2. Shopping
  3. Meal Delivery Service

4.5/5 (408 ratings)

About Freshly

Healthy, gourmet, chef-prepared meals delivered to your door.

How Freshly Works:

1 - Choose Your Meals. You pick your meals from our constantly rotating weekly menu of more than 30 different gluten-free options.

Freshly Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freshly?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freshly?

Resolution response: May 5, 2021

Thank you!

Original review: May 4, 2021

I wanted to take a moment to thank Freshly for their service over the last several months. I have been on a temporary duty for the military away from my home and family for 9 months. I do not have access to a kitchen in my current living quarters, and have done meal plans in the past from a local vendor in my last location, but have never done meal delivery like this before.

I first came across Factor, and used them for the first three months. They were okay at first, but the meals weren't great, and then their packaging started to decline and I was receiving meals that were broken with loose food in the box, and some of the "sealed" meals would also go bad within a couple days. I left their service and came across Freshly. Not only have the meals always arrived on time and lasted through their recommended use date, but they've always been packaged well and never broken/damaged. Additionally, the meal plan is cheaper and the food tastes excellent. I also enjoyed the variety, and would change up my meals every week. Not the chicken Tikka Masala though, I got that every week and have enjoyed it every time.

My 9 month training is coming to an end next week and the meals I'm receiving today will be my last for a while as I transition to a more permanent home elsewhere. My new duty station has a meal-planning service locally, and I'm tempted to switch to them based on cost and location, but either way, it has been a pleasure working with your company over the last 6 months or so, and if I do decide to go back to a meal delivery service, Freshly will be the first company I turn to.

I mentioned above that I've been apart from my family and home for about 9 months. Living in a temporary living facility can really wear on someone, especially when they're used to home-cooked meals every day. I can't overstate the significance of receiving these healthy, non-preservative "home-cooked" meals every week. Your company has made a significantly positive impact on my life experience over the last several months, and I am very appreciative for that. Wishing your company the greatest success, it has been a pleasure!

Freshly response

William, what a wonderful review! I thank you for the 5-star review, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading of your history with Freshly. I can't begin to explain how thrilled I am that you've enjoyed the meals, and they've come to you safe and sound. While packages with any service provider can break due to carrier handling while being shipped, I'm so happy to hear that you've not had that experience with our packaging! William, thank you again! You are the best part of Freshly!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

As a single woman who has spent the better part of her life struggling with her weight and dieting, I know how overwhelming it can be when you are looking at a meal service. There are SO many options, more than ever, and with influencers making ads look like every day life, it's even harder to know which one is actually good and worth trying. I can tell you from experience that Freshly is probably the best one. I've never used the services with recipes, so I can't speak for that. But for ones with ready made meals, Freshly hits it out of the park.

This is my second cycle with Freshly, and they are consistently good. For starters, it's easy to choose meals at their site. They have a nice variety for picky eaters (like me). They are reliable - when they say they are going to arrive, they do. They are well packaged in climate controlled boxes (ice packs). And the food is pretty darn good. They are fresh (not frozen), and while there have been only 2 meals I didn't care for, the quality of the food overall is great. The meats, especially, are fantastic. If you order Homestyle chicken, for example, be prepared for a full white meat chicken breast which is so moist and juicy it's hard to believe it's prepackaged food. Lastly, it is easy to cancel or put your subscription on hold if you need a break for whatever reason. I just wanted to be another reviewer in this long line of happy customers to let you know that Freshly is worth your business.

Freshly response

Oh wow, you can say that again, Cher! Your feedback is what keeps us going so thanks for showering us with your Freshly love! Carry on and keep enjoying as we get the ball rolling each week! Thanks for your 5-star review -- we are truly grateful!

Get buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

I cannot cook. I can follow a recipe, but it never comes out right and I don't have a ton of time in the evenings. I'm a single, working-woman so these quick meals work perfect. I tried similar services but it takes 45 minutes to an hour to prepare. With Freshly you just pop it in the microwave for 3 mins max and dinner is ready. Food tastes great too! Sometimes I take these for lunch if I'm running short on time and can't make a quick sandwich. I have already referred a few friends and they love it. But I keep forgetting to use my referral code.

This works for me. Some may say it's pricey, but I get 4 meals for about $56 including shipping. I don't make a ton of money, but I do pay for the convenience. This is also healthier than the lean cuisines I was eating. I am still a little surprised by the sodium levels of the meals, but far better than me eating frozen microwavable food. I recommend plating the food instead of eating out of the tray, as recommended; it feels like an actual home cooked meal that way. Although you can freeze these trays, I always eat them fresh within the 4-5 days. After all, it is called Freshly.

Freshly response

Hi Jeanette! Thank you so much for your kind review! I loved your review and you said some perfect benefits of having our meals delivered. I'm thrilled you're enjoying your meals, and we hope you continue to enjoy! I'll reach out to your privately to assist you with your referral code application. We want to make sure you benefit from using your promo code!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2020

UPDATED 3/11/2021: I previously submitted a review of this company but over the past few weeks their service has declined. In 3 weeks, received 3 wrong meals and one shipment shipped a day late. Hope their service improves.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: When I first started using Freshly, (approximately 9 months ago) I figured to get my meals, for the few weeks the discount promo covered and then discontinue. But I enjoyed the meals so much and they were so convenient. I am 74 and live by myself, and the variety and convenience appealed to me. As I look back, here are some of the reasons I continue to be a member: (Not in order of importance).

First: Convenience - Reduced Shopping. Important to me as I age and with the Corona Virus cautions I have to take because of age. Second: Taste - The taste is not quite as good as home or restaurant prepared and served and eaten directly from the kitchen, but far better than frozen or prepackaged meals from Grocery stores. Third: Quality - The meats are generally VERY tender and moist, and proportioned well, usually generous, once and a while a little skimpy. Vegetable sides are crispy and properly cooked. Pasta is aldente (sp?) and tasty. And sauces and seasonings are right on. Sometimes a little on the bland side, but that fits my taste and diet perfectly.

Fourth: Reliability - Not one delivery missed in 9 months. I know that is a great part to do with the carrier, but it also indicates great logistics support from Freshly itself. Fifth: Consistency - Dishes are pretty consistent from week to week. Same dish taste is very consistent, Improvements are implemented, but mostly for the better. Sixth: Price - There are several considerations for me here: I live alone and know how to cook. I am older and accomplish things slower than I used to. I live on a fixed income. When you consider, gas, food costs, tips, and Corona Virus restrictions, Freshly is considerably cheaper than eating out with a small trade-off in quality. Compared to home prepared, you would have to maintain a well stocked (costly) pantry to have the variety that Freshly offers, and living alone that is especially true.

Seventh: Time - Preparation 3 min vs 30 min or more to cook yourself, (less if you reheat a prepackaged dish - UGH!). 1-2 hours or more if you eat out. Plus no dishes to wash if you choose to use the packages the meals come in. Eighth: Nutrition - Each meal is well balanced and you can indicate a limited number of dietary preferences, and the site will show warning symbols if the particular dish fall outside these. In my experience (and this is my opinion only - not any sort of advice, medical or otherwise) (CYA Statement) I have felt better, more energetic and full of life since eating 6 Freshly meals a week.

Ninth: Customer Service - Rarely needed, but when you do they are fast, courteous, and go the extra mile to help you solve whatever issue you have. That's my experience, could Freshly do better - Of course, we all can. But so far so good, keep up the good work. Read it (if you have the patience), Ignore it (At your own peril of missing out on something good), Act on it (and maybe never be the same).

Freshly response

Hello William, thank you so much for sharing your Freshly love with us! Our hearts are so full of your kind words and appreciation! We're also very happy to hear that our meals and service are a great help to you during these trying times! We hope you continue to love our meals and service!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

Got my food yesterday, started with the County Style chicken over mac-N- cheese W green beans. I would have sworn a chef came out of my kitchen to my table and delivered a freshly cooked meal!! OUTSTANDING FOOD!! That chicken was so moist and tender it has to be the BEST chicken I've ever had! And I had had some amazing food before I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease (Gluten Intolerance - This is NOT the same as a Gluten allergy; if there is such a thing...). Tried the Beef Pilaf w Broccoli veg for lunch today. Still GREAT FOOD!! I am ecstatic with this food! 2 days and finally convinced my husband to try it, so we'll see... He has different dietary needs that I do. I had extensive recons and wasn't eating, maybe a little bit at nightructive intestinal surgery just shortly.

Freshly response

Perfectly splendid! Hearing this is truly a joy to behold. I'll be sure to share this win with our hardworking chefs, it'll absolutely blow their socks off knowing our meals were able to capture your tastebuds! Thanks for your incredible review, Janice, and cheers to more delicious meals your way!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

The food always arrives on time. There are a lot of selections to choose from. The food is fresh and delicious. It’s nice just opening the refrigerator and finding delicious prepared dinners. I highly recommend Freshly!

Freshly response

We're so glad to hear that we were a fit! Thanks for reviewing us, Harriet!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

I have been using Freshly for several months now after trying many different food delivery services. The meals are healthy, portioned perfectly and easy to heat in the microwave! They have new meals added weekly so that you can have variety. I like the balance of vegetarian and meat options to give people more choices. Packaging is top notch with sustainable and recyclable materials that actually keep the food cold through the entire shipping process. In fact, one time I wasn’t able to pick up my box for 12 hours after it was delivered and all the food was still cold!

Freshly response

Vince, we're beyond delighted to hear that we're a perfect match for you! Thank you for your stellar review and for being the best part of the Freshly Fam!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2021

I’ve been with Freshly for over a year, since COVID hit. Overall, I’ve been very pleased with both the food and the delivery service. I’ve had very few issues, and when I did they were quickly resolved. Great job!

Freshly response

Yay! We're happy to hear that you've been pleased with your experience with us thus far! We're always striving to ensure we get all issues resolved fast and easy. Thanks for sharing!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

I've subscribed for Freshly and tried my first week. Me and my husband didn't like the food, so I went and unsubscribed, but my next order still was in the queue to deliver, which I wasn't aware of, I thought it would be canceled since I canceled subscription before order was shipped. I receiver email from freshly on Monday at 6 pm that my order has been shipped. I didn't have time to contact them that minute, so I messaged customer order next morning at 7:30 am, but they told me if I would call them last night at 6 they would take care of it, but since it's been shipped, they can't do anything anymore. I have to throw away over $100 of food, because it's not good. I will never subscribe to Freshly again, because it seems like rip off.

Freshly response

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us! I'm so sorry to hear about your delivery experience. This is surely not the kind of experience we wish for any of our customers to have. I'd love to take a deeper look into this for you and see how we can make this a better experience. I'll be reaching out to you privately to gather further information.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

The food is pretty good when you can get it. They started using a company Axlehire to do their shipping. They are horrible. I have had multiple instances where they say it’s delivered, but it’s not. I’ve called and had specific instructions but I continue to get nothing. Freshly always tried to help out, but it is useless when you have already planned your weekly meal prep with their food. Think carefully before choosing. There are more reliable services out there. I cancelled my service because of the company they use to get the food to you.

Freshly response

James, I'm so sad to hear of these delivery issues and I would like to see if I can help. I will reach out to you via private response to see if we can figure another option to this issue. Thank you for reaching out to us via your review, and I'll be sure to follow up with you. Thank you.

Freshly Company Information