HelloFresh
3.91/5
Based on 4,221 ratings submitted in the last year

HelloFresh

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

As a global leader in providing fresh food to consumers' doorsteps, HelloFresh wants to ensure every household has the opportunity to enjoy delicoius and healthy food. They have a variety of meal plans to choose from and each plan includes ingredients that are sourced locally and delivered at a time convenient for their subscribers. Menus and deliveries can be managed through their mobile app and their customer care team is available to answer any questions. Call or visit their site today!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

HelloFresh Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

As an intro, I don't like to cook, and my wife confessed to running short of ideas, so we signed up for a trial run with HelloFresh. First off, we have found the recipes well organized and easy to follow, with ingredients, including the meats, in generous supply for a 2 person subscription. Quality of ingredients is at least on par with our Publix grocery and since the meal bags have everything portioned out there is nothing much left over to throw out or try to use in something else. Some complain about the amount of packaging, which to me is not excessive and assures you have the right portions for the dish you prepare. The larger stuff is all recyclable anyway. I will admit I messed up a couple of sauces a bit, and could have done better with presentation, but all meals so far have passed muster with flying colors.

My wife is picky and has embraced the concept. We are now sharing cooking duties on HelloFresh nights since she wants to help me get it right. We eat out a lot, but perhaps will do less so now. Price per meal with drinks runs between $10 and $15, less than half of what we would spend in a restaurant for comparable fare. We usually complement the dishes with a salad from a salad bag, and have our own favorite wines. The favorite word for whoever writes the recipes is "drizzle" and I'm about to get a sense of just how much a drizzle entails. You do need to have your own salt, pepper, and cooking oil since the quantities of those required are tiny. We also have a rice cooker and a zester, which have speeded up some of the preps to faster than spec'd.

Since you are the "chef" you need some obvious utensils like knives, baking pans, frying pans, pots, spatulas, etc. but pretty minimal. So far we're pleased with meal selection and variety. The menu choices rotate so you can avoid repeats for a long time. I would rate us as still in the newbie category, but if our first experiences are representative, HelloFresh is a keeper.

Get expert buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 11, 2019

HelloFresh has changed the way my husband and myself are eating now, in a positive way. It literally has changed our lives! We are a couple in our early 60’s and I’ve always been the primary cook, until HelloFresh. Cooking meals for me had become boring and repetitious. It had become depressing to cook for the two of us, oftentimes we’d go out to eat because we couldn’t decide what to cook. We both work full-time jobs; I’d come in from work either too tired to want to cook or my husband, who only grilled meats at the time, wouldn’t feel like grilling. Now after 42 years of marriage with me the primary cook he’s now in the kitchen cooking too and it’s a freakin’ miracle!!! We look forward to our meals coming and we are eating out so much less. In fact, since we’ve started HelloFresh we don’t have the cravings for restaurant fare like we used to do. After a meal we’ve prepared we honestly feel as though we’ve been out to eat! My only wish is that we could afford HelloFresh for every evening, but we cannot now.

My only comments/suggestions has to do with the vegetables. As I’ve shared in the past, you offer a great deal of green beans, potatoes and broccoli. We’ve grown tired of those and do get excited when we see asparagus or salads offered. We would love to see more of a variety in the vegetable line, such as: English peas, Blackeyes, Bell Peppers, Brussels sprouts, Spinach, Fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, etc. Also next year, for Mother’s Day, I would love to purchase the breakfast brunch, but only if it was available for two and not for four persons. I was disappointed because it looked so good, but it was unrealistic for us because it would have been way too much food. My daughter’s live away and there wasn’t anyone else who could enjoy the brunch with us. It would have been an honor for my husband to have prepared the meal for me.

Last comments - you may want to suggest on your recipe cards for the meals which include fresh herbs, like green onions, parsley, sweet basil, etc. immediately upon receipt to open the brown bags and remove them from their packaging. My suggestion is to place them in a glass container filled with cool fresh water, until ready to use them. Every day they should additional fresh water to the container and leave them in a sunny location. I’ve learned the hard way when I’ve had to throw out some herbs because they wilted /rotted beyond use while in the refrigerator in the original container. They keep so much better this way - and in fact, I’m growing basil that I had left over. It rooted in the jar so I’ve planted it and it is doing well in my kitchen! Now I’ve started green onions and parsley, hopefully they will do well too. Thank you HelloFresh for changing my world and making food preparation something fun again!!!

Original review: March 15, 2019

Where to begin to describe how wonderful our experience has been with Hello Fresh. First, the packaging. Living in Florida where variable temperatures can spike into the low 90's even in "winter" having perishables delivered to one's doorstep can be perilous. Well, no worries there. The food is packaged so beautifully with sufficient ice packs so that everything arrives in perfect condition. The recipe cards are gorgeous and clearly demonstrate the entire preparation process and even what kitchen tools will be needed. Although my husband and I love to cook we chose HelloFresh due to our hectic schedules. All too often we had no plan for what our dinner would be only to end up with unsatisfying, substandard and overpriced takeout. HelloFresh insures that we will have delicious meals on hand which we know we can plate within 45 minutes.

We have tried quite a few HelloFresh selections and there have been none that we haven't thoroughly enjoyed. The chefs have developed many great pairings and share their talent down to beautiful plating suggestions. We are so impressed that all of our dinners to date have been deemed photo worthy. We have fun sending photos to family and friends. No matter what the circumstances are in your household it's gratifying to know that a gourmet style meal made with fresh ingredients can be delivered to your doorstep. And, more importantly, you can have fun cooking it yourself. Be prepared for "compliments to the chef" for a delicious meal.

When considering the price point my husband and I feel HelloFresh is a bargain. We have grown to despise spending lots of money on fresh herbs at the grocery store only to throw away unused portions. With HelloFresh you'll get what you need to prepare each meal. You'll never again go through the pain of seeing expensive specialty condiments and fresh herbs go into the trash. So many thanks and kudos to HelloFresh for a superlative product.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I have used the Hello Fresh program for more than a year now, and I do like it very much overall. I enjoy cooking, but I do NOT enjoy shopping, and deciding on menus, and Hello Fresh's main virtue, for me, is that they eliminate those chores, along with providing appealing options and ingredients that are ready to go with minimal fuss (as much as possible, at least). Their customer service staff is quite helpful and responsive, and in the rare instances where I've had a problem, they have been very quick and helpful in solving it.

I've also learned a few things from them about cooking--and they do seem to make an effort to limit the number of pans and dishes that have to be dirtied to prepare the meal. If there is a downside, it's that the portions are not very large, so if you are feeding two people, you'll never have leftovers (and I like leftovers). If one of the diners has a large appetite, he or she might well come away unsatisfied.

Another downside, for me, is that the price seems barely reasonable, especially for some of the menu items (the meal I had tonight, for instance, was quite good, but had very inexpensive and basic ingredients). If a menu item has something unusual in it (like a decent cut of beef, or a small duck breast--still small portions, by the way) the price goes up substantially, and some items go up as much as $8 **per person,** which brings the total cost up to $36 for the meal, and still with small portions and no leftovers.

At this point, for me, the law of diminishing returns sets in. However, this hasn't been enough to make me unsubscribe, and I remain pretty enthusiastic about the meals I make with Hello Fresh ingredients and coaching. Most of them really are restaurant quality, very impressive, with truly delicious pan sauces with most meals, and nice plating instructions. I am proud to serve them to friends, and I've almost never had anything less than rave reviews. So, in short: I would recommend the service, if you like to cook and value the convenience they offer, and value flavorful and special meals (which I do). But I don't know that I would do it assuming it's a huge BARGAIN, or assuming that it will save you a lot of money at the store.

To me, the good definitely outweighs the bad, and I remain a fan -- so I say give it a try, since you don't really have to take a price risk to try, and you can cancel at any time. I believe they are an honorable company, given my experience with their customer service (they once refunded the price for an entire meal for me because the kale had gone bad when I received the box). Overall: thumbs up from me.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I was first worried that by the time my meals (or rather meal kits) arrived they would be in a sad state - but they were not! They add PLENTY of ice as well as insulation so everything is nice and cold despite whatever time your box arrives. I should know I've had everything from a 5 am arrival to a 8 pm arrival. I always enjoyed cooking - just never enjoyed gathering everything up only to have the recipe taste gross. Thus far everything I have tried has been great and all the recipes I have done have been easy to follow (despite sometimes missing a step in the directions. For example sometimes you are never told when to put the topping on a piece of chicken before it goes into the oven only to see in the next steps image that the topping is cooked thus you have to assume it was placed the same time the chicken went into the oven.)

I was a Friday delivery day - however, I went from a morning arrival to a night arrival, which didn't work for me considering I was waiting for the delivery to arrive so I could begin cooking my meal for the day. I moved to a Thursday delivery and noticed a big change in the produce I received. On Friday deliveries the produce I received was starting to wilt versus Thursday everything looked like you had just picked it out at a supermarket. The first few weeks for Thursday delivery were amazing at the arrival time, this last delivery, however, arrived around 8 pm which is good and bad I just wish it was more consistent but you really can't ask for much.

Honesty, Thursday has become my most favorite day of the week because of Hello Fresh. I enjoy cooking and Hello Fresh makes it really simple and easy to follow. I can honestly say that I have really stepped outside my usual "flavor profiles" and discovered some new and amazing flavor combinations that I probably would of never of done had I been left to my own devices.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HelloFresh US?

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

I signed up and tried to order. The website wasn’t intuitive and had the same meals for two weeks. I ended up canceling and lost my discount. The person on chat tried to assist but it took way too long.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

I got a flyer in the mail to try the service at a discounted rate, so I figured why not. I wasn't horribly impressed with the quality of the meats or the freshness of the produce, but I made do. I decided that the cost just wasn't worth it for the low quality of the product when I could just go to the store and get much better for less, so I cancelled. It has been eight months and I am still getting calls from the company trying to get me to reactivate my plan even after repeated requests to stop calling and remove my number from the calling list. Today I was even accused of threatening the guy on the phone because I stated that they needed to stop calling. Subpar quality foods and rude, harassing phone calls. I do not recommend this service at all.

HelloFresh response

Hi Tammy, thanks so much for sharing your experience. If you're able to give our customer care team a call at 1 (646) 846-3663, we will absolutely be able to remove you from our call list!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

I’ve tried HelloFresh three times. Six meals delivered. 100% wrong each time. I’ve gone through online menu selection. Used the chat function to confirm. Selected specific meals. And they just send what they want. I canceled after the second failure and foolishly signed up again. Same outcome.

HelloFresh response

Hi Stephen, thanks for writing in and sharing your experience with us. Please call us at (646) 846-FOOD (3663) so that we can take a look into this and make it right for you.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

I was gifted a box to try and was super excited about it. I decided to have the box delivered to my workplace as we are open long hours and I knew someone would be there to receive the delivery. Unfortunately my order never arrived. It did say it was delivered though. I reached out to them and they informed me that my delivery was canceled because a previous person had ordered to that address. That is fair, however why wouldn’t they notify me to say they couldn’t delink that address as it had been used before? I would have updated my address for it to go to my home. Instead they canceled without warning and refused to honour the free box. Very bad business ethic. I guess you lost at least 1 potential customer!

HelloFresh response

Hi Tanya, thanks for writing in and letting us know about this. Please contact our Canadian team at 1-855-272-7002 so that they can best assist you with this.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

Today was my first delivery and I was missing 2 meats and the chop meat was leaking and brown. Not a good first experience. I did receive the ground pork for the Teriyaki meatballs and everyone enjoyed that meal. I wish they would just replace the orders they messed up on but they don’t. They gave me credit for the orders that are not complete. My wife wants to give it one more chance. Hopefully they get it right. I would of been happy if they had a way to expedite their mistakes. You need to do better.

HelloFresh response

Hi Damien, we appreciate you writing in and sharing this with us. While we're glad that a member of our customer care team was able to credit your account, we'll be sure to pass this along to our team so that they're aware this happened and can work to make sure it doesn't happen again.

HelloFresh US expert review by ConsumerAffairs

A Berlin-based company with U.S. headquarters in New York City, HelloFresh delivers fresh ingredients and recipes to the customers each week for them to prepare at home. The company even partners with famed chef Jamie Oliver for exclusive recipes.

• Various options: HelloFresh offers options for vegetarians, as well as larger boxes for families.

• Subscription service: HelloFresh sells a "subscription" that automatically renews each week unless you opt out.

• Wide delivery range: The company delivers anywhere in the continental U.S.

• Small suppliers: Food is purchased from smaller suppliers for the freshest ingredients.

• Choose your meals: You can choose which meals you receive each week to suit your own individual tastes and needs.

• Best for: Busy individuals, busy families and people looking to expand their cooking knowledge.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs