4.02/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

HelloFresh

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

As a global leader in providing fresh food to consumers' doorsteps, HelloFresh wants to ensure every household has the opportunity to enjoy delicoius and healthy food. They have a variety of meal plans to choose from and each plan includes ingredients that are sourced locally and delivered at a time convenient for their subscribers. Menus and deliveries can be managed through their mobile app and their customer care team is available to answer any questions. Call or visit their site today!

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 17, 2017

700 HelloFresh Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I decided to try HelloFresh when I got a promo for it. Knowing how quick all subscription box companies work to charge you, if I didn't love it or felt it was worth the cost, I made a note to cancel my plan after the first box arrived (there is like a 2-day window that allows for this). I received my first box... half the ingredients intended to be inside their own self-contained bags were outside and jumbled up. Next, one of the meals I received wasn't what was on the schedule and I didn't have a recipe for it. When I reached out to customer service, I was sent a $20 credit (I had to reach out twice) but what good does the money do me if I can actually cook the food?

Bibimbap rice isn't something I know how to prepare off the top of my head and the ingredients are perfectly portioned... Also, couldn't I just have been sent the recipe that I'm sure is somewhere in their archives? Whatever. Inconvenient but I'd already made up my mind. This wasn't the meal box subscription for me as a single woman. BUT. I continue to receive spammy emails from them. Fine. Annoying but I can deal and unsubscribe.

The icing on the cake was today, when I was sitting at work, my phone rings. I pick up because it looks like it could be a legitimate call from a legitimate number and it's HelloFresh, calling me on my CELL PHONE in the MIDDLE of the day. Some customer representative named Maya, calling from a New York number, saying she is from HelloFresh... because of course they are. Guys. Are you really resorting to calling me in the middle of the day after I ordered one box to test it out like a month ago??? COME ON.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I had to put in all my credit info to get deep enough into the website to find out they wouldn’t work with my food allergies - even though the ads make it sound like they will. Then they wouldn’t let me cancel - had to get the first box. It just arrived after 12 days and the rotten meat stunk up my entryway - through the box. They can’t refund me but gave me a credit - So they just took my money.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I liked HelloFresh initially. I received a package with raw chicken leaking all over the other contents and the person I spoke to dealt with it immediately. Last week I logged on to choose meals for delivery and select three out of the 5 choices given. A day later, Wednesday, I received an email saying: "Time to select your meals" and that the cut off was Friday. I thought this was odd and logged on Friday morning to see what happened. The meals I had chosen were no longer selected and they indicated they were sending some other ones I did not want.

I reached out to customer service and the person, "Laury" kept calling me my last name, not Ms. or Mrs or Mr. Just blatant, like: "Smith". I thought that was weird but I said whatever, if she can fix it, so be it. Instead she responded with answers that had absolutely nothing to do with my request. You could tell by the emails she had not actually read my message and kept sending generic fake polite messages like "happy cooking!" She asked me how my meals were and if I enjoyed them, when I was writing because I needed help with meals that were scheduled for the following Tuesday. I didn't enjoy them, because I haven't even gotten them yet!

She insisted that my membership doesn't show my first name on her computer. Try reading my emails where my name is signed at the end. If you read them you would know what help I'm looking for and that I don't have a delivery yet. She told me if I had requested help earlier they would have been able to help me but it was now too late. What sense does that make? It was not my mistake, and if the problem had arisen earlier I would have contacted earlier! I told them if this how they conduct business I had enough. She immediately responded by canceling my membership and saying "I DID read your messages and canceled as you requested." Never dealt with the problem itself, never admitted that she was sending me messages that were completely wrong and ignored my request for rectifying the situation.

All I wanted was to have them send the meals I requested, not what they changed it to in their system. Even if the meals didn't come, the passive-aggressive behavior of the customer service person and her ignoring the details of my email just made me so upset. I asked if I could speak to someone else, a supervisor or manager. She replied "Call the 800 number and when you get through, ask for someone." Wow. All this time I spoke with the same person one to one and now when I ask if I can speak to someone higher up, (I still asked very politely even though I was getting so frustrated.) she just brushed me off. My request for help was such a simple one. All this unnecessary back and forth. Just so disappointed.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I love having a meal service. Overall - I love not having to 1) Decide what to cook for dinner. 2) Wonder if I have the proper ingredients. 3) Take forever prepping the meal -- It is never more than 45 and usually only 30 minutes from starting prep to sitting down to eat. If I didn't feel like cooking, it sometimes takes us 30 minutes just to decide on where to get take out. Now I just prep and cook the meal - and it is ALWAYS better than take out.

Every meal has been delicious. I am pleasantly surprised when I look at a meal recipe - and think - meh. But when we sit down and take that first bite, I LOVE it! The portions are perfect (even for my husband who could eat more, but is still satisfied). Some meals, I can't even finish. Cons: Vegetables/herbs later in the week can be not so fresh or unusable. I have learned to check each bag upon delivery to make sure that doesn't happen. Deliveries can be late - I had to change my delivery date, so I'm not counting on the delivery for that day. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

So far all the meals have been delicious and my husband even likes them... I really enjoy cooking them too. Have already recommended them to quite a few people and I’m really glad I decided to try them myself... Everything has been top quality so far.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HelloFresh US?

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

We are extremely satisfied with our HF experience. Delivery is 100% reliable, the recipes are easy to follow, the ingredients are always fresh and we've really liked almost all of the menus. We are not foodies, but HF has really upped the quality of our dinner meals. Would definitely recommend to others -- and have done so.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I signed up for HelloFresh for about 5 seconds before I found out how they do business. I had to give them my personal info before I could actually learn about menus etc. I did it though because I was anxious to try them out and I had a 3 meals free link plus free shipping (off of their website). After I signed up I had to sign up for 2 people because there was no option for a single person. They signed me up for six meals and charged me $29.00 which is not free and misleading. They took it immediately out of my PayPal account.

At this point I was still willing to try them but I wanted to know why that happened since it did not say I had to buy 3 to get three. Also the way it charged was $30.00 off. But I was still buying 3 meals. I spoke to the agent and he was really nice (Tamier) but he told me the only way I could get it totally free was I needed a link from a friend and then I got a free meal. I explained that in this case it said 3 free meals and free shipping period. He again told me the same thing.

I then went to the website and read it to him verbatim. He again apologized but said that is how it works. I asked for a supervisor, still willing to follow through since he had been so nice. He tried to put me through. I told him I wanted the supervisor to know that this was misleading and they should remove it from their website or honor it; After being on hold forever for the 2nd time he came back with the supervisors answer, that I didn't get it free unless a friend gave me the link. I asked to speak to the supervisor directly and again Tamier tried to get this sup on the phone for me. He said she would call me back. I told him I had originally planned on posting the website to my FB for all my friends, but since they are not honoring what they say and forcing people to buy 3 meals first that I did not want my friends to feel "scammed" like me.

I also asked him to cancel my order and my account. I told him to stay on the phone until I had an email proof that he had done so. The email came through. I thanked him and recommended he work for since he was so nice. Shortly thereafter I received an email from HelloFresh that said my order was canceled and after October 18th I would receive no further shipments!!

I called the company back and they canceled that shipment and credited my account. Since I have NO FAITH in this company I printed it and will make sure that credit is physically in my account. I think this is sneaky and underhanded and the supervisor did not want to have to explain it because it is par for the course of how these folks do business. I DO NOT recommend this shoddy way of doing business, and do not recommend this company to my friends. There are many other similar companies that value their customers and don't have to resort to sneaky tactics to get business in the first place.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

The meals & recipes are good. The vegetables are not enough for two people it’s a very small amount that is included with the recipe sometimes the potatoes are small serving as well- the pasta always seems like a good serving. Delivery service could be improved my box was left out in the rain when I have other doors with a roof over it. One week the delivery person left my box halfway down the driveway instead of just driving the car down and bringing it to the door.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I was a member for 7 minutes and even that was too long. I received a coupon in an order from a clothing brand and decided to check it out. Before you can view the meals and options, HelloFresh requires your credit card and personal info. Thinking I was simply setting up my account information to use in a later check out, I gave my credit card info. I was charged in that instant before even selecting my meals for the week. I immediately canceled my plan and called customer service for a 3-5 day refund. Pretty Shady system.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

My experience with HelloFresh has been wonderful. I like the new box packaging instead of the cotton. I believe it keeps the food very fresh. If I have problems with my order, I'm always credited. Customer Service noted the problems. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I recently subscribed for weekly deliveries of the 2-person regular meal plan. I am pleased with the choice of entrees, the first three entrees/recipes very good. I did receive a spoiled lemon and cucumber, (fortunately I already stock these in my fridge). I contacted customer service with photos of each and received a $10.00 credit for each item for future meals. Both telephone and email contacts had appropriate response times (email very fast). The recipe index available online as well as the glossy full page sized recipe cards that accompany each purchased meal are very nice. I purchased a plain binder to store them. Also included are complete nutritional info guides for each recipe. So to sum it all up... Great recipes utilizing simple ingredients and tasty recipes. In my opinion the cost and convince is worthwhile for my crazy busy life.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

My husband and I used to subscribe to Blue Apron, but he did not like it because the food was not "normal." We found the recipes hard to follow and very intricate for home cooks who wanted to spend some time together in the kitchen. He was hesitant because of our past experience, but we gave HelloFresh a try. We LOVE HelloFresh! First, we appreciate all of the options that come with our meal plan, and we love that we can find meals that we can agree on (you know, "normal" food). The recipes are much simpler and easy to follow. We also like the 20 minute option, especially on nights we know we have a lot to do.

We are keeping all of our recipe cards because we feel they require inexpensive ingredients and we can enjoy them time and time again. The convenience of HelloFresh saves us time meal planning, creating grocery lists, and spending time in the store. We can maintain our busy lifestyle and still make time to catch up while we make dinner together. Oh, and by the way, everything we've had has been delicious! Thank you, HelloFresh!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

We just love HelloFresh, the customer service is incredible. We have had delivery issues & I'm so happy to say they have been resolved. Thank you. I can now get back to cooking. Well done to the chefs who give us such great recipes & quality food? Thank you so much.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I am happy with the service. The food is good and fairly easy to prepare. Have only been disappointed by a few recipes. Have had some issues with getting the wrong food, rotted food, or opened food, but the customer service has been wonderful in responding to such issues. I have recommended to many friends and give my freebies away all the time because I believe this service is good for the value and it’s nice to have variety of pretty healthy meals.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

My husband & I are very glad we discovered HelloFresh! It has changed us from fast-food junkies to home chefs! The entire process - from choosing a menu to delivery, and cooking the meals - is super easy & convenient! We have recommended the service and will continue to recommend the service to others.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Every week I get excited for my box to come. I love being able to pick from the three different categories of dinners. My favorite categories have been Classic and Family. I love that HelloFresh teaches me to cook in ways I've never had before. I also love the new and exciting ingredients I've never cooked before. HelloFresh has opened a whole new world of exciting meals for myself and my family. The price is just right and the staff is amazing. I have spoken to more than one customer service rep for different issues and I've always been treated kindly. Every issue I've had has been taken care of immediately, however once an agent had to research something for me and promptly emailed me back. I have so many favorite recipes that I used them to make holiday dinner for my family a few weeks ago.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I think you have a good idea. But, it wasn't for me. As a single woman it was too much. Possibly smaller portions so could be prepared fresh each meal instead rewarmed... Also felt not enough sauce provided. But did like portion packaging. I currently have a credit to use as I was sent a shipment I hadn't ordered. Not sure how and when to use.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

My life has become far. l was stressful since starting HelloFresh. I'm so like cooking but meal planning is miserable and shopping is increasingly hard with two opinionated toddlers. The meals have been really tasty and a bit healthier than we usually eat as well.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I LOVE the fact that I get 4 meals per week delivered every Saturday morning to my home address with everything I need to prepare most of my meals. Unlike other dinner programs we have looked at, HelloFresh has more options each week to choose from and once you pick one meal, this service does not limit your choices into a specific package. We started with 3 meals per week and after a couple months upped our meals to 4 per week. My husband & I love the HelloFresh meals! I take pictures because the meals are so beautiful - here are just a few!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I am not a person who ordinarily enjoys cooking. I do it when I have to, so when I was introduced to HelloFresh, I was very skeptical. My primary concern was about the quality of the food. Having been a customer now for about 3 months, I have to say I am very pleased and very happy I took the chance at trying them out.

To begin, you get to select from 8(?) different dishes per week. There is always something for every taste and the quality of the food has been on par with what I would have chosen myself at the supermarket. Waste is kept to a minimum as you are given exactly what you need for your recipe. The recipes are generally easy and none have taken more than an hour from start to finish.

I also appreciate that the meals aren't too "gourmet" (meaning I know what I'm making and I know the likelihood of it being eaten). The meals are different enough though to make them fun to try! The meat is shipped under huge packs of ice. The ice is always frozen when I get the box and honestly, I am well impressed with the quality of the meat. The cuts are often better than what I buy prepackaged at the market. Lastly, I love that you can choose to skip as many box shipments as you need to (Maybe there just isn't enough of what you'll like, or maybe you'll be away for a time).

For someone like me, the cost of HelloFresh is comparable to what I'd ordinarily spend on feeding 2 adults. It's definitely the same if not cheaper than a night eating out. I find this program also saves money because there is no food wasted (That no food is wasted is in itself a good thing!). I use what I've been given for supplies and there is no excess to pack away and forget. The size of the meals are adequate for average eaters (we feel satiated after a meal) however, if you have a hearty eater, you may need to order the larger meal package. We occasionally will have leftovers but not often. They even supply a nutritional card for all the meals, allowing me to follow/monitor my dietary needs. Nice touch!

For me, this program allows me to enjoy a little bit of cooking without feeling obligated to cook daily (3 meals a week in a 2 person box). I also feel good about making something delicious AND healthy! The only downside I can see, is the ice packs. About 85% of all the material in the box is recyclable (Well done HelloFresh!) but the ice packs are a necessary evil and I can no longer give any away. It would be nice if they could accept them back and reuse them somehow. I plan on continuing the service so long as the food quality remains as good as its been. We love rating the dishes and I take pics of every meal for fun.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I am a pretty good cook and have always cooked dinner most every evening for my family. HelloFresh has been so much fun! I love the recipes and variety. I have so much fun with recipes I would never have tried before! I am sold!!! Will continue to order!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

All the boxes I have received have been fresh with good recipes that I have been able to make that I never would have tried on my own. They have clear instructions and the food combinations are always tasty. A great way to eat well.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I notice that sometime the spring mix or spinach, by the time I receive the box, are slightly wilted. In my latest meal of tilapia, the asparagus was questionable meaning the spears were woody and stringy. The recipe instructed to cook the asparagus for 10 to 12 min. As the asparagus was very thin this time and temp would have cremated it. There should be better quality control over produce size and recipe.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I will admit I was a little skeptical when I agreed to my free trial, but man have I changed my attitude!! I love how I don't have to meal plan and go to the store, love the portion control, and love the recipes!!! And this is coming from someone who's been cooking 7 meals a week and loving it. Convenient, easy & very tasty!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I am generally very satisfied with HelloFresh, I really enjoy the ease of it. Having everything sent to me prepackaged makes dinner much easier. I find the recipes are very easy to make and enjoyable. Sometimes certain ingredients are an issues, the avocados are never ready to use for any of the meals. One other thing is I understand recipes will be in a rotation and will repeat, which I do not mind but I have seen one recipe go for 3 weeks straight that to me seems like it is just redundant. But I am generally very satisfied with HelloFresh and will continue to integrate it into my cooking schedule.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

The quality of food and menu choices are excellent and customer service is always great! If there is any sort of problem with any of the food products they give credit for the next food delivery. I'm completely satisfied with HelloFresh!!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I love this meal subscription plan. Every week opening a HelloFresh box is like opening a Christmas present! I love these meals and I love learning a new way to cook and prepare food! It is like eating restaurant quality food at home!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I love HelloFresh! The recipes are beyond tasty! And they send EVERYTHING you need for the meal! No hunting around for things, or making a quick trip to the store. I love that the meals for 2 will actually make 3 meals so I get leftovers for lunch at work the next day!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

My experience with HelloFresh has been great. The recipes are simple and delicious. The ingredients are fresh and of great quality. I would like to see more creative recipes with flavors from around the world. "Spice" it up a bit. Also, the tracking of delivery is a bit weird and not always up to date. Other than that I have thoroughly enjoyed my experience.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I had been previously using a different service to have meals delivered and thought it was great. I received a coupon to try HelloFresh so I went for it. Right away I noticed a huge difference in freshness, ease of meals, choice of meals, even the way the ingredients were packaged impressed me. I immediately cancelled my other service. Now we have HelloFresh delivered every week and could not be happier.

HelloFresh Company Information