1.39/5
Based on 36 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Friendly's

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Sept. 17, 2017

40 Friendly's Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

On September 15, I went to Friendly's with my husband and 2 friends and I was very disappointed. I usually go to Friendly's with my 4 grandchildren, daughter and son in law and husband and everything is usually okay. We went for the $2 quarter pounder burgers and fountain drinks. The waitress was nice and tried, but the experience was terrible.

We ordered 4 $2 burgers. We were told $.99 for French fries, $1.99 for waffle fries and $2.49 for a salad. My husband and friend ordered the salad. My friend and I ordered the fries. The waitress came back and said the salad would be $3.69. My husband and my friend changed to fries. We ordered 1 diet coke and 2 lemonades. I order iced tea and was told that is not included. We got square hamburgers that were not quarter pounders and no taste. We then ordered dessert. The bill came and the fries were now $1.99 each. We told the waitress and she said they changed the price. They would not take it off the bill. When we left, the sign said iced tea was included. I am totally upset about the entire situation.

Original review: July 27, 2017

I can't believe this place still has franchises open. It is absolutely horrible. Friendly's??? How about ** unorganized, terribly managed and unfairly priced. I watched our waitress seat people, including us, take orders at about 10 tables, run food to tables that were not hers and her own, buss and clean tables (hers and not hers), she said she would be back with our ice creams after SHE had to make them and I even think she had to go in the kitchen and make some of her own food for her tables. Meanwhile, I never saw a manager until this big blond lady came out of the back to use the bathroom.

She went past a table and grabbed a credit card receipt and handed it to our waitress while she was talking to us and said "make sure you close this out as soon as possible". I don't know what that really means but our poor waitress is literally running this restaurant and I'm assuming the manager only wants $ or has some kind of quota. What a lazy piece of crap! She could of grabbed a dirty glass or threw away the napkins but NO! Needless to say our waitress was great considering her endless duties. I feel bad for the people that work there. Not to mention, the food sucks!!! 10 for a burger with nasty cold fries. I've had better in a hospital. This place sucks and their management should be ashamed of themselves. You will go down. Hopefully soon.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: May 6, 2017

We went to the Agawam, Massachusetts Friendly's for lunch. There were empty booths and tables... in at least 30% of the restaurant. There was no one to greet us, and after 3-5 minutes someone came up to the hostess station and told us there would be a 20-30 minute wait because "the grill was backed up." What!? We very rarely go there due to very slow service, but this is ridiculous. With all the advertising they're doing, it would seem that they'd at least try and serve the customer a little bit better. I've given up on them. Go ahead and go out of business.

Original review: May 4, 2017

Went to Friendly's in Troy, NY a couple of days ago and couldn't get over how bad their Quesadillas are. For many years I couldn't find a restaurant that could compare with Friendly's Quesadillas and now I've got to say they are horrible, they've definitely come down about 10 notches. I heard that they switched vendors on their food products (must be of course to save money) but after this experience, I will no longer be a customer of Friendly's (not until they change vendors) and I will resort to making my own Quesadillas. Sorry Friendly's but you definitely slipped way down.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2016

My family and I went to Friendly's Restaurant in Norwood, MA recently and had a terrible experience in almost every way. First, it took about 15-20 minutes for someone to acknowledge us and come take our drink order. When I asked a waitress about it, the waitress was very rude and unfriendly. The funny thing is that it was lunch time, but there were not too many people in the restaurant that day at all. My family was already complaining about how Friendly's was notoriously slow, but this visit was ridiculous. We waited about 1 hour for our food (4 people all simple orders), and again, not super busy. The waitress did not visit the table even once during that time and did not appear to have any people skills or friendliness skills, ironically. She didn't come once in the entire meal to ask us about drink refills. She seemed bothered to even stop by.

We go out a lot to different restaurants, and this was one of the worst experiences we have had, if not the worst in a long time. The worst waitress we have had too. When the food finally did arrive, it was wrong on multiple accounts. I ordered the crispy chicken breast sandwich, and what I received were three sad chicken fingers on a hamburger bun. I called back the waitress and asked her about it, and she said they ran out of the crispy grilled chicken. Frustrated, I said, "Oh, Really? So, you just give me chicken fingers without telling me you ran out of my meal and without informing me that you were giving me something else? If I wanted chicken fingers, I would have ordered them..." To me, this was the antithesis of not caring.

Next, my wife ordered the Chicken Bacon Ranch salad with grilled chicken. It was missing the tortilla chips. It was missing the egg. It came with crispy chicken instead of grilled. And, it was the saddest looking salad I've even seen bar none; and this is coming from someone who worked in restaurants for nearly 10 years. There is more, but I think everyone gets the point and would agree that there was no excuse for this disastrous kind of service. So unfriendly. So not interested in serving us. So unprofessional. And, sooo long of a wait for absolutely no reason.

I thought the service was bad. Apparently, it wasn't as bad as Friendly's management who never even responded to this letter I send them, which is why I'm putting it here. Chipotle responded to my high praises of them the next day and to a recent complaint the same day. That is a business. Friendly's has become a disaster. No wonder so many of them are closing...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Friendlys?

Original review: July 7, 2016

Went tonight to celebrate my daughter's 4th and arrived at 9:20. Waited 15 to be seated. They only had one waiter, but wasn't that busy. First I order a salad. They didn't have nuts. When I asked for something they brought me some on the side. They couldn't sing happy birthday to my daughter because they had to close. Asked to speak with manager jen. She didn't have nothing to say. Very poor customer services.

Original review: July 3, 2016

Sunday, open at 7 am... first one there. 7:20 coffee delivered w/ menu. 7:28 placed order (2 eggs, coffee, toast, bacon & home fries). While waiting I'm looking around. Place is filthy. Table sticky. Floor dirty not vacuumed. Windows so dirty I can't see out. Then the food came... 7:49. Eggs - cold. Toast - old. Bacon & home fries - burnt. 7:53... complain. Waitress - "looks OK to me." I ask "is that burnt." Waitress "no but it is close." 8:05 paid 10.00 and left. Never going in that deplorable building again. Friendly's Mineral Spring Ave North Providence R.I. Building should be torn down. I will explain to friends how you couldn't even see out the windows. Just a dirty dirty building. I guess I was lucky enough to not have had to use the restroom. (I didn't eat.) NOT SO FRIENDLY.

Original review: May 6, 2016

I wanted to write a review about the Riverhead Friendly's that has bad service... They don't treat you right and had been waiting over an hour to get my ordered taken like really my son was hungry and wanted to eat pancakes and no one came to take our order. My family was with me too!!! There were 5 of us and my son. I asked the waitress why wasn't she taking my order and she didn't say anything. She just said that my waitress was running late. Meanwhile another group of people came after us and she helped them out, took their order and brought them appetizers. She told them the same thing that the waitress was running late but she went ahead to take their order!!!

Meanwhile my family and I been waiting over an hour. My son was starving and she didn't wanted to take my order!!! I walked out with my family after I saw that and the waitress just stared and smiled like really that's so much disrespect and unprofessional. Never again going to this place. Definitely going to tell more people about my experience!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2015

Friendly's yet again. We live 5 mins from Friendly's. My young teen son decided to walk down to get ice cream from the take out window. No one at the window. An hour later, my son had not returned. l called him on his phone. The next thing the door opens and in walks my son. l asked him, "Where's your ice cream?" He said "people saw me at the window but nobody came" so all in all he had waited over an hour and a half for an m&m ice cream.

You make me sick Friendly's. l shall never go there again and l will tell all my friends, all my church friends how badly you treat people. The headman at Friendly's needs firing as you need a complete overhaul in these chains of so called restaurants. You need to train all your staff and buy fresh produce and don't be so darn rude by ignoring my son for that amount of time and my son told me 3 people looked at him but just carried on ignoring him. Friendly's head person why not get Gordon Ramsay? I'm as that's the only thing that's going to save your restaurants as you can see they have all gone to the dogs so all l can say I'd bye bye Friendly's as you shall be shut down shortly l am sure.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2015

I had wrote to you people about me going to your friendly restaurant in Waterbury, CT. on Reidville Dr. and that I was very upset with their service. Well I went to the Friendly's in Naugatuck CT. on Rubber ave. I want to say that I was treated so very well by this young lady by the name of (Amy). She was very prompt and courteous and well spoken. I will be returning again very shortly. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2015

The Philly steak and cheese sandwich I got was honestly so disgusting. The bread was soggy with butter, and the steak was so oily it's not even funny. The whole sandwich was just a mess of oil, salt and steak and I have never been so disappointed in a sandwich before. The ice cream was the only thing I enjoyed here.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2015

I used to go to Friendly's all the time with my mom. They closed down at the Oakdale mall in Johnson City, so we slowly stopped going. We started missing it so we went to the Endicott NY Friendly's and the Friendly's by the mall. Both bad experiences. Horrible waiters and waitresses. Extremely rude. This place used to have FRIENDLY'S workers. Now all are just rude. The people we actually like are gone now. Horrible service. I do not recommend.

Original review: July 26, 2015

No longer have jelly package on the table for breakfast, only jelly available strawberry. No coffee pot left at table.

Original review: July 20, 2015

The local Friendly's has 2 really bad issues. 1 being the insanely poor customer service and lack of following health codes in the kitchen. The attitudes all around starting at the top. The main concern #2 is the worst and I hope OSHA comes in for the health of customers and workers. The a/c units as the managers and associates so freely tell you 2 of the 3 units have not worked in some time. It's 104 degrees in the building, they say that corporate hasn't approved the repair on the units yet. It's a inhumane work environment, yet managers and corporate can't even buy fans for them to try to cool down a bit. The ice cream melting too, food not kept at right temperature, soon people will be fainting or sick in these poor work conditions with no effort by anyone at all to address it immediately. The local TV now knows as well. As all of your reviews are bad, you need all new leadership starting with Top. Sad when customers need to be the voice of the workers.

Original review: July 9, 2015

My mother and I often eat at the Pennsdale/Lycoming Mall Friendly's because we are both Senior citizens and could get the free sundae after the meal. The food was always good, the service friendly. Since I cannot eat sugar I was delighted also to be able to get a sugar free sundae. Not anymore! Friendly's is getting out of the sugar free dessert market. The waitress and manager were very helpful in getting me the information for Friendly's headquarters, which I have since contacted. I will need to leave this very excellent restaurant until they upgrade their sugar free dessert menu.

Original review: June 25, 2015

I visited the Manchester CT restaurant and was very disappointed with the service provide - actually, with no service provided. Our server had an issue with her previous customers which she told us all about while taking our order. After that, we never saw her again. Later on we found out that the managers felt it necessary to take her into the office to discuss her previous customers and totally forgot about us. After waiting for a while, we requested to speak to the manager who came over and continued with the customer drama issue, explaining to us the reason why our server did not come back to us and was still in the office with another manager.

Per the manager, it appeared that our order was not even put in. After 15 minutes, we decided to leave. Horrible customer service. What type of manager takes a server from her job/customers and does not replace her nor has the common sense to deal with an employees problem after customers are taken care of. These people are in desperate need of some customer service training. Word of mouth is the best advertisement - please take your job seriously.

Original review: May 3, 2015

I just got Friendly's with my friends and I am very angry. It tasted like crap, the service was horrible, and we all threw up afterward. I am sick of food places like this. The ads and commercials are inaccurate and that is by far the worst food I have ever had.

Original review: April 25, 2015

Had gone into your restaurant for a small snack and then a three scoop sundae to go. The waitress handed me bag. I looked inside and I couldn't believe the size cup they used there was no possible way they fit a three scoop sundae in that cup - it was a kiddie size cup. The waitress then was arguing with me that the scoops are much smaller now. I still said "Look and feel how light this cup is. There was not even any whip cream or hot fudge." Does the person know the difference between a happy ending one and a three scoop one?

Original review: March 27, 2015

My family of 4 which is parents and two teenagers walked into Friendly's restaurant. We were sat right outside the kitchen doors which personally l believe should never have a table there due to comings and goings and the noise of the kitchen. 2 burgers were ordered, they were ok. The fries came in these ridiculous metal baskets which controlled the amount of fries everyone got, adult and children. The table was stained, the cutlery was dirty and sticky. l myself ordered the crispy chicken salad - the chicken was so hard l could not bite it. The only thing accompanied my hard chicken was baby tomatoes, 2 of which were black with dirt at the stem, wilted lettuce, bits of a boiled egg sprinkled on the top with some black crispy chips that looked like hairy spiders legs - nothing like the picture on the menu.

When our dinners arrived, the cooked food burgers and a grilled toasties came out first delivered by a gentleman dressed in black who had to put the tray on the table as he passed the three cooked meals around the table. I noticed how dirty his fingernails were. He apologized as he had not delivered food out before as he works in the kitchen. On watching him go back a few steps to the kitchen, l noticed how dirty the kitchen floor was. l did eventually get my salad as described above. l did advise my family not to eat their food because of the above but my 2 teenagers were starving and running late for a basketball game. They did, however, leave a large amount of food on their plates.

When the waitress who took our order came back at the end of our meal, she looked at the remaining food on our plates, looked at me, and stated the obvious, "You did not like it." l explain about my salad but she either did not know what to say or her mind was elsewhere but no reply. On ordering dessert, we asked, "Could we take them to go, would that be possible? Because if not, we would stay." She replied, "Oh no problem, we have special cups we put them in." So we put an order in, we got a brown bag with our dessert as we only live 5 mins from Friendly's in a car. When we got home, l took my lid off to eat my dessert when all l found was chopped up peanut butter cups in the bottom with watery cream, one large cup for a few pieces of chopped peanut butter pieces. The bill came to around $45.00 with tip. So l thought l would share with you my personal experience at Friendly's in Naugatuck CT.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2015

My husband and I ordered take out from Friendly's. When we arrived to get the food, it wasn't even ready yet. As we were waiting for the food, we noticed a cook SCRATCHING his head with his gloved hand and then he proceeded to touch the food and prepare it. When we said something to the manager, she acted as if it was ok that he had scratched his scalp and touched the food because he was preparing someone else's food, not ours. She said our food was being cooked by someone else. This did not matter to us because it still meant he had dug in his scalp and then continued cooking and touching people's food. That is RIDICULOUS. I feel sorry for whoever had to eat the food he prepared with his filthy scalp-scratching hands. Needless to say, we will NEVER eat there again!!!

Original review: July 25, 2014

I went to Friendly's in Liverpool, NY and had breakfast. I always enjoyed having the coffee pot left at the table so we did not have to wait for the waitress to return each time to refill cup. Well they changed the policy and stated that the management wanted the waitresses to pay closer attention to the customer by refilling each cup.

Well, the next time I went to Friendly's guess what, I got the cup of coffee and could not get a refill until after I had finished my breakfast. They lost my business as the only reason I went to Friendly's for breakfast was for the ease of getting coffee the breakfast itself is only soso! and without the coffee pot not worth the wait. With this, they have lost approximately 10 people that I know who went there for the coffee pot and ease for refilling our own cup. Maybe management will learn that sometimes just leave things the way they were.

Original review: June 21, 2014

So I ordered a salad at Friendly's on June 21st, and luckily I always toss the salad around before eating. To my surprise, there was nothing but dirty old disgusting lettuce at the bottom. They did offer to make another one for me, but I don't believe in sending food back in restaurants to get something else because I'm sure we've all heard horror stories about that.

Original review: May 27, 2014

My grandson passed his driver's test and I was treating him to lunch on the way home from the DMV. He said, "Let's go to Friendly's because I like it there." We ordered and then the waitress came back and said, "I'm sorry, we don't have any burgers until the truck comes in." It was 11:30 AM so it is not like they ran out for the day and the place was not busy that early. What a disappointment to my grandson when he couldn't get his favorite meal at Friendly's. How could they run out of burgers?? He had to get a grilled cheese sandwich (not the same). :-(

Original review: March 3, 2014

I want to complain about the Friendly's children's menu. I recently brought my two young daughters 10 & 6 to your restaurant in Chicopee Ma. They recently earned 2 free kids meals by completing a reading program that earned at school. We were all so excited about this accomplishment. So we planned this "special" night out and went on 2/20/2014. To say that we were disappointed is an understatement. The so called child servings are laughable. They each ordered the Mac and cheese with the hot dog meal and what we received was enough to feed a toddler. The Mac was served in a side dish cup which to my estimation does not measure out to even a 1/2 cup then the hot dog...tops cut off then cut in half then quartered. Just to make it clear my children are not obese - they are not greedy but they were still hungry after eating at your establishment. Seriously? I mentioned to the waitress how small the portion sizes were and she agreed...pretty sad. At the end it was not a great nor good experience at Friendly's...I will not be visiting your establishment again.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2014

We had an awful experience at the Friendly's in Cherry Hill, NJ, on Marlton Pike. We met friends there who we only see 1x/year. Not our favorite place but our 9 y/o and 5 y/o like it. I'll just list what happened: Took forever to have initial order taken. Got drinks, but also took forever to receive food. Bits of other people's food on two of our plates! Food is terrible (barely any cheese on grilled cheese, burnt sliders). Waitress seemed nervous shaken. No one came to check to see if we needed anything. No check to see if drink refills needed. Waitress finally took ice cream order. She seemed upset. No ice cream ever came. Customers around us also waiting. Finally hear that our waitress walked out and quit.

We hear 3 people quit. Other wait staff seemed to find it funny. We're asking for water for kids - asked for just their ice cream to go. Our ice cream order had never been submitted by waitress. After waiting again, nothing happens. Ask again and they finally give our kids ice cream to go. Give my son wrong ice cream. We get bill from new waiter - no discount offered as an apology. My husband talks to the manager who gives us 20% off bill. I'm thinking this terrible meal should have been free! After 1 1/2 - 2 hours we leave. Dad of our waitress comes in yelling that his daughter was physically attacked! Police come. Our kids get to see all this. And that sums it up.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2013

I went to the Friendly's restaurant in Hornell, NY with my parents who are both in their 50's. My mother walks with a cane because she has Multiple Sclerosis, and when we were seated, we were seated in the back of the house right next to the kitchen. It was as if the person who seated us had no consideration for the fact that my mother had mobility issues. Needless to say, it was almost 2 pm, after the lunch rush where there were tables not so far from the front doors available. We sat at the table for about 2 minutes and were given our menus and had our drink order taken. Although that was prompt enough, the waitress who served us seemed very rude. We were served our drinks within 5 minutes and placed our orders. That's when my dissatisfaction started.

The waitress who was working our section had maybe 3 tables to wait on if that, yet she walked by our table several times, never acknowledged that we were even there, never asked us how we were doing, nothing. We kept sitting there for approximately 35 minutes and were still not served. Finally, my father said enough was enough. He walked up to the waitress and said, "Listen, this is ridiculous. We should have been served our food over 10 minutes ago." He offered to pay for the drinks but informed her that we would be leaving and would not be paying for our food. We went to the local diner down the street and were not only able to sit close to the door, but were given menus and had our drink orders taken immediately, but were also given our food within 12 minutes. I can't believe that a chain restaurant would be so poorly managed and staffed. If anything, boycott them, they aren't worth anyone's time or money.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2013

Me and my daughter and granddaughter went to go eat at Friendly’s in Chicopee, MA on Memorial Dr on Thursday night about 5:30 for supper. My granddaughter ate the kids meal it had homburg sliders. She ate one. We went back home and then later that evening she was complain of stomach. Then about a half hour later she was vomiting. We had brought the home that she didn't eat and later my daughter ate it and was vomiting. I called them and went over there. On the phone they told me the district manager would call me back, I got a phone call after I went there to complain. Her name Is Lori, I try to call back but no answer left a message. I would never go back to Friendly again nor my daughter.

Original review: May 30, 2013

My husband stopped at the Windsor Locks, CT Route 75 store, to get me my usual treat (hand packed chocolate almond chip ice cream). He asked for two individual sides of hot fudge. Usually, this costs around $5. His order was taken by the shift manager (around 8:45PM on 5/29/13). The bill came to over $7 which my husband paid. He asked to see the receipt. The ice cream was $3.49, the two small containers of hot fudge was $3.98. My husband then said to the manager that the hot fudge cost more than the ice cream. The manager said nothing as I stared at him. I then said I did not want the hot fudge, just the ice cream and that I wanted my money back. When two tablespoons of hot fudge cost $4, then your sense of value has been lost.

Original review: May 28, 2013

I waited for over half an hour for someone to serve me at Friendly's Restaurant at Yonkers, NY. The place was dirty and the staff was rude. The waiters were just sitting around and talking. The manager had to have control of the staff. There was food all over the floor behind the counter, and I am sure they violate at least 10 health code violations.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2012

My boyfriend and I went out to eat at the Friendly's in Farmingdale, NY last night and our experience was awful to say the least. When we walked in, we were not greeted and it literally took them 15 minutes to ask us what we wanted to drink. We ordered our food with our drinks and waited at least 30 minutes for our food. Keep in mind, a couple behind us ordered their food about 1 minute before we did and they had already received their food, eaten and were paying by the time we got ours. When our food arrived, my boyfriend's was cold (it was a hot sandwich) and mine had mustard all over it when I had specifically ordered it without. The waitress seemed more annoyed than sorry for replacing it and said, "Well, I guess we are just going to have to remake it." Another ten minutes later, my sandwich arrived and someone else delivered it saying, "Are you the one who sent back her sandwich?" in a snotty tone. Our waitress never checked to see if our food was okay or if we needed anything.

We ordered ice-cream to go when we were done and it took another 10 minutes to get it. Keep in mind, there were only a few other people in the restaurant! I saw our waitress holding our bag with ice-cream walking around the restaurant with it as the bag kept hitting chairs and flying all over the place. Nice. When she gave us our ice-cream, she gave us our check as well and hovered over us like a vulture waiting for her tip. Yeah right, lady. That was the first time I didn't leave a tip at a restaurant. It was the worst experience I think I have ever had at Friendly's and we usually love going there. Something has changed and we will not be going back.

Friendly's Company Information