Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.95/5

Home Chef Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Chef?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Chef?

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

The food is very good quality ingredients. The recipes are delicious and easy to prepare. I am an experienced cook and enjoy having all the necessary ingredients pre measured and ready to go. The cards are nicely laminated however there have been many times they were placed in the box in a way they get bent. The one time the card wasn't in the box at all is the reason I can't give 5 stars. I called customer service and was told they can't mail me a replacement card. I can print it out but that isn't what I want to do. Notebook paper isn't what I want added to my binder and I hate using my phone to follow a recipe. Other than that they're a great company.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

This is the 5th service I've tried and found this to be the best one for the super busy person. Most services toss all ingredients for all the meals together into a box. They then have to be separated per meal. Home Chef separates each meal kit into its own well marked clear bag making it super fast to grab your ingredients in one shot. The menu offers different meals with different levels of preparation needs. You can chose meals from culinary meals with more prep, 15 minute meal prep, to no prep at all and the meal in its own prepared pan. The food quantity is also fully sufficient, where some plans I tried had very small portions.

Get buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 27, 2020

We have been subscribed for a few weeks now. Only one week the meals came a day late which was ok since we are only doing 3 a week. The recipes are easy to follow and quick to make which is ideal for our situation. Everything is fresh too and stays fresh all week. They pack it really well. Satisfied with this subscription!!

Original review: July 7, 2020

My friend Sindra is an empty nester that loves to cook. Although I eat servings enough for a party of three, she consistently cooks me amazing meals from Home Chef. I get to taste dishes from around the world on a daily basis, in the comfort of her home. These meals taste as if she has been cooking for days, when in reality it has been 45 minutes or less. The flavors are savory, sweet and everything in between...kind of like our friendship. Thank you Home Chef!

Original review: May 15, 2020

We have been using Home Chef since April 2017. We love the service and the food. We do not have delivery problems, as some have mentioned in earlier reviews. The food is fresh and there is a decent variety. We "default" to low carb meals but have the option of changing to any of the other meals offered that week. There are regular prep time (15-30 minutes) menus, quick prep versions, and some that even bake in a provided pan. I especially like that they added the customize option so we can change up the type or amount of protein if we choose to. Also, we have enjoyed being introduced to some new combinations and sauces we otherwise wouldn't have experienced. Please bear in mind that unsatisfied customers are much more likely to leave a review than a satisfied customer. I know there are many others out there like us, who really like Home Chef.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

Food never arrived. Home Chef said it did. Tracking number shows it was NOT delivered. 4 day old still in transit and they want me to pay for it. What a scam. These people are not to be trusted under any circumstances.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

Home Chef is at best a scam, when I discovered the sodium content of the meals I tried to cancel my order. No luck. If you have doubts, try to talk to a real person at Home Chef. There's no refunds here, meals are not ready to eat. If you have to cook the meal yourself, where is the convenience? There's not, and if you cook your own meal you can control the ingredients.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

I received a notification from Capital One after signing up for Home Chef. My email address and password for their account was shared on the dark web. I had to immediately change passwords and information shared. It is not secured.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

The meals are always tasty and of course the ingredients are fresh, the directions are simple and clear, customer service is fantastic! Our only complaint is w/ the carrier, they rarely deliver on schedule!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

Instructions to bake meals in provided tray which is plastic. 5 of 10 meals with substituted ingredients that I appear to be less expensive substitutes and you are told about the substitution on delivery day. Meals with missing ingredients. Canceled membership.

Home Chef author review by ConsumerAffairs

Based in Chicago, Home Chef sends fresh ingredients and recipes to customers each week for them to cook their own meals. The company's algorithm suggests meals for you based on your "taste profile," which details what you do and don’t like to eat.

• Easy subscription: Home Chef is a subscription service, meaning that each week new meals are automatically shipped to the customer unless they opt out.

• Various size options: Customers can select box sizes for two, four or six people for perfect portions.

• Gift meals: Meals can be sent as gifts to friends and family.

• Gourmet menu: Their menu options are unique and provide gourmet meals that are easy to cook.

• Special diet options: They offer low-calorie, gluten-free, soy-free and other restricted-diet options.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team