Looking for a weight loss solution?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.13/5

175 Home Chef Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 29, 2019

We have only had two weeks of 2 meals per week. As new customers, we're very pleased with Home Chef. The only thing that was a little disappointing was a little package of fresh parsley because it was a bit wilted. Also the first two boxes have been dented but everything inside was fine. We live in Central Florida and the heat is intense this time of year. That said, our shipments have been cold and safe temperature wise. Regarding cost, I feel the meals are reasonable when you consider this: you would spend much more and have lots of waste if you had to use the variety of spices and fresh produce such as green onions, parsley, fresh basil, etc. to cook at home. I have for years had to throw away lots of wilted unused produce and tossed uneaten leftovers. Now we have 2 tasty meals per week with lots of fun choices and no leftovers.

The meals are quite generous. Then consider what you would spend if the two of you ate out. Say each dinner cost $15; add two glasses of wine at $9, taxes, and a tip. Add $30.00, $18.00, tax about $5, and tip of $10 to $12.00 equals about $63 to $65.00. And my example is using a very reasonable restaurant. We are enjoying choosing different meals to try each week and we're having fun putting them together with very explicit step by step pictures and directions. Our recommendation is GO FOR IT. It's fun, varied, and fresh.

Original review: May 3, 2019

Our favorite meal delivery service. To provide context, we’ve tried 4 meal services. We were with Blue Apron for about a year before making the switch to Home Chef. According to their app we have now cooked 223 Home Chef recipes!! All that should tell you that we clearly love the service. Home Chef to me is good old “simple” delicious meals. Blue Apron was nice but started getting a little tired of their fancy dishes when all I wanted was good home cooking. What we love: High number of choices every week. Easy selection in the mobile app. Great tasting meals. Customer service. What we don’t like: The packaging could be improved. Occasional screw up in ingredient packing.

I’m quite surprised reading some of reviews. People complaining about recurring charges (it’s a weekly delivery service!) or poor customer service. I have had a few issues with missing ingredients or an occasional missing ingredient but customer service has always gone above and beyond to make it right. Considering we’re 223 recipes in, a few mishaps are ok especially since they more than make up for it. My hope is they improve the packaging (more ice and a reprint of the box because fedex always leave it on the side because of the label causing the ice pack to slip down). But that’s a minor complaint. As long as they stick to their core of providing down to earth home cooked meals we will remain a customer.

Get expert buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

For me it has been great. I have made over 50 different recipes in the past 6 months. I have learned to cook new things that I would not have considered trying to make from scratch. The recipes are very easy to follow. I'm not a chef by any stretch, so far I have only messed up 1 recipe, and that was my fault. If you are trying to eat a little healthier and do not want to spend time at the grocery store it's perfect. They give you exactly the amount you need for the meal. It's easy to clean up as you go, just follow the instructions and dispose of what you use in the provided bag.

Everything has been fresh and not over/under seasoned. They only charge you for what you order. If you're even a little internet savvy you can figure out how to skip a week if you're not interested in that particular menu or you are on vacation, but they will pick 2 meals and send them if you don't skip or forget. I will keep ordering from them. I really have no complaints. It does take a little time to adjust to eating fresh if you are used to take out or a lot of junk food. At first it won't seem like enough, but I'm 250 and after each meal I find I'm full. I feel a bit healthier as well.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I have read some reviews for Home Chef on this site and am absolutely baffled. Some of the remarks are inconsistent with their pricing which makes me question were they really reviewing Home Chef. I have ordered over 20 meals with this service for a period of 3 months. I have also tried several other brands which were either overpriced, disorganized, horrific tasting and/or impossible to find an email or person to cancel the service.

Here is a summary of Home Chef’s food: Quality: excellent compared to rotten or foul smelling food from competitors. Price: excellent. I spend as much or more at the grocery store for equivalent meals. Packaging: incredible. From food delivery storage to packaging of each meal kit, quality of food recipe cards etc., organized, organized, organized. Recipes: unbelievable and this is their strongest attribute. Like my 27 yr old son who also orders from them said, “Everything I get is unfricken amazing.”

Selection: unlike some delivery service, there are a ton of choices. Occasionally, I don’t find 3 choices I like. Normally, for these weeks, I find two and am not sure about a third. It is no problem skipping a week. I have saved money using this service since I do not buy more groceries than I need, produce much less of a mess and am trying meals I never cooked before. After 30 yrs, you get tired of the same, old foods. Home Chef is a delight especially compared to their competitors.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Okay, I started with Home Chef about 4 months ago and have been getting 3 meals a week. Reading the reviews on this site it is clear that where you live makes a big difference to the quality of the service. I live in Northern California and my experience has been stellar. So at this point I have probably gotten over 25 different meals. With one exception they have all been extremely adequate to incredibly delicious.

Let me preface this paragraph with a confession that I have cooked all of my life as an amateur. Nightly dinners, dinner parties, holidays, etc. are my bailiwick. Yet I think that makes a huge difference for people that do not have cooking experience I imagine even these simple recipes might be daunting. I can imagine what things will taste like according to the directions and adjust to my taste. I don't think that is true for most people that don't have much cooking experience.

I have not had a single issue with delivery except one time there was a 1 day delay due to the death of President 41. Clearly not their fault. All of the food in the delivery boxes have been impressively, Whole Foods quality. Crisp fresh vegetables, excellent meat (tender after cooking) and fresh fish. I have never had a problem going to the website and sorting out exactly what I want in my order. You just have to be proactive and make changes well in advance. I do agree that there is a lot of packaging but I believe they are all recyclable (at least I have been putting them in the recycle bin). The ooze in the coolant pouches is a bit gross and I could do without that.

Overall I am saving so much money because I like to eat well and have a lot of diversity in my diet and before, when I was pulling recipes off Food Network or some other site, it was really hit or miss if I would like the outcome of the recipe and normally I had to buy a full bottle of each ingredient never knowing if I would use it again. This proved to be expensive on two fronts. One - I had to buy a 15 oz bottle, for example, when I only needed two tablespoons (who knows if I would ever use it again or if it would still be good when I did). This meant that I would pay, say $7.00 for a jar of whatever and then the next time I went to use it - it had gone bad. Factor that into the cost of that recipe!

With Home Chef I get just the amount I need. All the other ingredients like olive oil (or really any cooking oil), salt, pepper, of course anyone has on hand. So overall - I am saving money - portion control was an unexpected perk! And with the exception of the Sweet and Sour Shrimp (just DON'T) it has been a big win for me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Chef?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

The food is good, it’s set up to be very easy to make meals and for the most part all the meals tasted good. But the customer service is lacking, they do not respond. I tried to contact them after realizing I had not paused the account, my fault on missing that but to get absolutely no response shows that it’s not important to follow through with the customer. Maybe a small thing to some but l ended up permanently pausing my account, because you can't cancel, because of it. A poor ending to what was a decent service before.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

I have tried other meal delivery services. Blue Apron which was way too time consuming and complicated. HelloFresh didn't arrive the first week, the box was all wet and damaged the second week and the third week didn't arrive again. Home Chef is by far the best service out there. They arrive every week as scheduled, the food is still cold and ice still frozen, the meal choices are many and so good, and the food is easily prepared with easy to follow recipes.

I order 2 meals a week for 4 people and prepare both meals every Tuesday evening - that is how simple these meals are to prepare. Everyone that tastes these meals is impressed. The price is by far cheaper than going to the supermarket and buying full sized bottles of ingredients that you may never use again. That being said, there are hardly any recipes that I wouldn't personally make again. I cannot say enough good things about this delivery service...Thank you Home Chef for making my life a little easier...

Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

Pros: If you want to learn some masterful cooking techniques, these folks are for you. Also, Customer Service will refund you readily for spoiled product. Meats are high quality. Cons: Plan to use that aforementioned customer service refund thing a LOT. Like every other order. They ship fresh veggies and partially partially-frozen meats in a thinly insulated cardboard box with frozen gel-packs. Boxes arrive ripped, with thawed gel goo coating your food.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2019

We used Home Chef for about 2 months. First few meals were amazing. Each week after seemed to be of lesser quality. The last 2 meals we received were so fatty that they had to be tossed. The first one was a salad with chicken. The chicken was horrible and fatty. We only ate the greens. The second meal for the week was supposed to be pork tenderloins with broccoli. The broccoli was brown and the tenderloin was so fatty not even worth cooking for the dogs. I sent an email expressing my concerns since it was now our 3rd time complaining. We received a partial discount and a empty apology. Of course we cancelled our subscription. It’s a waste of money if they cannot correct their issues.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

The box was delivered 3 hours prior to me getting home. All the "ice" packs had melted. I had 3 meals with chicken. The chicken smelled spoiled. The spring mix was old and soggy. It looked like it had expired 4 - 5 days prior. The apple and dried cranberries were fine. I threw all the chicken in the trash. To say it was nasty would be an understatement.

Home Chef expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Based in Chicago, Home Chef sends fresh ingredients and recipes to customers each week for them to cook their own meals. The company's algorithm suggests meals for you based on your "taste profile," which details what you do and don’t like to eat.

• Easy subscription: Home Chef is a subscription service, meaning that each week new meals are automatically shipped to the customer unless they opt out.

• Various size options: Customers can select box sizes for two, four or six people for perfect portions.

• Gift meals: Meals can be sent as gifts to friends and family.

• Gourmet menu: Their menu options are unique and provide gourmet meals that are easy to cook.

• Special diet options: They offer low-calorie, gluten-free, soy-free and other restricted-diet options.

• Best for: Busy individuals and families, people looking to expand their cooking knowledge and people with dietary restrictions.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs