2.73/5
Based on 41 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 18, 2018

41 Home Chef Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 18, 2018

To add on to the comment regarding the switch to OnTrac, I live in a fairly new housing development and received deliveries several days late with rancid, warm food on three different orders because the driver “couldn’t find my address”. Even provided very specific additional shipping instructions and still had the same problem. As for Home Chef, they are impossible to get a hold of, never respond to email, and just told me, without an apology, that since my development doesn’t show up on google maps, they are unable to deliver to my location at this time.

This company spends all its resources on marketing and then is unable to keep up with the customer service demand. If you live in a new housing development, forget it. If you are going to have any issues where you need to contact customer service, forget it. I’m so disappointed in the way I have been treated by them. At the very least, they could have offered to contact their shipping vendor to try and resolve the issue, I felt like they were just trying to get rid of me so they could move on to deal with the next complaint.

Original review: May 10, 2018

I’ve had a positive experience with Home Chef. Food arrives very well packed. Vegetables have been very fresh and great quality. Portions are generous. No complaints about the food or service. I just wish I could order less and not incur a delivery charge. I end up canceling certain weeks instead of ordering less meals. But overall, a very positive experience.

Get expert buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I literally spent a couple hours trying to figure out how to delete this last week... and of course they still charged me. So I called and the lady was like... "So sorry you're out of luck!!!" I didn't order any food. So apparently they are just sending random food to my house... going to bank to dispute and BBB to complain and everywhere else I can.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I have read several comments about other's dissatisfaction with Home Chef. However, my experience with Home Chef has been nothing short of AMAZING! It does everything it was designed to do. Yes, it IS a subscription, but if you decide that for a particular week or weeks that you prefer not to have meals delivered, all you have to do is GO ON THEIR WEBSITE (and yes they actually have one) and SKIP that week or that month, etc.

You need to understand that in order to skip and NOT be charged, you need to skip by Thursday of the week for the next week. For example, you want to skip the week of May 7th. You should then choose to skip that week by Thursday, May 3rd. If you do this you WILL NOT be charged. Home Chef also offers a variety of meals that you ARE able to change if you choose to. Again, this option is available to every Home Chef customer via their website. You are not ever forced to just accept what they send you. They give you plenty of other options to choose from.

In the few months that I have been a Home Chef customer, I have seen nothing but benefits their program. Using Home Chef, I have saved more money than I did going to the grocery store or if my husband and I ate out. The food is delicious and healthy - everything you need to quickly prepare a tasty, healthy meal is provided.

Lastly, I also noticed that in the time that I have used Home Chef, I lost weight, which was a desired goal. The ONLY reason I stopped using Home Chef is because our stove needed repair. The oven no longer worked. However, my husband and I recently purchased another one and I already have another delivery scheduled for next week. I have Nothing but GREAT things to say about Home Chef and I would DEFINITELY recommend it to friends and family.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I have received 6 boxes of Home Chef's meal delivery service already, and I'm really pleased. Very impressed. All the meals have been really good too. With Home Chef I've tried so many different kinds of veggies and things that I would have never thought to and it's really exciting. I read a lot of the other reviews on here, and maybe that's their experience, but that is nothing like my experience with Home Chef, at all. The app is really easy to use and as long as you SAVE the changes that you make, then that is what you will get. Yes, this is a subscription, and honestly, you should know that if you're giving your payment information for something, right? So yes, it's coming weekly, regardless if you make meal choices or not. If you don't change the meals then they assume that is what you want. You have the option to skip weeks and cancelling is easy. There is a contact telephone number on the website. So, I fail to see what others are even referring to.

Home Chef has, by far, the most options out of any of the other meal delivery services... You can choose to have meat, seafood, vegetarian or a mix of all. You can choose low calorie (which I love!). You can choose other dietary options; gluten free, low carb, dairy free. You can choose your experience level; easy, intermediate or expert. Also choose your spiciness level. They give you at least 12 meals each week to pick from. You can add more meals each week, or take away and get less meals on certain weeks. You can skip weeks when you need to - EASILY. You have the option of adding smoothies, quick no cook lunch meals or fresh fruit! I mean COME ON. All those choices and options blow the competition away!

I gave other services a try and they fell flat, and I mean epic failures! i.e.; HelloFresh... OMFG they didn't get one single thing right! At least they did refund MOST of my money (OK, there's 1/2 a thing right!). With HelloFresh my box was short on the meat that was supposed to come with my meal options; I only received 2 meats for 4 meals, and 1 of those meats was for a meal I never chose which came with a bag of ingredients for another meal! So I was left with 4 bags of ingredients and 2 meats; 1 of which didn't even go with the ingredients I had! AND some of the ingredients were STILL missing from each of the bags. Plus Home Chef gives you everything you need (with the exception of oil, salt and pepper), they even provided butter and sugar. Whereas HelloFresh didn't provide any butter or sugar. Ugh, I could just go on and freaking on about the HelloFresh FAIL! So, would I recommend Home Chef? A resounding YES!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Chef?

Original review: April 18, 2018

Website does not have any contact info, no phone, no customer service. This is basically a scam. No way to contact anyone and cancel. I find the website meal selection area so confusing that it's not usable. Also, they charge your credit card immediately before you even select anything and work through the selection issues. There was no order number. It's like they want to hide and not provide any customer service. Another issue - no actual receipt for the credit card charge.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Their "customer service" is rude as hell. First, I would like to mention that at this point I had brought them TWO loyal customers who had been ordering with them for over a month and a half. I travel for work so my address changes every three months or so. I lived in Denver and was dating someone that lived three hours away. I had my order sent there so we could eat it over our weekend together. He then ordered one to the same address and they accused us of trying to make duplicate accounts. I told them what was really going on and would have showed proof (my rental/work contract) but they told me it was no big deal. My contract ended there and before my left, I emailed to let them know I would be changing my address for 2 weeks (as I was going to be home in between contracts).

I ordered a Home Chef there and then towards the end of my stay, my parents were intrigued by the concept. I signed them up under THEIR address (I was only staying there for two weeks...) and I got this REALLY nasty email about how they have previously warned me THREE??? times about creating double accounts. Uhmm...excuse me? The account was under my father, paid for by his card, at HIS address. I called to clear things up and the lady was a complete ** to me. She was cutting me off and raising her voice at me. I told her I completely understand the confusion but there is no need to be rude. Also, that I could provide proof of my address changing frequently. If that is how they treat a loyal customer who has brought them business, no thanks. Needless to say, I will never be ordering with them again. OH, and after all this they told me there was no way for them to delete/close my account...

Original review: April 17, 2018

Home Chef is a subscription service. That means if you don't order for a week, they will send you food anyway, with meals of their choice. They don't tell you that when you sign up. When I called in, they told me about the subscription thing. They did, I hope cancel my account, which I told them to do.

Original review: April 15, 2018

So I tried using this app twice now and every time and go in and choose my meals they, just send me whatever they want to send me. I contacted customer service and they were absolutely no help at all but after reading the reviews I’m not surprised. They really need to fix their app and customer service. I should not have to buy meals that I did not choose!!! Highly disappointed in Home Chef and I have not received my first box yet!!!

Original review: April 7, 2018

In my last (yes, this will be my LAST) shipment of Home Chef, the packaged ingredients for one of the recipes had blood in it. At first I thought perhaps the meat had dripped into the packaging, but that was not the case. Otherwise, I would not have touched it with my bare hands. Noticed there was also blood on one of the recipe cards. I sent an email to Home Chef customer support explaining what had happened, requested my money back and an explanation. They immediately credited my card, but did not say “we’re sorry and this is what happened.” Absolutely nothing. Not a “we take this seriously and are taking precautions to make sure this never happens again.” NOTHING.

I’ve added images and you can see the pepper is not fresh, certainly not something I would purchase in a grocery store if I were selecting my own veggies. Now I’m freaking out over what I could have possibly been exposed to from coming into contact with the blood. I hope this review is helpful to anyone thinking of going the Home Chef route or are currently a customer.

Original review: April 5, 2018

The company decided to change shipping companies and did not inform consumers. They wanted to cut costs and save money and decided to work with the shadiest shipping company. They decided to switch from FedEx to OnTrac. I have had OnTrac deliver in the past and it was an old man in a minivan, definitely not the way I want to receive my food. They decided to go cheap and my package was never delivered. It took 40 emails and 12 calls just to get a hold of someone. I got a refund and will never return as a customer.

This is absolutely the worst business decision I have ever encountered. You will lose many customers over your stupid decision to change shipping companies. I have already informed all of my friends and family and encouraged them all to close their accounts. I will also leave this review on every site I can find because of how horrible the customer service was. It should not take 40 emails and 12 calls to receive customer service. Absolutely ridiculous!

Original review: April 4, 2018

I tried this service out for the first time a few weeks ago. After placing my order I received a confirmation email with the expected delivery date. The food was okay and packaging was fine. There was a lot of work involved to prepare the meals. After I received my order and made a couple I went through and deleted my future orders. I hadn't received any other emails about future orders until a couple of weeks later. It advised me that I had a few days to cancel my order. I immediately went online and deleted it again. Then two days later I got another order at my door. This wasn't an order I even received an email for. I had no notice of it coming until 6 hours ago.

Confused, I called and spoke to one of their representatives. She said that I had indeed deleted my order but didn't choose the skip order option at the very bottom of the menu in a small test box in a light grey. She then said that since I deleted my order the menu defaulted based on my profile. There was nothing in the box I would want to eat. I explained why I was trying to cancel the orders and that I didn't like the food chosen for me. I asked if it was possible to return my order and she said no. This was 4 days of wasted food and money. I asked to have my account deleted and it was done. $80 now wasted and they could care less. They sent nothing confirming the order but they seem to think I'm at fault. They saw that I deleted the order so it's clear that I'm not trying to run some sort of food scam but they still don't care. This service is bogus. The site is hard to navigate to cancel the service or even call their "customer service ".

Original review: April 1, 2018

I've tried other meal delivery service, and this definitely is the weakest. Food arrived soggily & my ziplock bags came broken. Poor food quality is the least of your worries. The customer service is absolutely terrible. I paused my account and was still charged for an order. Customer service refuses to refund your orders, and they send one-sentence automated replies. They also don't allow you to remove your credit card from their website. I can safely assume my experience was not an isolated incident. All the reviews here have similar problems with lousy customer service. I do not recommend Home Chef. Stay away and use other meal delivery companies.

Original review: April 1, 2018

Zero quality control. Veggies came in mushy & didn't last long. Customer support doesn't care about your experience. Overall 0/5 if I could rate it 0 stars. Don't use this service, go to a different company.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I am on my 5th box with Home Chef - recipes are quick and easy to make - ingredients are always fresh. I have never had an issue with packaging (external or internal). I would tell others reading these reviews to keep in mind the Home Chef has zero control over what FedEx does with or treats your packaging. I have paused/skipped weeks and never been charged, and never received a box when I didn't request it. Even my mom - who is very picky about food and produce, was impressed by the quality of the food we received. My boyfriend and I always find the portions to be perfect - we've never had leftovers, but always feel full at the end of each meal. I suppose if you eat more food than one serving allows, you might be hungry, but this is perfect to keep portion control under control.

Original review: March 17, 2018

My review is a result of poor customer service. The meals were pretty good. However, we had new dietary needs and Home Chef could not meet those needs. Based off that I put it on pause on the website. The "pause" feature informs you at that time it will be permanent unless you change the setting. Despite this I was charged twice for meals. One was delivered and subsequently spoiled because I was not expecting a delivery. I had to call to get the service stopped! Why offer a "pause" button if you will send the food anyway! Furious. Never going back!

Original review: March 17, 2018

Got my first order and decided it would be fine to do a video review. As I excitedly started the first meal, I discovered they sent me moldy bread. I messaged Home Chef and asked them to cancel the service and refund my money. They did neither forcing me to ask again (no results) and then I had to contact my credit card company to dispute the charge.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I cannot rate their food as I've never tried it. I joined 3 weeks ago. My first order never arrived. Seems their software will take the order and process your credit card without having entered a delivery address. I was emailed by customer service and got that resolved. No problem. I mentioned to customer service that their app was confusing and difficult to order on. Next week: I order again and my order was sent I received a nice email with tracking info for FedEx. It showed my order left Chicago Monday at midnight. I was able to see it was put on a truck in Memphis at 3:48 a.m. and was scheduled for delivery by 8 p.m.

My order never arrived. Now I know it is packed with cold gel packs but exactly how long do they keep fish and ground meat at a safe temperature? According to customer service a whole extra day. Yeah I'm still waiting on delivery but I'm not going to eat it. I called customer service at 1 872 225 2433. The customer service rep cheerfully assured me the food would be OK to eat. When I insisted it was a nope and ask for a refund she informed me it would be 3 to 7 days but my order showed I had put it on pause. I had to ask her to specifically close my account and remove my email and credit card number. Big fat waste of time and money.

Original review: March 2, 2018

Loved the first two weeks, no trips to grocery store and the meal is easy to cook. The third week, my shipment did not arrive, instead, an email was sent to say that the delivery is a day late. By the end of the week, no shipment arrived. Checked the FedEx tracking only to find out it was never shipped but my credit card was charged. Apparently, they charge your credit card before shipment. I "Pause" the service because the website does not allow you to cancel. What a joke!!!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

Home Chef doesn't care about quality or their customers! Mushy cucumber and red pepper as well as wilted scallions. Extremely underripe tomato. Packets of slimy mayonnaise and florescent green relish?! Seriously?? I received tilapia totally defrosted in packaging that stated to keep frozen until ready to use. I was charged for the next week about a half hour before the deadline was for changing meals or suspending service. It was difficult to find a phone number, but when I did, the customer service representative didn't even care that I wanted my charges reversed (the only positive I found with this company) even after telling him how disappointed we were. I am letting all my friends and family know to NEVER deal with Home Chef!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

My first order was 2 meals for 2 people. I received no problem. Pretty good, but very small portions. I forgot to set my account with the next delivery and they automatically send me 7 meals for 2 people. There is no way I can eat all that food. I understand if they would have send 2 meals of their choice for 2 people, but 7 is absolutely abusive.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

Very good menu, chicken, and pork. Poor packaging and insulation. Biggest issue was freezer packs on top of the food that would leak and contaminate the food. Vegetables and herbs often damaged by poor packaging. Proteins often leak. Last straw was their offering of Thanksgiving sides and desserts that were to be delivered on Wednesday. Ordered them on Friday as is their practice and they shipped them on Tuesday for delivery on Friday without notifying us. Luckily I tracked the shipment and was able to go to the store to get the ingredients that were not going to arrive on time. Very unhelpful customer service. Did credit several ruined meals but do not seem to be improving their packaging, consistent delivery dates, and leaky freezer packs.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I like being able to order a full meal and have it delivered to my home and not having to go out for the ingredients and dealing with traffic or busy lines. So easy to order what I want from a great selection and boom there it is at my doorsteps. You can order anything from full meals to appetizers to ice cream or drinks, it's great for home delivery of food. You can order online or you can order straight from the truck using a booklet they carry with them. They run good deals often too. The price can get a little bit high but otherwise, it's great service to order from. I've ordered many many times and that's probably my only dislike and it's not that bad.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

Home Chef had good reviews and it is supposed to be healthy, and that is something I really needed because of my type 2 diabetes. It has helped me tremendously in my fight. I like that it gives me exactly what I need for each meal, it is very healthy (as opposed to what I was used to eating on a regular basis). I like that I don't have to go to a restaurant or a store. It would also be nice if it were a little bit cheaper and have more variety of the types of foods, or snack foods and foods that are more exotic. I also would like there to be more delivered at one time.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

Good variety of meals. It also had very good prices, it was enough to fill me up, it has fast shipping also, I used the free trial for the first meal. It was good but wish the size was bigger, have to buy two just to feed my family, some families do have more than 2 people in them, I have five. There is this site that you can order dinner, I ordered the steak way cheaper than in store, and so juicy, comes with a side and it is so filling, the price is really good too, if you go online you can find a coupon to try for free on your first order just pay shipping.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

Home Chef has all natural and healthy meals that looked appetizing to me. There were other services that provide the same nutritional value, but the meals were plainer or less adventurous for my tastes. So far all of the food has either met or exceeded my expectations in terms of taste and freshness. It also gives you the opportunity to learn how to cook for future meals. The main feature that I like about this service is that I do not have to think about what I am having for dinner. The meals come with everything that I need, including the directions which are usually pretty simple.

Lastly, the food that you get is well balanced with nutrients and all of it is fresh and natural foods that you feel good about eating. The only thing that I dislike about the service is that the meals get a little expensive over time. It is great if you want to do it for a couple of nights out of the week, but if you want most of your meals to come from the service, it is going to get expensive.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

I like the way how they manage their business. They really have a good briefing for their delivery men. I like the way the delivery man delivered our meal. He is polite, nice and kind. He explains well what kind of food he delivered to us. And it is still hot. It's over my expectations because he is so good how to handle their customers. That is the reason why that I am going to tell my friends about this food service.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

It fast and fresh and friendly service. You pick a meal you want and pay for it and it cook by a real chef and they cook real healthy meals that include meat like roast beef and all kind of vegetable. It perfect. Work great. I do not dislike it. It come in the mail fast in a box with instruction on how to cook and get everything ready it perfect for a on the go mom and easy to do. They had good food and I don't have to go to the store. It deliver right to our door. You just pick out which meal you want to try and real chef cook it and wrap it and send it.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

After researching the various companies this one was the cheapest, customer service was wonderful. Made it easy to skip a week if you needed to. Priced out the items in the box and compared them to a regular brick and mortar store and found that shopping with meal delivery services was cheaper. Box was in my mudroom ready to be used when I came home from work. They even allow you to choose how often and how many people you needed to feed or get. They even take into account people who may have various food allergies or are gluten-free or vegetarian.

If you have young children in the house this is a great way to get them into the kitchen and learning to enjoy cooking. Easy to understand recipes, quick service, takes the thinking out of creating a dinner for a family. Easy enough to do so that a family always on the go can quickly make and go. If I had one thing to change it would have to be the ability to choose other options for side dishes and not just the protein item.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I was looking for a food delivery company that I could rely on, and so I was referred by a friend to this company who had a positive experience with it in the past. They told me their customer service was excellent and the food was good. I was inspired by their experience so I then read the reviews on Yelp and it seemed to be a pretty reputable company, so I decided to give it a try.

The food was good and the customer service was excellent. I really enjoyed talking to the delivery driver and I found it very easy to order food. Very friendly business with great tasting food. I've ordered from businesses that were very subpar in those senses, so it's refreshing to have a positive experience for once. But delivery time was a little slow. The food wasn't as hot as it could have been. I understand that there are a lot of deliveries that need to go out and they have to cook and or get the food before they bring it to you, but there should be a way to keep it hotter longer. Like maybe use an insulated bag or something similar. I also found the service to be a little on the pricey side, but I guess it is to be expected when they bring the food to you.

Home Chef expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Based in Chicago, Home Chef sends fresh ingredients and recipes to customers each week for them to cook their own meals. The company's algorithm suggests meals for you based on your "taste profile," which details what you do and don’t like to eat.

• Easy subscription: Home Chef is a subscription service, meaning that each week new meals are automatically shipped to the customer unless they opt out.

• Various size options: Customers can select box sizes for two, four or six people for perfect portions.

• Gift meals: Meals can be sent as gifts to friends and family.

• Gourmet menu: Their menu options are unique and provide gourmet meals that are easy to cook.

• Special diet options: They offer low-calorie, gluten-free, soy-free and other restricted-diet options.

• Best for: Busy individuals and families, people looking to expand their cooking knowledge and people with dietary restrictions.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs