3.76/5
Based on 25 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

25 Farmland Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I only and always buy Farmland bacon, usually the Classic or Low Sodium, which is plenty salty for us. Only one other time in maybe 15 years or more have I been so disappointed. And it was the same problem. There were no nice strips of bacon in the package. None. All the bacon was stringy. There were long ropes of fat the length of what would have been a bacon strip. Very little meat in all that mess. There was about a pinky-finger sized chunk of hard, tough ham-like meat that looked like over-cooked ham. It was just stuck in the package with the rest.

I never buy other brands and I sure don't buy off-brand, cheap bacon. But I would bet their bacon looked better than this! There was no way this bacon could be served as a breakfast meat. I used the little that I could by adding it to a chowder. Somebody had to know they were packaging this product in a trusted Farmland package. Sad. That person has let down Farmland and a loyal Farmland customer.

Original review: March 17, 2018

Bought this Sausage at my local Walmart. It was on sale (red flag). Cooked it this morning for family and it was the worst sausage ever. Out of a pound of sausage I got over 1/2 cup grease. I could not believe all the grease that fried out of it. Also it tasted VERY salty. Buyer beware! Stick to my Bob Evans from now on.

Get expert buying tips about Bacon Brands delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

Bought this classic cut bacon at the local grocery store. Fried it up. Served it to my family with some fried eggs and OMG, it tasted like pure salt. We couldn't eat it. It was awful. Don't know if we got a bad batch or if it always tastes like that. Had to throw it away. Will not be wasting my money on trying it anymore. Bacon is not cheap!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

When you bite into a piece of Farmland bacon, it tastes like you're biting into HAM. It is so very delicious. I buy it whenever my local supermarket has it... Which is not all the time!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

It's a good bacon and I buy it because of the price. If you take your time to check inside the package, By peeking, you can get the best lean bacon. It has a good flavor and Cooks up easily. It's great every way you use it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farmland?

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

Thick Sliced Hickory Smoked Bacon - I have enjoyed Farmland bacon for several years. I always inspect the packages, seeking an acceptable level of meat, with a minimum of fat. I recently selected a 24 ounce package with a nice looking slice visible at the visible end of the package. That slice turned out to be the only acceptable slice in the package, clearly inserted visibly to mislead the consumer. I cut the excess fat off the remaining slices, which trimmed ten (10) of the twenty-four ounces purchased.

When the other slices and pieces were cooked, the amounted to five (5) ounces of edible cooked bacon. Assuming a package price of $10, the edible product in this package cost $32/pound. I resent the deceptive packaging. I am disappointed that Farmland would permit or possibly encourage, as a matter of policy, this dishonest practice. I will be reluctant to purchase Farmland products in the future if no assurance is forthcoming that the practice has been discontinued, as a matter of company policy. Thanks for the opportunity to express my concern in this matter.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

Purchased two packages at Publix. Have never ever in 50 years of marriage seen such fatty bacon! It was bad, the grease almost overflowed my frying pan. Not only was the one end nothing but fat, but the strips themselves had one little "stripe" of bacon, the rest was fat. A whole package made enough for two people; hardly anything there. Pay cash for groceries and don't keep the receipt. Never found it necessary. Oh, and by the way, the fat was covered by the wrapper or we would not have purchased it.

Original review: March 17, 2016

Smoked and normal thickness. I buy bacon at either Schnucks or Walmart. If it's too ** high, I don't buy it. However, it's a "stock up" item and usually one or the other has it on sale. Best way to do bacon is for us, all by itself until fat renders grease. Then, slice potatoes with pepper and sunny side up or flipped eggs. Finish the crisp level in a microwave.

Original review: March 17, 2016

Low salt and soy free. Product is very consistent from package to package. Would be reluctant to make a switch. Nothing special. We keep it frozen until we are ready for it. Then zap it in the microwave. Usually have to reposition on the tray to balance exposure.

Original review: March 17, 2016

I like smoked, it feels outdoorsy. I flip often so that the bacon is very evenly cooked. I also cook it over pretty low heat so that it doesn't burn, and I empty the grease out before putting more in the pan so it doesn't cook too fast.

Original review: March 17, 2016

I like peppered because it has a sharp taste. I cook it in a pan on medium heat. Turning quite often. I like it crispy. This works better if the bacon is thick, which is what I like. You can taste the flavor.

Original review: March 17, 2016

Wood smoked...applewood, cherrywood, oakwood, etc. The grocery stores in the area (30-mile radius) don't seem to have any problem keeping Farmland thick-sliced bacon in stock and on sale most of the time. I use a special rack that I found several years ago that would hold the bacon on the edge and pretty much out of the pool of grease. I like my bacon mostly crisp.

Original review: March 17, 2016

I prefer extra thick cut or maple bacon for the flavor and thickness. I don't care for peppery bacon, thin cut, or fatty. Also not a fan of pre-cooked bacon. I have never experienced an issue finding Farmland thick cut bacon at my local Reasor's or Wal-mart. They typically have other varieties of the same brand as well. Baked in the oven - 400 degrees for 22 minutes on a seasoned baking sheet in a conventional oven. I don't flip halfway through, and it ends up well cooked and crispy, just the way I like it. Farmland extra thick bacon has a consistent flavor while being budget friendly. It's not too sweet or salty, and also isn't overly fatty so the size of each strip maintains pretty well even after cooking. I recommend for bacon lovers that don't want to spend a fortune.

Original review: March 17, 2016

I'm partial to smoked bacon if I'm using it in a dinner dish, and sweetened bacon if I'm going to be consuming it for breakfast. My go-to store is always fully stocked with Farmland bacon, and it is generally on sale, which is why that's my go-to brand. I use my non-stick Caphalon pan to cook bacon. I have never added additional spices, but now seriously thinking about it.

Original review: March 17, 2016

Smoked bacon is my go-to option if I have the choice. I like the smokey taste of the meat after it is cooked in the oven when it is not burnt. My grocer regularly stocks the good stuff. Long as they have some thick sliced tasty looking bacon available, I am OK.

Original review: March 17, 2016

Applewood smoked bacon. Farmland's is the best flavored that I have found locally. The flavor is perfect: not too smoky. The thickness is perfect. Most Applewood bacon is thick-cut and I find it hard to chew. Farmland's is a normal thickness. Walmart was where I discovered the bacon. Slowly, other markets have begun to carry. You have to be careful when buying it because those stores will charge the same price as Walmart but for 12 ounces instead of 16 ounces.

Don't cook on a heat higher than medium or it will burn. Turn the bacon frequently for even browning. Use nonstick for easy clean-up. Breakfast isn't breakfast without bacon sizzling on the stove. Years ago I discovered Applewood smoked bacon made by Neiman Ranch at my local Trader Joe's. The flavor was out of this world. Then Neiman's was sold and the flavor changed, so I started looking for another brand. There were not many out there at the time and all were disappointing either in flavor, texture and thickness. Then a Walmart supercenter opened near me and I found Farmland brand Applewood smoked bacon. I haven't looked back since.

Original review: March 17, 2016

Smoked seems to me, more flavorful, and crispier than other brands that I have tried. The Farmland brand that I tried about 3 weeks ago shrinked too much when pan fried. This brand is well stocked at my local grocer, and is usually overpriced for my budget, is lower priced than most of the other brands in the store. I have found that when pan frying the Farmland brand, I get less shrinkage when I use low heat. There is also less shrinkage if cooked in the microwave, but has a tougher chew. I have found that the thick sliced, smoked bacon fries better and is more flavorful. Oven fried bacon seem to be crispier. Crumbled bacon used in salads tends to give an added flavor.

Original review: March 17, 2016

I prefer either the plain, simple bacon or occasionally the peppered kind, just because it is a little like beef jerky that way. I usually shop at the Kroger stores and generally here in my local area. They have it in stock always. If not I buy another brand. Other than using a splatter screen on the stove top, I add nothing to it so I get its natural flavor as it was intended to have.

I always check the pricing. If it's too expensive I'll put that dish on hold and wait for it to drop in a few weeks. I'm always watching for poor marbling and too much fat, there's got to be some meat on it for good flavor. I inspect each package to the best of my ability & prefer packaging that allows you to see most of what you're buying. Any brand that the package hides most of the meat is not a consideration for me.

Original review: March 17, 2016

The plain bacon... smoked is good too. I guess I just like bacon. I occasionally have tried sweetened, but I do know I don't like pepper, so peppered isn't something I care for. We have Walmart, Food City, Aldis, Save A Lot, SAM'S Club and Cosco in the area, plus a few small grocery stores. So if it's not available at one, try another. Fried on the stove top - water in the skillet at the start, or just let my son fry it or cook it in the microwave. Sometimes it gets it crunchy. Otherwise I just buy precook end or bacon bits. Sometimes it gets crunchy when cooked in the microwave, you have to watch it closely. Adding water at the start of cooking helps it lay flatter. If the bacon is too thick it will curl up unless you cut slits in the sides of it.

Original review: March 17, 2016

Smoked is always best. Yes, the good bacon is always in stock and that's good cause we use plenty of it. Bacon wrapped olives are my go to snack but I also love it on grilled cheese. Medium heat in a cast iron fryer and only flipped once, and never really crispy but fried soft. Cut in half before frying so it fits better in the pan. Expense is always a factor and the price keeps going up but inconsistent flavor or concerns over food safety would definitely make me think twice.

Original review: March 17, 2016

Publix usually stocks Farmland but sometimes only the thick sliced. I have told several employees and the manager how good Farmland is and Publix should continue to sell it. I've tried many brands but none can match Farmland in any category or test. If I can find it, that's what I buy. At times I've had to use something else to my disappointment.

Original review: March 17, 2016

Applewood Smoked Bacon. I shop primarily at Publix. It's rare for them to be out of stock, very rare. Unlike Wal-Mart, who is oblivious to what people are buying. Iron skillet for frying. Heavy baking pan for oven. For the microwave, I use one of those special bacon platters that allow the grease to drip off. It would have to get real expensive before I would give it up. Quality and safety are always on my mind.

Original review: March 17, 2016

Thick applewood smoked. Publix always has my bacon in stock and on the shelf. Sometimes on sale and buy one get one. Rarely when I ready to purchase is it not available at a good price. We've frozen it for future use and it freezes well. Baked in the oven, I use a jellyroll pan covered with foil. Place in oven and turn oven on at 400 degrees. Allow to cook for 17 minutes, turn bacon over and continue to cook checking at 2 minute intervals.

Original review: March 17, 2016

The biggest problem I have is finding a bacon that is not smoked. Cooking on the stove top seems to be the easiest method for me. I have never tried doing it in the oven and I don't have any special equipment to do it in the microwave. Bacon being too fatty will keep me from buying it again - and, of course, being smoked, since I do not care for smoked bacon.

Original review: March 17, 2016

Farmland Classic Cut - Applewood. Like the taste better than smoked, peppered. As long as store carries it, I have no problem. If they stop carrying it, I would request they bring it back ASAP and bug them until they did. I PREFER fried on stove top but USUALLY microwave it to save time. I place it on 1-2 paper towels and put another on top to get rid of some of the grease. I do this about 1/2 way thru and then turn it and replace paper towels with new. Some bacon is EXTREMELY fat - I won't buy those. I will go thru every package to see how the back looks and usually can tell. Farmland is pretty good.

Farmland expert review by Jim Angelus

Farmland Foods is one of the largest agricultural producers in North America. The company is known for its large collection of bacon flavors, cuts and types.

• Slow smoked: To give its bacon the maximum flavor, Farmland slow smokes it over real hardwood.

• All sorts of cuts: To satisfy the preferences of every customer, Farmland offers standard-cut, thick-cut and center-cut bacon.

• Uncured bacon is offered: For those concerned about additives, Farmland also produces uncured bacon with a smoked hickory flavor.

• Excellent technique: Farmland hand trims select cuts to guarantee the right consistency.

• Widely available: Farmland bacon can easily be found at major retailers, making it accessible to nearly every customer.

• Best for: Bacon aficionados will enjoy testing all the different types of bacon offered by Farmland, and those looking to add bacon into certain dishes will find the range of choices useful.

Profile picture of Jim Angelus
Jim Angelus Bacon Contributing Editor

Jim Angelus has 25 plus years of restaurant experience, and he brings this experience to his food truck. Bacon Bacon is a place where foodies and bacon lovers generally can find mouthwatering meals in a friendly atmosphere. Jim opened his food truck in 2010. It is now a popular bay area food truck and sandwich shop, open seven days a week for breakfast and lunch. Bacon Bacon has appeared on Food Network, CNN and Discovery Network. Most important to Jim, he has a successful business that allows him participate in the industry he is most passionate about and be home in time to put dinner on his family’s table.

Farmland Company Information