4.13/5
  • 1 star
Based on 754 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

As a global leader in providing fresh food to consumers' doorsteps, HelloFresh wants to ensure every household has the opportunity to enjoy delicoius and healthy food. They have a variety of meal plans to choose from and each plan includes ingredients that are sourced locally and delivered at a time convenient for their subscribers. Menus and deliveries can be managed through their mobile app and their customer care team is available to answer any questions. Call or visit their site today!

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 22, 2018

903 HelloFresh Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I went on the HelloFresh website to see what was available. I had deactivated my account in the past. I did not reactivate my account or order anything during this visit. Now I have a charge on my account for meals they are sending out. I went on the website and it showed reactivated and set up for deliveries. I deactivated again. When I contacted customer service supervisor I was advised I had reactivated, ordered (meals not interested in) and nothing could be done about the order, even though it had not been shipped out as of our conversation. Interesting, after I talked to a customer service supervisor I get an invoice by email dated 2 days ago.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

When I went to their website all I wanted to do was see what they had to offer. In order to view their website I had to register an account and provide a credit card number; once I got in I wasn't really impressed so I logged out. After thinking on a bit I realized it was unusual to provide a credit card just to access their website, so I went back and logged in and discovered they ordered 3 meals for me and charged my credit card without my consent. This is the most unethical company I have ever experienced and even if they provide a super duper service I wouldn't do business with them again. They did not provide a receipt only a shipping label which is attached. Closed account.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

This is my second week with HelloFresh. Last week I received rotten shallots and this week I received the zucchinis. Their vegetable quality is absolutely horrible. I ordered the vegetarian plan because I am a vegetarian and the main part of the meal is spoiled? This subscription is not worth a dime.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I got a Groupon for HelloFresh as a Christmas gift for two weeks. After registering on the site, I was inundated with all kinds of emails from HelloFresh about selecting the next week, and skipping a week and rating the food. All designed to throw you off and confuse you. They also sent emails offering your friends two free weeks of food. At the end of two weeks I thought I would have the option to continue or not with the meals, but I ended up getting two boxes (four meals) delivered to my house at once and two $59 dollar charges to my bank account. Customer service gave me the crap about it's an automatic subscription but they messed up and sent me two boxes at once, so they can credit me back for one. Nice scam, so now they got me for $59 and I thought this was gonna be just a gift from my daughter. So I cancelled, but only after they got me for $59, SMH. Do not give up your credit card info unless you know about and agree to their scam.

HelloFresh response

Hi Bryan-- We're so sorry about the mixup, and that you felt mislead by our subscription policies. We'd be happy to reach out and discuss further. Keep an eye out for a private message.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I am enjoying Hello Fresh. The recipes are easy to follow. I’ve had approximately 6 boxes which is 18 meals and expectations have been met most of the time. One recipe I simply didn’t like for potatoes and another was just so-so. All the others have been exceptional. I think that is better returns than most dining options. I look forward to my shipments very much. It is so easy and portions are perfect. Good value for the money. I’m also part of wine club... It is very nice to not have to go shopping.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HelloFresh US?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I AM VERY UPSET WITH HELLOFRESH. I signed up for HelloFresh because I got a gift card for $30 for my first box (received from my Fabletics order) and the website was actually very confusing. I selected my package and it said I had to subscribe to make an order. So I thought I would do so, order my first box, and then unsubscribe (as I cannot AFFORD this, and was only doing it because of the gift card.) So it told me I needed to put in my credit card info, which I thought would be for FUTURE ORDERS, NOT as my selected payment type for THIS transaction, and I was charged $29 and some cents to my debit card. Frustrated that I never got the chance to type in my gift card number, I called customer service and they said they can’t refund me. They said I got a discount for signing up for HelloFresh. I got super angry and tried to explain to him that nowhere on the website did it ask me for my gift card number, it just took it from my debit card.

He told me that it was because you can’t use 2 discounts at the same time, in which I replied, I never clicked on any discount, I simply put in my debit card for future orders. I was not aware that it was taking my debit card for the payment. He then said sorry, in a way that clearly did not seem like he was sorry. I said "so you’re telling me that you really can’t refund my debit card and take the payment from the gift card you sent me?" in which he replied "no." I'm VERY pissed off and I DO NOT recommend HelloFresh to anyone! The website is not user friendly, and I am now out $30, that I could not afford in the first place. So thanks a lot, HelloFresh. You suck. I will never subscribe to you again.

HelloFresh response

Hi Shelby-- Sorry for the mixup here! Just to clarify, the normal price for the box you chose is $59, and you received a $30 discount from clicking on one of our Google ads (it was automatically applied to your browser). So you received exactly the same discount you would have received if you had used your voucher code (discounts cannot be combined).

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

All the meals we have ever had from Hello Fresh have been excellent. On the rare occasion, if we experienced any problems, they have quickly and satisfactorily been resolved them to our highest expectations. The food has been delicious overall and often beyond our wildest dreams. One dish was so good, it was almost a spiritual experience. The selections have nearly always been to our liking. On the weeks we couldn't find three meals that my husband and I were delighted with, we would simply skip. Those weeks were very few and far between. To say we are hooked on Hello Fresh would be a major understatement. As long as Hello Fresh keeps coming up with such delicious meals with fresh produce and top-of-the line ingredients, we will continue to be their loyal customers.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I purchased a Groupon to try HelloFresh out. The voucher was for 3 meals for 4 people. When I typed it in the redemption box it gave me 2 meals for 2 people. It selected what I was getting and when, would not let me change it. I did a live chat with customer service. I was told he was chatting with 6 other people to hold on. He was able to change what I was getting but not when. I did have him go ahead and cancel my account, I don't want a service that is not user friendly.

HelloFresh response

Hi Mary-- We're so sorry that you had this disappointing experience with our system. It looks like you accidentally selected 2 meals for 4 people, but our customer care team was able to change that to 3 meals for 4. I'll also reach out to make it right.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

My wife and I love your vegetarian meals. We look forward to the box each week. The meals take about 30-45 minutes to prepare and this is something we can do together (even though neither of us were very good cooks before starting Hello Fresh).

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

Love the fresh food. All the wonderful meals to cook are great too. Everything comes in its own bag to fix for the meal you have picked out. Easy to read recipe's, very helpful hints too. Great pictures of what your cooking, And How they should turn out. We have enjoyed cooking with Hello Fresh. And hope to for a long time to come.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

My husband and I have been very happy with HelloFresh! We have been using them for about a year and a half. We both work high-stress full time jobs and this takes a lot of stress off of meal planning for the week. The meals have been very good, some are fantastic! I love the flavor combinations - some of which are very unique. It is rare that we receive something that is not fresh or that goes bad quickly. The meals are straightforward and typically easy to make. The amount of food is usually enough for us and my husband is a big eater. I have called customer service on several occasions and always found then very friendly and helpful. If something does go wrong with your order, they are very faith reimbursement. I have been very happy all around with this service and would highly recommend it!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

My husband and I LOVE the Hello Fresh meals. When I know my weekly schedule is going to be hectic, I order Hello Fresh for that week. My husband follows the directions exactly and proudly plates the meals just as shown. I’m so proud of him because he doesn’t cook unless he has a Hello Fresh menu. Thank you for teaching my husband to cook!!!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

My husband and I just love HelloFresh! Each week we receive 3 meals that we enjoy cooking together. He likes to prep and I cook. It turns out to be a fun activity for us. The meals are fairly quick easy to prepare and we are delighted to have such delicious and unique recipes on our dinner plates! It’s easy to pause a week or more if you need to.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

Frustrating in the fact that I had a flawed delivery. I had option of having my payment refunded to my credit card or just kept as a credit. Unfortunately I chose credit and have found it's almost impossible to use as I use the service only periodically.

HelloFresh response

Hi Lundy-- We're so sorry about the issues with your recent box. That doesn't meet our high quality standards. We'll reach out privately to make it right.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I really enjoy cooking your recipes. I found that the recipe cards are easy to follow and love that every ingredient is packed so well and easy to use. I also like that it is not wasteful. The food is absolutely delicious and we didn't have any that we didn't enjoy. Every night is gourmet night and I look forward to our meals. My husband and I also love cooking it together and spending quality time together. All my friends I sent the free meals to love them also. I only worry about the ice pack that is in the box and if it's environmentally friendly. That is my only concern. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I have had no problems with Hello Fresh. I have found their products to be of excellent grade. They always send out a feedback email to see what can be better or changed or any info you have on their meals. I have replied to these and if they consider these suggestions I'm not sure as I'm sure that they have a lot to go through. Would recommend this to people who need quick, healthy meals in their busy schedule, and those that want to try their hand at a more fancier meal.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I am a single person and find cooking for one can be boring. Having everything on hand and easy to put together is helpful. The variety in the menus make cooking for myself more interesting and fun. There is enough food in the box to last me two weeks instead of one.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

We have been taking Hello Fresh for about a year and a half. We love the meals and the prep time. It's nice that it comes directly to your door and you don't have to grocery shop as everything is included. You also have control over all your meals as you can choose them and if you need to you can skip a week. We are very happy customers.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

The orders have been arriving reliably. There have been issues with UPS delivering rather late in the evening on the delivery date - too late to cook and serve a meal on that date so we wait until the next day. The food is generally fresh. There have been issues with excessive fat or gristle on the steaks. This can be frustrating when you pay a premium for the steak and it's virtually inedible. They tend to be stingy with some of the vegetables - which is surprising given that vegetables do not tend to be expensive or high in calories. The spices and extracts are really good.

Most of the meals are surprisingly tasty but when they fail - they REALLY fail. They had a bangers and mash meal that was a real fail - those were not bangers, and their shrimp lo mein was abysmal. One time they completely left out the meat portion of one dinner, and another time they sent two of the same entrée leaving us with the same meal for two days for the week. When you proactively contact them to complain about a meal - they will adjust the fee - but the adjustment is not always fair.

They REALLY need to offer more fish options - I always order the fish when they offer it. They have a love affair with chicken - which I absolutely hate. Ordering their appetizer option was a complete failure. I am often stuck having the same meat twice in the week in order to get three options. I have used other services and discontinued when their menus became repetitive. Hello Fresh has been better in their menu selection. I love when they incorporate roasted fruit or fruit sauces in their dishes.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

We enjoy the product but occasionally the vegetable products are not the freshest and on one occasion a package labeled "boneless pork chop" contained some ground meat. I have been impressed that when I complain, you respond quickly with a credit. However, I wish these problems wouldn't arise.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I appreciate the flavor quality of Hello Fresh dishes. My only issues have involved packaging. There have been issues with the quality of some of the ingredients included in my boxes. This has not been a big enough issue to stop using the service. I have tried other providers (i.e.: Blue Apron and Marley Spoon) and continue to find Hello Fresh to have more consistency in the area of quality of final product.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I've been using Hello Fresh and other food services for over a year and I always return to Hello Fresh for a couple of reasons. They deliver fresh ingredients each time and on time. I especially like the paper bag packing for my deliveries as I find that it helps keep items fresh, sometimes, for over a week. I'm impressed with the menu choices, I often find new and exciting options to try. A lot of the meals don't require excessive preparation which is also a plus. I with that they'd include all ingredients like butter and sugar (except salt and pepper of course) since I have become somewhat lazy and dependent on these deliveries. (I only have salt and pepper in my pantry nowadays!)

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I love all vegetables including green beans but just about every meal I want to order has green beans. Getting very tired of green beans. I would like to see more of a variety with the vegetables. The meat is good and the sauces are excellent. I like the way the ingredients are put in individual bags.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I enjoy receiving the boxes and trying new recipes and ingredients. As a single person, cooking three meals that satisfy an entire week of meals can sometimes feel daunting so I order only every 2 months. Fun overall, just time consuming to do on my own entirely.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

While I have thoroughly enjoyed the HelloFresh food delivery service, I was equally disappointed when my box was delayed by 5 days rendering the food unusable. I have been using HelloFresh for over 6 months with great luck and happy stomachs. So this was the first time a box had been delayed. I understand that will happen but their Customer Service department only credited back the money I spent. Even an extra $10 credit would have been nice since after having to track my shipment, call UPS, contact HelloFresh, and ultimately end up at the store to pick up groceries several times for the week when the box continued to not end up at my house. I would have expected maybe a little more than a refund for my troubles. I told the Customer Service agent that and he said he couldn't do anything more for me.

HelloFresh response

Hi Alexandra-- We're so sorry that you had some trouble with one of our delivery partners. We know how frustrating that can be. We'll reach out privately to make it right.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

The most positive aspects of the service have been a reduction of time spent planning meals and trying new recipes to cook. The food is packaged sloppily—meat juice all over, missing items, and rotten produce. I have encountered these issues 4+ times which is quite disappointing. Customer service has refunded me money, but my time is wasted by having to go to the grocery to replace the items, defeating the purpose of the service.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

They have some really simple tasty recipes to choose from but I didn’t find all the food to be fresh. Out of 5 boxes, only the first had entirely fresh produce. The others had ingredients I couldn’t use resulting in missing sides or garnishes.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

Every single meal was absolutely delicious. The packaging was great. The recipes were very easy to follow. This was the one I decided on when looking at what the other competitors offered for food. Too many had so much kale and weird, trendy food. Hello Fresh gave a new twist on the food that we all love!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

Never had a problem worth mentioning with this service. The menus are varied and the quality of the ingredients is 5 stars, as well as delicious. My family gets to try new things that they might not otherwise be able to if the weekly menu planning was left to me! The delivery right to my doorstep is SO convenient and is always prompt. The value is exceptional, not just for the price (which I would pay for my weekly groceries) but the absolute convenience of having everything I need to provide my family with a healthy home cooked meal at the end of a busy work day. LOVE Hello Fresh!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I love it. We have only had one meal we did not like in a year and that was because we do not like eggplant. We had never had it but tried it and decided not again. Love the time it takes to prepare and NOW my husband cooks after 47 years. Thank You Hello Fresh. The customer service is great too!

HelloFresh Company Information

HelloFresh US
Public
www.hellofresh.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use