had processed. I've been holding off on Home Chef until I get my new job. I called their customer service hoping it wasn't too late to cancel, and got a friendly, courtesy refund. :)

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

Food quality and directions were good. Choose to suspend partnership after they moved their delivery from FedEx to some terrible California based company. It's terrible, not because of California, but because the food can't delivered as expected. The food via FedEx as arriving around 1:00 (aka - 13:00) but with this "new" and not so improved company it arrived at 10:00 (22:00) or about nine hours later. Just the thought of the food quality decline after such an extended period of time is a concern. Sadly Home Chef told us it was this delivery company or nothing - guess what? I'll go to another company and you (Home Chef) can save a lot of money using this new delivery company. I'm sure you will be even more efficient when all your customers have left. I hope you got a great price - good luck to ya.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

My husband and I HAD been using Home Chef for a year, but just cancelled our service. The service started off great even when the recipes started getting remarkably similar and the vegetable side was too often squash. Over the last few months, I found myself contacting them at least once or twice a month with issues that they don’t seem to care about.

Due to the lack of care when packing our box, too often was there a puncture or tear in a package of meat causing blood or goo to get all over everything. Sometimes we paid for a fancier meat like filet mignon and didn’t get it. Other times, vegetables were soft, wilted, and the issue that caused the cancellation was that we received a garlic clove that had mold growing on it! The quality of ingredients has gone completely down hill and it’s no longer acceptable considering this isn’t a cheap service. If you had asked me a year ago if I recommend, I would have said yes, but now, heck no!! Do not waste your hard-earned money for inedible ingredients and poor customer service.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

I wanted to try Home Chef as a more affordable meal kit option. My first box arrived on time and the food was great and easy to prepare. Unfortunately the following week my box arrived over 24 hours late and the items inside were warm to the touch. I discarded all of the meals due to fears for food safety, and customer support actually did provide a full weeks credit to my account. The third week I never even received a box, and customer support said it was due to a shipping error and offered another credit to my account. I canceled my subscription because of the hassle. The bottom line is that the meals are worth the price if you ever receive them, however if you’re looking for a reliable meal subscription service to make dinnertime easier for your family (like I was) I would recommend looking into other companies.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

Packaging not taped all the way to the edge. Food falling through bottom of box. No labels to tell which ingredients were for what meal! I thought everything for each meal would be in separate bags at the very least. Recipes were wet. All in all not a good experience. Will not order anymore!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

I was a loyal and happy Home Chef client, until they started cheating out on ice packs. When we started they would use 4-6 ice packs. 3 months ago they reduced it to 2. Now this is the middle of the summer. Meat was coming in at 50 - 55 degrees. Not safe to eat. I had to throw out multiple meals, for which they refunded my payment. My request that they fix the problem was acknowledged but not fixed and I cancelled my membership.

Home Chef author review by ConsumerAffairs

Based in Chicago, Home Chef sends fresh ingredients and recipes to customers each week for them to cook their own meals. The company's algorithm suggests meals for you based on your "taste profile," which details what you do and don’t like to eat.

• Easy subscription: Home Chef is a subscription service, meaning that each week new meals are automatically shipped to the customer unless they opt out.

• Various size options: Customers can select box sizes for two, four or six people for perfect portions.

• Gift meals: Meals can be sent as gifts to friends and family.

• Gourmet menu: Their menu options are unique and provide gourmet meals that are easy to cook.

• Special diet options: They offer low-calorie, gluten-free, soy-free and other restricted-diet options.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team