3.7/5 (1271 ratings)

About Home Chef

Home Chef Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Chef?

Original review: Feb. 5, 2023

Home Chef is by far the BEST meal service we have used! Food fresh and the packaging is amazing, everything together for the recipe is in one bag. I don't have to search through the whole box when it arrives. All the meat is in a separate bag. Easy. I love how the recipes tell you how many days to use by so I just eat in that order. And the recipes, good lord, they need a medal. The flavors and how you cook everything is too good! Better than other companies we have tried by far. I can't believe the lower reviews I have seen on this. People must not be cooking items right. Me and the hubs have been very pleased. One recipe they did not add an item, but I told them and so far everything has come that is supposed to. I totally recommend! It's easy, less than what we would pay for in our house and perfect for non-cookers! To each their own, I know, but just try them if you haven't and are looking.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2023

I really enjoyed the food I received however I'm going to have to make it at home because the price I paid for what I received is very off. I had the Bolognese Spaghetti and it's very easy to put together and microwave which is why I wanted to try it. The food was delicious and now I know to add cream cheese to my pasta sauce for an even better flavor.

The problem is that one tray is considered a meal for 2 people. I ate one tray by myself. I would be very hungry if I only ate half of it. The portion I received was a bit less than what you'd get for one plate at a restaurant and would pay around $10 to $12 for but they are charging $19.98 for microwave food. It's only noodles and sauce with a little bit of meat and some seasonings on the side. There is no way I would pay $9.99 for a kid's portion of food.

I would like to use Home Chef but I'm not okay with still being hungry after spending $9.99 or more per serving. It doesn't make sense to me financially. If we went to a restaurant and spent $19.98 on 2 meals, we'd be very full. In fact we could probably split one plate because the serving sizes are generally huge at restaurants. And again, there wasn't much meat in the sauce, there's no reason for it cost this much and I paid for shipping. I guess it's a service for rich people who don't like to eat much.

Get buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2022

First of all, once you create an account, you cannot remove your credit card. Beware! Secondly, there are terrible packing and delivery problems. All in all, a complete bust. In theory, this is a great idea -- to have an option of all the ingredients be oven ready. However, it is poorly packed and often ingredients that are supposed to be in the bag are missing. Then there is the delivery. I have been told that delivering until 10:30 at night is considered "on time." But it could even arrive at 10 in the morning. So, you cannot plan. Plus, the one week, the delivery person literally threw the box on the porch from 10 feet away. I was there when she did it and asked her why she threw the box did she not notice that the box landed on its side? She said the box was too heavy for her.

I lifted the box, which must not have weighed more than 10 pounds, with one hand. In other words, she was just a lazy bum. But Home Chef does not care. They use Veho to deliver now, a gig company. It's a disaster. My most recent event (the one that caused a permanent cancel) was that we knew five days in advance of the delivery that the weather would cause us not to be home for the following week's delivery. I contacted them immediately to contact us and other than an automated email return, they did not contact me as promised.

So, I called and they said sorry it was too late--the box could not be delivered elsewhere nor could it be canceled. Because it is the holidays, none of our neighbors would be home to pick up the box. We probably will be canceling our plans just to make sure the box does not sit on the porch for several days. This is a Kroger-owned company, and none of these terms were detailed in our contract with Home Chef (that you cannot remove your credit card at all or that you cannot change anything about your delivery a week prior to your hoped delivery date). If you interested in combining forces with us, please let us know.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2022

I was excited to try the meals from Home Chef. I have used Hello Fresh and Blue Apron in the past but their menus are very repetitive and I wanted a change. I signed up and picked my meals for the following week and the box should have arrived on Wednesday. On Wednesday evening when I got home there was no box. I then had to find something in my freezer to quickly prepare. On Thursday, still no box and the website said it would then arrive on Friday. If they cannot fulfill their shipping on the date they say it will arrive, they should not be in business. People rely on the boxes to show up on time because they have held off on their grocery shopping. Very bad service.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2022

I paid almost 300 for the set of cookware and I have used them a few times. They already have scratches on them even after using only plastic utensils on them. I thought the quality would have been better at this price.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2022

I signed up on the site and was told to put in my card number to see meal options (stuidly, I did this). Unfortunately, I was sent a kit but had no intention of yet purchasing. I wanted to check out the menus and pricing first. However, I was billed immediately and sent a box. I called, canceled, or thought I did. Just received another order... nearly a year later, and my card was again charged. No invoice in the box, no knowledge of the shipment or charge until after I received it. Hopped on website to cancel... followed the "Help" page. But I don't have the option to cancel under my account... only change the plan, frequency, meals per week, not cancel. So disappointed. Choose another service if you are looking.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2022

I have subscribed to Home Chef for almost 2 years. About six months ago they started going downhill. I have received rotten and deteriorating vegetables, containers poorly sealed so that the ingredients spilled out including oils, missing ingredients, missing recipe cards, protein packages not properly sealed so packets of meat and fish were all over the box. Quality of delivery also dropped drastically. Several weeks ago I had a box left in my driveway, which can’t be seen from the house, at 10 pm at night. No text that it had been delivered. If I had not gone out to put out my garbage can I would never have known it was there. I tried to complain to Home Chef by the chat system. I detailed the problem but was still asked by the live (not AI) how they could help me. I started typing back and “Joi” ended the chat and put me back in AI virtual assistant mode.

The meals are overall good and for a person who cooks for one, they keep me from wasting food. However there are numerous other services I can try. Home Chef is my second one. I tried Hello Fresh first but they even started out with the problems Home Chef now has. I will probably be looking for my third service if Home Chef doesn’t get its act together.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2022

My husband is memory impaired from a stroke and my daughter purchased 3 weeks of Home Chef to help me out. The first box arrived and when I opened it I panicked. There were meal kits and about 20 random packages of ingredients scattered in the box. The meal kit bags weren’t closed all the way which allowed ingredient packs to slide out. I searched for the recipe cards to figure out what ingredients went with what meal kit. The website said they’d be in there but I had to disassemble the entire box and finally found the cards in between the box liner and the box.

In all it took me about an hour and a half to look up info on the Home Chef website, find the meal cards and get the ingredients into the proper bags to reconstruct the meal kits. Two easy steps could have avoided this: 1) Close the meal kits all the way and SEAL; 2) include a simple direction sheet on top telling the consumer where to find the recipe cards and also whether items should be refrigerated or frozen (I had to look this up on their website too).

Moving on to making the first meal. The recipe card said prep & cooking time would be 25 - 35 minutes, difficulty level was easy, and 3 simple steps. Not!

Step 1 took 18 minutes and consists of 6 steps including preheating oven for 10 minutes, mincing chives, halving and juicing a lemon, combining broccoli w/ olive oil (not included) and cooking for 8 minutes. Step 2 took 10 minutes and was 5 steps including rinsing and drying shrimp and mixing various things together. Step 3 took 30 minutes and consists of 5 more steps. Cooking for 22 minutes then combining and cooking the topping. A total of 58 minutes and 16 steps.

During this time my husband got hungry and tried to heat himself up a can of soup. He poured it into a small colander that he thought was a bowl and the broth went all over the counter and into a drawer. Not the fault of Home Chef, but was caused by the haphazard way the meal kits were packed into the box and a recipe card that was marked as Easy and supposed to take 25 to 35 minutes. Not an hour. These meal kits might be okay for someone with time on their hands to cook and no distractions, but I was fighting tears by the time I got our first Home Chef meal on the table.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2022

Where is the fish meal we have ever eaten in our lives. Ended up throwing out the entire thing. Tried to cancel the remaining future orders we had with these codes. We had tried one meal at a friend's house that was good and decided to sign up and give it a try. How I regret that decision now. Fish was fishy and seemed almost spoiled. Risotto had more sauce than pasta and was not very flavorful. And all at an exorbitant cost. Avoid at all costs.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2022

I signed up and placed an order that was supposed to be delivered today. It didn’t come, so I had to go to the store (defeats the purpose). My tracking number didn’t work and I had to reach out to the shipper. The shipper had trouble finding my order, and finally said it is not out for delivery, and to email back in 24 hours for an update (meaning it’s not coming tomorrow, either - I don’t even think they have it yet). Since we are dealing with perishable items, better to be safe than sorry-I requested a refund. Hopefully I get one. So disappointed!

Home Chef author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Based in Chicago, Home Chef sends fresh ingredients and recipes to customers each week for them to cook their own meals. The company's algorithm suggests meals for you based on your "taste profile," which details what you do and don’t like to eat.

• Easy subscription: Home Chef is a subscription service, meaning that each week new meals are automatically shipped to the customer unless they opt out.

• Various size options: Customers can select box sizes for two, four or six people for perfect portions.

• Gift meals: Meals can be sent as gifts to friends and family.

• Gourmet menu: Their menu options are unique and provide gourmet meals that are easy to cook.

• Special diet options: They offer low-calorie, gluten-free, soy-free and other restricted-diet options.

Home Chef Company Information