Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.06/5

Looking for a weight loss solution?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Looking for a weight loss solution?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Home Chef Reviews

Original review: June 29, 2019

We have only had two weeks of 2 meals per week. As new customers, we're very pleased with Home Chef. The only thing that was a little disappointing was a little package of fresh parsley because it was a bit wilted. Also the first two boxes have been dented but everything inside was fine. We live in Central Florida and the heat is intense this time of year. That said, our shipments have been cold and safe temperature wise. Regarding cost, I feel the meals are reasonable when you consider this: you would spend much more and have lots of waste if you had to use the variety of spices and fresh produce such as green onions, parsley, fresh basil, etc. to cook at home. I have for years had to throw away lots of wilted unused produce and tossed uneaten leftovers. Now we have 2 tasty meals per week with lots of fun choices and no leftovers.

The meals are quite generous. Then consider what you would spend if the two of you ate out. Say each dinner cost $15; add two glasses of wine at $9, taxes, and a tip. Add $30.00, $18.00, tax about $5, and tip of $10 to $12.00 equals about $63 to $65.00. And my example is using a very reasonable restaurant. We are enjoying choosing different meals to try each week and we're having fun putting them together with very explicit step by step pictures and directions. Our recommendation is GO FOR IT. It's fun, varied, and fresh.

Original review: May 3, 2019

Our favorite meal delivery service. To provide context, we’ve tried 4 meal services. We were with Blue Apron for about a year before making the switch to Home Chef. According to their app we have now cooked 223 Home Chef recipes!! All that should tell you that we clearly love the service. Home Chef to me is good old “simple” delicious meals. Blue Apron was nice but started getting a little tired of their fancy dishes when all I wanted was good home cooking. What we love: High number of choices every week. Easy selection in the mobile app. Great tasting meals. Customer service. What we don’t like: The packaging could be improved. Occasional screw up in ingredient packing.

I’m quite surprised reading some of reviews. People complaining about recurring charges (it’s a weekly delivery service!) or poor customer service. I have had a few issues with missing ingredients or an occasional missing ingredient but customer service has always gone above and beyond to make it right. Considering we’re 223 recipes in, a few mishaps are ok especially since they more than make up for it. My hope is they improve the packaging (more ice and a reprint of the box because fedex always leave it on the side because of the label causing the ice pack to slip down). But that’s a minor complaint. As long as they stick to their core of providing down to earth home cooked meals we will remain a customer.

Get expert buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 6, 2019

After doing lots of research on meal delivery companies we decided to try Home Chef and selected 3 meals for four people. It cost us about $90 with the first box discount. The day of delivery came but no package showed by the end of the day so we checked the tracking. The shipping company had postponed its delivery a day, but was expected because of a bad storm.

When the same thing happened the next day we called Home Chef. The customer service was wonderful. They immediately credited our account for the full amount. They instructed us on how to make sure the food was safe or not when the box arrived. They apologized for that being our first experience with them. Just wonderful and professional service. The box arrived the next day and everything was still fresh and cold. We have since made all three meals and it was fantastic. The food was great, easy to make, and perfect serving size. Even my teenage kids were full. We have also made a few recipes on our own. We will continue to use this service. Love it!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

My wife, son and I love Home Chef. My sister and a work colleague recommended Home Chef after trying several others. My sister liked Blue Apron as well, but thought that Home Chef had better selections. The food has been great and the cooking instructions clear and easy to follow. My wife has been learning new ways and things to cook and we've really enjoyed each meal. We started out with 5 meals per week, but found that 3 per week better fits our lifestyle, so I easily modified the schedule online. No problems at all. Great selection, high-quality ingredients and email reminders of when selections need to be finalized.

One thing that could be improved would be to allow the selection of 3 servings per meal. Right now the options only allow 1, 2 and 4 servings per meal. I read the reviews about not being able to remove the account. I have not had reason to do this, but I have paused the account twice with no problems because we were traveling. Should I decide to quit the service, I will cancel payment authorization to Home Chef. At the moment, I have no intention of doing so!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

For me it has been great. I have made over 50 different recipes in the past 6 months. I have learned to cook new things that I would not have considered trying to make from scratch. The recipes are very easy to follow. I'm not a chef by any stretch, so far I have only messed up 1 recipe, and that was my fault. If you are trying to eat a little healthier and do not want to spend time at the grocery store it's perfect. They give you exactly the amount you need for the meal. It's easy to clean up as you go, just follow the instructions and dispose of what you use in the provided bag.

Everything has been fresh and not over/under seasoned. They only charge you for what you order. If you're even a little internet savvy you can figure out how to skip a week if you're not interested in that particular menu or you are on vacation, but they will pick 2 meals and send them if you don't skip or forget. I will keep ordering from them. I really have no complaints. It does take a little time to adjust to eating fresh if you are used to take out or a lot of junk food. At first it won't seem like enough, but I'm 250 and after each meal I find I'm full. I feel a bit healthier as well.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Chef?

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

I often purchase meals at QFC or Fred Meyer to freeze and keep on hand for quick dinners. The stores recently changed brands to Home Chef so I thought I would give them a try. Really disappointed with both meals I've tried. The chicken used with the cavatappi pasta did not taste like a real chicken breast - more like pressed. Texture was mushy and had no flavor. The lasagna looked good but after following the cooking instructions - microwave for 8 minutes - the noodles were so tough it was difficult to even cut them with a knife. After a short time on my plate even the topping was uncuttable. I have one more dinner in my freezer to try but if it's similar in quality to the two I have already tried I will not be purchasing these items again.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

My daughter sent me an email that says she purchased me a Gift Card at Home Chef. The Home Chef site directed me download the gift card but Pushing on the "Download Your Gift Card" button I was taken to a site where I was directed to take the voucher code shown and visit the Home site and create a new account. Everything was fine until they asked for my credit card after doing the brief survey of food likes and dislikes. They also indicated that my selection would be billed at over $50 some dollars a shipment/weekly.

I tried repeatedly to enter my voucher number; wouldn't accept anything past the number 6 at front. I contacted my daughter and relayed the problem. She called Home Chef and after a lengthy wait was finally told that the voucher had probably not been activated and that I should retry. I disagreed, telling her I was never allowed to enter the number. They also suggested that I use Google Chrome in lieu of Firefox. To make a long story short, I called and was on hold for over 2 minutes; hung up and then called and told my daughter to cancel and get her money back. I can say my experience with Home Chef was "bah humbug".

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

I have been with Home Chef for quite some time now. Overall our experience hasn't been horrible however; if you are a planner and you make a meal plan each week and depend on your box to feed your family...do not count on this company to deliver on time. I have had countless missed deliveries resulting in countless credits from the company to my account. I depend on these items to arrive on Tuesday as the company states it will and unfortunately that does not happen. We plan our meals around these deliveries and spend over $130 a week with Home Chef. We have had to plan alternate meals because we cannot count on Home Chef to deliver. This results in buying MORE food than necessary and other issues with trying to plan our week.

Also...just an FYI, their customer service is very poor. Initially this was not the case however, the company has seriously been lacking. I have had to send over 5 emails to get a response from someone in regards to missed deliveries. If you want to cross your fingers and hope for your package and if you want the headache of sending emails for credits to your account constantly and dealing unresponsive customer service reps...then this is the service for you.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

I won't repeat the same type of stories others have written. Look at all the low ratings. I received spoiled meat more than once. Have been unable to cancel my subscription and get no response from Home Chef regarding this issue. Next step is calling my bank.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

I tried a couple of dozen of these over 2 years. When they starting selling them in stores. They were novel dinners. The recipes were somewhat solid. Then more and more the recipes needed adjustments. The last one it was obvious they didn’t test it at all. It went straight into the garbage. I wrote telling them about this really bad recipe. They just ignore me. So if you interested trying these. Get one from the store. Don’t commit to one of their package deals, you’ll regret it...

Not sure about Home Chef?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Meal Delivery Service for you.

Home Chef expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Based in Chicago, Home Chef sends fresh ingredients and recipes to customers each week for them to cook their own meals. The company's algorithm suggests meals for you based on your "taste profile," which details what you do and don’t like to eat.

• Easy subscription: Home Chef is a subscription service, meaning that each week new meals are automatically shipped to the customer unless they opt out.

• Various size options: Customers can select box sizes for two, four or six people for perfect portions.

• Gift meals: Meals can be sent as gifts to friends and family.

• Gourmet menu: Their menu options are unique and provide gourmet meals that are easy to cook.

• Special diet options: They offer low-calorie, gluten-free, soy-free and other restricted-diet options.

• Best for: Busy individuals and families, people looking to expand their cooking knowledge and people with dietary restrictions.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team