2.73/5

124 Home Chef Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 22, 2019

Food prep was easy and quality was good. Menus were ok. Product was Always on time. We Needed three portions and that was not an option. So we canceled.

Resolution response: March 17, 2019

Great customer service.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I simply wanted to see the website, check menus and pricing... $29.95 later as I found out... you can’t see the details unless you pre-pay their fee... I told them to keep my fee, cancel my account and I’d warn others. Seems this industry may need some government oversight to fully disclose their billing practices. Avoid at all cost or the very least... $29.95.

Get expert buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 7, 2019

When I 1st signed up, over 2 years ago, everything was great! All ingredients, recipe cards included, delivery always on the day selected. Fast forward to 2019. 2 of my BF have been late, the 1st one day late (scheduled Tuesday delivery, arrived Wednesday. It is now Wednesday after 9 pm and it still has not arrived). Mine, scheduled for Friday arrived Saturday. Missing ingredients, and recipe cards. Ripped bags... Considering the price this should not be happening. Really concerned about food safety and I think maybe someone should be inspecting their processes. Kind of sad. I love trying new things and everything was always good. Thinking of cancelling. Wow, it was JUST delivered. 930 pm... 25 hours late. Sigh. But at least it is here!

Original review: March 6, 2019

After doing lots of research on meal delivery companies we decided to try Home Chef and selected 3 meals for four people. It cost us about $90 with the first box discount. The day of delivery came but no package showed by the end of the day so we checked the tracking. The shipping company had postponed its delivery a day, but was expected because of a bad storm.

When the same thing happened the next day we called Home Chef. The customer service was wonderful. They immediately credited our account for the full amount. They instructed us on how to make sure the food was safe or not when the box arrived. They apologized for that being our first experience with them. Just wonderful and professional service. The box arrived the next day and everything was still fresh and cold. We have since made all three meals and it was fantastic. The food was great, easy to make, and perfect serving size. Even my teenage kids were full. We have also made a few recipes on our own. We will continue to use this service. Love it!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Placed my order and several days later I received an email that due to a system glitch my order would be delivered a day late but would be repackaged and shipped so that everything would be fresh. This was ok with me. I received the order the next day and the ice packs were melted and the ingredients on top were not even cold. Romaine lettuce had to be thrown away because it was really brown. Supposed to have 2 shallots and only had one. Also two of the sirloin steaks (we had 4) were very tough and ended up throwing them away after cooking because they were not edible. Very disappointed in Home Chef. The meals were not as tasty as HelloFresh and the ingredients were definitely not as fresh. I will not be ordering from Home Chef again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Chef?

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Order was "shipped on February 13th, 2019." Now says anticipated delivery on "February 19, 2019." Their packaging says "food good for 6 days" which means our $99 order is wasted. There is no way to contact this company to file complaints and request refunds! Stay away from this company!!!!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

My wife, son and I love Home Chef. My sister and a work colleague recommended Home Chef after trying several others. My sister liked Blue Apron as well, but thought that Home Chef had better selections. The food has been great and the cooking instructions clear and easy to follow. My wife has been learning new ways and things to cook and we've really enjoyed each meal. We started out with 5 meals per week, but found that 3 per week better fits our lifestyle, so I easily modified the schedule online. No problems at all. Great selection, high-quality ingredients and email reminders of when selections need to be finalized.

One thing that could be improved would be to allow the selection of 3 servings per meal. Right now the options only allow 1, 2 and 4 servings per meal. I read the reviews about not being able to remove the account. I have not had reason to do this, but I have paused the account twice with no problems because we were traveling. Should I decide to quit the service, I will cancel payment authorization to Home Chef. At the moment, I have no intention of doing so!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I thought I had canceled my account only to find another box on my front door. I was charged $59.00 to my credit card, I called back and told them I did not want it. I was told I was stuck with it because they cannot take it back. I was on hold for 20 minutes trying to talk to a manager. There is no way to delete your payment information from the website. BEWARE.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

Last year I opened an account with Home Chef and was happy with everything. Unfortunately I couldn't afford it anymore and paused my account (no option for cancellation) after receiving my last meal shipment April 2017. This past weekend, I found my card had been charged for a meal delivery. I emailed customer service about the issue and received a response from someone named Rodrigo. He claimed he checked my account and told me that I was basically stuck with the order. I'd like to know how my account became 'unpaused'. Be wary.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I wanted to see the menu offerings prior to ordering. Home Chef makes you enter credit card to see the menu options. I looked at the food and determined it was not to my liking. I immediately paused my account and did not choose any food. There is no option to delete your account. I also sent email to the company stating I was placing account on hold and did not want food delivered. 10 days later I came home to find a box of food from Home Chef on my porch. I tried to call to dispute the order and was on hold for 15 minutes.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

For me it has been great. I have made over 50 different recipes in the past 6 months. I have learned to cook new things that I would not have considered trying to make from scratch. The recipes are very easy to follow. I'm not a chef by any stretch, so far I have only messed up 1 recipe, and that was my fault. If you are trying to eat a little healthier and do not want to spend time at the grocery store it's perfect. They give you exactly the amount you need for the meal. It's easy to clean up as you go, just follow the instructions and dispose of what you use in the provided bag.

Everything has been fresh and not over/under seasoned. They only charge you for what you order. If you're even a little internet savvy you can figure out how to skip a week if you're not interested in that particular menu or you are on vacation, but they will pick 2 meals and send them if you don't skip or forget. I will keep ordering from them. I really have no complaints. It does take a little time to adjust to eating fresh if you are used to take out or a lot of junk food. At first it won't seem like enough, but I'm 250 and after each meal I find I'm full. I feel a bit healthier as well.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I tried HelloFresh first which I really liked but I thought I could spend a little less money for the same quality of food. Home Chef seemed nice because it had more options for meals per week and more meals to choose from. The HUGE difference is that they give you a very very small window of opportunity to pick your meals because the order is finalized. I could change my meals from HelloFresh up to a day before it shipped out, which is convenient if any plans change during the week. I called 5 days before my order was expected to arrive and asked to cancel my processed order because I didn't want half of the meals they were sending me. They refused to cancel my order, or give me a credit for the food I wasn't going to eat. I canceled my subscription promptly and will never use Home Chef again. I will not support a company that treats customers this way, so distasteful and manipulative.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I received my first delivery late and was not able to get a response for over 24-hr after trying to call and email them. I HATE to waste food, but had to toss out 3-days worth of food due to spoilage. Home Chef offered to credit one meal and no refund! I had Blue Apron for over a year and never had such a poor experience with customer service. STAY AWAY FROM Home Chef or you may be sorry!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I began Home Chef in November of 2018. I have been receiving meals 3x per week since then, with exception of a few weeks on hold during vacations. My husband and I have loved this service! First, I have never been a cook, but these recipes are so easy to follow. I like the fact that I can remain on my low carb way of eating. The meals are delicious. Our grocery bill went down, since I spend less on impulse buying and on excess groceries. Only once was our order late and we discovered it was going to be late via email from the company, who gave us a credit for inconvenience. I have received 154 delicious meals. I have zero complaints and all positive reviews.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I have read some reviews for Home Chef on this site and am absolutely baffled. Some of the remarks are inconsistent with their pricing which makes me question were they really reviewing Home Chef. I have ordered over 20 meals with this service for a period of 3 months. I have also tried several other brands which were either overpriced, disorganized, horrific tasting and/or impossible to find an email or person to cancel the service.

Here is a summary of Home Chef’s food: Quality: excellent compared to rotten or foul smelling food from competitors. Price: excellent. I spend as much or more at the grocery store for equivalent meals. Packaging: incredible. From food delivery storage to packaging of each meal kit, quality of food recipe cards etc., organized, organized, organized. Recipes: unbelievable and this is their strongest attribute. Like my 27 yr old son who also orders from them said, “Everything I get is unfricken amazing.”

Selection: unlike some delivery service, there are a ton of choices. Occasionally, I don’t find 3 choices I like. Normally, for these weeks, I find two and am not sure about a third. It is no problem skipping a week. I have saved money using this service since I do not buy more groceries than I need, produce much less of a mess and am trying meals I never cooked before. After 30 yrs, you get tired of the same, old foods. Home Chef is a delight especially compared to their competitors.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Okay, I started with Home Chef about 4 months ago and have been getting 3 meals a week. Reading the reviews on this site it is clear that where you live makes a big difference to the quality of the service. I live in Northern California and my experience has been stellar. So at this point I have probably gotten over 25 different meals. With one exception they have all been extremely adequate to incredibly delicious.

Let me preface this paragraph with a confession that I have cooked all of my life as an amateur. Nightly dinners, dinner parties, holidays, etc. are my bailiwick. Yet I think that makes a huge difference for people that do not have cooking experience I imagine even these simple recipes might be daunting. I can imagine what things will taste like according to the directions and adjust to my taste. I don't think that is true for most people that don't have much cooking experience.

I have not had a single issue with delivery except one time there was a 1 day delay due to the death of President 41. Clearly not their fault. All of the food in the delivery boxes have been impressively, Whole Foods quality. Crisp fresh vegetables, excellent meat (tender after cooking) and fresh fish. I have never had a problem going to the website and sorting out exactly what I want in my order. You just have to be proactive and make changes well in advance. I do agree that there is a lot of packaging but I believe they are all recyclable (at least I have been putting them in the recycle bin). The ooze in the coolant pouches is a bit gross and I could do without that.

Overall I am saving so much money because I like to eat well and have a lot of diversity in my diet and before, when I was pulling recipes off Food Network or some other site, it was really hit or miss if I would like the outcome of the recipe and normally I had to buy a full bottle of each ingredient never knowing if I would use it again. This proved to be expensive on two fronts. One - I had to buy a 15 oz bottle, for example, when I only needed two tablespoons (who knows if I would ever use it again or if it would still be good when I did). This meant that I would pay, say $7.00 for a jar of whatever and then the next time I went to use it - it had gone bad. Factor that into the cost of that recipe!

With Home Chef I get just the amount I need. All the other ingredients like olive oil (or really any cooking oil), salt, pepper, of course anyone has on hand. So overall - I am saving money - portion control was an unexpected perk! And with the exception of the Sweet and Sour Shrimp (just DON'T) it has been a big win for me.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

This company is a ripoff. I signed up to try it once, and they tricked me into recurring charges. $50/wk without permission. I'll never order from this slimy company again. Their practices are a great way to make sure they don't get repeat customers.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Created an online account but paused immediately because I didn’t like their menu options. Not only did they charge me but over two weeks later I got a delivery box. I’m still contesting the charge because I didn’t select or wish for food to be sent. And I don’t like the fact I can’t delete my account or my credit info. Lesson learned. Avoid Home Chef!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I was sent a link to try Home Chef from a friend. I signed up but before it would allow me to see anything regarding meals, I had to put in my credit card information. I completed the signup process but was not able to look to see what I would like to order. I put the account on hold and made sure that nothing was showing in the basket. I was going to wait and look later. Within 10 minutes of me leaving the site, they had already charged my card. I immediately called them and cancel my account. If they charge me without really look (and I made sure that I had nothing in the basket until I decided to return later), they were not going to honor putting the account on hold. This is really bad business.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

This company is a ripoffs. They offers Groupon that sounds like a good deal at the time but they also have $30 or $40 off first time customer at their website. Do not go with the Groupon deal because you will ended pay more money out of pocket and they do not do anything to compensate you back the extra money you pay. There is no integrity in this company. Bring your business somewhere else.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I first started my meal delivery journey with HelloFresh which I loved but my husband thought was too pricey. Then I tried Blue Apron and it was okay, but their OnTrac delivery service was horrid! I received my delivery a whole day and half late! So I switched to Home Chef to see what they had to offer. Same OnTrac delivery service and my kit was delivered to the wrong address!!! See after three separate meal kit services, I say cook your own food because this is crazy!!!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I ordered shrimp and grits, steak salad and pork loin with sauce. Shrimp and grits were tasteless and the amount of spinach was woefully inadequate. The steak salad meat was well, kind of creepy, overcooked before even being rewarmed and fatty. The tomatoes were hard as rocks and not remotely ripened. Inadequate amount of blue cheese which was poor quality. Half of the broccoli with the pork dish had copious yellow budding and needed to be tossed. I would have been far better served by hoofing up to Whole Foods for their warm food bar. There was so much plastic housing the food and in non-recyclable plastic (curbside), that I just plain felt guilty for ordering altogether.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I have to preface this by saying I generally really enjoy Home Chef. My boyfriend signed up for it because he received a free trial or a large discount on our first order... We like it because we both work really long hours and really the last thing we want to do is figure out dinner or go to the grocery store. We don’t keep a lot of food in the house because we are gone so much. We have been consistent weekly delivery customers for about 4-5 months now and we have received and made around 50 different recipes. Some of them we liked so much. We actually went and re-bought the ingredients and made them on a weekend or a day where we didn’t have meals left from the delivery. We receive our deliveries every Wednesday and we usually just get 3 recipes, 2 servings each. We like that we can pick weekly how many we want based on our budget.

Sometimes if one of gets a bigger check we will do dinners for 5 days, but most weeks we will just do the 3. You have to be proactive and view the menus for each week and pick what you want though, otherwise they will pick for you and that has accidentally happened a few times due to us just forgetting. On the weeks that they have picked for us, the meals are still very good, but they just aren’t the type of meals that we would pick. They are very “basic” I guess for lack of a better term. Usually always very tasty though. I wish they could somehow base the picks off our history... maybe like if we typically do the premium meals, just send us premium meals instead of chicken or pork and veggies. This week’s delivery is what prompted this review because the past month or so, each week something has gone wrong with our order.

For instance, we forgot to pick our meals for this week and instead of sending us 3 dinner meals they sent us 2 very basic (and honestly they don’t really look that appealing) dinners and a smoothie. What am I supposed to do with a smoothie? From my understanding smoothies are something you have to request extra... so now we only have 2 dinners and a smoothie which is like a snack I guess. To make matters worse, I probably won’t even get the full smoothie because when I pulled the ingredient bag out of the box, it was completely ripped open at the side - almost like someone took scissors to it so the container with the mango purée went flying and hit the floor and spilled out about half.

So not only was the bag ripped, but the container that had the main ingredient wasn’t closed tight and well... I have enough for one smoothie maybe. Not the two portions I should have. The first thing that ever went “wrong” was they sent us an extra meal... we weren’t charged for it so I guess that’s not really bad but it didn’t come with a recipe card. Good news is I was able to go to the Home Chef website and find the recipe there. The very next week we received our order with two of the same recipe, and then the other one we ordered. We received the recipe card for a taco salad (which is what we ordered) but instead we received a duplicate of one of the pasta dishes. So we got 3 meals, but just two of the same. Again, not the worst thing that could happen because we liked the pasta but we chose the taco salad for a reason obviously.

The NEXT week, we received the 3 meals we asked for with the corresponding recipe cards but when my boyfriend went to go make the lunch wrap, he noticed that not all ingredients were included. It was supposed to be a chicken artichoke wrap but... there were no artichokes. It was also missing the sauce so it was a dry chicken and lettuce wrap. So now a few weeks in a row something has been off with our order and I feel like whoever is packing the boxes or fulfilling the orders is just getting lazy... I’m sure it’s multiple people but for the price that we pay each week it’s getting a little annoying.

We order the meals because it saves us time. We don’t have time to go get missing ingredients and we look forward to the meals that we pick every week so when we don’t get what we were hoping for it’s really disappointing. I gave it 3 stars just because each meal we have made has been absolutely delicious and the instructions are very easy to follow. Even the “basic” stuff doesn’t taste so basic when all is said and done. Just wish the packing department and order fulfillment department could get it together.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Our first order was never received. Called multiple times with no answers for over 30 minutes at a time, sent emails with no response, reached out to social media with no response. Awful. Will stick with other food delivery services that actually respond. Never use!!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

We had pork and chicken juice leaked all over our meals during this delivery. Contacted customer service and still no response. From their Facebook page I guess it is a consistent issue and they hardly ever respond. We want a refund!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I enjoyed the meals and the variety. However, although I am single I cook large meals and freeze in portions as my life is busy and I do not have time to cook daily. The meals tended to take quite a bit of time to prepare and then I only had two meals for all that work. That was not a good return on my labor. So, after a few weeks I dropped the service and never picked it back up. A friend sent me a free week of another meal delivery service, but I never activated it.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

It is impossible to get a hold of them by phone when there is an issue with the order (something missing). However, when you email them about the issue they always make it right! Excellent customer service in that regard. The meals are really good, some better than others.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Home Chef has excellent quality and dependable service with orders. Have used Home Chef for over a year and never had a negative experience. Love the option to cancel any particular order and resume when I am in town.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I decided to try Home Chef out, and have been pleased with the meals - until last week. I awaited my delivery, and it didn't arrive - so I checked tracking and email and found FedEx delayed it a day. Now, this box had already been traveling several days in heat that exceeded 90 degrees. Home Chef sent an email saying it should be fine, as they planned for extended travel. I watched for the box to arrive the next day, and as soon as it did, I opened it - only to find the non-meat items were hot, the vegetables were rotting in the bags and had a bad smell, and the meats were warm. Granted - not Home Chef's fault. My complaint is - I immediately tried reaching out to Customer Service via phone - sat on hold 20 mins listening to the Muzak, and then the call suddenly dropped. I dialed back and the phone kept clicking over to nothing then the call ended.

So, I sent an email - and received an automated reply that said I would hear from them soon. It's now been 4 days - and another email - no reply. I tried calling again - and back on hold. I cannot reach Customer Service and they have not responded to my emails. As long as there are no issues, the service is fine. But beware.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I love the Home Chef... The meals are easy and tasty. Anytime I have had an issue it was quickly taken care of. I have been ordering for months and still love them. Wish it was a bit more cost-effective as $40 per meal gets really pricey... But their portions are good. Wish they had options for families of three and a bit more customizable. Overall has been a very positive experience. My teenage son loves cooking the meals and it has build his confidence and taught him a lot in the kitchen. He enjoys it a lot more than home economics class in school. He loves that he knows he can cook and he can cook good for family or to impress a girl!

Home Chef expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Based in Chicago, Home Chef sends fresh ingredients and recipes to customers each week for them to cook their own meals. The company's algorithm suggests meals for you based on your "taste profile," which details what you do and don’t like to eat.

• Easy subscription: Home Chef is a subscription service, meaning that each week new meals are automatically shipped to the customer unless they opt out.

• Various size options: Customers can select box sizes for two, four or six people for perfect portions.

• Gift meals: Meals can be sent as gifts to friends and family.

• Gourmet menu: Their menu options are unique and provide gourmet meals that are easy to cook.

• Special diet options: They offer low-calorie, gluten-free, soy-free and other restricted-diet options.

• Best for: Busy individuals and families, people looking to expand their cooking knowledge and people with dietary restrictions.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs