HelloFresh
    1903
Based on 3,655 ratings submitted in the last year

HelloFresh

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

As a global leader in providing fresh food to consumers' doorsteps, HelloFresh wants to ensure every household has the opportunity to enjoy delicoius and healthy food. They have a variety of meal plans to choose from and each plan includes ingredients that are sourced locally and delivered at a time convenient for their subscribers. Menus and deliveries can be managed through their mobile app and their customer care team is available to answer any questions. Call or visit their site today!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

3892 HelloFresh Consumer Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: May 11, 2019

HelloFresh has changed the way my husband and myself are eating now, in a positive way. It literally has changed our lives! We are a couple in our early 60’s and I’ve always been the primary cook, until HelloFresh. Cooking meals for me had become boring and repetitious. It had become depressing to cook for the two of us, oftentimes we’d go out to eat because we couldn’t decide what to cook. We both work full-time jobs; I’d come in from work either too tired to want to cook or my husband, who only grilled meats at the time, wouldn’t feel like grilling. Now after 42 years of marriage with me the primary cook he’s now in the kitchen cooking too and it’s a freakin’ miracle!!! We look forward to our meals coming and we are eating out so much less. In fact, since we’ve started HelloFresh we don’t have the cravings for restaurant fare like we used to do. After a meal we’ve prepared we honestly feel as though we’ve been out to eat! My only wish is that we could afford HelloFresh for every evening, but we cannot now.

My only comments/suggestions has to do with the vegetables. As I’ve shared in the past, you offer a great deal of green beans, potatoes and broccoli. We’ve grown tired of those and do get excited when we see asparagus or salads offered. We would love to see more of a variety in the vegetable line, such as: English peas, Blackeyes, Bell Peppers, Brussels sprouts, Spinach, Fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, etc. Also next year, for Mother’s Day, I would love to purchase the breakfast brunch, but only if it was available for two and not for four persons. I was disappointed because it looked so good, but it was unrealistic for us because it would have been way too much food. My daughter’s live away and there wasn’t anyone else who could enjoy the brunch with us. It would have been an honor for my husband to have prepared the meal for me.

Last comments - you may want to suggest on your recipe cards for the meals which include fresh herbs, like green onions, parsley, sweet basil, etc. immediately upon receipt to open the brown bags and remove them from their packaging. My suggestion is to place them in a glass container filled with cool fresh water, until ready to use them. Every day they should additional fresh water to the container and leave them in a sunny location. I’ve learned the hard way when I’ve had to throw out some herbs because they wilted /rotted beyond use while in the refrigerator in the original container. They keep so much better this way - and in fact, I’m growing basil that I had left over. It rooted in the jar so I’ve planted it and it is doing well in my kitchen! Now I’ve started green onions and parsley, hopefully they will do well too. Thank you HelloFresh for changing my world and making food preparation something fun again!!!

Get expert buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Where to begin to describe how wonderful our experience has been with Hello Fresh. First, the packaging. Living in Florida where variable temperatures can spike into the low 90's even in "winter" having perishables delivered to one's doorstep can be perilous. Well, no worries there. The food is packaged so beautifully with sufficient ice packs so that everything arrives in perfect condition. The recipe cards are gorgeous and clearly demonstrate the entire preparation process and even what kitchen tools will be needed. Although my husband and I love to cook we chose HelloFresh due to our hectic schedules. All too often we had no plan for what our dinner would be only to end up with unsatisfying, substandard and overpriced takeout. HelloFresh insures that we will have delicious meals on hand which we know we can plate within 45 minutes.

We have tried quite a few HelloFresh selections and there have been none that we haven't thoroughly enjoyed. The chefs have developed many great pairings and share their talent down to beautiful plating suggestions. We are so impressed that all of our dinners to date have been deemed photo worthy. We have fun sending photos to family and friends. No matter what the circumstances are in your household it's gratifying to know that a gourmet style meal made with fresh ingredients can be delivered to your doorstep. And, more importantly, you can have fun cooking it yourself. Be prepared for "compliments to the chef" for a delicious meal.

When considering the price point my husband and I feel HelloFresh is a bargain. We have grown to despise spending lots of money on fresh herbs at the grocery store only to throw away unused portions. With HelloFresh you'll get what you need to prepare each meal. You'll never again go through the pain of seeing expensive specialty condiments and fresh herbs go into the trash. So many thanks and kudos to HelloFresh for a superlative product.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I have used the Hello Fresh program for more than a year now, and I do like it very much overall. I enjoy cooking, but I do NOT enjoy shopping, and deciding on menus, and Hello Fresh's main virtue, for me, is that they eliminate those chores, along with providing appealing options and ingredients that are ready to go with minimal fuss (as much as possible, at least). Their customer service staff is quite helpful and responsive, and in the rare instances where I've had a problem, they have been very quick and helpful in solving it.

I've also learned a few things from them about cooking--and they do seem to make an effort to limit the number of pans and dishes that have to be dirtied to prepare the meal. If there is a downside, it's that the portions are not very large, so if you are feeding two people, you'll never have leftovers (and I like leftovers). If one of the diners has a large appetite, he or she might well come away unsatisfied.

Another downside, for me, is that the price seems barely reasonable, especially for some of the menu items (the meal I had tonight, for instance, was quite good, but had very inexpensive and basic ingredients). If a menu item has something unusual in it (like a decent cut of beef, or a small duck breast--still small portions, by the way) the price goes up substantially, and some items go up as much as $8 **per person,** which brings the total cost up to $36 for the meal, and still with small portions and no leftovers.

At this point, for me, the law of diminishing returns sets in. However, this hasn't been enough to make me unsubscribe, and I remain pretty enthusiastic about the meals I make with Hello Fresh ingredients and coaching. Most of them really are restaurant quality, very impressive, with truly delicious pan sauces with most meals, and nice plating instructions. I am proud to serve them to friends, and I've almost never had anything less than rave reviews. So, in short: I would recommend the service, if you like to cook and value the convenience they offer, and value flavorful and special meals (which I do). But I don't know that I would do it assuming it's a huge BARGAIN, or assuming that it will save you a lot of money at the store.

To me, the good definitely outweighs the bad, and I remain a fan -- so I say give it a try, since you don't really have to take a price risk to try, and you can cancel at any time. I believe they are an honorable company, given my experience with their customer service (they once refunded the price for an entire meal for me because the kale had gone bad when I received the box). Overall: thumbs up from me.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I was first worried that by the time my meals (or rather meal kits) arrived they would be in a sad state - but they were not! They add PLENTY of ice as well as insulation so everything is nice and cold despite whatever time your box arrives. I should know I've had everything from a 5 am arrival to a 8 pm arrival. I always enjoyed cooking - just never enjoyed gathering everything up only to have the recipe taste gross. Thus far everything I have tried has been great and all the recipes I have done have been easy to follow (despite sometimes missing a step in the directions. For example sometimes you are never told when to put the topping on a piece of chicken before it goes into the oven only to see in the next steps image that the topping is cooked thus you have to assume it was placed the same time the chicken went into the oven.)

I was a Friday delivery day - however, I went from a morning arrival to a night arrival, which didn't work for me considering I was waiting for the delivery to arrive so I could begin cooking my meal for the day. I moved to a Thursday delivery and noticed a big change in the produce I received. On Friday deliveries the produce I received was starting to wilt versus Thursday everything looked like you had just picked it out at a supermarket. The first few weeks for Thursday delivery were amazing at the arrival time, this last delivery, however, arrived around 8 pm which is good and bad I just wish it was more consistent but you really can't ask for much.

Honesty, Thursday has become my most favorite day of the week because of Hello Fresh. I enjoy cooking and Hello Fresh makes it really simple and easy to follow. I can honestly say that I have really stepped outside my usual "flavor profiles" and discovered some new and amazing flavor combinations that I probably would of never of done had I been left to my own devices.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I have subscribed to HelloFresh for a few years now and recommended it to many friends and family. It brings families together across the country, I will be talking to my Mom in Arizona and she will be making the same dinner that I am here in Virginia! I love that HelloFresh has slowly changed over time but hasn't seemed to get "too big" for itself and the recent addition of more recipes and the premium meals has been great.

You can easily adjust your delivery date or skip a week to suit your needs. There's nothing better than coming home from a long vacation and timing your delivery to be right there so you don't have to run out to the grocery store (or order takeout). I find the meals pretty affordable and healthy. I do wish that it was easier to switch between the vegetarian and the "classic" menus. If we could have at least one more vegetarian meal to choose from each week (vs only having a preset 3), then you could just have the one menu and the selection could default to vegetarian. For the most part, I'll order the vegetarian meals, but every now and then I like the fish or chicken dishes. But as I said, HelloFresh is good at adapting changes that I figure it is only a matter of time before this is part of the regular meal selection (with appropriate costs for vegetarian meals).

I will continue to recommend this service to everyone I know. It's great for experienced cooks (if you're not 100% sold on a meal, you can easily turn the ingredients into another dish. I've done this a few times!) and it is wonderful for "new cooks" that are trying to learn more about how to cook at home (Just so long as they have the right tools, but they quickly will learn how to stock their kitchen!). Thanks, HelloFresh and keep it up!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HelloFresh US?

Original review: June 15, 2019

After taking a break from HelloFresh for 8 months we got a promo offer in the mail for 50% off your first delivery so we ordered 3 meals. 6 days later I look at my checking account and the FULL 59.94 for the 3 meals was taken out. Without question, this was no mistake on HelloFresh's part. It's typical Nigerian Scammer type companies like these that profit off consumers not paying attention to their credit card account charges. I immediately contacted them via chat and was told I would get "credit and sorry for the inconvenience". They are that... Sorry! I plan to cancel when I get my refund. Blue Apron here I come LOL! The sad part about this is they effed this up on my initial return after 8 months. WOW.

Original review: June 14, 2019

We love the food. It is wonderful. I did write a couple of times because of dried out spices and was supposed to get a credit but never did. I also had a friend join and I never received a credit for that. I was disappointed.

Original review: June 13, 2019

THANK YOU HELLO FRESH! I will never go back. I have made it my life goal to convince everyone around me why they need Hello Fresh. Here’s my argument:

1. Huge variety of food that I would never have on my own (I made the same 15 or so meals)
2. I don’t waste time at the grocery store, nor do I spend money on those random items I find at the grocery store
3. It costs me the same weekly as I was spending on groceries anyways
4. I am EXCITED to cook each night
5. The meals are DELICIOUS
6. The meals are super healthy
7. I don’t waste any food

8. It had cut my eating out expenses by $100+ per month

I LOVE Hello Fresh!!!

Original review: June 12, 2019

We’ve been using HelloFresh for several months now and we’re really enjoying the convenience and quality of the meals. At the end of a long work day it’s so comforting to know we have everything we need for an amazing dinner. My husband even cooks on his own! The recipe cards are super easy to follow and meals are priced right. We love Hello Fresh!

Original review: June 11, 2019

I have been supremely happy with my experience with HelloFresh. The only negative comment I have is lately some of my selections were changed to something else, by someone else. There were some meals that I would not have chosen that were sent to me.

Original review: June 11, 2019

Excellent meals consistently. Produce is fresh. Meats are lean and plentiful. Love the sauces and recipes. Highly recommend it to anyone. Easy to prepare and takes little time. Great option to have during the work week. Excellent customer service. Any issues, of which there are few, if any, promptly and satisfactorily resolved.

Original review: June 10, 2019

Very good product. Good menu options. Delivery time can be a bit sketchy at times. Prep time is usually more than stated. Cooking directions need to be read a few times completely before starting, and I'm an experienced cook, otherwise some elements in the food prep might be used improperly. I order family meals, but wish a few Classic menus can be ordered for family options.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 10, 2019

I ordered HelloFresh and was lead to believe I understood the pricing. On their website they have a price listed with the meals. This price was very deceptive because a surcharge was added to the price. They said the meals were premium meals so they cost more. Some of my meals worked out to be $16 per serving when it was listed on the website at $8 a serving. This was with a $20 discount per box. The price would have been higher without the $20 discount. I could go out to dinner and pay less for a meal. One of my meals didn’t even have meat. This company completely misrepresents their pricing because a lot fewer people would be buying at $16 a meal vs $8 a meal. I will say the food was good and the cards were easy to follow.

I would still be a customer if the pricing wasn’t deceptive. Guess they would rather deceive customers and get more money from them initially than to be honest about the prices and keep customers. I cancelled my substitution because these meals were way overpriced and not accurate on the website. Shame on you HelloFresh for being a deceptive company.

HelloFresh response

Hi Shawna, thanks for reaching out and sharing your experience with us. Please send us an email so we can pass your feedback along to our team. Please also know that our Gourmet recipes are listed on our website and app with the additional price next to them. We hope this helps!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 8, 2019

I have been a subscriber for a while and I keep thinking they will address the quality of their ingredients but it does not improve. In every delivery there are issues with poor quality ingredients. This service is not cheap so it is not unreasonable to expect to be able to use every ingredient. However, in at least 2 of every 3 meals I get I have to supply my own produce or herbs because the ingredients shipped are not ripe, over ripe, bruised, yellowed or browned. I take a picture every time and offer to send it to them when I call but they always say it isn’t necessary. Since a person has to select each ingredient to go into each meal, it means they have the opportunity to only select ingredients in good quality.

Some of the cause of the issues are poor packaging which should be easy to fix but I feel like Hello Fresh only provides lip service when saying they will address the issues but nothing changes. I am going to stop wasting my time and money. This past week was the last straw. 2 ingredients in one meal were unusable and the customer service person would not issue a credit to my credit card, only to my Hello Fresh account which is not helpful since I had to purchase replacement ingredients out of my pocket. They totally missed the point so I cancelled their service.

HelloFresh response

Hi Maureen, we appreciate you reaching out and letting us know about this. Please send us an email so that we can take a closer look into this for you.

Original review: June 7, 2019

We were pleased with the menu choices and the food. It was convenient to not have to plan and shop for several meals a week. However, it’s not in our budget to continue. Even with the discount code we had, it is too much to continue spending on three meals a week. Thanks for a good experience.

Original review: June 7, 2019

Overall I enjoyed the meals got introduced to asparagus that I didn’t normally eat, however, the cooking instructions were sometimes confusing. Produce such as ginger and Zucchini were bruised or overripe. The potatoes were too small.

Original review: June 7, 2019

HelloFresh has changed me from someone who hated to cook to an enthusiastic gourmet chef! The weekly choices gives me a varied menu, and the cuts of meat are top choice. I always hated having to plan so far ahead to cook, but with HelloFresh providing all the basics, I am set to whip up another great tasting meal. I thank you, and so does my husband!

Original review: June 7, 2019

I've tried a lot of food subscription boxes when they offer their first-timer discounts, and some have been good and some have been mediocre. HelloFresh was the first one I tried, and I think it spoiled the rest for me. The packaging is well thought out (unlike some others, surprisingly, who just ship the ingredients loose in a cardboard box), the design is sleek, the recipe cards are easy to understand and make delicious meals.

This being said - I've never paid full price for the box. I've always had some kind of discount applied. I get the box maybe once a month as a treat to myself, and I eat all the servings alone for dinner or lunch the next day. I don't know if I would ever get the box at full price, it's just too expensive. I wish there was an option like Dinner to Lunch for lonely people like me, but without the extra servings and extra cost. The second serving is ALWAYS lunch. The customer support is also very helpful, when I've had to speak to them. They work hard. All in all, I've learned a lot of my favorite recipes from this box! So, thanks to the HelloFresh chefs.

Original review: June 7, 2019

Hello. I’ve been subscribing to HelloFresh for quite a while and I’ve noticed a change in the quality and accuracy of the meals that I’ve been receiving. Sometimes I am missing an ingredient from the package sometimes I get multiples of the ingredients. Also the quality hasn’t been excellent. The other comment I have is that the calorie count for these veggies meals is really high sometimes and that’s a turn off as well.

Original review: June 7, 2019

When I was ordering at a discounted rate, the meals were much more affordable. Living on Social Security with a fixed income makes it impossible for me to continue with the program. I think if discounts can be offered to entice a person to join, the pricing schedule could be permanently adjust likewise.

Original review: June 7, 2019

I can’t rave enough about Hello Fresh! It’s completely changed how I feel about preparing dinner for my husband and me (we’re new-ish empty nesters). I’ve always enjoyed cooking. But it was a real chore to decide what’s for dinner, and be prepared enough to have everything on hand. With Hello Fresh, it’s so easy to have an amazing home-cooked meal. My husband calls them “restaurant quality” meals, and he’s spot on. Thank you!

Original review: June 6, 2019

We ordered HelloFresh for the first time. We were excited to try some new recipes and looked forward to receiving our first box. The box arrived on Thursday as promised. Upon opening the box, we found that one of the meal kits was missing, only the protein and recipe card for the meal was there. We called Hello Fresh and let them know what happened, and they were apologetic, they gave us a credit, but somehow that gesture did not seem sufficient.

Later in the day we decided to cook the Salmon meal. Upon opening the salmon, we discovered one piece of salmon to be near average size, while the other piece was much smaller. The wt on the pkg said 10 oz. We weighed the Salmon and the package together with a very accurate scale, and the wt was closer to 8.7 ounces. So there was only about 7.5 ounces of actual Salmon in that package, and it wasn’t even wild caught Salmon. The rice and green beans that came with the meal were ok, but nothing out of the ordinary. The taste of the Salmon was ok, but I have had better from Costco. You would have thought that a first time customer might have had a better experience. Everyone has different tastes, however only receiving two out of three meal kits is not acceptable. We will try another week, and if no improvement, can not justify the cost.

HelloFresh response

Hi Robert, we appreciate you reaching out and letting us know about this. If this continues or if you have any issues with your second box please send us an email so that we can assist you.

Original review: June 6, 2019

Amazing quality, delicious food, fun recipes! The Italian meatloaf is especially good. The pork Hawaiian bbq burgers were amazing! Highly recommend the pork tacos too. Food always stays fresh in the box even if I’m not home when it arrives.

Original review: June 6, 2019

We absolutely love HelloFresh! The meals are delicious! I like how the recipes are easy to follow and you have all the ingredients you need right there. I have been a customer for a long time. Their customer service is also excellent!

Original review: June 6, 2019

I actually enjoy cooking food versus ordering out now! Knowing that 3 meals for the week are already planned and the ingredients are in my fridge makes life a little easier. The recipes are so tasty and the fresh ingredients really make them tasty.

Original review: June 6, 2019

I liked the Hello Fresh meals but decided to stop my subscription because I didn’t like all the packaging waste. Now for the past 2 weeks someone from Hello Fresh calls me 2x/day. On one call I asked to please be removed from the list. They said "ok" and then I got two more calls the next day! This is absurd. I never signed up to receive phone solicitation. Honestly, them using my contact information in this way should be illegal. But at least they should listen when you ask to be removed from their list.

HelloFresh response

Hi Taylor, thanks for letting us know about this. Please send us an email so that we can remove you from our call list.

Original review: June 6, 2019

We have received three boxes and have been very pleased with the freshness of the ingredients, the detailed instructions with pictures. It's exciting to learn the new recipes and cooking with certain spices I have never used before, or how to incorporate them with other ingredients. We have been very pleased.

Original review: June 6, 2019

Overall, I’ve been pretty happy with Hello Fresh. I’ve had a couple boxes come where the produce was not as fresh as it should have been, and once when I was missing an item. But mostly I’ve had good food, great recipes that are fast and easy to make. I cook all the time but what i enjoy the most is not having to buy produce that goes to waste.

Original review: June 5, 2019

I wasn't even going to bother filling this out because it seems as though no one TRULY cares what I have to say anyways. BUT, I just received this weeks boxes (I have 2 subscriptions so I can get it 7 days a week. The second subscription is listed under **). Since week 1, I believe I have received maybe ONE order that wasn't a problem. I've had broken bags, crushed items, open items, rotten potatoes and fresh spices, spilled items, open meat, wrong recipe cards, meat coming outside the ice, MISSING ingredients... Today, a WRONG recipe card and a box that came OPEN. HOW???? I am being told when I call that they have 'flagged my account so it's double checked before shipping'..??? I'm sorry, I don't believe that. How would all this happen if that were true?

NOW, please don't misunderstand me, we love the selections, the portions and all of the food. This is the ONLY reason I haven't cancelled. BUT, I can correct your problem for you...FIRE WHOEVER IS IN CHARGE OF SHIPPING! Whoever is doing the quality control, is sleeping on the job. This is a stress for me every week. I just don't understand....PLEASE help me understand! Such a disappointment worrying every week, ok...what's going to be the issue this week? I've sent pictures TWICE to hello@hellofresh.com as instructed and received NO call or email. I have many pictures. Just tell me where to send them. I will happily do so. PLEASE CONTACT ME! Melissa **

HelloFresh response

Hi Melissa, thanks for reaching out. Please send us an email so that we can take a second look into this for you.

Original review: June 5, 2019

I've been getting HelloFresh meals on and off for about a year now. As a consistent customer I have had my fair share of delicious meals but have also come face to face with some epic fails. One of the biggest flaws with this meal delivery service is the rice. Anytime I order a meal that includes rice, I'm always amazed at how little they give you. The meals I am subscribed to are supposed to serve two people, the rice they have given me, on more than one occasion is barely enough for a child's serving. If you wanted to try it to branch out of your comfort zone with cooking and try new things I would recommend avoiding the recipes that include rice. Other than that the service has been great. I hold onto a lot of my favorites from the recipes that they send me and recreate them myself. Hope this helps.

HelloFresh US expert review by ConsumerAffairs

A Berlin-based company with U.S. headquarters in New York City, HelloFresh delivers fresh ingredients and recipes to the customers each week for them to prepare at home. The company even partners with famed chef Jamie Oliver for exclusive recipes.

• Various options: HelloFresh offers options for vegetarians, as well as larger boxes for families.

• Subscription service: HelloFresh sells a "subscription" that automatically renews each week unless you opt out.

• Wide delivery range: The company delivers anywhere in the continental U.S.

• Small suppliers: Food is purchased from smaller suppliers for the freshest ingredients.

• Choose your meals: You can choose which meals you receive each week to suit your own individual tastes and needs.

• Best for: Busy individuals, busy families and people looking to expand their cooking knowledge.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs