Consumer Reviews and Complaints

As a single mom, working two jobs HelloFresh is a life saver!! Fresh, affordable, easy to make meals delivered right to my door!! My teenager can even make the meals on his own! It makes me feel good to be able to provide a high quality delicious meal for my family. AND you can't buy it at the store for Hello Fresh prices; go ahead, try to!

HelloFresh has been a game changer for us! My husband and I aren't great at cooking and HelloFresh makes it easy with the step-by-step instructions! Also, we are BUSY so we're eating out a lot, HelloFresh has helped us eat so much healthier. I don't know how to shop for all these 'secret' ingredients so having it all come in a box is perfect for us. Oh and by the way in our busy lives HelloFresh has helped us spend more time as a couple/family making dinner together. :)

Started out with a "FREE BOX" Code. That never worked and the box never came. They did how ever charge me for a box of stuff I did not want. After attempting to call twice with no luck I emailed. They offered no help other than help picking out food for the next week. The potatoes were soft, the zucchini was limp and old and all of the portions are for skinny people who do not like food. Meals for 3 people were for two people at best. The 3rd week my book never showed. After a week and half of emails my them I finally caught them on chat. David said there was a problem with my payment. Really? You're going to wait a week and a half and I have the call you to find out where my shipment was. The minute there was a problem someone should have called me and fixed it. Not mark my order as delivered and wait for me to call. Complete waste of time.

Resolution In Progress

Hey Christy!

Alex here from the HelloFresh community team. It sounds like your box may have been delivered upside down. The meat should always be on the bottom under the ice packs. Sorry to hear about the quality of ingredients you received, also. That's definitely not up to our standards. I'll be reaching out privately to make sure this is resolved for you appropriately!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

When I first opened my box, the meat was on top. All of them had leaked and I had to wash the sticky mess off of each package. The potatoes that arrived were baby yukon gold. Half of them were rotten and the other half were mushy and old. I threw all of them out. My garlic was already peeled and was old and mushy, I threw that out. But the sliced piece of fresh ginger was so dried and shriveled I am surprised it was even sent. I threw that out. I was surprised to see that these products were sent out regardless of the quality and their condition. I would never order from this company. I suggest everyone who reads this try out a different food delivery service to compare the quality.

I sampled a couple of Meal Delivery Services and this by far is the best. Very organized packages, fresh veggies and meat/fish. It's helped cut down on food waste in my fridge, reduced going out to dinner costs and my 13 year old can join me in the kitchen and has become my sous chef! We are trying new foods and liking them. And it's very healthy! Other services weren't packaged in an organized way and items didn't seem as fresh. Additionally, you were limited on choices. That was weird.

Ever since signing up for HelloFresh I have enjoyed the ease of having all the ingredients to delicious meals delivered to my door. The recipes have been tasty time and time again. The convenience of having meals planned out for me is worth the price of HelloFresh alone, the fresh ingredients and delicious meals are just an added bonus!

Hey Yanet,

This is Alex from the HelloFresh community team. Sorry about the confusion, we mention throughout checkout and in the terms and conditions that you're enrolling in our auto-renewing subscription service by claiming your first box for free.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

Very unpleasant experience with HelloFresh. After making your order they will continue to charge you every week, then when you call to complain they tell you that the information was under the conditions, which is not true. They do not want to cancel that order and shamelessly they tell you that they already invested in the products of that week. I never gave my consent that they can charge another week. HelloFresh is a big scam, how sad it is, they have to do business that way. You can be sure, that I am going to share my bad experience everywhere. HELLOFRESH SCAM, SCAM, SCAM!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HelloFresh US?

Factual basis uncertain

Website lacks transparency related to subscription and use of HelloFresh gift cards. Ended up with two deliveries for same week. When discovered in advance, called customer service who clearly acknowledged the problem without any offer of a solution. Borders on fraudulent practices when known problem with website and lack of any resolution. Terminated my subscription. Too many other competitors to remain with a dishonest company.

HelloFresh

Hi Dave! Jordan here, our community team lead at HelloFresh. Giftcards that are purchased at hellofresh.com/gift do NOT require you to open a subscription, but must be redeemed at that same URL. However, you may have received a marketing offer to try your first box free, in which case you must sign up for a subscription. We hope that helps to clarify.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

Received 2 gift cards, 120$ and went to their site to setup to use the gift card... Went through the setup. As I get to the end it tells me I have to put a credit card in to use the gift card which I didn't like to begin with. Then under that they say they will automatically keep sending food on the cards. I went to their help line where in the end the supervisor told me I'm screwed and can't do anything about it. So I have useless gift cards. So help desk doesn't help at all. So don't buy gift cards for anyone unless you want to be stuck with them even if you don't like them.

Factual basis uncertain

I've worked in advertisement and marketing for some time and have always been aware that word of mouth is by far the best, most convincing avenue for persuasion. HelloFresh seems to not care about what a customer feels and thinks when they are dissatisfied. I was given a free box by a friend and ONLY considered using it and trying out Hellofresh BECAUSE it was free. Well, as it turns out the only way to receive your free box is to enter in your credit/debit information. Okay, still did not state that I would continue to be charged for boxes after the free one was delivered AND that I magically signed up for subscription. Interesting. I did not agree to nor desire to subscribe, continue to pay or get anything besides the free box that was sent to me from a friend to try. When I take the time to call and inquire and then I'm told that the terms and conditions box was checked and I agreed ... No, where I'm from that's called a snake in the grass.

You need credit card information for a FREE trial then knowingly put it in the fine print that I would be continually charged and that I subscribed. Hah, good thing I check my bank statement otherwise I'd still be getting charged for something I was not prepared or willing to agree to. Food for thought next time, put it in large print that your customers will continue to be charged and that they have subscribed to something they were given for free initially. Furthermore, I will be using word of mouth to continue to let anyone I come in contact with know to not use this company or its services because of the situation I have recently had to deal with. I wasn't given my money back and was not credited for the amount debited from my account.

I have been a HelloFresh weekly customer for 6 months. I have found HF to be an excellent home meal kit delivery system. My orders always arrive on time, are well packed with ingredients separated into meal specific sections and iced down enough to withstand summer delivery in the south. All of the supplies are included, everything - herbs/ vegetables/ grains/ meats are fresh and of top quality. The recipes are clearly written, easy to follow and are on large cards - with pictures - that can be saved for encore meals. Dinners introduce a variety of new tastes that have increased our palate - plus I've learned a few new cooking tricks! Overall, the healthy meals have been very beneficial to our attempt to change our eating lifestyle - we are cooking much more, eating out less, have lost a few pounds and feel great about what we make. HelloFresh is a WINNER!

We've enjoyed all of the meals we've received. Not only does it make it easy for us to cook, it also has taught us how to use new ingredients and techniques. My husband and I have both learned how to cook dishes we really enjoy.

I have been a HelloFresh customer for about a year now and I absolutely can't live without it. I love to cook but often waste food or get stuck in ruts. I love the recipes and the ingredients used by HelloFresh. The portions are perfect and once you get into the swing of things it's super easy to make the meals.

HelloFresh

Hi Claudia! Jordan here, the head of our community team. That is not at all up to our service standards, and I would like to personally make it right. I will reach out privately.

Original review: July 31, 2017

I have been ordering from Hello Fresh for years, but have continuously have had problems with their ordering process and their account management software. In April, I deactivated my account because we were going to be on vacation for 3 months and I could reactivate it when we returned. Today I tried to reactivate my account and my account was not listed under my profile. However, 3 accounts with the SAME number ** was listed, NONE of which were my account number. I tried to unsubscribe from all of them.

The next thing I get is an email from Hello Fresh stating they were sorry I was and they would be sending me my last order this week. NOTE: I DID NOT PLACE AN ORDER. This has been my constant complaint to Hello Fresh, is how their ordering and accounting process works. I have pleaded with them to address these issues with their technical operations, to no avail. It has been a constant battle and extremely frustrating. I currently am trying to resolve this in writing, because their C/S is not trained to address the technical issues. They only want to hear about the food, which I give an A+ and Customer Service, an F+.

Whoever you have working in your recipe development department, absolutely delish! Every meal was better than the last, the sauces were amazing and the quality great as well! Will be recommending to my friends!

The food is just okay. Some of the recipes have very simple ingredients that I could have easily bought at the store myself (for cheaper!), and there's not a lot prepped for you. It takes away the effort of planning meals, but I'm still doing just as much work cooking as before. The ingredients are lower quality than I expected (plastic cups of pineapple in fruit juice and canned tomatoes are not my idea of "fresh" ingredients). There have been some issues, but customer service has been somewhat helpful (though on the phone one woman was very rude). My first delivery was sent to the wrong address, and they gave me $10 off my next order. Then they auto-renewed my order without telling me so I didn't have time to edit the menu or cancel the shipment. I only noticed because I was charged $50 on my debit card, by which time it was too late.

The food automatically selected for me was food I did not want and food that would not work for my boyfriend (who has a severe food allergy) AND we were going out of town so we wouldn't even get to eat it anyway. I called customer service who said there was nothing she could do to change it (the food was coming to my door whether I wanted it or not), but she could give me my next box (a $49.95 credit) for free. I'm planning on using that last free box and then cancelling. I personally don't think it's worth the money you spend on it. I can buy groceries for two people for a week for about the same as I pay for three dinners. If you have money to burn, you can try it, but honestly I would just get Blue Apron because it's much better quality food.

Factual basis uncertain

You can suspend your account but only for 4 weeks (they don't tell you this clearly) and then they automatically send the next default dinners with no advance warning. They won't let you cancel that order nor will they give you credit. The website did not alert me to this. I thought the suspension was indefinite. VERY DECEPTIVE BUSINESS PRACTICE.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I have enjoyed our HelloFresh meals. Most of the recipes are new and interesting. The meats are high quality and the sauces are delicious. My one criticism is the vegetables--the portion seems small and sometimes not in the best condition.

The packaging of the meals have been nothing short of great. I like that all the meals are bagged, that makes it simple to store. All of the meals blend well and taste great. I have always finished a meal that left me feel comfortable.

We love most of our meals. We love that they are well rounded, original, tasty and full of fresh ingredients. Most of all I love that my teenagers can have dinner prepped and ready for us to cook as a family three nights a week. What I REALLY NEED is a box to feed six people, as we are adding another hungry teenager in two weeks, and we need at least four evening meals a week and one or two breakfasts too. It doesn't make sense for you not to offer me a box for six people with 6 meals in it. You are CRAZY not to sell it to me!!!

We have REALLY enjoyed all the delicious meals/recipes these past 3 weeks. I'm not a fan of grocery shopping & tend to over buy & wasting food & feeding the trash can. This has been a delight, delivered to our door, instructions for prep, cook to artfully placed on plate to table???

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My husband and I love this service! Our box of meals arrives on schedule every week. The contents are high quality and I have yet dislike any of our menus choices. The instruction cards are complete and easy to follow, their prep and cook time is spot on!

Factual basis uncertain

I decided to give HelloFresh a try when I received a gift card. When you create an account online at HelloFresh you are given a schedule in which you can decide which weeks to skip or which weeks to schedule a delivery. I chose my first week to schedule and the following second week I chose to skip, considering I am not going to do this every week. When I realized without the gift card, I would be paying $60 per week for a meal, I canceled my subscription and account. For the record, when I placed my first order, I received a confirmation email of the cost and everything. Today, I only received one email, stating my delivery for this week was on the way. WHAT DELIVERY? I did not schedule a delivery.

I canceled my account 2 days ago. I understand in their policy that if you don't cancel it 5 days before, you will still be charged. HOWEVER, I DID NOT EVEN HAVE A DELIVERY SCHEDULED. I contacted customer service and she repeated this over and over until finally she said "ok let me send you an email in which you can respond and send me a confirmation of the first email you received and I will contact my supervisor." She stated I would receive this email within 3 minutes. Guess what? It's been 30 minutes.

I contacted them again, got a different representative, and he said she is editing her email… he told ME to contact them again if I do not receive an email. How about you contact your dissatisfied customer?! I should not be chasing them down for this. Absolutely unacceptable. Still no email! I have been dealing with this now for 45 minutes since I first contacted. I will not be reactivating my account. I will not recommend HelloFresh to anyone.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I loved the meals! Fresh enough, like the meal options. Takes a little longer to prepare. My preference would be more organic. Will try again. Friendly and helpful staff and love the packaging. I would recommend.

I've been receiving weekly boxes from HelloFresh for almost two years. I absolutely could not imagine going back to meal planning and shopping for ingredients every week. It has changed my life for the better!!!

Hey Caitlin,

Alex here from the HelloFresh Community Team. I'm sorry to hear about your difficult experience canceling. I'll be reaching out privately to make sure this is handled appropriately for you.

Original review: July 27, 2017

Trying to cancel is terrible! I tried to cancel my HelloFresh Subscription on 7/12/17. I received a notification of delivery, the following week. I thought that maybe I did not cancel it in the appropriate time frame, so I was ok with the next weeks delivery/charges. Well, I just received an e-mail for ANOTHER HelloFresh delivery this week. Completely ridiculous!!!! I attempted to cancel again this evening and contacted the company as well, through email. I really hope that my account is now canceled, and I don't have to for over another $70 for meals that take over an hour to cook, with lots of prep work. The meals were good, but I was hoping for something that was quick and healthy for my families' busy lifestyle. I make meals from scratch all the time, that take less time than the meals I prepared through HelloFresh. I am glad I tried it, but I just want to be done and for them to stop sending me food!!!!

I have been using HelloFresh for about 3 months now and I LOVE to cook with their recipes, they are very easy to follow and having everything I need is fabulous!! The meals taste like they were prepared by a gourmet chef!! I highly recommend!!

HelloFresh consistently provides a great meal time experience. My interactions with their customer service have been professional and helpful, and we've added several of the recipes to our go-to meals.

We love HelloFresh. When we started looking for a home delivery service we tried 2 other companies before finding HelloFresh. Definitely not pleased with those companies BUT once we received our 1st books, we couldn't wait to keep getting more boxes. Any issues we have had, they have addressed it immediately and we keep ordering our weekly box. We will continue into the fall and see what we plan to do for winter, but very thankful for this service and selection. My husband is an executive chef and doesn't feel like cooking when he's home, so this has also allowed me to be a rockstar for him! Thank you!!

Resolution In Progress

HelloFresh

Hi Burwell! Jordan here, from our community team. That is definitely not up to our service standards at all. I will reach out right now to make it right.

Original review: July 26, 2017

On Monday, 24 July, 2017, when our weekly Monday box from HelloFresh had not arrived by the 8 PM deadline for delivery, I immediately reported this. I then had to rush to the grocery to pick up items to prepare for dinner, and I was quite perturbed. At 9:51 PM, the doorbell rang, and our usual very affable delivery man was at the door with our Monday box! It had been raining heavily and the box looked like it had fallen out of the van. It was quite beat up.

I opened the box immediately to check the contents, and fortunately due to the structure of the box, the contents appeared unharmed. Additionally the lower freezer pack was still frozen sufficiently to keep the contents cold. I immediately put everything in the fridge. Only the pack of green beans destined for the Shrimp Lo Mein was not up to your usual standard, and I honestly did not notice that until preparing dinner last evening. One of them was covered with mold and the others were slimy. The shrimp, fortunately, was in perfect condition and quite delicious. I then closely examined all of the bags, and everything else is in fine condition, thank goodness.

I had several e-mail conversations with Yahmina ** yesterday, and I am not finding fault with her at all. What I am dissatisfied with is the excuse she conveyed to me for the lateness of the delivery. I was told that the courier from Linden, NJ carries other packages and not simply HelloFresh packages and that a timely delivery of HelloFresh cannot be guaranteed! I have not problem with a mixed load being sent to Philadelphia, but what I am not fine with is the fact that food packages are not given priority delivery when food is a perishable commodity. That seems rather absurd.

Additionally, my husband and I have been using HelloFresh since February 2016, and I have repeatedly asked for morning deliveries. That note is even written on the address label on the boxes I receive. I live in the city, and packages do not fare well when left on front stoops here. They tend to disappear! For a few weeks this summer, my Monday box arrived before noon, and it has not arrived later than 3 since the winter, when I had several occasions of wondering if it was ever going to appear and one occasion when it was not delivered until Tuesday! I was so pleased with this dramatic improvement in service, and the very friendly regular driver. I wrote a comment about that as well as a shout-out to the driver.

My husband and I enjoy HelloFresh very much, and I really don't want to switch to another vendor, but this recent slip up has us wondering what is happening within the organization. I have a theory that our box got stuck up in the van/truck somehow, that the driver realized this AFTER he returned to Linden and then drove all the way back with it! If so, he deserves a compliment for going above and beyond! I wish I knew his name! Thank you for seriously reading this very lengthy comment and taking it in the spirit with which it is intended. Customer Service is so important!

We have been a customer for several months and are so pleased with the weekly meals. We've had a few problems with produce and meat but always resolved quickly and customer service is great! Great for working family.

The meats are of great quality, the vegetables are very fresh, and the recipes are easy to follow. The seasonings and herbs top off the entire experience. The HelloFresh menus provide me with renewed pleasure in cooking and great new taste bud experiences that I find very refreshing.

HelloFresh Company Profile