2.76/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

104 Home Chef Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I first started my meal delivery journey with HelloFresh which I loved but my husband thought was too pricey. Then I tried Blue Apron and it was okay, but their OnTrac delivery service was horrid! I received my delivery a whole day and half late! So I switched to Home Chef to see what they had to offer. Same OnTrac delivery service and my kit was delivered to the wrong address!!! See after three separate meal kit services, I say cook your own food because this is crazy!!!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I ordered shrimp and grits, steak salad and pork loin with sauce. Shrimp and grits were tasteless and the amount of spinach was woefully inadequate. The steak salad meat was well, kind of creepy, overcooked before even being rewarmed and fatty. The tomatoes were hard as rocks and not remotely ripened. Inadequate amount of blue cheese which was poor quality. Half of the broccoli with the pork dish had copious yellow budding and needed to be tossed. I would have been far better served by hoofing up to Whole Foods for their warm food bar. There was so much plastic housing the food and in non-recyclable plastic (curbside), that I just plain felt guilty for ordering altogether.

Get expert buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I have to preface this by saying I generally really enjoy Home Chef. My boyfriend signed up for it because he received a free trial or a large discount on our first order... We like it because we both work really long hours and really the last thing we want to do is figure out dinner or go to the grocery store. We don’t keep a lot of food in the house because we are gone so much. We have been consistent weekly delivery customers for about 4-5 months now and we have received and made around 50 different recipes. Some of them we liked so much. We actually went and re-bought the ingredients and made them on a weekend or a day where we didn’t have meals left from the delivery. We receive our deliveries every Wednesday and we usually just get 3 recipes, 2 servings each. We like that we can pick weekly how many we want based on our budget.

Sometimes if one of gets a bigger check we will do dinners for 5 days, but most weeks we will just do the 3. You have to be proactive and view the menus for each week and pick what you want though, otherwise they will pick for you and that has accidentally happened a few times due to us just forgetting. On the weeks that they have picked for us, the meals are still very good, but they just aren’t the type of meals that we would pick. They are very “basic” I guess for lack of a better term. Usually always very tasty though. I wish they could somehow base the picks off our history... maybe like if we typically do the premium meals, just send us premium meals instead of chicken or pork and veggies. This week’s delivery is what prompted this review because the past month or so, each week something has gone wrong with our order.

For instance, we forgot to pick our meals for this week and instead of sending us 3 dinner meals they sent us 2 very basic (and honestly they don’t really look that appealing) dinners and a smoothie. What am I supposed to do with a smoothie? From my understanding smoothies are something you have to request extra... so now we only have 2 dinners and a smoothie which is like a snack I guess. To make matters worse, I probably won’t even get the full smoothie because when I pulled the ingredient bag out of the box, it was completely ripped open at the side - almost like someone took scissors to it so the container with the mango purée went flying and hit the floor and spilled out about half.

So not only was the bag ripped, but the container that had the main ingredient wasn’t closed tight and well... I have enough for one smoothie maybe. Not the two portions I should have. The first thing that ever went “wrong” was they sent us an extra meal... we weren’t charged for it so I guess that’s not really bad but it didn’t come with a recipe card. Good news is I was able to go to the Home Chef website and find the recipe there. The very next week we received our order with two of the same recipe, and then the other one we ordered. We received the recipe card for a taco salad (which is what we ordered) but instead we received a duplicate of one of the pasta dishes. So we got 3 meals, but just two of the same. Again, not the worst thing that could happen because we liked the pasta but we chose the taco salad for a reason obviously.

The NEXT week, we received the 3 meals we asked for with the corresponding recipe cards but when my boyfriend went to go make the lunch wrap, he noticed that not all ingredients were included. It was supposed to be a chicken artichoke wrap but... there were no artichokes. It was also missing the sauce so it was a dry chicken and lettuce wrap. So now a few weeks in a row something has been off with our order and I feel like whoever is packing the boxes or fulfilling the orders is just getting lazy... I’m sure it’s multiple people but for the price that we pay each week it’s getting a little annoying.

We order the meals because it saves us time. We don’t have time to go get missing ingredients and we look forward to the meals that we pick every week so when we don’t get what we were hoping for it’s really disappointing. I gave it 3 stars just because each meal we have made has been absolutely delicious and the instructions are very easy to follow. Even the “basic” stuff doesn’t taste so basic when all is said and done. Just wish the packing department and order fulfillment department could get it together.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Our first order was never received. Called multiple times with no answers for over 30 minutes at a time, sent emails with no response, reached out to social media with no response. Awful. Will stick with other food delivery services that actually respond. Never use!!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

We had pork and chicken juice leaked all over our meals during this delivery. Contacted customer service and still no response. From their Facebook page I guess it is a consistent issue and they hardly ever respond. We want a refund!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Chef?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I enjoyed the meals and the variety. However, although I am single I cook large meals and freeze in portions as my life is busy and I do not have time to cook daily. The meals tended to take quite a bit of time to prepare and then I only had two meals for all that work. That was not a good return on my labor. So, after a few weeks I dropped the service and never picked it back up. A friend sent me a free week of another meal delivery service, but I never activated it.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

It is impossible to get a hold of them by phone when there is an issue with the order (something missing). However, when you email them about the issue they always make it right! Excellent customer service in that regard. The meals are really good, some better than others.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Home Chef has excellent quality and dependable service with orders. Have used Home Chef for over a year and never had a negative experience. Love the option to cancel any particular order and resume when I am in town.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I decided to try Home Chef out, and have been pleased with the meals - until last week. I awaited my delivery, and it didn't arrive - so I checked tracking and email and found FedEx delayed it a day. Now, this box had already been traveling several days in heat that exceeded 90 degrees. Home Chef sent an email saying it should be fine, as they planned for extended travel. I watched for the box to arrive the next day, and as soon as it did, I opened it - only to find the non-meat items were hot, the vegetables were rotting in the bags and had a bad smell, and the meats were warm. Granted - not Home Chef's fault. My complaint is - I immediately tried reaching out to Customer Service via phone - sat on hold 20 mins listening to the Muzak, and then the call suddenly dropped. I dialed back and the phone kept clicking over to nothing then the call ended.

So, I sent an email - and received an automated reply that said I would hear from them soon. It's now been 4 days - and another email - no reply. I tried calling again - and back on hold. I cannot reach Customer Service and they have not responded to my emails. As long as there are no issues, the service is fine. But beware.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I love the Home Chef... The meals are easy and tasty. Anytime I have had an issue it was quickly taken care of. I have been ordering for months and still love them. Wish it was a bit more cost-effective as $40 per meal gets really pricey... But their portions are good. Wish they had options for families of three and a bit more customizable. Overall has been a very positive experience. My teenage son loves cooking the meals and it has build his confidence and taught him a lot in the kitchen. He enjoys it a lot more than home economics class in school. He loves that he knows he can cook and he can cook good for family or to impress a girl!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I received notice Home Chef charged my Credit Card $82 on Sunday 9/9/2018. I canceled my account 9 months ago - or at least I tried. They do not allow you to permanently remove your Credit Card or cancel the service. They only allow a 'pause' feature. CONSUMER BEWARE: I never authorized the charges to my Credit Card and they charged without my permission. I tried to call them at 872-225-2433 and the number is not working. It appears they only answer calls for four hours a day. Who needs this kind of grief!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Home Chef is great food with incredible recipes but the online app does not give step by step details to edit your weekly or monthly plan efficiently. Once that is tweaked then I'll be there ordering again.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I have used Home Chef, Blue Apron, Plated, Freshly and HelloFresh, and rate them in that order. Home Chef delivers good quality fresh food, generous serving size and one time delivery. The one time there was an error on my order, it was immediately resolved to my satisfaction. They are the best Food Delivery Service that I have tried to date.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I found the website a little complicated to figure out as there was more than 1 page of meals to choose from and it was hard to put the order in. Once I got that done, I was excited to see what came. The food is very nice and packaged well, directions very colorful on a full sheet. The 2 person meal is enough for 3 people. I found a Groupon that gave me a great deal, but make sure you suspend your next order right after ordering your first or you will get a shipment of their choice as it's done a week before, if you are just wanting to try it. You are automatically set up for weekly shipments. My daughter also tried it and thought the food was good.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Wow! This company is horrible! Got my first order: all contents ripped open and spilled all over the box. The ice packs were put on top of the bread and smashed the bread. The meat was package together and one package of meat was open and leaked all over the other packages of meat! That is not safe. I think the worst was the fresh fruit basket. The fruit was rotting, spoiled, and leaking fermented juices out everywhere. I waited on hold forever to talk to somebody, and basically got somebody that blamed it all on the shipper. He was not very apologetic at all. I will be going back to HelloFresh!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

New recipes are fun and exciting. Everything comes with the directions. The proteins are delicious. The steaks and lamb are of superior quality. My husband loves the challenge of preparing new dishes.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

We've had 2 deliveries, several weeks apart. The first was fine with the exception of bad "living lettuce". Fortunately we already had one to use for our lettuce cups. We enjoyed the recipes. Con: far too much sodium resulting in our having to modify every recipe. The second box arrived yesterday. So far we've prepared only one meal. Again, far too much sodium. Brussels sprouts weren't fresh and we had to remove the ends then thinly slice. I'd prefer they come already sliced. Other recipes in our box require slicing a lot of mushrooms and cubing chicken breasts. Again, I'd prefer that was already done for me. Summary: too much prep on my part; sodium content far too high; very expensive for what you get. For me I feel all they're doing is grocery shopping. I have time to do that.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Home Chef is mostly recipes requiring additional prep and many steps. However it included just the correct amount of items I don’t usually have on hand and would have a lot left over if I pitched such items to use just one time. Directions are good and result is a nice meal, but expensive and more work for me than I was expecting.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I received two shipments from this company. First box had moldy produce and customer service took 4 days to get back to me with an "I'm sorry". The second box I cooked one meal out of and my husband was so sick from the shrimp he missed a day of work after spending the night in the bathroom. Needless to say I threw out the remaining meals as the shrink wrap was popped on the fish and the beef was already brown in the package. I thought I would save the bags and use the vegetable but the corn was moldy again. What a waste of money.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

The meals are very expensive. Cookbook is ok, but not worthy the dollar amount per servings. Too much wrapping and I understand the need to keep fresh the produce and meats. Three shipments came with the ice bags defrosted and barely it was cold inside the box.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Everything was perfect except every one of these food delivery services are great at what they do, but after paying for your meal & the delivery service you feel like you should have went out to a 5 star restaurants after you consider what you just paid to have the every day average restaurant food delivered, but other than that it’s worth the service!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

The meals are delicious. I love Home Chef, but it would be far better personally if it were possible to order the meals for one person instead of a minimum of two. I live alone, so I either get tired of eating the same meals twice or I end up wasting a lot of good food. I’m just learning to cook, so the meals and directions have been valuable.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

The food was good. The orders were always delivered as scheduled. I thought about ordering from several different services. Home Chef had a lot of different meals and even gave me a huge discount on the first order.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

Meals are very good. Some are quick & easy, some easy & some more time consuming. They have salads that I can throw together for work. Very often the tomatoes are not ripe. They usually repeat certain veggies too often such as green beans & carrots. I love the healthy options! Pretty fair value for what you get. They need a place where problems with shipments can be communicated. Ex: "I did not receive one of my salads." When asked to rate my meal, I stated this in their "comments" section but received no response nor the meal.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

I tried HelloFresh and Sunbasket, they were both great but I had delivery issues, not really their fault but still, when food is delivered 2 days later it is already spoiled. I switched to Home Chef. The recipes are easy to follow, the food choices are varied and lots of variety. The quality of the meats and vegetables are superb.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Home Chef was a good option especially if you are diabetic or vegetarian or just need low carbs or low calories and there's a gluten-free option also which makes it really easy if you are feeding someone that is diabetic. It has flexible delivery and they say there's no commitment and you can skip orders. You can cancel them any time. They got 13 weekly recipes which is really good. Also the food is fresh and a thoughtful source of ingredients are put into each meal so overall I really think Home Chef Delivery is a great way to go time wise and money-wise and nutrition-wise.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

We loved Home Chef. The ONLY problem was with meal choices. But that's only because my husband is a very picky eater. That's all. Food was fresh and portions were big! It always filled us up! (Psst. I even reused the ice packs for other stuff!)

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

We ordered a trial for 3 days. Two of the three days worth of bags had bad produce that could not be used. Luckily I had my own previously grocery store purchased on hand, otherwise we would have been out of luck. Delivery was on time, meats have been good and recipes delicious, except for the bad produce issue, food tastes great.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Home Chef was very reliable, both with delivery and quality of products. Customization is limited to selecting different entrees instead of the standard picks. Recipes are clear and easy to follow. However, I feel the pricing is a bit high.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Home Chef have a lot of delicious food. I can usually find 1 or 2 recipes I love but hardly ever all 3. The 3rd one I send with my daughter to use at her house. They need more weekly choices.

Home Chef expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Based in Chicago, Home Chef sends fresh ingredients and recipes to customers each week for them to cook their own meals. The company's algorithm suggests meals for you based on your "taste profile," which details what you do and don’t like to eat.

• Easy subscription: Home Chef is a subscription service, meaning that each week new meals are automatically shipped to the customer unless they opt out.

• Various size options: Customers can select box sizes for two, four or six people for perfect portions.

• Gift meals: Meals can be sent as gifts to friends and family.

• Gourmet menu: Their menu options are unique and provide gourmet meals that are easy to cook.

• Special diet options: They offer low-calorie, gluten-free, soy-free and other restricted-diet options.

• Best for: Busy individuals and families, people looking to expand their cooking knowledge and people with dietary restrictions.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs