Accredited Partner

HelloFresh

HelloFresh
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.88/5
Based on 4,822 ratings submitted in the last year

As a global leader in providing fresh food to consumers' doorsteps, HelloFresh wants to ensure every household has the opportunity to enjoy delicoius and healthy food. They have a variety of meal plans to choose from and each plan includes ingredients that are sourced locally and delivered at a time convenient for their subscribers. Menus and deliveries can be managed through their mobile app and their customer care team is available to answer any questions. Call or visit their site today!

HelloFresh Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: April 2, 2020

So far my experience with this program has been mostly positive. Though I do have several criticisms to make generally with that said I will also offer solutions so I'm not coming off like a **. There is no place in the initial subscribing nor menus nor app for me to report my specific allergies to remove those items for the menus or to make you aware. Could you make a place for common allergies to be removed from menus. It probably a liability thing anyways.

The meal selection is excellent and provides a cool template for you to work with for a starting, I would like to see few more meals with perhaps a heavier calorie count. The menu global representative of food is also good but I noticed no Indian or African meals so far and that's too bad cause they delicious. But maybe I skipped them? Also there is a lot of rice based meals race or mash. Can we get more salad sides that come with the meals? The delivery service is a little misleading but it's all good. These are touch and go times. Maybe it's just me. It would be cool to get late notifications for shipping for 2 reasons.

1. I was hoping I could count on the set schedule but these are demanding times for all of us here in the US.

2. I need notifications for shipping or late days so I can get a heads up if you're gonna be late. I didn't appreciate being misled because it's really not a huge deal. But I want to need to know when the food is ships because your phone agents said then shipping is safe for 48 hours ideally so if UPS drops the ball I need to know when honestly sent a package so I know if it is safe for consumption.

But the meals were delicious. I like to see more saucier and heavier caloric meals more food from abroad cause I'm broke and can't travel. But yea I think you can fix all that.

Get expert buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

I cannot say enough about my experience with Hello Fresh. I am a working corporate executive mother of 2 boys under the age of 5. My husband works a demanding service sales job in the auto industry. I work 52 miles from home. Getting home and cooking healthy meals is a struggle. We had become reliant and bored over the same meals week after week. Getting the grocery store even on a weekend is tough and not really having a plan so to speak ended up in us throwing away a lot of unused fresh expensive produce. My sister in law suggested Hello Fresh and pushed us a Free Box to start. We have been hooked ever since!!

I have tried and LOVED dishes I would have never thought to try in the past. I have loved getting in the kitchen and being successful at making a meal without setting the house fire alarms off just by following 6 easy steps! I LOVE that the meals are portion controlled, my husband and I have lost a significant amount of weight in the past 6 months without changing anything else in our diets. I LOVE that the meal come with just what you need. No more throwing away unused food. I love that I don't have to go to the grocery store! I stop once a week for milk, eggs and maybe a thing or two but that chore has been eliminated!! I would recommend and have this service to everyone and anyone! My wish is for Hello Fresh to sell their spices so I can recreate the meals for loved ones!!! Thank you for bringing fun and a little extra spice to our kitchen, lives and bellies Hello Fresh!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

As an intro, I don't like to cook, and my wife confessed to running short of ideas, so we signed up for a trial run with HelloFresh. First off, we have found the recipes well organized and easy to follow, with ingredients, including the meats, in generous supply for a 2 person subscription. Quality of ingredients is at least on par with our Publix grocery and since the meal bags have everything portioned out there is nothing much left over to throw out or try to use in something else. Some complain about the amount of packaging, which to me is not excessive and assures you have the right portions for the dish you prepare. The larger stuff is all recyclable anyway. I will admit I messed up a couple of sauces a bit, and could have done better with presentation, but all meals so far have passed muster with flying colors.

My wife is picky and has embraced the concept. We are now sharing cooking duties on HelloFresh nights since she wants to help me get it right. We eat out a lot, but perhaps will do less so now. Price per meal with drinks runs between $10 and $15, less than half of what we would spend in a restaurant for comparable fare. We usually complement the dishes with a salad from a salad bag, and have our own favorite wines. The favorite word for whoever writes the recipes is "drizzle" and I'm about to get a sense of just how much a drizzle entails. You do need to have your own salt, pepper, and cooking oil since the quantities of those required are tiny. We also have a rice cooker and a zester, which have speeded up some of the preps to faster than spec'd.

Since you are the "chef" you need some obvious utensils like knives, baking pans, frying pans, pots, spatulas, etc. but pretty minimal. So far we're pleased with meal selection and variety. The menu choices rotate so you can avoid repeats for a long time. I would rate us as still in the newbie category, but if our first experiences are representative, HelloFresh is a keeper.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

I've really enjoyed the variety of HelloFresh meals and the simple-to-understand instructions, which has allowed my partner and I to create awesome shared cooking moments in the kitchen. I love to cook anyway, but it's really helped him develop an interest in cooking and get a better grasp on how to use certain seasonings and what ingredients pair together well. I've also really liked learning new and easy cooking techniques! The vegetarian recipes are also surprisingly delicious. While expensive, we've done the math and you really do get your money's worth in terms of ingredients - even before you factor in convenience.

Some of the things I'm not a huge fan of are the amount of packaging waste that the entire box comes with. Everything comes in separate plastic wrappings, and while certainly individual packaging is a necessity, I would love to see more efforts at recyclable or compostable materials. The available menus do also get a bit formulaic and the algorithms seem to favor meals that you've had before when you forget to select your meals for the week. I've had enough of Figgy Balsamic Pork for the rest of the year and probably next year too. Would love to see more variety and also types of food offered.

Lastly, I get that the meals are trying to be as delicious as possible, but there are some ingredients that many of the recipes use (i.e. sour cream, chicken/beef/veggie stock concentrates, all the salt) that aren't particularly healthy and could be easily substituted for other ingredients (like yogurt or just less salt). Overall, I really enjoy the product but the convenience of it doesn't outweigh my issues enough for me to order every week.

Original review: May 11, 2019

HelloFresh has changed the way my husband and myself are eating now, in a positive way. It literally has changed our lives! We are a couple in our early 60’s and I’ve always been the primary cook, until HelloFresh. Cooking meals for me had become boring and repetitious. It had become depressing to cook for the two of us, oftentimes we’d go out to eat because we couldn’t decide what to cook. We both work full-time jobs; I’d come in from work either too tired to want to cook or my husband, who only grilled meats at the time, wouldn’t feel like grilling. Now after 42 years of marriage with me the primary cook he’s now in the kitchen cooking too and it’s a freakin’ miracle!!! We look forward to our meals coming and we are eating out so much less. In fact, since we’ve started HelloFresh we don’t have the cravings for restaurant fare like we used to do. After a meal we’ve prepared we honestly feel as though we’ve been out to eat! My only wish is that we could afford HelloFresh for every evening, but we cannot now.

My only comments/suggestions has to do with the vegetables. As I’ve shared in the past, you offer a great deal of green beans, potatoes and broccoli. We’ve grown tired of those and do get excited when we see asparagus or salads offered. We would love to see more of a variety in the vegetable line, such as: English peas, Blackeyes, Bell Peppers, Brussels sprouts, Spinach, Fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, etc. Also next year, for Mother’s Day, I would love to purchase the breakfast brunch, but only if it was available for two and not for four persons. I was disappointed because it looked so good, but it was unrealistic for us because it would have been way too much food. My daughter’s live away and there wasn’t anyone else who could enjoy the brunch with us. It would have been an honor for my husband to have prepared the meal for me.

Last comments - you may want to suggest on your recipe cards for the meals which include fresh herbs, like green onions, parsley, sweet basil, etc. immediately upon receipt to open the brown bags and remove them from their packaging. My suggestion is to place them in a glass container filled with cool fresh water, until ready to use them. Every day they should additional fresh water to the container and leave them in a sunny location. I’ve learned the hard way when I’ve had to throw out some herbs because they wilted /rotted beyond use while in the refrigerator in the original container. They keep so much better this way - and in fact, I’m growing basil that I had left over. It rooted in the jar so I’ve planted it and it is doing well in my kitchen! Now I’ve started green onions and parsley, hopefully they will do well too. Thank you HelloFresh for changing my world and making food preparation something fun again!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HelloFresh US?

Original review: April 6, 2020

We started using HelloFresh about 6 months ago and it was the best decision we have ever made. It is so nice to come home and not have to think about what we need to make for dinner. The meals are quick, easy, and so good!

Original review: April 6, 2020

I have been using Hellofresh for a couple of weeks now, and LOVE it! The meals have been delicious and easy to make. It is great to receive the order with everything you need to make these fabulous meals! Customer Service has been very helpful as well when I had a couple of questions.

Original review: April 6, 2020

So many choices each week. The meals are easy and quick to fix. So happy, during this time of quarantine, to have my box arrive weekly, with everything I need for 3 delicious meals. The meats and seafood is better than I can buy in the stores!

Original review: April 6, 2020

I hate going to the grocery store - Hello Fresh is delicious and dependable and a real blessing after work to not have to think about what to male for dinner, My family loves the variety and surprise of the box each week. REALLY A BLESSING WHILE THE VIRUS RAGES.

Original review: April 4, 2020

Experience has been good. Quick to answer problems or issues with food. Would be nice for long term customers to receive free items or discounts from time to time. Also add new items more instead of switching from maybe week to week. Don't like that better meal cost more money to order, already pay for meals and are expected to get same amount of meals every week. Be nice if you can change how many meals per week, especially on weeks where there is nothing you like to make that many times.

HelloFresh US expert review by ConsumerAffairs

A Berlin-based company with U.S. headquarters in New York City, HelloFresh delivers fresh ingredients and recipes to the customers each week for them to prepare at home. The company even partners with famed chef Jamie Oliver for exclusive recipes.

• Various options: HelloFresh offers options for vegetarians, as well as larger boxes for families.

• Subscription service: HelloFresh sells a "subscription" that automatically renews each week unless you opt out.

• Wide delivery range: The company delivers anywhere in the continental U.S.

• Small suppliers: Food is purchased from smaller suppliers for the freshest ingredients.

• Choose your meals: You can choose which meals you receive each week to suit your own individual tastes and needs.

• Best for: Busy individuals, busy families and people looking to expand their cooking knowledge.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team