HelloFresh

Compare Meal Delivery Services

Research top Meal Delivery Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Dishonest practice. Door to door sales rep promised nothing would be taken out of account without agreement. He just needed account details for first free box. Following boxes arrived for $70/week. Luckily recorded name and ID of rep, and handwritten note. Didn't explain it was a recurring subscription.

I had a coupon for $50 off HelloFresh and thought I'd give them a try. The first box arrived, and upon opening the box and insulated box we found three neat boxes on top, cardboard, and frozen ice pack with the meats on the bottom. The steak package had leaked and there was blood and water in the bottom of the bag. No big deal, I washed the meat packages and all went to the fridge.

Meal one we had that night. There were 5-6 little potatoes we were to cut up. One had a sizable black spot which I cut out, the scallions were pretty old and one leaf was badly wilted. Not a good start. The recipe called to butterfly the chicken breast and pound to 1/2" thickness. Well it's hard to pound something thats already 1/4" thick to 1/2". All told the meal was tasty but surely not fresh.

The second meal has the same issue with old vegetables, and the sirloin that had leaked was 'aging'. Again tasty but I could do a better job with the ingredients. The third meal was Poblano peppers and Jalapeño. Both of these were wrinkled and soft. And once again the meal was tasty, but the ingredients were less appealing for a company with the name of Hello FRESH. I've canceled my account. Blue Apron has nothing to worry about from this hack group.

HelloFresh is the answer to my dilemma of "what to cook tonight"! I am so pleased with the service! I have only been with them a short while, but so far am so pleased with the recipes, the variety, and the way the meals are separated. Last week I had "Pesto" and pine nuts in a recipe which I seldom would make because the items are expensive and I would have thrown most of it out! I love that I only need to shop for the basics now and I no longer throw out food! I was wasting so much food before HelloFresh. I am actually saving money! My only complaints are: I am not sure of the sourcing of the food and the packaging. The packaging protects the food very well, but must be recycled. I can't wait to see what my box includes this week!

When my fiance and I started ordering HelloFresh we thought it was delicious and easy for us to make after a long night of baseball with our kids. However, it gets pricey so we decided to pause our account and just do it as we could afford it. This afternoon my fiance gets an email saying we should have a box coming on the 3rd. I asked him why he ordered it this week and he said he didn't. We called HelloFresh customer service and they said You could only "pause delivery" for a couple of weeks and then they start automatic deliveries.

This isn't something that is mentioned when you have the option of pausing your account. We asked them to cancel the delivery and just refund our money and they said they could not do that and we would have to take the box and just deactivate our account if we didn't like it. So we did. How this company plans on staying in business if this is how they treat their customers is beyond me. If people don't like getting money taken from them without knowing I'd say order the 50% off first box offer and then cancel. Don't just pause the account because they will charge you and when you call they won't give you back your money.

Buyer Beware!!! Don't do it... It's not worth the money! HelloFresh first of all, does not provide the details of where the food is coming from. I know I cancelled my account, but somehow they are charging me again and telling me on a Saturday morning that it's too late to refund my money, although no product has been received. This company is sneaky and deceptive!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HelloFresh?

I was sure I canceled my account a month ago but I received a box today and when I called customer service they told me "No, you just paused your account but never canceled it." So, of course no credit. Some background, I ordered a promo box the end of February and was not at all impressed so I canceled the service. No problem at that juncture. Then I got a please come back email so I decided to give them a second shot and ordered a box the end of March. That one was worse than the first so I am pretty sure I canceled. They say I just paused the account, I thought I canceled. They offered me a future credit for two meals off the next order if I decide to come back. Really, why would I order again? I'm not looking for self abuse so I won't but I will dispute the charge on my credit card. I may not win but they will have to work for it.

After reading other reviews what more can I say! Not only is this unethical business practice, they also do not hold up to claims of organic and being earth friendly. With all of the complaints, I am surprised no one has looked into their business. What they are doing can't be right. They should clearly state that there is a timeframe for deactivation. How can this company stay in business?

Cancelled after the free trial. Never received any emails from them until they sent out the second box of which they charged our account an additional $70. When I called about a refund, I was told they will not issue a full refund but would send me a complimentary box worth $70 instead...they stole from my bank account after I cancelled and I will be seeking out others who have had this problem.

My girlfriend received a free promo code from a friend and we decided to use it, but to do the free promo she had to put in her credit card info. The issue is she ended up after the free promo box was shipped her credit card got hit for 60 bucks and she never signed up for anything. She called their customer service line, and the rep was extremely rude! Said it was her fault because she did not read the fine print and that they were still going to send out the next package even after she asked to not receive it. Then proceeded to tell her they will not refund her money. This is bait and switch and their customer service is awful along with their food being sub par. Good luck keeping long term customers with terrible customer service.

Ordered one box to be delivered by Saturday. Was very excited to try this service. The time they said you must be home to receive the box was between 8am to 8pm. It was a 98 degree F day and I was scared the food would spoil left at my doorstep. So I waited. Nothing ever came. Chatted with the rep in Monday. They said they will refund my payment. I don't think anything even left the warehouse. Her response was too quick and unapologetic. How disappointing. I hope my refund comes. This is so dumb. Why have a company if you do not send out the products? How would you stay in business? Do not order. Waste of time.

A box that I did not order was delivered to my home. I called the company to cancel and request a refund. Apparently, this company does not believe in refunds for ANY reason, even if they send you rotten food! Lucky for me the credit card number turned out to be bogus. And, although the shipping address was incorrect, the box was still delivered. Anyway, there was nothing right about this transaction and I believe it's a scam created by the company themselves.

We have been using HelloFresh for about 4 months. Had great food delivered fresh until they recently switched weekday service from FedEx to laser ship for delivery purposes. Last two weeks the delivery has either been past 6 pm at night or never even showed up. Our last experience was a package that arrived after 9:45 pm and wasn't discovered until the next morning on the front stoop. Laser ship stated that it was delivered at 6:45 pm the night before. No signature is required so they can say it came whenever they want. It certainly wasn't there at 6:45 pm or anytime close to that time. Waiting to hear back from them. Seems like they went cheap with the delivery service and it may cost them yet another account.

I was offered a £1 box to try and this was supposed to come on the Tuesday so I had the option to cancel on the Wednesday if I didn't want it for the next week. However they changed my order to Thursday so I had no option to cancel. On the Thursday morning £35 was taken out of my account. I called them and they were not helpful and wouldn't give me a refund. Very annoyed. I feel I was tricked into paying them £35.

Straight up False Advertising! Just like the old saying "There's no such thing as a Free Lunch", well I'm here to tell you "There's no such thing as a Free (HelloFresh) Box". When I tried to redeem my "Hand Them this" CARD to claim my FREE BOX (in 3 EZ Steps ha, ha) it was not possible without paying money. Granted it was only a buck just to get all my payment info into their system but hey a buck is a buck, just like FREE should be FREE! I for one will never do business with such a dishonest Company that will purposely lie & mislead you.

I had created an account and deactivated it after a couple of months. Not for any bad reason. My schedule just became hectic and I never knew when I was going to be in town. I later reactivated it to use a Groupon and deactivated it. Sometime later I received a we miss you offer and took them up on it. Once again I deactivated it. Unbeknownst to me, using those offers created multiple subscriptions under one email address. It wasn't until I received a notification from UPS four months later saying a package was on the way that I learned about this. I immediately disputed the charge with my credit card company under the premise that I was certain I had deactivated my account and had the email notification to prove it.

When I called HelloFresh, they explained I had three subscriptions and I only deactivated two. They also said they couldn't do anything about because the package was on the way. That wasn't true. My credit card company sided with me (Kudos Capitol One) and reversed the charge. No box ever came because HelloFresh reversed the shipment in transit with UPS. This is a deceiving company. Consumer beware.

What's great is that you don't buy more food than you need. You get precisely the amount of everything the recipe calls for. This means you don't buy a head of broccoli when you need a few pieces, for example. The recipes are amazingly easy and tasty. My biggest issue is that there is no indication of where this food comes from, what level of quality it actually is (organic, non GMO or not?), it's all private labeled with no indication of source. The rest of my comments are a little picky, like why package things in bags you need scissors to open? My hands are busy cooking! But truly, it's a good service at a fair price, although I'd prefer just ordering when I want a shipment because otherwise it's easy to get backed up!

I placed an order for the "free" trial. I received a package a week before I was supposed to, and it was not what I wanted... included shrimp and I am allergic to. Called the company and they advised they saw my order was not to have started until the following week. Said they would send it at a charge. Asked my account be cancelled. A month later I received another box. Upon contacting them I was advised the account had been "paused." When I asked how it got "un-paused" they could not explain that. Requested a refund to no avail. Had to dispute the charge to get a refund (still working on it) and am going to report HelloFresh to the BBB. I believe this is how they make money... luring you in with the "free" offer then sending boxes you do not request. Seems like these are the cause of most complaints in reference to this company.

About nine months ago I signed up for HelloFresh, one of quite a few companies currently sending out boxes of ingredients for cooking fresh home-cooked meals. As a single person, I was a little concerned that the food would go to waste, as the smallest plan they offer is 3 meals for 2 people at between $59 (Vegetarian plan, which includes dairy and egg items along with a good variety of vegan style dishes) and $69 ("classic" with a variety of meat, poultry, seafood, shellfish, and other ingredients). I was quite happy with the service and remain convinced that they are the best choice for variety and quality for the price. The meals are well balanced, portion control is appropriate, recipes are easy to slightly difficult (mostly easy) and the longest stated time for a recipe I've received was 50 minutes.

One thing that HelloFresh has done quite well is in packaging: All ingredients come sorted into lightweight recycled/recyclable cardboard boxes labeled so that you know where everything goes. Herbs are in clamshell cases (which DOES matter), eggs in a recycled cardboard "nest", etc. The items that need that extra cold are under ice at the bottom of the box, with a cardboard layer to keep the upper "compartment" from cold damage, and they use the thermal bubble wrap bags that other ingredient services also use. (All the companies I used protect the meats and other cold-needing groceries in the same way, and one company, Green Chef, uses recycled materials in their insulation, which seems to be a little less protection than the silver thermal bubble wrap bag.)

The point is that with the addition of the separating boxes, with HelloFresh the food is secure and seldom damaged (exceptions a couple of times but nothing completely ruined... and the damage was obviously done in transit or in one instance when a box apparently got TOO cold in a hard freeze). This extra packaging might seem like waste but it protects the food much better than the other services I've used, so that things don't shift around as much as they would packed loose together, so it's worth the little extra to the recycling bin on garbage day. By comparison, Blue Apron, who I have used twice, puts most of the ingredients (except fragile items like eggs) loose in the box, as does Home Chef and Green Chef, which has led to crushed herbs and greens that began to rot before I could use them.

Delivery is the only area where I had initial issues: Despite the note "ring buzzer; leave inside" the boxes were left at the front of the building. Had similar issues with deliveries from the other companies and figured out why: The delivery service that they use services a large number of residents in just the condo where I live, and in order to do it "on time" I know that at least one of the drivers enters in the deliveries as "delivered" before ever arriving at the condo. Caught him red handed one Sunday morning as he drove up 30 minutes AFTER the stated delivery time. And they apparently aren't given time to ring each address to be sure the boxes get inside. So it's the delivery service policy... Locally they use LaserShip who are notorious for never ringing and dropping boxes at a near run. But fortunately, our condo residents are kind enough to bring boxes off the pavement inside, so I have never lost a box.

The upshot of all this narrative is that HelloFresh is my favorite with good variety in recipes, good choices for each week's box, flexible plans, and good packaging. Blue Apron comes in second, and Home Chef would be great if I needed huge portions. Green Chef was disappointing because of the damaged greens (and with the Vegetarian menu, most everything in the box was greens), and the flavor profiles weren't as nice as HelloFresh or Blue Apron. I did like Green Chef's concept, all organic produce and much of it from Colorado's agricultural riches... but the concept and the food didn't quite match up.

Value for money, good food fixed at home... fewer trips to the grocery store, and very, very little waste from buying too much of any meal ingredient... all you need is cooking oil, butter (which they sometimes send anyway), salt and pepper. One last thing: For years I "cooked like a bachelor" so I did not have much cooking equipment at home when I started using HelloFresh. I invested in 2 good Scanpan frying pans and a good chef's knife and got a really good half-sheet size baking sheet for roasting (which you will do a LOT of with any of these services), and a couple heatproof cooking spatulas, and a good wood cutting board, all of which have made the experience easier. It really is a joy to feed myself and wind down preparing dinner after work.

I used HelloFresh one time and determined it was not a great fit for our family. I felt like it was overpriced for the portion size. I suspended my service instantly with them. A few weeks later they charged my credit card $60 without even letting let me know. This unauthorized transaction is basically stealing my hard earned money from my family! I contacted customer service and they would not refund my money and informed me that I only "Paused" my subscription and it automatically restarts on its own. They are basically putting the blame on me.

This type of thing should be outlined better on their website, but they are more concerned about scamming people out of their money. I finally was able to locate and "deactivate" my account completely. It takes you to around 10 different screens before you can complete it. They also will blow your e-mail up with marketing campaigns. DO NOT GIVE THIS COMPANY YOUR CREDIT CARD!!! YOU WILL REGRET!!!

I got an initial 50% off box and canceled the day after I received it, well within 5 day cancellation limit. No confirmation email of this, but I didn't think much about it until I get a notification of another week billing of about $60! So I again attempted to cancel, and again it looked like it went through... again no confirmation email. Next day I call customer service and did not get a satisfactory resolution. "We have no history of you canceling, I'm sorry." That was it!! Very frustrated with this company and feel either their software is not working or this is intentional. In any event, you are taking your chances if you sign up with this company. They will charge you for product you don't want. I've now filed a claim with PayPal, so hopefully I will get my money back. About the food - it was OK, nothing that special. It was fresh, I'll give them that, and it came on time.

I moved recently and another HelloFresh customer sent me a promotion invite. I attempted to use it, yet HelloFresh didn't apply the promo and just charged my card. I tried to cancel online, but was charged and sent a box. I tried to cancel online again and it appeared successful, but again was sent a box and charged. Tonight, I received yet another notice that a box was on the way and called the service line. A rep told me that despite my attempts at cancellation, I will not be reimbursed. She explained that because I had not verified my cancellation by checking for a HelloFresh email, it was my fault. So at every touch point with your Hellofresh, the experience has been poor. It's taken 3 attempts and a call to cancel.

I ordered Hello Fresh initially because they were doing a special on first delivery 3 meals for 2 people for only $19.00. Yes please! They sent me rice and shrimp, Panko chicken with baby spinach and the Lucy juicy burger. The ingredients are VERY FRESH! Hello! The rice and shrimp was delicious. I called last night their number to express my happiness in that recipe. Tonight I made the Panko chicken. The baby spinach was very Fresh but the chicken lacked taste/spice. So far, I really like HELLO FRESH! Delivery was no problem. The food is Fresh. Overall: I am ordering again.

At first, I thought this food delivery was going to change my life! It seemed like such a great idea because I am so busy working full time as well as a full time mom and wife. It's hard to think of meals to cook every night and make it to the grocery store to get all of the ingredients to prepare the meal! So, a friend recommended this service to me and I went with it! The first issue I have is that the meals are supposed to be kid friendly but my kids (2 & 7) ate maybe two out of 16 meals. They were not into all of the different spices and onions and peppers used in preparing most of the meals offered. Their plates laid there untouched most nights. :( Although, my husband and I did enjoy most of the meals, but to say that they are "kid friendly" is not a true statement!

Second, I received a lot of packages with veggies that were NOT fresh. Some came brown (cauliflower, broccoli) with a pungent odor. Some came moldy (moldy garlic), or did not come at all (missing produce) to make the meal! Very upsetting when you are in the middle of cooking dinner and you are missing ingredients that you paid for!!! One meal came with an open meat package! How hard can it be to inspect the meats and produce before packaging rotten produce or open meat packages! I did let the open meat package slide and did not call and complain but with this last delivery, I couldn't stay quiet anymore! (I canceled the service the week prior, so this was the last delivery for us). Then there is the HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

I went to make dinner last night and was in the middle of the meal when I went to go grab an ingredient and it was missing!!! And as I started going down the list of the other ingredients, there were even more missing ingredients that were the main part of the meal!!! But, there were nine other ingredients in the box that had nothing to do with the meal that I was preparing! I was fed up! I called customer service and the guy I spoke to was not caring at all! He acted like I was a bother for calling. He then stated that he can credit my account but I told him I canceled my service! He said "Well, when you come back you will have the credit." "We credit food for food and that's all we can do." I then asked if he can just send one additional meal out and he said he could not for whatever reason! Then he started getting defensive towards me! Ugh! So glad I canceled! Do NOT put yourself through this! Save yourself from the nuisance!

Their food is absolutely disgusting. Then to make matters worse they have terrible customer service. The man I spoke to was rude and sounded ghetto, completely unprofessional. Then they put the supervisor on the phone who acts the same way. If I could get them absolutely no stars or negative points I would. It's overpriced, they do not give you any seasonings, so if you just use what they give you the food will be bland. PLEASE the other reviews of people saying their food is good, have to be people who completely cannot cook and they have never tasted good food before. Again do not waste your money, and especially do not put your credit card information on their site. Even if your account says deactivated, they will still charge you. I wish I could show the screenshot to prove my point.

Avoid this company. Website and app make suspending service difficult, as well as termination of the subscription. The recipes are nice, but the quality of the protein is average, and the overall "freshness" of the produce is not that fresh. My strong recommendation is to avoid this company.

I placed order and was promised it would be delivered on a Monday. Order never came. I called to ask about the status of order. Customer service rep only kept saying that he had no idea where the order was. He insisted it was shipped. Since it was a free offer, he said he could not refund me. I agree. But what about making good on your offer? Believe it is a scheme to get you to put credit card info in and hope you won't cancel in time. I cancelled. Still need to verify I have not been charged. See others have been scammed. Not a good thing to take a chance with.

I've read several reviews about delivery issues... I also had a bad delivery experience but it was totally on UPS, not HelloFresh. Delivery instructions from HelloFresh clearly stated Leave At Front Door. However, the UPS delivery driver either didn't read instructions or was too lazy to climb the two flights of stairs to my apartment so he left it with my leasing office (my apartment is in the building right next to the leasing office). I put that delivery note on there because I am never home when the leasing office is open, except on Saturdays. Not a good thing for a Tuesday food delivery. I contacted HelloFresh, they figured out where the box was delivered and promptly gave me a free week and told me how I can follow up with UPS so this doesn't happen again. Great customer service from HelloFresh.

Three separate times I had issues with my box. The final time, no email was sent to me requesting that I check my meals before they shipped. The only email I received was from UPS stating that a package was on the way. I was charged $69. The agent then said that maybe it had gone in my spam or junk folder. (as if that is supposed to be my responsibility to monitor?) It had not. Still, I was only offered a credit to my account and I requested a refund. Their answer? Sorry Charlie. Go to hell Hello Fresh. When are people going to start filing lawsuits over this sort of unauthorized behavior? And when did companies stop giving a ** about their customers?

I've been using the service since December. I get 6 meals per week, so no meal planning worries 3 nights a week for my daughter and I. I typically use the service 1-2 weeks per month. My meals are delivered on Tuesdays. They've never been late or missing. The packaging has been consistently good. Meat is always cold and placed on the bottom of the box in direct contact with cold pack. I've never received anything with broken seals. Vegetables are always fresh. Everything I need is always included. Just need to stock olive oil and butter. The included directions are fantastic. Large, colored print, heavy stock paper. You get a list of ingredients included plus list of equipment needed to make the meal. Step by step instructions are easy to follow.

I've only contacted customer service once in the beginning to ask how to pause delivery right away so I wouldn't get a backlog of food I couldn't use or didn't like. I spoke with a pleasant woman who helped me readily. I've had no subsequent reason to contact customer service. The shipments can be paused for as long as I like. I have little to no trouble managing my deliveries. I select my meals or pause them for as needed. I use the website and not the phone app since I’m in front of the computer all day. The food has been great. A lot of the vegetable side dishes are prepared roasted in the oven. Wish I would've thought to do that a long time ago. The recipes are not what I would normally cook or call traditional but they are close enough that I would call them updated or modernized versions of traditional recipes. The whole process is easy and the food is tasty and healthy.

I received a free trial from a co worker, after receiving my husband and I agreed it wasn't worth the price. I paused the account thinking I wouldn't get charged, a month later I was charged for another box. I called customer service immediately and they were very rude. They send out free boxes every day but couldn't reverse my charge ONE time and cancel my subscription. Any other company I have ever dealt with has been forgiving but not this company. All they care about is money and the customer is the last thing on their mind. I don't recommend anyone deal with this company.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

A Berlin-based company with U.S. headquarters in New York City, HelloFresh delivers fresh ingredients and recipes to the customers each week for them to prepare at home. The company even partners with famed chef Jamie Oliver for exclusive recipes.

• Various options: HelloFresh offers options for vegetarians, as well as larger boxes for families.
  • Subscription service: HelloFresh sells a "subscription" that automatically renews each week unless you opt out.
  • Wide delivery range: The company delivers anywhere in the continental U.S.
  • Small suppliers: Food is purchased from smaller suppliers for the freshest ingredients.
  • Choose your meals: You can choose which meals you receive each week to suit your own individual tastes and needs.
  • Best for Busy individuals, busy families and people looking to expand their cooking knowledge.

Compare Meal Delivery Service