Accredited Partner

HelloFresh
Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.88/5
Based on 5,421 ratings submitted in the last year
Up to $80 off + free shipping on 1st order.

HelloFresh states that its goal is to ensure every household has the opportunity to enjoy delicious and healthy food. The company has a variety of meal plans to choose from, and each plan includes ingredients that are locally sourced and delivered at a time convenient for their subscribers. Customers can manage their menus and deliveries through HelloFresh’s mobile app, and its customer care team is available to answer any questions.

BOTTOM LINE

HelloFresh focuses on delivering fresh, healthy food straight to your door. With a variety of recipes and plan types, there’s something to fit most anyone’s needs and tastes.

PROS

• Flexible pricing
  • Can pause delivery
  • Four plan types
  • Easy cancellation

CONS

• Frequent use can get expensive
  • Limited allergy care

Top HelloFresh Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about HelloFresh US?

My husband and I love ordering from HelloFresh! The food is definitely fresh. The recipes are easy to understand and taste great! There's a lot of great variety with the meals as well ... I also like the flexibility of only needing to order two meals a week but if you want more you can.

We have the vegetarian plan because my wife is a lifelong vegetarian, and all the meals have been wonderful. Oftentimes we see other companies doing vegetarian meals that don't have much substance or are not very filling but I can say that has never been an issue with Hello Fresh.

HelloFresh Learn More

How does HelloFresh work?

HelloFresh is a meal-kit company based in Berlin, Germany. The company is one of the largest meal-kit providers in the U.S., and it works using a few simple steps:

1. Choose a plan based on your lifestyle and needs: The company offers four plans — Meat & Veggies (classic), Veggie (vegetarian), Family Friendly and Low Calorie.
  2. Pick your plan size and frequency: Next, decide if you want food for two or four people and whether you want two, three, four or five meals delivered each week.
  3. Await delivery: Your meals are delivered straight to your door at preset times based on your selections.
  4. Start cooking: Your meal kit includes a detailed and easy-to-follow recipe card and all the ingredients you need to make a delicious meal.

HelloFresh menu

Meat & Veggies plan meals include dishes like balsamic fig chicken with roasted potatoes and mixed greens, while vegetarian meals feature dishes like crunchy chickpea shawarma pitas. Low-calorie meal options, like roasted veggie farro bowls, are dietician-approved and around 650 calories each. The Meat & Veggies and Family Friendly meal plans let you curate a personal menu from a selection of 20 recipes so you can mix and match old classics with new recipes.

Each delivery includes fresh, premeasured ingredients and simple step-by-step recipes with nutritional information. The company has a directory of more than 2,500 recipes with total cook times and calories on its website.

HelloFresh recipes

HelloFresh accommodates every appetite, household size and schedule. Every recipe is created by chefs and tested 200 times. Currently, HelloFresh does not offer the option to tailor plans for specific allergies. However, the Meat & Veggies plan can be customized to be beef-free, pork-free or seafood-free.

HelloFresh employs a team of dieticians that review every ingredient for the eight major allergens (wheat, dairy, soy, eggs, nuts, peanuts, fish and shellfish) and discloses the information next to the meal choice on the HelloFresh website. The company states it’s up to the consumer to read and understand allergens in the ingredients.

HelloFresh price

HelloFresh meals start at $7.49 per serving, but the total price is determined by your plan preferences and size. The company offers four core plan types:

• Meat & Veggies (classic)
  • Veggie (vegetarian)
  • Family Friendly
  • Low Calorie

A Meat & Veggies plan for four people who want two meals per week is $8.99 per serving, and a Low Calorie plan for two people who want two meals per week is $10.99 per serving. Each order has a $7.99 shipping fee.

The company frequently includes coupons and discount codes on its website. No contract is required, and the service can be paused or canceled at any time.

HelloFresh FAQ

How long is HelloFresh good for?
HelloFresh states all ingredients stay fresh for the week in which you receive them, but the company suggests using ingredients that don’t store as well, such as fish, at the beginning of the week.
Can I reuse HelloFresh ice packs?
Yes, ice packs may be reused. Alternatively, some areas offer an ice pack return program, or you can recycle the ice packs by emptying the nontoxic gel into the drain with warm water and recycling the plastic casing.
Is there a minimum subscription length?
There is no minimum length for HelloFresh subscriptions. You can cancel your subscription at any time.
Can I skip a week of my subscription?
If you are traveling or would like to hold your subscription for any reason, you can manage delivery dates within your HelloFresh account. Delivery changes must be made before Wednesday at 11:59 p.m. ET for the following week’s delivery.
How does the food stay fresh in transit?
The company uses specially designed boxes with insulating liners, gel packs and cooling material to help food stay as fresh as possible. HelloFresh modifies its packaging based on the season to ensure maximum freshness.

Is HelloFresh worth it?

HelloFresh helps people enjoy a variety of home-cooked meals without having to pore through recipe books and spend time shopping in grocery stores. The range of flavors, options for vegetarian or low-calorie meals and low-pressure commitment make it a great choice. We recommend HelloFresh for its innovation, customization and eco-friendly practices.

HelloFresh Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HelloFresh?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about HelloFresh US?

Original review: July 2, 2020

We have ordered from HelloFresh (HF) now for roughly 7 months. The quality and taste of the meals is very good, as is the selection. We have had less than a handful of meals that we didn't really like. We used to order from another meal delivery service and would say that both the meals and selection at HF is better. Also, the ingredients for each meal are packed into individual paper bags instead of everything being mixed together in the box. The meats are of very good quality and are one of our favorite things about HF. The instructions are clear and the time estimates are usually pretty accurate. We have learned a number of tips and tricks about cooking that we apply to our own meals and recipes.

Once in a while a meat package might be leaking or a vegetable ingredient may be spoiled, and in these cases a quick visit to the chat support is quickly resolved by a credit to our account. It would be nice to have the option for a replacement to be sent so that we don't have to source a replacement from our local store, but at least they are willing to give a credit. Also, we have noticed that they continue to improve their packaging as time goes by so the frequency of issues has decreased over time (e.g. the meat packages now use a thicker plastic). It should be noted that HF continued to deliver meals throughout worst of the COVID-19 crisis without interruption. I would definitely recommend them to others, and in fact have introduced them to several people through their free trial for friends deal.

Get buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
    Original review: May 1, 2020

We have been receiving Hellofresh meals weekly for about 9 weeks, 5 meals a week and we love the experience.. At first the Veggies and meat were great that we received and there was plenty of them but for the last 5 weeks or sometimes we have barely enough to eat... Sometimes 3 little Yukon gold potatoes between the three of us and same with the veggies.. Once I had just half of a broken carrot and that was the only vegetable we had for that meal apart from a small amount of potatoes... Once we had a tiny sweet potato that was meant to be mashed for two but there was barely enough for a child.. I did complain and got some money back but we still did not have much to eat that day..

Overall the meat is good... I wish you would stop giving us Panko Breadcrumbs every time as I find them gritty and don't use them now and again Italian breadcrumbs or plain ones would be nice.. I love the concept and I like making them but we need more veggies and more variety.. Most of the time it's green beans.. Occasionally brussel sprouts.. We had 4 the other day between the two of us... I know people in England that get HelloFresh and they great desserts.. Really nice ones.. We never have them to choose...so desserts please... I am hoping after the Covid-19 virus has got better the veggies and portions may get better.. Otherwise I may just not order from you anymore.. But I am going to carry on for a few more months and see if it improves.. Having said all of that I must say I enjoy many things of it and it's easy to do... and it has helped us a lot during the virus in not having to go to the supermarket so much.. Thanks.

Original review: May 1, 2020

My first couple shipments with Hello Fresh were a little bumpy because I live in a large apartment complex. It seems that the local delivery drivers and my apartment management just had to get used to dealing with the regular shipments. I lost two boxes of food this way and was frustrated. I'm really glad I stuck with it. Hello Fresh has proven itself truly consistent and willing to provide credit where those first shipments were lost or spoiled. I have not had that problem since the first month.

I have been relying on them since December 2019. The quality of food has been impressive. I love that it is perfectly proportioned so that there is very little food waste. I thoroughly appreciate that there is so much emphasis on green and recyclable packaging. It is affordable and has already reduce my time and money at the grocery store. I already have a top 20 meals that I look for every week. The recipes are very tasty. The instructions are easy to follow with consistent results. The proportion sizes per person are what they should be, and I like that I'm no longer dealing with leftovers that do not get eaten.

I am probably most thankful that Hello Fresh has helped my family get out of a food rut where we were making the same meals over and over again. I love the variety and learning fun, new cooking tricks. I love that there are so many little tweaks and minor changes that can totally change a recipe. I have given free boxes to friends and families and loving sharing my positive experience with this company with anyone who wants to listen. Finally, Hello Fresh has been a lifesaver in the midst of this global pandemic. I've only had one shipment delayed by a single day because of delivery services. Otherwise, relying on these meals to come has taken the pressure off at the grocery store with shortages and new processes that make shopping so difficult. I love Hello Fresh. Thank you for taking your role seriously and staying consistent in trying times.

Original review: April 2, 2020

So far my experience with this program has been mostly positive. Though I do have several criticisms to make generally with that said I will also offer solutions so I'm not coming off like a **. There is no place in the initial subscribing nor menus nor app for me to report my specific allergies to remove those items for the menus or to make you aware. Could you make a place for common allergies to be removed from menus. It probably a liability thing anyways.

The meal selection is excellent and provides a cool template for you to work with for a starting, I would like to see few more meals with perhaps a heavier calorie count. The menu global representative of food is also good but I noticed no Indian or African meals so far and that's too bad cause they delicious. But maybe I skipped them? Also there is a lot of rice based meals race or mash. Can we get more salad sides that come with the meals? The delivery service is a little misleading but it's all good. These are touch and go times. Maybe it's just me. It would be cool to get late notifications for shipping for 2 reasons.

1. I was hoping I could count on the set schedule but these are demanding times for all of us here in the US.

2. I need notifications for shipping or late days so I can get a heads up if you're gonna be late. I didn't appreciate being misled because it's really not a huge deal. But I want to need to know when the food is ships because your phone agents said then shipping is safe for 48 hours ideally so if UPS drops the ball I need to know when honestly sent a package so I know if it is safe for consumption.

But the meals were delicious. I like to see more saucier and heavier caloric meals more food from abroad cause I'm broke and can't travel. But yea I think you can fix all that.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

I cannot say enough about my experience with Hello Fresh. I am a working corporate executive mother of 2 boys under the age of 5. My husband works a demanding service sales job in the auto industry. I work 52 miles from home. Getting home and cooking healthy meals is a struggle. We had become reliant and bored over the same meals week after week. Getting the grocery store even on a weekend is tough and not really having a plan so to speak ended up in us throwing away a lot of unused fresh expensive produce. My sister in law suggested Hello Fresh and pushed us a Free Box to start. We have been hooked ever since!!

I have tried and LOVED dishes I would have never thought to try in the past. I have loved getting in the kitchen and being successful at making a meal without setting the house fire alarms off just by following 6 easy steps! I LOVE that the meals are portion controlled, my husband and I have lost a significant amount of weight in the past 6 months without changing anything else in our diets. I LOVE that the meal come with just what you need. No more throwing away unused food. I love that I don't have to go to the grocery store! I stop once a week for milk, eggs and maybe a thing or two but that chore has been eliminated!! I would recommend and have this service to everyone and anyone! My wish is for Hello Fresh to sell their spices so I can recreate the meals for loved ones!!! Thank you for bringing fun and a little extra spice to our kitchen, lives and bellies Hello Fresh!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

I've tried Blue Apron and Hello Fresh. I love Hello Fresh. It's perfect for me a single, working mom who still wants to cook dinner for family. There are many, many diverse meal options each week, including kid friendly options. I like that I can easily skip weeks as frequently as I want to. The best thing about Hello Fresh is their customer service. They are easy to contact on phone or through messaging and always credit/refund me in case of the rare mistakes, no matter how small, no questions asked. They are a top-notch business that I will continue to support.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2020

HelloFresh was a get well gift. Five meals were delivered the week of Aug. 17th. Greens beans spoiled. Carrots were wilted and rotting. As these were a "gift", they also included an additional five meals, but this time of my choice. Order was delivered today, August 26th. Not one, repeat, NOT ONE of the meals I ordered was included in this order. They were all dinners that I DID NOT REQUEST, NOR WOULD I.

For all the time, work and mess they create while putting them together, then I don't even get what I ordered? When the rotten vegetables I am not looking forward to are thrown in the garbage as uneatable, I also am not looking forward to preparing these meals I DID NOT ORDER. Rest assured, Hello Fresh, I won't be back.
    Ordered: Sesame Szechuan Noodles, Herby Balsamic Pork Tenderloin, Beef Tenderloin with Mushroom Sauce, Italian Noodle Soup, Sirloin & Sherry Shallot Sauce. Received: Cherry Balsamic Pork Chops, Caesar Crunch Chicken, Salsa Verde Enchiladas, Beef Bulgogi Bowls, Chicken Sausage Cavatappi Bolognese.

Failure.

HelloFresh response

Hi Mary, thanks for writing in and letting us know about this. Please email hello@hellofresh.com so that we can take a closer look into this for you.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2020

The last several months the vegetables in all of the meal kits have been very bad- limp/old/slimy. We’ve had to throw out many veggies and use something else. The meat packages also leak. Concerned about food safety. We like HF, but are unhappy with recent quality.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

While the recipes are typically good, the quality of the ingredients that get delivered are not. Over the past few months, I’ve received moldy bread, leaking packages of raw meat, fruits and vegetables that are overripe or badly damaged and inedible, and open bags of rice or pasta that spill everywhere inside the box. I have had to still go to the grocery store to buy replacements for moldy or damaged ingredients just so I could actually cook the recipe.

It’s not worth the money if I don’t have any guarantee that the ingredients are decent quality or if the box will even show up on time (which has been a more common issue recently). Plus, there are a lot of times where the ingredients are not a good size for what the recipe requires. I’ve received bread for sandwich-type meals where two pieces are regular size (6-8” long), and the other two pieces are around 3”, or potatoes smaller than golf balls that I’m somehow expected to make fries with. I definitely would not recommend this service to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

For the second week in a row, my "fresh basil" arrived in a slimy heap in the container. Last week I notified you and I was given a credit. This week, I feel you did not address my concern as far as correcting the problem. Please, please, improve your quality control.

HelloFresh response

Hi Maggie, thanks for writing in. Please email hello@hellofresh.com so that we can take a closer look into this and assist you.

HelloFresh Company Information