1.17/5
Based on 48 reviews that contain star ratings

56 Goya Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Worm inside Gandules can. Recently purchased from Shoprite in PA with an expiration of September 2021. I've never been so grossed out! I submitted a complaint to Goya.com and await their response. Please be careful when you purchase canned products.

Original review: April 1, 2018

I was cutting up some chipotle peppers from a can of Goya’s chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and found what appeared to be a cigarette butt. I tore it to shreds and surely it seems to be one. I understand that it must be a huge facility and hard to completely regulate, but are these people smoking inside and throwing the butts into the product?

Get expert buying tips about Food Products delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I am very disgusted with Goya. I opened a can of Green Pigeon Peas to make rice and beans. I look in the can and see a big maguey worm floating at the top. I called their customers service and they hung up on me. I have left messages, nothing. If a worm that big ends up in a can. It makes me wonder how clean is their processing center. Disgusting. I hope the CEO spends all eternity opening cans of beans with worms as big as the one I had in my can. I will never buy Goya again.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I usually make a lot of rice due to my husband being very picky. I usually make 7 cups at a time. I opened the green pigeon pea beans can and poured it in the rice. As I went to stir the rice I noticed something floating. I picked it up and it was a worm! So grossed out and mad I threw that entire pan out!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

My husband and I found an actual lightbulb in a can of chickpeas/garbanzo. We called the quality hotline immediately and the rep treated us like pranksters. We were shocked and couldn't believe they would want to downplay the incident by treating us like liars instead of seriously investigating to ensure other consumers did not have similar issues. We offered to mail in the items but were not taken seriously. We found a light bulb but they didn't seem concerned enough that another piece of equipment from the factory line could have fallen out in a nearby can. What if a smaller piece went unnoticed in a child's meal?! Why bother having a quality hotline?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Goya Foods?

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I was about to cook the red beans when I sat it down and noticed something on the surface. I struggled to empty out the remains and saw something very disturbing. I don't want to eat from Goya anymore???

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

Went to soak my garbanzos this evening to make a stew tomorrow and as I fill the bowl with water to rinse them they were infested with beetles. Upon googling the description of the beetle it turns out that the infestation occurs during storage which makes you wonder how clean and well kept these Goya facilities are. I had a second bag of Goya garbanzos and upon further inspection there were live bugs in there as well. Will never purchase anything Goya ever again. I will be returning this to Publix tomorrow morning.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

Just recently I discovered little black insects crawling in the Quaker Oatmeal we bought. We decide to look at our other packaged products in our home and found the same tiny insects in Goya Masarepa product that we always buy in ShopRite. It was disgusting! We also noticed the same insects were in the Kirkland Organic Quinoa we bought in Costco just a week ago. It makes me furious to know that we spend money purchasing products that are a possible health risk to the public. I will be contacting Costco and ShopRite in regards to these products and the companies. I am not buying these products again! Clearly these foods are contaminated. I can only imagine how filthy the packaging facilities are if I'm finding bugs in my packaged products. I wish there was way to get these products recalled immediately so no one else flies through this.

Original review: May 19, 2017

When adding Goya Black beans to the pan I found small pieces of what I believe to be beef. How would beef end up in a can of vegetarian black beans?? Makes me wonder what else could end up in their cans. I don't think I will buy their canned beans again.

Original review: May 17, 2017

Cooked some rice and was going to add my green pigeon peas from Goya. Upon opening the can 95% of the way, I let the liquid flow out while holding the top lid so peas don't fall out. Then when I opened up the lid to rinse them, I immediately see this long maggot on the side. Absolutely disgusting! I have been a customer for Goya products most of my life and I cannot recall how many times I have had this same product, I just never ever actually looked through it or noticed maggots before so I hope to God I didn't ingest anything unknowingly. I then removed the maggot and tossed it in the garbage. I emptied out the entire can on a bag to see if there were more but there was no more to be found. I tossed it all out, ate my rice plain so I don't waste it.

Really disappointing. I understand this can happen and upon investigating, it has happened too many times. Unfortunately I will stop buying Goya products especially the canned pigeon peas. I will thoroughly look better next time from whatever brand I buy. I am at work and I cannot submit receipt at this time but feel free to contact me and I will happily provide it if I can't add it later. For the record, I bought it at Tony's on 4137 N Elston Ave, Chicago, IL 60618. I have another can at home, I will probably boil those if I find nothing inside and then consume it so I don't waste it.

Original review: May 11, 2017

This is not the first time I have discovered weevils in the GOYA barley I have purchased. It is getting harder and harder to find in any brand in the stores, so I buy several bags when I do find it. I have contained the weevils in the original bag in a mayonnaise jar hoping to speak to someone in customer service, but have not been able to reach any live person. PLEASE HELP! The last purchase was for 4-5 bags and 3 of them had weevils in them which are still hatching!! PHOTO ATTACHED. It is hard to believe but they drill through a hard piece of barley and deposit an egg. When it hatches it comes out and leaves a drilled hole in each piece of barley. Pretty soon you have a bunch of what looks to be sawdust from the barley drilling in the bottom of bag. Then the hatched weevils drill their way through the plastic bag and getting into your cupboards!! (Getting out of the bag is a piece of cake compared to drilling into barley!!)

Original review: Nov. 12, 2016

I found a worm in the Goya green pigeon beans when I was moving the beans around. This is disgusting. I've seen others complained about this and nothing has been done. I will see if I can sue the industry. I'm tired of this.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2016

Ayyyyy Goya! I love corned beef. But if the key breaks, there is no easy way to open the can. Would you consider making the can round? I posted a comment on my Facebook and discovered that there are many people with the same sentiment. Finally enjoying my white rice and corned beef. It's an amazing product that is a staple in the Latin kitchen. Thanks for listening.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2016

I bought a bag of Goya rice yesterday trying to stretch the meals for the week. When I made the first pot is when I found a maggot in the medium Goya rice. I found it because I went to eat my food and there it was. So I went to the pot and there they all was it was, so nasty. I've been using Goya since I was 13 and never had this happen. It's wrong 'cause other families feed their kids this kind of rice. I'm never buying it again. If I wanted to eat maggots I would have bought them but I bought rice, not maggots and this bag said it expires 2018 which at that point one fell out the bag.

Original review: June 1, 2016

I've been a customer of Goya for many years. I had a question about their Goya Cola Champagne. Everyone I call, no matter what time of day it is, I get voicemail. Seriously? Customer Service, voicemail only. Why are you guys hiding from your customers. Your success depends on us. If you leave a message they don't bother to call you back. They must have a big RED delete button on their phones and press it all day long!! Very disappointed in your service. Hey, everyone buy from another company that cares about their customers.

Original review: April 19, 2016

I bought Goya Ceviche seasoning at HEB and it say it expires in 2017 so I used more than half of the bottle but I had a little bit and I pour it in some meat and string of white and mold string came out and was so disgusted by it. I will never buy Goya again no matter what it is...

Original review: Dec. 2, 2015

My grandmother was cooking and used half a can of Goya Canned Tomato Sauce. After adding it to the dish, she found a small piece of metal that resembles a small colander that you would find on a piece of machinery. In the past she has found an identical piece of metal in another can of tomato sauce. I hear bad reviews like this about Goya pretty often. We will no longer be buying Goya products after this second encounter.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2015

I was making Arroz con Gandules, and when I poured the beans in my sauteed garlic, onion, and peppers, something big and green poured out of the bean can and it was a gross meal worm. My entire family is so grossed out by this. They don't want to look at this dish again... the expiration date on can is 2019. There is a bunch of these same complaints. Goya should not be in business if you can't keep bugs and worms out. It is disgusting and we will never buy Goya products again. That goes for anyone I know that is aware of this happening. Clean up your act Goya...

Original review: Oct. 12, 2015

I purchased a can of green pigeon peas (gandules) and decided to rinse them before I placed them into my rice to cook, As I shook out all the beans, out popped a big nasty meal worm. I was horrified that this could have ended up in my food and the expiration date says 2018. I don't understand how this thing got into that can.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2015

I bought a set of 6 Malta Goya at a local store. Today I was drinking from one of the bottles and I took a pick on the inside. I found this thing, I can't figure out what it is. I can attach the picture for your review. Pretty disgusting. I was not able to determine what it is but I will never drink Malta Goya again.

Original review: July 22, 2015

Black beans in the can all mush, skins off, smells like sulfur, top all liquid & the rest all solid. All 10 cans are the same -TERRIBLE AND ROTTEN. NO RETURN CALL FROM GOYA. DONE WITH THEM.

Original review: July 20, 2015

Last night, brought two cans of Goya gondolas, pour both in pot and cut up my onions and green peppers and seasoned them with garlic, sazon, etc. Anyway, while I was stirring up the ingredients I noticed something long and green I thought it was a stem, so I pick it out, it was a long nasty worm. I show my friend who was here with me. She was disgusted just as much as I was. After last night I don't think I will buy anymore Goya products especially after reading other reviews, and turns out in the sofrito jar, there wasn't supposed to be meat inside it and I seen I plenty of times but never thought anything of it, until today I'm so disgusted.

Original review: June 11, 2015

I brought a can of gandules and as I emptied the can in pot I noticed a worm, a maggot. I was so disgusted cause I always eat these beans making me think is why I've been so sick lately. This is unfair to parents like me. Come on this is so gross. How would you like to eat worms?

Original review: April 28, 2015

I went to Fancy Fruits in East Colonial, bought my gandules, Goya as usual. I opened the can, put my bean to cook and for my surprise, I found a disgusting long worm in my gandules. I used to buy Goya products, but after this disgusting experience, myself, my family and friends no longer purchase Goya products. This happen like 2 wks ago. Till today I'm unable to eat beans. I get sick to my stomach.

Original review: March 21, 2015

I recently bought a 10 pack Malta Goya from a local supermarket and on opening one of them I found an object that look like a long piece of a dead reptile. Can provide a photo, and was so disgusting that I immediately dry retched. How could a company continue to be in business when so many complaints have been lodged against so many of their products? It is so wrong that they have not been brought to task?

Original review: Feb. 8, 2015

Found a worm in the can of Goya pigeon peas and got sick to my stomach.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2015

I found a worm in one of the Goya gandules can. It was nasty disgusting. Who knows how many we ate before I found that one.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2015

Around late November 2014, I purchased a bag of Goya jasmine rice at shoprite. When I went to rinse the rice, small bugs that looked like ants came floating to the top of water. I couldn't believe it. I poured that batch out and to be sure the ant like bugs did not come from my sink I poured more rice in a container and lo and behold there were several more! It was the most disgusting thing! I can't get the image out of my mind. I haven't had rice since.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2014

This was so disgusting as I'm cooking I'm thinking why is there meat in my white rice?! And looked in the jar and see little pieces of meat in the Goya Sofrito which clearly doesn't have meat products in it. Very, very, very disgusting. I'm very much don't with Goya!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2014

Bought a bag of Goya Brand Broccoli from a local mini-market. Brought the bag home and cooked with it. Turns out, the broccoli had a terribly fishy smell and tasted like innards of a fish too. I don't know if this is a problem with my local corner store or fine folks over at Goya. After reading all the reviews on this website, it's hard to tell because both seem equally likely. Living in Puerto Rico, where there is a huge Goya manufacturing plant, it seems like it might be difficult avoiding Goya products altogether. But I will definitely be suspicious of the brand from here onward.

Goya Foods Company Information