Learn More

3.8/5 (5682 ratings)

About HelloFresh

HelloFresh states that its goal is to ensure every household has the opportunity to enjoy delicious and healthy food. The company has a variety of meal plans to choose from, and each plan includes ingredients that are locally sourced and delivered at a time convenient for their subscribers. Customers can manage their menus and deliveries through HelloFresh’s mobile app, and its customer care team is available to answer any questions.

Pros

• Flexible pricing
  • Can pause delivery
  • Four plan types
  • Easy cancellation

Cons

• Frequent use can get expensive
  • Limited allergy care

Bottom Line

HelloFresh focuses on delivering fresh, healthy food straight to your door. With a variety of recipes and plan types, there’s something to fit most anyone’s needs and tastes.

Top HelloFresh Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about HelloFresh US?

Verified

My husband and I love ordering from HelloFresh! The food is definitely fresh. The recipes are easy to understand and taste great! There's a lot of great variety with the meals as ...

Verified

We have the vegetarian plan because my wife is a lifelong vegetarian, and all the meals have been wonderful. Oftentimes we see other companies doing vegetarian meals that don't ha...

How does HelloFresh work?

HelloFresh is a meal-kit company based in Berlin, Germany. The company is one of the largest meal-kit providers in the U.S., and it works using a few simple steps:

1. Choose a plan based on your lifestyle and needs: The company offers four plans — Meat & Veggies (classic), Veggie (vegetarian), Family Friendly and Low Calorie.
  2. Pick your plan size and frequency: Next, decide if you want food for two or four people and whether you want two, three, four or five meals delivered each week.
  3. Await delivery: Your meals are delivered straight to your door at preset times based on your selections.
  4. Start cooking: Your meal kit includes a detailed and easy-to-follow recipe card and all the ingredients you need to make a delicious meal.

HelloFresh recipes

HelloFresh accommodates every appetite, household size and schedule. Every recipe is created by chefs and tested 200 times. Currently, HelloFresh does not offer the option to tailor plans for specific allergies. However, the Meat & Veggies plan can be customized to be beef-free, pork-free or seafood-free.

HelloFresh employs a team of dieticians that review every ingredient for the eight major allergens (wheat, dairy, soy, eggs, nuts, peanuts, fish and shellfish) and discloses the information next to the meal choice on the HelloFresh website. The company states it’s up to the consumer to read and understand allergens in the ingredients.

HelloFresh price

HelloFresh meals start at $7.49 per serving, but the total price is determined by your plan preferences and size. The company offers four core plan types:

• Meat & Veggies (classic)
  • Veggie (vegetarian)
  • Family Friendly
  • Low Calorie

A Meat & Veggies plan for four people who want two meals per week is $8.99 per serving, and a Low Calorie plan for two people who want two meals per week is $10.99 per serving. Each order has a $7.99 shipping fee.

The company frequently includes coupons and discount codes on its website. No contract is required, and the service can be paused or canceled at any time.

HelloFresh FAQ

How long is HelloFresh good for?
HelloFresh states all ingredients stay fresh for the week in which you receive them, but the company suggests using ingredients that don’t store as well, such as fish, at the beginning of the week.
Can I reuse HelloFresh ice packs?
Yes, ice packs may be reused. Alternatively, some areas offer an ice pack return program, or you can recycle the ice packs by emptying the nontoxic gel into the drain with warm water and recycling the plastic casing.
Is there a minimum subscription length?
There is no minimum length for HelloFresh subscriptions. You can cancel your subscription at any time.
Can I skip a week of my subscription?
If you are traveling or would like to hold your subscription for any reason, you can manage delivery dates within your HelloFresh account. Delivery changes must be made before Wednesday at 11:59 p.m. ET for the following week’s delivery.
How does the food stay fresh in transit?
The company uses specially designed boxes with insulating liners, gel packs and cooling material to help food stay as fresh as possible. HelloFresh modifies its packaging based on the season to ensure maximum freshness.

Is HelloFresh worth it?

HelloFresh helps people enjoy a variety of home-cooked meals without having to pore through recipe books and spend time shopping in grocery stores. The range of flavors, options for vegetarian or low-calorie meals and low-pressure commitment make it a great choice. We recommend HelloFresh for its innovation, customization and eco-friendly practices.

HelloFresh Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HelloFresh?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about HelloFresh US?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

Our box arrived as scheduled, packed neatly, and with a small surprise (Snickers brownie). Overall, delivery is consistent. In just over a year with HF, we've only had 2 boxes not show up on delivery day. Both times, HF refunded the box and then one showed up a few days later anyway. Very few mistakes with the actual box items. Twice we've gotten a random meal instead of what we've ordered. Ingredient size can be inconsistent but it always works out! It would be great if the meat was packaged to keep it separate from the rest of the items if it leaks. Meat juice, paper bags, and cardboard box are not a good combination. We still love HF and have given numerous free boxes to friends and family so they can love it too.

Get buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

Overall I’m happy with my experience. I like the variety of meals to choose from each week, and the price for the non gourmet meals is very reasonable. In terms of what I think could be improved upon- many of the meals come with potatoes as a side (either roasted or mashed). I wish that they would use sides of vegetables and side salads more often, and rely on potatoes less. When they do use vegetables as a side, it’s often an incredibly small portion. For example half of a small zucchini, once sautéed, is actually a very small portion size once it’s on the plate. As someone who tries to eat generally healthy, this is a little frustrating. I’ve also found that even though it says meals are good for a week after delivery, I’ve found on more than one occasion that if I wait 4-6 days the vegetables used in the dish become soft and wilted. This especially happens with their spring onions and bagged greens.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

I absolutely love using this meal service. I have been receiving Hello Fresh meals for over a year now. I takes so much hassle out of my life. My boyfriend and I use to bicker about "what's for dinner?" every night. I work 60 hours a week and have little to no energy for grocery stores, the hunting for items, making substitutions for items not available, and then over paying for more than what I may use in a week of meals and or getting home and realizing I forgot key ingredients. On top of the convenience the meals are fantastic. We have yet to get a meal we did not like.

I have to also comment on the amazing customer service I continue to receive from the help department when a box is late. I have been compensated correctly and treated with amazing care. I continue to recommend the company and meals. I have sent out so many free boxes to friends and family and all have enjoyed. Thank you again for keeping us full and happy.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

I love HelloFresh and am disappointed that I have to cancel for now--it just isn't in my budget. I really appreciate that it got me outside of my comfort zone/rut with cooking and trying certain foods. Even the meals I wasn't that crazy about were still pretty tasty. The only quibble I have is that it would be nice to have more gluten free options, or have the ability to pay an extra dollar or two per portion to have gluten free pasta or buns sent. Many of the pasta dishes looked really good, but I didn't want to be sent pasta I can't eat and just have it sitting in my pantry forever. As soon as I am able to afford it again, I will definitely be back.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2021

I love Hellofresh and I am so glad I started it. It tastes just like food from a restaurant and is so easy to make. The price is also pretty good, because it would cost about that much to order these things at a restaurant. We often have leftovers and it is always more than enough to fill us up. We don't really have to buy many other groceries because this is mainly what we eat. It's always something to look forward to every week because of the variety. I like trying new things, but I also think maybe Hellofresh should have some more "normal" things, that are less fancy, like sandwiches or salads as a main dish instead of a side. My dad is very picky and doesn't like trying anything new or adventurous. Also, I loved the little gifts that I would get in each box, and I think Hellofresh should bring that back. Why did you stop? Anyway, I love Hellofresh.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2022

While trying to view menus for Hellofresh, I inadvertently signed up for the service and immediately received confirmation of my upcoming shipment. I called Hellofresh's customer service line immediately. They could not find the account and assured me I would not be charged. That was a Friday. On Monday, my account was charged. I called again, and they refunded only 50% of the order I never wanted. I never even got to choose the food. This company is a scam at worst and at best has an unprofessional, intentionally deceptive website and no policies in place to manage errors like this. I will never recommend them to anyone or use them. Oh, and I made one of the recipes - it was extremely bland. Thanks, guys.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

I've been using HelloFresh for about 9 months. I find that the meals are decent. Some of them are really good. However, the ingredients such as vegetables end up being extremely small of very few. I've had times where the potatoes are smaller than my thumb. And the carrots extremely small as well or poor condition. I also have found that they miss pudding ingredients in quite a bit. I know they're supposed to be from Farm to Table in 7 days, however, I don't know who the farmer is but they should be fired! Poor vegetables probably about 60% of the time.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

NOT easier than cooking any other way- actually quite a bit harder due to the recipes they provide. If you are not an experienced cook, YOU MUST STAY AWAY. The recipes were difficult for me to understand, and I have been cooking since childhood. My 11 year old daughter and I took over an hour to complete a purported 30 minute recipe, and I threw out a lot of the items that needed frying because the frying took a long time and made a HUGE mess. Needed to use $10+ of items out of my own kitchen to complete the recipe. Does not save money, very small portions and small amounts of food in each bag. Packaging was dangerous, only cool packs in the bottom of the box, then cardboard, then food on top of the cardboard- the food was not cool to the touch upon arrival. And for the price, I could have gotten takeout.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

The coupon is misleading. It says 16 free meals but u have to purchase over 200 worth of food to redeem coupon. When I tried to get just the meals I was told I can’t get the free meals without purchasing 5 boxes of food first.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2021

I subscribed to Hellofresh. While I was selecting the menu for the first box, I noticed the preparation times. It was my fault for not realizing that the meals were not microwavable, so I cancelled my subscription less than an hour after I subscribed. My card was charged for the first week. I believed that the charge would be reversed in 5-7 business days as their FAQ page states. However I received an email stating my meals had shipped and was provided a tracking number. I contacted customer service. They told me that because I had subscribed within 5 days of the shipment date, my card was automatically charged and they could only refund 1/2 of my payment. If they had stated that while I was subscribing, I would not have subscribed. So for anyone who is thinking of subscribing, please note that if you subscribe within 5 days of your meals' shipment day, you will not be able to cancel the first shipment.

HelloFresh Company Information