Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.01/5

Home Chef Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Chef?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Chef?

Original review: May 15, 2020

We have been using Home Chef since April 2017. We love the service and the food. We do not have delivery problems, as some have mentioned in earlier reviews. The food is fresh and there is a decent variety. We "default" to low carb meals but have the option of changing to any of the other meals offered that week. There are regular prep time (15-30 minutes) menus, quick prep versions, and some that even bake in a provided pan. I especially like that they added the customize option so we can change up the type or amount of protein if we choose to. Also, we have enjoyed being introduced to some new combinations and sauces we otherwise wouldn't have experienced. Please bear in mind that unsatisfied customers are much more likely to leave a review than a satisfied customer. I know there are many others out there like us, who really like Home Chef.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

I love using Home Chef because it's super convenient, the food is delicious, and the amount of money spent on food has reduced. My partner and I are a childless couple for now, and this is great because it has just two servings which is perfect for our little family. I don't have the monthly subscription any longer because it did feel a bit intimidating having to cook all of the meals before the next box because we skipped a meal or decided to go out. But we still use their products because they have them at our local King Soopers which is nice because I can pick it up whenever I am ready and I am able to look at how fresh the produce is in the box before I purchase! All and All it's worth it!

Get buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

I have tried other meal delivery services. Blue Apron which was way too time consuming and complicated. HelloFresh didn't arrive the first week, the box was all wet and damaged the second week and the third week didn't arrive again. Home Chef is by far the best service out there. They arrive every week as scheduled, the food is still cold and ice still frozen, the meal choices are many and so good, and the food is easily prepared with easy to follow recipes.

I order 2 meals a week for 4 people and prepare both meals every Tuesday evening - that is how simple these meals are to prepare. Everyone that tastes these meals is impressed. The price is by far cheaper than going to the supermarket and buying full sized bottles of ingredients that you may never use again. That being said, there are hardly any recipes that I wouldn't personally make again. I cannot say enough good things about this delivery service...Thank you Home Chef for making my life a little easier...

Original review: July 26, 2019

I'm going to start by saying the ingredient quality of the food is great. Everything is really fresh and clean and I liked it. The recipes are good, albeit maybe the menu I picked all had a high % of fat as calories - and that's a problem with my macros. However, the recipes are delicious. The biggest IF and I think it would apply to the whole industry is the amount of waste generated by this service, which if you're environmentally conscious, it's a deal breaker. While the plastic of the "coolers" can be recycled, you still have to dispose of the gel, and pretty much everything inside comes in a plastic wrap. If there was a way to reuse, or recycle all of this or avoid this amount of waste I would reconsider subscribing, because the convenience is great.

Original review: July 18, 2019

My husband and I have been ordering Home Chef for just over a year and have been generally thrilled with it. There has been the occasional damaged or missing ingredient, but we have made tons of meals that we otherwise would never have tried. We now have new cooking techniques in our back pockets, so that when we cook with our regular groceries, we can prepare a much greater variety than we had previously. Understandably, sometimes things do not go well in shipping, and while that's incredibly frustrating, the last two tickets I have had to put in to customer service have been answered quickly and provided a solution I was very happy with. In fact, I was so impressed with their customer service, I just googled where I could leave a positive review for Home Chef, which lead me here. Quality ingredients. Fantastic menu selection. Unmatched customer service. I highly recommend this service.

Original review: July 7, 2020

My friend Sindra is an empty nester that loves to cook. Although I eat servings enough for a party of three, she consistently cooks me amazing meals from Home Chef. I get to taste dishes from around the world on a daily basis, in the comfort of her home. These meals taste as if she has been cooking for days, when in reality it has been 45 minutes or less. The flavors are savory, sweet and everything in between...kind of like our friendship. Thank you Home Chef!

Original review: June 12, 2020

I have been reviewing these home delivery food services and this one, I thought, had the best potential. However, after trying for a week to set up an account and getting errors on the site I thought okay I’m sticking with this and calling support to help. Unfortunately, there is NO way to call, it’s submit an email, so I did. The error I was receiving was my postal zip code was incorrect... I’ve lived here 10 years, I know my zip code. SO I get a response to my email it says try again... I do same thing. I email back same error, she says, "It’s your CSV code, you are entering four digits not three."

I email her back and ask, "Do you accept American Express cards?" She says yes. I tell her, "The error says incorrect postal code remember not CSV code." She says, "Yeah, but maybe you...meaning me, have the wrong address including zip code on your AMEX." I reply, "I’ve lived here for 10 years, same AMEX same zip..." WTF? So benefit of the doubt working, I ask, "Do you have a technology dept that monitors issues with your website because I think this is outside your expertise, can you please give me a number to call?" That was the last communication or contact I had. The response from the child that was emailing me was silence. NICE. Don’t care if they send a personal chef to my house weekly and they kiss my ** daily. Stupidity is not acceptable, not rudeness is worst. They will never get a penny from me.

Original review: June 5, 2020

My friend wanted me to sign up and sent me a code for a free box. I was setting up my account and the website would freeze up whenever I was setting up my profile. I spent over an hour calling customer service twice. The second rep said he would stay on the phone with me until my account was set up but he did not because I was never able to set it up. Wasted an hour of my life on this terrible company.

Original review: May 20, 2020

We were thrilled to find a kosher meal services since there is not much to buy in our area. Unfortunately the problems are overwhelming and include: missing ingredients, missing steps in the recipe, unable to access the recipes, charged for a box that was never shipped, and the owner lying in emails instead of dealing with the problems. I received three meal packets yesterday. I could only download one of the three recipes. I emailed starting yesterday morning asking for access to the other two recipes. I got several emails indicating I would have them in about an hour. It is now a day letter and I am still trying to get those recipes. In the beginning I was willing to blame everything on the pandemic and an increase in customers. That still doesn't excuse lying and ignoring emails.

Original review: April 15, 2020

My husband, son and I are very sick after I made, for the first time, a meal that we had delivered that morning from Home Chef. It was the pork and cauliflower. I only ate one bite of the pork, so I thought it couldn't be that as we are all sick. But the cauliflower. I can't tell if it was the sour cream that had gone bad, the cheddar cheese or something else, but the minute I ate a very large portion of the cauliflower I felt sick. I am guessing it was the cheddar cheese. It just seemed off. I don't think spice can get you this sick.

Everything was packaged beautifully when we received it. The meats/seafood were in a separate bag and each dish came with its vegetables and serving packets of items all together. However, no one, and I mean no one, trusts this food any longer. It doesn't feel as bad as food poisoning I've had in the past with chicken that wasn't cooked enough. There I was retching and almost went to the hospital. So I really don't think it was the meat.

When I called Home Chef they were glad I contacted them and asked a lot of questions and are looking into to it. I don't want anyone else to get sick, and I can tell they don't either. I purchased this through Groupon, however, and was not happy with their response when I asked for a refund. All they could offer was a credit. That's not good enough. I don't want to spend any more on Groupon than I have to and credits just don't cut it when three people are very sick. So for Home Chef there are two stars because even though the food was bad, they are doing something about it. Can I give zero stars to Groupon?

Home Chef author review by ConsumerAffairs

Based in Chicago, Home Chef sends fresh ingredients and recipes to customers each week for them to cook their own meals. The company's algorithm suggests meals for you based on your "taste profile," which details what you do and don’t like to eat.

• Easy subscription: Home Chef is a subscription service, meaning that each week new meals are automatically shipped to the customer unless they opt out.

• Various size options: Customers can select box sizes for two, four or six people for perfect portions.

• Gift meals: Meals can be sent as gifts to friends and family.

• Gourmet menu: Their menu options are unique and provide gourmet meals that are easy to cook.

• Special diet options: They offer low-calorie, gluten-free, soy-free and other restricted-diet options.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team