2. Shopping
  3. Meal Delivery Service

3.4/5 (549 ratings)

About Home Chef

Home Chef Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Chef?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Chef?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

Our friends, one who is a nurse & works 16 hr shifts, were so impressed with Home Chef that they referred us. My husband and I needed a quick and easy way to make delicious and nutritious meals at a reasonable price. When I started treatment for Leukemia/Lymphoma, I didn't have the energy to cook..let alone shop. Ordering out not only stretched our wallets but also our waistbands AND I wasn't getting the nutrients my body needed. Home Chef solved a lot of our problems. The food is nutritious and delicious and costs less than ordering out or eating out. There is an impressive variety of meals from quick & easy to Culinary Cuisine. The meals start at $8.99 per person (1 serving per USDA guidelines). My husband and I are both satisfied with the portion sizes. (No stretch waistbands needed). The ingredients are premeasured and individually packaged for each MEAL.(for 2 people = 2 portions).

The vegetables and herbs are crisp and fresh and the steaks, etc are surprisingly good quality...especially for the price. The recipe cards give step-by-step instructions. We now enjoy cooking together. When need be, my husband, who is just learning to cook, can make the meals by himself. (**they offer meals from Easy to Culinary skill levels). We're learning new techniques and trying new ingredients and are enjoying every minute of it. We really are impressed with the sophisticated taste of these Chef-inspired meals. Nutritionist and Oncologist are both pleased that we are eating healthier and it reflects in our health.

Our friends have not had any shipping issues. We just ordered our 4th week of meals and found Customer Service to be very responsive and quite helpful. We needed help when placing our 1st order since we didn't know how to edit the 'recommended' meals. We learned that's what the edit button is for. Lol. We are just happy to be spending quality time together because Life's too short. Thank you Home Chef for making our life a little easier. P.S. If Fed-ex isn't fulfilling your needs, there's other delivery options out there.

Original review: July 4, 2021

I'd like to first address others poor reviews of others regarding delivery of Home Chef. Once a meal box has shipped via FedEx, it is outside of Home Chef's control. Over the years I have received maybe two boxes that were not safe to consume because of FedEx shipping delays. In both instances, HC responded quickly and resolved the issue to my satisfaction. Rarely, an ingredient wasn't in the box, or produce wasn't up to my standards. Again, in every instance Home Chef has made it right, generally with a credit to my account. Even when I've had questions, they have always responded in less than 24 hours. I've never felt I needed to justify any situation with any meal box.

To the reviewer complaining about small portions, comparing it to McDonald's portions...REALLY???? First of all, McDonald's does not qualify as nutritional food, and second, some people obviously are not aware of appropriate portioning of food, according to USDA guidelines. You get way more nutrition from a Home Chef meal than fast food.

It is apparent that some reviewers are challenged by math. Home Chef meals are $9.95 each, with the Culinary menu items costing more, salads and extras costing less. To get the free weekly shipping you must order a minimum of three entrees (x 2), which is $59.70 per week cost for three meals for two. If you are affiliated in any way as a first responder, critical care, or military, Home Chef offers a PERMANENT 10% discount.

To the person who gave HC four stars because they forgot ONE recipe card and refused to read the recipe from a device, and didn't want to put a piece of notebook paper in their Home Chef recipe binder...Did you think of printing out the recipe in full color from the website and using a three-hole punch to add it to your binder? *eyes rolling*

Home Chef service has consistent quality ingredients, convenient portioning in the meal bags, and good recipe directions. I have "paused" my subscription three times over the past five years, and not once has Home Chef sent me a single marketing (or otherwise) email during those times. I can't think of a single other business that would do that.

Recently I reactivated my subscription and was pleasantly surprised that the cost of each meal had not increased. I like that Home Chef offers quick prep and expert level dishes, as well as "grill ready" selections. During the summer the less time I spend cooking the better! I compared the overall cost, permanent discount, number of entree choices, options for protein substitutes (and the availability of plant-based proteins), and shipping costs between Home Chef and nine other meal delivery services. Home Chef (again) won out on all fronts.

Suggestions for Home Chef: I miss the five minute prep time large salads with protein choices, though I do see them offered sporadically. I would love it if I could order meals in singles because sometimes there's only one person for dinner or, as in our case, I am a pescatarian and my partner is not. If the oh-so-nice (and clearly labeled) Home Chef meal bags were done as single meals (a pain initially to implement, but cost effective once in place) I would probably order more meals per week, and would not have to skip weeks when there's only one of us for dinner.

Get buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

The food is very good quality ingredients. The recipes are delicious and easy to prepare. I am an experienced cook and enjoy having all the necessary ingredients pre measured and ready to go. The cards are nicely laminated however there have been many times they were placed in the box in a way they get bent. The one time the card wasn't in the box at all is the reason I can't give 5 stars. I called customer service and was told they can't mail me a replacement card. I can print it out but that isn't what I want to do. Notebook paper isn't what I want added to my binder and I hate using my phone to follow a recipe. Other than that they're a great company.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

To start with top notch ingredients all around. At first it seems like too many steps but the final outcome ????. I've had guests comment that they would pay for Home Chef's meal in a restaurant!??? I have learned l lot thru HC and now cook with care and flare!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

This is the 5th service I've tried and found this to be the best one for the super busy person. Most services toss all ingredients for all the meals together into a box. They then have to be separated per meal. Home Chef separates each meal kit into its own well marked clear bag making it super fast to grab your ingredients in one shot. The menu offers different meals with different levels of preparation needs. You can chose meals from culinary meals with more prep, 15 minute meal prep, to no prep at all and the meal in its own prepared pan. The food quantity is also fully sufficient, where some plans I tried had very small portions.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

Do NOT order from this company. They charged my card without authorization and the deliver is always late and consequently warm or spoiled. I contacted customer service and was brushed off for days. I chatted with multiple people and they disconnected the chat. I called the customer service line. Waited on hold for over 10 mins and was hung up on. The the supervisor sent me a threatening email. They completely deleted my account so I have no access to contact them.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

I really wish I could give this company 5 stars, but out of the 5 weeks I received food, I had problems with the boxes all but once. The meat was bad in 3 boxes, had a recipe card missing twice, had missing ingredients and random extra ingredients in each bag. When they were good, I was so pleased. The recipes were easy to follow and barely took any time. I just wish the quality was better.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2021

I started this service because I thought it would be fun and I could maybe get some ideas for food that I wouldn’t normally have tried. I got the box and was impressed by the packaging. I later realized that’s probably what I was actually paying for. I got some chicken with brussels sprouts. The seasoning was a Korean pepper paste and an Italian dressing. Yeah, those two things don’t go together. I had to make some rice and a salad because it definitely wasn’t enough food for 4 servings. The next meal was salmon and green beans. Enough said! Here’s the thing. If you don’t know how to cook and you think salt and pepper are the only real spices you need then, this may be perfect for you. If you are able to go to the store, buy food, chop it up and season properly then you’re 100x better than any Home Chef meal you could ever get. I immediately cancelled my service. What a waste of money! But at least I tried it and will never do anything like this again.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

For two weeks in a row, this company took it upon itself to order meals for me and charged my account $60 without my knowledge. This never happened prior to these past two weeks. I called and complained and removed my account. How are they allowed to do this?

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

Here is my objective review. The food is good, high quality and it's a fun experience. It can be a bit pricey considering each serving being $8.99, but if you're a busy person or looking to expand your palette, this is a good way to do it. For this I would be giving them 4 stars. The reason why I'm giving a 1 star is because there is some trickiness going on. I paused my account due to travel. According from their FAQ, pausing the account is the same as cancelling. To receive future orders, you have to Reactivate.

I decided to Pause the account and promptly received the email with the subject line: "We'll see you soon. Your account has been paused". I didn't even think to open the email because in the coming weeks, I started to get charged $100 per a box. I went back to that same email and realized the SUBJECT and BODY of the email said 2 completely different things. The body said: "We'll see you soon. Your account has been set to reactivate". How tricky!

I called Customer service and kept telling them I'd be willing to share my screen or send them an email to show them this glitch/miscommunication. They didn't want to see it and they had no explanation for it. I wanted a full refund but they were only able to give me 50% refund on food I would never be able to enjoy. As of now, I might have 2 boxes of rotting food at my door and still paying 50% for them = $100. THEY DO NOT GIVE FULL REFUNDS. Beware! If you want to pause, call Customer service to ask them for a DATA DELETION form where your account is completely deleted. Signing up again might take time, but it could potentially save you money and help reduce food waste.

Home Chef author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Based in Chicago, Home Chef sends fresh ingredients and recipes to customers each week for them to cook their own meals. The company's algorithm suggests meals for you based on your "taste profile," which details what you do and don’t like to eat.

• Easy subscription: Home Chef is a subscription service, meaning that each week new meals are automatically shipped to the customer unless they opt out.

• Various size options: Customers can select box sizes for two, four or six people for perfect portions.

• Gift meals: Meals can be sent as gifts to friends and family.

• Gourmet menu: Their menu options are unique and provide gourmet meals that are easy to cook.

• Special diet options: They offer low-calorie, gluten-free, soy-free and other restricted-diet options.

Home Chef Company Information