2.38/5
Based on 55 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

55 Home Chef Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 16, 2018

TERRIBLE company. DO NOT SIGN UP!!! I was not satisfied with the subscription and emailed 5 times to cancel. They didnt and charged me twice $49.99. I called finally to speak to representative about why they keep charging me after numerous cancellations, they offered me a 50% off and still continued. The company is NOT HONEST. I as a consumer have never dealt with such a dishonest company that tells untruths!!!

Original review: July 13, 2018

I was mostly impressed with my first order - delicious recipes; however, the box was pretty banged up by the time it got to me and many of the gel packs had burst on the contents. But the food was still cold and the recipes were delicious. On the 2nd order that the box was pretty badly damaged in transit and (again) many of the ice gel packs had burst and leaked over the contents. One of the shrimp bags had been perforated and had to be thrown out. Still, I made it work.

This week, my delivery is already 2 days late and has been on a FedEx truck on over 100 degree weather for 2 full days. I just got notified by FedEx that they did attempt to deliver again today... so that means the food is going to sit a 3rd day. Beside the fact that I had planned for the meals yesterday, today, and tomorrow; I am not comfortable eating meat that has been on a hot truck for at least 3 days (I live in Texas). Customer service is closed and FedEx customer service just said that they are very busy and can’t guarantee ground deliveries on any specific day. That’s it for me. I need a more dependable service that can guarantee food is truly safe for consumption - especially shrimp and seafood.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 11, 2018

My husband and I tried Home Chef for two meals. They were delicious but I only ordered once to try out the food. The next week they sent us another two dinners. It is impossible to get them on the phone to cancel the order and the food was delivered. I cancelled our account. The email from Home Chef was, "Sorry for the confusion and we will refund the money." Shouldn't they be upset about losing a customer? It didn't seem so. They will probably go out of business due to the lack of concern.

Original review: July 4, 2018

I have been getting Home Chef for over a year & was very happy with it. I gave them a 2 thumbs ups on Facebook many times, have told many people how great it was. Well I used to get my orders pack in ice (min of 4 to 6 packs). Well now I am getting 1 on bottom & 1 on top in 90 + degree & has been on the road for 2 days, and sits on my porch for hrs, seriously HC, yes they refunded my money the first time. I counted on those meals. Well yesterday again two ice packs, 1 on top & 1 on bottom, for chicken & shrimp, I don't think so.

Original review: July 1, 2018

I wanted to state that some of the items (Dinner Meals) aren't fresh. The green beans were so tough I threw them out and the tomatoes were not ripe -- so this means you have to substitute the food or forget the items. I found the meat and fish less than satisfying and wouldn't order again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Chef?

Original review: June 27, 2018

I signed up with Home Chef and was very excited. I have heard great things about the company. I received my first box and for one of the meals which was a bbq chicken pizza meal, the flatbread was missing so I was unable to create the meal. I was reimbursed for it but upset because the main ingredient was missing. I received my second box and was given two of the same ingredient cards. Luckily the recipe is on their website but it would be nice if they paid closer attention into what is being placed in the box.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I ordered my first meal pack. It was shipped on Saturday and arrived on Wednesday. It contained salmon... and other meats. FDA says that fish is only good 1-2 days in refrigerator and all others no more than 4 days. The vegetables looked like bargain shelf. Wilted, black spots. The top portion was not cold. I reached out to support and they did credit the package and told me to dispose of it. Full credit was given. Week 2. Food sent out Saturday, to arrive today on Wednesday. 4-5 days again. In my opinion, it is not edible. Not acceptable. I am fortunate that I am a nurse and know these things. Not every one does. I hope somebody doesn't get really sick. I am done.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I was at work when my husband spoke with someone regarding the disaster of our order this week. Not only were multiple items missing, the food that did come was lukewarm as the ice packs were melted. None of the recipes were sent. My husband spent a total of 60 min attempting to contact someone in the company and once we finally got through he was placed on hold for another 20 min. We absolutely are not satisfied with the resolution he was offered. Not only had we spent over $200 on the meals for this week; we now have no options for Father’s Day as the restaurants are all booked for reservations. I want a full refund of this order plus want to cancel next week. We most likely will utilize a different company. I’m shocked that at $10/meal your company wouldn’t be more worried about customer satisfaction.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I sent a gift of two meals, salmon and Korean steak. The meals were shipped on Monday and did not arrive until Thursday afternoon. I had to contact the recipient and advise them NOT to eat the food; four days on the road for fish - I don’t think so! It took a long time on hold before being able to speak with a representative at which time I canceled any future orders and received a refund. NOT RELIABLE SERVICE.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I’ve received a few shipments from Home Chef, and have been satisfied every time. Their customer service is pretty poor, however. Now, I’ll admit, the fact that I forgot to change my mailing address after not having ordered Home Chef for 6 weeks or so was MY mistake, but it would have been nice if the company would have responded to my email. I emailed after hours on Sunday evening as soon as I realized the meal that I didn’t want in the first place, but that I couldn’t cancel when I first canceled meals for 6 weeks, would be going to the wrong address. I had called FedEx first and they said that changing the shipping address could only be done by the sender.

No response all day Monday. No response on Tuesday, and I saw that the meal kit had, in fact, been delivered to my old address. The girl on the phone did absolutely nothing for me. I decided to cancel my account altogether. Typically, companies with GOOD customer service will attempt to remedy the problem/do something to keep their customers. Nope, this chick could not have cared less. And Home Chef never did respond to that email. From the number of complaints here on this site, it appears I’m not the only one that had customer service issues.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I wanted to cancel this service because we felt it was too expensive for our fixed income even though the food was wonderful. Their policy does not let you cancel but you can suspend your shipments until you want to resume. One week after I suspended the program they charged me over $100 and emailed me they were shipping. I did not resume nor did I receive an email to choose a menu or unsuspend the program. Will not recommend to anyone.

Original review: June 2, 2018

Not only has my meal kit not arrived but I CANNOT get hold of anybody to find out why or lodge a complaint. The customer service ph number is a sham and despite numerous emails I am yet to receive a response other than "Thank you for your email. A customer service agent will respond shortly". Liar Liar pants on fire! Don't trust them!

Original review: May 31, 2018

The company is a scam! Apparently I would be getting one thing, and then they changed my order and price at the last min. without letting me know. When the food arrived, it looked old, some produce was started spoiling. I checked the length of delivery, it was 4 days in transit. I sent them an email complaint with my photos attached showing the spoiled produce, I received an email asking me to provide the photos and details about the complaint. Really, seriously? Totally ignorant! I provided them 7 new friends' emails and contacts to receive a promised credit, two of my friends ordered meal from them very next day. I never received any credit for. My account was charged almost $50 immediately before even providing me with the new menu. They don't give you any option to choose from! They are pretty much dictating what you have to eat, if you like it or not. Do not use this horrible company.

Original review: May 24, 2018

We have subscribed for several months and have been generally satisfied with the quality, quantity and variety of the food. Starting about a month ago, the delivery has gotten atrocious! We expect delivery on Wednesday but now it isn't happening. We have received delivery late at night, the next day, etc. Totally unpredictable! Can't plan our meals this way. We are going to drop the service.

Original review: May 18, 2018

To add on to the comment regarding the switch to OnTrac, I live in a fairly new housing development and received deliveries several days late with rancid, warm food on three different orders because the driver “couldn’t find my address”. Even provided very specific additional shipping instructions and still had the same problem. As for Home Chef, they are impossible to get a hold of, never respond to email, and just told me, without an apology, that since my development doesn’t show up on google maps, they are unable to deliver to my location at this time.

This company spends all its resources on marketing and then is unable to keep up with the customer service demand. If you live in a new housing development, forget it. If you are going to have any issues where you need to contact customer service, forget it. I’m so disappointed in the way I have been treated by them. At the very least, they could have offered to contact their shipping vendor to try and resolve the issue, I felt like they were just trying to get rid of me so they could move on to deal with the next complaint.

Original review: May 10, 2018

I’ve had a positive experience with Home Chef. Food arrives very well packed. Vegetables have been very fresh and great quality. Portions are generous. No complaints about the food or service. I just wish I could order less and not incur a delivery charge. I end up canceling certain weeks instead of ordering less meals. But overall, a very positive experience.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I literally spent a couple hours trying to figure out how to delete this last week... and of course they still charged me. So I called and the lady was like... "So sorry you're out of luck!!!" I didn't order any food. So apparently they are just sending random food to my house... going to bank to dispute and BBB to complain and everywhere else I can.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I have read several comments about other's dissatisfaction with Home Chef. However, my experience with Home Chef has been nothing short of AMAZING! It does everything it was designed to do. Yes, it IS a subscription, but if you decide that for a particular week or weeks that you prefer not to have meals delivered, all you have to do is GO ON THEIR WEBSITE (and yes they actually have one) and SKIP that week or that month, etc.

You need to understand that in order to skip and NOT be charged, you need to skip by Thursday of the week for the next week. For example, you want to skip the week of May 7th. You should then choose to skip that week by Thursday, May 3rd. If you do this you WILL NOT be charged. Home Chef also offers a variety of meals that you ARE able to change if you choose to. Again, this option is available to every Home Chef customer via their website. You are not ever forced to just accept what they send you. They give you plenty of other options to choose from.

In the few months that I have been a Home Chef customer, I have seen nothing but benefits their program. Using Home Chef, I have saved more money than I did going to the grocery store or if my husband and I ate out. The food is delicious and healthy - everything you need to quickly prepare a tasty, healthy meal is provided.

Lastly, I also noticed that in the time that I have used Home Chef, I lost weight, which was a desired goal. The ONLY reason I stopped using Home Chef is because our stove needed repair. The oven no longer worked. However, my husband and I recently purchased another one and I already have another delivery scheduled for next week. I have Nothing but GREAT things to say about Home Chef and I would DEFINITELY recommend it to friends and family.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I have received 6 boxes of Home Chef's meal delivery service already, and I'm really pleased. Very impressed. All the meals have been really good too. With Home Chef I've tried so many different kinds of veggies and things that I would have never thought to and it's really exciting. I read a lot of the other reviews on here, and maybe that's their experience, but that is nothing like my experience with Home Chef, at all. The app is really easy to use and as long as you SAVE the changes that you make, then that is what you will get. Yes, this is a subscription, and honestly, you should know that if you're giving your payment information for something, right? So yes, it's coming weekly, regardless if you make meal choices or not. If you don't change the meals then they assume that is what you want. You have the option to skip weeks and cancelling is easy. There is a contact telephone number on the website. So, I fail to see what others are even referring to.

Home Chef has, by far, the most options out of any of the other meal delivery services... You can choose to have meat, seafood, vegetarian or a mix of all. You can choose low calorie (which I love!). You can choose other dietary options; gluten free, low carb, dairy free. You can choose your experience level; easy, intermediate or expert. Also choose your spiciness level. They give you at least 12 meals each week to pick from. You can add more meals each week, or take away and get less meals on certain weeks. You can skip weeks when you need to - EASILY. You have the option of adding smoothies, quick no cook lunch meals or fresh fruit! I mean COME ON. All those choices and options blow the competition away!

I gave other services a try and they fell flat, and I mean epic failures! i.e.; HelloFresh... OMFG they didn't get one single thing right! At least they did refund MOST of my money (OK, there's 1/2 a thing right!). With HelloFresh my box was short on the meat that was supposed to come with my meal options; I only received 2 meats for 4 meals, and 1 of those meats was for a meal I never chose which came with a bag of ingredients for another meal! So I was left with 4 bags of ingredients and 2 meats; 1 of which didn't even go with the ingredients I had! AND some of the ingredients were STILL missing from each of the bags. Plus Home Chef gives you everything you need (with the exception of oil, salt and pepper), they even provided butter and sugar. Whereas HelloFresh didn't provide any butter or sugar. Ugh, I could just go on and freaking on about the HelloFresh FAIL! So, would I recommend Home Chef? A resounding YES!

Original review: April 18, 2018

Website does not have any contact info, no phone, no customer service. This is basically a scam. No way to contact anyone and cancel. I find the website meal selection area so confusing that it's not usable. Also, they charge your credit card immediately before you even select anything and work through the selection issues. There was no order number. It's like they want to hide and not provide any customer service. Another issue - no actual receipt for the credit card charge.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Their "customer service" is rude as hell. First, I would like to mention that at this point I had brought them TWO loyal customers who had been ordering with them for over a month and a half. I travel for work so my address changes every three months or so. I lived in Denver and was dating someone that lived three hours away. I had my order sent there so we could eat it over our weekend together. He then ordered one to the same address and they accused us of trying to make duplicate accounts. I told them what was really going on and would have showed proof (my rental/work contract) but they told me it was no big deal. My contract ended there and before my left, I emailed to let them know I would be changing my address for 2 weeks (as I was going to be home in between contracts).

I ordered a Home Chef there and then towards the end of my stay, my parents were intrigued by the concept. I signed them up under THEIR address (I was only staying there for two weeks...) and I got this REALLY nasty email about how they have previously warned me THREE??? times about creating double accounts. Uhmm...excuse me? The account was under my father, paid for by his card, at HIS address. I called to clear things up and the lady was a complete ** to me. She was cutting me off and raising her voice at me. I told her I completely understand the confusion but there is no need to be rude. Also, that I could provide proof of my address changing frequently. If that is how they treat a loyal customer who has brought them business, no thanks. Needless to say, I will never be ordering with them again. OH, and after all this they told me there was no way for them to delete/close my account...

Original review: April 17, 2018

Home Chef is a subscription service. That means if you don't order for a week, they will send you food anyway, with meals of their choice. They don't tell you that when you sign up. When I called in, they told me about the subscription thing. They did, I hope cancel my account, which I told them to do.

Original review: April 15, 2018

So I tried using this app twice now and every time and go in and choose my meals they, just send me whatever they want to send me. I contacted customer service and they were absolutely no help at all but after reading the reviews I’m not surprised. They really need to fix their app and customer service. I should not have to buy meals that I did not choose!!! Highly disappointed in Home Chef and I have not received my first box yet!!!

Original review: April 7, 2018

In my last (yes, this will be my LAST) shipment of Home Chef, the packaged ingredients for one of the recipes had blood in it. At first I thought perhaps the meat had dripped into the packaging, but that was not the case. Otherwise, I would not have touched it with my bare hands. Noticed there was also blood on one of the recipe cards. I sent an email to Home Chef customer support explaining what had happened, requested my money back and an explanation. They immediately credited my card, but did not say “we’re sorry and this is what happened.” Absolutely nothing. Not a “we take this seriously and are taking precautions to make sure this never happens again.” NOTHING.

I’ve added images and you can see the pepper is not fresh, certainly not something I would purchase in a grocery store if I were selecting my own veggies. Now I’m freaking out over what I could have possibly been exposed to from coming into contact with the blood. I hope this review is helpful to anyone thinking of going the Home Chef route or are currently a customer.

Original review: April 5, 2018

The company decided to change shipping companies and did not inform consumers. They wanted to cut costs and save money and decided to work with the shadiest shipping company. They decided to switch from FedEx to OnTrac. I have had OnTrac deliver in the past and it was an old man in a minivan, definitely not the way I want to receive my food. They decided to go cheap and my package was never delivered. It took 40 emails and 12 calls just to get a hold of someone. I got a refund and will never return as a customer.

This is absolutely the worst business decision I have ever encountered. You will lose many customers over your stupid decision to change shipping companies. I have already informed all of my friends and family and encouraged them all to close their accounts. I will also leave this review on every site I can find because of how horrible the customer service was. It should not take 40 emails and 12 calls to receive customer service. Absolutely ridiculous!

Original review: April 4, 2018

I tried this service out for the first time a few weeks ago. After placing my order I received a confirmation email with the expected delivery date. The food was okay and packaging was fine. There was a lot of work involved to prepare the meals. After I received my order and made a couple I went through and deleted my future orders. I hadn't received any other emails about future orders until a couple of weeks later. It advised me that I had a few days to cancel my order. I immediately went online and deleted it again. Then two days later I got another order at my door. This wasn't an order I even received an email for. I had no notice of it coming until 6 hours ago.

Confused, I called and spoke to one of their representatives. She said that I had indeed deleted my order but didn't choose the skip order option at the very bottom of the menu in a small test box in a light grey. She then said that since I deleted my order the menu defaulted based on my profile. There was nothing in the box I would want to eat. I explained why I was trying to cancel the orders and that I didn't like the food chosen for me. I asked if it was possible to return my order and she said no. This was 4 days of wasted food and money. I asked to have my account deleted and it was done. $80 now wasted and they could care less. They sent nothing confirming the order but they seem to think I'm at fault. They saw that I deleted the order so it's clear that I'm not trying to run some sort of food scam but they still don't care. This service is bogus. The site is hard to navigate to cancel the service or even call their "customer service ".

Original review: April 1, 2018

I've tried other meal delivery service, and this definitely is the weakest. Food arrived soggily & my ziplock bags came broken. Poor food quality is the least of your worries. The customer service is absolutely terrible. I paused my account and was still charged for an order. Customer service refuses to refund your orders, and they send one-sentence automated replies. They also don't allow you to remove your credit card from their website. I can safely assume my experience was not an isolated incident. All the reviews here have similar problems with lousy customer service. I do not recommend Home Chef. Stay away and use other meal delivery companies.

Original review: April 1, 2018

Zero quality control. Veggies came in mushy & didn't last long. Customer support doesn't care about your experience. Overall 0/5 if I could rate it 0 stars. Don't use this service, go to a different company.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I am on my 5th box with Home Chef - recipes are quick and easy to make - ingredients are always fresh. I have never had an issue with packaging (external or internal). I would tell others reading these reviews to keep in mind the Home Chef has zero control over what FedEx does with or treats your packaging. I have paused/skipped weeks and never been charged, and never received a box when I didn't request it. Even my mom - who is very picky about food and produce, was impressed by the quality of the food we received. My boyfriend and I always find the portions to be perfect - we've never had leftovers, but always feel full at the end of each meal. I suppose if you eat more food than one serving allows, you might be hungry, but this is perfect to keep portion control under control.

Original review: March 17, 2018

My review is a result of poor customer service. The meals were pretty good. However, we had new dietary needs and Home Chef could not meet those needs. Based off that I put it on pause on the website. The "pause" feature informs you at that time it will be permanent unless you change the setting. Despite this I was charged twice for meals. One was delivered and subsequently spoiled because I was not expecting a delivery. I had to call to get the service stopped! Why offer a "pause" button if you will send the food anyway! Furious. Never going back!

Home Chef expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Based in Chicago, Home Chef sends fresh ingredients and recipes to customers each week for them to cook their own meals. The company's algorithm suggests meals for you based on your "taste profile," which details what you do and don’t like to eat.

• Easy subscription: Home Chef is a subscription service, meaning that each week new meals are automatically shipped to the customer unless they opt out.

• Various size options: Customers can select box sizes for two, four or six people for perfect portions.

• Gift meals: Meals can be sent as gifts to friends and family.

• Gourmet menu: Their menu options are unique and provide gourmet meals that are easy to cook.

• Special diet options: They offer low-calorie, gluten-free, soy-free and other restricted-diet options.

• Best for: Busy individuals and families, people looking to expand their cooking knowledge and people with dietary restrictions.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs