Consumer Reviews and Complaints

As a single mom, working two jobs HelloFresh is a life saver!! Fresh, affordable, easy to make meals delivered right to my door!! My teenager can even make the meals on his own! It makes me feel good to be able to provide a high quality delicious meal for my family. AND you can't buy it at the store for Hello Fresh prices; go ahead, try to!

HelloFresh has been a game changer for us! My husband and I aren't great at cooking and HelloFresh makes it easy with the step-by-step instructions! Also, we are BUSY so we're eating out a lot, HelloFresh has helped us eat so much healthier. I don't know how to shop for all these 'secret' ingredients so having it all come in a box is perfect for us. Oh and by the way in our busy lives HelloFresh has helped us spend more time as a couple/family making dinner together. :)

I read many good reviews about HelloFresh so I thought I'd give it a try. The first week was good but then the second week was highly disappointing. The food came a day late and was completely soaked. The vegetables were rotting and it smelled horrible. I couldn't eat it. I'm canceling my subscription ASAP.

Have been subscribing to HelloFresh for approximately 1 month. Each meal that's been sent has been delicious. I find the quality of the supplies quite good. The directions are easy to follow and makes cooking dinner easy and fun. I would recommend your service to my friends.

Hey Zackary,

We're glad our customer care team was able to make this right! It sounds like you couldn't see the account credit in your account because it was already applied to your upcoming box. If there's anything else we can do to help, please feel free to reach out!

Original review: July 20, 2017

Delivery: The first order failed delivery - When I called customer service, it was essentially "lost", as a FedEx label was created, but not applied to a package. The second delivery came by a local service and was left on the sidewalk at 4pm. Everything was warm, but at least it arrived. Food: I put the food away once it arrived, but unfortunately only some ingredients survived. The menu looked nice, but I was only able to make 2 of the 3 items, due to spoilage. None of the ingredients appeared to be organic and absolutely nothing was "farm fresh" (Opinion based upon being raised on a farm) and all 3 meals could be put together for no more than $15 at your local grocery store.

Customer Service: The Customer Service experience was average for this kind of business, not good, not bad. Thankfully they did refund the original order amount and they even offered a $59.94 credit on my account and a free order. The refund is pending (7 business days later), the $59.94 account credit is non-existent, but the "complimentary order" did arrive... Mostly. Bringing up the credit to customer service results in silence, or change of subject. Bottom line: You are better off buying your food the normal way (Mankind has lived without Hello Fresh a long time) than deal with the hassle and lost wages.

So I received a voucher for a free box from a friend which I was very excited about, so I get online to order my free box!!! I go through all the steps, put in my voucher code and lo and behold it wants my credit card information... What!!! But it's free I have a code and everything!!! So I hold that order and call up Hello fresh, well the fella on the phone was not a pleasant person. I asked him why did I need to put in my card info if the box was free? His response was that's just how it's set up either you do it or you don't get the box! Hhmm. I said to the great man I'm a little confused and he cut me off with his smart ** reply "Well you shouldn't be."

I continued to say "So what you're really telling me is that I have to put in my card number and after I get my free box my card will be charged until I cancel correct." He said "Yes it will" so way to go Hello fresh for having a staff member for customer service who is not pleasant and for the not at all free box for free. So I guess if I want to try this out I will be going to Amazon fresh.

Hey Stephanie,

Alex here from the HelloFresh community team. I'm sorry to hear about your experience. It sounds like there was some confusion in pausing your subscription. You have to pause each week that you don't want to receive a delivery. Weeks that are not manually paused are labeled active. Please email us your account info at communityteam@hellofresh.com so we can look into this further for you!

Original review: July 20, 2017

I highly recommend you avoid this dishonest company. I had been using HelloFresh for a few weeks when I decided to put my subscription on pause using the app. Then, a few days ago they resumed my subscription and charged my credit card $60. They did not email me or notify me in any way. What is most disturbing is that there is no language on the app that makes a consumer aware that the subscription will resume without consent. Because I had to click to pause, I assumed I would need to click to un-pause. In fact, I even received an email asking me to preview the menu and click to un-pause, further reason for me to believe that action would need to be taken in order to resume. I would accept responsibility if I was made aware that the subscription would resume but had forgotten about it, but this is not the case.

When I reached out to customer service, Ashanti told me there is nothing they can do and that this was due to "confusion" on my part. There was no confusion, I did not misunderstand information that was presented, there simply was nothing to make a consumer aware that a pause would be temporary. After a few minutes of research I see that I am not the only one with this complaint. If HelloFresh was a responsible organization with integrity that valued the trust of their customers, they would clarify these issues so that no one would be charged without their awareness. Clearly, this is an attempt to trap consumers into paying for another week of food. Now to top it off it appears as though my entire account has been deleted. I tried to log in to view my receipt and my email address is not being found. Way to try to sweep this under the rug, HelloFresh. I will be disputing this charge with my credit card company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HelloFresh US?

I really enjoy this service. It fits my busy, commuter life by minimizing my time spent shopping or meal planning, and allows my husband to help too since there are instructions. I do wish it had a more diverse array of dietary options and more veggies, but I appreciate the affordability and ease. I have recommended to several friends!

A friend of mine encouraged me to sign up for HelloFresh because she and her husband enjoyed the HelloFresh meals so much. Now that my husband and I have been HelloFresh members for awhile, we are so very impressed with the meals, too. We love the fresh herbs that make the meals so tasty. I used to be so afraid of cooking, and HelloFresh has given me the confidence to put delicious meals on the table. The house smells fantastic for hours! HelloFresh continues to be an excellent and healthy experience for us!!!

It took a little bit to navigate and learn you can change your box selections. My 1st order was not confirmed, and had an issue w/ delivery. Your CSR was fabulous! She took control of the issue, provided resolution. The next issue, I made just an inquiry about freshness, and I was rewarded with a credit. I have bragged about this product on my Facebook. I have offered "free boxes" and discounted boxes. If my budget allowed I would get the product every week. I get excited when I get a delivery and I love the menus.

I tried the HelloFresh vegetarian meal plan for a month, and I loved it. I only had one missing ingredient, and they refunded me the cost of the entire meal. I mention this because I also tried Blue Apron, which is notorious for missing ingredients and poor customer service. I'm a long-time vegetarian, and I was really impressed by the recipes and the spices and flavors of the HelloFresh meals. In fact, I've gone back and made the recipes again on my own because I loved many of them so much. The packaging is also great too, which each meal's ingredients packaged in one box, not just thrown together in one giant box (I'm looking at you, Blue Apron...). The only reason I stopped was I couldn't justify the expense, and I was the only one eating the meals in my house. But I would highly recommend HF.

Customer service is great! Products were generally good. Did not care for the salmon at all though. I use fresh salmon that has never been vacuum packed and this was very fishy. Also didn't care for the heavily flavored vegetable broth used in the rice for that dish. Other items in the first box were quite good. Proteins are good quality. I am an accomplished cook and found some of the combinations to be less enjoyable than how I would prepare things. (As an example, directions to string peas should have been more definite and cooking them in oil rather than steaming was not particularly good. Steaming first briefly or not browning in oil would have resulted in better texture, mouth feel and taste.). Loved the stuffed peppers. Trying second box this week.

I have always enjoyed cooking, but never enjoyed cooking for one person. There was always too much expense in extra ingredients and too much wasted food (thrown out or ingredients unused). HelloFresh provides the solution for my hatred of multi-night leftovers, constantly changing menus, easy menus, great selection, organization in my fridge upon arrival, VERY minimal wasted ingredients and meals that look complicated but are not.

I recently moved back to IL from the DC area to care for my father as he battles lung cancer since my mom passed away 4 months ago and she was his caregiver. He is now enjoying fresh, healthy meals every night (opposed to microwave dinners he was eating before I was able to move back) and he really enjoys the variety. It has also given us the chance to talk about our day while getting through some really tough times. HelloFresh not only made my life easier a year ago, but it is helping my father get healthy when he needs it most. I can't thank you enough!!

Hey Ericka,

This is Alex from HelloFresh's community team! I'm taking a look at your account now and I'll reach out via private response to make sure this is handled appropriately for you.

Original review: July 19, 2017

I have had to call customer service twice now about delivery instructions being ignored and food spoiling. For my first "free" box I was charged $10 for a premium meal I did not receive, and have NOT been refunded for.

Love everything about HelloFresh from concept to tummy! Was very skeptical at first and figured I'd get the 1st box deeply discounted and be done. Ok, we'll do one more... because for $10 a meal per person we can eat out... Week 3, waiting for it to show up Monday Afternoon, having withdrawals because it's been 4 days with our HelloFresh fix.

Week 4 HOOKED! Yes it's $60.00 for 3 meals for 2 people (most evenings have enough left over for my mother in-law or a light lunch the next day) but BIG PICTURE. I am saving at least $55 a week on groceries, I'm not wasting ANYTHING and my husband and I are having fun doing this together. Quick, mostly simple recipes and makes you think differently about cooking. AND I HAVE FOUND MY GO TO GIFT FOR BUSY FRIENDS, NEW MOMS or anyone who is just having a tough time. The one time I had a problem with my delivery it was promptly and professionally handled. Very impressed and I'm not a reviewer.

I'm a good cook but this experience has even broadened my horizons. The quality of the ingredients is amazing and the choices are varied. We have used this service for a month and we have enjoyed each and every meal! The freshness shines through and the recipes are great. The flexibility of meal choice is also very important. The recipe directions are easy to follow and the meals look exactly like the recipe cards. The recipes are so user friendly that mothers and daughters can cook together and it is a great learning experience for college bound kids. The value for money is incredible.

Factual basis uncertain

HelloFresh

Hi Elizabeth! Jordan here, the head of our community team. I'm so sorry to hear about the mix up with your account page. I would be more than happy to take a second look at your account and hopefully make this right for you. I'll reach out privately right now.

Original review: July 18, 2017

I loved my meals and the quality and variety of the foods. I encountered several issues with using the app versus the desktop website to manage my subscription. The first time I received the wrong meals customer service was great and gave me a credit towards my next order. They stated there was an issue with using the app and to use the desktop website. I assumed this would get fixed? When I placed a cancel on a specific week via the app it did not go through and I was charged for the week. Upon noticing this I called customer service immediately and they were not able to cancel the order even though it was Tuesday and my order was coming Saturday, and I was charged. That was enough for me to cancel my subscription. Customer service was neither friendly nor helpful the second time I needed to contact them, therefore they lost a customer and all the potential referrals I could have given them. It's unfortunate bc I enjoyed the service too.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We use HelloFresh because it helps us to eat healthier than we would normally. It limits waste by only sending us just what we need. There is limited variety for vegetarians, and we do not eat meat, so sometimes I skip several weeks in a row when we don't love the menu.

My husband and I decided to try out a meal kit service because we both work full time, and we found too many nights that we were too tired to cook, didn't have any food in the fridge, and we wasted a lot of food. We like to cook, however, so having the ingredients we need and cool, different recipes has been great! Much of the time they're recipes we never would have picked out of a cookbook, but end up being quite delicious! When/If we have any leftovers, it's just enough for one of us to take it to lunch, so there's no dragging it out, and it all gets eaten.

We've had a few chicken issues, but I emailed Customer Service, and they handled the issue promptly and to my satisfaction. Occasionally they don't include a basic such as sugar or oil, which doesn't bother us at all, though I can see how it might impact others. I'm also lactose intolerant, so we don't use the cream cheese and sour cream (etc) included. I would at least love the option to opt out of that because we have tubes and tubes of sour cream I can't eat and my husband can't keep up with :P but I don't have a problem/am used to subbing my own lactose free options (But I suggest finding lactose free rather than most "fake" options. So much yummier!). We're getting 4 meals a week, and we're probably going to reduce it to three- we're kind of having trouble keeping up. But having Hello Fresh has eliminated hours spent at the grocery store, nearly all our food waste, and we've been eating healthy, tasty, balanced meals!

I have loved my experience with HelloFresh! The recipes are interesting but not too challenging or long to prepare, the food is fresh, and the convenience is completely and totally worth it. My chief complaint is that it appears you cannot choose meals from both the classic menu and the vegetarian menu. What I would really like to do is order one meal from the classic menu and two meals from the vegetarian menu (or vice versa), but the system won't allow it. My only other complaint is that we could never afford to do a HelloFresh box every single week. It's just too expensive. So we are only able to order a box for special weeks, or when we don't have time to go to the grocery store. We have loved our experience!

I love HelloFresh! Can't beat the convenience. I really enjoy not having to ask what does my family want for dinner, grocery shopping, or having to thaw meat a day or two before I need it. The recipes have satisfied the pickiest of eaters. I have had a few problems with receiving wrong ingredients or not so fresh ingredients but I would say their customer service is 5 star and they address concerns very quickly. Overall I'm very happy and would recommend to anyone.

HelloFresh is so convenient. I love that all the food is of such a high quality! The recipes are easy to follow and are always incredibly tasty! I would recommend this to anyone, single, married, kids, no kids, anyone! It helps you step out of the rut of the same old weeknight meals, and you get to keep the recipes to make over and over! It's the best!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I really love HelloFresh! It has really helped my family eat out less and has encouraged me to cook with more vegetables. I have truly learned a lot! Sadly, many of the veggies have arrived broken, herbs are brown and rotting, and many seasonings missing; including my most recent delivery (7/17/17). I suggest for meals that include cans, perhaps separating the cans from the veggies. I also wish there was better quality control to ensure all ingredients are included in the kits and herbs are fresh. I still love HelloFresh and would definitely recommend to friends and family. Thanks for all you do and I wish you all a continued and "fresh" success!

I enjoyed the HelloFresh recipes, however I cancelled because I often received produce that was damaged, unripened, bruised or blacken. I also did not like that they changed to the paper bags, it made for harder storage in the refrigerator and it looked sloppier in the refrigerator. The boxes presented a neater storage option.

My husband and I have really enjoyed the majority of the meals and cooking together. I love that I don't have to plan anymore. Our only beef is now that it is summer, the food arrives barely cool. If it sits out at all at our doorstep (we live in the desert and our door faces west), the produce is tepid. Wondering if there is a way to pack it better or ship it faster.

HelloFresh

Hi Rita! Jordan here, from our community team. I'm so sorry for the disappointing experience. That does not match our high quality standards, and I'm happy to make it right. I will reach out privately ASAP.

Original review: July 16, 2017

Order delivered 7-10-2017 - The garlic chicken meal was very good. The burger was a little disappointing. The Chorizo breakfast sandwich meal would rate on its own a 1 star due to the quality of the product shipped. First issue, the eggs were broken and had leaked on all other items in the bag. The cheese package was soaked and I did not feel comfortable using the cheese not knowing if egg had soaked into the package. Egg was all over the potatoes which again for food safety I peeled the potatoes prior to cooking. Finally, the avocado was bad. Luckily I had eggs, cheddar cheese and avocado on hand and still made the sandwich which was good. It is very disappointing to pay for a delivery of 3 meals on only 2 were what I consider edible. I have included pictures of the mess I incurred with this meal.

We have been using HelloFresh for a year now... Our first boxes came as a gift from a neighbor when we moved into our new neighborhood. And we were hooked from day one. The meals are fabulous. We cannot say enough good things about HelloFresh. Thank you for everything.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I decided to try HelloFresh because we had gotten a few offers for a free box and we were trying to make meal planning easier and healthier. I've been using HelloFresh regularly for the past year and a half and I don't think I could go back to regular grocery shopping. I live in an area where the only grocery option for miles is Costco, which for a family of 2, is not ideal. Having fresh ingredients for 3-5 meals delivered weekly solves the ongoing dilemma of what to eat for dinner.

I use other meal delivery subscriptions and HelloFresh remains my favorite. I enjoy the variety of the recipes and quality of ingredients. I especially enjoy the Asian fusion dishes as well as all the different taco varieties. My husband and I cook all of the meals together and it is a part of our nightly routine; it is fun, quality time that we spend together preparing meals.

The plans are not for the cost conscious but if you are a busy professional who doesn't enjoy or have time for grocery shopping, eating out every night is more expensive and you certainly aren't eating meals that average around 650 calories per serving. I have recommended HelloFresh to many friends. I am rarely disappointed with my delivery and even if there are issues, the customer service is great. I always feel like my business is valued and they make sure I'm satisfied.

Overall, HelloFresh takes the fun part of cooking and delivers it to your door. No more trips to the grocery store, no more expired produce in your fridge, and no more dull, boring meals. The food is delicious. The meal selection process is super easy. The delivery and quality is consistent. HelloFresh can be a lifestyle change that any busy professional who enjoys cooking can appreciate and get a lot more value than a great dinner out of it.

HelloFresh is just that -- FRESH. Having used their meal plans for 1.5 years, I feel confident I will be using it for a long time to come. Exercise, eight hours of sleep each night and healthy food contributes to a happy and long life. At 75 years old, I hope to make it another 75 with HelloFresh as my "healthy food" component!!!

The only thing better than HelloFresh would be having it two decades ago when I was a busy working mother of three. All the hassles of meal preparation have been eliminated - the shopping, the "what do we eat tonight", and the surplus of ingredients that usually turn and have to be thrown out. The quality of meat, chicken and fish has been excellent (with one exception when chicken was rubbery). Fresh produce is usually very good. I have had romaine lettuce delivered as limp noodles, but customer service has been great - they will apologize and find a way to make it up to you. We have been using HF for months, now, and I wonder if I will venture on my own at some point, but I have a feeling the same old problems would return - shopping, surplus, and the dreaded "what are we going to have for dinner?!"

I have been using HelloFresh since February. I've been very pleased with the meals and fresh ingredients. I've referred several friends and have had great feedback. One comment I hear from my single friends - I wish they had a single serving option.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I have received two orders now and I have to say that each meal has been DELICIOUS!! The product is just as described. Fresh ingredients and simple to prepare. My extremely picky boyfriend has yet to vocalize any complaints. I look forward to many more deliveries.

HelloFresh Company Profile