Accredited Partner

HelloFresh
Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.87/5
Based on 5,446 ratings submitted in the last year

HelloFresh states that its goal is to ensure every household has the opportunity to enjoy delicious and healthy food. The company has a variety of meal plans to choose from, and each plan includes ingredients that are locally sourced and delivered at a time convenient for their subscribers. Customers can manage their menus and deliveries through HelloFresh’s mobile app, and its customer care team is available to answer any questions.

BOTTOM LINE

HelloFresh focuses on delivering fresh, healthy food straight to your door. With a variety of recipes and plan types, there’s something to fit most anyone’s needs and tastes.

PROS

• Flexible pricing
  • Can pause delivery
  • Four plan types
  • Easy cancellation

CONS

• Frequent use can get expensive
  • Limited allergy care

Top HelloFresh Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about HelloFresh US?

My husband and I love ordering from HelloFresh! The food is definitely fresh. The recipes are easy to understand and taste great! There's a lot of great variety with the meals as well ... I also like the flexibility of only needing to order two meals a week but if you want more you can.

We have the vegetarian plan because my wife is a lifelong vegetarian, and all the meals have been wonderful. Oftentimes we see other companies doing vegetarian meals that don't have much substance or are not very filling but I can say that has never been an issue with Hello Fresh.

HelloFresh Learn More

How does HelloFresh work?

HelloFresh is a meal-kit company based in Berlin, Germany. The company is one of the largest meal-kit providers in the U.S., and it works using a few simple steps:

1. Choose a plan based on your lifestyle and needs: The company offers four plans — Meat & Veggies (classic), Veggie (vegetarian), Family Friendly and Low Calorie.
  2. Pick your plan size and frequency: Next, decide if you want food for two or four people and whether you want two, three, four or five meals delivered each week.
  3. Await delivery: Your meals are delivered straight to your door at preset times based on your selections.
  4. Start cooking: Your meal kit includes a detailed and easy-to-follow recipe card and all the ingredients you need to make a delicious meal.

HelloFresh menu

Meat & Veggies plan meals include dishes like balsamic fig chicken with roasted potatoes and mixed greens, while vegetarian meals feature dishes like crunchy chickpea shawarma pitas. Low-calorie meal options, like roasted veggie farro bowls, are dietician-approved and around 650 calories each. The Meat & Veggies and Family Friendly meal plans let you curate a personal menu from a selection of 20 recipes so you can mix and match old classics with new recipes.

Each delivery includes fresh, premeasured ingredients and simple step-by-step recipes with nutritional information. The company has a directory of more than 2,500 recipes with total cook times and calories on its website.

HelloFresh recipes

HelloFresh accommodates every appetite, household size and schedule. Every recipe is created by chefs and tested 200 times. Currently, HelloFresh does not offer the option to tailor plans for specific allergies. However, the Meat & Veggies plan can be customized to be beef-free, pork-free or seafood-free.

HelloFresh employs a team of dieticians that review every ingredient for the eight major allergens (wheat, dairy, soy, eggs, nuts, peanuts, fish and shellfish) and discloses the information next to the meal choice on the HelloFresh website. The company states it’s up to the consumer to read and understand allergens in the ingredients.

HelloFresh price

HelloFresh meals start at $7.49 per serving, but the total price is determined by your plan preferences and size. The company offers four core plan types:

• Meat & Veggies (classic)
  • Veggie (vegetarian)
  • Family Friendly
  • Low Calorie

A Meat & Veggies plan for four people who want two meals per week is $8.99 per serving, and a Low Calorie plan for two people who want two meals per week is $10.99 per serving. Each order has a $7.99 shipping fee.

The company frequently includes coupons and discount codes on its website. No contract is required, and the service can be paused or canceled at any time.

HelloFresh FAQ

How long is HelloFresh good for?
HelloFresh states all ingredients stay fresh for the week in which you receive them, but the company suggests using ingredients that don’t store as well, such as fish, at the beginning of the week.
Can I reuse HelloFresh ice packs?
Yes, ice packs may be reused. Alternatively, some areas offer an ice pack return program, or you can recycle the ice packs by emptying the nontoxic gel into the drain with warm water and recycling the plastic casing.
Is there a minimum subscription length?
There is no minimum length for HelloFresh subscriptions. You can cancel your subscription at any time.
Can I skip a week of my subscription?
If you are traveling or would like to hold your subscription for any reason, you can manage delivery dates within your HelloFresh account. Delivery changes must be made before Wednesday at 11:59 p.m. ET for the following week’s delivery.
How does the food stay fresh in transit?
The company uses specially designed boxes with insulating liners, gel packs and cooling material to help food stay as fresh as possible. HelloFresh modifies its packaging based on the season to ensure maximum freshness.

Is HelloFresh worth it?

HelloFresh helps people enjoy a variety of home-cooked meals without having to pore through recipe books and spend time shopping in grocery stores. The range of flavors, options for vegetarian or low-calorie meals and low-pressure commitment make it a great choice. We recommend HelloFresh for its innovation, customization and eco-friendly practices.

HelloFresh Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HelloFresh?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about HelloFresh US?

Original review: July 2, 2020

We have ordered from HelloFresh (HF) now for roughly 7 months. The quality and taste of the meals is very good, as is the selection. We have had less than a handful of meals that we didn't really like. We used to order from another meal delivery service and would say that both the meals and selection at HF is better. Also, the ingredients for each meal are packed into individual paper bags instead of everything being mixed together in the box. The meats are of very good quality and are one of our favorite things about HF. The instructions are clear and the time estimates are usually pretty accurate. We have learned a number of tips and tricks about cooking that we apply to our own meals and recipes.

Once in a while a meat package might be leaking or a vegetable ingredient may be spoiled, and in these cases a quick visit to the chat support is quickly resolved by a credit to our account. It would be nice to have the option for a replacement to be sent so that we don't have to source a replacement from our local store, but at least they are willing to give a credit. Also, we have noticed that they continue to improve their packaging as time goes by so the frequency of issues has decreased over time (e.g. the meat packages now use a thicker plastic). It should be noted that HF continued to deliver meals throughout worst of the COVID-19 crisis without interruption. I would definitely recommend them to others, and in fact have introduced them to several people through their free trial for friends deal.

Get buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 1, 2020

We have been receiving Hellofresh meals weekly for about 9 weeks, 5 meals a week and we love the experience.. At first the Veggies and meat were great that we received and there was plenty of them but for the last 5 weeks or sometimes we have barely enough to eat... Sometimes 3 little Yukon gold potatoes between the three of us and same with the veggies.. Once I had just half of a broken carrot and that was the only vegetable we had for that meal apart from a small amount of potatoes... Once we had a tiny sweet potato that was meant to be mashed for two but there was barely enough for a child.. I did complain and got some money back but we still did not have much to eat that day..

Overall the meat is good... I wish you would stop giving us Panko Breadcrumbs every time as I find them gritty and don't use them now and again Italian breadcrumbs or plain ones would be nice.. I love the concept and I like making them but we need more veggies and more variety.. Most of the time it's green beans.. Occasionally brussel sprouts.. We had 4 the other day between the two of us... I know people in England that get HelloFresh and they great desserts.. Really nice ones.. We never have them to choose...so desserts please... I am hoping after the Covid-19 virus has got better the veggies and portions may get better.. Otherwise I may just not order from you anymore.. But I am going to carry on for a few more months and see if it improves.. Having said all of that I must say I enjoy many things of it and it's easy to do... and it has helped us a lot during the virus in not having to go to the supermarket so much.. Thanks.

Original review: May 1, 2020

My first couple shipments with Hello Fresh were a little bumpy because I live in a large apartment complex. It seems that the local delivery drivers and my apartment management just had to get used to dealing with the regular shipments. I lost two boxes of food this way and was frustrated. I'm really glad I stuck with it. Hello Fresh has proven itself truly consistent and willing to provide credit where those first shipments were lost or spoiled. I have not had that problem since the first month.

I have been relying on them since December 2019. The quality of food has been impressive. I love that it is perfectly proportioned so that there is very little food waste. I thoroughly appreciate that there is so much emphasis on green and recyclable packaging. It is affordable and has already reduce my time and money at the grocery store. I already have a top 20 meals that I look for every week. The recipes are very tasty. The instructions are easy to follow with consistent results. The proportion sizes per person are what they should be, and I like that I'm no longer dealing with leftovers that do not get eaten.

I am probably most thankful that Hello Fresh has helped my family get out of a food rut where we were making the same meals over and over again. I love the variety and learning fun, new cooking tricks. I love that there are so many little tweaks and minor changes that can totally change a recipe. I have given free boxes to friends and families and loving sharing my positive experience with this company with anyone who wants to listen. Finally, Hello Fresh has been a lifesaver in the midst of this global pandemic. I've only had one shipment delayed by a single day because of delivery services. Otherwise, relying on these meals to come has taken the pressure off at the grocery store with shortages and new processes that make shopping so difficult. I love Hello Fresh. Thank you for taking your role seriously and staying consistent in trying times.

Original review: April 2, 2020

So far my experience with this program has been mostly positive. Though I do have several criticisms to make generally with that said I will also offer solutions so I'm not coming off like a **. There is no place in the initial subscribing nor menus nor app for me to report my specific allergies to remove those items for the menus or to make you aware. Could you make a place for common allergies to be removed from menus. It probably a liability thing anyways.

The meal selection is excellent and provides a cool template for you to work with for a starting, I would like to see few more meals with perhaps a heavier calorie count. The menu global representative of food is also good but I noticed no Indian or African meals so far and that's too bad cause they delicious. But maybe I skipped them? Also there is a lot of rice based meals race or mash. Can we get more salad sides that come with the meals? The delivery service is a little misleading but it's all good. These are touch and go times. Maybe it's just me. It would be cool to get late notifications for shipping for 2 reasons.

1. I was hoping I could count on the set schedule but these are demanding times for all of us here in the US.

2. I need notifications for shipping or late days so I can get a heads up if you're gonna be late. I didn't appreciate being misled because it's really not a huge deal. But I want to need to know when the food is ships because your phone agents said then shipping is safe for 48 hours ideally so if UPS drops the ball I need to know when honestly sent a package so I know if it is safe for consumption.

But the meals were delicious. I like to see more saucier and heavier caloric meals more food from abroad cause I'm broke and can't travel. But yea I think you can fix all that.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

I cannot say enough about my experience with Hello Fresh. I am a working corporate executive mother of 2 boys under the age of 5. My husband works a demanding service sales job in the auto industry. I work 52 miles from home. Getting home and cooking healthy meals is a struggle. We had become reliant and bored over the same meals week after week. Getting the grocery store even on a weekend is tough and not really having a plan so to speak ended up in us throwing away a lot of unused fresh expensive produce. My sister in law suggested Hello Fresh and pushed us a Free Box to start. We have been hooked ever since!!

I have tried and LOVED dishes I would have never thought to try in the past. I have loved getting in the kitchen and being successful at making a meal without setting the house fire alarms off just by following 6 easy steps! I LOVE that the meals are portion controlled, my husband and I have lost a significant amount of weight in the past 6 months without changing anything else in our diets. I LOVE that the meal come with just what you need. No more throwing away unused food. I love that I don't have to go to the grocery store! I stop once a week for milk, eggs and maybe a thing or two but that chore has been eliminated!! I would recommend and have this service to everyone and anyone! My wish is for Hello Fresh to sell their spices so I can recreate the meals for loved ones!!! Thank you for bringing fun and a little extra spice to our kitchen, lives and bellies Hello Fresh!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

My Husband and I began using Hello Fresh a few years ago on our daughter's recommendation. I was still working at the time, & my husband took on the task of ordering & preparing the meals. Those meals were satisfying enough that we continued for nearly a year. Now that both of us are retired & living in a Covid-19 world, we thought it would be a great way to minimize trips to the store if we started ordering Hello Fresh again. The first week of meals was about the way we remembered them, but I do recall commenting to my husband that the produce looked a little wilted. Orders over the past two weeks have included produce that I would normally discard if I found it in my own refrigerator. The issue tonight (which motivated me to write this review) is that I'm missing all the vegetables from one of the kits, & the veggies that did come in the other kit are already spoiling. I'm afraid I'll have to find a different method of minimizing trips to the grocery store.

HelloFresh response

Hi Jean, thanks for writing in and sharing your experience with us. Please call us at (646) 846-FOOD (3663) so that we can take a closer look into this and best assist you.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

My grandson and his mother were initially ordering from GreenChef, the sister company of HelloFresh, but my grandson became violently ill and vomited his entire meal one night. That's when his mother switched to HelloFresh thinking the ingredients were organic and natural. (I'm not not sure she realized these companies were related.)

My grandson appeared to like the HelloFresh meals better but he recently broke out in an odd red rash on the back of his hands. It goes away a few hours after he's eaten. It might be an allergy to a particular additive or even possibly to heavy pesticides used in GMO foods if this was possibly the case. We're usually very careful to avoid these types of foods. His mother was certain this wasn't possible because the meals were supposed to be all natural and organic. I decided to check the quality of the HelloFresh meals and to my disappointment I was unable to find any information on the website without an account.

I reached out via chat expecting my simple questions would be quickly answered. I was connected to DeVonte who seemed very friendly. But he was immediately unwilling to respond to even the most basic questions. I asked are the foods organic? He responded, "some". I asked which ones. He ignored the question. I asked if there were any GMO's or MSG. He wouldn't say, but referred me to their "sister site, GreenChef". I explained I wanted info about HelloFresh and asked again about GMO's and msg. He evaded the question saying, "we focus on what looks and tastes best". (So apparently quality or health is not a consideration of this company.)

I asked if there was information available anywhere because someone I know has the understanding that HelloFresh's foods are organic and natural. He only responded "they must have assumed this". I pushed for a more specific answer regarding GMO's and msg and he finally responded with "idk and idk" --seriously, that was his answer!

Since he previously said some of the ingredients were organic I asked if the meat and poultry were organic. He said he "didn't have access to this information" and again referred me to their "sister company". At that time I didn't realize the sister company was the same company whose food had previously made my grandson son so violently ill.

I've never encountered the refusal of a food company to respond to simple quality questions like this before. It became clear HelloFresh's customer service reps are trained only in evasive maneuvers with information the company prefers to keep secret. I asked for a contact number of someone who could answer my questions. He refused but said, "(as a) health conscious customer helloFresh obivously isn’t for you".

I finally just asked for a transcript figuring no one would believe this chat session - it was so purposely evasive! This is when he became fully unresponsive. After 25 minutes of no response while still being connected I was finally able to copy the chat and I ended it thinking perhaps a transcript would automatically be emailed like many other companies provide. Naturally this was not the case. At this point, why would I expect otherwise?

This is a purposely deceptive company about very simple, straightforward questions. This does not instill confidence in the quality or safety of their food. Reputable food companies simply do not act like this! I've decided to call the health department and register a formal complaint about the questionable safety of their food and their refusal to be transparent about some very basic consumer questions. In all, our experience with this company, and their sister company GreenChef, has not been good. If a company is not willing to answer simple questions and disclose the level of the quality of their food, I say beware.

HelloFresh response

Hi Leslie, thanks for writing in and letting us know about this. For more information on HelloFresh's nutrition facts, please email nutrition@hellofresh.com. For all other questions please call us at (646) 846-FOOD (3663) or email us at hello@hellofresh.com.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

I tried HelloFresh for 4 weeks. 3 weeks out of the 4 they had to refund me. After the first 2 failed deliveries they switched me from LaserShip to FedEx and the delivery arrived as expected but then the 4th week they went right back to LaserShip and it was lost again. The food was good when it arrived but overall not worth the hassle of trying to contend with all the failed deliveries. The crux of a food delivery service is making sure the food is actually delivered.

HelloFresh response

Hi Rachel, thanks for writing in and letting us know about the issues you experienced with the courier. We'll be sure to pass this along to our logistics team so that they're aware of this and can work to improve delivery.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2020

This recipe was tasty despite not having sweet Thai chili sauce included in the bag. Completely turned the bag inside out to make sure I didn't miss it. I do enjoy the variety of menus Hello Fresh offers. Keep up the good work.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Nov. 12, 2020

I and 2 friends, each decided to try Hello Fresh. None of us received edible food. One person's delivery was not made because there were weather issues (allegedly a hurricane somewhere even though 2 rain in 2 days), I received no delivery for an unspecified reason and spent over an hour, 14 chats over 3 days, the 3rd person received rotten food 4 days late. Run like the devil!! Horrible customer support!!!

HelloFresh response

Hi Dorothy, thanks for writing in and letting us know about this. Please email hello@hellofresh.com so that we can take a closer look into this and best assist you.

HelloFresh Company Information