Learn More

3.8/5 (5680 ratings)

About HelloFresh

HelloFresh states that its goal is to ensure every household has the opportunity to enjoy delicious and healthy food. The company has a variety of meal plans to choose from, and each plan includes ingredients that are locally sourced and delivered at a time convenient for their subscribers. Customers can manage their menus and deliveries through HelloFresh’s mobile app, and its customer care team is available to answer any questions.

Pros

• Flexible pricing
  • Can pause delivery
  • Four plan types
  • Easy cancellation

Cons

• Frequent use can get expensive
  • Limited allergy care

Bottom Line

HelloFresh focuses on delivering fresh, healthy food straight to your door. With a variety of recipes and plan types, there’s something to fit most anyone’s needs and tastes.

HelloFresh Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HelloFresh?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about HelloFresh US?

Original review: Dec. 26, 2021

The first box was very good. We never got a second box. We received messages that it was going to arrive and then never did. The customer service was terrible and we didn't get a chance to try another delivery. They just canceled us with no attempt to keep us as customers. Buyer beware. This is not a dependable service.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2021

I recently ordered from HelloFresh for the first time because I had 50% off my order through a military discount. I like the idea, because I sometimes work long physically demanding days and having some meals on standby seemed nice. Unfortunately, I have many complaints with this purchase. First was dishonest marketing. On top of the military discount a promotion was going on for free meals. I knew there would be a catch, but they don't tell you until after you subscribe. The free meals that are promised come in the form of small discounts on future weekly deliveries over a one year period. This isn't made clear during purchase, and I don't appreciate deceitful business practices.

When my order arrived, it sat on my porch all day and was not insulated. It came in a regular cardboard box with paper bags inside containing each meal. All recipes contained meat (were supposed to anyway), and despite being winter, the temperature outside was above refrigeration ranges. The meat sat in 50+ temperatures for a large portion of the day, and I have no idea how long it was in a delivery truck before arriving. Despite this, I came home late and decided I would give it a test run.

I decided to try the easiest meal, which was "one-pan easy cheesy chicken quesadillas". I opened the paper bag, laid out the ingredients and immediately noticed multiple issues. The scallions were extremely soggy like they had been sitting in a fridge for a month, the tortillas were torn halfway down the middle, and amazingly, the chicken quesadillas were sent without the chicken. The southwest spice seemed to be nothing more than ground cumin. I'm sure there was more to it, but it was not a pleasant spice. I did end up finishing the recipe using canned chicken from the grocery store, defeating the point of ordering a complete meal kit in the first place. The result was very bland, and the smoky red pepper cream was like eating mayo with a dash of paprika. Overall, very disappointing. Even with my discounts, I could never justify ordering something from the company again. This is my first and last order from HelloFresh.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2021

My first 5 boxes arrived on time and I was mostly satisfied. The dates were Oct. 24th, Nov. 5th, Nov 12th, Nov. 19th and Nov. 24th. One box had missing items and another box had rotten carrots. I reached out to customer service to fix the matter and I was told I would receive a full credit on December 10th's box. I was satisfied and thought everything was fixed. Then December 3rd's box never arrived. I got no answers speaking with a customer service representative on why exactly it was never shipped. I was only told another box would ship out immediately but it never came.

Later that evening I got an email stating I would not receive my box with no explanation. I called customer service again and got the runaround and finally asked for a refund. Then December 10th came and AGAIN my box never arrived and instead of receiving a full credit that I was promised for that week I was charged. AGAIN I had to deal with customer service and they had no idea I even had a credit. I was told my box was canceled and but they had no idea why they canceled my box. I NEVER CANCELED ANYTHING ON MY END!

I've asked to speak with a supervisor both times and I was denied denied denied! I was told a supervisor would call me twice but never happened. I don't understand the disconnect with HelloFresh customer service representatives and their consumers. Very very unprofessional and undependable! I have never dealt with such terrible service. It's a shame because the food was delicious and I would have continued using HelloFresh.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2021

Someone recommended I try HelloFresh, and since I am disabled and getting out to the grocery store is very difficult, I thought I'd give it a shot, especially after I got an offer for "UP TO 14 *Free* BOXES". Notices, I used quotes and Free was marked separately - nothing was free. You had to buy the service and the boxes were divided out over the next MONTH and a half. Fine, I get it. But it wasn't 14 boxes, oh no - that's only if you sign up for the most expensive and premium version. I only ended up with 8 *free* boxes - only 2 of which got delivered. Did I mention, more than half my boxes went to the wrong address? And when I called to say something, nothing was done.

I was promised a refund of $50 just before I ended my 'contract', but I never got it, and because it was all done in online chats - which they NEVER provide transcripts of - or via phone - I couldn't even provide evidence of that to PayPal to get my money back. So they scammed several hundred dollars out of my account - someone who is on EBT because all I get is Social Security. And The few boxes I did get had ingredients missing or the wrong ingredients almost as often as they were right.

Overall I would give the whole service a 2/10. The few meals they got right were tasty - if complicated. ALSO - THEY DO NOT HAVE ALLERGY MARKINGS OR OPTIONS ANYWHERE ON THE SIGHT - I have a fair few food allergies and the EXTREMELY limited weekly offerings made choosing meals a nightmare a number of times. Not everyone can eat Pork, Nuts, or Rosemary and when EVERY DISH YOU HAVE FOR THE WEEK has one of those three things, people like me were forced to skip the week - meaning I had to get assistance with shopping or skip meals a lot for an entire week and make due with things like cereal alone. Even so, this 'service' was NOT worth the extremely high price tag. I was signed up for well over 6 months and probably only got 6 WEEKS worth of boxes that were correct.

What they did right - I do have to give them credit for a few things - the recipe cards the meals came on were very nice. The instructions were quite clear and easy to follow. The food was very fresh - didn't really deal with a lot of spoiled food or waste products. The recipes were tasty after they were prepared. The box and packaging to ship was all recyclable. (Sadly, there was a lot of plastic because each individual ingredient was wrapped and sealed.)

There were vegetarian options every week - usually a few of them. And the 'extras' were darn tasty - like the cinnamon butter (AMAZING!). And the seasonal nature of the recipes was fun - but I wish you had some that were around every week as staples - things like a simple hamburger (could be swapped with one of your more exotic ones when you had those), a simple casserole of some kind, a stew, and maybe a veggie pizza or pasta dish. And LIST THE INGREDIENTS - EGGS, DAIRY, NUTS, WHEAT, SOY, RED #40, etc... (Those are all common food allergens) - and things like Coffee, Rosemary, and Ginger can be too. I think HelloFresh has lost the individual consumer in the bigger picture they are trying to cover.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2021

I signed up for $65 for 3 meals and they charged me $110 for one meal!!! I have called them twice and they sound good on the phone but no issues get resolved -they give me credit that I never get!!$$

Original review: Dec. 6, 2021

I was gifted a "Free Box" by a friend who has been using Hello Fresh for a while. I signed up for it, paid $10 for the delivery fee, then after receiving the first box I tried to cancel. My account had no option to cancel online, so I assumed if I didn't order the 2nd box, it wouldn't put me on a reoccurring subscription. I received a new box a week later and a $52 charge. I tried to cancel again and had to use the online chat function and had to go back and forth with the rep for over 5 minutes to get an actual cancellation. I'm sure I missed a warning there somewhere, but no service should make it this difficult to cancel.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

The amount of waste generated from a HelloFresh subscription is frightening. They claim to pay carbon offsets for their products and delivery. But there is no way that their carbon offset payments cover the cost of my handling and delivering waste to a recycling center. Not all of the packaging is recyclable. The goop from the frozen ice packs that have to be disposed of is worrying as to what its environmental impact must be. Just the nuisance of having to handle the packaging and the frozen gel packets counters the 'convenience' of having this delivered. Not environmentally or socially responsible! We are so disappointed to have subscribed to HelloFresh and cannot wait for it to end and the waste to stop coming!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2021

The shipment was initially marked as delayed. 2 days after the delivery date of my first box, I had to contact them because nothing had arrived, and they said it was damaged and had to be cancelled, but they would refund the order. Dissatisfied at the inconvenience, lack of communication, and the extra time and money I would have to redirect to make new accommodations, I cancelled my subscription the same day. A service that does the bare legal minimum to 'make things right' does not fly with me. The new customer discount wasn't even applied forward to the next week, so overall I was losing that if I continued.

A week later, food shows up on my doorstep, my plan is marked as active on their website, and they've charged me $189!!!!! for 6 meals! This is regular food–nothing primo. Beyond the vexation of being scammed, I have to hash it out with an agent to figure out how this ridiculous number was arrived at. The best guess they can give me is that there was an error that changed my subscription into a 4-person plan (I had a 2-person plan to begin with). The only positive thing is that their online agent did not argue about refunding this charge. I hope other people do not experience this headache. I hope your food is good. I hope your cooking goes well. I hope this is an anomaly. This is what happened to me.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2021

I have had HelloFresh for a couple of years but lately, they are horrible. I am an NP and don't have time to wait online for 2 Saturdays. On Nov 4th I called. Did not receive my box. Since then each week they have said they processed my refund. Each time they don't show me getting a refund. Now the second box has not been delivered and now they say they are going to refund my money from both times. In 10-14 days. When asked to speak to a manager they can not have one come to the phone. I canceled. Let's see what happens.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2021

Thought I would give HelloFresh a try after I received A promo in mail for 16 free meals. When I put in promo it said I would get 8 free meals (classic bait and switch) but I thought I would try out service anyway. I only wanted to TRY out this service and their food But after I ordered and gave them my card info it showed that it would be a reoccurring charge unless I cancelled my subscription of which I tried but the site won't let you. So I cancelled my card. I thought the charge had already gone through but it had not and they sent me their product anyway. I tried it and it was not bad. Called customer service and tried to make a one time payment for the order I received. They would not give me a guarantee that my card would not be continually charged and kept giving me the run around. So I told them to give me a address so I could send a check for full payment and they said they could NOT DO THAT?

All they're interested in is getting your card number so they can charge you over and over. I would suggest DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR INFO UNLESS YOU WANT A MEMBERSHIP THAT IS ALMOST IMPOSIBLE TO CANCEL. It's too bad I liked their product and would have used it a couple times a month. WHY DO COMPANIES HAVE TO BE SO SHADY?

Original review: Oct. 28, 2021

HelloFresh has the WORST customer service of any business that I’ve dealt with. I signed up with a lot of excitement and high hopes for a great experience. Box 1 arrived. Three of the meals were great, one had chewy grisly steak. Box 2 arrived, it had NO proteins needed for the meals and I couldn’t make them without having to go grocery shopping for the main ingredients. I was issued a “credit” that was to be used on my next box. Box 3 is sent out and I’m charged for it, instead of the credit being used. I called in and complained and was told that it was a “system error” and that I’d need to wait up to 2 weeks to get a refund on the amount that was sitting as a credit on my account.

Box 3 arrives, two of the meals are missing the proteins. Again, I complain, and I’m offered a $30 credit on my account. I told them no, I wanted a refund since it’s clear that the credits don’t work as they are supposed and I’m still waiting on the first refund. They agreed and issued a refund. The first refund finally shows up in my account. The second refund is nowhere to be seen. I reach back out, and I’m told that they issued a credit to my account and not a refund. After arguing with them and explaining the situation a few times, I’m told that they are issuing a refund and that I need to wait up to 2 weeks for it to appear in my account. I told them I want it in my account in 48 hours, that I’m not OK with waiting any longer since it should already have been issued. They refuse. Do NOT do business with this company.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2021

The first box I received was missing a key ingredient (Chicken). To compensate that we got a $15 credit on the next non discounted meal. This is absurd. The next box came automatically with random meals including Beef which we don't consume. If we have not selected a meal for the next week, we should not have been charged or sent a box. There was no clear notification saying you have to select a meal else a default selection would be sent out.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

If I could give negative stars I would for worst customer service and worst delivery. Week after week my boxes came late or not at all. I had a credit of around $124.00. I finally got tired of trying to use the credit and called to cancel and ask for a refund. The person I talked to said she would do that. A month later, no refund. When I called back I spent over 30 minutes talking to one agent and then was finally transferred to a supervisor. They could not see that I ever had a credit of $124.00. I think the previous agent must have deleted when she cancelled my account. I was so frustrated that I finally gave up. Horrible, horrible company. Every customer service call was lengthy and full of promises and false sympathy. They cannot seem to fix their problems.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

I have used HelloFresh before and it's nice. Not amazing just okay. I just received a card that says I get 16 FREE MEALS on the front, but I gotta subscribe, which is roughly $100. Their claim is that I get discounts that over time add up to the value of 16 meals. So in reality I pay money and they give me the stuff they would give to anyone else. I just get a discount over time that runs out and I still have to spend money. What the actual crap? To me, this is a terribly shady marketing tactic that made me never wanna use HelloFresh again. Personally, I'm never gonna use a service no matter how good it is, that employs cheap, scammy, and shady tactics to market their goods.

HelloFresh response

Hi Sage- We are truly sorry about your disappointing experience. Our goal is to be as transparent as possible with our promotions. The 16 free meals are spread throughout 4-5 weeks depending on the promotion you selected. We appreciate your feedback and will pass along your comments to our marketing and sales team. Please email us at Hello@HelloFresh.com or call #646-846-3663 and a team member will do their best to explain how this promo works. This promo is usually for new customers, but give us a call, we want to cook with you again.

Resolution response: Oct. 11, 2021

My complaint was resolved to my satisfaction.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2021

Did not deliver my first box and then HelloFresh would not issue a refund for it. Incredibly poor customer service. Cannot believe a modern company functions this way and was so unwilling to uphold their agreement. I disputed the charges with credit card and reported them to the BBB.

HelloFresh response

We are truly sorry about the disappointing experience you had with your delivery. Our goal is to deliver farm-fresh food, on time to your door, with delicious easy-to-follow recipes. We have passed along your comments to our delivery and logistics teams. Our policy is to refund and or credit you for boxes that are not delivered fresh. Please email us at Hello@HelloFresh.com or call #646-846-3663 and a team member will do their best to make this up to you and get you back cooking with us soon. Thanks

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

I received a Promo Card in the mail from HelloFresh for 12 Free Meals including free shipping and when I entered the promo code, lo and behold, I will receive a discount and NO free meals. I think that is called bait and switch.

HelloFresh response

We are truly sorry about the disappointing experience you had with your promo. The free meals are spread throughout 4 boxes, so your free meals are included each week for the duration of the promotion. The free shipping is on the first order only. We have passed along your comments to our marketing team. Please email us at Hello@HelloFresh.com or call #646-846-3663 and a team member will do their best to make this up to you and get you back cooking with us soon. Thanks

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

First of all, the "quick recipes" aren't as quick as you'd think they would be. They say "5 minutes prep" and "30 minutes cooking", but really it's more like "20 minutes prep" and "45 minutes cooking", especially since most people using this service aren't Gordon Ramsay over here. Second of all, the food really just reminds me of the spice they put on BBQ potato chips. I guess if you want "restaurant quality" noodles, just crush up some potato chips on your noodles, and voila! You got yourself a meal...? (Plus, that recipe made me use only 2/3 of the noodles and just waste the rest for no reason.)

They also don't tell you with the "free box" promotion that the second box will AUTOMATICALLY BE CHARGED even before you're finished making all the meals. You don't even have a chance to think, "do I want to continue this service or not?" Nope. If you don't think on your feet and cancel 5 days before the delivery then you'll get your surprise bill of $50+ with no notice. With the waste of time/money, the hassle of delivery, and horrible customer service, might as well just go to a restaurant to get better use out of your money.

HelloFresh response

We are truly sorry about the disappointing experience you had with your delivery. Our goal is to deliver farm-fresh food, on time to your door, with delicious easy-to-follow recipes. We offer over 25 different recipes each week and many of them only take a total of 20 minutes to prep and cook, but we have a variety of meals for all cooking situations. We have passed along your comments to our kitchen and delivery teams. Please email us at Hello@HelloFresh.com or call #646-846-3663 and a team member will do their best to make this up to you and get you back cooking with us soon. Thanks

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

Background: I was subscribed to HelloFresh for about 18 months, and have previously tried various other meal kit services over the past 7 years.

The Good: I love to cook, but hate choosing recipes and going grocery shopping every week. HelloFresh offered to remedy that for at least three nights a week. They offer 15-20 meals to choose from each week, with a wide variety of cuisine. The instructions are clear but not overbearing, and there are several recipes that I have "recreated" again on my own.

The Bad: I am going to start with the biggest issue - delivery reliability. HelloFresh offers the ability to choose nearly any day as your recurring delivery date and my wife and I selected Monday. However, deliveries were routinely early. Normally this would be a strange thing to complain about, but the contents of the package need to be refrigerated ASAP. This means that we would often be away for the weekend, only to return to a HelloFresh box which had been sitting in our lobby for an entire day. While the extensive packaging is meant to prolong the food's refrigeration, it only goes so far.

Once or twice we filed a complaint and our account was credited, but that is still a waste of food, and leaves my wife and I without meals that we were planning to have. Additionally, while there is a wide variety of meals to choose from, you quickly realize that they actually rotate the same 50 or so meals through, and many of them fail to justify their cost in terms of ingredients and overall portion.

When HelloFresh works, it serves its purpose, but it will quickly become difficult to justify a continued subscription.

HelloFresh response

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

I have ordered the 1st time, with a note that I did not eat pork or any meat products. Since I have travelled a lot so I have subscribed only once a month. Within 2 weeks I have received the 2nd shipment with the charge in my credit card. I have called the customer support to take it back the package since that I was in the road travelling (that's why I have ordered only once a month) and the food was just regular food that I could have bought from grocery store. I had told them that I was gladly to send the package back so they would not charge me. HELLOFRESH did not want to take the package and reimburse of what they had sent me. it is very stressful dealing with this company. I have not recommended with anybody.

HelloFresh response

Hi Amy- We are sorry we can not accept returned boxes. Our boxes are delivered fresh and are perishable and for safety reasons, we can not accept returns. Please give us a call #646-846-3663 and we will be happy to show you how you can pause your account, change your delivery day or address and select the meals you want without any meat products you do not eat. We need 5 days' notice to make any changes to your order. It's easy and we can show you how on your App. We hope you give us another try!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2021

First order received with two packages of damaged ground beef. The ice packs had melted or were damaged as well and what I thought was water, was blood tinged water. The smell and mess in my kitchen was horrific. Did a chat with customer service and it was difficult to explain my dissatisfaction with the delivery. I was offered a discount on my next order. Called customer and results were the same. No matter what I said I got responses asking about the reminder of the order and noted I was given credit for a future order. I requested a full credit or replacement order. I have canceled/closed the account and reached to credit card company for assistance.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

I started to use a promo code for 1 week of deliveries at a discount and free shipping. Once I got into the process of placing the order, I realized the prices near changing. It took me a while to figure out every meal is differently priced. By the time I was done, this $20 order was now $90. I decided to not go though with it. I back out and closed the order. I wanted to make sure I wasn't charged because the site had already gathered my info and used my Google account and the default payment I have attached to that. I used their support chat and was told by the rep the account was closed, the order was canceled and I won't be charged. Two days later there's a $48 charge on my card. I contact their support again via chat. They assure me again everything was canceled, the account was closed, and I will be getting a refund in a couple of days.

I go out of town for 3 days. When I get back, there's a big HelloFresh box on my front stoop. It was delivered the day I left town. The bottom was crushed and the tape on the top was ripped off. It had been sitting there for three days so it had quite an odor coming from it, also. I just finished chatting with a third person and they assure me again for the third time that the account is closed and a refund was issued. When I explained I still don't have a refund, they blamed my bank. I'm will just have to keep contact them, I guess, until this is resolved. Everything from just figuring out how much things cost to placing the order to knowing when things would arrive to canceling the order to getting to talking with their customer service and bring promised things that have haven't happened. It has been a complete nightmare the entire way.

HelloFresh response

We are truly sorry about the disappointing experience you had with your delivery. Our goal is to deliver farm fresh food, on time to your door, with delicious easy to follow recipes. We offer over 50 meal options and some of them do come with an added charge per person. These special meals are tagged like the surf and turf and gourmet options. We have passed along your comments to our delivery and logistics teams. Our policy is to refund and or credit you for boxes that are not delivered fresh and on time. Please email us at Hello@HelloFresh.com or call #646-846-3663 and a team member will do their best to make this up to you and get you back cooking with us soon. Thanks

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

I've been a faithful customer for over a year, ordering four meals every week. In the beginning, delivery was always on Sunday morning, sometimes Saturday. Veggies were fresh. Lately, the meals are delivered so late that I have to throw out the entire box because everything is spoiled. The most recent box never showed, and HelloFresh re-sent the box, which was also late and on one day, I received one leaking, smelly box and another that looked OK. I refused delivery on the leaking box. When I opened up the one that looked OK, it was full of spoiled food. So I had to throw that box out.

I was upset because our garbage had just been picked up and now I had to have rotting food in my garbage can for another week. Also, I have received boxes with soggy, lifeless carrots, scallions that were so bad I refused to use them, and chives and cilantro that were BLACK. How could anyone toss black veggies in the box? I've tried two other meal delivery companies and they always delivered on time, with fresh veggies and protein. I only stay with HelloFresh for the chocolate lava cakes.

HelloFresh response

We are truly sorry about the disappointing experience you had with your delivery. Our goal is to deliver farm-fresh food, on time to your door, with delicious easy-to-follow recipes. We have passed along your comments to our delivery and logistics teams. Please email us at Hello@HelloFresh.com or call #646-846-3663 and a team member will do their best to make this up to you and get you back cooking with us soon. Thanks

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

The food is actually pretty good, usually pretty easy to prepare and you can find discount codes everywhere, too bad the delivery service is TERRIBLE! My boxes were RARELY on time, at least one day, sometimes two days late...They will give you a credit for the food that is more than likely spoiled, but you have to keep ordering to be able to use it, which is pointless since about every other week the delivery is delayed so you never catch up. If you decide to take the chance, NEVER EVER order for Monday or Tuesday delivery. It will sit in the warehouse over the weekend and then get delayed at least a day...By the time it arrives it's no good. No joke, even the cold packs have been completely melted. My only other complaint is that the shrimp wasn't packaged very well and would leak out into the box, which after a delayed delivery, you could smell it from a block a way. We are very popular with the stray cats/raccoons in the neighborhood.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2021

I signed up for Hello Fresh to try it for a few weeks and cancel in expectation that I would come back later when family dynamics change. All I wanted was one meal to try but they won't sell one and you have to subscribe. I had a coupon for 16 free meals plus free shipping so I started to sign on for 2 meals a week for 2. During the sign on there was advertising that meals were about $7 each. I also was told I would only be getting 8 free meals at 2 each week due to only subscribing for 2 meals a week for 2.

When selecting the first meal box the total came to about $26. I didn't catch it at first but it should have only been about $14. I cancelled before the second box in time per their rules to not receive any more charges or boxes after the second box with an email confirmation from them. I then received my credit card statement which showed the $26 payment and a $41 plus another $20 payment charged for the second meal. At the same time I received a 3rd box. Upset, I called customer service and was connected to a rep with an attitude. She gave me some story about meals go up in price over for subsequent boxes and the $20 was for an upcharge.

In addition I found out I was charged $60 for the third box and another $13 charge showed a day later. I contested the $41, $20, $60 and $13 charges as overcharged or after confirmed cancellation. The rep said she would refund me but that never happened. Hello fresh lied about the prices, the rep lied about my refund and I had to dispute charges on my credit card as well as change accounts. I will never go back now and anyone else should take heed to caveat emptor with this company.

HelloFresh response

We are truly sorry about your disappointing experience. Our goal is to be as transparent as possible with our pricing. Some of our meals are tagged as Gourmet and are priced per/person and cost more, it's possible you ordered those. We will pass along your comments to our marketing and sales team. Please email us at Hello@HelloFresh.com or call #646-846-3663 and a team member will do their best to help make this up to you. Thanks

Original review: Sept. 5, 2021

I will make this long story short but I had tried to order 5 boxes. All of them which never came. My order would show as delivered and I call Hello fresh to report I did not get my box. They informed me all 5 times they don’t know what happened but I will for sure get my order next week. Customer care is horrible as they know nothing and only say they will document my situation but there is no follow through. I’ve been charged for these orders and haven’t gotten a refund yet as promised! I’m so frustrated because I really wanted to try them out!

HelloFresh response

We are truly sorry about the disappointing experience you had with your delivery. Our goal is to deliver farm-fresh food, on time to your door, with delicious easy-to-follow recipes. We have passed along your comments to our delivery and logistics teams. Our policy is to refund and or credit you for boxes that are not delivered on time. Please email us at Hello@HelloFresh.com or call #646-846-3663 and a team member will do their best to track your order and get you the refund as promised. Thanks

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

It genuinely makes me sad to write this, as I've been a customer of Hello Fresh for nearly a year, and I've really enjoyed most of the food I made. The problem is that aside from occasionally just completely missing ingredients, it became a very common reoccurring issue that the meat I received would be leaking. The way the food is packaged for shipment is a couple ice packs on the bottom, the meats, more ice packs, then the bags of ingredients on top. This means that the meat is sandwiched between 2 layers of ROCK HARD ice packs, with no soft Styrofoam or anything to help absorb shocks. So it's no surprise that the meat arrives leaking, it gets thrown around during shipping and the meat gets crushed.

I've reported this to the company the better part of a dozen times, every time getting them to refund the box (not only does the meat have to be thrown away, any fresh ingredients that get raw meat juice leaked onto it often also need to be trashed, especially if the leaking protein was poultry). Today, the ground turkey I received had a hole in the package, and I decided enough was enough. I called to demand a refund and to cancel the service. The woman I spoke to tried to rip me off, only refunding a little over half of the charge for the box, until I called her on it and she went "Oh whoops, there's a second charge here, I'll refund that too" since this week I had bought a meal that had an additional charge for premium ingredients.

Even with the second refund, I'm pretty sure I still got charged about $15 for this box that I can't get back. And, after all that, the lady I was speaking to actually hung up on me. I will say, most of the customer service reps I've spoken to have been very kind and helpful, this one was an outlier who I reported to her supervisor.

Honestly, it's a shame. The recipes are great, and when the ingredients aren't missing, leaking, (or very rarely spoiled! I have received a moldy bell pepper before!), the food is usually very fresh and tasty. I genuinely have really enjoyed cooking with Hello Fresh, but as far as I'm concerned they forced my hand. I refuse to start every Saturday by opening a box, wondering if I'm about to get upset that I received leaky meat that means I then have to A) call customer support to get a refund and complain, and B) Go to the market to replace the meat.

It's stressful, and the entire point of my family using this service was so that I wouldn't need to go to the market as often during the covid quarantine. Hello Fresh should be ashamed of themselves, sending out leaking meat so consistently (literally more than 50% of the boxes I've received in the last 2 months, a total of 8 boxes, had meat that was leaking). Do better, and maybe I'll return someday, but nobody should pay for a service that so regularly screws up.

HelloFresh response

We are truly sorry about the disappointing experience you had with your delivery. Leaking meats is not okay with us. Our goal is to deliver farm-fresh food, on time to your door, with delicious easy-to-follow recipes. We have passed along your comments to our quality control team. Please email us at Hello@HelloFresh.com or call #646-846-3663 and a team member will do their best to make this up to you and get you back cooking with us soon. Thanks

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

I am new to this and I tried this company but it just didn't work out. First, I was not able to choose my meal perhaps computer glitch. Then the delivery was another issue perhaps another computer glitch. Customer service weren't helpful each times I called. I was not informed of my food choice and/or delivery time. I suggested that perhaps they need to be retrained on how to deal with customers but was informed they didn't need training. I am just not happy at all with overall service with this company. One positive note was that the meal were really good and packed well as well as clear instruction.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

Gave it a try thanks to a referral from a sibling and the family was very impressed with the first meal. Out of curiosity I decided to add up the cost of the ingredients at my supermarket to see what it would have cost me to make the same meal. Came out to about half what Hello Fresh charges. Considering you still have to do most of the prep work (cutting veggies for example) and cooking, paying double for the convenience of not having to plan a meal and pick up the ingredients is hardly worth it for me.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

I got a "free" box from a friend. She said it should be in my email, nothing I waited 3 days still nothing. She talked to customer service they said I had to talk to customer service so I talked to customer service they said they couldn't help me she would have to talk to customer service. Finally, they just gave me a code for $50 off. Which is not a free box but fine. My friend enjoys them I would like to give them a try.

I get no emails telling me when my order is made or if it's on the way. I log in I can see it says "on the way" I go to track it and get a blank purple screen. I try to talk to customer service to my surprise no help. she gave me a link that says it's on the way. So now here it is past the drop off time I have no box and I didn't make a back up plan for meals this week. And when I talk to customer service they are no help at all. I am greatly disappointed. I really wanted this to work. I am a busy mom who would love some help picking meals.

HelloFresh response

Thanks for letting us know you are having trouble with our App and are not receiving emails. We understand how frustrating this can be and appreciate your feedback. We will pass along your comments to our tech and marketing team. Please email us at Hello@HelloFresh.com or call #646-846-3663 and we will be happy to help you with your App so you can select the meals you want, skip weeks and track your order. We want this to work out too!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

I tried to sign up because I wanted to try it, received an error code. Was left waiting for a reply for forever. Finally got signed up and they told me AFTER that my promo was no good. It also did not allow me to select my meals due to a website AND app glitch. Customer Service was awful, they kept sending me saved replies full of grammatical and spelling errors trying to convince me not to cancel. Then they only cancelled one box not the subscription, they finally cancelled once I threatened a charge back. Would never do business with this company, I would give negative stars if I could.

HelloFresh response

We are so sorry about your disappointing experience with our App and promo code. Our goal is to make it easy to apply the discount so we can deliver farm fresh food, on time to your door, with delicious easy to follow recipes. We have passed along your comments to our tech team. Please email us at Hello@HelloFresh.com or call #646-846-3663 and a team member will do their best to make this up to you and get you back cooking with us soon. Thanks

HelloFresh Company Information