4.01/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

As a global leader in providing fresh food to consumers' doorsteps, HelloFresh wants to ensure every household has the opportunity to enjoy delicoius and healthy food. They have a variety of meal plans to choose from and each plan includes ingredients that are sourced locally and delivered at a time convenient for their subscribers. Menus and deliveries can be managed through their mobile app and their customer care team is available to answer any questions. Call or visit their site today!

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 17, 2017

768 HelloFresh Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I went to the HelloFresh site, and saw that their price per meal was $4.99, and I thought that was reasonable, so I entered my credit card number, and what comes next? Menus with the price of $9.99!! I canceled right then!! A couple days later, I see where they've charged my card with $29.94!! I called them and told them to cancel right away and return my money. They said 'unfortunately' they cannot do this because they're preparing a box to be sent to me. "A box of what?" I asked because I didn't choose anything. "A box of food". I guess anything will do, right? Well, these people are rip off artists, don't do business with them! The food? I don't know, it's going into the garbage as soon as it arrives.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I received a free week of food from a friend who uses Hello Fresh frequently. I signed up, and had to contact customer service as it glitched as soon as I did. They were helpful and resolved the issue. I received my box and the food was fine, despite 2/3 recipes having the wrong or missing ingredients. When I was done, I canceled my subscription and unsubscribed my email address. I thought it would be a clean break. Nope. Nearly a month later, at 6:15am on a Monday, I received a call from an 877 number.

I googled it and saw it was from Hello Fresh, so I canceled the call and went back to sleep. They called me back every single day that week, between 6:15 and 6:30 am. Finally on Friday I was sick of being woken up. I answered the call and asked why they were calling so early. "We're on Eastern time." But I'm not? And I'm sure a large portion of your customers are not and are on PST as well. And you can see where I live from where I had my food delivered. "We just call everyone." Well okay. I'll just go ahead and block the number. Unless you want to be called every day before the sun is up, avoid Hello Fresh. Blue Apron is a better service anyway.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

HelloFresh is the best thing I've done for myself in a long time. I never really liked to cook or grocery shop. And I had gotten into the habit of using just a few recipes over and over. I saw an ad online for this and decided to try it. I am so enjoying the variety of foods, the ease of which to make them and having success with new recipes. And most of all, I'm learning how to cook and enjoying it. Cooking for 1 hasn't been easy and a lot of food would go bad before I could use it all. Now I get fresh produce without the waste. And the variety I'm eating is so much more enjoyable. I will also invite a friend over for dinner, something I rarely ever did before. I was embarrassed of my simple meals. With HelloFresh, I know it's a meal to be proud of! Tasty, fresh, easy and delicious! Thank you for teaching me to cook, to be a success in the kitchen and to enjoy eating home cooked meals again.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

The concept is great but I wish the recipes were more healthy, too much sour cream, butter, and stock concentrate. Also, little packets of sugar would be nice if the recipe calls for it. Also, I wish that we could decide one week for the classic and the next week for the vegan. The prices are the same and it's a completely different shipment. That would be amazing!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

Love this service! Recipes are easy to follow and ingredients have always been fresh. The food tastes great and I love using ingredients that I've never cooked with before. HelloFresh is affordable for me as I used to eat out every day in lieu of cooking. Now with this service I save more money and control what I eat. I love not having to go out and grocery shop. Also love how they deliver on weekends. The only thing I would recommend having a better carrier. Not a huge fan of sprint ship as they have messed up a few times.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HelloFresh US?

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

Love that healthy ingredients are delivered to my door, with easy yet delicious recipes to follow. Unfortunately, the quantity of packaging that is not recyclable makes this subscription service hard to maintain long-term. A few weeks I've received food that has spoiled, but the customer service team is quick to respond and offer a discount on future deliveries.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

A friend gave me some of HelloFresh's food and it had mold and sent me to the doctor. Buyer beware. Stay away from this product, I ended up missing work for a few day. I will never use this again. Thank you for listening.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Hello Fresh offers great meals, easy but delicious choices, lots of freebies to get others to try their food and reasonable prices. So far, I am enjoying it. I wish they would offer discounts for return customers, but that's my only critique.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I love Hello Fresh for its quality & convenience. After all my years of cooking, I find it is so easy not to have to plan meals & grocery lists as much. So nice to pick the meals we want online & then decide which meal to fix that day. They also are delicious & recipes are easy to follow.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

HelloFresh provides high value with tasty, economical meals at a great price. Sometimes you want delicious but not gourmet. This service has the selection to let you create the week that will make it fun to cook again! Thanks!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I am very happy with my HelloFresh boxes. Ingredients are fresh, boxes arrive within applicable timeframe, recipes are easy to follow and accurate, food is delicious and has made my weekly dinners much more enjoyable for me and my husband. I would recommend them to anyone looking to cut down on meal prep and grocery shopping time.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

My husband and I are in our 70s and retired. I’m tired of cooking and trying to think of what to fix to get out of the kitchen ASAP. Last July my friend showed me her HelloFresh box with recipe cards, and all the needed food items. I was excited, and still am, to receive my box with 3 delicious nutritious meals. My husband likes them and helps me decide which meals to order. They are filling without too many fat calories. We are pleased.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I have been blown away by how delicious and creative every meal is. As a business owner myself, I only recommend people and products that I use and have positive experiences with. Needless to say all my customers are told about HelloFresh. Keep up the delicious dinners coming.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

HelloFresh has completely changed our boring dinner routines! We look forward to the different meals every week and love all of the variety. Not only is almost every meal absolutely delicious but nutritious as well! The ingredients are so fresh and such high quality. The meals give us so much exposure to unique and way above ordinary dinners. Not to mention they are a huge Time saver after working a long day. The convenience alone is worth it to me and the meals are fairly easy to prepare! Can't say enough how much I love HelloFresh!!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

HelloFresh is great. I hate planning meals and shopping for groceries. We've learned to cook a different way and tried new foods. My 17 year old son has learned to cook, because of HelloFresh. When I've had a problem, it was taken care of immediately.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I decided to try HelloFresh because I received a coupon in the mail. I have a couple friends to use the service and they always raved about how wonderful it was, but I was pretty skeptical. There was a little hiccup with my first box because of the hurricane in the area, but everything came the next day and was still perfectly fresh. Their customer service department is very helpful and responsive. I love the way that HelloFresh makes cooking so hassle-free, and I love even more that I don't have to go to the grocery store as often! As someone who tries to eat a raw diet I was concerned that HelloFresh would utilize processed foods in their meals, but I was wrong. Aside from whatever sauce or seasoning packet may be included, all of the ingredients are whole foods.

This is great for people who struggle with eating a healthy diet, because everything is already there for you and it encourages you to try new foods you probably wouldn't have purchased at the store. I get the two person box with 3 meals, and I have to say that the portions are pretty generous. I'm able to get three or four servings out of one meal, so it's a great value, especially for a single person. I also have to say that it been very helpful while my husband is deployed because I find it difficult to even make it to the grocery store for the couple items I need. With HelloFresh all of the planning and shopping is done for you - I just pick the meals that I want from the app and they show up on my doorstep. HelloFresh has really changed the way that we do dinner in our house, and I am so glad I took the chance and tried their service!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Large post alert that's actually not horse-related! I'm not the type of person that typically complains, I try to view things in a positive attitude, try to treat other people the way that I would like to be treated. With this being said I feel that I have a responsibility to report my recent experience with HelloFresh. HelloFresh for those of you that don't know, is a company that allows you to purchase meals that are pre-packaged and then sent to you to make. I had a friend that spoke highly of it, she sent me a coupon so I bought 3 meals for $19.95.

Upon receiving the package my husband and I were excited about the prospect of being able to cook together without really having to think about what we wanted to make, so we made the meals and it was great, I received an email that asked me how my meals were and I rated them some even with the highest star rankings, so I'm not just the type of person to write reviews when I don't like something. Now, I I didn't realize that this is a prescription service, meaning that they would repeatedly send an order until you cancel or posit. I canceled my service, but apparently it wasn't early enough. I received no notification whatsoever via email or otherwise that I had "purchased" another meal so imagine my surprise when I come home and discover a new box from HelloFresh!

I laugh at the Dilemma but figured it would be an easy fix since it was an innocent mistake. I called the HelloFresh company and was told that because this is a prescription service there would be no way that I could be reimbursed and that because this is perishable item there would be no way that I could return this. I asked to speak with someone higher up and was told the exact same thing from management. They charged me $60 for this box... I asked for a partial reimbursement I was offered 20% off my next purchase, I told them that I cancelled my prescription and there wouldn't be a next purchase.

It didn't matter, that was the most they could give me, I called back at a later time after being told. Well regardless I called back at a later time, spoke with another higher up and was told the exact same thing. I told them that there had to be someone that I could speak with, they said that there wasn't anyone else. I asked if there was an accounting department that I could talk to you about reimbursement, they said that there wasn't even accounting department. So this is me putting out a very long post to say - that in my opinion HelloFresh is completely unfair and not worth supporting. Spend your money elsewhere.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Most of the time HelloFresh dinners are quality produce and meats; just not all of the time. I enjoy the variety of recipes and look forward to receiving my meals every week. Their customer service though is lacking. Twice I have received meats that were spoiled or, became spoiled in two-days time while stored in a refrigerator waiting to be prepared. My emails and online form submissions requesting assistance were never answered. I'm still waiting to hear from them about the spoiled hamburger.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I have been a customer of HelloFresh for more than a year at this point. I love their food and recipes (although I have cooked stuff lately that have disappointed me a little bit - more than usual, I am just putting this as a bad streak). However, where the issues comes in is with their logistics. Over the last 4 months I have experienced 5 different issues, and the last ones in the last 2 weeks back to back. This triggered me to write his review after spending 20 minutes with their customers service to no resolutions. The issues were: missing ingredient in the box (steak) - contacted support, they credited the account with $20 to replace the steak. Fair enough. Wrong meal (1 out of 4), therefore the wrong recipe was in the box. Honest mistake I guess, didn't even say anything, just went online to retrieve the PDF version of the recipe required to cook that meal. Okay, not the end of the world.

Delivery did not arrive on scheduled day (Mondays for me). I contact them. "Sorry sorry (they are very good at apologizing), issue with the delivery, you'll get your box the next day." But nothing else, in those case I would expect a $20 coupon or something over the next order. They don't seem to get that when the box does not arrived on the expected day by 8 pm, I am left home with no food, starving and no time to go do last minute grocery shopping (my little one is already in bed by then). Therefore I have to order out (luckily I live in NYC and delivery options are plentiful) and this cost of course much more money than anticipated.

Last week. Delivery does not come. I check the delivery tracking, the service says the food was delivered at the front door. I checked, it's not there. I explain the situation at the customer service which profusely apologize again... I am told that my issue will be escalated to the proper service (blah, blah, blah...) and that I should wait between 24h to 48h that for their logistical department to come back to me with a resolution. I wait 48h, nothing. Nobody contacted me (no phone call or emails). I contact support (again), and of course the only available resolution is: "Sorry we are going to reimburse you." And that's it, no coupons or price reduction on the next box. Again, they don't seem to realize that they are a service company that we are relying on to eat!

Today. Same exact thing! No box came, spent another 20 minutes with customer services, and same exact thing: "sorry sorry sorry, wait 24h-48h a resolution, blah blah". So at this point I am really let it all out (politely of course to their very polite staff). And after sharing my frustration I am offered a 10$ price reduction to my next box... But again, my week's meals and groceries are all screwed up again. I cannot rely on their service. They did made a change to my delivery carrier (which was named Colombus) to UPS hoping issue will "resolve themselves".

So I am afraid that this was my last box from Hello Fresh. I am really fed-up with so many screw-up and their ineptitude to deal with the issues properly. No saying 20 times sorry and giving me $10 does not solve my issue of having nothing to eat for the next 3 days... They don't seem to recognize that their service is as much about reliability than it is about providing good food. I love their food but I can't live anymore with their unreliability and their inability to address or compensate for it properly (even though their staff is very nice and professional).

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Signed up for the service with a coupon given by my employer. Didn't realize it was a weekly subscription that I was signing up for. Customer service wouldn't even consider canceling my subscription even though my next delivery was not scheduled for 4 days. Meals take hours to prepare. Don't even think about wasting your money with these guys.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

I was interested in learning more about HelloFresh so I went to their website. I went ahead and fill in my email address to get the latest information about their products. I was asked how many people I was interested in feeling and, how many times a week I was interested in their meals. I never was ask nor did I ever see a menu of the meals for selection. I also wasn't ask on what day I wanted to receive delivery. I had a discount coupon for my first order. I never finished filling in my information. I decided I should probably wait until after the holidays to get involved in a weekly expense.

2 days later I get an email telling my order would be delivered the following day. I never approved a withdrawal from my account to pay for 3 meals for 2 people. I called, and emailed HelloFresh telling them I didn't approve the order. I was told in so many words there is nothing they could do. The meals were already on their way. I was very upset and let them know I wasn't happy with the way they conduct business. I am filing a complaint with the better business Bureau. Buyer Beware!!!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I bought my first box. I was so impressed by the first box that I shared it on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube. Tons of people used my code. I was so excited because they sent me some "freebies". I sent one to my cousin who had just had a baby by C-section. I set up her account myself linked it to my PayPal. I made sure to skip all the weeks right away so I would not be charged. This was about three weeks ago. Today, I got a buy my heart medicine and my card was declined. I have a PayPal debit card. I looked on HelloFresh and charged me $60 for a box. Calling them, it was the box for my cousin. I know 100% that I skipped every single week for that account until she can decide. I skipped at least as far as you could skip. They swear I never did at all.

I was literally crying on the phone. I need this medicine. I made them get me someone else. I've had a lot of problem with bad produce, rotten meat etc. I have always advocated for them because they sent a new box to try to make it right. I will advocate no more and I will share anywhere the experience that I'm going through. Basically, the lady called me a liar. She said there was no way I skipped any weeks. I'm very familiar with the system since I have it myself. I know I skipped the weeks. After crying and waiting for almost an hour she said they could give me half the money back. They weren't sure where the box was being shipped to or what was in the box. Half the money back will not fix the fact that I can't afford my medication, thanks to HelloFresh.

I will definitely be amending my reviews on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube telling all my story. I know 100% that I did not authorize this payment or reactivate that account. I know she didn't do it because she didn't even have the account information. The people on the phone are not at all empathetic. They don't care. They just want your money. Sorry HelloFresh. You've lost a customer and someone that is an influencer for quite a few people through social media. I'm still crying as I write this. Stay away unless you want to lose your money.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

Apparently I live in an area where UPS can only deliver on Wednesday. Fine. HelloFresh hired a courier service that decided they would rather enjoy the meals I chose than letting me. Whatever. I get a credit for what I didn't get, great. Now I have to go to the store and figure out what to cook and again to whatever. First world problems I guess. 2 weeks without delivery and I get vague emails. I really wanted to feel loyal to them but they really don't care about my business. BUT HEY the food and the recipes are wonderful!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

We have received 21 boxes of HelloFresh and have never been disappointed. Every meal is delicious and easy. We've only had a few repeats but those are some of our favorites. We will continue with HelloFresh for the foreseeable future.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

Overall, HF is awesome, but some recipes take way longer than the time indicated and are pretty complicated (two pots, a pan, baking sheet, etc.). I'd just want a clearer indication when a recipe is going to take longer.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

We LOVE HelloFresh. My teenage daughter is able to cook on her own. Less time at the grocery store, and less money spent there. No time wondering what is for dinner. Food has been fresh and delicious.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

My son gave me my free week of Hello Fresh. It only took me having those first tasty meals and I was hooked. Love the variety of the meals, the fresh herbs and spending so much less time at the grocery store. Nice company to deal with too!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

When we began HelloFresh I had no idea how good the product was going to be. We tried another meal service but weren’t enthusiastic; now we are with HelloFresh. This week I had to put my plan on pause and I have missed my food. While my husband is a great cook even he says he’s learning tricks and techniques from HelloFresh. We love receiving our box. We love the surprise. We love the food. Keep it up!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

When my boyfriend and I decided to start a meal delivery service, we researched several different companies. We ultimately decided on HelloFresh for many different reasons, mainly the fun, delicious and innovative dishes. Needless to say, we have been loyal fans ever since our first box! We have never missed a week yet and it is one of the best decisions we have ever made! Thank you for being awesome!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

Gee after using Hello Fresh for so long, it's like what did I use to cook? Now instead of me asking the husband what he wants for dinner he is asking... What are we having tonight? A happy hubby is also a happy wife.

HelloFresh Company Information