Gerber Baby Food
Based on 47 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Gerber Baby Food

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 3, 2017

49 Gerber Baby Food Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Gerber graduates chicken mashed potatoes and carrots - This was supposed to be chicken mashed potatoes and carrots. I heated it for 25 seconds, and this is what it looked like when I pulled the cover off... I almost vomited! I will never buy another Gerber product. This isn't the first time I've bought bad food and I'm sick of it! I'm not sure how it's even possible for carrots to form that shape.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I bought these at Walmart a week ago. Expired October 2018. The whole package is moldy. It was not opened at all. Completely shut. I will never be using Gerber again. Will be making my own baby food from now on.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

While I was feeding my son I seen he was choking and he spit a rock out into my hand. I know it came from the food because he had not even been put down since he woke up. I'm very upset and demand something be done.

Original review: July 30, 2017

Yuck. It's been a long time since my son was a baby, but even 18 years ago Gerber was just awful. I complained of the same things I read about here and the company did naught but send me coupons, as if I would buy their products again. I bought a small blender, a tiny steamer and just made everything myself. My son was "picky" with canned baby food, but once I fed him the homebrew, he went crazy for it.

Original review: July 14, 2017

When rinsing the plastic rectangular baby food container for recycling, my thumb was sliced pretty good. Took 2 days to heal up. This is due to a very stiff paper/foil material in addition to the outer plastic container. The injury was not that difficult to accomplish. I called the consumer hotline, at their request, after posting a photo of the injury to their Facebook page. They sounded alarmed and said this had never happened before. I find this very hard to believe. I am writing this review to inform others and ask they report any incidents here or online elsewhere. I could not find anything about my experience. In any event, take it as a warning. Do not become a cautionary tale. Handle with care.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gerber?

Original review: June 25, 2017

My now 2-year-old son has been eating Gerber blueberry with whole grains for at least a year and a half. Today we opened a brand new, store bought, sealed package with mold, and one of the sealed cups was empty. This has never happened before, but one time is enough. He did not consume any of this yogurt, but presumably he has eaten yogurt from this plant on previous occasions. Gerber is supposedly a trusted name for all things baby/toddler. This is definitely an eye opener that they cannot be trusted.

Original review: June 14, 2017

My 18-month-old was struggling to get the food out of his Gerber Graduates Grabber tonight and when I looked at it, I saw a hard jellied substance sticking out the top. I cut into the package and found that it was through the entire spout and down into the pouch. I can't tell what it is, but it definitely is not supposed to be there! The package is within its sell by date and was kept at normal room temperature after purchase. If my son had been able to suck it through it would have been a major choking hazard and also could have made him sick!

Original review: June 1, 2017

While I was feeding my 5-month-old daughter I noticed there was small hairs in my daughter's food, I started looking further and there was MORE hairs inside. This is after it was from a brand new package and seal! This is so disgusting I will be contacting GERBER about things immediately.

Original review: April 29, 2017

Friday 27 of April 2017 my mother in-law gave my son his usual snack from Gerber Fruit pick-ups dice apple. We found dead fly inside the container. My mother in-law almost gave this to my son without knowing there was a dead fly. I contact guard for their answer was they were sorry and that they would send some coupons. I googled to see whether I could find other situation like this and there are many.

Original review: April 13, 2017

I put a few puffs out for my son to eat while we were eating supper. BRAND NEW PACKAGE! I had just took off the seal. My son started choking. He had never choked like this before and never had problems eating anything. He choked so long he turned blue and we had to call 911. Luckily I had been trained in cpr or my son would not be here today. I had to flip him upside down to beat him, didn't work, tried several things before I just completely stuck my finger back in his throat as far as I could to get the thing out. They tell you never to do that because it can go back further. Well if I hadn't he would have DIED! It took the ambulance 12 minutes to get here. It takes 6 minutes for brain damage.

After everything calmed down, we inspected the Puffs and they were STALE! The BRAND NEW, NEVER OPENED PUFFS WERE STALE! When they got wet it caused them to get STICKY AND HARD NOT DISSOLVE. This product just needs to be taken off the shelf. I don't think any product of sales is worth a child's life. What if I had not known what to do? My child's life would have been on Gerber’s hands.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

On Wednesday (2/15/17) we unfortunately found what was determined to be a Tylenol 3/Codeine in our 6 mo old son's Banana Puffs. It is a absolutely upsetting to us as our son could have died. We have been loyal Gerber users for almost 12 years, we are full of disappointment. We have been offered coupon but declined as we will no longer be needing them to purchase their products. Many people on FB have contacted me with issues they have had: wood, plastic, medicine etc in their Gerber products. Thank you!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2016

Last night I was feeding my 8 month old stage 2 pears with his dinner when I noticed something shiny in his food. I pulled it out and couldn't believe my eyes. It was a large piece of hard plastic. One edge of the plastic was sharp and pointy. This is unacceptable.

Original review: July 22, 2016

I had given my 8 month old Gerber mango's and the 1st time I didn't realize it till after I had given it to her but I tried it and it tasted like it was fermented and smelled bad. I had purchased more and opened the container and they smelt bad too. Just wanted to let everyone know to smell and taste the baby food before giving it to your little ones. I did notify Gerber and they are checking into it. The expiration date on the cartons is May 25th 2017.

Original review: April 24, 2016

I don't know about the Gerber products that the other reviewers have complained about but I've tried Gerber Purees for my baby and they're great. He can't get enough of them and particularly likes the bottled carrots and squash. Of course freshly prepared baby food is still the best but when you're pressed for time, these Gerber products are good alternatives.

Original review: April 14, 2016

This place is the Target of Baby Food. I sometimes stop by to get a single item and leave $80+ poorer but with 2 additional items. That said, I do like what they offer. Everyone working is super friendly and willing to help. Parking is easy.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2015

1/2 through a can of powered formula we found a large hard shiny substance in can. Called the 800 #. Was told to take can along with unopened cans back to store for replacement. My concern is baby already ate from the can! Can't seem to get any response back from Gerber. They don't seem to be concerned at all even though we don't know what substance is!!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2015

I get to bottom of the can. I notice a ball looking subject in my son Gerber Good Start. So I take it out the can and it's all smelly and greenish... I wondering what in the world is this.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2015

I purchased 8 small glass 4 oz's of banana baby food. I was shocked to find that the first one that I opened contained a rubbery texture. After cleaning it to see exactly what it was, it turned out to be a piece of a rubber glove. It's horrifying to find anything other than baby food, and I'm hoping that's what it is. Please be careful when feeding your children. These items were purchased in Las Vegas, NV. Clark County. The identifying information is as follows: Dated 22 March 2017 203, 508 251 5927 US. This is all the information I can read on the lid.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2015

I found this in my 2 year old's meal last week. It looks like a piece of wood. Met with a Gerber rep to pick up this product, haven't heard back from them. I was a very loyal customer. I spent $75-100 each month. My son loved these meals & the other Gerber products but I returned everything that I had because I don't trust Gerber products anymore and now it's hard for me to get him to eat anything because he was so use to eating these meals daily. And I will never buy Gerber products again since this happened and reading all these other reviews!!

Original review: July 18, 2015

My 19 month old had to be rushed to the emergency room for vomiting and diarrhea; when we saw the doctor he asked what was the last thing he ate and my reply was "stage 2 pears from Gerber… Why?" He said he had food poisoning. Called Gerber and they said "sorry" and "we're going to send coupons..." REALLY? Are you serious?! I am contacting an attorney!

Original review: July 4, 2015

Got home from a day out and get ready to feed my son the Gerber Baby Food (peas). I started to mix the baby food with the baby cereal and as I was mixing it into the bowl, I noticed a brown thing so I picked it out and it was a long wooden shard!!! I thought this would never happen to me but it did! I have heard a lot of people complain about the Gerber Baby Food and thought it was fake - now I know it is totally real! Something needs to be done about this. They should be extra careful since this food is for BABIES! And as fragile their little throats are, if I would have just gave my 6-month old son this and not checking it as I stirred the baby food, he would have chocked! Everyone please check your child's baby food!! I'm so upset about this!

Original review: June 22, 2015

My 15 year old son has never stopped eating green bean baby food. He takes one everyday in his lunch. He is a Freshman in High School and still eats it everyday. Recently, he has complained that the green bean baby food with the new top is different. The consistency is different and it does not taste as good as the ones in the old packaging. He compared the ingredients and they are the same. What has changed? Babies cannot tell you there is a difference but a boy who has eaten it every day for 15 years knows the difference and is very displeased.

Original review: June 15, 2015

This weekend I decided to enjoy it by having an extra minute and feeding my baby Gerber Food. Why not? I grew up eating their food and I have been feeding my baby as well... up until this Saturday... when it changed it all. My baby has been keeping some pieces of food in his mouth and he will eventually swallow if drinks some water. Saturday was not the exception with Gerber Food but a little bit different. When I was giving him, what I thought it was his delicious pasta, I noticed he was keeping a big piece of food. I offered him water and he refused to even open his mouth. I tried again but this time he started crying and I quickly saw a piece of something, a whole of something!!!

I FREAKED OUT!!! That thing had to come out. Eventually this is what I found to be on his mouth, this piece of who knows what was in the Gerber food I was feeding my baby. This is unacceptable. I grew up eating Gerber. I was loyal to this brand but it won't be the same for my child. And I hope all the mamas out there keep their eyes wide open. I used to think it would never happen to me or that people who actually complain about it were not real stories. Well I take it all back. This can happen to anyone and the worst is that it can happen to our most loved little ones. Thank God he didn't swallow it. I thank God for it.

Original review: June 10, 2015

I opened a jar of beans and they were moldy.. Then the next day I went to feed beans again and the next jar was moldy.

Original review: May 19, 2015

Hello everyone... This morning for breakfast I gave my daughter banana flavored Gerber baby food. I was halfway through feeding her and was about to give her a spoonful then noticed something strange in her spoon. I looked through it and pulled out a big fingertip size piece of plastic! I've called Gerber repeatedly. All the representatives say they will send me an email in the next hour and they don't! They are not doing anything about this. They are also saying they'll send someone over to my address today and yet there has been nobody that stopped by. My baby is now in horrible pain and I'm bringing her to Er. I believe she ate plastic I did not notice.

Original review: May 11, 2015

I fed my 6 month old daughter Gerber peas and next day she got rashes all over her body. It was like hives and redness all over. She was so fussy for 2 days. The rash subsided after 4 days but it was a bad experience. I also tasted the peas and they tasted awful.

Original review: March 23, 2015

My Baby is 10 month old. Did the normal routine with her. Fed her Gerber 3rd food Guava Mango mix which gave her a bad case of food poisoning. She had bumps and rashes all over her body. Really horrible diarrhea and stomach. Had to take her to the hospital.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2015

My mother purchased the stage two Jarred meals of Gerber baby food at a local Target. When I began to prepare my daughter's meal I noticed that when I opened the jar the usual pop didn't happen proving the product wasn't sealed. I looked inside of the jar and there was a huge spongy chunk of mold on top and you could see that the rest of the jar was dried out and moldy.

Upon further review I saw that all of the 7 jars my mother picked up all had the tops popped up and all had the mold all with an expiration date of later this year. I never thought that I would have to check my daughter's food before I purchased it and neither did my mother because of all things I at least expect my child to be safe but now I will always have to check two, three, and four times and always inspect. I am absolutely disgusted to think that I have said my daughter this food and she will never be eating Gerber again! Any company that can't take food that goes inside of a baby's stomach seriously is not someone I ever want to do business with!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2015

Hi my name is Stephanie and I have a complaint. Well my son Alexsander has been eating Gerber baby food for 10 months and when I bought him the Gerber sweet potatoes baby food, I saw two maggots inside of the jar. It was so gross that's why I don’t buy him that anymore so thank you and bye.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2015

I was feeding my baby cousin Stage 2 banana and mixed berries and found this piece of paper clothy stuff at the bottom. At first I thought it was just a chunk of the baby food but I rinsed it with water and it's white and paper cloth looking. Now I'm freaking out cuz I just fed him over half the container.

Gerber Baby Food Company Information