Accredited Partner

HelloFresh
Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.87/5
Based on 5,591 ratings submitted in the last year

HelloFresh states that its goal is to ensure every household has the opportunity to enjoy delicious and healthy food. The company has a variety of meal plans to choose from, and each plan includes ingredients that are locally sourced and delivered at a time convenient for their subscribers. Customers can manage their menus and deliveries through HelloFresh’s mobile app, and its customer care team is available to answer any questions.

BOTTOM LINE

HelloFresh focuses on delivering fresh, healthy food straight to your door. With a variety of recipes and plan types, there’s something to fit most anyone’s needs and tastes.

PROS

• Flexible pricing
  • Can pause delivery
  • Four plan types
  • Easy cancellation

CONS

• Frequent use can get expensive
  • Limited allergy care

Top HelloFresh Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about HelloFresh US?

My husband and I love ordering from HelloFresh! The food is definitely fresh. The recipes are easy to understand and taste great! There's a lot of great variety with the meals as well ... I also like the flexibility of only needing to order two meals a week but if you want more you can.

We have the vegetarian plan because my wife is a lifelong vegetarian, and all the meals have been wonderful. Oftentimes we see other companies doing vegetarian meals that don't have much substance or are not very filling but I can say that has never been an issue with Hello Fresh.

HelloFresh Learn More

How does HelloFresh work?

HelloFresh is a meal-kit company based in Berlin, Germany. The company is one of the largest meal-kit providers in the U.S., and it works using a few simple steps:

1. Choose a plan based on your lifestyle and needs: The company offers four plans — Meat & Veggies (classic), Veggie (vegetarian), Family Friendly and Low Calorie.
  2. Pick your plan size and frequency: Next, decide if you want food for two or four people and whether you want two, three, four or five meals delivered each week.
  3. Await delivery: Your meals are delivered straight to your door at preset times based on your selections.
  4. Start cooking: Your meal kit includes a detailed and easy-to-follow recipe card and all the ingredients you need to make a delicious meal.

HelloFresh menu

Meat & Veggies plan meals include dishes like balsamic fig chicken with roasted potatoes and mixed greens, while vegetarian meals feature dishes like crunchy chickpea shawarma pitas. Low-calorie meal options, like roasted veggie farro bowls, are dietician-approved and around 650 calories each. The Meat & Veggies and Family Friendly meal plans let you curate a personal menu from a selection of 20 recipes so you can mix and match old classics with new recipes.

Each delivery includes fresh, premeasured ingredients and simple step-by-step recipes with nutritional information. The company has a directory of more than 2,500 recipes with total cook times and calories on its website.

HelloFresh recipes

HelloFresh accommodates every appetite, household size and schedule. Every recipe is created by chefs and tested 200 times. Currently, HelloFresh does not offer the option to tailor plans for specific allergies. However, the Meat & Veggies plan can be customized to be beef-free, pork-free or seafood-free.

HelloFresh employs a team of dieticians that review every ingredient for the eight major allergens (wheat, dairy, soy, eggs, nuts, peanuts, fish and shellfish) and discloses the information next to the meal choice on the HelloFresh website. The company states it’s up to the consumer to read and understand allergens in the ingredients.

HelloFresh price

HelloFresh meals start at $7.49 per serving, but the total price is determined by your plan preferences and size. The company offers four core plan types:

• Meat & Veggies (classic)
  • Veggie (vegetarian)
  • Family Friendly
  • Low Calorie

A Meat & Veggies plan for four people who want two meals per week is $8.99 per serving, and a Low Calorie plan for two people who want two meals per week is $10.99 per serving. Each order has a $7.99 shipping fee.

The company frequently includes coupons and discount codes on its website. No contract is required, and the service can be paused or canceled at any time.

HelloFresh FAQ

How long is HelloFresh good for?
HelloFresh states all ingredients stay fresh for the week in which you receive them, but the company suggests using ingredients that don’t store as well, such as fish, at the beginning of the week.
Can I reuse HelloFresh ice packs?
Yes, ice packs may be reused. Alternatively, some areas offer an ice pack return program, or you can recycle the ice packs by emptying the nontoxic gel into the drain with warm water and recycling the plastic casing.
Is there a minimum subscription length?
There is no minimum length for HelloFresh subscriptions. You can cancel your subscription at any time.
Can I skip a week of my subscription?
If you are traveling or would like to hold your subscription for any reason, you can manage delivery dates within your HelloFresh account. Delivery changes must be made before Wednesday at 11:59 p.m. ET for the following week’s delivery.
How does the food stay fresh in transit?
The company uses specially designed boxes with insulating liners, gel packs and cooling material to help food stay as fresh as possible. HelloFresh modifies its packaging based on the season to ensure maximum freshness.

Is HelloFresh worth it?

HelloFresh helps people enjoy a variety of home-cooked meals without having to pore through recipe books and spend time shopping in grocery stores. The range of flavors, options for vegetarian or low-calorie meals and low-pressure commitment make it a great choice. We recommend HelloFresh for its innovation, customization and eco-friendly practices.

HelloFresh Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HelloFresh?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about HelloFresh US?

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

I trust my review will not be cherry picked and positive statements will not be taken out of context to be used in future marketing materials. Intro. I started subscribing to HF in the first week of the covid pandemic. I figured I'll do this for a few weeks until this all blows over and it's safe to go the grocery store again. 9 months later here we are.

The positives.
- The meals are tasty.
- The meals require learning necessary cooking basics that are good skills to have - this experience coupled with the pandemic has led to me to discover a definite passion for cooking.

- Customer service is prompt and generous in addressing any large issues, that is not to say there are not routine small issues that are not worth opening a ticket about that are described below

The negatives.

#1. First and foremost - a complete lack of transparency on true user reviews of certain meals. I would like to be able to visit a recipe and see a full review section from fellow users, complete with a 1-5 star ranking system and most importantly, the ability to read and contribute much more in depth reviews (rather than solely positive feedback that HF cherry picks). For the amount of money that I have spent as a 9 month subscriber I would really like more of a collaborative platform to share feedback on recipes that is accurate and honest and not just good for marketing.

This ties into point #2. I want a relationship and discussion and collaboration to make these recipes better. I need more info than "carb smart" "hall of fame" (What even is the hall of fame? By what metrics are a recipe included in the hall of fame? Why cannot I see a ranking of the recipes in the hall of fame?) You know how many times I have made the figgy balsamic reduction (for chicken or pork)? Do you know how many times I have made the mushroom gravy? I think I have valuable feedback to add but the current review feature seems intent on only capturing small snippets of praise not honest in depth feedback to be shared with other subscribers and used to improve the recipes.

#2. Lack of focus on retention on existing subscribers and limited focus on obtaining new subscribers for the sake of growth. As mentioned above, I am a 9 month subscriber. I am very curious what percentile of HF user I am in with that length of subscription. Have I received any sort of recognition of that fact? Any sort of bonus or reward? Any sort of tiered based rewards system? A free box after ordering 10, 25 or 30 paid boxes? Not a thing. Only more invitations to give out to get more people to subscribe. I fear that the focus on obtaining new users rather than retaining existing new users will be to the long term detriment of a sustainable company.

#4. Quality control. For the premium that this service offers (that I am clearly happy to pay, or should I say have continued to pay begrudgingly), for the simple convenience of having pre measured ingredients delivered, it is unacceptable the number of times I have received loose ingredients that are not appropriately measured out. Carrots and potatoes in particular can be wildly variable in terms of how many one will receive. There have also been multiple instances of small, albeit key, ingredients missing, tbsps of sour cream, dry ingredient packets I don't have on hand, etc.

There were also multiple times early on in the pandemic where the boxes did not arrive on time, or my favorite, arrived one day early, with no shipping notification, so the box sat on the back door of my apartment (the lesser used entrance) for 24 hours with me having no idea it was there. I will say more recently the shipping & tracking notifications have been much more reliable.

#3. Expense - simply not cost effective compared to going to the grocery store. As an otherwise thrifty individual in a relatively inexpensive city, the price point of this service only really holds up against buying take out. That being said obviously the convenience has been valuable enough for me to continue to stick around but regardless it.

Get buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

During the pandemic, I said I'd try a bunch of meal kit services. HelloFresh is the best one so far. Good meal choices, good flavors, free shipping, easy to follow recipes. No other service has beaten HF so far. That said, I can't give it five stars, though, for the following things that need to improve: 1) Sometimes tomatoes come rotten. I've had the same with a shallot or two, but it seems to mostly be a problem with the tomatoes. So, I have to make sure I have a couple of tomatoes on had when this happens. 2) Sometimes ingredients are missing. The base box is for 2 people. I order for 4.

So, for the most part, there should be two of every ingredient for 4 people. That doesn't always happen. For example, I went to make a pasta dish. There was only one bag of pasta instead of two. I double checked the recipe to confirm that there was supposed to be double the amount. Luckily, I had my own pasta on hand to make up for it. Other times, items are just plain missing. In another recipe, the recipe required more use of limes than a usual recipe. Unfortunately, the bag did not come with limes. I had to open another bag to get limes to replace the missing ones, which of course meant I had no limes for the other dish. I have many other examples of items that were missing, but you get the point.

3) The bags of chicken often come unsealed, meaning, chicken juice gets all over the bottom of the box and the other meat packages. The chicken is not spoiled, but it does make a big mess. HomeChef does a way better job at packaging and shipping their meat than HF. 4) Rice dishes never come with enough rice. 1/2 cup for two and 1 cup of rice for 4 people is ridiculous. Not only is it not enough rice for the dish, it definitely does not match the amount of rice in the picture of the meal. If you order a rice dish, make your own rice to supplement the meal. It is a guarantee you won't have enough. It's kind of and odd thing to skimp on. Rice isn't that expensive. It should be 1 cup for 2 people and 2 cups for 4 people. Anything less means that the other part of the dish overwhelms the meal. I wish I had a picture of what their rice portion looks like divided evenly across four bowls. It's a joke.

Not sure if HF reads these, but I would suggest that on your website you have a section that allows customers to report errors with their boxes. Sometimes it's not a huge problem and I don't want any discount, but I would imagine that it would be a great way to get data on how well, or not so well, the service was doing. I realize I can call, but I don't always want to. I just want to write a quick note to tell you what happened. With all of those problems, you might wonder why I have such a high review. Well, for the most part, the service is very good. Mind you, I've compared it to several other meal kit services. HF is the best. The other services don't make as many errors, but the food in HF is the best in many other areas. P.S. The chat on the HF website never works. When I click it, nothing happens.

Original review: May 1, 2020

We have been receiving Hellofresh meals weekly for about 9 weeks, 5 meals a week and we love the experience.. At first the Veggies and meat were great that we received and there was plenty of them but for the last 5 weeks or sometimes we have barely enough to eat... Sometimes 3 little Yukon gold potatoes between the three of us and same with the veggies.. Once I had just half of a broken carrot and that was the only vegetable we had for that meal apart from a small amount of potatoes... Once we had a tiny sweet potato that was meant to be mashed for two but there was barely enough for a child.. I did complain and got some money back but we still did not have much to eat that day..

Overall the meat is good... I wish you would stop giving us Panko Breadcrumbs every time as I find them gritty and don't use them now and again Italian breadcrumbs or plain ones would be nice.. I love the concept and I like making them but we need more veggies and more variety.. Most of the time it's green beans.. Occasionally brussel sprouts.. We had 4 the other day between the two of us... I know people in England that get HelloFresh and they great desserts.. Really nice ones.. We never have them to choose...so desserts please... I am hoping after the Covid-19 virus has got better the veggies and portions may get better.. Otherwise I may just not order from you anymore.. But I am going to carry on for a few more months and see if it improves.. Having said all of that I must say I enjoy many things of it and it's easy to do... and it has helped us a lot during the virus in not having to go to the supermarket so much.. Thanks.

Original review: May 1, 2020

My first couple shipments with Hello Fresh were a little bumpy because I live in a large apartment complex. It seems that the local delivery drivers and my apartment management just had to get used to dealing with the regular shipments. I lost two boxes of food this way and was frustrated. I'm really glad I stuck with it. Hello Fresh has proven itself truly consistent and willing to provide credit where those first shipments were lost or spoiled. I have not had that problem since the first month.

I have been relying on them since December 2019. The quality of food has been impressive. I love that it is perfectly proportioned so that there is very little food waste. I thoroughly appreciate that there is so much emphasis on green and recyclable packaging. It is affordable and has already reduce my time and money at the grocery store. I already have a top 20 meals that I look for every week. The recipes are very tasty. The instructions are easy to follow with consistent results. The proportion sizes per person are what they should be, and I like that I'm no longer dealing with leftovers that do not get eaten.

I am probably most thankful that Hello Fresh has helped my family get out of a food rut where we were making the same meals over and over again. I love the variety and learning fun, new cooking tricks. I love that there are so many little tweaks and minor changes that can totally change a recipe. I have given free boxes to friends and families and loving sharing my positive experience with this company with anyone who wants to listen. Finally, Hello Fresh has been a lifesaver in the midst of this global pandemic. I've only had one shipment delayed by a single day because of delivery services. Otherwise, relying on these meals to come has taken the pressure off at the grocery store with shortages and new processes that make shopping so difficult. I love Hello Fresh. Thank you for taking your role seriously and staying consistent in trying times.

Original review: April 2, 2020

So far my experience with this program has been mostly positive. Though I do have several criticisms to make generally with that said I will also offer solutions so I'm not coming off like a **. There is no place in the initial subscribing nor menus nor app for me to report my specific allergies to remove those items for the menus or to make you aware. Could you make a place for common allergies to be removed from menus. It probably a liability thing anyways.

The meal selection is excellent and provides a cool template for you to work with for a starting, I would like to see few more meals with perhaps a heavier calorie count. The menu global representative of food is also good but I noticed no Indian or African meals so far and that's too bad cause they delicious. But maybe I skipped them? Also there is a lot of rice based meals race or mash. Can we get more salad sides that come with the meals? The delivery service is a little misleading but it's all good. These are touch and go times. Maybe it's just me. It would be cool to get late notifications for shipping for 2 reasons.

1. I was hoping I could count on the set schedule but these are demanding times for all of us here in the US.

2. I need notifications for shipping or late days so I can get a heads up if you're gonna be late. I didn't appreciate being misled because it's really not a huge deal. But I want to need to know when the food is ships because your phone agents said then shipping is safe for 48 hours ideally so if UPS drops the ball I need to know when honestly sent a package so I know if it is safe for consumption.

But the meals were delicious. I like to see more saucier and heavier caloric meals more food from abroad cause I'm broke and can't travel. But yea I think you can fix all that.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

I discontinued Hello Fresh mid-summer 2020. Some items arrived fresh others were old and at times missing. I emailed and they sent them out; but, by that time the next shipment was delivered. I also found myself tossing many veggies because they were old. I was taught to cook for love and use what I had....I do not follow recipes! This program is for people who need to learn to cook and that's not me.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

Due to the power outage, I have cooked two meals, Cranberry Dijon Pork Tenderloin and Gouda Vibes Burgers so far. They are both exceptional. The cranberry dijon sauce is unbelievable as well as the onion and tomato jam is so unique and special.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

Would highly recommend to friends, family or anyone! It arrives like clockwork, the quality of the food is excellent, I use everything that they give and no food is wasted, and limited pans used easy cleanup. I also love all the food choices they give. It's something different and my taste buds love me for it.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

Not happy with FedEx though. They do not follow directions and leave box on front porch. Also the box has been late past month each week. I understand there has been inclement weather but my box is sitting on their truck the day it's supposed to he delivered. My house is 5 miles and only 2 turns from warehouse and roads are clear. The truck drives up and down my street all day. No excuse for delivery to be 2 -3 days late.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

Not sure why I am finally receiving this, but, I ended my membership some months ago because of a series of poor deliveries, in terms of quality of food condition, correct orders, and timely delivery; I was a happy member for years, but the mistakes in aforementioned areas precipitated my departure.

HelloFresh response

Hi Toni, thanks for writing in. Please call us at (646) 846-FOOD (3663) so that we can take a look into this and best assist you.

HelloFresh Company Information