Green Chef

Green Chef

3.0/5 (47 ratings)

About Green Chef

Green Chef is a meal kit delivery service that takes the stress out of cooking with easy-to-follow recipes. Customers get two to four ready-to-cook meals delivered to their door weekly for two or four people, depending on their subscription. There are no minimum subscription commitments, and you can skip deliveries at no cost.

Pros

• Natural, organic ingredients
  • Variety of meal options
  • Several dietary options

Cons

• Limited plans available
  • Pay extra for convenience

Bottom Line

Green Chef is a meal kit delivery service. It focuses on healthy meals, including keto, paleo and vegan plans. Ingredients are certified organic and naturally sourced. Weekly deliveries can be paused at your convenience.

What is Green Chef?

Green Chef is a meal subscription service that focuses on creating a healthy diet. Each Green Chef box contains sustainably sourced ingredients for ready-to-cook, restaurant-style meals. Green Chef’s ingredients are certified organic unless otherwise noted, and meals take about 30 minutes to make. Customers can choose from several meal plans that adhere to different diets, including balanced living, plant-based, ketogenic and paleo.

How does Green Chef work?

When you sign up for a subscription, you choose how many recipes are delivered in your weekly box. Each recipe is a complete meal with two to four servings, depending on your selection. Plans for two people include three or four meals per week, while those for four people include between two and four meals.

Each week you choose meals from your chosen plan to be delivered the following week. You can change meal plans from week to week or stick with your original choice. If you want to make changes or don't want to receive an upcoming box, you edit or opt to skip a delivery as long as it's done before the seven-day deadline. Customers can skip up to five weeks of orders at once. There's no penalty for skipping deliveries.

Green Chef prices

The cost of Green Chef varies based on the diet plan you choose and the number of recipes per delivery. Each recipe has two to four servings, depending on your selection. Options include:

• Plant-based recipes at the cost of $11.99 per serving for a weekly box, or $9.99 when ordering two or three boxes per week.
  • Balanced living meals at the cost of $11.99 per meal
  • Keto and paleo plans at a cost $12.99 per meal

Along with the cost of the meals, you also pay $7.99 per box for shipping. So if you’re buying one box a week with two recipes for a family of four, your cost will range from $103.91 to $111.91.

Green Chef FAQ

How much does Green Chef cost?
The cost depends on how many people you're buying for and what type of diet you choose. Meals cost between $9.99 and $12.99 per serving, and your box options include either six, eight, 12 or 16 servings.
Does Green Chef have an app?
Green Chef does have an app, but only for Apple devices. There is no Green Chef app available for Android devices.
Is Green Chef organic?
Green Chef does its best to source certified organic ingredients. All meal kit ingredients are certified organic unless labeled otherwise.
Where is Green Chef located?
Green Chef was originally based in Boulder, Colorado. Its headquarters is currently in New York, New York.
Who owns Green Chef?
Hello Fresh owns Green Chef. The company bought Green Chef in 2018.
How long do Green Chef meals last?
Ingredients typically stay fresh for about five days after arrival. Seafood ingredients should be cooked within three days of arrival.
Is Green Chef really keto?
Green Chef does offer a keto meal option. It has no grains, excess sugar, tubers, fruits, soy, gluten or peanuts.
Can you cancel Green Chef at any time?
Yes, Green Chef subscriptions can be canceled at any time. The weekly deadline for cancellation is seven days before delivery. It also offers the option of pausing deliveries for up to five weeks.

Is Green Chef worth it?

Green Chef is a good option if you're looking for a meal delivery service. It offers plans tailored to specific diets and uses healthy ingredients that are naturally sourced. Delivery is flexible, and you can pause shipments when needed. Subscriptions can be canceled at any time, so there’s no major commitment.

Green Chef Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Green Chef?

Original review: Jan. 25, 2023

I joined Green Chef because I need to eat better and healthier, and it was recommended by my friend who stated it was really good and she and her husband enjoyed it. Since I am only cooking for my husband and me nowadays this seems like the most sensible and financially smart thing to do. Plus it eliminates the amount of food waste I usually have. My first order was ok, I received the preselected meals from the vegan/vegetarian section, but I noticed that most of them had nuts as a part of the ingredients. Granted I did not have to add the nuts into the meals and they were packaged separately. But I don't like taking chances.

So, last week I purposely went through the meal selections and selected different meals for this week only to received the meals that were pre-selected, which all have nuts in them. So, I essentially paid over $100 for meals that I cannot eat. Customer service was unhelpful, "oh, I'm sorry, but the website doesn't allow you to make changes after 5 days before shipment". A complete lie! The first thing you see when you sign into your account is the button to either change the selection or hold the upcoming week. Needless to say, I have deactivated my account.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

First, and foremost, the food is mediocre at best, and pieces that beg to be thrown out at worst, with oftentimes essential items missing and including “fresh” vegetables which are well past their prime. Sadly, this is not the largest problem this scam of a company possesses. Their billing company is top notch making sure you are not even able to try their first shipment before they charge you for your second item. Want to change your delivery date, which they promise on their website and in their FAQs you can do at any time. Impossible! 6 days before our next delivery I called to let them know we had to go out of town for a family emergency. Two supervisors told me this couldn’t be done! Wish to cancel? They will nab you for one more payment and only at that time will you be allowed to cancel. I write this in the hopes that others will read this and not make the same mistake I made with my vegan family. Do NOT start any relationship with Green Chef!

Get buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2023

I went online because I was interested in this company. It asked for card info and then showed me the menu. I did not like the menu and placed a cancel on the account. Despite immediate cancel and calling, I was still charged for an order I did not ask to receive. I still have not received the order, and yet they still refuse to refund me.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2023

Long time customer of GC here. I've recently skipped most of my deliveries. Until the last year or so, GC was great! The recipes are still *pretty* good. That said. Green Chef used to be entirely organic. If they had to substitute something non-organic, they would let you know. Now, most ingredients are not organic (which defeats the whole purpose of me being a customer). Oh don't worry! You can still ORDER organic. But now, you pay an extra $5+ per meal for it. You used to get great proteins - pastured pork, pastured chicken, steak, wild-caught salmon. The proteins now come from the bottom shelf and are definitely no better than you'd get at your local fast food restaurant. And the worst part is, on top of all of these back-sliding changes, GC had the audacity to raise prices.

So now you pay significantly more for lower-quality food. The entire spirit of the service is gone. I am so disappointed, as there are no other organic delivery services that deliver to my area. Sometimes I go back on Green Chef and think about resuming service, but after looking at all the upcharges for decent ingredients, I just get mad again. Don't waste your money. There are plenty of other non-organic meal kits that are probably equally as good.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2022

I tried this service even though right now I really am not into cooking much. But today tried the talapia and it turned out really good--Now I have three more meals to make a shrimp dish and two pork....I cancelled since I do not have the urge to really cook much for one person. I imagine the other meals will be good too. When I get the urge I will try them again

Original review: Dec. 11, 2022

Genuinely, I think the food is delicious and it's been helpful to not have to come up with menus when we're a busy family. However, when you skip, absolutely make sure that it's updated in the app, online, multiple ways. I skipped several weeks because we just couldn't do it for a while and most weeks properly skipped. However, one didn't work for some reason (even though it was telling me it skipped in the app). I thought everything was fine until I saw a charge on my account for the full price, nearly $200 for 4 meals. I spent a long time going back and forth with them trying to explain that I skipped but somehow their database didn't update properly and I was charged. Why did the other weeks work being skipped and not this one?

Bottom line, the digital trail is extremely sparce. There are no warning that the order will be going through. The app doesn't always update properly when you skip. There's no confirmation ever if you do skip (I've never once gotten a confirmation email or anything). I filed a fraud claim with my bank because this is not good business practice. The food is great, but the hassle is not worth it in the end. I wish they had better policies in place.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2022

I had been enjoying this service. I signed up for a promotional deal on my first five boxes. On the fifth box the order never arrived. I called the company last evening and they did issue a credit to my account not my bank account, my Green Chef account. I signed in this morning to order my next box, expecting that they would be honoring my fifth box delivery promotion. The app would not. So I contacted customer service this morning. They refuse to honor the promotion on the fifth box. Over $28, they would not give me the service and promotion I signed up for, even though the delivery of my 5th box never arrived to date (it should have been delivered last Friday). Today is Tuesday so obviously the contents will be spoiled by now. This company obviously uses promotions to get you on board and once you’ve bought in the practice unethical business conduct. I do not recommend.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2022

We tried Green Chef for a month and usually had to throw out product due to it going bad by the time of arrival. They use way too much packaging, and the ingredients were only partially organic. They even billed me for boxes I had 'Paused' in their app. Overall the worst experience I have had with a meal delivery service.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2022

This was a nightmare experience. I chose Green Chef after doing some research looking for a gluten free vegetarian option. In order to see a menu you have to set up an account. To set up an account you have to enter your card information. They immediately charge your card. I went in, saw that their menu didn't actually meet my dietary needs, one of which is such a severe allergy that I have an epi pen.. I immediately cancelled the account thinking that I would not get charged as I hadn't ordered anything.

Fast forward two weeks. A box of food I didn't order shows up at my doorstep. I check, sure enough it's not even vegetarian. It's two meat based meals and one deadly fish based meal. I check, no the account isn't active. It wasn't my mistake. I check my bank account, sure enough they charged on the spot when I setup the account. I call customer service. They refuse to fix the situation. They claim it is my fault because there is some notification that I will be charged for the first box even if I cancel. I ask, well, if I signed up for a vegetarian box, why did you send me a meat box?

I would understand having to pay if it were for the type of service I was signing up for when I was going through the questions, but I cancelled before even submitting an order! The man on the phone belittled me and told me it was my fault for not reading the fine print, then sat there and said that there is nothing he could do, that I should have paid more attention. Do not use this service.! Buyer Beware. I've used several other services and they were always very polite, quick to fix mistakes. Please, please please do not make the mistake I made of trusting them. They cannot be trusted. They will take your money and send you things you didn't order.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2022

I had not even placed my order, planning to discuss it first with family. And then a few days later one of their boxes appeared and we were charged for it since they had access to my Google account. I called and they said they couldn't do anything about it. It was 6 days before the next delivery and they said they can't stop payment on that one either. The delivery was 6 days away and they are charging me anyway, even though I made it clear I had not authorized payments to begin with.