3.6/5 (828 ratings)

About Home Chef

Home Chef Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Chef?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Chef?

Original review: Dec. 1, 2021

I signed up because I liked the menu they displayed on their site. My very first order was a mess. The scallions and arugula were both wilted and brown. They credited my account, but recipes were really missing these ingredients so I had to improvise. The second order was a mess as well. Again, the scallions were completely wilted and inedible. They sent me some shaved steak instead of chicken breasts, I was really bummed because it looks like such a great recipe.

Fast forward a week (I didn’t order anything Thanksgiving week). They sent me a box of 5 meals. They automatically do this and pick meals for you. I hated all 5 meal kits. They sent me shrimp which I told them I did not want any fish suggestions when I signed up. There were some weird hamburger tacos…no thanks. So they charged my card almost $100 for this wilted fishy garbage. I don’t like companies that hijack your personal and credit card info. You have to jump through a million hoops to get the account cancelled. And don’t think about asking for refund for something that you specifically said you don’t want! I believe the correct legal term here is UNJUST ENRICHMENT. I am going to go through the hoops and then I will cancel my card because it seems they randomly charge people all the time.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

I started this service 1 year ago after my husband passing, The food was wonderful, the recipes were wonderful, as the year turned over it has gone downhill, the food is not so fresh anymore, I skipped weeks after a long email, Yet today they sent 3 meals I never approved and all 3 meals were what I wrote the email about, I called and said I want it returned, I never ordered it and absolutely HATE every 1 of them, This was after the last 2 orders were poor quality, The KID on the phone must have reading a script and told me to donate it to a church! 60 dollars didn't grow on a tree. Her answer is to donate it! So I've canceled the service! I guess the way this country is falling and being incompetent is ok. They must feel there is no different.

Get buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

My account has been paused for a long time now. I keep trying to cancel it because they continue sending me messages that my order is on its way. Usually it is not. Today an order actually arrived. A meal I NEVER ordered and the reason why I suspended my account in the first place. I am requested my account cancelled multiple times. They then send me the cancellation form. I've done it already and I'm not doing it again. There is no way for me to prove that I didn't order the meals they send or sometimes allegedly send, so I get charged. I am writing here and elsewhere in an attempt to get their attention and once and for all cancel my subscription.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

Do NOT order from this company. They charged my card without authorization and the deliver is always late and consequently warm or spoiled. I contacted customer service and was brushed off for days. I chatted with multiple people and they disconnected the chat. I called the customer service line. Waited on hold for over 10 mins and was hung up on. The the supervisor sent me a threatening email. They completely deleted my account so I have no access to contact them.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

Our friends, one who is a nurse & works 16 hr shifts, were so impressed with Home Chef that they referred us. My husband and I needed a quick and easy way to make delicious and nutritious meals at a reasonable price. When I started treatment for Leukemia/Lymphoma, I didn't have the energy to cook..let alone shop. Ordering out not only stretched our wallets but also our waistbands AND I wasn't getting the nutrients my body needed. Home Chef solved a lot of our problems. The food is nutritious and delicious and costs less than ordering out or eating out. There is an impressive variety of meals from quick & easy to Culinary Cuisine. The meals start at $8.99 per person (1 serving per USDA guidelines). My husband and I are both satisfied with the portion sizes. (No stretch waistbands needed). The ingredients are premeasured and individually packaged for each MEAL.(for 2 people = 2 portions).

The vegetables and herbs are crisp and fresh and the steaks, etc are surprisingly good quality...especially for the price. The recipe cards give step-by-step instructions. We now enjoy cooking together. When need be, my husband, who is just learning to cook, can make the meals by himself. (**they offer meals from Easy to Culinary skill levels). We're learning new techniques and trying new ingredients and are enjoying every minute of it. We really are impressed with the sophisticated taste of these Chef-inspired meals. Nutritionist and Oncologist are both pleased that we are eating healthier and it reflects in our health.

Our friends have not had any shipping issues. We just ordered our 4th week of meals and found Customer Service to be very responsive and quite helpful. We needed help when placing our 1st order since we didn't know how to edit the 'recommended' meals. We learned that's what the edit button is for. Lol. We are just happy to be spending quality time together because Life's too short. Thank you Home Chef for making our life a little easier. P.S. If Fed-ex isn't fulfilling your needs, there's other delivery options out there.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

I really wish I could give this company 5 stars, but out of the 5 weeks I received food, I had problems with the boxes all but once. The meat was bad in 3 boxes, had a recipe card missing twice, had missing ingredients and random extra ingredients in each bag. When they were good, I was so pleased. The recipes were easy to follow and barely took any time. I just wish the quality was better.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2021

I started this service because I thought it would be fun and I could maybe get some ideas for food that I wouldn’t normally have tried. I got the box and was impressed by the packaging. I later realized that’s probably what I was actually paying for. I got some chicken with brussels sprouts. The seasoning was a Korean pepper paste and an Italian dressing. Yeah, those two things don’t go together. I had to make some rice and a salad because it definitely wasn’t enough food for 4 servings. The next meal was salmon and green beans. Enough said! Here’s the thing. If you don’t know how to cook and you think salt and pepper are the only real spices you need then, this may be perfect for you. If you are able to go to the store, buy food, chop it up and season properly then you’re 100x better than any Home Chef meal you could ever get. I immediately cancelled my service. What a waste of money! But at least I tried it and will never do anything like this again.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

For two weeks in a row, this company took it upon itself to order meals for me and charged my account $60 without my knowledge. This never happened prior to these past two weeks. I called and complained and removed my account. How are they allowed to do this?

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

Here is my objective review. The food is good, high quality and it's a fun experience. It can be a bit pricey considering each serving being $8.99, but if you're a busy person or looking to expand your palette, this is a good way to do it. For this I would be giving them 4 stars. The reason why I'm giving a 1 star is because there is some trickiness going on. I paused my account due to travel. According from their FAQ, pausing the account is the same as cancelling. To receive future orders, you have to Reactivate.

I decided to Pause the account and promptly received the email with the subject line: "We'll see you soon. Your account has been paused". I didn't even think to open the email because in the coming weeks, I started to get charged $100 per a box. I went back to that same email and realized the SUBJECT and BODY of the email said 2 completely different things. The body said: "We'll see you soon. Your account has been set to reactivate". How tricky!

I called Customer service and kept telling them I'd be willing to share my screen or send them an email to show them this glitch/miscommunication. They didn't want to see it and they had no explanation for it. I wanted a full refund but they were only able to give me 50% refund on food I would never be able to enjoy. As of now, I might have 2 boxes of rotting food at my door and still paying 50% for them = $100. THEY DO NOT GIVE FULL REFUNDS. Beware! If you want to pause, call Customer service to ask them for a DATA DELETION form where your account is completely deleted. Signing up again might take time, but it could potentially save you money and help reduce food waste.

Original review: July 23, 2021

My box was delivered broken not once but twice. I was trying to give Home Chef a chance to fix problem the 1st time but 2nd time all food spoiled on front door and my house front step smelled horrible.

Home Chef author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Based in Chicago, Home Chef sends fresh ingredients and recipes to customers each week for them to cook their own meals. The company's algorithm suggests meals for you based on your "taste profile," which details what you do and don’t like to eat.

• Easy subscription: Home Chef is a subscription service, meaning that each week new meals are automatically shipped to the customer unless they opt out.

• Various size options: Customers can select box sizes for two, four or six people for perfect portions.

• Gift meals: Meals can be sent as gifts to friends and family.

• Gourmet menu: Their menu options are unique and provide gourmet meals that are easy to cook.

• Special diet options: They offer low-calorie, gluten-free, soy-free and other restricted-diet options.

Home Chef Company Information