2. Shopping
  3. Food Products

3.7/5 (112 ratings)

About Chicken of the Sea

Chicken of the Sea Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chicken of the Sea?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chicken of the Sea?

Original review: Jan. 3, 2012

Purchased several cans of Chunk White Tuna in water which were actually in oil. Is this a common problem where the tuna is mislabeled?

Original review: Nov. 11, 2011

I opened on 11/11/11 a can of solid white albacore tuna in water to make a sandwich for my work day, best by 4/27/15 (hitck aswab)21:29 .On my second bite there was something hard inside. Upon my examining of sandwich I noticed 2 small fragments which myself and co-workers examined and discarded the rest of sandwich and I still process the pieces for further examination.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2011

I bit into a bone while eating tuna casserole. This was the second can of tuna, the first being Trader Joe's. I don't know which had the bone in it. Please replace.

Original review: May 19, 2010

My family ate the Chicken of the Sea tuna in oil that we purchased from Food-4-Less in Palomar Chula Vista, CA, and we all had a food poisoning due to a bacteria or Salmonella. I was hospitalized and confirmed that I had a food poisoning. I am requesting to have these items pulled from the store and before someone else will be affected. I had severe abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhea. I was not able to work because of this incident.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2007

DEAR MAGAZINE EDITORS!

CAN YOU PLEASE TELL US WHOM COULD BE CONCERNED ABOUT THIS NATIONAL CONCERN...AFFECTING OUR FAMILIES ALL OVER THE UNITED STATES? THE CORPORATE OFFICES OF THESE DIFFERENT MANUFACTURERS OF SEAFOOD, I.E., TUNA FISH ETC., ARE IN SO MANY LOCATIONS, WE DON'T KNOW TO WHOM WE SHOULD ADDRESS OUR COMPLAINT? THANKS !!FOR FORWARDING!

DEAR CONCERNED CONSUMERS ETC:
MOM'S AND MEAL PREPARATION AND CAREGIVERS!

I bought several cans of tuna (small cans to keep fresh each serving, sandwich etc.)at Von's in November, in preparation for two specific dishes I planned to make over the holidays. One is an artichoke-tuna salad, the other a casserole, and of course, since we all like "white chunk tuna" sandwiches, I figured six cans would do it!

Last week, unfortunately, in the middle of all the busy Christmas preparations, I opened two cans of

Chicken of the Sea brand "Chunk white tuna" in water I believe (didn't matter for the recipe, oil, or water)...to discover in both cans, ABSOLUTELY NO CHUNKS contained in either of the two cans...I packed the "dog food, flakes in appearance" which resembled minced clams, with allot of mushy "tuna colored" fluid..but no chunks whatsoever! I packed up the two cans and their contentents and took it back to the Von's where I'd bought them, a time-consuming feat, but necessary

I believe... The manager at the Harbor Von's here in Ventura, read the top of the can to be "SM6H24CICJwit6". As I placed the tuna flakes in their respective cans, on the counter, the lady behind me remarked..."Oh, there's nothing you can do about that..they're ALL like that!" I replied, yes, and we're paying for each and every one of them, not to mention the gas to get into the car to go to the store to buy the NEW REPLACEMENT CANS OF TUNA.

According to the photos on the cans of the Chicken of the Sea brand...the 'chunk" tuna should show some resemblance of a "large piece" of tuna, or a rounded, sort of jigsaw picture of a group of at least five or six chunks of tuna in it. Not so in either of these...and to my discouragement, neither did the cans of "Star Kist" either! I called John, the Manager at the Von's on Main St., near Ventura Avenue, and told him I'd had it! I brought my can opener with me yesterday and went through seven cans of "$.99" sale items of "so called chunk" tuna...until the place started to smell like a cat farm!

Yuck-I had to be sure there were CHUNKS of tuna..the quality OF the tuna, in the small flake or minced, or thickly tuna flavored watery substance, could really not be detected adequately, as when one bites into a chunk, there's a flavor there...one cannot "bite into" flakes of tuna floating around..and nobody wants it in their sandwiches..so I therefore contend, that you're selling CAT FOOD UNDER THE AUSPICIOUS of it being "quality chunks of tuna fish".

If six out of six cans, three from each different store, are flakes, not chunks, then isn't there a pretty good possibility that this is NOT a quality control problem? The Bumble bee tuna was "thicker" flakes, but flakes no less, and no chunks too. This group of canned tuna might have all been bad..but what are the chances that three cans of Chicken of the Sea from Von's , three from Albert son's, and the other three specifically from the different brand., i.e., Bumble Bee brand...being an "accident" by a conveyor belt or a packing machine? the bumble bee can was #6234MR4CTP. It appears to me that ALL THREE COMPANIES are packing flakes instead of chunks...and they can't blame it on the trucking companies' movements causing the tuna to "settle" in the can, either!

I think someone ought to file a case and let THEM SETTLE, AS THIS IS FALSE ADVERTISING, AND CAUSING MANY MOMS EXCESSIVE TRIPS OUT OF THEIR WAY...JUST TO FIX A GOOD TUNA SANDWICH!

We think that someone from an agency totally unconnected with any of the companies, should conduct their own "spot" test, and pull obscurely, cans of tuna on a week to week basis, from all three companies, (opening them at the store to save gas and time!) and report exactly how many of these CANS OF "CHUNK" TUNA, consist OF "any chunks of tuna" at all! We even opened a large $3.69 can or two, to find one or few chunks of about the size of a dime stacked three times..no large chunks at all...no meat, just flakes and water.

As the lady said in the line behind me.."There's nothing we can do about it, they're all like that" isn't good enough for me. I feel that for every can of tuna worth about $.15, with their "always on sales" of $.99 cents a can-their profit for not ever even inserting ANY chunks in their "chunk tuna" cans as advertised, is about $.85 per can.

We also think that the only way to resolve this, if their production control can't be changed, or "won't" become corrected, they should be required to pack their tuna in SEE THROUGH LIDS, or even totally see-through packets, such as they already have, yet they're not see through, just made of pliable easy to ship, foil.

Since most of us, the moms whose families like tuna casserole, sandwiches, and something meaty to bite into among the celery and pickles salads...and don't really have time to gather to form a class action and spend many years in court...we 're counting on YOU to help resolve this in a reasonable fashion.Perhaps ONE QUICK RESOLUTION would be for each store manager to bring his own can opener and open several cans of "advertised chunk" tuna...document it, and eventually STOP ORDERING ANY CHUNK TUNA from that company tested and found to be selling "flakes in water." But this would be causing allot of havoc on behalf of the grocery store personnel whom we feel is already under much stress dealing with our complaints, as well as trying to assemble falsely advertised products!

While you 're at it, could you please explain how "new packaging in foil" causes the price of the ounces of tuna to DOUBLE AND TRIPLE...while the previous practice of "canning" the tuna is more expensive to produce?

Original review: Jan. 4, 2006

On 12/31/05 my wife opened a can of Chicken of the Sea Chunk White Albacore Tuna and found several pieces of either glass or plastic slivers within the meat of the fish. She asked me to inspect the can of Tuna and I confirm her findings.

Dimensions are about 1mm x 7 mm.

We have purchased this product for over 20 years and never had any problems.
The markings on the cans are as follows:
ME4DG

12CDG

I am glad we did not consume the product.

Please notify the company concerning our findings.

Thank You.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2003

I found stuff in the can of oysters that looked almost like hair off of a mouse. I didn't find it until I got to the bottom of the bowl of oyster stew. God knows I wanted to throw up. That was the second can I found the mouse hair like stuff in. I buy chicken of sea canned whole oysters and tuna and I have never had anything like that happen.

Chicken of the Sea Company Information