1.3/5 (110 ratings)

About HelloFresh

HelloFresh states that its goal is to ensure every household has the opportunity to enjoy delicious and healthy food. The company has a variety of meal plans to choose from, and each plan includes ingredients that are locally sourced and delivered at a time convenient for their subscribers. Customers can manage their menus and deliveries through HelloFresh’s mobile app, and its customer care team is available to answer any questions.

Pros

• Flexible pricing
  • Can pause delivery
  • Six plan types
  • Easy cancellation

Cons

• Limited allergy care

Bottom Line

HelloFresh focuses on delivering fresh, healthy food straight to your door. With a variety of recipes and plan types, there’s something to fit most anyone’s needs and tastes.

Top HelloFresh Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HelloFresh US?

Verified

My husband and I love ordering from HelloFresh! The food is definitely fresh. The recipes are easy to understand and taste great! There's a lot of great variety with the meals as ...

Verified

We have the vegetarian plan because my wife is a lifelong vegetarian, and all the meals have been wonderful. Oftentimes we see other companies doing vegetarian meals that don't ha...

How does HelloFresh work?

HelloFresh is a meal-kit company based in Berlin, Germany. The company is one of the largest meal-kit providers in the U.S., and it works using a few simple steps:

1. Choose a plan based on your lifestyle and needs: The company offers six plans — Meat and Veggies (classic), Veggie (vegetarian), Pescatarian, Family Friendly, Quick and Easy, and Fit and Wholesome.
  2. Pick your plan size and frequency: Next, decide if you want food for two or four people and whether you want two, three, four, five or six meals delivered each week.
  3. Await delivery: Your meals are delivered straight to your door on the day you choose.
  4. Start cooking: Your meal kit includes a detailed and easy-to-follow recipe card and all the ingredients you need to make a delicious meal.

HelloFresh recipes

HelloFresh accommodates every appetite, household size and schedule. Every recipe is created by chefs and tested 200 times. Currently, HelloFresh offers one vegan meal per week. The Meat and Veggies plan can be customized to be beef-free, pork-free or seafood-free.

HelloFresh employs a team of dieticians that review every ingredient for the eight major allergens (wheat, dairy, soy, eggs, nuts, peanuts, fish and shellfish) and discloses the information next to the meal choice on the HelloFresh website. The company states it’s up to the consumer to read and understand allergens in the ingredients.

HelloFresh price

HelloFresh meals start at $7.49 per serving, but the total price is determined by your plan preferences and size. The company offers six core plan types:

• Meat and Veggies (classic)
  • Veggie (vegetarian)
  • Pescatarian
  • Family Friendly
  • Fit and Wholesome
  • Quick and Easy

A Meat and Veggies plan for four people who want two meals per week is $8.99 per serving, and a Low Calorie plan for two people who want two meals per week is $10.99 per serving. Each order has a $9.99 shipping fee.

The company frequently includes coupons and discount codes on its website. No contract is required, and the service can be paused or canceled at any time.

HelloFresh FAQ

How long is HelloFresh good for?

HelloFresh states all ingredients stay fresh for the week in which you receive them, but the company suggests using ingredients that don’t store as well, such as fish, at the beginning of the week.

Can I reuse HelloFresh ice packs?

Yes, ice packs may be reused. Alternatively, some areas offer an ice pack return program, or you can recycle the ice packs by emptying the nontoxic gel into the drain with warm water and recycling the plastic casing.

Is there a minimum subscription length?

There is no minimum length for HelloFresh subscriptions. You can cancel your subscription at any time.

Can I skip a week of my subscription?

If you are traveling or would like to hold your subscription for any reason, you can manage delivery dates within your HelloFresh account. Delivery changes can be made up to 11:59 p.m. PST five days before the scheduled delivery.

How does the food stay fresh in transit?

The company uses specially designed boxes with insulating liners, gel packs and cooling material to help food stay as fresh as possible. HelloFresh modifies its packaging based on the season to ensure maximum freshness.

Is HelloFresh worth it?

HelloFresh helps people enjoy a variety of home-cooked meals without having to pore through recipe books and spend time shopping in grocery stores. The range of flavors, options for vegetarian or low-calorie meals and low-pressure commitment make it a great choice. We recommend HelloFresh for its innovation, customization and eco-friendly practices.

HelloFresh Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HelloFresh US?

Original review: May 4, 2022

I expected to be more overwhelmed cooking these restaurant-quality meals, but surprisingly I've been pulling it off really well! The recipe cards give step-by-step directions that are easy to follow. Granted there have been times I misread them and messed up, but thankfully it had little effect on the outcome of the meal. However, it takes me triple the amount of time to make the recipes because I'm severely limited on space, so I'm constantly seeking counter space to mix or set something, not to mention, I don't always have quality tools for the job which would really speed things up!

Of the dozen meals we've tried so far, there have been a couple times I had to toss a produce item because it was no good, but on the bright side, the meals turned out wonderfully anyway and their produce overall is pretty exceptional. I've learned that shallots (something I've never bought or used before) are used frequently and are delightful types of onion and excellent when minced (or chopped & smashed if you don't have a mincer) and added to sauces.

So far we've tried meals with ground beef, ground pork, beef tenderloins, shrimp, scallops and chicken both ground and fileted. Only one tenderloin was a little tough, but every other meat & seafood was top-notch! Next time if a tenderloin feels tough, I'll try meat tenderizer on it beforehand. The sauces I've learned to make have been delectable, and I'm SO GLAD they send ingredients for them so I'm not buying large quantities to eventually toss out. If we really love something, we can always buy larger quantities of it for another time.

I definitely recommend having things commonly used on hand like salt, pepper, sugar, butter, sour cream, a garlic press, and so on. We're super happy to be a part of Hello Fresh, because I've learned a tremendous amount of kitchen skills and haven't had to throw away an inedible meal yet! If you knew me, you'd know that was tragically commonplace in our home prior to joining Hello Fresh! So, naturally we're saving money & eating better too! I literally can't stop telling people about how amazing I am in the kitchen now thanks to Hello Fresh!!!!

Get buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 10, 2022

I've been using HelloFresh for about 6 months now. I order 2 meals per week and, since I'm single I get anywhere from 2-3 meals from each. I like that there is virtually no waste and the meals are enabling me to eat a healthier diet with more variety that I'm used to. That being said, I've experienced packaging issues with my boxes. Missing ingredients, completely missing meals, poor quality vegetables. The most recent was a box that came yesterday with only one recipe card and it wasn't even for a meal I ordered. Each time I report it using the app and they will credit my account and tell me that they are going to report it. I live in the desert southwest so I'm a bit skeptical of what my boxes are going to be like when the temps here get over 90 degrees. I have some favorite meals. I mostly order fish, chicken and vegetarian meals. I have a new love for couscous. I love that lemons are used regularly in my recipes. Overall, this has been a good thing for me.

Original review: March 16, 2022

I am locked out from Hello Fresh, but this has nothing to do with the post. I made the "Cheesy Smothered Mushroom Chicken" from the recipe on HF website. It was so delicious and simple I am thrilled to bring to work and share with my coworkers tomorrow. Only thing is, I can feed 5 people spending only 12 bucks. But that will be possible if you want to shop for the ingredients. LOVE THE RECIEPE. PS. Made my own consommé from the whole chicken I got for 5 bucks; I use the breast part for the cutlets in this recipe. Still have the drumsticks and thighs.

Original review: March 5, 2022

Purchasing HelloFresh meals is one the best decisions I’ve made in the last year. As a fitness instructor with rather basic cooking skills, these meals and recipes have given me a confidence in the kitchen that I’ve never before experienced. When it comes to the kitchen, I get very anxious. Searching for healthy meals on social media and scrolling through so many ideas is rather overwhelming. Watching short videos on Instagram or TikTok are great, but having to rewatch them several times as I cook is tedious.

HelloFresh Meals are a great way to get started cooking in the kitchen. As I make the meals, I gain confidence in my abilities and look where I can make substitutes to better fit my diet and nutritional needs. I’ve been wanting to take a cooking class for years, but haven’t found what I’m looking for nor really have the time to commit with my busy schedule. HelloFresh delivers you 4 meals a week (per your preference) and provides simple well-written guidance to each meal. There is no wondering how thick your meat is and trying to determine the correct cooking time. I don’t have to worry about grocery shopping. They deliver the exact amount of each ingredient that you need to cook each meal. HelloFresh has done more than just deliver easy convenient meals to my doorstep. It has positively changed my experience in the kitchen. I highly recommend this service to anyone wanting to try new dishes or looking for convenient meals.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2022

About two years ago, I moved out of my family house and moved into a one-bedroom apartment on my own. I loved it! The freedom, the space, and the ability to choose my own food were awesome as I had always relied on the groceries my family would buy. However, I quickly learned that being in charge of my diet was a challenge. As a student attending night classes and working as an intern at a software company during the day, I struggled finding the time and supplies to properly feed myself.

Welcome HelloFresh!!! HelloFresh is an amazing subscription-based food delivery service that users can use to pick various meals throughout a wide range of selections each week. The meats and produce are packaged very well and are always fresh and delicious. In fact, HelloFresh revamped their packaging to be more environmentally friendly this year. Not only are the meals delicious, but they are all so easy to make. I feel like a real Gordon Ramsey after cooking one of these meals! My favorite meal is the Chicken Sausage Rigatoni. The perfectly cooked garlic, sausage and blush sauce will have your kitchen smelling delectable!

The service is super-customizable as well. If you need to skip a week here and there, no worries! I, personally, use HelloFresh three or four times a week depending on my schedule and have, to this day, cooked 154 meals! My knife skills are seriously getting good! Each week, you are given roughly twenty meals to choose from. The selections can be anything from a Balsamic chicken dish, to a steak frites, to a spaghetti Bolognese, really anything you could want. They also have a “pantry” section in which they have options for breakfast, snacks, smoothies and so much more. All of these products come with an extra charge though. I personally do not use the pantry very often as I like to keep my weekly charge uniform. However, the items I have tried, each of them is more delicious than the last!

Each dish comes with a customized recipe card and pre-measured ingredients that make it super easy to create delicious meals at home in about a half-an-hour! For example, all the sauces and seasonings come pre-measured so there is no real risk of overdoing anything. Each card walks you through every step of the recipe from prep to plating. As a novice cook, this was the perfect way for me and anyone with little-to-no cooking skills to dive headfirst into the culinary world. As for price, this is totally customizable. Depending on how many meals per week you decide to cook, the price of your subscription will change. Each meal roughly breaks down to $7.99 per meal, which is perfect for me! Again, this service is 100% customizable so adjust your plan however you see fit!

The packaging is very well designed and the products come intact and unopened. The product arrives in a small, thick cardboard box that is insulated containing a gallon-sized freeze pack. They even have redesigned their products to be more environmentally safe and fully recyclable, including the freeze pack.. I can trust each week that all produce and meat products will arrive safely, even in bad weather. In fact, I have only had one specific product come tainted. Not an entire box, literally one item. Which leads me to the next plus for this company: customer service.

When I found the faulty packaging in my order I called customer service with minimal wait to be greeted by a lovely human being, not an automated service. She listened to my complaints and not only refunded the price of that box, but credited me for a free meal the next week as well. HelloFresh really is a top-notch service. You will be creating fresh, affordable meals just for one or the whole family in about a half an hour, and learning a new skill on the way!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2023

This is a terrible company. The product is ok, not worth the money but not terrible. The service and subscription is a SCAM though. They will do nothing for you customer service wise. They want their pound of flesh and that's it. For example, I realized this morning I am out of town for my next delivery. My next delivery is 4 full 24 hour days away. I called and asked to move it to the following week when I return. Nope! Even with 4 full days notice, they refused to move the delivery. And were total ** about it too. DO NOT USE HELLO FRESH. IT IS A SCAM.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2023

I have been a loyal customer to Hello Fresh. Recently I have had some issues not getting boxes on time as well as not getting them at all. When I inquired about the missing box I was lied to. I asked for a refund as well as the credit on my account for wrong boxes/missing ingredients, because hello fresh is no longer dependable. They refused to refund me saying I would get my box eventually. This is not how you treat loyal customers who spend their hard earned money on your products.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2023

They saved my change to 5 meals, but didn't save my meal selection yesterday. As of today, I can no longer make changes, however it was their mistake, they are refusing to do anything about it. They are quick to take the money for 5 meals, just can't be bothered to provide the meals requested. Customer service is appalling. I truly wish I have not ordered from them now.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2023

Today I found out if you replace a meal in your plan with a premium they charge you double for the meal. Let's say you have a 4 meal plan for $58, if you chose a premium meal, they charge you the $14 for the normal plan meal and then another $18 on top of that for the premium meal. For a meal of Smoky Spanish Rice with Shrimp the cost was over $16 per serving not counting shipping. Overall their meals are tasty and if you stick with the basic meals they select for you and stay away from any premium offerings the price to value is almost worth it while receiving the new subscription discount. After the new subscription discount expires I'm not sure it is worth the cost. As of their excess charges for their premium meals, they sell the same shrimp a' la carte for $7 for two servings. So in effect you are paying $9 per serving extra for rice and garnishes.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2023

Honestly the recipes are 50/50. Sometimes they are pretty good and other times they are flat out gross. The food comes already wilted and borderline bad on the day of delivery and the meat can come smelling off or just straight up open and leaking everywhere. I've tried other meal delivery services before and this one just isn't worth it for the money you pay.

HelloFresh Company Information