2. Shopping
  3. Food Products

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.87/5

Gatorade Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gatorade?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gatorade?

Original review: May 8, 2015

I just got back from the ER my 16 yr old daughter has had asthma since 2 yrs old and allergies as well. She went to drink her nasty blue Gatorade frost and immediately her lip swelled. Tongue swelled. She tasted something different about her Gatorade. She had slimy particles in her mouth. Smell was horrible. She couldn't breathe. She got her inhaler out and used it two times. Her throat was closing. Her heart was racing, crying. I looked in bottle it looked like white slime. It was horrible!!! I will never buy Gatorade again and we are making it a point to tell everyone we know what transpired.

Whatever it was in bottle made her sick, woozy, panic, anxious, as well as allergic symptoms. I'M very concerned for the safety of my family and the public. Please let's bind together to get answers and results... I'M so in disbelief about all the comments on this site. This is first time I saw site. All these ppl saying about same thing happened to them!!! And we are all in different places, states, etc. What is going on and how is Gatorade getting by with this???

Original review: May 6, 2015

I was drinking Gatorade and noticed red floaty substances in the drink. It had a awful spoiled taste and smell. I had chugged a gulp before I realized it was bad! Then I thought I was mistaken. Took another sip. It was spoiled! I looked at the drink and started freaking out at the floaty substance that looked like blood clots. I looked on line... Lots of complaints of white or black jelly like substance in the drink which is suppose to be mold.. Well what the heck is a red jelly substance!?

Original review: May 5, 2015

Ew! floating gunk. My oldest boy (3) was ill and having a hard time holding fluids so I got some Gatorade. He downed some. Myself and my youngest (1.5) drank some also. I didn't even think to look. Since then we've been very "loose" and running fevers which weren't part of what was already happening. Thought that we caught another bug that had been going around. Not sure if it's part of this virus since most of our friends who've had it did not stay sick this long. We will be going back to the doctors with this new information as I've noticed we are not the only ones in our area to file a complaint.

Original review: April 8, 2015

My fiance's 19-year-old son brought me this bottle tonight first having me smell then look into the bottle. What I smelled reminded me of a petroleum odor and then what I saw looked like a living organism, similar to a jellyfish or as one other person commented a tapioca substance in slime. I also found a larger floating object that looks like a dark purple center surrounded by egg white substance. He had only drank a couple of big swigs which have already sent him to the bathroom with a very upset stomach.

Our entire family is now worried and he is downstairs on the couch to be near us and the bathroom instead of in his upstairs room. The bottle has the following numbers on it: Batch 32953201634 (pp), bar code 052000320169 bottle exp 11/6/2015 & 1216tt020955. We are going back to the store in the morning to have them pull the shelves and will be going from there based on how our boy feels. My angry concern is how many people have complained and I want to know what is being done?! We are hoping he finds his receipt and we will post a follow-up comment tomorrow after going to the store and seeing how he feels.

Original review: April 6, 2015

I happened upon this site on accident looking for why I would vomit liquid I had drank over 6 hours prior. I purchased both a lime cucumber for myself and an orange for my husband. When I first opened mine it smelt odd (i thought it was because I have not had this flavor before) and tasted a bit weird but I baby sipped it anyway, didn't drink much maybe 1/4 cup at most.

Thanks to Gatorade I spent Easter vomiting and laying in bed unable to do anything. I did not fathom to check my drink which was now in the fridge. I start to feel somewhat better in the evening so I get a drink... of Gatorade but I'm thirsty and chug about 1/2 of what's left. Wake up Monday morning to go to work and again I'm vomiting, not the food I ate before bed but the Gatorade I drank hours before I ate. Needless to say Gatorade cost me a lot of money today since I could not work... probably a bit over a thou.

Thanks Gatorade do I get a 50 cent coupon too? Oh ya, almost forgot... my husband drank half of his yesterday (Easter) and he's had a headache all day (Monday) and started feeling sick to his stomach a few hours ago. If he's not better tomorrow morning we lose close to another grand. If I could afford it, I'd send them to a lab myself and plaster the results everywhere! P.S. nothing floating or slimy in ours.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2015

In regards to the person finding a jellyfish like substance in the Gatorade, I have read this before and it seems like there are a lot of people who complained about the same thing. Knowing this I did some research and found that Japanese energy drink makers have been doing studies with jellyfish. Apparently there is a substance called Bioluminescence in Jellyfish and a chemical called Aequorn and another called Green Fluorescent Protein, GFP that can be extracted and used as additives in energy drinks.

I'm not going to pretend I know that the slime in the G2 Gatorade are small jellyfish, but the descriptions I have read all describe string like substances and what appears to be a jellyfish like slime or mold. What I can testify to is that I was using Gatorade G2 during my workouts and at night I felt nervous and sick to my stomach which became chronic. I also became very constipated and finally went to a doctor who gave me some test which came back negative. I stopped drinking the Gatorade and slowly my stomach got better and the constipation subsided. I feel better but I'm still not a hundred percent. I find that the best source of hydration is water. I also believe that with all these complaints this problem needs to be investigated.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2015

Pick up a 12-oz berry Gatorade, opened and took a drink. As I swallowed, a chemical, nasty taste came upon my senses. I ran to sink and spit out what else was in my mouth. I ran to bathroom throwing up and gagging. Threw up for about half hour. Have had chemical taste in my mouth for at least an hour, still causing me to gag and throw up. Never buy Gatorade again, and I'm telling everybody. If attorneys are watching this site, contact me, I'm saving bottle and will sue.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2015

I am unable to open any of the Gatorade bottles I bought. They make them where even the strongest man can't budge them. They sell a product that is so incredibly hard to open.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2015

Purchased an Extreme Mango Gatorade because I have a mild cold. I drank about a third last night and was awake half the night with excruciating stomach cramps. My stomach was bloated and tight and the cramping was unbearable. I finally got a couple hours sleep and woke up fine. I blamed it on dinner. Tonight I poured another glass and within 30 minutes the cramps were back! Its now been over 7 hours and I'm still in horrid pain. No nausea or other symptoms, just the worst stomach pain I've ever had (and I'm 48). Never, never again. BTW, I had drunk it before without incident and that's why I didn't suspect it. No odors or taste issues. Beware of this product!!!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2014

Bought a Gatorade (lemon Lime). About to open when I saw something floating in it. Grossed out and inspected. YUP MOLD!! Looked like someone took a dust bunny and put it in the Gatorade and it grew a mucus around it! So nasty! Call Gatorade and give them info so they can recall the products.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2014

I gave my 9 year old son a brand new Gatorade with the expiration date of 2015 to drink. He drank most of it leaving about 1/3 of it. I myself was thirsty and drank from it. After a couple of sips I felt a large jelly like substance go into my mouth. I immediately spit it back into the bottle and then poured it into a bowl to see what it was. It looked like a jelly fish or mold whatever it was I saved it and took a video of the entire process from me pouring it into the bowl. I am breastfeeding my 3 1/2 month old daughter and now I am hesitant to nurse her because of what happened!!!!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2014

My sister purchased several bottles of Gatorade on November 26, 2014. My niece loves anything to do with orange or mango flavor so she grabbed that one. She drunk over half of the bottle when she felt something weird stuck in her braces and she immediately went to the bathroom to look in the mirror to see what it was and it was some white smelly slime stuck in her braces and brackets. She ran and informed my sister. She helped her get it out of her braces. She then went to look in the bottle and there and behold a lot of it floating around at the bottom. She also started complaining about a stomachache and feeling dizzy. She tried to sleep later that night but she couldn't.

The next day she still had stomachache, headache and had two nosebleeds. My sister took her to the hospital and they were no help at. She contacted the health dept. and the Agricultural dept. about it. She also contacted the company itself and they want her to send in the bottle. I told her to wait to contact an attorney about the situation. It’s been a week and my niece still can't eat regularly. When she tries to eat it her stomach hurts. We are taking her to another hospital. Hopefully this one will run test on her.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2014

I was feeling a little dehydrated and made a glass of orange Gatorade from the powdered container.. My husband used to drink it a lot in the summer while working in the heat. I was sipping it slowly because I don't much like the taste, when I started to feel queasy. I got a really bad headache and was puking my guts out within a half an hour of my first sip. I had only managed to swallow about 1/4 of a cup of the nasty stuff before it all came back up. It's been about 3 hours since I started to get sick and I still feel nauseous and my head is exploding. I will never go near Gatorade again. I feel awful!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2014

I too purchased a bottle of lemon-lime Gatorade from a gas station in south AL. I drank a third of it b/f I noticed white gooey material floating in it. I called Gatorade and they said it was mold spoilage and they would send a box for me to ship it to their lab. This is totally gross and freaked me out. It is terrible that people give this to their kids and think they are being healthy. I will never purchase Gatorade again.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2014

I bought a bottle of Frost Glacier Cherry from a convenient store this past Weekend 09/27/201- 09/28/2014 and as I consumed the product I smelled toxic fumes, I initially thought there was some gas leakage in the house when I noticed it was coming from the bottle I was drinking. I asked my fiance for a second opinion smell and she confirmed there were toxic fumes emitting from the drink itself. We set the bottle down in disgust and noticed it had a thick film in the area I drank and the liquid was sticking to the film, sort of like how oil and water does not mix. It was clear there were some oily substance in this bottle you could see it. Shortly after I got lightheaded & woozy, passed out to the point that my 1 & a half year old son was crying & throwing a tantrum (because I wouldn't give him any) next to me and I could not even take care of him, threw up a few times later the next morning. WHY has no one done anything about this? I researched online and found nothing, no actions taken against Gatorade. I found this website with so many people complaining about Gatorade products. Gatorade needs to answer for this. I almost gave some to my 1 year old son for Christ sakes.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2014

We bought a gallon of blue frost G series Gatorade at Walmart today, 9/22/14, Elko Nevada. My three kids poured a cup and about vomited from the nasty taste it had. I did not believe it until my oldest kid had me smell the inside of the jug only to become struck with the worst smell and taste in my life! I am calling Gatorade first thing in the morning regarding this issue! I hope my kids do not get sick Gatorade company!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2014

Ok a couple days ago I bought 3 bottles of Gatorade lemon-lime, fruit-punch, and grape. Well I opened the lemon-lime and had white strings floating on top (I started gagging) in the fruit-punch bottle. I opened it and poured it into a glass and it had a very strong (pee) smell to it. So I slowly poured it into my sink and there were like jelly blobs in the bottom and with the grape, I just took it back to the store and got my money back and bought a Powerade. I am completely done with Gatorade and I am now switching to Powerade only and those bottles of Gatorade didn’t expire until April 13, 2015.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2014

I thought it was just a bug but realized after a couple of weeks that every time I drink a small gatorade (only 1 per day) at work I have severe stomach cramps and diarrhea all next day. I am reading others who have similar problems with gatorade but what I am really wondering is if you have stomach ulcers or crohn's disease should I really even drink it?

Original review: Aug. 7, 2014

If you or somebody you know drinks Gatorade I think you should read this. You need to be aware of this. Gatorade almost killed me. I'm very physical and especially in the summer in extreme temperatures all the time and get very thirsty. I thought Gatorade was a healthier drink better than drinking soda. On the average I would drink 2 to 4 Gatorade's per day for the last 16 months. Prior I drank water during the day. Gatorade almost killed me. I don't really think this is a drink for small children or even older children. If children drink this drink they should drink very little of it even if they are doing sports. I would still recommend water over Gatorade. But please be aware I see it everywhere at the grocery stores, at Walmart, at Target. It's on display like it's just water.

This drink really almost killed me. I have done nothing different in my life other than I'd say about the last 16 months have been drinking Gatorade as my primary drink. Being in extreme heat in the 100's the last few weeks up to about 108 I increased the amount of Gatorade I was drinking because I was thirsty. About 2 weeks ago nothing would quench my thirst. I had started peeing more than usual but I thought it was because I was drinking more. My vision then got blurry so I went to the doctors. My blood sugar level was at 288 when It should be around 100.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2014

I drank Gatorade that had been in my car for a few weeks which I had in my plastic drinking container. I drank almost the whole bottle and then I noticed dark green chunks of mold. I started to have chills and sweats almost immediately. I tried to throw it up but nothing came out. All afternoon I have got bad stomach cramps and I have a major headache. Omg... I drank MOLD! Chunks of it. When I cleaned the container, dark green mold was attached to sides of the container and I scrubbed and scrubbed it... very difficult to get off. What the heck is it doing to my stomach? I'm feeling very dizzy now. I can't believe I drank so much of this. I'm not sure what this is going to do to me. I drank this around 10am and now it is 6pm. OMG... this is very insane.

Original review: July 22, 2014

Today, 7/21/2014 around 11:30pm I drank half a bottle of Gatorade Frost, Rain Berry to find a smell like beer. With closer examination, I found floating strings in the bottle after I poured it into a glass. Expiration date is Feb 16, 2015. Absolutely disgusted and hopefully not going to get sick. Absolutely my last time drinking Gatorade.

Original review: July 6, 2014

My son was up all night a few days ago vomiting. He is 7 and had Gatorade for the first time. When he would start to feel better, he would have some Gatorade and then start to feel sick again. This went on for 3 days (we had purchased 2, 32 oz bottles) before we made the connection that he was only vomiting Gatorade.

Original review: June 30, 2014

I chugged half a bottle of a kid-sized grape Gatorade. My whole family did too. The weird part is that they were perfectly fine, but me on the other hand, I was in the bathroom for about 30mins to an hour. After that, I could hardly walk because I felt so nauseous and then 30mins after that, I vomited out ALLLL of the contents in my stomach. I haven't had Gatorade in years, and it smelled and tasted perfectly fine. I don't know why this happened.

Original review: June 23, 2014

I drank Gatorade 2x in the last two days, and immediately felt nauseous and last night got diarrhea, intense stomach cramps, vomiting, and night sweats. I know it was the only thing I had that nobody else in the house had, and every time I drink Gatorade I always have severe stomach problems.

Original review: May 3, 2014

Same thing.....Jellyfish in my drink.....strings caught in my teeth, totally grossed out so took these pictures. GATORADE.....DO SOMETHING.....NO COUPONS....WILL NEVER DRINK IT AGAIN. GOING ON FACEBOOK WITH THIS ONE!

Original review: April 27, 2014

My daughter and I shared a bottle of Gatorade orange and after 5 min we both had a strong stomachache, with nausea and chills. Since that Gatorade was the only thing we drank/ate in common during the day we think the pain was caused by this product. The pain was intense. It did not get better with antacids and continued through the night.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2014

Okay so I just had this norovirus two weeks ago. Last night I grabbed a Gatorade G2 fruit punch and right after I drank a bit of It, I felt like I needed to vomit. A bit later in the night I started having diarrhea and aches. I know it's from drinking that. It is one that came in the big pack at Sam's Club. Expiration date is July 04 14 the numbers by the date are. CT727. 144SDT100731. There is little specs of white stuff floating all over in the bottle but that could be from back wash possibly. It smells like fruit punch but I wish I wouldn't have smelt It as It made me feel like I am going to vomit.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2013

I open the the fridge and noticed there was only orange juice and my 8-year-old's kid size Gatorade so being that it was late, I didn't want orange juice so I grabbed a Gatorade of the 12-pack ring, opened it without looking at the contents. I heard it crack the seal so thought it was fine. I began to drink it and noticed it was thicker than what I was used to Gatorade tasting. Immediately I spit out the rest and looked at the bottle. I noticed the color of the liquid was a shade darker than the rest of the bottles. Also there was a black clotting film floating around. Super worried about what that could be and how it can affect my health and possibly my child's health, the fact that these small child size Gatorades go to school with my daughter. The expiration is not for another six months, May 10, 2014.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2013

I took a sip of Gatorade this morning, and immediately noticed a distinct chemical smell. At first I thought it must be in my head, I put the drink back in my bag and went to work. At work, I took another sip, and again noticed the smell. I had a bunch of other co-workers smell it to ensure it was not just me, all agreed the smell was awful. I had never heard of a Gatorade going bad (and this one does not go bad for another six months). I immediately posted a note on the Gatorade site listing the bar code and where I purchased it, thinking this might be in a lot of bottles and people could get very sick.

I started doing some Googling and found this site with people with similar complaints. It was not until I read some other posts about stuff floating in the Gatorade that I even checked. Some people claim they drank a third or half a bottle before noticing something floating in there (which to me is shocking, since the smell is absolutely vile and acrid). Once I checked, I found some sort of thing floating in there. Others say they finished off the bottle and only afterwards showed signs of food poisoning. It is hard to describe what is in there, but the best way one of my co-workers described it is, "It looks the same way a jellyfish does when it is floating in the water." Other posts claim they have received responses from Gatorade of an apology (and coupons) and an explanation that it is some kind of "mold spoilage." Quite a few posts describe food poisoning symptoms afterwards. I have been drinking water for about two hours since in an attempt to flush my system.

I am confident that it is probably not a major issue, but it seems to me that our senses are a common sense approach to spoiled food, and that smelling as rancid as it does, means it really is not good for you. Would you eat a piece of fruit that was visibly rotten and smelled bad? I don't know what the effects of that would be, but common sense tells me it will probably make me sick. I think it is important to note here just to document what I saw. I feel alright. My throat feels a little sore and my head is achy, but it is difficult to assess if these are true symptoms or simply psychological after reading so many other posts about people getting sick.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2013

This morning I cracked open a brand new bottle of Lemon Lime Gatorade (G2) 32 oz. EXP Mar 06, 2014 #22110L060933. The bar code reads 05200033877-5. The small number under the barcode reads 32953387757(BE). I took a big swig of the drink and felt something in my mouth. I dribbled all of the Gatorade that was in my mouth out onto myself, because I was so grossed out. I spit the foreign object out onto my hand. I discovered it was a glob of jelly like substance accompanied by a white worm. I am so grossed out. An hour has passed now and I begin to feel sick. It could possibly be psychological, but this wouldn't explain the over watering of my mouth I am currently experiencing... I am also a little more concerned now that I have read the following reports claiming similar experiences... minus the worm. Guess I was the lucky one to get a bonus!

Gatorade Company Information