It's that easy Request Information
3.94/5
Based on 3,387 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

As a global leader in providing fresh food to consumers' doorsteps, HelloFresh wants to ensure every household has the opportunity to enjoy delicoius and healthy food. They have a variety of meal plans to choose from and each plan includes ingredients that are sourced locally and delivered at a time convenient for their subscribers. Menus and deliveries can be managed through their mobile app and their customer care team is available to answer any questions. Call or visit their site today!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

3625 HelloFresh Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: April 21, 2019

I have been using HelloFresh for 2 years + now with an ok satisfaction but I have noticed more and more packaging being used over time to the point they sent me 6 carrots wrapped in individual bag this week. This is over the top waste. I contacted them and they poorly answered that plastic can be recycled. OMG. I cancelled my services and move to another supplier. Hopefully more committed to sustainability.

Hi Charles,

We are actually making an effort to reduce our carbon footprint! We make it easy to recycle everything and we just recently released our new compact boxes that use 20% fewer materials and include a recyclable liner! Our boxes and recipe kits can be broken down and recycled with your cardboard, while our condiment containers, spice/herb packages, and the ice packs can be emptied and the plastic bag can be recycled with your plastic. That being said, we know we still have work to do and plan on reducing packaging waste as much as possible.

Get expert buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 20, 2019

I really enjoy HelloFresh, it’s a good way for me to learn how to cook. My wife enjoys the meals also. My problem is that I’ve ordered quite a few times, but I’ve never received a discount or thank you points. On our budget, we just can’t afford to order any more. Sorry.

Original review: April 20, 2019

The box was dented, wet and the inside ice packs were all defrosted. I was very disappointed. We are having the salmon tonight (hopefully). The vegetables did not look fresh either. Please respond As Soon As Possible. Thank you. Vicki **

Original review: April 20, 2019

One meal we got had 11 individually packaged carrots. It has been really great other than that. But come on really? One meal. 11 giant carrots in giant plastic bags. It turned out great. But I felt so much guilt for being complicit in their waste.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 19, 2019

There is absolutely NO reason to charge upfront even before any order is given. I should have known better when they asked for a credit card up front. Even before deciding on any recipes they had charged my credit card. I canceled within 3 MINUTES of stupidly giving my credit card. The customer service guy told me that it would take 3 to 5 days to get a credit. What a bunch of BS. NEVER AGAIN!

HI Gary!

We try to be as transparent as possible about our subscription policies throughout the checkout process, but we're sorry to hear that you were caught off guard. You can always view our upcoming choices here without a subscription: http://hellofr.sh/yummy

Please get in touch at 646-846-FOOD (3663) so we can fix this.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HelloFresh US?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 19, 2019

Well first I canceled my subscription because I found it to be too expensive and when I made the meals, they weren't that great. Okay, but not great. That's fine. Whatever. But THEN I get a call from a rep who speaks extremely fast from a script (wanting to know why I canceled) and I tell her over and over that I don't want to renew. I told her why and she she said she understood. Okay, all is great. We hang up but then I get a strange feeling. Check my account and sure enough, she reactivated my subscription WITHOUT MY CONSENT. I'm extremely upset with Hello Fresh now and will never come back. I'm just glad I checked my account and was able to cancel it again before I was charged. How underhanded. Will let all my friends know.

HelloFresh response

Hi Arian! Thanks for letting us know that this happened. That's definitely not acceptable. I'll be reaching out privately with a resolution!

Original review: April 19, 2019

I love the recipes. I love the use of herbs and spices. Overall the results are delicious. I look forward to my weekly surprise. The food comes in a well packed insulated box. I love the freshness of the vegetables.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I ordered my very first 2 meals for 2 from HelloFresh because of the $ off discounts they are offering and because of convenience and need to eat healthy. I ordered Sirloin & Sherry Shallot Sauce meal and Cranberry Apple Pork Chops. I did not know until I went to check out that they were adding an extra $11.98 charge to my total cause I ordered sirloin. When box arrived, all contents were cold but they gave me 2 chicken cutlets instead of sirloin and what looks like 3 short sausage links instead of pork chops. I do not like chicken or sausage. They refuse to refund my money. Will only give me a credit for another order. I no longer want to do business with them since they are so unreliable. I now paid for food I can't eat & I have to go out and buy food for dinners. All I can say is "Buyer Beware when it comes to HELLOFRESH." Ok might be fresh but IT IS NOT what you ordered! What a ripoff!!

Original review: April 18, 2019

I wanted to like this service, and sometimes I do, but the cons outweigh the pros. Overall, the negatives are shipping issues. The boxes are clearly handled roughly (when I come home I often find my boxes sitting upside-down on the porch) and more often than not, something has torn or broken in transit. My most recent shipment contained a small container of pineapple tidbits which had popped in shipping, getting pineapple juice everywhere.

When I tried to pull ingredient bags out of the box, the bags were so damp that everything spilled out onto the floor. I have also often received meat in open packaging and ingredients with raw meat juice on them. On top of that, the vegetables are often not particularly fresh. I often have to leave ingredients out because they are wilted by the time they get to me... usually things like spring onions and tomatoes. I DO enjoy cooking HelloFresh recipes, but for the price (and inconvenience of frequently unusable ingredients) it's just not worth it.

Original review: April 18, 2019

All recipes received were excellent. My complaint is in the small portion size of the meat, and for a family of 5 it is not practical in terms of cost. A great service for small families or working couples. Not a great fit for this season of life.

Original review: April 18, 2019

We enjoy HelloFresh for several reasons. The menu selection meets our needs, the directions are explicit and the food is delicious, the portions are appropriate and delivery to our door enhances my life. The meals provide a great balance of nutrition and we enjoy the sauces.

Original review: April 18, 2019

Unacceptable. The WORST customer service. I got a free voucher from a friend that lives in my building. WE DO NOT SHARE A FLAT, I even provided my own flat number and they have refused to honour my voucher. They have said I am not a first time customer which I clearly am as I LIVE ALONE AND HAVE NEVER TRIED THE FOOD. Just based on the way I was treated by customer service I will be looking elsewhere for a subscription box. Good way to lose customers.

Original review: April 18, 2019

We have been ordering from HelloFresh for a few months now and have been amazed at the flavor combinations. The matching of proteins and veggies, sauces and spices are truly exceptional. Thanks HelloFresh, you have made making and eating dinner fun!!!

Original review: April 18, 2019

I’ve really liked the meals however at least one meal a week comes damaged and a lot of the produce is close to rotten. On more than one occasion, the rice package has been opened and spilled everywhere, soy sauce bottle have broken and seeping into the food in the bag, every time I get a tomato, the skin is already wrinkly and it’s too ripe to use, and ever zucchini is squishy. This is all observations from the day I open the box. On multiple occasions, I’ve had to go to the grocery store to buy what was supposed to be in the box, but came rotten or damaged.

Original review: April 18, 2019

The recipes were okay for a couple of boxes, then it was the same cooking methods repeated over and over. Too many potatoes, carrots made the meals starchy and the recipes boring after a few boxes. I hoped for more, but I ended up replacing the vegetables with fresh crisp veggies.

Original review: April 18, 2019

It's really sad some of the changes you have made over the past year. Used to be great with both delivery and food quality. No in my area, depending on what day I want my box delivered, you are using UPS. They are extremely unreliable and rarely deliver on time. I got 1 box 2 days late - no reason; they just didn't deliver. I'm sure they are cheap, but you need to stop using them and go back to a reliable delivery company - did you read any of the reviews of this company - everyone is complaining about delivery timing.

Second, your food, especially protein, used to be high quality. It has gotten so that your chicken is so bad (rubbery) that I have to avoid the chicken dishes. This is unfortunate and keeps me from ordering because these are typically the ones that are lower in calories. You need to re-evaluate your supplier. Additionally, more than once, I've gotten packages of meat that are cut open - I assume this is done by careless employees when they are cutting open boxes. This is unsafe and unsanitary.

Original review: April 18, 2019

HelloFresh has been a wonderful experience for us and has helped us in many ways. It really has taught us how to properly season food and introduced us to new spice blends, that are easy to duplicate. It’s also taught us a bit about portion control and helped us gain a healthier lifestyle. Above all it’s convenient and the recipes are delicious! Thank you.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I subscribed to Home Fresh on the recommendation of my son and his wife, who had been using the service for a while. The meals were delivered promptly each week. Everything inside was fresh and good and well packaged. Preparation was so easy with the step by step recipe cards. It was like getting a surprise package each week, except that I had ordered the meals from the menu the week prior, but it was still fun to see what was inside. I enjoyed each one. Besides the fact that I enjoyed each one, the bigger surprise was that I saved money by not having to shop at the grocery store as often and literally, having no waste. I would definitely recommend this to my friends.

Original review: April 18, 2019

All of the meals have been delicious, creative and fun to prepare and plate! Two recipes since, joining have had a missed item, quality control should be better! I also wish you could incorporate more veggies with meat dishes, gotten tired of carrots! Add dessert menu, please! Simple menu, cookies to bake, small pie crust and filling, creme brulee--something to top off wonderful meal! My favorite so far is pork chops with apple cranberry! Thanks for caring, keep it going...

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: April 18, 2019

Overall, a great idea, with great recipes. Fails when it comes to quality of produce, choice of meat sourcing (farm raised Salmon), ability to consistently get everything into the meal kits. We tried this program, and were initially very impressed, (first week of meals) second order was low quality produce (bruised, soft, rot) and missing a couple items which is the whole point of buying kits. WE have tried a couple other programs as well, and found the same issues with them. Just not worth the cost, of $10+ a plate. Too bad great idea, lousy follow through.

HelloFresh response

Hi Don! This doesn't meet our high standards for ingredient quality. Please give us a call at 646-846-FOOD (3663), and we'll resolve this ASAP.

You can also live chat with us 24/7 at HelloFresh.com by clicking on "Chat with us" in the bottom right corner.

Original review: April 18, 2019

My husband and I are retired and have really enjoyed the delicious meals we've received from HelloFresh. Each one has truly been delicious! We also like it that when we travel, we can skip a week or two. And - it's a lot of fun cooking together!!

Original review: April 18, 2019

I received an order on March 22 that I had asked twice over two weeks to have cancelled. I was not going to be home for a week. The food spoiled and was thrown away. I felt the website was difficult to use when ordering, changing orders and changing deliveries. The food was delicious, easy to cook and ready pretty quickly.

Original review: April 18, 2019

We've tried new foods, spices and recipes we would not have otherwise tried, which is great. The vegetarian options are really good but because the selections are limited, we are receiving several of the same recipes again. More variety would be better.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I love HelloFresh! We are not vegetarian, but we order the veggie menu, because I have been trying to learn how to cook meatless meals. The meals are delicious and varied. Most are fairly easy to reproduce. HelloFresh has been a game changer for my family.

Original review: April 18, 2019

So we love the meals. That they are easy and come right to our house. However, over the past few months, every time we got a box, one of the meats would be open. The customer service was wonderful at giving us credit for the open meat, however it really kinda sucked. We are doing trying HelloFresh again and are hoping for better results.

Original review: April 18, 2019

The Food was very good. My problem was I'm 86 years old and it was too much for me to do. A 25 minute time took me 2 hours to do. It wore Me out. I still have several bags of veggies in my Fridge.. I did freeze the meats. It would be perfect for Young people. 2 of my Granddaughers have plans. Cooking just isn't, My thing anymore.. have plans and Love it.

Original review: April 18, 2019

We have loved the sauces. Just wish we had twice as much. I have had problems with some vegetables but I called Customer Service and they gave me a refund. All in all, we have really enjoyed the meals. No more Brussel sprouts please. Lastly, they are perfect portions and keep our meals from being the same old same old.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I have tried Blue Apron, Home Chef and Sun Basket. While I enjoyed those, we enjoy HelloFresh by far. I prefer the meal choices and for me the cuts of meat are by far superior. The customer service is outstanding & have had very few issues that needed resolved. Highly recommend!

Original review: April 17, 2019

I have been doing HelloFresh since January and I love it. I don't mind cooking but always having the right stuff on hand is difficult - this makes it all so easy that I'm enjoying every minute of it. The food is amazing and the directions are easy to follow and the time it takes to make a meal is very accurate. I can always find things to pick if I don't want to go with the suggested weekly items. I have told everybody about my experience and gotten a couple of my friends to try a subscription as well. I just can't say enough nice things. =)

Original review: April 17, 2019

I have gotten 4 boxes so far with HelloFresh and they have all been great! One box the chicken was unusable, but customer service refunded me and made me feel like a valued customer. I have loved every meal so far and how easy it is to cook these meals! I will definitely continue to get HelloFresh and have recommended to my friends!

HelloFresh US expert review by ConsumerAffairs

A Berlin-based company with U.S. headquarters in New York City, HelloFresh delivers fresh ingredients and recipes to the customers each week for them to prepare at home. The company even partners with famed chef Jamie Oliver for exclusive recipes.

• Various options: HelloFresh offers options for vegetarians, as well as larger boxes for families.

• Subscription service: HelloFresh sells a "subscription" that automatically renews each week unless you opt out.

• Wide delivery range: The company delivers anywhere in the continental U.S.

• Small suppliers: Food is purchased from smaller suppliers for the freshest ingredients.

• Choose your meals: You can choose which meals you receive each week to suit your own individual tastes and needs.

• Best for: Busy individuals, busy families and people looking to expand their cooking knowledge.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs