Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.03/5

Home Chef Reviews

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

I have tried other meal delivery services. Blue Apron which was way too time consuming and complicated. HelloFresh didn't arrive the first week, the box was all wet and damaged the second week and the third week didn't arrive again. Home Chef is by far the best service out there. They arrive every week as scheduled, the food is still cold and ice still frozen, the meal choices are many and so good, and the food is easily prepared with easy to follow recipes.

I order 2 meals a week for 4 people and prepare both meals every Tuesday evening - that is how simple these meals are to prepare. Everyone that tastes these meals is impressed. The price is by far cheaper than going to the supermarket and buying full sized bottles of ingredients that you may never use again. That being said, there are hardly any recipes that I wouldn't personally make again. I cannot say enough good things about this delivery service...Thank you Home Chef for making my life a little easier...

Original review: July 26, 2019

I'm going to start by saying the ingredient quality of the food is great. Everything is really fresh and clean and I liked it. The recipes are good, albeit maybe the menu I picked all had a high % of fat as calories - and that's a problem with my macros. However, the recipes are delicious. The biggest IF and I think it would apply to the whole industry is the amount of waste generated by this service, which if you're environmentally conscious, it's a deal breaker. While the plastic of the "coolers" can be recycled, you still have to dispose of the gel, and pretty much everything inside comes in a plastic wrap. If there was a way to reuse, or recycle all of this or avoid this amount of waste I would reconsider subscribing, because the convenience is great.

Get expert buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 18, 2019

My husband and I have been ordering Home Chef for just over a year and have been generally thrilled with it. There has been the occasional damaged or missing ingredient, but we have made tons of meals that we otherwise would never have tried. We now have new cooking techniques in our back pockets, so that when we cook with our regular groceries, we can prepare a much greater variety than we had previously. Understandably, sometimes things do not go well in shipping, and while that's incredibly frustrating, the last two tickets I have had to put in to customer service have been answered quickly and provided a solution I was very happy with. In fact, I was so impressed with their customer service, I just googled where I could leave a positive review for Home Chef, which lead me here. Quality ingredients. Fantastic menu selection. Unmatched customer service. I highly recommend this service.

Original review: June 29, 2019

We have only had two weeks of 2 meals per week. As new customers, we're very pleased with Home Chef. The only thing that was a little disappointing was a little package of fresh parsley because it was a bit wilted. Also the first two boxes have been dented but everything inside was fine. We live in Central Florida and the heat is intense this time of year. That said, our shipments have been cold and safe temperature wise. Regarding cost, I feel the meals are reasonable when you consider this: you would spend much more and have lots of waste if you had to use the variety of spices and fresh produce such as green onions, parsley, fresh basil, etc. to cook at home. I have for years had to throw away lots of wilted unused produce and tossed uneaten leftovers. Now we have 2 tasty meals per week with lots of fun choices and no leftovers.

The meals are quite generous. Then consider what you would spend if the two of you ate out. Say each dinner cost $15; add two glasses of wine at $9, taxes, and a tip. Add $30.00, $18.00, tax about $5, and tip of $10 to $12.00 equals about $63 to $65.00. And my example is using a very reasonable restaurant. We are enjoying choosing different meals to try each week and we're having fun putting them together with very explicit step by step pictures and directions. Our recommendation is GO FOR IT. It's fun, varied, and fresh.

Original review: May 3, 2019

Our favorite meal delivery service. To provide context, we’ve tried 4 meal services. We were with Blue Apron for about a year before making the switch to Home Chef. According to their app we have now cooked 223 Home Chef recipes!! All that should tell you that we clearly love the service. Home Chef to me is good old “simple” delicious meals. Blue Apron was nice but started getting a little tired of their fancy dishes when all I wanted was good home cooking. What we love: High number of choices every week. Easy selection in the mobile app. Great tasting meals. Customer service. What we don’t like: The packaging could be improved. Occasional screw up in ingredient packing.

I’m quite surprised reading some of reviews. People complaining about recurring charges (it’s a weekly delivery service!) or poor customer service. I have had a few issues with missing ingredients or an occasional missing ingredient but customer service has always gone above and beyond to make it right. Considering we’re 223 recipes in, a few mishaps are ok especially since they more than make up for it. My hope is they improve the packaging (more ice and a reprint of the box because fedex always leave it on the side because of the label causing the ice pack to slip down). But that’s a minor complaint. As long as they stick to their core of providing down to earth home cooked meals we will remain a customer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Chef?

Original review: March 13, 2020

I love Home Chef for their food and recipes. The quality of their ingredients is top notch. Unfortunately, there are consistent problems with their shipping company causing the boxes to arrive sometimes a day late. This is a problem since we often don't know what environment the packages are in during transit. Often the ingredients seem a little warm and that is dangerous when talking about meats. I hope they are able to fix these problems. They always refund the payment but it is a bit of a hassle when one has planned on meals.

Original review: March 12, 2020

I have tried a few meal delivery service and Home Chef has the best dishes. There have been several meals that I wasn't a fan of, but most meals taste really good. The recipe is easy to read & understand, it's educational if you are into cooking and dishes taste great most of the times. However, ingredients are sometimes not fresh. I have had several packages that had vegetables that were almost gone bad.

But the most questionable part of Home Chef is the customer service. The other day, I received a message inside their website in regards to $20 credit that I earned by giving a free box to my friend. But the next time I logged onto my account, the credit was nowhere to be found. The representative's response was "we do not give away credit when you offer your friend a free box." We exchanged messages twice but the synonym of her messages was pretty insulting as if I was lying about it just to get credit. When I contacted them about something else, which was a website malfunction, the response was nowhere near friendly or polite either. I will continue their service, but hope no major issue happens along the way because I know it would be difficult to find the solution with them.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

Forgot to skip next week's meal, and saw in e-mail the order had processed. I've been holding off on Home Chef until I get my new job. I called their customer service hoping it wasn't too late to cancel, and got a friendly, courtesy refund. :)

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

When I signed up for Home Chef in September 2019, I was very skeptical after reading the reviews. However, my first box arrived and the food was perfect. I received several more boxes, all with great quality food and delivered on time. That's why I'm giving them 3 stars. They'd get more if the delivery was more reliable.

Fast forward to my delivery the week of Thanksgiving. I had my days set to Wednesday and figured I would be ok receiving it that week since it was the day before the holiday. Wrong. FedEx rescheduled my delivery to Friday. When it delivered, one of the meats was bad. Home Chef did promptly refund my order. Between Thanksgiving and Christmas, again, no issues with delivery or food quality. But then the week of New Year's, my order was set to come on a Tuesday because of the holiday on Wednesday. Nope, delayed again. So strike #2 because of FedEx.

And now this week's delivery. For an unexplained reason, FedEx sent my delivery to Ohio from Chicago. This changed my delivery by 2 whole days. So I seriously don't trust the quality of the food in that box at this point in time. 3 strikes and you're out, all due to FedEx. Sorry Home Chef, if you pick a different carrier I'd consider coming back, but FedEx is terrible.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

I got a gift card for Home Chef. Ordered 3 meals the first week. Salads were really good and convenient. I submitted another order and got an email confirmation. The morning the delivery was scheduled, I got an email saying it was skipped. I emailed support and they said the remaining gift card balance wasn’t sufficient to cover the order and I didn’t have a credit card on file. She said I could call to see if they can get the order to me. I updated my account with a credit card and emailed back to see if I could get it. Told her it was rather inconvenient since I had planned to get the meals this week and I have a newborn baby at home.

I asked if I can still get the delivery, otherwise I’d like the credit in my account to be refunded to me. She wrote back saying they can’t send me the order and apologized for suggesting they could. They use pre-written emails in their responses and she shouldn’t have sent that. Then she sent my refund to the person who purchased my gift card! I got a survey and gave her a bad review and she wrote me back to complain about the feedback and that there’s nothing she specifically could have done. Then she paused my account. I thought this service was pretty good until I had to deal with customer support.

Home Chef expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Based in Chicago, Home Chef sends fresh ingredients and recipes to customers each week for them to cook their own meals. The company's algorithm suggests meals for you based on your "taste profile," which details what you do and don’t like to eat.

• Easy subscription: Home Chef is a subscription service, meaning that each week new meals are automatically shipped to the customer unless they opt out.

• Various size options: Customers can select box sizes for two, four or six people for perfect portions.

• Gift meals: Meals can be sent as gifts to friends and family.

• Gourmet menu: Their menu options are unique and provide gourmet meals that are easy to cook.

• Special diet options: They offer low-calorie, gluten-free, soy-free and other restricted-diet options.

• Best for: Busy individuals and families, people looking to expand their cooking knowledge and people with dietary restrictions.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team