It's that easy Request Information
3.95/5
Based on 3,030 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

As a global leader in providing fresh food to consumers' doorsteps, HelloFresh wants to ensure every household has the opportunity to enjoy delicoius and healthy food. They have a variety of meal plans to choose from and each plan includes ingredients that are sourced locally and delivered at a time convenient for their subscribers. Menus and deliveries can be managed through their mobile app and their customer care team is available to answer any questions. Call or visit their site today!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

3266 HelloFresh Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

Just started using HelloFresh a few weeks ago. I have enjoyed the service. It has gotten my daughter and I in the kitchen and enjoying cooking together. The produce for the most part has been fresh and servings have been generous. This last week however, we didn’t receive the recipe cards in the box. I called customer service to have them send them, and was told they can’t just send out the cards but I could go online to get them or they could email them to me. I told them, I wasn’t satisfied with either of those options. That I paid for the cards and they made a mistake and I would hope they would make it right. I even talked to a supervisor and was given the same answer. I told her, that I have enjoyed the service and it makes me sad but I no longer want to continue the service. It’s not about the silly cards, it’s about their poor business ethics. Another food service company will get my business.

Get expert buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

For the most part, we're happy with our HelloFresh service. I like that the variety of menu options has increased. We occasionally have missing ingredients that make it a little less convenient. Would really like it if you would display calorie and fat content for each recipe on the main selection page vs. having to click on each one individually to view it, would make it easier to make selections for each week. Would like some more lower calorie/lower fat options that aren't vegetarian.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I love the idea of the service and the recipes. I have been able to enhance my skills in the kitchen. However, the freshness of the porduce is starting to become really frustrating and they delivered one of my boxes to my neighbors. Thank goodness for honest neighbors. I had recently complained about this so I'm hoping no more issues going forward because I do enjoy the convenience and creativeness of the meals.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Overall this is a great service. It eliminates the need for me to meal plan and shop for 3 days out of the week (which is a huge lifesaver for a full-time working mother). The packages are delivered on time and are well preserved on ice. Lately, the only complaints I have are that I have had some issues with leaking chicken packets; missing items from my bag; produce that is either not ripe enough or too ripe; and finally squashed/ruined produce. So mainly my complaints are with packaging. There should be a way to package the produce so that it is not getting damaged. I do not enjoy spending $60/week and not having everything I need when I go to prepare a meal. Suggestions: put tomatoes in some kind of protective cardboard box, wrap zucchini and peppers, and please don't send me brown limes!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

We loved the recipes and the variety of the menus. We really enjoyed HelloFresh. The problem was that the produce became less and less fresh. When you have a zucchini dish and the zucchini received is totally unusable...what's the point? That was the final straw. Before that we had 2 recipes calling for ginger but weren't sent enough 'fresh' ginger to complete the dish. Too bad, we loved HelloFresh up until then.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HelloFresh US?

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Some dishes were less than scheduled time, some passed the time given. Vegetables are amazing and meat is clean and tasty. Packaging is perfect but box material did leak and stained my porch. Meats are amazing but pork chops are too thick but taste.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Been using HelloFresh for 3 months now and satisfied with recipes and ingredients. But the last couple weeks found tomato bruised and onion was 1/3 rotten. Also portion seem to be smaller. It like it was perfect initially and now quality has been suffering.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I have been intrigued with meal kits but actually enjoy grocery shopping so have been hesitant. I decided to finally give it a try and utilized a “special” code to try the first week. Right off the bat, I was annoyed by the website and having to enter all information INCLUDING a credit card before seeing any menu choices. I utilized the chat feature and found out how to look at the menus and despite my misgivings about the process took the plunge. Then right off the bat, I was annoyed by a $12 up charge I didn’t realize would apply, nor did my 50% off discount code apply to that charge.

I forged ahead and received my first delivery. The packaging was attractive. The produce did not seem very fresh and indeed three days later I had a moldy green pepper (main ingredient), a moldy tomato, as well as an onion with mold on it. As it was for stuffed peppers this negated the purpose of the meal. I have also been surprised by the small size of the produce offerings, as the green pepper was to feed two, it should have been a hefty size and it was not. I did call the company and they gave me a “credit” on my next delivery but not sure that is helpful as I think I am canceling.

Onward, another thing I found disturbing is the lack of use by/freeze by dates on the meat. I thought this was standard now and not sure how they get away without those. When I questioned customer service, she said “well you are always welcome to freeze the protein” but it is expected that you will use them within 3-4 days of receiving them so dates aren’t necessary??? I found the directions lacking, the pictures misleading, there are not step by step instructions but too many items crowded under one misleading picture. The directions require too many pans and bowls. There was too much washing up for a simple meal for only two people.

The meal I had the $12 upcharge for did not include a vegetable, luckily I had a choice in the freezer, then menu would have been lacking without it, but given the state of the small amount of fresh produce I did receive perhaps this is wise... So I am stuck with a credit for a service I think I am going to cancel, I deferral delivery week and I’ll decide what to do. So far I would not recommend.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I was very happy with HelloFresh; but, then the last 3 weeks have been one issue after another. First, my produce was entirely frozen and then thawed and rotted - totally unuseable. I was given a refund; so, decided to try it again. Items missing from my last delivery; but, I just let that go. Now, my delivery was shipped with some horrible UDS shipping, which has lost my delivery and has horrible customer service. I’ve reached out to HelloFresh 3 times now regarding this issue, and have received no help whatsoever. Have canceled my subscription for good!!!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Hello Fresh has changed how my family approaches dinner! I no longer have to worry about choosing what we will eat during the week and we are expanding our pallets as well. We have been very happy with the meal delivery service and any issues have been promptly dealt with by customer service. I recommend this service to my family and friends all the time. Thank you for making dinner time one of the easier parts of life!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I like Hello Fresh, I think it is fun and the food is good. I wish it was less expensive and it feels you Nickle and Dime us a lot with this whole "Premium" vs. "Pack extra" etc. I have had several issues with the produce you send, particularly avocados, not being ripe. It would be nice if those were packed outside of the paper bags so I know to leave them on the counter. I have also had issues with things being left out of my bags. You need better quality control. Lastly, I do not have a microwave, it would be nice if your instructions gave options for people without them.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Overall we love HelloFresh! I wish that you offered more organic produce (or let us know when it was organic). Also, please offer more glutenfree options. And lastly, we would LOVE to get 5 meals a week (we do 4 now, so that also means I need to find many gluten free options every week). 5 meals/week would be perfect!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Overall my husband and I have both really enjoyed our experience with Hello Fresh. With the exception of the Holidays, orders did arrive on time, and we were often given advance notice when they were not going to (though some was up to chance based on UPS's schedule). I do wish there was a way you could vote on meals, or request certain ones again (the pork bulgogi meatballs were amazing). My most recent order had a few key missing ingredients (garlic and vinegar) in the burger option bag. This was disappointing but since it's the first time that's occurred I'll chalk it up to human error.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

HelloFresh pushes the envelope with home food delivery service. It saves time from having to go shopping. More importantly, no matter what skill set you have as a cook, HelloFresh makes it simple and easy to understand, but additionally, it teaches those who don’t know how to cook, the essentials. Experienced chefs can learn a thing or two, from developing skill set to stepping up their recipes.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

There were so many emails from the company, and I responded to each, and I think that is why I twice received 2 different orders on one day, no order on another, and two of the same order on two different days. It was just too much and I decided I just could not handle it anymore. Customer service was very good at the beginning when we didn't know what was happening, but ultimately let me go.

HelloFresh response

Hi Nanci, thanks for bringing this to our attention. Please send us an email so that we can look into this for you.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

In the past, my boyfriend and I ordered Blue Apron for weekends we spent together. Once we moved in together in August, we discontinued their service. That’s when my friend offered me a free week of Hello Fresh. We really enjoyed our first box and made a New Years resolution to subscribe for a year. We have been blown away. The meal selection is a huge improvement from Blue Apron and we have had several meals that we favorited at first bite. We enjoy spending time cooking together and cooking meals with our friends. The portions sizes have been good for the two of us and we like that the recipe cards give portions for Both 2 & 4 so we can go back and recreate meals for friends and family. We highly recommend this service.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I started using Hello Fresh after our second baby when I decided to be a stay at home mom. I always enjoyed cooking but never had enough time. Hello Fresh makes cooking so easy, quick and convenient for our busy family! We love the program and I look forward to cooking dinner now! My picky toddler even loves most of the meals! Bye bye takeout and fast food!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I like that Hello Fresh gives you all the ingredients needed. Only once the main ingredient (meat) was missing, but it was promptly credited to my next shipment. Choosing meals are easy and it's nice to be able to skip whenever you need to. I would like to see MORE GREEN VEGETABLES incorporated into meals, with less starches like potatoes, rice, pasta, etc. as the main sides.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

The carrots that came with 2 meals were so small that you could barely peel them. Once peeled they were cut and smaller than a diam in diameter. For a two person serving it was less than 3 tablespoons each.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

My husband and I have greatly enjoyed the amount of flavor in our HelloFresh Veggie boxes. We wish the instructions were a bit more step-by-step, clearly outlined in bullet points for example. We also have had a few boxes with missing ingredients. Ultimately we have had a great experience though! Thank you!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

We have been clients of Hello Fresh for a few months now and have been very pleased with our meals. Delivery has always been on time, the meals have been very good, and, except for a couple of times when a vegetable was no longer fresh or there wasn't enough of a vegetable, our overall experience has been fine. Because of our pleasure with Hello Fresh, we plan to continue with them for some time.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I have tried a lot of meal delivery services and hello fresh has not missed a beat. All of the meals have been delicious and most importantly you haven't missed a single ingredient. I don't understand how other services miss ingredients. You have 1 job. haha. Anyway, thank you for making my life easier and more delicious!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Great taste at a reasonable price; easy to follow recipes and a lot of flavor and variety. Customer Service is very responsive to any issues that may arise. Overall I'm very happy and have recommended Hello Fresh to many people - I believe at least four people have become customers that I have referred.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I’ve been very happy with all my meals and all my boxes so far! My only complaint would be when I switched from Saturday delivery to Friday and UPS delivered my box. The box was more damaged than any of my first 5 boxes delivered via FedEx! Other than that, I’ve been very impressed! Just wish it was a little cheaper!!!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

A high school friend was posting amazing photos of her meals. I wanted to get on this right away. This is exactly what I needed in my life. Quick and easy and most importantly, healthy! This has made my life so much easier as a single, independent girl on the go. I have learned so many cooking techniques and new foods that I was surprised that I really did enjoy. I have been recommending this to my family, friends, and co-workers. People at work are shocked that I made the meals that I take to lunch. Pork has been my newest favorite protein! Keep up with the amazing menus! I get so excited when one is ready to be chosen for the week!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

The food was great. No complaints with the actual product. It takes longer than advertised, but I didn't mind that. The enormous amount of packaging was horrible! The ice packs are massive. All that ends up in a landfill. No way, I much rather throw away green, healthy stuff that will not poison our environment.

HelloFresh response

Hi Ruth, we appreciate you sharing this feedback with us. We'll be sure to pass this along to our team so that they aware of your sustainability concerns.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I described the quality issue with produce 3 weeks ago. Since, I have had problems with tomatoes and potatoes in 2 recent meals. The items showed signs of bruising and black spots. I substituted my produce and enjoyed the meal. While I continue to recommend your service but also advise that quality control at times is lacking.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Like many others, I enjoyed the convenience of HelloFresh and found (most of the meals) very good. However, when there are missing ingredients, ingredients that are so wilted that they can't be chopped and the worst...a potato that was in the rotting stage when packaged...this isn't acceptable. One can overlook a time or two of missing ingredients but rotting food - this is not acceptable. I contacted the company and told them I wanted to quit - they offered a grace period (2 weeks) while I reconsidered using HF.

This week I was notified that 3 meals were on their way. I had not placed an order, not given anyone at HF permission to order for me, nor to use my credit card. Again, I contacted the company and was told there was no way the order could be cancelled. Okay I understand that. What isn't acceptable, and lead me to post this review is - having meals sent w/o my consent and being charged for said meals. I am disappointed in the professionalism of this company and the lack of protecting the consumer.

HelloFresh response

Hi Elizabeth, thanks for making us aware of this. Please send us an email so that we can take a look into this for you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

This was probably the worst customer service I have ever experienced. To make a long story short, a coworker gave me a promotional code for a free box. I already had an account through HelloFresh, which I had cancelled a few months ago. I reactivated this account, and applied the promotional code. A banner came up that said “promotion code applied” or something of the sort, and I proceeded to place my order, under the impression my credit card would not be charged. A few days later, my credit card was charged for the full amount of the box.

After explaining my situation multiple times to multiple customer service representatives, which I felt was a reasonable situation to receive a full refund, none of the customer service members were willing to fix the issue I was having. They basically stated each account is only allowed to use 1 free box promo (we used a different one when opening our account initially). Again, this would be completely understandable if the website had not said my code had been applied and the charge to my credit card was “$0.00”. My girlfriend and I frequently buy HelloFresh for friends and family as gifts, and after this awful experience we will no longer be doing so. In order to keep valuable customers, customer services also need to be valuable. Especially when there are now dozens of meal box delivery services to choose from.

HelloFresh response

Hi Kelsey, we appreciate you sharing your experience with us. Please send us an email so that we can take a look into this for you.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Love the peace of mind Hello Fresh brings to our home when it comes to dinner. We have learned new skills and tips along with the new recipes and adore the variety it adds to the dinner routine. I will note that the past 2 or 3 orders have not had the freshest produce, but I have faith HF will work out the kinks with the suppliers and get back to the high quality we love!

HelloFresh US expert review by ConsumerAffairs

A Berlin-based company with U.S. headquarters in New York City, HelloFresh delivers fresh ingredients and recipes to the customers each week for them to prepare at home. The company even partners with famed chef Jamie Oliver for exclusive recipes.

• Various options: HelloFresh offers options for vegetarians, as well as larger boxes for families.

• Subscription service: HelloFresh sells a "subscription" that automatically renews each week unless you opt out.

• Wide delivery range: The company delivers anywhere in the continental U.S.

• Small suppliers: Food is purchased from smaller suppliers for the freshest ingredients.

• Choose your meals: You can choose which meals you receive each week to suit your own individual tastes and needs.

• Best for: Busy individuals, busy families and people looking to expand their cooking knowledge.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs