3.7/5 (1086 ratings)

About Home Chef

Home Chef Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Chef?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Chef?

Original review: Sept. 30, 2022

I LOVED the meal kits at first and the convenience they offered. These were just what my diet needed. The produce was fresh and crisp. The directions were easy to follow. Now all I get is rotten produce that has been frozen against their ice packs. The recipe cards are often a mutilated mess and all folded up and if they aren't all folded up, they've gotten wet! For the price of the meals I expected much much more. Proud to be counted as a FORMER customer.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

First, the prep time listed on these meals is about 50% less than it actually takes. Some are WAY more trouble than they are worth. Second, they just throw the paper recipe pages in the box with the food and the ice packs. With one exception, we've had to go online, find the recipes, download and print them again. A hassle. The food is pretty good, the quality of meat is fairly impressive. But I'm pretty sure that I could do as well with a recipe book and a trip to the store - and pay less.

Also, we are a family of 3. So, we have to either order 2 servings and someone doesn't eat or 4 servings and throw some out. The biggest problem is that the # of days allotted to prepare these meals means they have to be made almost every night or every other night. It's a race to beat the expiration dates every week. It leaves little room for a night off or going out to dinner or a spontaneous "pizza night," etc.. We're in our 5th month. I'm not a fan.

Get buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2022

I was very pleased with Home Chef‘s meal service plan for the first couple of months. The meals were quite good, the ingredients fresh, and the directions simple. As the weeks went on, there ended up being more and more mistakes. I often had missing directions and missing ingredients. This past week all of my meals were missing ingredients and some of the ingredients were not fresh. I was sad to see this happen because I was so pleased with them for the first several months. I am not sure what is going on, but I am going to try another service.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2022

I looked at Home Chef's website to try and determine if I wanted to start an order with them. After I got on the site I couldn't see what food they offered or if the food would be able to fit my dietary restrictions. So I figured I'd make an account to look at what food they offered. BIG MISTAKE. To make an account you must link a credit card to your account. After putting in that information I continued to the menu and found out they couldn't meet my dietary restrictions and immediately canceled my account. After a few days I got a notification that my Home Chef order had shipped. Even after I had canceled my account five minutes after creating it. I am not expecting 4 meals of food I can't even eat. So not only do they scam you they also waste food because they're sending meals to people who don't even want them. Shameless business model. I recommend using a less shady company.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2022

This is about Home Chef's data security breach in 2020. I found out that they still had my data on file in 2022, even if I had not ordered any food from them for a long time. I found out- because my phone had been hacked and ALL my crypto was stolen - a total of $6,000-. (Which is a lot of money for me.) I added Bitdefender to my phone to trace what had happened. It turns out that my phone had been breached ONE single time, and that breach was by HOME CHEF! I contacted Home Chef's customers service, and was told that my information was sent to their Legal Team. I had of course asked them to reimburse me for my loss, and their legal team was supposed to get back to me. (The guy I spoke with in customer service was VERY rude by the way. As if I had dome something wrong by calling him.) Anyway, I NEVER heard back from customer service or their "legal team" again. I just can't believe that they treat customers like that. I will never order food from them again, ever.

Original review: July 25, 2022

I was charged $99 for my box this week and the meals are good but it’s too high to get charged just for your box not to show up. We are in the middle of an inflation and money being wasted during this time is ridiculous. My delivery instructions are clear and concise. I let them know how to get into my complex, exact instructions on how to get to my building and exact door number. The address and the door number is on the box as well.

It does not make sense to me that one of the delivery partners at Veho delivered my box to the wrong door. Not to mention, I didn’t even receive a phone call from my gate which leads me to believe that they probably weren’t even in my complex like I thought. I went to every door in my complex looking for it and no box was there. Now I am without dinner for the week and I have to wait 10 business days for my $99 back. The carelessness of some delivery persons needs to be taken more serious by the HC team. They don’t even offer discounts for students. This whole situation was a mess and the task that was supposed to be so simple ended up being so difficult for whoever was delivering my box. I am canceling my subscription because I refuse to waste that kind of money. This isn’t the first time they messed up on delivery. I’m switching over to a meal delivery service plan that will actually deliver my box to my door.

Original review: July 15, 2022

Do not order from this company, it is a big scam! I ordered a few weeks of meals for a relative using Groupon. Then when I tried to use up the rest, they said I had to enter a credit card, I made the mistake of doing that because I wanted to use up the remainder of the credit. Then they started charging me for orders not made and also said I had made "changes" to my final order, when you talk to customer service they lie. The food is not that good - go with another company that are not out to scam you!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2021

I signed up because I liked the menu they displayed on their site. My very first order was a mess. The scallions and arugula were both wilted and brown. They credited my account, but recipes were really missing these ingredients so I had to improvise. The second order was a mess as well. Again, the scallions were completely wilted and inedible. They sent me some shaved steak instead of chicken breasts, I was really bummed because it looks like such a great recipe.

Fast forward a week (I didn’t order anything Thanksgiving week). They sent me a box of 5 meals. They automatically do this and pick meals for you. I hated all 5 meal kits. They sent me shrimp which I told them I did not want any fish suggestions when I signed up. There were some weird hamburger tacos…no thanks. So they charged my card almost $100 for this wilted fishy garbage. I don’t like companies that hijack your personal and credit card info. You have to jump through a million hoops to get the account cancelled. And don’t think about asking for refund for something that you specifically said you don’t want! I believe the correct legal term here is UNJUST ENRICHMENT. I am going to go through the hoops and then I will cancel my card because it seems they randomly charge people all the time.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

I started this service 1 year ago after my husband passing, The food was wonderful, the recipes were wonderful, as the year turned over it has gone downhill, the food is not so fresh anymore, I skipped weeks after a long email, Yet today they sent 3 meals I never approved and all 3 meals were what I wrote the email about, I called and said I want it returned, I never ordered it and absolutely HATE every 1 of them, This was after the last 2 orders were poor quality, The KID on the phone must have reading a script and told me to donate it to a church! 60 dollars didn't grow on a tree. Her answer is to donate it! So I've canceled the service! I guess the way this country is falling and being incompetent is ok. They must feel there is no different.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

My account has been paused for a long time now. I keep trying to cancel it because they continue sending me messages that my order is on its way. Usually it is not. Today an order actually arrived. A meal I NEVER ordered and the reason why I suspended my account in the first place. I am requested my account cancelled multiple times. They then send me the cancellation form. I've done it already and I'm not doing it again. There is no way for me to prove that I didn't order the meals they send or sometimes allegedly send, so I get charged. I am writing here and elsewhere in an attempt to get their attention and once and for all cancel my subscription.

Home Chef author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Based in Chicago, Home Chef sends fresh ingredients and recipes to customers each week for them to cook their own meals. The company's algorithm suggests meals for you based on your "taste profile," which details what you do and don’t like to eat.

• Easy subscription: Home Chef is a subscription service, meaning that each week new meals are automatically shipped to the customer unless they opt out.

• Various size options: Customers can select box sizes for two, four or six people for perfect portions.

• Gift meals: Meals can be sent as gifts to friends and family.

• Gourmet menu: Their menu options are unique and provide gourmet meals that are easy to cook.

• Special diet options: They offer low-calorie, gluten-free, soy-free and other restricted-diet options.

Home Chef Company Information