Home Chef Reviews

• 9%
  • 10%
  • 60%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Chef?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Chef?

Reviewed July 6, 2024

I have been sick for many days with the flu. My wife went to get me some chicken soup when I was good enough to eat something. She brought home this Home Chef brand from Kroger. There is literally 1 piece of chicken in the entire container of soup, with VERY tiny vegetable pieces in it. I decided to try it anyway. The celery pieces were inedible. Then I noticed a thin layer of oil covering the top of the soup. I know it is some kind of oil because it will not mix with the broth. I don't know what this is, but it is not chicken soup. Buyer beware. Don't put this junk in your body.

Reviewed July 3, 2024

I am very upset. My account was deactivated sometime ago. Somehow my CC was kept on file. I suddenly received a box of food. Charged to my CC. I did not order a shipment. I called. They offered me a refund of 25%. Cancelled my subscription, which I never authorized and removed my CC. Why did they not do this before? I am a senior citizen and feel I was taken advantage of.

Get buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Reviewed June 5, 2024

I have now received 4 separate Home Chef deliveries over the past 6 weeks. EVERY delivery is INCOMPLETE and missing ingredients. In one case, the recipe was for pork chops. They sent me a package of ground sweet Italian sausage, no pork chops. In another instance, there was no panko break crumbs included despite the breadcrumbs required to complete the recipe. In another yet separate order, there was no wine vinegar included - again a key ingredient in the recipe. Tonight, alas we started to prepare the honey pecan chicken recipe - step 2 calls for thinly slicing chalet - one problem - no chalet included in order. When your sole value proposition is packaging necessary ingredients, yet they FAIL MISERABLY 100% of the Time. INCOMPLETE and/or WRONG CONTENTS provided, in my case they messed up 4 out of 4 deliveries.

Reviewed May 6, 2024

I purchased a Home Chef "Loaded Cavatappi and Cheese with Chicken" Heat and Eat meal from my local Fred Meyer today. In a word, it was awful. To me, the primary taste was salt, there was only a tiny bit of mushed chicken and following the heating directions, the meal was still uncooked and cool. I will certainly not recommend this meal. Unfortunately, I purchased two others and will find out how they taste later this week.

Customer ServiceOnline & App

Reviewed April 26, 2024

I suggests you stay away from Homechef Meal. The flavor is so yuck! Too salty. Basically all veggies are not fresh at all! I would not recommend. Customer service is also bad when coming to solving problem. I tried to contact them but they didn’t answer me. And when I tried to leave a review on their website, it could not be posted. The website is also very complicated to choose meals.

Installation & Setup

Reviewed April 19, 2024

I absolutely love Home Chef meals. The instructions are clear and yes, it takes me a little more time to prep than they say but so worth it. We have been customers for one month and not one meal has been bad. Matter of fact all of them have been delicious even though I was a bit skeptical about a few of them but turned out fantastic. I like that I am saving money on groceries as prices are so high for so little product. We cut down from five meals per week to three and that works for us.

I like the binder they gave me to put the recipes in and I personally find it easy to prepare as everything is planned out for the recipe. I know I can make choices on what we feel like eating each night and if we are not hungry we skip a day or two. The ingredients are fresh, well packaged and delivery is perfect. The meals are healthy and well balanced. I haven't come across a meal where I have to "fry" anything. Vegetables are sautéed in olive oil and nothing is greasy. If you are looking for something completely easy then go to fast food. Good meals take a little time to prepare. Love you Home Chef. Thank you for making our lives easier and our dinners yummy. Compliments to your chefs!

Price

Reviewed April 12, 2024

I've been using Home Chef on and off for like 7 year. Years ago I would have given a higher rating. Over the past year especially there has been an issue with almost every single order. Incorrect meal kits, spoiled meat, dry/old produce, squishy/inedible produce, moldy produce... They always give refunds when I report in with a picture, which I appreciate, but I shouldn't need to do that every single week! I'm always told they'll talk to the production team about what happened. Um, okay.

After hearing that probably more than 50 times with zero improvement, sorry if it doesn't ring true. It's become more of a headache than a convenience, and the meals are getting more expensive. Not worth it. I used to recommend Home Chef. Now, I'm planning to cancel as soon as we have another meal solution in place. I usually prefer not to publicly criticize companies, but I don't see how else to get the message across: improve the quality of the service you provide. Right now, y'all should be embarrassed.

Online & App

Reviewed April 9, 2024

I signed up for an introductory offer and chose 4 meals for 2 people per week. The website is not too user friendly and picking out meals is awkward (and I have a programming degree). When the food arrived the the package was leaking and only the meats were cool. There are no recipe cards and when I went online to cancel they informed me that I needed to log in to the website and find "my cookbook" and from there locate the recipe each time I want to prepare a meal. The food is fresh but the sauces etc are little tiny squeeze packs and the portions are small. I have not made any of the meals yet but will update if noteworthy.

Pinned

Hi there! Thank you for this feedback. We are sorry to hear about your experience, and will be sure to send this along to our team.

Profile pic of the author.
      Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed April 1, 2024

We've used Home Chef a number of times in the past and, on a positive note, the meals are generally delicious. Unfortunately, there are negatives that make it impossible to ever use them again:

1. They will "auto-send" meals unless you opt out. However, they will unilaterally reset your preferred schedule. For example, if you choose to get a delivery every other week they will unilaterally re-set it to weekly so you don't even know you have meals you need to "opt out" of.

2. I had gone through the process of skipping meals the past several months because we were away a lot during the winter. I then placed an order for this week and got a confirmation of the order. When it didn't arrive I contacted them to find out that they had simply not shipped it because my credit card on file had expired. No notice, no request for an update, no rescission of the order confirmation - and they could care less.

As I said, the meals are actually tasty (although very small portions at a high price) but how can I do business with a company that simply ignored a confirmed order with no communication and didn't even care when it was reported?

Pinned

Hi there! Thank you for this feedback. We are an automatic subscription service, so by nature orders will be sent weekly unless specifically skipped or paused. We apologize that you were unable to receive an order due to failed payment and did not receive a notice of this. We always encourage you to check Spam as these emails should be sent automatically.

Reviewed March 16, 2024

We joined Home Chef about a month ago. The first box was fine and the food was good, although the ingredients were mostly melted and a metal pan that we were to use to cook a meal was smashed flat. Then the next boxes started coming in. The bags with the meats were not zipped, and the meats leaked all over the other food because the chicken and fish were leaking from their packaging. One box had two of five recipe cards (three were missing entirely), and one of those was between the insulation and the cardboard and we almost missed it. I'm done with this service. Moving on to see if I can find one that is food-safe.

Pinned

Hi there! We are sorry to hear about this. If you haven't yet, we encourage you to reach out to our support team at support@homechef.com so we can properly document and assist with this issue.

Home Chef author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Based in Chicago, Home Chef sends fresh ingredients and recipes to customers each week for them to cook their own meals. The company's algorithm suggests meals for you based on your "taste profile," which details what you do and don’t like to eat.

• Easy subscription: Home Chef is a subscription service, meaning that each week new meals are automatically shipped to the customer unless they opt out.

• Various size options: Customers can select box sizes for two, four or six people for perfect portions.

• Gift meals: Meals can be sent as gifts to friends and family.

• Gourmet menu: Their menu options are unique and provide gourmet meals that are easy to cook.

• Special diet options: They offer low-calorie, gluten-free, soy-free and other restricted-diet options.

Home Chef Company Information