Grubhub

Grubhub

4.0/5 (146 ratings)

About Grubhub

Grubhub connects users to restaurants that offer delivery and pickup options. Simply type in an address and get matched with hundreds of restaurants nearby. Grubhub regularly has promos that waive or reduce fees, making it a low-cost, low-hassle option to get the food you want conveniently.

Pros

• Comprehensive app
  • Eco-friendly options
  • Many restaurant options

Cons

• Fees apply
  • Not all restaurants participate

Bottom Line

Grubhub is a convenient way to order your take-out favorites directly to your home or office. Because users can search by cuisine or restaurant name, it’s easy to get exactly what you want from where you want.

How does Grubhub work?

Grubhub helps customers find and order food from their current location.

Type in an address on the app, and Grubhub shows you restaurants that deliver to that location and shares multiple nearby restaurants with pickup services. You can also search by cuisine, restaurant name or menu item to have the app filter the results according to your specifications.

Once you find what you’re looking for, you can place your order online or by phone. The company then sends you a confirmation email with details of your order. Keep in mind that most restaurants require you to meet a minimum dollar amount before your order can be processed.

Grubhub app

Most orders are made on the secure Grubhub app. From the app, you can track your order, view previous orders and locate receipts. You can place an order up to four days in advance and save multiple delivery locations, such as your home and office. The app also provides access to reviews, coupons and special deals and gives you the option to decline napkins and plasticware at checkout for more eco-friendly delivery.

Grubhub fees

There is no cost to create a Grubhub account. When you place an order, you pay for your food plus sales tax when applicable and any tips you wish to give the restaurant or delivery driver. For delivery orders, you may also be charged a delivery or service fee.

Customers pay an order processing fee for each prepaid order. The rate is applied at 3.05% plus 30 cents per order. Grubhub frequently offers promotional codes you can use in-app to receive discounts on your order.

Grubhub payment options

Grubhub accepts all major credit cards, Grubhub gift cards, Paypal, Venmo, Apple Pay, Google Pay and Amex Express checkout. Payment is charged as soon as you place your order. The company also sells gift cards.

Grubhub FAQ

Do Grubhub drivers make multiple stops?
A Grubhub driver shouldn’t make more than one stop at a time. The driver can accept multiple orders but should deliver orders as they appear on the task list since going out of sequence could result in very early or late deliveries.
How much does Grubhub charge for delivery?
Delivery fees vary based on the city you’re in and the restaurant you’re ordering from.
Do you tip for Grubhub?
Tipping a Grubhub courier isn’t required, but it is encouraged. The company suggests tipping for any delivery but particularly for large orders or delivering in poor weather. At Grubhub, tips are paid directly to the delivery person and are not used to subsidize their pay.
Does Grubhub have a monthly fee?
No, there is no monthly fee. Grubhub charges a service fee per order.

Is Grubhub worth it?

Busy, on-the-go people benefit from using Grubhub. Though the company charges delivery or service fees for every transaction, the ability to order food and drinks from any participating restaurant with just a few clicks is valuable to people who don’t have much spare time or don’t want to cook. We recommend Grubhub for its varied options, intuitive app and eco-friendly initiatives.

Grubhub Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Grubhub?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Grubhubs?

Original review: Dec. 1, 2022

AVOID GRUBHUB AT ALL TURNS AND OPPORTUNITIES!!! GrubHub is a very unsavory scam! My first impression of GrubHub was an unpleasant taste in my mouth after its cofounder Mike Evans said that he started the company after falling into someone's armpits on a Chicago bus. Eewww! Then, I was unable to use a GrubHub $55 e-gift card, that was provided at an event, for an $11 pickup order. When I contacted them through Facebook, I was told that I had to provide a debit card to use their electronic gift card. It was terrible!! Many participants, like me, at the event were unable to use the gift cards. Reality check: Using gift card should be an enjoyable complimentary experience. Whenever, in the past, I have used gift cards from retailers and e-retailers, I have never had any problem. And ideally, a gift card does a good job at converting gift card guests into future customers. But not so with this crappy company!!!

Thankfully, the organizers of the 24+ hour event has tons of snacks. I now have a renewed appreciation for granola bars. Finally, GrubHub had no acceptable way for me to gift the unused GrubHub e-gift card to someone else. In their emails, they wanted info like "Your address associated with your GH account: The last 4 digits of your credit card used in a previous transaction. If PayPal, Venmo, Google Pay, or Apple Pay, please provide the correct email address, and username or let us know if Apple Pay or Google Pay was used. Gift Card Number: Reason for unlink request". I did not provide them with unneeded info.

My last email to them included "This entire experience, especially these back-and-forth messages ... and your procedure to gift an unused gift card definitely makes GrubHub unpalatable and undesirable. RIDICULOUS!! KEEP YOUR GIFT CARD!!! NO REPLY NEEDED!!!! DO NOT CONTACT ME AGAIN!!!". I rate this company as many negative stars, thumb-downs.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2022

I had noticed an unauthorized membership charge on my bank card. I asked Grubhub to give me information about it, cancel, and refund because I had not used it and it wasn't attached to my account. They told me to log into the account and cancel. I restated that I did not know the account and that was why they needed to cancel, refund, and provide details. This went on for more than two months, which means I was charged another $20 in membership fees on top of the existing fees I had been disputing. In the end they finally canceled the account (allegedly) and only refunded me $10 of the $50. They are entirely useless. I spoke to at least six agents via chat, email, and phone. They should get zero stars. Stay away from these clowns.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2022

After paying to become a Grubhub+ member, I tried to update my card and received an error message. Customer support consisted of them telling me to check my card number, delete and reinstall the app, and to keep trying until it works or to cancel. I asked to speak with tech support and this is a glitch within the platform and they said they were all there was. 2 of the 7 reps just ended the chat and hung up. I then reached out to their CTO who never responded. I have not been able to add payment info since and will never use GrubHub again.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2022

I ordered food around 8:30 pm. The initial estimate of delivery was 9:17 to 9:27, then 9:56 to 10:06. At 10:04 I got a text that my food was left outside my front. BUT NO FOOD WAS DELIVERED. INFURIATING! FRUSTRATING! HIGHLY DISAPPOINTED! Never again will I order through Grubhub. THEY SUCK!

Original review: May 26, 2022

I purchased a Grubhub digital gift card for a friend in another state who had recently had surgery. When they tried to use the gift card, it would not allow the card to be used. After each of us calling (being told by the “customer service” reps that they had to talk to the other) and spending hours on the phone, being re-routed innumerable times and given the run around, we were told the card had been fraudulently used AND Grub Hub would not issue a refund. This business is a SCAM and I warn anyone that uses them that their money, time and sanity is at risk!! At best, the customer service is a JOKE as it is just people answering the phone, reading from a script and routing people endlessly till they give up. Hopefully my lost $100 will not be for nothing and this will warn people away from this company and eventually they’ll have to go out of “business”…

Original review: Jan. 30, 2022

I haven't used GrubHub in over a year because I had a bad experience before. I thought I would try them again and instead I got my orders canceled on twice in a row after over an hour of waiting for each. So by the time the 2nd order canceled it was too late to order from another app or anywhere else. When I tried to talk to customer service about it they were completely unhelpful. The first customer service agent cut off the chat while I was still talking. Doordash is superior in my book.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

Grubhub Plus charged my credit card starting in Feb. 2020 monthly for a GrubHub+ membership that I NEVER signed up for. I guess I should've paid more attention to my statements, but ten bucks a month wasn't noticed until now (Oct. 2021). I called their customer service number and the two people I spoke to admitted that I never signed up for the service, but that after I ordered from GrubHub once, they automatically signed up customers for their "Plus" service/subscription (without their permission). And now they are telling me that their policy is to not refund subscription charges *even though I never actually subscribed or approved the charges!* I went round and round with the GrubHub rep by phone, and she said too bad, "I understand you didn't order it, but our policy is to not refund for past months." I argued, got nowhere. Wow, I cannot believe this!! They owe me $200!!!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

I ordered a food from Crazystone and never got delivered to my house, called customer service and they offered a refund which I don’t need a refund, I wanted my food and not the money back. Terrible customer service.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2021

I ordered through Dunkin Donuts this morning, 103rd Street, Jacksonville, FL. I am starving this morning. I am taking pictures of my food for record. The driver was nice but someone who packed the food is unsanitary. First thing I noticed, the apple fritter was clearly bitten into. Disgusting. Then the checked the hashbrowns, and they had been bitten into pieces so I said wait a minute. This is intentional. The sandwich was fine but let's be clear it looks fine.

At this point, I am scared to eat any so I reported to Grubhub. The coffee looks fine. They gave me a 5.42 credit and I am suppose to take a loss because that location has nasty people working in there. This is unprofessional and unacceptable and makes me question the integrity of the company. I don't want anything from them but to learn to be more customer focus oriented. If a customer is unhappy, there needs to be better alternatives. If you didn't have customers, there would be no business.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

To avoid the cold weather and an unfamiliar city we ordered from Cheesecake Factory using Grub Hub. We were very pleased with the quick courteous service provided by Grub Hub. The hot food was still hot and the ice cream was not melted. We really enjoyed our meal in the comfort of our hotel room.

Grubhub Company Information