It's that easy Request Information
4.06/5
Based on 2,477 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

As a global leader in providing fresh food to consumers' doorsteps, HelloFresh wants to ensure every household has the opportunity to enjoy delicoius and healthy food. They have a variety of meal plans to choose from and each plan includes ingredients that are sourced locally and delivered at a time convenient for their subscribers. Menus and deliveries can be managed through their mobile app and their customer care team is available to answer any questions. Call or visit their site today!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

2700 HelloFresh Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

While I have no problem with the quality of their food having suggested the company to my boyfriend who used HelloFresh consistently for about 6 months before this incident. I decided to subscribe as well and have found that they do not behave like a reputable company or deserving of my business. I attempted to apply a coupon for a discount off my first meal, the coupon did not work but I did not get to that point until after putting my shipping and billing information in, at no point did I go through with the purchase nor did I receive a confirmation email. There was no selection of my meals, as I closed the browser before that part yet I was charged all the same.

Three days later I come home to find a shipment from HelloFresh, after contacting customer service and reporting the error they told me the moment I create an account and input my personal information I agree to their terms of service and was charged for my first order automatically. They refused to refund or credit my account but did close my account down so I would no longer be charged. I am very disappointed in these shady business practices. Buyer beware as creating a user account is all that is required here for them to authorize charging your credit card. I have since warned my entire community and place of work not to stay far away from HelloFresh.

Get expert buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I used to order from Homechef, this time I thought, mmm, let’s try a new provider. Well, I got Barbecue beef meatloaves without any beef, and saucy thyme steak without any steak! I ordered three meals, two of them are missing key components. Complaint to customer service, he gave me $35 in my account, but even to reorder the two meals cost more, don’t mention the shipping cost! I don’t think I will use it again!

HelloFresh response

Hi Jeannie, thanks for reaching out and letting us know about this. Please send us an email to communityteam@hellofresh.com so that we can take a look into this for you.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I was given a ‘gift’ of 3 meals. My wife tore her hamstring so a friend gave us a gift of meals. I used the code given but had to pay a shipping fee of $5.99. But the email sent to me from HelloFresh stated in the subject line: “*friend* sent you 3 dinners for 2 with FREE shipping.” In the body of the email it says, “Picture this: mouth-watering recipes and farm-fresh ingredients get delivered straight to your door, and for the first week, it costs you absolutely nothing. Zippo. Zilch. Nada. Sound too good to be true? Well, you’re in for a delicious surprise because I’ve sent you three FREE HelloFresh meals to try. What are you waiting for? Redeem this code and get cooking!”

Their email said free shipping, no cost and yet to receive the gift I had to pay. I have been back and forth with their support countless times: First they said the code covers the meal but not the shipping. Don’t they read their emails? Then they placed a credit of $5.99 to a future order and apologized. Then they said they couldn’t issue a refund since the credit had already been applied.

They treat their customers as if we are idiots. If they incorrectly credited me $599.00 I guarantee they would’ve corrected that mistake in a flash. Yet they can’t correct their mistake of charging me shipping by crediting my card or issuing a check. I haven’t even had the meals and already I’m so disappointed in this company. Beware, they are not trustworthy.

HelloFresh response

Hi Mark, thank you for reaching out and sharing your experience with us. We checked in your account and see that this has been resolved by a member of our team. We will be in touch shortly with some more details to share with you.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I have been a HelloFresh customer for a while. I love the food, and used to recommend them. For a long time, delivery was timely. Suddenly, meal boxes don’t arrive, the “tracking” link doesn’t track, customer service apologizes and says it’s on its way. But it isn’t, and it arrives late and unfrozen. Then, customer service says the refund is processed. But there is no refund. Then I give them a second chance and all it all happens again. What is going on!?

HelloFresh response

Hi Dedria, thank you for reaching out and letting us know about this. We checked in your account and saw that a member of our team was able to resolve this for you. We will be in touch soon with some more details for you.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

On the whole, my family has been happy with Hello Fresh, but we have experienced a number of issues since starting our subscription several months ago. Twice, an entire meal kit has been missing from our delivery. Three times, the protein has been missing or the packaging has been punctured so we need to replace it ourselves (it's always chicken when this happens - it gets all over everything - whyyyy?) And the produce is sometimes less than fresh. But we love the recipes and the meals themselves have so much flavor that the issues haven't been enough to make us cancel the subscription.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HelloFresh US?

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I joined HelloFresh with a Groupon over a year ago and have been overall very satisfied with the quality, delivery and customer service when needed. However, after a few failed recipes, I came to realize that the recipe cards they include are identical for both a 2 person meal or 4 person meal. The ingredients they send you will match your plan (2 or 4 person) but the instructions on the recipe card seem to correspond ONLY with the 2 person plan. For example, I was making orzo, and the recipe said to add 1.5 cups of water. But that amount was actually meant to correspond to a 2-person plan, NOT 4 person. Not knowing this, the orzo I made ended up not working out because I did not know to double the amount of water. You will see this on all the cards that they issue for 2/4 person meals. It will say, add 1 tablespoon of butter, but you need to know that they mean 2 tablespoons, if you are 4 person.

Nowhere on the card or website does it say "Double measurement for 4 person plan". Seems to be an issue only for the Classic or Veggie plan, as the Family plan is only meant for 4 people. MAJOR oversight on HelloFresh's part. They need to update their recipe cards to put the measurement of ingredient in both formats if they want to use one card for either plan. It could say add (1.5/3 cups) of water, or if they are lazy, Print in BOLD at top of card to DOUBLE measurements for 4 person plan. No way someone would just know it.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Things can and do go wrong in a business. When you are given an opportunity to fix it and you not only fail but you fail at any reasonable attempt to render customer service, this is not acceptable. If you went to the customer service desk at a business and the person failed to be responsive to you and was speaking with several other people at the same time and ignored you would you consider that customer service? It is rude and arrogant to think any company can address customer service in this way.

Since my original action seems to violate the consumer protection laws I guess in this case it would prove to be a really bad idea. I venture to think that I am not the first who have inquired how I was sent an order when I only opened an email from you and looked at the menu and all of a sudden you are sending me an order not only not to my liking or that I ordered. Then to have your representative LIE and say I ordered this delivery is not acceptable either.

HelloFresh response

Hi Mark, thanks for letting us know about this. We'd like to look into this for you. Please send us an email to communityteam@hellofresh.com so that we can take a look into this for you.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I absolutely loved every single thing about HelloFresh. I have gotten a delivery almost every week for ten months. Only been one time I was unhappy, and it was because I just didn't like the dish. I always have friends waiting in the wings when I have freebies to give out. I really think everyone should try it at least one week!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

When HelloFresh sends all the ingredients, these meals are simple to make and tasty. There were many times when one ingredient was missing, the herbs were wilted, or the veggies not ripe enough to use. The first time we called, we got a 50 cent credit. The other times, we got up to a 5 dollar credit however that didn't make the recipe any better nor did it make preparing more convenient - the whole reason we signed up for HelloFresh. What they do have going for them is an app that is user friendly and customer service representatives who are always friendly. In the end, we canceled our subscription with HelloFresh and will be going back to plated.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

My complaint involves several issues with the program, including with the cancellation process and the system pre-selecting meals for you. I was gifted a free 3 day meal plan with HelloFresh and as you are forced to do, I put in my credit card info and proceeded to select my meals after experiencing numerous system difficulties in setting up my account and making my meal selections. I tried to different systems so it doesn't appear the issue was on my end. Due to remembering my credit info was on file, I logged into HelloFresh to cancel my account and found out I had been charged for 3 meals for the week and all were items I could not eat (beef, chicken and pork dishes). I CANNOT EAT these meals and therefore any receipt of them is a waste of time and money.

I reached out to the Customer Service Dept to advise them of the meal issue, the charges for this and to advise that I had cancelled out my account. I did so 2 full days prior to the delivery but was told this was not enough time to do anything about the charges or the system selected meals. I inquired about a redundancy plan for these type of issues and was told by all I spoke with that there was nothing they could do. I find this astounding in the sense that a company such as this does not offer alternative fixes for Customers who have experienced special circumstances and issues that have come up and inadvertently affected their ability to continue with the program, receive a refund or change out preselected orders still within a 2 day window. I am extremely unhappy about my experience with HelloFresh especially considering I am new to the program and now do see anything positive in my experience to speak on or share.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

This was a second chance for Hello Fresh, as a company you guys have fallen so short. Quality of produce wasn't great. Boxes with wrong products & missing products again! Then the topper, a missed delivery. Box came a day late. All ice was melted. Products inside were room temp at best. Your customer service only wanted to give a credit even though I was canceling service AGAIN! Will not be back!

HelloFresh response

Hi Erica, thank you for reaching out and letting us know about this. Please send us an email to communityteam@hellofresh.com so that we can take a look into this for you.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I found a discount for HelloFresh and decided to try it for 4 weeks. It was amazing! I wish I could afford to keep getting it. Having 3 meals a week all packaged individually with instructions was so great after a long day at work. It made week nights so much easier!

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Let’s start with the positive, the food was pretty decent! It was neatly packed which I thought was so cute. My husband and I had a lot of fun cooking it together on a date night (typically I’m the one doing it all). BUT is it worth all the time that goes into prepping and cooking the meals? *NOTE* The delivery guy did not pay attention to my directions and left my package in the wrong spot. I am a stay at home mom/wife of three children whom I homeschool and if the prep time says 10 min that means almost an hr for me. If the cook time says 45 min, that means almost 2 hrs. By the time the meal is cooked and ready to serve my kids have already been snacking and it’s almost time to get ready for bed. The kids and husband likes the meals but all say that it takes way too long and I will have to agree. Date night was fun but for a busy mom like myself it’s just not gonna work out. It’s me HelloFresh, not you ;)

HelloFresh response

Hi Lesa, thank you so much for reaching out and sharing this feedback with us. We will be sure to report this back to our team so that they are aware of this.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

About 2 weeks ago I received a phone call and I signed up again for I believe 2 meals a week, have not gotten a confirmation E-mail or when to order, wondering what happened, you can be sure I will be checking my credit card to ensure I have not been charged for something I have not received. Thank You!!

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

We received a free HelloFresh 3-meal box from a friend. We were not HelloFresh customers beforehand. We did not make another order, but we were automatically signed up for the top 3 meals. We did not make any meal selection, but we were charged $50. When calling customer service to cancel the order and get reimbursed, they refused to work with us. $50 is a lot of money for us, and we were very dissatisfied with the manager that we spoke with. She continued to insinuate that the details of this process were clearly stated in the terms and conditions. However, they were not. We felt marginalized, unheard, and feel that we were manipulated by their system. We would not recommend HelloFresh to our friends and family because they did not value our financial situation and our understanding of the contract.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I love this experience. I have recommended it to many of my friends. The food is delicious. Recipes are easy to follow and I love the extras they give you and ideas on what to do with the extra noodles.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

We’ve been getting Hello Fresh now for over a year & overall have had very few complaints. The new enlarged selection is wonderful. However recently, 2 weeks in a row, our boxes arrived quite beat up, wet on the bottom & ice pack leaked. After contacting customer service, the not only refunded us the cost of an entire weeks box, but corrected the problem! Since then, boxes have arrived in excellent shape.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

The food is excellent but takes too long to prepare and way too many pans and utensils used to prepare. I would of liked an itemized bill per meal to see each week per plate. I was billed a lot more than I added up. Customer service seemed rude and confusing when I tried to talk to her about my bill. I ended up canceling due to non explanation. She did find they overcharged 11.00 for shipping. We will see if I get that credit.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Delivery was supposed to be Wednesday (10/10) and it wasn't there. I called support and was told they didn't know where it was, they'd sent it to UPS 3 days ago (10/7) and that was all she could tell me. My case was then forwarded to Logistics follow-up, who asked in an email Thursday (10/11) morning if it had arrived - it hadn't. I have heard absolutely nothing else and it still didn't arrive later Thursday. Now I'm trying to get a refund for the food that has been sitting in a box, at an unknown location that isn't my residence, for 4 days and counting.

HelloFresh response

Hi John, thank you for reaching out and letting us know about what happened. We saw in your account that a member of our team was able to resolve this for you. Please send us an email to communityteam@hellofresh.com if you have any other questions.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

This service allowed me to receive fresh products on a weekly basis. It encouraged me to try new and exciting recipes that I would have never tried on my own. I only wished I could pay monthly instead of weekly. I am a teacher and I only get paid once a month. Recently, I had to pause my subscription because I just went through a divorce. As soon as I get everything finalized, I will definitely be back.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Here are my thoughts on my HelloFresh experience. I found their customer service to be scripted and unhelpful. I was trialing their service as a meal supplement for the week. I work 12-hour shifts and am only home 1 day a week. Since they don't provide text updates on delivery I had to stay home all day. I didn't even get so much as someone ringing the buzzer to let me know that the food had arrived. That's my first issue, not knowing when perishable food is dropped off at my door.

My second issue is the fact that when I opened the box, I had ingredients for one recipe (without the meat for the recipe included), but instructions on making a completely different recipe. I was allergic to 2 items in the incorrect recipe sent to my home which was the reason I hadn't requested that meal to begin with. When I called customer service to try to resolve the issue, I was credited the amount of the single meal. But I was told there was no way I could receive the third meal for the week. At this point, I have ingredients for half a meal I don't even have the recipe for and I have to go back to the grocery store to supplement for the rest of the week. Crediting me the amount for one meal doesn't accomplish winning me over as a client. I will be canceling my future meals and not ordering from them in future.

HelloFresh response

Hi Natalie, thank you for writing in and bringing this to our attention. Please send us an email to communityteam@hellofresh.com so that we can take a look into this for you.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Love all the meals we've received through HelloFresh! While they are sometimes high in fat and calories for my current diet, I think the instructions are clear and the dishes are a great value. Definitely recommend to everyone we know!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

We love getting our HelloFresh meals and they have all been delicious recipes. My only issues are that I've received moldy tomatoes/limes and brown cilantro. I've worked around it, but I just don't think they should be sending that kind of produce, especially for the price. I also was getting only 2 person recipe cards when I have the 4 person boxes. So I had to know when to double the water, butter etc. And that was very frustrating at times. I've started to receive a few 4 person recipe cards now though, but not all of them. I will say that the recipes are all great! The veggie recipes seem to have a lot less food than the regular meat recipes. All in all we will continue to purchase the HelloFresh boxes. They make my week a lot easier!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Love HelloFresh. Only issue might be wanting a little more food for two people. When one person is a man who needs more protein it makes the meal a little small and I often add more of my own food to it. Two quite small chicken breasts just are not enough.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

We are overall very happy with HelloFresh - the food is good and easy. However, the delivery was made at 8:15 PM, which is 1. Later than promised, even if it's only 15 min. 2. Very late if we are counting on using it on the same day. Consistency in the timing of delivery would be very helpful. Besides that, great product!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I was a HelloFresh customer for over two years. One of my goals was to learn how to cook, which I definitely did. I now am very comfortable with classic cooking techniques, and even got to try using new ingredients I never would have tried otherwise. And nothing beats the convenience. Thank you HelloFresh!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

We have thoroughly enjoyed Hello Fresh! The recipes have been delicious and gives us a break from the normal routine meals we make. The recipe sheet is so wonderful that my 8 year old has cooked every meal so far! Other than the chopping, she is in charge in the kitchen and learning all about different foods and seasonings that we would not normally have because of cost. This process is easy (thanks for the app!), the food is great, and the selection is wide variety. My only suggestion would be to throw in extras (kitchen gadgets, quick dessert, or festive napkins?) and to have the option to not receive all the papers. Everything else is recyclable but I feel so guilty throwing out the papers. I do keep the recipe cards though!!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I like HelloFresh because it's easy to pick meals and everything I need (mostly) comes to my door. Less time planning and shopping has been wonderful for me. My family enjoys HelloFresh for the variety of meals I prepare and we all enjoy working together at some point to prepare and cook the meal!! Has been a life changer for me!!!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

This week meal was supposed to be chicken breasts instead got tenders... flavor was okay, but really not enough food for the dinner I expected. Moldy tortillas one week, really moldy through 3 layers and in the summer vegetables not as fresh as I would expect. Much better produce in the winter months.??

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

Hello Fresh is the best! The ingredients are high quality, whether fish, beef, chicken, or veggie! I have enjoyed every single meal from Hello Fresh and love to cook them with my boyfriend. It has honestly given us a chance to wind down and do something wholesome during our busy weeks. I could not recommend Hello Fresh more.

HelloFresh US expert review by ConsumerAffairs

A Berlin-based company with U.S. headquarters in New York City, HelloFresh delivers fresh ingredients and recipes to the customers each week for them to prepare at home. The company even partners with famed chef Jamie Oliver for exclusive recipes.

• Various options: HelloFresh offers options for vegetarians, as well as larger boxes for families.

• Subscription service: HelloFresh sells a "subscription" that automatically renews each week unless you opt out.

• Wide delivery range: The company delivers anywhere in the continental U.S.

• Small suppliers: Food is purchased from smaller suppliers for the freshest ingredients.

• Choose your meals: You can choose which meals you receive each week to suit your own individual tastes and needs.

• Best for: Busy individuals, busy families and people looking to expand their cooking knowledge.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs