Learn More

2. Shopping
  3. Meal Delivery Service

3.8/5 (5652 ratings)

About HelloFresh

HelloFresh states that its goal is to ensure every household has the opportunity to enjoy delicious and healthy food. The company has a variety of meal plans to choose from, and each plan includes ingredients that are locally sourced and delivered at a time convenient for their subscribers. Customers can manage their menus and deliveries through HelloFresh’s mobile app, and its customer care team is available to answer any questions.

Pros

• Flexible pricing
  • Can pause delivery
  • Four plan types
  • Easy cancellation

Cons

• Frequent use can get expensive
  • Limited allergy care

Bottom Line

HelloFresh focuses on delivering fresh, healthy food straight to your door. With a variety of recipes and plan types, there’s something to fit most anyone’s needs and tastes.

Top HelloFresh Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about HelloFresh US?

Verified

My husband and I love ordering from HelloFresh! The food is definitely fresh. The recipes are easy to understand and taste great! There's a lot of great variety with the meals as ...

Verified

We have the vegetarian plan because my wife is a lifelong vegetarian, and all the meals have been wonderful. Oftentimes we see other companies doing vegetarian meals that don't ha...

How does HelloFresh work?

HelloFresh is a meal-kit company based in Berlin, Germany. The company is one of the largest meal-kit providers in the U.S., and it works using a few simple steps:

1. Choose a plan based on your lifestyle and needs: The company offers four plans — Meat & Veggies (classic), Veggie (vegetarian), Family Friendly and Low Calorie.
  2. Pick your plan size and frequency: Next, decide if you want food for two or four people and whether you want two, three, four or five meals delivered each week.
  3. Await delivery: Your meals are delivered straight to your door at preset times based on your selections.
  4. Start cooking: Your meal kit includes a detailed and easy-to-follow recipe card and all the ingredients you need to make a delicious meal.

HelloFresh recipes

HelloFresh accommodates every appetite, household size and schedule. Every recipe is created by chefs and tested 200 times. Currently, HelloFresh does not offer the option to tailor plans for specific allergies. However, the Meat & Veggies plan can be customized to be beef-free, pork-free or seafood-free.

HelloFresh employs a team of dieticians that review every ingredient for the eight major allergens (wheat, dairy, soy, eggs, nuts, peanuts, fish and shellfish) and discloses the information next to the meal choice on the HelloFresh website. The company states it’s up to the consumer to read and understand allergens in the ingredients.

HelloFresh price

HelloFresh meals start at $7.49 per serving, but the total price is determined by your plan preferences and size. The company offers four core plan types:

• Meat & Veggies (classic)
  • Veggie (vegetarian)
  • Family Friendly
  • Low Calorie

A Meat & Veggies plan for four people who want two meals per week is $8.99 per serving, and a Low Calorie plan for two people who want two meals per week is $10.99 per serving. Each order has a $7.99 shipping fee.

The company frequently includes coupons and discount codes on its website. No contract is required, and the service can be paused or canceled at any time.

HelloFresh FAQ

How long is HelloFresh good for?
HelloFresh states all ingredients stay fresh for the week in which you receive them, but the company suggests using ingredients that don’t store as well, such as fish, at the beginning of the week.
Can I reuse HelloFresh ice packs?
Yes, ice packs may be reused. Alternatively, some areas offer an ice pack return program, or you can recycle the ice packs by emptying the nontoxic gel into the drain with warm water and recycling the plastic casing.
Is there a minimum subscription length?
There is no minimum length for HelloFresh subscriptions. You can cancel your subscription at any time.
Can I skip a week of my subscription?
If you are traveling or would like to hold your subscription for any reason, you can manage delivery dates within your HelloFresh account. Delivery changes must be made before Wednesday at 11:59 p.m. ET for the following week’s delivery.
How does the food stay fresh in transit?
The company uses specially designed boxes with insulating liners, gel packs and cooling material to help food stay as fresh as possible. HelloFresh modifies its packaging based on the season to ensure maximum freshness.

Is HelloFresh worth it?

HelloFresh helps people enjoy a variety of home-cooked meals without having to pore through recipe books and spend time shopping in grocery stores. The range of flavors, options for vegetarian or low-calorie meals and low-pressure commitment make it a great choice. We recommend HelloFresh for its innovation, customization and eco-friendly practices.

HelloFresh Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HelloFresh?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about HelloFresh US?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

I absolutely love using this meal service. I have been receiving Hello Fresh meals for over a year now. I takes so much hassle out of my life. My boyfriend and I use to bicker about "what's for dinner?" every night. I work 60 hours a week and have little to no energy for grocery stores, the hunting for items, making substitutions for items not available, and then over paying for more than what I may use in a week of meals and or getting home and realizing I forgot key ingredients. On top of the convenience the meals are fantastic. We have yet to get a meal we did not like.

I have to also comment on the amazing customer service I continue to receive from the help department when a box is late. I have been compensated correctly and treated with amazing care. I continue to recommend the company and meals. I have sent out so many free boxes to friends and family and all have enjoyed. Thank you again for keeping us full and happy.

Get buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

I trust my review will not be cherry picked and positive statements will not be taken out of context to be used in future marketing materials. Intro. I started subscribing to HF in the first week of the covid pandemic. I figured I'll do this for a few weeks until this all blows over and it's safe to go the grocery store again. 9 months later here we are.

The positives.
    - The meals are tasty.
    - The meals require learning necessary cooking basics that are good skills to have - this experience coupled with the pandemic has led to me to discover a definite passion for cooking.

- Customer service is prompt and generous in addressing any large issues, that is not to say there are not routine small issues that are not worth opening a ticket about that are described below

The negatives.

#1. First and foremost - a complete lack of transparency on true user reviews of certain meals. I would like to be able to visit a recipe and see a full review section from fellow users, complete with a 1-5 star ranking system and most importantly, the ability to read and contribute much more in depth reviews (rather than solely positive feedback that HF cherry picks). For the amount of money that I have spent as a 9 month subscriber I would really like more of a collaborative platform to share feedback on recipes that is accurate and honest and not just good for marketing.

This ties into point #2. I want a relationship and discussion and collaboration to make these recipes better. I need more info than "carb smart" "hall of fame" (What even is the hall of fame? By what metrics are a recipe included in the hall of fame? Why cannot I see a ranking of the recipes in the hall of fame?) You know how many times I have made the figgy balsamic reduction (for chicken or pork)? Do you know how many times I have made the mushroom gravy? I think I have valuable feedback to add but the current review feature seems intent on only capturing small snippets of praise not honest in depth feedback to be shared with other subscribers and used to improve the recipes.

#2. Lack of focus on retention on existing subscribers and limited focus on obtaining new subscribers for the sake of growth. As mentioned above, I am a 9 month subscriber. I am very curious what percentile of HF user I am in with that length of subscription. Have I received any sort of recognition of that fact? Any sort of bonus or reward? Any sort of tiered based rewards system? A free box after ordering 10, 25 or 30 paid boxes? Not a thing. Only more invitations to give out to get more people to subscribe. I fear that the focus on obtaining new users rather than retaining existing new users will be to the long term detriment of a sustainable company.

#4. Quality control. For the premium that this service offers (that I am clearly happy to pay, or should I say have continued to pay begrudgingly), for the simple convenience of having pre measured ingredients delivered, it is unacceptable the number of times I have received loose ingredients that are not appropriately measured out. Carrots and potatoes in particular can be wildly variable in terms of how many one will receive. There have also been multiple instances of small, albeit key, ingredients missing, tbsps of sour cream, dry ingredient packets I don't have on hand, etc.

There were also multiple times early on in the pandemic where the boxes did not arrive on time, or my favorite, arrived one day early, with no shipping notification, so the box sat on the back door of my apartment (the lesser used entrance) for 24 hours with me having no idea it was there. I will say more recently the shipping & tracking notifications have been much more reliable.

#3. Expense - simply not cost effective compared to going to the grocery store. As an otherwise thrifty individual in a relatively inexpensive city, the price point of this service only really holds up against buying take out. That being said obviously the convenience has been valuable enough for me to continue to stick around but regardless it.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

My husband and I have really enjoyed HelloFresh. The meals are delicious, easy to follow instructions and we love eating new things every week. It gets us both in the kitchen together and trying new things and I love that we don’t have leftovers and each meal is the perfect proportion. The only problem I have experienced about 3 times now is that the meat packages leak. This past week was the worst we have had yet, I think maybe the weight of the ice pack ruptures them. This week the ground beef package was leaking so that the bottom of the box was wet, I put it in a plastic bag but in one day (it was delivered yesterday and I took the pictures today) the meat has already changed colors, I probably will not feel comfortable eating it, that’s the worst it’s ever been, maybe you can look into a better way of packing it. All in all though love it and have recommended you guys to my family and friends. :)

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

During the pandemic, I said I'd try a bunch of meal kit services. HelloFresh is the best one so far. Good meal choices, good flavors, free shipping, easy to follow recipes. No other service has beaten HF so far. That said, I can't give it five stars, though, for the following things that need to improve: 1) Sometimes tomatoes come rotten. I've had the same with a shallot or two, but it seems to mostly be a problem with the tomatoes. So, I have to make sure I have a couple of tomatoes on had when this happens. 2) Sometimes ingredients are missing. The base box is for 2 people. I order for 4.

So, for the most part, there should be two of every ingredient for 4 people. That doesn't always happen. For example, I went to make a pasta dish. There was only one bag of pasta instead of two. I double checked the recipe to confirm that there was supposed to be double the amount. Luckily, I had my own pasta on hand to make up for it. Other times, items are just plain missing. In another recipe, the recipe required more use of limes than a usual recipe. Unfortunately, the bag did not come with limes. I had to open another bag to get limes to replace the missing ones, which of course meant I had no limes for the other dish. I have many other examples of items that were missing, but you get the point.

3) The bags of chicken often come unsealed, meaning, chicken juice gets all over the bottom of the box and the other meat packages. The chicken is not spoiled, but it does make a big mess. HomeChef does a way better job at packaging and shipping their meat than HF. 4) Rice dishes never come with enough rice. 1/2 cup for two and 1 cup of rice for 4 people is ridiculous. Not only is it not enough rice for the dish, it definitely does not match the amount of rice in the picture of the meal. If you order a rice dish, make your own rice to supplement the meal. It is a guarantee you won't have enough. It's kind of and odd thing to skimp on. Rice isn't that expensive. It should be 1 cup for 2 people and 2 cups for 4 people. Anything less means that the other part of the dish overwhelms the meal. I wish I had a picture of what their rice portion looks like divided evenly across four bowls. It's a joke.

Not sure if HF reads these, but I would suggest that on your website you have a section that allows customers to report errors with their boxes. Sometimes it's not a huge problem and I don't want any discount, but I would imagine that it would be a great way to get data on how well, or not so well, the service was doing. I realize I can call, but I don't always want to. I just want to write a quick note to tell you what happened. With all of those problems, you might wonder why I have such a high review. Well, for the most part, the service is very good. Mind you, I've compared it to several other meal kit services. HF is the best. The other services don't make as many errors, but the food in HF is the best in many other areas. P.S. The chat on the HF website never works. When I click it, nothing happens.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

We have used Hello Fresh since March of this year and have been relatively happy with the service. The quality of the meat is quite remarkable. The variety of menus has been satisfactory for us. The delivery has been dependable. The boxes are well packed, i.e. we never had a problem even through the high temperatures this summer. My only problem is the quality of the vegetables. The carrots have been so old they cannot be peeled. They are too limp. The potatoes have been black on the inside. The worst problem was with kale that we received this past week. It was in a plastic bag marked "better if used before 02/20". It's November. The kale smelled bad when I opened it, that is why I checked for a 'use by' date.

Of course I contacted the company, and for the third time I connected with a very apologetic employee who offered to message the packing department to be sure it wouldn't happen again. I said, "This has been on going. It's getting to be a serious problem for me. The vegetables had to be tossed almost every other week. I've contacted you twice before and the problem continues." My big concern now is the meat. If the vegetables are past their prime can I continue to trust the meat I am receiving? I don't want a refund or a credit. I want unspoiled produce. I have invited two other families to join Hello Fresh. They are having the same problem we are. I won't be recommending the service to anyone else unless things improve.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

The food is actually pretty good, usually pretty easy to prepare and you can find discount codes everywhere, too bad the delivery service is TERRIBLE! My boxes were RARELY on time, at least one day, sometimes two days late...They will give you a credit for the food that is more than likely spoiled, but you have to keep ordering to be able to use it, which is pointless since about every other week the delivery is delayed so you never catch up. If you decide to take the chance, NEVER EVER order for Monday or Tuesday delivery. It will sit in the warehouse over the weekend and then get delayed at least a day...By the time it arrives it's no good. No joke, even the cold packs have been completely melted. My only other complaint is that the shrimp wasn't packaged very well and would leak out into the box, which after a delayed delivery, you could smell it from a block a way. We are very popular with the stray cats/raccoons in the neighborhood.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2021

I signed up for Hello Fresh to try it for a few weeks and cancel in expectation that I would come back later when family dynamics change. All I wanted was one meal to try but they won't sell one and you have to subscribe. I had a coupon for 16 free meals plus free shipping so I started to sign on for 2 meals a week for 2. During the sign on there was advertising that meals were about $7 each. I also was told I would only be getting 8 free meals at 2 each week due to only subscribing for 2 meals a week for 2.

When selecting the first meal box the total came to about $26. I didn't catch it at first but it should have only been about $14. I cancelled before the second box in time per their rules to not receive any more charges or boxes after the second box with an email confirmation from them. I then received my credit card statement which showed the $26 payment and a $41 plus another $20 payment charged for the second meal. At the same time I received a 3rd box. Upset, I called customer service and was connected to a rep with an attitude. She gave me some story about meals go up in price over for subsequent boxes and the $20 was for an upcharge.

In addition I found out I was charged $60 for the third box and another $13 charge showed a day later. I contested the $41, $20, $60 and $13 charges as overcharged or after confirmed cancellation. The rep said she would refund me but that never happened. Hello fresh lied about the prices, the rep lied about my refund and I had to dispute charges on my credit card as well as change accounts. I will never go back now and anyone else should take heed to caveat emptor with this company.

HelloFresh response

We are truly sorry about your disappointing experience. Our goal is to be as transparent as possible with our pricing. Some of our meals are tagged as Gourmet and are priced per/person and cost more, it's possible you ordered those. We will pass along your comments to our marketing and sales team. Please email us at Hello@HelloFresh.com or call #646-846-3663 and a team member will do their best to help make this up to you. Thanks

Original review: Sept. 5, 2021

I will make this long story short but I had tried to order 5 boxes. All of them which never came. My order would show as delivered and I call Hello fresh to report I did not get my box. They informed me all 5 times they don’t know what happened but I will for sure get my order next week. Customer care is horrible as they know nothing and only say they will document my situation but there is no follow through. I’ve been charged for these orders and haven’t gotten a refund yet as promised! I’m so frustrated because I really wanted to try them out!

HelloFresh response

We are truly sorry about the disappointing experience you had with your delivery. Our goal is to deliver farm-fresh food, on time to your door, with delicious easy-to-follow recipes. We have passed along your comments to our delivery and logistics teams. Our policy is to refund and or credit you for boxes that are not delivered on time. Please email us at Hello@HelloFresh.com or call #646-846-3663 and a team member will do their best to track your order and get you the refund as promised. Thanks

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

It genuinely makes me sad to write this, as I've been a customer of Hello Fresh for nearly a year, and I've really enjoyed most of the food I made. The problem is that aside from occasionally just completely missing ingredients, it became a very common reoccurring issue that the meat I received would be leaking. The way the food is packaged for shipment is a couple ice packs on the bottom, the meats, more ice packs, then the bags of ingredients on top. This means that the meat is sandwiched between 2 layers of ROCK HARD ice packs, with no soft Styrofoam or anything to help absorb shocks. So it's no surprise that the meat arrives leaking, it gets thrown around during shipping and the meat gets crushed.

I've reported this to the company the better part of a dozen times, every time getting them to refund the box (not only does the meat have to be thrown away, any fresh ingredients that get raw meat juice leaked onto it often also need to be trashed, especially if the leaking protein was poultry). Today, the ground turkey I received had a hole in the package, and I decided enough was enough. I called to demand a refund and to cancel the service. The woman I spoke to tried to rip me off, only refunding a little over half of the charge for the box, until I called her on it and she went "Oh whoops, there's a second charge here, I'll refund that too" since this week I had bought a meal that had an additional charge for premium ingredients.

Even with the second refund, I'm pretty sure I still got charged about $15 for this box that I can't get back. And, after all that, the lady I was speaking to actually hung up on me. I will say, most of the customer service reps I've spoken to have been very kind and helpful, this one was an outlier who I reported to her supervisor.

Honestly, it's a shame. The recipes are great, and when the ingredients aren't missing, leaking, (or very rarely spoiled! I have received a moldy bell pepper before!), the food is usually very fresh and tasty. I genuinely have really enjoyed cooking with Hello Fresh, but as far as I'm concerned they forced my hand. I refuse to start every Saturday by opening a box, wondering if I'm about to get upset that I received leaky meat that means I then have to A) call customer support to get a refund and complain, and B) Go to the market to replace the meat.

It's stressful, and the entire point of my family using this service was so that I wouldn't need to go to the market as often during the covid quarantine. Hello Fresh should be ashamed of themselves, sending out leaking meat so consistently (literally more than 50% of the boxes I've received in the last 2 months, a total of 8 boxes, had meat that was leaking). Do better, and maybe I'll return someday, but nobody should pay for a service that so regularly screws up.

HelloFresh response

We are truly sorry about the disappointing experience you had with your delivery. Leaking meats is not okay with us. Our goal is to deliver farm-fresh food, on time to your door, with delicious easy-to-follow recipes. We have passed along your comments to our quality control team. Please email us at Hello@HelloFresh.com or call #646-846-3663 and a team member will do their best to make this up to you and get you back cooking with us soon. Thanks

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

I am new to this and I tried this company but it just didn't work out. First, I was not able to choose my meal perhaps computer glitch. Then the delivery was another issue perhaps another computer glitch. Customer service weren't helpful each times I called. I was not informed of my food choice and/or delivery time. I suggested that perhaps they need to be retrained on how to deal with customers but was informed they didn't need training. I am just not happy at all with overall service with this company. One positive note was that the meal were really good and packed well as well as clear instruction.

HelloFresh Company Information