3.8/5 (5743 ratings)

About HelloFresh

HelloFresh states that its goal is to ensure every household has the opportunity to enjoy delicious and healthy food. The company has a variety of meal plans to choose from, and each plan includes ingredients that are locally sourced and delivered at a time convenient for their subscribers. Customers can manage their menus and deliveries through HelloFresh’s mobile app, and its customer care team is available to answer any questions.

Pros

• Flexible pricing
  • Can pause delivery
  • Four plan types
  • Easy cancellation

Cons

• Frequent use can get expensive
  • Limited allergy care

Bottom Line

HelloFresh focuses on delivering fresh, healthy food straight to your door. With a variety of recipes and plan types, there’s something to fit most anyone’s needs and tastes.

HelloFresh Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HelloFresh?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about HelloFresh US?

Original review: July 11, 2022

Never again will I order from Hello Fresh.. I've ordered over 7 boxes now and my last 2 deliveries never came. I got refunded for last weeks box and now this week they are all of a sudden sending me a fresh box because ups tried to deliver and it was damaged and they had to send it back (Lies). Their customer service is a joke. They tell you, "Don't worry. We will fix it," and then 20 reps later still not resolved and I either got hung up on or disconnected 6 times. And then I got lied to from the last rep.

My box arrived on Monday which I was supposed to receive Friday so it sat in a truck or in a hot warehouse all weekend. When you first opened the box the smell alone made you gag so bad. The meat was so hot it was bubbling in the bags. The veggies were all rotten. This is unacceptable and I will never order from hello fresh again. They give you credit after credit and then never take it and use it on your box... I had over $60 in credit from them messing up how many of my orders... I thought this was gonna be a good alternative to trying to figure out meals for my family and working long hours. Lesson learned. I guess...

Original review: July 9, 2022

I originally used HelloFresh because I had received 2 gift cards. Their app was very hard to navigate and I couldn't see how much of the order my gift card went toward and how much I had to pay. After receiving the second box with my second gift card, I didn't cancel my account. I was then notified that I'd be receiving a 3rd delivery that I didn't place. This would be coming out of my own money. Come to find out, if I don't cancel my account with HF, they continue to send boxes every week and charge me. Although there is probably something written in fine print somewhere, I find this VERY misleading. I only used HF because I received gift cards! It was too late for me to cancel the delivery but I was able to cancel my account. The service rep was helpful over the phone, the food is pretty good (although the veggies are a bit old) but the app was confusing and the continuous deliveries were "misleading". Needless to say, I will NOT be using HF again.

HelloFresh response

Hi David- We apologize for your disappointing experience with our Gift Cards. We appreciate your feedback so we can help make our service better. Please call 646-846-3663 or DM us on Facebook and our team will help to make this up to you. Thanks

Original review: July 6, 2022

The company is false advertising. They are sending cards out to consumers stating, we are to get 17 meals free with shipping. Nothing about a 50% discount first week or paying weekly. This company are liars.

HelloFresh response

We apologize that you had this experience. We try to be as transparent as possible regarding the free meals as they are spread over the 5 weeks of boxes. Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. We will be sure to share it with our marketing department team. Please call #646-846-3663 or DM us on Facebook so we can help make this up to you.

Original review: June 30, 2022

This is the absolute worst company I've ever come across. I signed up for a promotion that lasts 6 weeks. I received my first box on time with no issues. Unfortunately, I was charged for my second box but it never arrived. I reached out to this company via chat and was offered a credit at the END of my promotional (6 week) period. I respectfully declined. I had my third box paused as I was struggling financially and could no longer afford the service so I planned on cancelling.

After explaining this to the rep, he stated my options were to get the credit at the end of the six weeks or he can refund me now but it would cancel out my promotion. I told him to refund me now and cancel my entire subscription. He agreed, sent me the refund and assured me my account was cancelled. A week later, I get a new Hello Fresh charge to my account. I contacted customer service by chat three times. All three times they gave me unprofessional attitude, refused to help me and then disconnected the chat on me.

I then called in, and the exact same thing happened. I did not even get to choose my food items for the week because I was not expecting a box and now all the items selected for me were things my family and I won't eat. After many many times of expressing how devastated I was and informing them of my financial emergency right now, they still will not refund me the money to pay bills for myself and my three toddlers. These people are stingy, selfish and heartless and I will never EVER EVER recommend this company to a single person. I will be taking my concerns to the BBB and filing a dispute with my bank. This company is full of thieves. Be aware!

Original review: June 28, 2022

As about as close to scammers as you can get. Somebody bought us a gift card, they made a sign-up just to use it. It was gift card, not a promo code. Well, you can only use your gift card for basic stuff so twice when we ordered food, we had to pay the difference between the basic and the upgrades. Now, they just charged us $90 for a membership. A membership we never signed up for. All we were trying to do was just use the damn gift card. By the way, go out and eat at a restaurant instead. It's much cheaper and the food is better. When you see what you get for your money, you're going to laugh. You're going to start looking for another box cause certainly they must have missed something. Horrible horrible horrible!

Original review: June 22, 2022

I have used HF for five months, typically ordering 3-4 meals, 4 servings each, weekly. While there is an occasional less than fresh vegetable and one or time times packing was a big slipshod, overall I am quite happy with the recipe selection and preparation guidance. If I were rating just on that, I would give HF a 4.5 stars.

Sadly, there is more to the issue: Several weeks ago I received "shipping soon" notice for my typical Wednesday delivery. However, no actual shipping notice, no box. The chat feature only works for very minor questions that could be easily answered by reading the website. It is not a "person" chat... just a bot. So, I called. Over two days I spent hours on the phone. I was told it would come later Wednesday evening. I was told "ingredient shortage" and it would soon be on its way. I was skeptical since tracking certainly didn't reflect that optimistic assurance. Thursday, no box, no shipping notice, no food for Thursday evening. Then I was told "don't know why they told you ingredient shortage." The box was complete and with the shipper. So, should I buy for just Thursday night and hope HF would come through? Buy for several days? Who knows? Asked to speak to supervisor.

They were "not available as working remotely." I was told they'd call back within 24-28 hours (which is it?). They left a VM saying THIS "If you need anything else, please call **," giving the standard CS number. Well, yes, I needed something... so I call again and go through same (getting longer) story of my woes. No help at all. Sorry. Now they say "you won't get the box." That happened on Monday. That was four days after I'd grocery shopped three times, thinking surely the HF would get delivered since they had promised it would.

So, last week my box came a day early. I could be glad it at least came, but unfortunately that meant that I ended up short for the week ahead. AND THEN again Tuesday, only a "shipping soon" notice with no "shipped" notice. So, today tracking shows no shipment and I have no box. Talked to CS. They were hard to understand, moderately rude, and specifically unconcerned and unhelpful;. I asked to talk with supervisor. On hold long time. Came back and said that supervisor busy but would call me back within ten minutes. That was four hours ago. Called again just now. This person, Paul, promised my box would be delivered by 8 PM TODAY. Excuse my cynicism but that was what I was told with the last non-delivery.

I'm overly angry and tired of this horrid CS. I am ready to stop by subscription. This is intended to be a convenience that I'm paying top dollar to receive. HF blames the shipper. I have a suggestion: Fix that issue. I live less than 40 minutes from where the boxes originate. Quit. Blaming the shipper. YOU, HF, decide WHICH shipper to use. It's your reputation on the line, not the shipper's. When I don't get what I paid for... well, it's my own stupidity if I stick with it. So. HF: Tonight by 8 pm or it's so long. Too bad, too... because it's a great idea. In theory. PS: I guess I really should snap a pix of my empty front porch WITHOUT any new HF box!

Original review: June 19, 2022

Beware of when you try to cancel on the website or app. There is no way to do so on both. I've tried canceling on either platform but there is literally no buttons or easy way to cancel your subscription unless you chat or call customer service. Other competitors make it easy and hassle-free to cancel, not HelloFresh. It's almost like they make it difficult and inconvenient to cancel so that they can keep charging you. If you want to try and easily cancel a service, this is not the company to do so.

Original review: June 19, 2022

Did not receive my order from HelloFresh. They make up excuses but take the money out of your bank account and it takes about 5 to 10 business days for refund. Not pleased with this company. Will not recommend nobody to order. Bad service.

Original review: June 8, 2022

I want to start by saying I do not leave bad reviews. If I have an issue I give the company a chance to resolve it then move on. I have paid for 60+ weekly meals as a customer at around $85 dollars each so you can say we are loyal customers up till now. I received a meal that was supposed to be a chicken and rice bowl, I go to cook this with the recipe card, take out the chicken then open the ingredients bag to find they sent me pork taco ingredients. This is super inconvenient as I now had to scramble for a meal (ended up ordering out) for my family.

I contacted customer service and at first they wanted to credit me $15 not even half of what I paid for the meal. After half an hour on their chat they finally decided to credit me the full meal (not the box). I repeatedly told them how inconvenient this was and they basically said take it or leave it. I left it and I hope anyone seeing thinking about joining sees this review and thinks again. They are either too big to care about their long term customers or really don't care. I will be trying Home Chef or Blue Apron, thanks for nothing Hello Fresh.

Original review: June 7, 2022

Company keeps sending me promotional emails saying I can get 16 or 17 meals free. Then they tell you that they give you a gradually decreasing discount on each box they send. It doesn’t amounts to half of the free meals they claim. I spent several phone calls trying to understand what they were doing and finally decided I didn’t want it. The next thing I know is I have a box delivered to my door containing meals I would never have chosen. I called customer service, and they said they would cancel my subscription. In order to get a refund for something I didn’t want or order, they said I would have to dispute the charge with my bank.

The support person said he would escalate the issue and then came back on the phone to tell me he had done so, and the answer was still the same: I would have to dispute the charge with my bank. I haven’t tried to do that, but I can’t imagine that the bank will give me back my money for several months. I am furious. I quit ordering after an initial subscription for several reasons. There is a lot of packing material to dispose of. The quality of the ingredients was spotty. I found that their green beans, for example, were inedible. Guess what is in one of the meals they just sent—green beans.

Original review: May 28, 2022

Wish I could provide minus stars because they do NOT deserve 1 star! May 20, 2022 HelloFresh notified me I would be skipped for May 28, 2022 delivery. May 21, 2022 I did NOT receive my delivery from May 16 order. I called in and requested a cancellation with my monies returned. I also requested to be removed from their site. May 23, 2022 Received a credit back on my bank statement. May 24, 2022 HelloFresh recharged my bank account without my approval which is a fradulant act. May 28, 2022 received a HelloFresh notice that my order will be delayed 48 hours. They are closed for the date of delivery.

I do not have time for people who cannot handle their business professionally and fail to honor requests to be deleted from their site. And fail in their distribution so miserably. Well, not I have to make a trip to my bank to make a fraud complaint and cancel my credit card because HelloFresh cannot take action on simple tasks. And then onto the Police to file a complaint. It's too bad because I like the product a lot but I cannot trust HelloFresh.

Original review: May 23, 2022

Several years ago, used the food delivery service from Hello Fresh and cancelled when my summer schedule became too busy. On Saturday May 14th, I was interested in starting it up again and went to their website. I discovered I was unable to view any current meal options (even after logging in) unless I reactivated my account. I assumed I would be allowed to view the meals and decide what I wanted to do. First, I discovered they signed me up for 4 people when before I only had 2. I fixed that online.

Then I received a welcome back email from Hello Fresh at 3:04 PM that same Saturday afternoon. I was not presented with an option to choose my delivery date. They picked a delivery date of Thursday May 19th and clearly indicated that date in their email in CAPS, colored text and large type. Below that, they have a section titled "Want to change your menu?" and inside that paragraph in normal type and spelled out, they indicate I have five days prior to my scheduled delivery date to make changes. They didn't make it clear my last day to modify was that night at Midnight. I feel their selection of a delivery date, short notice of my ability to change my selection (less than 9 hours), and failure to clearly notify me of said deadline demonstrates deceptive business practice designed to force a transaction.

When I noticed a pending transaction on Sunday the 15th, I called to tell them I didn't want it and was still shopping. They said they can no longer cancel my order even though it had not shipped. I told them I didn't feel I should have to pay for this order as I had not yet selected the items I wanted. They said they could not do that. I said I wanted to cancel my subscription and had assumed they had, but today noticed another pending transaction with them today. I called again and was told they cannot cancel my order and refused to refund my money. I made sure my account was cancelled.

Original review: May 21, 2022

Have had great meals through this service, I just hope they can offer a flat rate at some point that is healthy enough to be offered through Medicare. That would be a greater relief than anything previously attempted.

Original review: May 21, 2022

Spoke to them twice. They said they would adjust menus but did not. Last Rep told me they essentially had minimal fish. I Checked several menus and that was my experience and to select some of the fish you had to select a premium menu ~ $14 or so.

Original review: May 20, 2022

I used to have a HELLO FRESH account. I went back to the site one day just to see if there was anything new and they reactivated my account and things I had been looking at were shipped to me. I was not aware that I had chosen them or that they were to be shipped. I saw them on my credit card and called immediately but they would not give me a refund and the shipment came a couple days later. Sneaky way to trick people. I cancelled my account.

Original review: May 20, 2022

I got a HelloFresh gift card for Christmas and was excited to try it out. I wish I never had. Since March, I’ve been fraudulently charged 3 times from this company. The first time it happened, despite the fact that I had cancelled my subscription, I assumed it was my mistake since I had pushed out my delivery date instead of cancelling initially because the app does not have any option to cancel and I didn’t have access to a web browser at the time while I was traveling. When I got home, I cancelled my subscription. Flash forward a month, I get a charge for $70. I contact customer service to see what this is about since my subscription was supposed to be canceled, and they tell me it was because I pushed out the delivery time and it was too late to cancel the order.

I would have been OK with this and perceived it as my mistake, but my family is gluten free and because of HelloFresh’s lack of any concern for allergens, all of the meals I was receiving contained wheat. I explained my situation, they gave me a “half” refund ($25), and I asked the customer service rep to please ensure my subscription was cancelled and that this would not happen again because I do not have the budget for this extremely overpriced meal kit and would have never started a subscription without the gift card. He confirms it will be cancelled and I will not receive a box in the future.

Flash forward another month, I get another charge on my card for $70. This overdrafted my account so I was immediately aware of the charge and contacted support the same day. The customer service rep told me they couldn’t refund me since it was “out of the cancellation window” - despite the charge coming through overnight that night. After explaining my situation and how I should not have an active subscription, the customer service rep refunded me the full amount and was able to cancel the box from arriving, which I was incredibly grateful for because, once again, HelloFresh has NO filtering capabilities for allergens and is absolutely not allergen friendly so I would have needed to throw away the box.

Again, I asked the customer service rep to PLEASE make sure my subscription is cancelled because, again, I have cancelled it once on my own, and once with a customer service rep at this point, and I should not have an active subscription. Flash forward, AGAIN, to a month later, this past Tuesday, when I receive ANOTHER $70 CHARGE. I call support this time instead of using the chat function and spend a half hour arguing with the customer service rep who is telling me I can’t be refunded since it’s out of the cancellation window (despite the fact that I should not have had an active subscription for the past 3 times this has happened). I explain my entire situation, ask her to pull the chat logs where I asked for my subscription to be cancelled which I’m told “they have no access to”.

After quite a bit of back and forth, she tells me she will have her supervisor call me later that day. I ask for a timeframe when I’d be receiving the call and she tells me between 1-2pm. I confirm the timezone is my timezone. At 3pm, I haven’t received a call and call their customer service line again. Again, explain my situation, they tell me they won’t refund me, and I tell them how I was told I would get a supervisor call by 2pm that day. He tells me that supervisor calls can take 24-48 hours. This wasn’t going to work for me because this charge had again overdrafted my account and I had been told specifically that I would receive a call by 2pm that day in my timezone. I figure they were pushing back the supervisor call until a day or two before the delivery was supposed to happen so that they could claim they couldn’t refund it at that point.

24 hours go by and I decide to file a dispute with the BBB. Once is my mistake, twice is an accident, but three times is a scam. The BBB got me my refund in 2 days - I never received a call back from HelloFresh. I can’t remove my payment information without officially reactivating my subscription. I’ll have to cancel my debit card and get a new one just to ensure they don’t try to scam me again. DO NOT PURCHASE THIS PRODUCT. Also, the few boxes I’ve received has missing products or leaking meat packages.

Original review: May 14, 2022

Besides frustrating interaction with company food options, it seems the company is using my personal info to solicit new customers and incentivize with $100 coupon. Customer service chat is horrible; Philippine call center is worse!

Original review: May 12, 2022

I tried to reactivate my subscription and placed the meals that I wanted to order in my cart. The website asked me to update my expired credit card. I tried to update to the new card numerous times but the website always displayed an error that it could not process credit cards and update the information. I went to a different meal service which did not have technical issues.

Now I received an email stating preselected meals were sent out to me and charged me. I called customer service and they said it was my fault because I re-activated my account. I told them the website said it was not processed because payment would not go through. And if it went through why did it not send me what I was trying to order? I cannot eat what they are sending and they will not credit me back even though it was an error on their end. I can’t believe they are blaming me for their technical website issues!

Original review: May 12, 2022

Got something in the mail regarding free meals. Went onto the website and the promo code does not work. This is a company based out of Germany. They should be ashamed of themselves for Germans are known for good quality food. I will be calling the Manhattan corporate office to have a word with them.

Original review: May 11, 2022

I have been ordering for almost a year. I have received missing ingredients or bad ones. Chicken strips are scrap meat. Chicken breasts are not at all. I have received leaking meat packages and ruined meal list from cross contamination. I did get a credit but it was not as much as me replacing ingredients at store. They actually should have refunded full amount. I will say the customer service most of the time is what keeps me with them.

They need to pick up the quality of meat and quality assurance for being one of the higher priced services! I always ask the agent for their email and send pictures. I am always locked from using the self reporting tool due to many problems with many boxes. They boxes are in transit for 3 days prior to receiving and sometimes the ice packs are not hard at all upon receiving. The meals are $7.99 then the next meal is $7.49 per serving. Just to clarify. The menu for take out favorites and crafted burgers are higher priced and the gourmet meals are $8.99-9.99 per serving.

Original review: May 10, 2022

Second time we tried HelloFresh. Like the first time, it went well for the first few shipments. Also like the first time, shipments started showing up damaged. Delivered by "couriers" in their personal cars. Also like the first time, they missed a shipment altogether. UNLIKE the first time, this time they shipped another box, to arrive later in the week when we already had other plans. This in spite of the fact that we already chatted with an agent and made it clear we didn't want that week's shipment. Ultimately HelloFresh refused to credit us for the late shipped box, and we just had to toss it as we were leaving on a trip when it arrived and didn't want to save it (if you don't know this, there is no packaging for the fresh ingredients, they are just thrown in a brown paper bag). Terrible, "have it our way" service, and their delivery batting average is somewhere around 500 - not good enough for a fresh meal delivery service.

Original review: May 4, 2022

They either don’t deliver at all or send boxes of rotten food days later!! Customer service is a joke! They keep you on hold for hours and then you get disconnected and have to start all over!! Food is good if they can actually manage to get it to you.

Original review: May 4, 2022

I expected to be more overwhelmed cooking these restaurant-quality meals, but surprisingly I've been pulling it off really well! The recipe cards give step-by-step directions that are easy to follow. Granted there have been times I misread them and messed up, but thankfully it had little effect on the outcome of the meal. However, it takes me triple the amount of time to make the recipes because I'm severely limited on space, so I'm constantly seeking counter space to mix or set something, not to mention, I don't always have quality tools for the job which would really speed things up!

Of the dozen meals we've tried so far, there have been a couple times I had to toss a produce item because it was no good, but on the bright side, the meals turned out wonderfully anyway and their produce overall is pretty exceptional. I've learned that shallots (something I've never bought or used before) are used frequently and are delightful types of onion and excellent when minced (or chopped & smashed if you don't have a mincer) and added to sauces.

So far we've tried meals with ground beef, ground pork, beef tenderloins, shrimp, scallops and chicken both ground and fileted. Only one tenderloin was a little tough, but every other meat & seafood was top-notch! Next time if a tenderloin feels tough, I'll try meat tenderizer on it beforehand. The sauces I've learned to make have been delectable, and I'm SO GLAD they send ingredients for them so I'm not buying large quantities to eventually toss out. If we really love something, we can always buy larger quantities of it for another time.

I definitely recommend having things commonly used on hand like salt, pepper, sugar, butter, sour cream, a garlic press, and so on. We're super happy to be a part of Hello Fresh, because I've learned a tremendous amount of kitchen skills and haven't had to throw away an inedible meal yet! If you knew me, you'd know that was tragically commonplace in our home prior to joining Hello Fresh! So, naturally we're saving money & eating better too! I literally can't stop telling people about how amazing I am in the kitchen now thanks to Hello Fresh!!!!

Original review: May 1, 2022

They take my money and didn’t send my food and then tell me it will at least a 10 days or more before I get it back. NO!!! That is totally unacceptable. They take my money without any issue but can’t deliver my food!!!!

Original review: April 28, 2022

Horrible company! I just canceled my subscription. I was able to tolerate the occasional missing items, or the occasional spoiled produce, but they crossed the line with bad customer service. Last week I reported to Hello Fresh that my entire $50 box was delivered warm due to the Easter Holiday. My order sat in delivery for 1 full extra day and by the time it was delivered to me, all the contents were spoiled. Hello Fresh’s response to this was to give me a $10 credit on the box I spent $50 on. I challenged that because I felt as if I should just get a replacement box. So, they offered me a $15 credit instead. Insulting!

After placing my next order, I noticed my credit was not applied. Come to find out that they won’t let me use the credit until my 52-week 15% discount ends. I’m a little over 4 months of ordering Hello Fresh every week, so I have 35 deliveries until I can use that credit. I spend $50 a box so that means I would need to spend $1,776 to be able to use my insulting $15 credit for a fully damaged box that was delivered to my home. It is clear that this company is not customer centered and when something goes wrong, they will not make it right.

Original review: April 26, 2022

To say I am aggravated with Hello Fresh is a gross understatement. I had tried a box with them close to a year ago. It was ok, but I felt that it just wasn't a service I would want to continue. Fast forward to this week. I am out of town for a month and staying in an extended stay hotel with a kitchenette. I received one of their emails and thought it might be convenient to start again. However, all I did was open the email and started looking at the menu options they had available. I did not submit nor did I complete an order.

I woke up this morning to find that they had debited $50 from my account. Upon calling, the representative says he is sorry but he will try to see if it could be refunded. Once he did cancel, he informed me that my monthly subscription would then continue starting in May. I had to make it clear that I DID NOT want it to continue and to cancel my subscription. On top of this all, he informed me that my $50 would take 5-10 business days to process. I am just starting a new job and waiting for my first paycheck. This has put me in a terrible bind. Luckily, there was enough in my account to cover it.

Original review: April 18, 2022

I called Hello Fresh to address an issue that I had with my delivery. I put a skip on the week, but for some reason when I called in, the rep advised me that I did not skip the week and that's why my box was delivered. After advising the rep that I was going to cancel, my account was swiftly cancelled in seconds without any empathy or steps to retain me as a customer. This is very disappointing since I have been their customer for over a year and was expecting the rep to at least acknowledge my frustrations and try to resolve it to the customer's satisfaction, however he was quick to have me cancel my subscription and now I have no intentions of ever signing up with this company again. I am also out $80 and have no way of collecting my box as I am out of town.

Original review: April 17, 2022

I did not get my first box. And it took me 2 hours to get refunded. Also, they told me I no longer get the first-time discount which was 51% off, and free shipping because I used the discount already for the first box. I told them it is totally unfair I lost my discount even though it was not my fault just because their system does not accept the discount code. Their system has no flexibility to give customers fair services. What a waste of time. I want them to give me back my time.

Original review: April 17, 2022

Ironically I found the food from Hello Fresh anything but fresh. Rubbery carrots and old potatoes. Changes and cancellations must be made many days ahead, inflexible policies, you will only get a credit if anything goes wrong. I found the app problematic, changes wouldn't save and I couldn't easily find what I needed. I'd rather go the farmer's market and source my own recipes now.

Original review: April 12, 2022

We received a $140 gift certificate. The company only 'discounts' your account for $130 credit. (??) The food is very good - great quality & interesting menus. However --- the website was pretty misleading. We were charged an additional $8.99 per meal (each) for their 'premium' selections... plus $1.99 for each protein selection. We thought we were signing up for only the amount of the gift card. We were charged an additional $160 beyond what we authorized. When we complained - we were brushed off. Is this a scam? We do not recommend this company.

HelloFresh Company Information