Learn More

3.9/5 (5625 ratings)

About HelloFresh

HelloFresh states that its goal is to ensure every household has the opportunity to enjoy delicious and healthy food. The company has a variety of meal plans to choose from, and each plan includes ingredients that are locally sourced and delivered at a time convenient for their subscribers. Customers can manage their menus and deliveries through HelloFresh’s mobile app, and its customer care team is available to answer any questions.

Pros

• Flexible pricing
  • Can pause delivery
  • Four plan types
  • Easy cancellation

Cons

• Frequent use can get expensive
  • Limited allergy care

Bottom Line

HelloFresh focuses on delivering fresh, healthy food straight to your door. With a variety of recipes and plan types, there’s something to fit most anyone’s needs and tastes.

Top HelloFresh Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HelloFresh US?

Verified

My husband and I love ordering from HelloFresh! The food is definitely fresh. The recipes are easy to understand and taste great! There's a lot of great variety with the meals as ...

Verified

We have the vegetarian plan because my wife is a lifelong vegetarian, and all the meals have been wonderful. Oftentimes we see other companies doing vegetarian meals that don't ha...

How does HelloFresh work?

HelloFresh is a meal-kit company based in Berlin, Germany. The company is one of the largest meal-kit providers in the U.S., and it works using a few simple steps:

1. Choose a plan based on your lifestyle and needs: The company offers four plans — Meat & Veggies (classic), Veggie (vegetarian), Family Friendly and Low Calorie.
  2. Pick your plan size and frequency: Next, decide if you want food for two or four people and whether you want two, three, four or five meals delivered each week.
  3. Await delivery: Your meals are delivered straight to your door at preset times based on your selections.
  4. Start cooking: Your meal kit includes a detailed and easy-to-follow recipe card and all the ingredients you need to make a delicious meal.

HelloFresh menu

Meat & Veggies plan meals include dishes like balsamic fig chicken with roasted potatoes and mixed greens, while vegetarian meals feature dishes like crunchy chickpea shawarma pitas. Low-calorie meal options, like roasted veggie farro bowls, are dietician-approved and around 650 calories each. The Meat & Veggies and Family Friendly meal plans let you curate a personal menu from a selection of 20 recipes so you can mix and match old classics with new recipes.

Each delivery includes fresh, premeasured ingredients and simple step-by-step recipes with nutritional information. The company has a directory of more than 2,500 recipes with total cook times and calories on its website.

HelloFresh recipes

HelloFresh accommodates every appetite, household size and schedule. Every recipe is created by chefs and tested 200 times. Currently, HelloFresh does not offer the option to tailor plans for specific allergies. However, the Meat & Veggies plan can be customized to be beef-free, pork-free or seafood-free.

HelloFresh employs a team of dieticians that review every ingredient for the eight major allergens (wheat, dairy, soy, eggs, nuts, peanuts, fish and shellfish) and discloses the information next to the meal choice on the HelloFresh website. The company states it’s up to the consumer to read and understand allergens in the ingredients.

HelloFresh price

HelloFresh meals start at $7.49 per serving, but the total price is determined by your plan preferences and size. The company offers four core plan types:

• Meat & Veggies (classic)
  • Veggie (vegetarian)
  • Family Friendly
  • Low Calorie

A Meat & Veggies plan for four people who want two meals per week is $8.99 per serving, and a Low Calorie plan for two people who want two meals per week is $10.99 per serving. Each order has a $7.99 shipping fee.

The company frequently includes coupons and discount codes on its website. No contract is required, and the service can be paused or canceled at any time.

HelloFresh FAQ

How long is HelloFresh good for?
HelloFresh states all ingredients stay fresh for the week in which you receive them, but the company suggests using ingredients that don’t store as well, such as fish, at the beginning of the week.
Can I reuse HelloFresh ice packs?
Yes, ice packs may be reused. Alternatively, some areas offer an ice pack return program, or you can recycle the ice packs by emptying the nontoxic gel into the drain with warm water and recycling the plastic casing.
Is there a minimum subscription length?
There is no minimum length for HelloFresh subscriptions. You can cancel your subscription at any time.
Can I skip a week of my subscription?
If you are traveling or would like to hold your subscription for any reason, you can manage delivery dates within your HelloFresh account. Delivery changes must be made before Wednesday at 11:59 p.m. ET for the following week’s delivery.
How does the food stay fresh in transit?
The company uses specially designed boxes with insulating liners, gel packs and cooling material to help food stay as fresh as possible. HelloFresh modifies its packaging based on the season to ensure maximum freshness.

Is HelloFresh worth it?

HelloFresh helps people enjoy a variety of home-cooked meals without having to pore through recipe books and spend time shopping in grocery stores. The range of flavors, options for vegetarian or low-calorie meals and low-pressure commitment make it a great choice. We recommend HelloFresh for its innovation, customization and eco-friendly practices.

HelloFresh Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HelloFresh?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about HelloFresh US?

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

I trust my review will not be cherry picked and positive statements will not be taken out of context to be used in future marketing materials. Intro. I started subscribing to HF in the first week of the covid pandemic. I figured I'll do this for a few weeks until this all blows over and it's safe to go the grocery store again. 9 months later here we are.

The positives.
- The meals are tasty.
- The meals require learning necessary cooking basics that are good skills to have - this experience coupled with the pandemic has led to me to discover a definite passion for cooking.

- Customer service is prompt and generous in addressing any large issues, that is not to say there are not routine small issues that are not worth opening a ticket about that are described below

The negatives.

#1. First and foremost - a complete lack of transparency on true user reviews of certain meals. I would like to be able to visit a recipe and see a full review section from fellow users, complete with a 1-5 star ranking system and most importantly, the ability to read and contribute much more in depth reviews (rather than solely positive feedback that HF cherry picks). For the amount of money that I have spent as a 9 month subscriber I would really like more of a collaborative platform to share feedback on recipes that is accurate and honest and not just good for marketing.

This ties into point #2. I want a relationship and discussion and collaboration to make these recipes better. I need more info than "carb smart" "hall of fame" (What even is the hall of fame? By what metrics are a recipe included in the hall of fame? Why cannot I see a ranking of the recipes in the hall of fame?) You know how many times I have made the figgy balsamic reduction (for chicken or pork)? Do you know how many times I have made the mushroom gravy? I think I have valuable feedback to add but the current review feature seems intent on only capturing small snippets of praise not honest in depth feedback to be shared with other subscribers and used to improve the recipes.

#2. Lack of focus on retention on existing subscribers and limited focus on obtaining new subscribers for the sake of growth. As mentioned above, I am a 9 month subscriber. I am very curious what percentile of HF user I am in with that length of subscription. Have I received any sort of recognition of that fact? Any sort of bonus or reward? Any sort of tiered based rewards system? A free box after ordering 10, 25 or 30 paid boxes? Not a thing. Only more invitations to give out to get more people to subscribe. I fear that the focus on obtaining new users rather than retaining existing new users will be to the long term detriment of a sustainable company.

#4. Quality control. For the premium that this service offers (that I am clearly happy to pay, or should I say have continued to pay begrudgingly), for the simple convenience of having pre measured ingredients delivered, it is unacceptable the number of times I have received loose ingredients that are not appropriately measured out. Carrots and potatoes in particular can be wildly variable in terms of how many one will receive. There have also been multiple instances of small, albeit key, ingredients missing, tbsps of sour cream, dry ingredient packets I don't have on hand, etc.

There were also multiple times early on in the pandemic where the boxes did not arrive on time, or my favorite, arrived one day early, with no shipping notification, so the box sat on the back door of my apartment (the lesser used entrance) for 24 hours with me having no idea it was there. I will say more recently the shipping & tracking notifications have been much more reliable.

#3. Expense - simply not cost effective compared to going to the grocery store. As an otherwise thrifty individual in a relatively inexpensive city, the price point of this service only really holds up against buying take out. That being said obviously the convenience has been valuable enough for me to continue to stick around but regardless it.

Get buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

During the pandemic, I said I'd try a bunch of meal kit services. HelloFresh is the best one so far. Good meal choices, good flavors, free shipping, easy to follow recipes. No other service has beaten HF so far. That said, I can't give it five stars, though, for the following things that need to improve: 1) Sometimes tomatoes come rotten. I've had the same with a shallot or two, but it seems to mostly be a problem with the tomatoes. So, I have to make sure I have a couple of tomatoes on had when this happens. 2) Sometimes ingredients are missing. The base box is for 2 people. I order for 4.

So, for the most part, there should be two of every ingredient for 4 people. That doesn't always happen. For example, I went to make a pasta dish. There was only one bag of pasta instead of two. I double checked the recipe to confirm that there was supposed to be double the amount. Luckily, I had my own pasta on hand to make up for it. Other times, items are just plain missing. In another recipe, the recipe required more use of limes than a usual recipe. Unfortunately, the bag did not come with limes. I had to open another bag to get limes to replace the missing ones, which of course meant I had no limes for the other dish. I have many other examples of items that were missing, but you get the point.

3) The bags of chicken often come unsealed, meaning, chicken juice gets all over the bottom of the box and the other meat packages. The chicken is not spoiled, but it does make a big mess. HomeChef does a way better job at packaging and shipping their meat than HF. 4) Rice dishes never come with enough rice. 1/2 cup for two and 1 cup of rice for 4 people is ridiculous. Not only is it not enough rice for the dish, it definitely does not match the amount of rice in the picture of the meal. If you order a rice dish, make your own rice to supplement the meal. It is a guarantee you won't have enough. It's kind of and odd thing to skimp on. Rice isn't that expensive. It should be 1 cup for 2 people and 2 cups for 4 people. Anything less means that the other part of the dish overwhelms the meal. I wish I had a picture of what their rice portion looks like divided evenly across four bowls. It's a joke.

Not sure if HF reads these, but I would suggest that on your website you have a section that allows customers to report errors with their boxes. Sometimes it's not a huge problem and I don't want any discount, but I would imagine that it would be a great way to get data on how well, or not so well, the service was doing. I realize I can call, but I don't always want to. I just want to write a quick note to tell you what happened. With all of those problems, you might wonder why I have such a high review. Well, for the most part, the service is very good. Mind you, I've compared it to several other meal kit services. HF is the best. The other services don't make as many errors, but the food in HF is the best in many other areas. P.S. The chat on the HF website never works. When I click it, nothing happens.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

We have used Hello Fresh since March of this year and have been relatively happy with the service. The quality of the meat is quite remarkable. The variety of menus has been satisfactory for us. The delivery has been dependable. The boxes are well packed, i.e. we never had a problem even through the high temperatures this summer. My only problem is the quality of the vegetables. The carrots have been so old they cannot be peeled. They are too limp. The potatoes have been black on the inside. The worst problem was with kale that we received this past week. It was in a plastic bag marked "better if used before 02/20". It's November. The kale smelled bad when I opened it, that is why I checked for a 'use by' date.

Of course I contacted the company, and for the third time I connected with a very apologetic employee who offered to message the packing department to be sure it wouldn't happen again. I said, "This has been on going. It's getting to be a serious problem for me. The vegetables had to be tossed almost every other week. I've contacted you twice before and the problem continues." My big concern now is the meat. If the vegetables are past their prime can I continue to trust the meat I am receiving? I don't want a refund or a credit. I want unspoiled produce. I have invited two other families to join Hello Fresh. They are having the same problem we are. I won't be recommending the service to anyone else unless things improve.

Original review: July 2, 2020

We have ordered from HelloFresh (HF) now for roughly 7 months. The quality and taste of the meals is very good, as is the selection. We have had less than a handful of meals that we didn't really like. We used to order from another meal delivery service and would say that both the meals and selection at HF is better. Also, the ingredients for each meal are packed into individual paper bags instead of everything being mixed together in the box. The meats are of very good quality and are one of our favorite things about HF. The instructions are clear and the time estimates are usually pretty accurate. We have learned a number of tips and tricks about cooking that we apply to our own meals and recipes.

Once in a while a meat package might be leaking or a vegetable ingredient may be spoiled, and in these cases a quick visit to the chat support is quickly resolved by a credit to our account. It would be nice to have the option for a replacement to be sent so that we don't have to source a replacement from our local store, but at least they are willing to give a credit. Also, we have noticed that they continue to improve their packaging as time goes by so the frequency of issues has decreased over time (e.g. the meat packages now use a thicker plastic). It should be noted that HF continued to deliver meals throughout worst of the COVID-19 crisis without interruption. I would definitely recommend them to others, and in fact have introduced them to several people through their free trial for friends deal.

Original review: June 3, 2020

Hello Fresh has changed my life. I love this company for so many reasons that it’s difficult to know where to begin. Throughout my twenties, I never cooked because I was always going out. Then, for six years, I was into body building and had an extremely strict diet. Gradually, I became very ill, plagued with autoimmune disorders. Between the medication and autoimmune disorders, I packed on weight. Not knowing how to cook only made my situation worse. Unfortunately, I never learned how to cook, feared cooking, and even loathed it. Yet, I always wished I knew how and wished I had a variety of recipes from which to choose.

Last year, a friend of mine who has Celiac Disease and who also has severe diet issues, saw my struggle and recommended Hello Fresh. I placed an order and haven’t looked back since. Hello Fresh has taught me basic cooking skills and provided me with whole, nutritious foods and amazing recipes. I’m so thankful for Hello Fresh. Additionally, throughout my year with Hello Fresh, I have come to discover what an incredible company it is with outstanding customer service and impressive integrity. If ever I had any issues, which were extremely minor if I had any at all, Hello Fresh promptly helped and corrected the issue. I would love Hello Fresh no matter what, but I was even more impressed when I received a hand signed letter from the CEO with a GORGEOUS box of Colavita products as a thank you for some of my Face Book comments. I really just love Hello Fresh wholeheartedly and am so overjoyed to have this company in my life!

Original review: May 8, 2021

I am sorry to report that in my case, my experience with Hello Fresh was not good. In short, I would never recommend it to anyone. it is too expensive, always has rotten produces and are not prepare to address their unsatisfied customers. Here is more details: I kept seeing all the commercial and a lot of friends and co-workers recommended this new company that seemed to have saved a lot of people, especially since the covid outbreak. I started to look into Hello Fresh even before people recommended it to us but could not see myself spend this much money on easy meals I could make myself but without the big price tag on them.

Finally, my husband convinced me to give it a chance by using a "free" box so to speak from one of his coworkers. A free box usually includes only 3 meals and each meal feeds two people only once. I state this not because I am ungrateful, but mostly because we usually cook dinner and make sure we have leftovers for the next day lunch since we are healthcare workers and have been extremely busy, it is easier for us that way. That being said, we did have to upgrade the "free" boxes to make sure it fitted our needs. So we did pay an extra fee on the free box. Unfortunately for us, when the box arrived, half the produces were dying or rotten, AND one of the protein was missing. So we had to figure out how to "fix" the box, which meant we had to go to the grocery stores to replace rotten items and purchase the missing protein. We did not save time and had to go out of our ways to fix a box that was supposed to be helpful to our daily routine.

We did report to Hello Fresh, who answered by giving us credit towards their website, and nothing else. So we unfortunately had to purchase another box, but were already unhappy and had lost precious time and money. When the second box came in, once again, rotten produces arrived and the same ordeal went on. We tried contacting someone to address our issues, but no one ever answered, they are very hard to contact and only want to give credit back towards their website, a vicious circle that you can not end if you keep being unsatisfied. We decided to cancel our account and unfortunately lost a good amount of money by trying to give them a second and third chance. Very unsatisfied.

HelloFresh response

We are sorry about your disappointing experience. We appreciate your feedback so we can help make our service better and will pass along your comments to our kitchen team. Many customers tell us they save on grocery money using HelloFresh. We send only what you need to make delicious, perfectly portioned meals and there’s no food waste.Please email us at Hello@HelloFresh.com or call #646-846-3663 and a Customer Care team member will be happy to help make this up to you.

Original review: May 8, 2021

Used Hello Fresh a few times and they were ok, nothing that wowed me. They have a lot of spicy food for my taste. Ordered a few upgrades for my meals like the lobster and steak dinner, and it was maybe a newborn lobster, and the steak was not of great quality. Another issue I had was that I ordered my box to arrive on Mondays and 1 out of 4 arrived on Monday. Customer Service basically solve everything with refunds and not an actual solution, and I got tired of it. Canceled my account and contacted Customer Service again to ask them to return the money that I still have in my account. It's been 3 times, 3 TIMES! And nothing. The money still on their side. Their Customer Service Department is awful!!! Never again, not recommended.

HelloFresh response

We are truly sorry about your disappointing experience. Our goal is to deliver the freshest, highest quality food possible, on time to your door. We have passed along your comments to our kitchen and logistics teams. Please email us at Hello@HelloFresh.com or call #646-846-3663 and a team member will do their best to make this up to you and get you back cooking with us soon. Thanks

Original review: April 27, 2021

I only ordered twice with the company and none of them was a good experience. The first time, they forget to put a key ingredient in one of the meals and offer a credit that can only be used with "non-discounted" boxes. (The company offers a discount for the first 4 boxes, which you can imagine you could not use the credit until the 5th box.)

The second time, my meal was delayed and I asked for a refund. The box was shipped on Saturday and should be delivered on Sunday. The box was not delivered until Tuesday. The customer service started by offering a $10 credit on future "non-discounted" boxes and argue that they found there were issues with Saturday's box and have shipped a new box on Monday. I asked for proof of the new box was shipped. The customer service can not offer the proof and said there was no new box. The customer service then tried to offer more credit on future "non-discounted" boxes. I have to explicitly ask for a refund for my original payment. In sum, I don't have a problem with the quality of the food, only the company culture that tries to fool customers that keeps me away from this company. (I believe the customer service is trained by the company to use this kind of strategy.)

HelloFresh response

We are truly sorry about your disappointing experience with our customer service. Our goal is to be as transparent as possible with our pricing, refunds and credits. We understand your frustration and appreciate your feedback so we can make our service better. We will pass along your comments to our customer care team. Please email us at Hello@HelloFresh.com or call #646-846-3663, we are here to help. Thanks

Original review: April 25, 2021

Our first Hello Fresh box was wonderful however every other subsequent box has been missing one or more ingredients. We call, they give a discount, end of story. With our last box I expressed frustration as I do not want a discount, I want to be able to prepare and enjoy the meals as intended without continuously having to improvise. I subscribe for the convenience in meal prep and simply want better quality control on the packing end. The icing on the cake was the box I received today. The ice pack with the meat was nearly completely melted, the meat was all lukewarm and as if that wasn't enough, one of the chicken packs was punctured, allowing chicken juices to spread throughout my box. The My 3 brown bags had chicken juice on them, unsure of what may have penetrated through.

The entire box was unusable. Hello Fresh representative offered me a refund, great. He also suggested I prepare the other 2 meals which did not have punctured meat packs, despite me telling him the meat was ALL lukewarm, and chicken juice was all over ALL of the brown bags. I have cancelled my subscription but am terribly disappointed in the repeated quality control issues and felt I needed to share in care others were experiencing the same. The actual meals, when we were able to prepare them as intended were wonderful. And I would gladly pay for this service if they could actually deliver the items as advertised.

HelloFresh response

We are truly sorry about your disappointing experience with your last box. Our goal is to deliver the freshest food possible on time to your door. We have passed along your comments to our kitchen and quality control teams. Please email us at Hello@HelloFresh.com or call #646-846-3663 and a team member will do their best to make this up to you and get you back cooking with us soon. Thanks

Original review: April 11, 2021

I see HelloFresh advertising, saw specials I decided to ordered, my sister and me. Completed information including giving credit card information. After extensive review of the meals with my sister, the meals were not going to work, lots of sausage, pork, beef, spicy food, though had vegetarian they were spicy. Many dishes very ethnic that I could not pronounce the name of food. Site not user friendly to contact customer service. Explained the above, they canceled ordered. Refused refund. I contacted my credit card who stated charge went through and I did not have product.

HelloFresh response

Ellen-We are sorry about your disappointing experience. We appreciate your feedback so we can help make our service better and will pass along your comments to our team. Please email us at Hello@HelloFresh.com or call #646-846-3663 and a Customer Care team member will be happy to help make this up to you.

HelloFresh Company Information