1.55/5
Based on 136 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

143 Frito Lay Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I have been eating Lays Classic Potato chips every single day for the last 3 months. Got a new bag with an expiration of 9 April 2019. Chips seem to be of different texture...maybe thicker and more starchy, less of the original thin buttery crisp. Also, whatever they are coated in literally burned my mouth and throat, like an instant poisonous irritant! Have you ever gotten hairspray in your mouth on accident? Well if you haven't, you will know what that feels like after eating these. They taste like they are coated in lite salt, or baking soda that burns and leaves a horrible after taste. Very disappointed as these were my favorite go to snack. I just read the ingredient label and realized they have scaled down the quality of the oils used to make these.

I have been on an allergy elimination diet so I had been eating these chips due to the fact they only had three ingredients and were safe for me to eat: potatoes, sunflower oil, and salt. Now the ingredients contain CORN and canola oil! Of course I am not supposed to be eating corn, so thank you to exposing me to a potential allergen! Pretty shady that companies can change the ingredients on products without any sort of warning! Forget the fact they might make me sick, they are now unedible! Why do companies always have to go and change such perfect products?!!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Today, I purchased a bag from Walgreen's. Paid $4.29 for two bags... Expiration date is April 9, 2019... Well, they were fried in rancid oil. They smell rancid and more importantly they taste rancid. They are terrible. Both bags are unedible. (EATING FOOD COOKED IN RANCID OIL CAN CREATE BIG PROBLEMS IN THE BUT AND BOWEL) so needless to say, as a medical person, I refuse to eat them.

Get expert buying tips about Food Products delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

If I had wanted Onion and Garlic potato chips I would have bought Onion and Garlic potato chips, what I really really wanted was Sea Salt and Cracked Black Pepper potato chips but what did I get? You guessed it! Why do you guys suppose that a little onion and garlic powder improves the taste of everything, including salt? It's just not true.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I was eating out of a bag of Harvest Cheddar Sun Chips when I came across a chunk of undercooked chips all stuck together, about 24 raw uncooked chips clumped on one another. There was also a considerable amount of uncooked chips by themselves in the bag. Love the chips but this is the second time in a month I’ve had a bag full of raw chips.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I would pay full price for these chips over others on sale because they WERE really good and perfectly salty. I especially liked the chips that folded over while cooking. What happened to the flavor and what happened to the folded ones?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Frito Lay?

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I bought a bag of Nacho Cheese Doritos and there was no cheese on my Doritos. These are our favorite chips and to be disappointed that no nacho cheese on our chips. The chips did not taste right. We are very disappointed.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I've loved Fritos corn chips for 50 years. When I was a teenager, the ingredients were corn, can't recall what kind of oil, perhaps vegetable or corn, and salt. Back then I was wanting to be a health-conscious, so I ate and enjoyed them even though they had salt. But now, and the last two times I bought them, the oil and perhaps the bag itself smell weird, like fish oil. As I said, the 2nd to the last time I bought a big bag, and upon opening it, the smell was so gross that I tossed it out. A couple weeks' later, I bought a smaller bag with similar wrapping hoping that smell wouldn't exist, but upon opening the bag, it did. What's the problem? GMOs? The newer plastic wrapping? The oil itself? Very disappointed, Frito Lay. You lost a decades-long customer.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I’m so let down Frito Lay, 6 decades of your classic potato chips and the corn chips being my all time most favorite hands down and now it’s boiled down to this awful, tasteless, bad nothingness. What changed, did you change the cooking oil to some other fake garbage that leaves a bad oily aftertaste when eating the potato chips. Olestra or whatever it was comes to mind years ago - yukkko. Taking the jumbo bag of barely eaten potato chips back for refund and won’t buy them again, already found a wonderful replacement.

And as far as the corn chips, tasteless nothingness as well as the bean dip I used to eat with them, totally off tasting bland, so bummed. Not sure where I’ll find a replacement for the corn chip and bean dip but won’t buy this junk again. So bummed after close to 6 decades of loving your products. And those poor people that found foreign objects in your products, reminds me of the sinking hostess ship with bad union problems where things were being sabotaged to force company into higher wages but instead it went belly up.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

These are good usually, but recently I've bought 3 bags in a row that literally had no taste. The seeds were just void of any sort of taste, yet the product dates were all well within reason having many months before they expire. Time to switch brands. Up till now they were good so I don't know what happened to them.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I purchased a bag of Lay’s plain potato chips. And immediately the smell was off. I looked inside of my bag to discover a weird brown mound of burnt non potato chip. I don't know what it is. I need to have it examined. I'm grossed out! Ewwww!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

For the past year I have been buying the Lay's Sour cream and onion chips, as they are one of my favorites but I have noticed maybe the past five times that I have bought them, the bag is usually filled with broken, burnt and poor flavored chips! These are not exactly cheap chips depending on where you buy them but I'm tired of buying chips that are horrible. I even thought maybe the store I was buying them from was the issue but no, no matter where I buy them they are always broken (nearly crumbs) and burnt! Nevermind that the decent pieces don't have much of a taste. I have to know what is going on when it comes to packaging these? Why should I spend four bucks on broken, burnt, and tasteless chips?! Please fix these issues.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

You don't want potato chips to melt in your mouth. We used to eat UTZ potato chips but, when I tried Lays, there was no turning back. Have been buying for many years now. They never taste stale. What have you done to these potato chips. Now when opening a new bag they taste stale right from the start, UGH! What happened to the crunch! It's got to be the oil! Very disappointed and, I refuse to buy them again!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I brought a bag of bacon wrapped jalapeño wrapped chips. We was excited to try them. But what a HUGE disappointment!!! We can’t even eat the bag. There isn’t any BACON or JALAPEÑO taste at ALL!!! A waste of money. DON’T BUY... so VERY DISAPPOINTED.

Original review: May 23, 2018

About a month ago, I purchased a small bag of Funyuns from a local store. Towards the end of my Funyuns, I bit down on something very hard and unpleasant. I spit everything out of my mouth to find a penny. I bit down on a penny that was inside a Funyun. My front tooth hurt a tad bit so as I felt around with my tongue and looked in the mirror. I saw my front tooth had a small chip in it. The next day I called Frito Lay to complain about this incident. Do you think they were concerned? No! The person I was speaking with in their Consumer Affairs Dept made it clear that they were a million dollar company and I had to prove to them that the penny was in the bag. All I was trying to do was explain to them that I bit down on a penny that was in one of their bags of Funyuns and I would like for them to pay my dental expenses to have my tooth fixed. I have no reason to make up a crazy story like this.

Since then, I have done nothing but fill out forms and paperwork to explain what happened. I finally received a form for dental procedures and of course, I have to pay for everything out of my pocket and hope to get reimbursed. I asked several people I know, should I get an attorney? Should I just work with them or forget about the whole thing? Some said work with them while others said forget about it cause Frito Lay doesn't care about you. It's made me mad enough to never buy another Frito Lay product again and to tell everyone I know about it. You hear of these crazy stories about roaches, bugs and mice in foods. I can see that happening in a huge factory with open vats, but a penny!!! How does a penny get into a vat or on the production line/belt?

Original review: May 1, 2018

Purchased this Lay's Smooth Ranch Dip from King Soopers in April 2018. Opened it today and found black and orange gunk under the lid. Doesn’t smell like anything more so just looks concerning, having been unopened.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I eat flaming hot chips all the time including Takis, and Cheetos. So I thought I would love to try hot Fritos. While they tasted okay- I was up puking all night!! I’ve never been so sick from eating chips in my life. Pull this product!!

Original review: March 25, 2018

Lay's had this contest going in the summer and some people who made it in time (which I did or wouldn't be able to participate in) So we were told to personalize/ design a bag of Lay's and they said they would make it and send us the print on their bag when you made it on their website. Well surprise surprise. I never got mine. It took hours for me to design and then after they asked me all this information. It's not cool or right for them to offer something then never make good on it. They ended up wasting my time, along with my design, and personal info they most likely will use to cross trade with other giant companies. I don't like the fact that they offered something and just really didn't hold up their end of the bargain yet they got what they asked for.

Original review: March 3, 2018

I purchased a box of the variety spicy chips from Wal-Mart and as I was eating the spicy nacho flavor I chewed on something that looked like wood and I choked on it. I was not happy about this at all. If my bag had some in it I’m sure it’s plenty more out there that have some also.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I won't go on a long tirade... But today, 3/1/18, I purchased a bag of Lay's Classic Potato Chips. I rarely buy chips of any sort, but I crave these once in a blue moon. What the heck happened? They aren't as thin, have a different 'crunch' to them, and they have an odd taste. Guessing maybe a new oil or something? Not a fan of this though... Bummed. These just don't even seem like the same chip in any way, shape or form. Weird.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

Besides the time I bought crackers that had weevils both alive and exoskeletons in the pack my only other complaint would be that their chips do not have any toppings on them hardly anymore. I used to savor in the especially cheesy ones or ranch Doritos but now they are bland without hardly any topping. They are not worth the $4 a bag that most stores charge. You are basically eating corn chips with no flavoring and paying a bucket load of money for them. For as much as they cost you would think they could keep their customers taste buds satisfied and provide better quality control.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

First let me start by stating the chips were my favorite. One day while I was eating the Jalapeno chips I bit into something that felt like a stone. I pulled the object from my mouth and behold it was a small tiny tan object similar to the size of a nerd. I called the company in December 2017 and to date I am still providing my life story. If I am married, the ages of my children, my salary, xrays, my ssn, my address, etc. They are now requesting 2 years of medical records. This process is very unsettling when they are the ones at fault. I have a fractured tooth and still waiting for them to own up to it. They sent me a $4.00 check to purchase more product. Go figure. Has anyone else had this issue? Please respond as I am ready to contact NBC to assist with this issue!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

Just wanted to say how good your Queso Blanco dip is. I don’t usually buy queso in a jar or can. I buy my queso at my favorite Mexican restaurant. Other queso dips did not compare. My son bought Queso Blanco a few months ago and I was pleasantly surprised at the taste. Today I decided to get me a jar and try it again. It did not disappoint! I will recommend it to my friends!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

Yesterday I purchased a bag of individual snack sized bags of chips, a classic mix of 20 single bags. I got a little bag of ranch flavored Doritos out to give to my son, when I picked it up I immediately noticed it was lighter than any of the other small bags. We didn't open it but it was easy to tell that there is only maybe one chip in the bag with a lot of air.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I bought a jar of Lay's Smooth Ranch dip this evening when I got off work. Came home & wasn't paying any attention, ate a li'l bit of it. Finally noticed that there was some brown gunk on rim of lid and outside rim of jar. Looked like glue and smelt like a crayon. Grossed me out so I called the company and the woman told me I would be fine and no glue or mold is toxic at their facility and that I should not get sick. My tummy hurts but I believe from stressing about it. Anyone have any advice or had this happen to them? It's not mold. It looks like glue but smells like a crayon.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Bought a bag of my favorite bag of snacks flaming hot Cheetos. I was munching away when I felt something hard with a heavy crunch. Bad tasting. I spit it out and it looked like burnt meat. Started shaking the bag and I see more and something that looks like a rib from a small animal and more stuff started coming out. I am sadly to say I’m never ever buying their products again.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I decided to eat a snack that I had grown up loving this week, so I got my son and myself a grab bag size of Doritos and Frito Lay Nacho Cheese Dip. I must have been really hungry because I ate it really fast. As soon as I finished eating it, I began to feel weak and really sleepy. Then I started to feel horrible. My head started aching and I got shaky. I felt like I had food poisoning. Two days later and I still have a headache and neck stiffness. Weird, but I don't think think that will be my go to snack anytime in the near future!!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

What happened!! These were my favorite at one time and now they are nasty!! It tastes like the oil they use now has a distinct taste that overcomes the whole chip enjoying experience. I believe it's the oil but not sure. It does change the potato flavor and not in a good way. It changes the crispness and the way they feel. I had to throw them out because no one would eat them due to the flavor and the abovementioned. I also have noticed Cabot Cheese is another product that use to be great but that has been messed with too an awful bitter taste ugh!! Bring back the old way of making them please!!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

What's up with Lays classic potato chips? After purchasing several bags lately I am convinced that they are not of high quality any longer. Lays Chips are now stale, tasteless & just bad. Does anyone know what the problem is here? I won't buy another bag of anything with Lays on it until they fix this big problem... So unless you like stale, tasteless potato chips I wouldn't buy any either if I were you.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I enjoyed eating these cookies until this one cookie had a crunch! I spit the cookie out and looked at what this crunch could be? I've never experienced this before and it just made me wonder, is this a freaking pill, will I get sick! Looks like a crushed pill or maybe it is one of the ingredients? I was so disgusted for this to happen to my favorite peanut butter cookie. I don't know if I would want to purchase another 'Grandma's Cookies' after this incident. Did not find my receipt, but I hope to have this sorted out!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I purchased a variety pack that consisted different brands of Frito-Lays. I purchased the bag on September 11, 2017. I opened a bag of Frito's that were stale and it was expired. All of the Frito's and Sun chips were expired. The other chips in the bundle were good until the 26th of September. Why in the world would you put different dates in the bundle bags.

Frito Lay Company Information